This day on April 28
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilerfan in Tulsa, rrathel716

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795917]
Tue, 14 December 2021 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   0%
Toronto to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2021-22 Regular Season
Tuesday, December 14, 2021Toronto 5 @ Edmonton 1Loss
Wednesday, January 5, 2022Edmonton 2 @ Toronto 4Loss
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 0-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 1/2 Total: 3
Home / Road Goals Against: 5/4 Total: 9

2020-21 Regular Season
Wednesday, January 20, 2021Edmonton 3 @ Toronto 1Win
Friday, January 22, 2021Edmonton 2 @ Toronto 4Loss
Thursday, January 28, 2021Toronto 4 @ Edmonton 3Loss
Saturday, January 30, 2021Toronto 3 @ Edmonton 4 (OT)Win
Saturday, February 27, 2021Toronto 4 @ Edmonton 0Loss
Monday, March 1, 2021Toronto 3 @ Edmonton 0Loss
Wednesday, March 3, 2021Toronto 6 @ Edmonton 1Loss
Saturday, March 27, 2021Edmonton 3 @ Toronto 4 (OT)Loss
Monday, March 29, 2021Edmonton 3 @ Toronto 2 (OT)Win
Home Record: 1-4-0       Road Record: 2-1-1       Overall Record: 3-5-1
Home / Road Goals For: 8/11 Total: 19
Home / Road Goals Against: 20/11 Total: 31

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795918 is a reply to message #795917 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Might we see Duncan back?
Under what circumstances do we riot?
Surely the team plays with urgency.
Tonight is awfully important.

Will McDavid get off the schnide?
I think he will.
No doubt, he loves playing the leafs.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795919 is a reply to message #795918 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I thought the Oilers played alright against the Canes. For the Leafs, I think they need to play like they did against the Canes but they need the goalie not to give up a crap goal, they badly need to hit the freaking net and above all, BURY YOUR CHANCES. Hyman missed a wide open goal from in close, I don't know how he missed. Nuge had 2/3 of an open net, goalies back turned, easy tap in and he puts it off the post. I am sure the ice scrapers are cleaning up stick shavings because the guys are squeezing the stick so hard.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795922 is a reply to message #795919 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

hitting the net instead of the corner boards is something we should definitely start doing. we are peppering that ad space.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795923 is a reply to message #795922 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 10:24

hitting the net instead of the corner boards is something we should definitely start doing. we are peppering that ad space.

The amount of grade A chances the Oilers fire over the net or wide is maddening. I know they are trying to pick corners but they need to get it on net and at worse force goalies to make a save. Maybe he doesn't handle it cleanly, he spits out a rebound. If you never hit the net, there is no chance to score.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795925 is a reply to message #795923 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 13:35

The amount of grade A chances the Oilers fire over the net or wide is maddening. I know they are trying to pick corners but they need to get it on net and at worse force goalies to make a save. Maybe he doesn't handle it cleanly, he spits out a rebound. If you never hit the net, there is no chance to score.

I think your point is we need to score more greasy goals. If so, 100% agree. Like any hockey fan I'm sure, I love to see McDavid go through 5 guys and roof it, or a wonderful tic tac toe for a tap in, but you're not always going to be able to get those. Especially when a goalie is on his game - you need to make things difficult for him. You need to be able to fight for rebounds and score those ugly goals.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795926 is a reply to message #795925 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 10:54

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 13:35

I think your point is we need to score more greasy goals. If so, 100% agree. Like any hockey fan I'm sure, I love to see McDavid go through 5 guys and roof it, or a wonderful tic tac toe for a tap in, but you're not always going to be able to get those. Especially when a goalie is on his game - you need to make things difficult for him. You need to be able to fight for rebounds and score those ugly goals.

Greasy goals, any kind of goals. Don't get me wrong seeing McD, Leon, whoever split the D or threading a puck through 3 defenders is amazing to see but like you said, they are low percentage chances. There was a play where McD was in the middle of the slot wide open with Hyman driving the net and instead of shooting, he tried to feed Hyman for a tap in but the pass got deflected and went harmlessly to the corner. Even one of the highlights that got shown for an Anderson save off Kassian. McD is driving the net in a prime shooting spot, he tries to put that puck through the dman, hits the dman's shine pad, he gets a perfect bounce right back to him and the second time he got the puck over to Kassian and Anderson makes an amazing stop. Anderson was totally playing that pass and was able to get across. That pucks deflects off a shine pad any other way, there isn't even a shot on goal. If McD shoots, he might catch Anderson cheating or with Kassian driving the net, there would be a rebound.

I am NOT blaming all the scoring woes on McD or Leon, I am just using them as an example because it's an easy one to describe. I see team after team throwing a ton of rubber on the Oilers from almost anywhere and things happen. The entire team is clearly not feeling it at the moment so maybe just playing simple hockey where you direct pucks on goals and look for rounds and bounces if the way to go. It's not a pretty but lots of times it works. I'd love to see every forward have several shots a piece tonight.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795941 is a reply to message #795918 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Oilers are going to get crushed. They've been falling apart the last five games. This is the game where the wheels finally fall off.

7 - 1 Leafs

It sucks to think about, however the Oilers are due for a significant beatdown. They've been hanging around in games when they really don't belong in them. Hopefully this game will be the one that inspires the team to acknowledge their deficiencies and make moves to address them.

The Leafs will give them what they've been due for a while now.

Prove me wrong Oilers.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 December 2021 16:05]

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795942 is a reply to message #795941 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 15:59

Oilers are going to get crushed. They've been falling apart the last five games. This is the game where the wheels finally fall off.

7 - 1 Leafs

I'm trying to look at this as a no-lose game. Either the Oilers beat the Maple Leafs, which is always nice, or a sixth straight loss starts to put real pressure on the Oilers to do something about the coach - which would give us a better chance of making it past the first round of the playoffs...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795943 is a reply to message #795942 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 16:02

7 - 1 Leafs

I'm trying to look at this as a no-lose game. Either the Oilers beat the Maple Leafs, which is always nice, or a sixth straight loss starts to put real pressure on the Oilers to do something about the coach - which would give us a better chance of making it past the first round of the playoffs...

I don't think a new coach solves the problem. A new coach would still be saddled with the same management and the same expectations. No matter who the new coach is he would be hired by the same management that hired Tippett and Hitchcock and TM. That part shouldn't be forgotten.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795944 is a reply to message #795943 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 16:20

7 - 1 Leafs

I don't think a new coach solves the problem. A new coach would still be saddled with the same management and the same expectations. No matter who the new coach is he would be hired by the same management that hired Tippett and Hitchcock and TM. That part shouldn't be forgotten.

I think there's a good chance that Holland, Nicholson & Lowe would look for a coach the same way they looked for the last couple - see what old coach who they've known for 25 years is still available and throw a contract at them. There's plenty of chance that they get it wrong. They have a long history of getting it wrong.

That said, we know there's some serious weakness in how this coach is managing his team, his system and his bench. If he goes, at least there's a possibility that there's someone who does better.

It also takes an arrow out of the quiver for this management group. If they flop and either miss the playoffs or crash out in the first round again, then they're going to fire Tippett and Holland will go hire someone new, they'll hang the season on that darned coach not being any good and then we'll start back again next year.

If they make a change now and the team still falls flat, it reflects more on the management group. This is one of the reasons I doubt they DO make a change. The only X-factor there is Mike Babcock - the braintrust has a long history with him and they may feel he should really get his redemption shot. Doing it mid-season might make it slightly less of a story...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795946 is a reply to message #795942 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

7 - 1 Leafs

Yeah, not sure it's changing the coach that will get the team into the 2-3 round of the playoffs. We don't know yet if the roster will do it. The coach has to have the right plan, the players have to buy in to the plan and play it nearly religiously. We've seen rosters with less talent do well and even win Cups, we certainly see teams with less talent play systemic hockey with individuals knowing roles and defeating the Oilers.

Then there's the risk of the coaching change backfiring. The Canucks in the short term are responding to Filthy Bruce, would the Oilers have done the same? Hard to tell. There's more moving parts to the Oilers than a coaching change might solve, but as the adage goes, it's easier to change the coach than 3-5 players. If you keep losing and the coach doesn't have any solutions that work, I guess the players give up on him.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795949 is a reply to message #795946 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 16:01

Yeah, not sure it's changing the coach that will get the team into the 2-3 round of the playoffs. We don't know yet if the roster will do it. The coach has to have the right plan, the players have to buy in to the plan and play it nearly religiously. We've seen rosters with less talent do well and even win Cups, we certainly see teams with less talent play systemic hockey with individuals knowing roles and defeating the Oilers.

Then there's the risk of the coaching change backfiring. The Canucks in the short term are responding to Filthy Bruce, would the Oilers have done the same? Hard to tell. There's more moving parts to the Oilers than a coaching change might solve, but as the adage goes, it's easier to change the coach than 3-5 players. If you keep losing and the coach doesn't have any solutions that work, I guess the players give up on him.

Agree, we've had two coaches fired in Eakins and McLennan that are currently doing well with other franchises, with different teams. This roster still has big big holes even when 100% healthy.

Tonight will be unpleasant.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795950 is a reply to message #795949 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 17:20

Agree, we've had two coaches fired in Eakins and McLennan that are currently doing well with other franchises, with different teams. This roster still has big big holes even when 100% healthy.

I'd like to see what 100% buy in to a good system looks like with the Oilers. Without consistent 100% buy in, it's hard to know if the system is good. More now than ever, I think an NHL head coach has to be a like a very technically oriented sales rep with the awesome ability to communicate features and benefits. It helps if you can point to success stories, but sometimes the players have to have some faith and create a success story.

Tonight is on the players, in my mind. If they're tired of losing they'll find a win.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795951 is a reply to message #795949 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 16:20

Can’t it be both? I don’t think this is the right coach or the a well built roster. I’d like to see both change.

Media is pretty nice here. On the 31 thoughts podcast this week they said that Holland wants to find a goalie, a 3rd line center, and a left defense. That list is as big as it was in the beginning of summer. He re-signed Smith, signed Ryan, and paid handsomely to get Keith. That’s a lot of swings and misses. I wish somebody would point that out. But it’s pretty likely that we are stuck with a lot of these pieces for the year.

McDavid and Draisaitl are going to have to win a cup despite management and the roster. I’m not confident in the bottom of the roster. But we need a coach who will sit the Shores/Russells while getting SOME value out of those who certainly have more to give (Foegele, Ryan, Kassian…). A coaching change is the easiest move to make and I think given Tippett’s 2+ years of constant underachieving depth, it’s a necessary one.

Clean house or bust

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795927 is a reply to message #795917 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

It’d be nice to mix in some of that 90’s Oilers grunt play with the high skill. Smyth rarely scored from 2 feet out of the blue and I cheered just as hard for his goals.

This team could use some more blue collar hustle. It’s not like Luke Richardson or Chris Pronger are cashing cheques in front of the net anymore. The space is there to take.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795928 is a reply to message #795927 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 11:20

It’d be nice to mix in some of that 90’s Oilers grunt play with the high skill. Smyth rarely scored from 2 feet out of the blue and I cheered just as hard for his goals.

This team could use some more blue collar hustle. It’s not like Luke Richardson or Chris Pronger are cashing cheques in front of the net anymore. The space is there to take.

I totally agree. This team seems to be really against any sort of sustained pressure or downlow play. It's a ton of 1 and done and if they don't score, look out because it's going the other way in a hurry.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795930 is a reply to message #795917 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

ignore the last one

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795931 is a reply to message #795930 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Ryan McLeod placed in Covid Protocol, per Oilers twitter

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795936 is a reply to message #795931 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 12:54

Oh boy.

Flames are the spreaders here. They have 9 players and 1 trainer. Boston played Edmonton on Dec 9 while the Flames played the Canes Dec 9th. Boston played Flames Dec 11th while the Oilers played the Canes Dec 11. Flames passed it on to the Canes as Aho missed the Canucks game on Sunday with Covid. Flames also passed it to Boston as Marchand and someone else just went on Covid list today. Canes gave it to the Oilers. I hope and pray it's just McLeod.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795937 is a reply to message #795936 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 13:13

Oh boy.

Flames are the spreaders here. They have 9 players and 1 trainer. Boston played Edmonton on Dec 9 while the Flames played the Canes Dec 9th. Boston played Flames Dec 11th while the Oilers played the Canes Dec 11. Flames passed it on to the Canes as Aho missed the Canucks game on Sunday with Covid. Flames also passed it to Boston as Marchand and someone else just went on Covid list today. Canes gave it to the Oilers. I hope and pray it's just McLeod.

McLeod shouldn't be getting so close to the other team's players. He's got nobody to blame but himself here.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795938 is a reply to message #795937 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 13:16

Oh boy.

McLeod shouldn't be getting so close to the other team's players. He's got nobody to blame but himself here.

You are right. Pretty puzzling how McLeod got it given he doesn't really like to get get near anyone on the ice. Just stay to the perimeter as much as possible.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795939 is a reply to message #795938 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 13:22

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 13:16

Oh boy.

You are right. Pretty puzzling how McLeod got it given he doesn't really like to get get near anyone on the ice. Just stay to the perimeter as much as possible.

Probably went to dinner with Archibald or something.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795947 is a reply to message #795937 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 12:16

I don't know, he looked like he was avoiding as many as possible, hmm.. maybe that's the reason no one seems to want to finish a check on the Oilers, all too scared of getting Covid on them?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795948 is a reply to message #795947 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Jason Gregor
@JasonGregor
·
14m
Oilers make it official...Tippett won't coach tonight for precautionary reasons.
Also Broberg sent down and Perlini recalled.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795932 is a reply to message #795930 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 12:25

ignore the last one

Never tell me the odds!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795935 is a reply to message #795917 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

McLeod on covid list AAAAND retesting as a member of the coaching staff positive as well...

May have to make other plans tonight.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795940 is a reply to message #795935 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 13:12

McLeod on covid list AAAAND retesting as a member of the coaching staff positive as well...

May have to make other plans tonight.

3rd and 4th line likely all have it as they don’t leave the bench.

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795952 is a reply to message #795917 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

ITS HAPPENING! I LOOOOVE THE POTENTIAL OF THIS TOP LINE!!

Foegele-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Sceviour-Ryan-Kassian
Benson-Shore-Turris

Nurse-Bouchard
Keith-Ceci
Niemelainen-Barrie

Koskinen
Skinner

That top line is legit nocturnal emission inducing

[Updated on: Tue, 14 December 2021 18:42]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #795954 is a reply to message #795952 ]
Tue, 14 December 2021 19:39 Go to previous message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 14 December 2021 18:38

ITS HAPPENING! I LOOOOVE THE POTENTIAL OF THIS TOP LINE!!

Foegele-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Sceviour-Ryan-Kassian
Benson-Shore-Turris

Nurse-Bouchard
Keith-Ceci
Niemelainen-Barrie

Koskinen
Skinner

That top line is legit nocturnal emission inducing

Yeah I'd say Foegele has more business up ther than Kassian.

Previous Topic:GDT: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27)
Next Topic:Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #26)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca