This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795717]
Thu, 09 December 2021 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Boston to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795720 is a reply to message #795717 ]
Thu, 09 December 2021 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Tippet really doesn’t have the “time out” thing figured out, does he?

I agree with Debrusk. Why let the Bruins get a breather? You play the PP for the entire 2 minutes. Why huddle the same unit now when the other team is gassed after an icing? Foot on the pedal Dave!

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795721 is a reply to message #795720 ]
Thu, 09 December 2021 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 09 December 2021 21:43

I agree with Debrusk. Why let the Bruins get a breather? You play the PP for the entire 2 minutes. Why huddle the same unit now when the other team is gassed after an icing? Foot on the pedal Dave!

100%

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795724 is a reply to message #795720 ]
Thu, 09 December 2021 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I wonder how many games we have to lose before the team would consider making a change...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795725 is a reply to message #795724 ]
Thu, 09 December 2021 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 December 2021 21:59

I wonder how many games we have to lose before the team would consider making a change...

I'm not seeing much value add via the Tip these days. Any dummy can try to let McDrai win every game for them and get nothing out of the rest of the lineup. Maybe special teams are great, but it's not like he had a history of amazing special teams in his coaching career. Keep the assistants for a while if that's what we think is so great about how this team is coached.

yes, I'm trying to fire another Oilers coach.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795726 is a reply to message #795725 ]
Thu, 09 December 2021 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 December 2021 22:02

I'm not seeing much value add via the Tip these days. Any dummy can try to let McDrai win every game for them and get nothing out of the rest of the lineup. Maybe special teams are great, but it's not like he had a history of amazing special teams in his coaching career. Keep the assistants for a while if that's what we think is so great about how this team is coached.

I don't think he has any ideas. Fall behind by a couple goals? Reunite 97 and 29 and play them 25 minutes. Rinse, repeat. 5v5 this team has been terrible for his entire tenure here, and the bottom six, despite the on-paper upgrades, are on pace to be the worst ever. So yeah, I think it's time for a change.

(For the record, I don't think the Oilers will make a change, and even if they do they'll do something stupid and bring back some other 60+ coach who's been the coach for 4 or 5 other teams again.)

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795736 is a reply to message #795726 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 December 2021 22:14

I don't think he has any ideas. Fall behind by a couple goals? Reunite 97 and 29 and play them 25 minutes. Rinse, repeat. 5v5 this team has been terrible for his entire tenure here, and the bottom six, despite the on-paper upgrades, are on pace to be the worst ever. So yeah, I think it's time for a change.

(For the record, I don't think the Oilers will make a change, and even if they do they'll do something stupid and bring back some other 60+ coach who's been the coach for 4 or 5 other teams again.)

Depends on where Holland thinks he's at in the window to win, and whether he thinks he's given Tippet enough assets to win. I think they're in the win now mode, and I think that gives Tip a shorter rope certainly than he had a couple years ago. Depends on this skid as well.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795737 is a reply to message #795736 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 00:51

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 December 2021 22:14

Depends on where Holland thinks he's at in the window to win, and whether he thinks he's given Tippet enough assets to win. I think they're in the win now mode, and I think that gives Tip a shorter rope certainly than he had a couple years ago. Depends on this skid as well.

Specific to tonight's game, I saw the Oilers ease up big time with about 5 minutes left. They just completely stopped hockeying and began floating, coasting, daydreaming, etc. Was there a lineup change or a shift realignment or something? Did Tippett manage to change the chemistry of the first ten minutes of the period where the team really took control? Was there a conceptual switch from WIN BY SCORING to WIN BY DEFENDING? I can't figure out why they stalled completely - was it a "strategic" coaching move or a fail on the part of the players? I am baffled by this.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795738 is a reply to message #795737 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 00:04

.. They just completely stopped hockeying and began floating, coasting, daydreaming, etc. Was there a lineup change or a shift realignment or something? Did Tippett manage to change the chemistry of the first ten minutes of the period where the team really took control? Was there a conceptual switch from WIN BY SCORING to WIN BY DEFENDING? I can't figure out why they stalled completely - was it a "strategic" coaching move or a fail on the part of the players? I am baffled by this.

I think (outside of the team drivers, i.e. 97, 29, 18 .. ) they routinely get into a mental comfort zone far too easily, it seems to be a default state for too many, that they need to consciously break out of .. which is not a winning formula for a competitive sport. Suspect that is why those players have such a hard time to get rolling at the start of a game, play dopey vs. lower ranked teams, or lull themselves to sleep for periods during games.. its like a phycological defect. They get down 2 or 3 goals and then the switch gets turned on.. trying to salvage some self respect. usually too late.

See it too many times near the end of games after the Oil have made a big comeback and tied the game.. its almost like some guys are thinking they'll just run out the clock and let 97 & 29 win it in OT, they get dopey and its a loss.

It not all the players.. but too many to get consistent wins.

.. working theory.. :)

[Updated on: Fri, 10 December 2021 01:46]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795756 is a reply to message #795738 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 01:44

I think (outside of the team drivers, i.e. 97, 29, 18 .. ) they routinely get into a mental comfort zone far too easily, it seems to be a default state for too many, that they need to consciously break out of .. which is not a winning formula for a competitive sport.

Saw a few things on twitter worth sharing on the bottom 6:

Quote:

Jason
@AdamsOnHockey
·
18h
Leon Draisaitl: 23 goals
Entire Oilers bottom six: 12 goals

Swell job with that depth, Kenny Holland.
Quote:

Jason
@AdamsOnHockey
· 19h
Bottom sixers playing in the bottom six most recent goals:

Benson: N/A
Perlini: N/A
Sceviour: N/A
Kassian: October 22nd
McLeod: November 23rd
Ryan: October 16th
Foegele: October 30th
Shore: November 3rd (injuries)
Turris: November 1st

Also this on the coach's take on last night:

Quote:

zach laing
@zjlaing

tippett on the bruins third goal: "they should've capitalized on a chance, our backcheck wasn't... — kass missed a guy on the backcheck and the guy had a wide open net on the far side...

Quote:

zach laing
@zjlaing
tippett cont'd: " you think you get settled down, got it stopped, and then bouch gets beat out of the corner, just a one-on-one... and he loses his man, the next guy's gotta take a run at him, next guy leaves one guy open and that's what happens."

Things I really dislike - coaches singling out players, especially young players and ones struggling with their confidence - in the media scrum after the game and blaming them for goals against.

It is one play in an entire game, so it doesn't tell a full story, but it sure does point the finger at guys publicly. There is no cause for this. You can show them the video the next day, explain in detail what you would have liked them to do. Throwing them to the media wolves is not a good tactic for coaches. To his credit, Tippett seemed reluctant to do this at the outset in Edmonton, but it's starting to happen more and more.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795758 is a reply to message #795756 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 17:19

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 01:44

I think (outside of the team drivers, i.e. 97, 29, 18 .. ) they routinely get into a mental comfort zone far too easily, it seems to be a default state for too many, that they need to consciously break out of .. which is not a winning formula for a competitive sport.

Saw a few things on twitter worth sharing on the bottom 6:

Quote:

Jason
@AdamsOnHockey
·
18h
Leon Draisaitl: 23 goals
Entire Oilers bottom six: 12 goals

Swell job with that depth, Kenny Holland.
Quote:

Jason
@AdamsOnHockey
· 19h
Bottom sixers playing in the bottom six most recent goals:

Benson: N/A
Perlini: N/A
Sceviour: N/A
Kassian: October 22nd
McLeod: November 23rd
Ryan: October 16th
Foegele: October 30th
Shore: November 3rd (injuries)
Turris: November 1st

Also this on the coach's take on last night:

Quote:

zach laing
@zjlaing

tippett on the bruins third goal: "they should've capitalized on a chance, our backcheck wasn't... — kass missed a guy on the backcheck and the guy had a wide open net on the far side...

Quote:

zach laing
@zjlaing
tippett cont'd: " you think you get settled down, got it stopped, and then bouch gets beat out of the corner, just a one-on-one... and he loses his man, the next guy's gotta take a run at him, next guy leaves one guy open and that's what happens."

Things I really dislike - coaches singling out players, especially young players and ones struggling with their confidence - in the media scrum after the game and blaming them for goals against.

It is one play in an entire game, so it doesn't tell a full story, but it sure does point the finger at guys publicly. There is no cause for this. You can show them the video the next day, explain in detail what you would have liked them to do. Throwing them to the media wolves is not a good tactic for coaches. To his credit, Tippett seemed reluctant to do this at the outset in Edmonton, but it's starting to happen more and more.

Heard from the recent Bear interview that he felt singled out by the org for that one giveaway despite having a pretty good series. Seems to be a common Tip 😉

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795760 is a reply to message #795758 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 18:07

Heard from the recent Bear interview that he felt singled out by the org for that one giveaway despite having a pretty good series. Seems to be a common Tip 😉

That's what happens when everyone in the organization has no clue about analytics. They focus on the one bad event rather than the 25 good ones, because they don't even remember the good ones because nothing happened.

Honestly, I'm a bit worried about Bouchard here in Edmonton. You can already see some fans turning on him, even though he's still quite young and playing top pairing minutes. The guy can play 25 minutes, and all they'll remember is the one miscue, and that he didn't crush someone with a bodycheck.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795764 is a reply to message #795760 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 19:15

That's what happens when everyone in the organization has no clue about analytics. They focus on the one bad event rather than the 25 good ones, because they don't even remember the good ones because nothing happened.

Honestly, I'm a bit worried about Bouchard here in Edmonton. You can already see some fans turning on him, even though he's still quite young and playing top pairing minutes. The guy can play 25 minutes, and all they'll remember is the one miscue, and that he didn't crush someone with a bodycheck.

It wasn’t just the org though. The same impatient, lunch pail fan club ran by Bob Stauffer was all over him also. Then there was the whole racism thing... which it seems as though the org could have done a ton more to support him during. Sure, whoever runs the social media account made some post about it but what did the org itself do? Commit to a First Nation’s kids hockey camp then traded their rising First Nation star not long after. Great messaging from the org there. I thought for sure it was just smoke, the bear trade rumblings, bc having Bear as an Oiler promotes so much good for the City, the community and an entire Nation of peoples. But no. He was traded for a 3rd line winger. (I’m a foegele fan, but cmon)

To your other point, I think as long as Barfie is still here, he’ll protect Bouchard from the lunch pail fan club’s wrath. And yea. I said Barfie. I know y’all know who I mean 😁

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795765 is a reply to message #795764 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 18:33

It wasn’t just the org though. The same impatient, lunch pail fan club ran by Bob Stauffer was all over him also. Then there was the whole racism thing... which it seems as though the org could have done a ton more to support him during. Sure, whoever runs the social media account made some post about it but what did the org itself do? Commit to a First Nation’s kids hockey camp then traded their rising First Nation star not long after. Great messaging from the org there. I thought for sure it was just smoke, the bear trade rumblings, bc having Bear as an Oiler promotes so much good for the City, the community and an entire Nation of peoples. But no. He was traded for a 3rd line winger. (I’m a foegele fan, but cmon)

To your other point, I think as long as Barfie is still here, he’ll protect Bouchard from the lunch pail fan club’s wrath. And yea. I said Barfie. I know y’all know who I mean 😁

Also never forget the exchange where they ask Ken Holland if he has any comments on the racist abuse Bear is facing online and he only says he doesn’t know about it. No condemnation of racism, just a shoulder shrug that he was unaware.

If he actually hadn’t heard, he really should have been briefed by his PR team before heading out. That’s gross negligence if they didn’t let him know about a major developing story he was likely to be asked about. Even so, who doesn’t understand that the correct answer is that racism is unacceptable - even without the full context?

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795771 is a reply to message #795765 ]
Sat, 11 December 2021 09:41 Go to previous message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 21:26

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 18:33

Also never forget the exchange where they ask Ken Holland if he has any comments on the racist abuse Bear is facing online and he only says he doesn’t know about it. No condemnation of racism, just a shoulder shrug that he was unaware.

If he actually hadn’t heard, he really should have been briefed by his PR team before heading out. That’s gross negligence if they didn’t let him know about a major developing story he was likely to be asked about. Even so, who doesn’t understand that the correct answer is that racism is unacceptable - even without the full context?

It truly is inexcusable. Hadn’t heard. Haha. The flipping thing dominated headlines in the hockey world and mainline media. It was everywhere! Such an ignorant organization.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795728 is a reply to message #795725 ]
Thu, 09 December 2021 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I think it’s tough for the bottom 6 to get any rhythm when your best 2 forwards get more ice time many D pairings in the league.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795730 is a reply to message #795728 ]
Thu, 09 December 2021 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 09 December 2021 23:17

I think it’s tough for the bottom 6 to get any rhythm when your best 2 forwards get more ice time many D pairings in the league.

I’ve thought this for awhile, even when you factor in that a pretty good chunk of that time is inflated from the being out there for every full 2 minute , unless they score on it obviously.

Which, yeah you want 29 and 97 on the ice as much as possible but there’s gotta be a balance. It’s why I think this team is better suited to have them Centre there own lines and Nuge at 3C.

Foegele-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Hyman-Draisaitl-Yam
Benson-Nuge-Kassian
Shore-McLeod-Sceviour

That’s what I wanna see with this group.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795727 is a reply to message #795724 ]
Thu, 09 December 2021 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

I figure 8

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795729 is a reply to message #795727 ]
Thu, 09 December 2021 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Thu, 09 December 2021 22:15

I figure 8

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795744 is a reply to message #795729 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 09 December 2021 22:18

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Thu, 09 December 2021 22:15

I figure 8

Past practice shows it's 12, win one, lose 11 more. THEN we get into training wheels time.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795731 is a reply to message #795717 ]
Thu, 09 December 2021 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Not the coach. Mcllenan goes to LA and presto has a winning team, without a McD or LD.
Oilers have a very poor supporting cast, still.

Team can't score 5v5 without McD and LD. No shooters.

4 losses in a row.. soon to be 7. Losses to Canes, Leafs, and CBJ on the menu.

Russell out, looks like we are bringing back in either Laggy or Bro.

I'm thinking that eventually Samorucov will come up for a look, and Broberg will be back in Bako getting some games. Nemo staying up.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795732 is a reply to message #795717 ]
Thu, 09 December 2021 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Nemo with a team high 6 hits.. how does a rookie call up lead NHL vets in hits? Why can't that behavior be duplicated up in the rest of the Oiler line up? Is there something in the water down in Bako.. or is it a coach named D. Manson? Just curious.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795733 is a reply to message #795732 ]
Thu, 09 December 2021 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 09 December 2021 22:48

Nemo with a team high 6 hits.. how does a rookie call up lead NHL vets in hits? Why can't that behavior be duplicated up in the rest of the Oiler line up? Is there something in the water down in Bako.. or is it a coach named D. Manson? Just curious.

Nhl should allow you to swap nhl and ahl coach staffs for a trial period.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795734 is a reply to message #795733 ]
Thu, 09 December 2021 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 December 2021 21:49

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 09 December 2021 22:48

Nhl should allow you to swap nhl and ahl coach staffs for a trial period.

I'm sold on Manson. Woodcroft gets all the accolades for prospect development when they come up up and do well, however all our best prospects are D-men, zero forwards.. so I'm less convinced with Woodcroft than others, I don't think he would change much as Oiler HC. If they did decide to dump Tip as HC, I hope they cast a wider net.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795735 is a reply to message #795732 ]
Thu, 09 December 2021 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Because Nurse is as soft as warm butter. He's too good to have to get his mitts dirty anymore, or so he thinks.

Markus has been here for a handful of games and is already one of our most noticeable overall players. Our depth forwards and D are a disgrace.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795739 is a reply to message #795735 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

My takes on the game: I thought we owned the bruins with play till that fluery action that led to the 3rd goal. Thought the third line wad very effective and though scevior had a great game. Drais line was strong down low. McDavid looked to be trying to hard which is to be expected in a losing streak. Between us missing the net and ullmark being unreal I truly believed the game should have been like 4 to 2 oilers. Also skinner was very solid imo and I hope gets a run of consecutive games here now but alas Tipp is in control. Thankfully Russell got hurt so he can't play.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795740 is a reply to message #795717 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

This team misses Duncan Keith.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795741 is a reply to message #795740 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

This was actually one of our better losses IMO. That might be due to us playing with more urgency once we are down, but overall I thought there were some good efforts all around.

Really liking Niemelainen. Honestly had almost forgotten he was in our system, never expected to see him in any games this year, let alone hold his own. Very encouraging.

I'm still liking Skinner - he gave up a breakaway goal to Brad Marchand, who love him or hate him, is #3 in points in the NHL over the last 5 years, behind only our 2 studs. Then a great shot by DeBrusk on the PP from 10 feet out. And finally a great shot by Grzelcyk who was allowed to walk in to the top of the circle and blast one while Nurse and Coyle were right on top of Skinner. I don't fault him for any of those goals. Sure some other goalies may have stopped one or all of those, but even Vasilevsky or Price might let any of those in, and nobody would call those bad goals.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795742 is a reply to message #795741 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 07:18

This was actually one of our better losses IMO. That might be due to us playing with more urgency once we are down, but overall I thought there were some good efforts all around.

Really liking Niemelainen. Honestly had almost forgotten he was in our system, never expected to see him in any games this year, let alone hold his own. Very encouraging.

I'm still liking Skinner - he gave up a breakaway goal to Brad Marchand, who love him or hate him, is #3 in points in the NHL over the last 5 years, behind only our 2 studs. Then a great shot by DeBrusk on the PP from 10 feet out. And finally a great shot by Grzelcyk who was allowed to walk in to the top of the circle and blast one while Nurse and Coyle were right on top of Skinner. I don't fault him for any of those goals. Sure some other goalies may have stopped one or all of those, but even Vasilevsky or Price might let any of those in, and nobody would call those bad goals.

Absolutely. Skinner has been a bright spot so far and aside from the puck moving gaff v Detroit (or was that Buffalo?) he’s been rather solid. Can’t fault the mustached one.

Team defence and depth scoring on the other hand. Yikes

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795743 is a reply to message #795741 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

In my opinion it comes down to the Oilers have WAY too many guys shooting blanks at the moment.

JP is hot and cold.

Nuge 2 goals in 25 games. It's nice that he gets all those PP assists but you won't win too many games when you have a top 6 player on a 7 goal pace. At least he's shooting a little. 13 shots in 5 games.

Yamo has 5 goals and 6 pts in 25 games. That's a 20 pt pace. Similar to Nuge is you won't win with a player putting up at poor of production. What's more concerning is he hasn't got a single shot on goal in 4 games and in the last 10 has 6. To put it into perspective, Foegele who's also snake bitten has 12 shots in 4 games.

I would make the following line changes and they are drastic to try to change it up.

Hyman - McD - Kassian - McD and Hyman seem to be a good pair so I keep them together. This isn't a promotion for Kassian for good play, its to mix up the lines and for a couple of games he did OK. I'd send a clear message to Kassian about his job.

Foegele - Leon - JP - Leon needs help. I have never liked Nuge and Yamo on the same line. Both are undersized, no one is an elite shooter, no one really goes to the net or gets pucks out of corners. So JP will provide someone to shoot for Leon's set ups. Foegele is the worker of the line. Goes hard to the net and even on the 3rd line seems to generate chances with not a ton of help.

Nuge - McLeod - Yamo - If you want to swap Nuge and McLeod, go for it but I don't think Nuge is a good enough center because of his faceoffs. The idea as a line is to have the puck more than the other team and if you can't win a faceoff, you are in chase mode right off the start. This line will be a soft line but my thinking is maybe they can get some scoring against some other teams 3rd lines.

My lines are using the Pittsburgh model of taking advantage of an elite center being able to elevate non top 6 players. So I paired a legit top 6 player plus added in a 3rd liner.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795748 is a reply to message #795741 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 06:18

I get no level of confidence watching Skinner in goal. He plays pretty deep in to my eye, and I think he spills out some ugly rebounds. I think he was saved by good defence on a couple bounces last night - Niemelainen with the big reach on one, McDavid with a deft stick lift on Hall on another. I would love to be proven wrong by him, and I'll fully admit, I'm just using the eye test here, so it's not like that's infallible, but I feel like he relies a lot on reflexes, which isn't my favourite.

As for what's wrong with the team, it's just the chickens coming home to roost. We weren't going to stay near 50% effectiveness on the powerplay and Draisaitl isn't going to score on 30% of his shots this year. At 5v5, we've been good when Draisaitl is on the ice, and amazing when Draisaitl & McDavid are on the ice. McDavid without Draisaitl has been slightly positive. Nugent-Hopkins without the other two is slightly negative, and if those three are off the ice, we've been a complete disaster.

If you're not great at even strength, then eventually it will catch up to you. Your powerplay only gets on the ice for a few minutes a game. We were at the top of the league because we were riding as hot a powerplay as the league has ever seen, but there was no way that was going to last all season. Our 5v5 is middle of the pack, so expect to regress to there.

Now, we should not be middle of the pack at 5v5, but that's indicative of some systemic issues. This team on paper, despite the issues in goal and defence, should be in the top third, and should be at the top of their division - especially with Vegas struggling. That's why I'd be taking some very hard looks at the coaching. If you fail to get production from half your roster consistently, no matter who is in that half of the roster? That's a pretty big issue. In the last full month and a half, there's been 4 goals scored while none of 97, 29, and 93 are on the ice. Puljujarvi scored against Vegas while playing on the third line. Yamamoto scored shorthanded against Chicago, and Cody Ceci scored against the Bruins November 11th. Devin Shore scored on November 3rd - the last time that any of our normal bottom sixers found the net without McDavid or Draisaitl feeding them (and even then, I think Kassian's the only one to score in all that time). Warren Foegele got all the love from the broadcast team last night, but since the start of November, he's got all of 4 assists, has gone -8 and hasn't been much of a factor for good. I like the player and what he brings and I don't think it's that he's forgotten how to play hockey. He's playing 12 minutes a night, so it isn't like he's just cold on the bench all the time either. I think he's playing in a system that doesn't really work - and that's on Dave Tippett.

On defence, Niemelainen does seem like found money though, and Lagesson's stats line has actually been better in his game, so maybe we shouldn't ever be playing Russell or Koekkoek again.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795750 is a reply to message #795748 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 11:42

Mike wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 06:18

I get no level of confidence watching Skinner in goal. He plays pretty deep in to my eye, and I think he spills out some ugly rebounds. I think he was saved by good defence on a couple bounces last night - Niemelainen with the big reach on one, McDavid with a deft stick lift on Hall on another. I would love to be proven wrong by him, and I'll fully admit, I'm just using the eye test here, so it's not like that's infallible, but I feel like he relies a lot on reflexes, which isn't my favourite.

As for what's wrong with the team, it's just the chickens coming home to roost. We weren't going to stay near 50% effectiveness on the powerplay and Draisaitl isn't going to score on 30% of his shots this year. At 5v5, we've been good when Draisaitl is on the ice, and amazing when Draisaitl & McDavid are on the ice. McDavid without Draisaitl has been slightly positive. Nugent-Hopkins without the other two is slightly negative, and if those three are off the ice, we've been a complete disaster.

If you're not great at even strength, then eventually it will catch up to you. Your powerplay only gets on the ice for a few minutes a game. We were at the top of the league because we were riding as hot a powerplay as the league has ever seen, but there was no way that was going to last all season. Our 5v5 is middle of the pack, so expect to regress to there.

Now, we should not be middle of the pack at 5v5, but that's indicative of some systemic issues. This team on paper, despite the issues in goal and defence, should be in the top third, and should be at the top of their division - especially with Vegas struggling. That's why I'd be taking some very hard looks at the coaching. If you fail to get production from half your roster consistently, no matter who is in that half of the roster? That's a pretty big issue. In the last full month and a half, there's been 4 goals scored while none of 97, 29, and 93 are on the ice. Puljujarvi scored against Vegas while playing on the third line. Yamamoto scored shorthanded against Chicago, and Cody Ceci scored against the Bruins November 11th. Devin Shore scored on November 3rd - the last time that any of our normal bottom sixers found the net without McDavid or Draisaitl feeding them (and even then, I think Kassian's the only one to score in all that time). Warren Foegele got all the love from the broadcast team last night, but since the start of November, he's got all of 4 assists, has gone -8 and hasn't been much of a factor for good. I like the player and what he brings and I don't think it's that he's forgotten how to play hockey. He's playing 12 minutes a night, so it isn't like he's just cold on the bench all the time either. I think he's playing in a system that doesn't really work - and that's on Dave Tippett.

On defence, Niemelainen does seem like found money though, and Lagesson's stats line has actually been better in his game, so maybe we shouldn't ever be playing Russell or Koekkoek again.

Bums me out how this team continues to perform like the original vision Lowe/Tambo had. Young superstar tier that will bring everyone to glory, and then the 2nd/3rd/4th tier bums that should just shut up and be thankful to be along for the ride and do the 1 role they were brought in to execute.

No idea what really goes on in that room or how the coach it instructing the depth to play, and there are so many reasons why our depth could be consistently useless, but still, the performance keeps matching the original vision. Except for the glory part of course.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 December 2021 12:24]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795752 is a reply to message #795750 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 12:21

Bums me out how this team continues to perform like the original vision Lowe/Tambo had. Young superstar tier that will bring everyone to glory, and then the 2nd/3rd/4th tier bums that should just shut up and be thankful to be along for the ride and do the 1 role they were brought in to execute.

No idea what really goes on in that room or how the coach it instructing the depth to play, and there are so many reasons why our depth could be consistently useless, but still, the performance keeps matching the original vision. Except for the glory part of course.

It is true - at least they don't repeatedly call players core and non-core in the media any more, but still...it does seem like everyone not a star may as well just be a cardboard cutout.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795749 is a reply to message #795717 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Apparently Schmiddy is on the ice at practice going on right now

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795751 is a reply to message #795749 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 12:07

Setback coming in 3...2...1...

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #795753 is a reply to message #795751 ]
Fri, 10 December 2021 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 13:32

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 12:07

Setback coming in 3...2...1...

😂😂 amen, Adam.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Previous Topic:Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #26)
Next Topic:Pregame: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #25)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca