Lofty goals from the GM [message #796362]
Wed, 22 December 2021 13:45 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Quote:

Sid
@NHL_Sid
Ken Holland on Oilers Now:

“We’re looking forward to getting, uh, our team back up after Christmas, and uh, entertaining our fans with uh, some wins to try to make a real drive and a push here to get into the, uh, Stanley Cup playoffs”

Good lord - how does Katz put up with these incompetents? His goal is to "make a real drive" to get in to the playoffs!?!? Does he realize he has the top two scorers in the entire league? Does he realize that McDavid is possibly the best player since Gretzky and Lemieux? If your goal is just a playoff position at this point in time, then it's time for you to be put out to pasture.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Lofty goals from the GM [message #796363 is a reply to message #796362 ]
Wed, 22 December 2021 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 22 December 2021 13:45

Quote:

Sid
@NHL_Sid

“We’re looking forward to getting, uh, our team back up after Christmas, and uh, entertaining our fans with uh, some wins to try to make a real drive and a push here to get into the, uh, Stanley Cup playoffs”

Good lord - how does Katz put up with these incompetents? His goal is to "make a real drive" to get in to the playoffs!?!? Does he realize he has the top two scorers in the entire league? Does he realize that McDavid is possibly the best player since Gretzky and Lemieux? If your goal is just a playoff position at this point in time, then it's time for you to be put out to pasture.

Keep your powder dry Adam, you never know when it's going to rain. Frankly, we might need this year's first round pick in a couple of years.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Lofty goals from the GM [message #796364 is a reply to message #796362 ]
Wed, 22 December 2021 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

I just like how the reported wishlist is an LD, 3C, and goalie, which are exactly all of the swings and misses he took just a few months ago.

Media is pretty nice here.

Clean house or bust

Re: Lofty goals from the GM [message #796365 is a reply to message #796364 ]
Wed, 22 December 2021 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

to be fair, he had to trade the D to get the F, trade another D to get the D and Mike Smith has obscene pictures of him, so he had to get a 2 year deal.

Re: Lofty goals from the GM [message #796366 is a reply to message #796365 ]
Wed, 22 December 2021 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Wed, 22 December 2021 15:14

to be fair, he had to trade the D to get the F, trade another D to get the D and Mike Smith has obscene pictures of him, so he had to get a 2 year deal.

Remember when we signed Cap Space and then traded him for a player on an obvious decline like 4 minutes later? I liked Cap Space. That dude had Isbister levels of potential.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Lofty goals from the GM [message #796370 is a reply to message #796366 ]
Thu, 23 December 2021 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 22 December 2021 16:30

Remember when we signed Cap Space and then traded him for a player on an obvious decline like 4 minutes later? I liked Cap Space. That dude had Isbister levels of potential.

I liked Brad Isbister.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: Lofty goals from the GM [message #796373 is a reply to message #796370 ]
Thu, 23 December 2021 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

OilPeg wrote on Thu, 23 December 2021 07:55

I liked Brad Isbister.

The Brad Isbister haters will always be out there. They’ll say he underperformed, he wasn’t a “team guy” or that he was a cancer in the room. Some might even call him a loser. But Isbister was a good Oiler. His best goal scoring season as an Oiler hit double digits, equalling the best season total of HALL OF FAME player Kevin Lowe.

Also, fun fact: he was drafted by the Winnipeg Jets but only ever played for the Phoenix Coyotes

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Lofty goals from the GM [message #796374 is a reply to message #796373 ]
Thu, 23 December 2021 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 23 December 2021 10:21

I liked Brad Isbister.

The Brad Isbister haters will always be out there. They’ll say he underperformed, he wasn’t a “team guy” or that he was a cancer in the room. Some might even call him a loser. But Isbister was a good Oiler. His best goal scoring season as an Oiler hit double digits, equalling the best season total of HALL OF FAME player Kevin Lowe.

Also, fun fact: he was drafted by the Winnipeg Jets but only ever played for the Phoenix Coyotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTkfM_cirJI

Great Isbister moment

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: Lofty goals from the GM [message #796391 is a reply to message #796374 ]
Thu, 23 December 2021 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Thu, 23 December 2021 08:43

I liked Brad Isbister.

Great Isbister moment

Awesome! He was a heavy hitter, who could skate, and pop in some cheddar, perfect 3rd liner.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Lofty goals from the GM [message #796392 is a reply to message #796391 ]
Thu, 23 December 2021 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 23 December 2021 15:03

I liked Brad Isbister.

Great Isbister moment

Awesome! He was a heavy hitter, who could skate, and pop in some cheddar, perfect 3rd liner.

I liked Isbister. I was really excited when the Oilers traded for him... and he seemed so closed to breaking out for his whole career.

Re: Lofty goals from the GM [message #796394 is a reply to message #796392 ]
Thu, 23 December 2021 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 23 December 2021 15:09

I liked Brad Isbister.

Great Isbister moment

I liked Isbister. I was really excited when the Oilers traded for him... and he seemed so closed to breaking out for his whole career.

He was big. Could skate. Great shot. Was was there not to like?!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Lofty goals from the GM [message #796395 is a reply to message #796394 ]
Thu, 23 December 2021 15:49 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 23 December 2021 15:12

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 23 December 2021 15:09

I liked Brad Isbister.

Great Isbister moment

He was big. Could skate. Great shot. Was was there not to like?!

The scoring decline, he didn't hit, and always injured.

Re: Lofty goals from the GM [message #796371 is a reply to message #796366 ]
Thu, 23 December 2021 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 22 December 2021 18:30

I miss Cap Space. Didn't produce anything, but 0 miscues and defensive lapses. Good memories.

Re: Lofty goals from the GM [message #796372 is a reply to message #796364 ]
Thu, 23 December 2021 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 22 December 2021 18:08

I just like how the reported wishlist is an LD, 3C, and goalie, which are exactly all of the swings and misses he took just a few months ago.

Media is pretty nice here.

The worst to me is G. I think he sorta failed on LD and 3C, but apologists could argue the merits of Keith and Ryan and the other additions at F.

But to yet again go into the season with a 39 year old Smith and a wildly inconsistent, usually not very good guy in Koskinen should have been grounds for immediate dismissal. I don't think there had ever been as many goalies available.

Guys that were traded:

Kuemper (too expensive, but he was an option)
Vanecek went back to the Caps for a 2nd
Vladar went for a 3rd
Fleury for a nothing prospect
Nedeljkovic for a 3rd and UFA Bernier

UFAs

Grubauer
Ullmark
Mrazek
Driedger
Anderssen

Any one of these would have been a decent gamble IMO.

Re: Lofty goals from the GM [message #796367 is a reply to message #796362 ]
Wed, 22 December 2021 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 22 December 2021 13:45

Quote:

Sid
@NHL_Sid

Need a sucking spit through your teeth emoji to add in with those "uh"'s.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #34)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Seattle (Game #29)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca