This day on May 2
None

Happy Birthday To: Oil Fan stuck in Cowtown, Filthy, Yozzy, oilymion, Blurr, mandingo, Smyty98

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798971]
Wed, 02 February 2022 17:05 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Send a private message to this user  

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798972 is a reply to message #798971 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Score & Win

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

IRe: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798973 is a reply to message #798971 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

I'm smelling... UPSET. (might be that old milk in the fridge as well) icon_nod

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798976 is a reply to message #798971 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

It’s crazy that after 40 years of being a public figure, Wayne Gretzky still looks vaguely uncomfortable whenever he’s on camera.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798979 is a reply to message #798976 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Shocker: OIL score first. god

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798983 is a reply to message #798979 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

watchman wrote on Wed, 02 February 2022 17:23

And then TWO more???

Don't wake me up. icon_neutral

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798985 is a reply to message #798983 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

watchman wrote on Wed, 02 February 2022 17:30

watchman wrote on Wed, 02 February 2022 17:23

And then TWO more???

Don't wake me up. icon_neutral

Someone said shut out. Don’t know who.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798981 is a reply to message #798971 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

What a TIP Evander!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798982 is a reply to message #798971 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

So what’s the worst lead in hockey again? 3-0? 4-0? It’s been so long.

Times a good.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798987 is a reply to message #798982 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

I think the worst lead in hockey is any lead the oilers hold

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798988 is a reply to message #798987 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

...shakey end to the period. icon_rolleyes

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798991 is a reply to message #798971 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

3-2 now.

I think I feel the train tracks vibrating.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798992 is a reply to message #798971 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

WTH are you thinking Hyman?

If you’re not gonna shoot (which you should have) at least put some heat on that pass to 97. It’s like he was doing a father/son game pass.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798994 is a reply to message #798992 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

...maybe BOUCH can't turn to his right? confused2

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799032 is a reply to message #798994 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

watchman wrote on Wed, 02 February 2022 17:46

Have to say I'm plesantly surprised, an unexpected win!

Trying not to pick on Bouchard, but he served a hot pepperoni, extra-large pizza for the Caps first goal.. got the caps back in the game.. The guy is weak as a kitten on cycles, and puck retrievals.. loses one on one puck battles consistently.. gets turnstiled at least once or twice a game.. slow-twitch neurons.. He's over matched on the top D pairing.. defensive liability in general.. I was almost thinking Barrie should replace him to shore up the defensive game.. who's worse defensively?

Foegel proving why he was dropped to the 4th line, bad passes, bad decisions, no hands.

McDavid was absolutely flying.

Kane displaying his scoring touch, still out of shape.. 17 games to go (I figured it'll take 20 games to get in shape)

Kosko was OK.

Team in general still doesn't like to engage physically and finish checks.. which I find just freaking bizarre.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799039 is a reply to message #799032 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 00:49

He's over matched on the top D pairing..

Are we doing with Bouchard what we've done a million times before with guys like Poti, Petry, Schultz, etc...?

I see a stud there - but to go from AHL/Pressbox to top pairing over the span of basically a few games is a big ask for anyone, especially for Dmen. Might seem like a step back, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on 3rd pair with PP1 time. Either get a UFA to be like Giordano or Ristolainen (no idea how good he is anymore, just remember wanting him a long time ago) to fill in with Nurse on the top pair, or go nuts and do something like Barrie++ for Chychrun or someone like that.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799040 is a reply to message #799039 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 04:56

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 00:49

He's over matched on the top D pairing..

Are we doing with Bouchard what we've done a million times before with guys like Poti, Petry, Schultz, etc...?

I see a stud there - but to go from AHL/Pressbox to top pairing over the span of basically a few games is a big ask for anyone, especially for Dmen. Might seem like a step back, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on 3rd pair with PP1 time. Either get a UFA to be like Giordano or Ristolainen (no idea how good he is anymore, just remember wanting him a long time ago) to fill in with Nurse on the top pair, or go nuts and do something like Barrie++ for Chychrun or someone like that.

Agree Bouchard 3rd pair + PP1. Only trouble, his replacement is Ceci or Barrie on RD. Ceci and Keith are a good pair, Barrie is not much of an upgrade defensively.. get Chychrun for a 1st +, or Barrie ++, and you'd have something.. except he shoots left. :(
I think Bouchard's actually regressed defensively since he's been given top pairing with Nurse. Nurse is a horse, he can handle most of the volume of minutes he gets.. Bouchard can't. Plus he has a hard time physically, and positionally to handle pressure in hs own end, he's ok from the blue line out.. but thats not the primary duty of a defenceman. Can't expect to score 4 or 5 goals every game in order to get a win.

I don't know what Playfair has been doing but it doesn't seem to be helping Bouchard get any better at playing NHL level defenceman.

I'm critical of Bouchard because I expect more, you can see the ability, but the hockey IQ isn't there to match, thats what player development is supposed to do, he should be getting better.. Lowetide often says defencemen don't develop in straight lines.. hopefully its true with Bouchard and his development starts trending upwards.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799041 is a reply to message #799040 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 10:29

.. except he shoots left. :(

I think it's better to have a left and right shot, but it's really not a necessity. Florida has 4 of their top 5 guys as right shots. Leafs have Reilly and Brodie as their top pair (both left shots). I think it's fine to balance left/right, but it's not critical.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799057 is a reply to message #799040 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 06:29

Ceci and Keith are a good pair,

It's funny that we want to call out Bouchard's mistake on the first Caps goal, but seemingly overlook Keith just abandoning Sheary at the side of the net on the Caps 2nd goal. Keith/Ceci haven't been a total disaster, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to say they're a good 2nd pair. Especially not for their combined cap hit.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799062 is a reply to message #799057 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 10:31

It's funny that we want to call out Bouchard's mistake on the first Caps goal, but seemingly overlook Keith just abandoning Sheary at the side of the net on the Caps 2nd goal. Keith/Ceci haven't been a total disaster, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to say they're a good 2nd pair. Especially not for their combined cap hit.

I would venture a guess that if we looked at goals where a defenceman was the primary culprit in getting us scored on, Duncan Keith has been more to blame than Evan Bouchard this year.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799079 is a reply to message #799062 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 13:10 Go to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 10:55

Goose wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 10:31

I would venture a guess that if we looked at goals where a defenceman was the primary culprit in getting us scored on, Duncan Keith has been more to blame than Evan Bouchard this year.

Can't we just assume that when Keith totally fails on coverage that it is just him trying to teach the team how to win? Intentionally injecting adversity for us to overcome. What we got him to teach basically.

Now when bouch does it though, clear sign he doesn't know how to win

Side note. Spector signing praise for Ceci and Keith because they got points last night.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799042 is a reply to message #799032 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hitmen4  is currently offline hitmen4

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 02 February 2022 21:49

Trying not to pick on Bouchard, but he served a hot pepperoni, extra-large pizza for the Caps first goal.. got the caps back in the game.. The guy is weak as a kitten on cycles, and puck retrievals.. loses one on one puck battles consistently.. gets turnstiled at least once or twice a game.. slow-twitch neurons.. He's over matched on the top D pairing.. defensive liability in general.. I was almost thinking Barrie should replace him to shore up the defensive game.. who's worse defensively?

Foegel proving why he was dropped to the 4th line, bad passes, bad decisions, no hands.

Kane displaying his scoring touch, still out of shape.. 17 games to go (I figured it'll take 20 games to get in shape)

Kosko was OK.

Team in general still doesn't like to engage physically and finish checks.. which I find just freaking bizarre.

What a joke of a take. Bouchard has played all of 63 NHL games and you're carving him up because he's not a first pairing guy yet? Of course he's going to have some defensive mistakes, and probably lots of them. He's essentially a rookie defenseman even if the weird NHL rules for what qualifies a rookie says he's not.

Bottom line is that Bouchard is still one of our best defenseman. In terms of defenseman, he's #1 on the team in points, goals, assists. 2nd in +/-. If you don't like the traditional counting stats, here are his fancies:

CF%: 54.88
XGF%: 54.15
SCF%: 52.28
HDCF%: 51.02

He's on the right side of 50% on all counts, despite his defensive errors. He's already an elite offensive defenseman.

To be honest his defensive game actually isn't that bad when you consider he plays over 21 minutes a night despite only playing 63 NHL games. Rookie defenseman, even the elite ones, just aren't that good defensively most of the time. Luckily for those guys is most of them don't have to deal with portions of their fan base that think every defenseman that's 6'-3 needs to be the second coming of Chris Pronger before they've even played a full season.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799050 is a reply to message #799042 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

hitmen4 wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 07:03

What a joke of a take. Bouchard has played all of 63 NHL games and you're carving him up because he's not a first pairing guy yet? Of course he's going to have some defensive mistakes, and probably lots of them. He's essentially a rookie defenseman even if the weird NHL rules for what qualifies a rookie says he's not.

Bottom line is that Bouchard is still one of our best defenseman. In terms of defenseman, he's #1 on the team in points, goals, assists. 2nd in +/-. If you don't like the traditional counting stats, here are his fancies:

He's on the right side of 50% on all counts, despite his defensive errors. He's already an elite offensive defenseman.

To be honest his defensive game actually isn't that bad when you consider he plays over 21 minutes a night despite only playing 63 NHL games. Rookie defenseman, even the elite ones, just aren't that good defensively most of the time. Luckily for those guys is most of them don't have to deal with portions of their fan base that think every defenseman that's 6'-3 needs to be the second coming of Chris Pronger before they've even played a full season.

You made my point for me. We agree he's not an NHL 1st pair d-man.
NHL isn't a development league, if you plan on winning games.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799060 is a reply to message #799050 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hitmen4  is currently offline hitmen4

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 09:34

hitmen4 wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 07:03

You made my point for me. We agree he's not an NHL 1st pair d-man.
NHL isn't a development league, if you plan on winning games.

He's a 1st pair d-man on this team. We can argue, and agree on, that he probably shouldn't be on a contending team but the reality is he's the best option right now. Don't see the value in piling on the guy when he's playing great, all things considered. He drives play better than anyone on the back end and is exceeding expectations. Of all the things ailing the Oilers, I don't think Bouchard is very high on that list.

I'd say that Nurse's play is much a much more valid area for criticism. For a guy who is actually supposed to be a #1 d-man (and is about to be paid like one), can we really say he's lived up to expectations? Where is the outrage over his multiple defensive gaffs a game? Outrage is missing because he plays a physical game. This is what it really comes down to. I'm 100% convinced fans would have run Lidstrom out of town if he was an Oiler because he wasn't physical enough. Not saying Bouchard is or ever will be Lidstrom, but the point stands. D-men who aren't physical become whipping boys real quick. It's a shame that 63 games into his career a portion of the fanbase has the knives out already.

And player development does need to take place at the NHL level. Players arriving into the NHL are not finished products. How do you think cagey vets become cagey vets? By actually playing the roles they have the potential to and making/learning from their mistakes. It's a reality in the cap world that players on their ELC's need to play big roles on teams.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799053 is a reply to message #799042 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

hitmen4 wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 08:03

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 02 February 2022 21:49

Kosko was OK.

Viewer bias plays such a big role on people's impressions of players - especially young defencemen. Mistakes near the net are more memorable than mistakes in the attacking zone, because they lead to great chances against and goals.

People forget that a defenceman playing over 20 minutes a game has a lot of plays and touches of the puck, and that if the vast majority of those are good ones (which often as unspectacular and unmemorable) then they're a net positive, even if there's one or two glaring errors.

Coaching staffs should be working with young players and video to try to reduce mistakes, but no one is ever going to play a perfect game. I mean, one of the most memorable Mario Lemieux goals has him absolutely undressing a veteran Ray Bourque, so everyone can still get beat for a goal or make the wrong play.

There's no question it would have been better if we could have played Bouchard more in the role that Barrie's had this year - sheltered minutes and PP time - and had someone else do the heavy lifting. But the team really needed a third line winger...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798995 is a reply to message #798971 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GlitteringEminentAlaskanmalamute-size_restricted.gif

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #798996 is a reply to message #798995 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

OIL trying to set team record for the number of shot attempts against in the last 60 seconds of a period. lmao

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799000 is a reply to message #798971 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Did anyone else see the Rocky Wirtz town hall clip between periods?

I think that went really well. Good damage control Rocky.

EDIT: Oh yeah, is it Evanders shoulder or elbow?

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799001 is a reply to message #798971 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Fack I hope Kane is okay after that hit.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799003 is a reply to message #799001 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 02 February 2022 19:03

Thanks for the 2 tip in goals, Evander. Have a nice summer.

Please don’t sign in our division next season

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799004 is a reply to message #799003 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 02 February 2022 19:06

HES ON THE ICE TO START THE THIRD!

He’s resigning with Edmonton yo

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799006 is a reply to message #799004 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 02 February 2022 19:06

g2k wrote on Wed, 02 February 2022 19:06

He’s resigning with Edmonton yo

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799007 is a reply to message #799006 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

After the missed absolutely BLATANT trip on Hyman it was inevitable that the Caps were going to score there.

Edit: And there's the even-up non-call. Just call the rules man. It's not difficult.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 February 2022 19:16]

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799005 is a reply to message #799001 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

TNT broadcast said this backup tender Copley was the first star last time the Oilers played in Washington back in 2018. He hasn't appeared in an NHL game in 3 years.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799009 is a reply to message #798971 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Don’t be an idiotic fool Kass.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799012 is a reply to message #799009 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

...just don't let it be Justin Schultz... icon_rolleyes

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799011 is a reply to message #798971 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

If only games were 5 minutes long when you need them to be

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799013 is a reply to message #799011 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

nono

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799014 is a reply to message #799013 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

watchman wrote on Wed, 02 February 2022 19:35

nono

Good thing the PK is rolling on all cylinders...

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799015 is a reply to message #799014 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

1 Cup

nono

Good thing the PK is rolling on all cylinders...

...like I said. god

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca