This day on April 28
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilerfan in Tulsa, rrathel716

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #795625]
Tue, 07 December 2021 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Minnesota to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #795626 is a reply to message #795625 ]
Tue, 07 December 2021 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

*listening to that bomb falling... from wayyyyy up high*

This team's weaknesses and faults have become evident, and opponents are feasting.

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #795627 is a reply to message #795625 ]
Tue, 07 December 2021 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Well… that was a weird game. I watched the whole game but I’m not sure I actually saw anything. It was kind of just a meh game featuring a bit very good team.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #795628 is a reply to message #795625 ]
Tue, 07 December 2021 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Crap effort, poor energy except from the usual power sources.

Vet D men making rookie mistakes, consistently.

PP is stagnant, try someone else on pt., 22's muffin shot doesn't intimidate anyone, the opposition PK calls that bluff every game.

No help coming, the Oiler prospect cupboard in Bako is bare of forwards, no one you could call up in replacement, best forward is Holloway and he's on the IR, and hasn't played for a year.

Perlilini is a big disappointment, all the tools to succeed, no tool box, deep down he doesn't have the desire to be an NHL'er, too bad if he could have harnessed those skills, size, an dspeed, he'd have been a force.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #795631 is a reply to message #795628 ]
Wed, 08 December 2021 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Our vaunted special teams are coming back down to earth and we are being exposed. Our 5-5 play is no good. Take off McDrai and it is historically bad. Another sub .850 performance by Koskinen.

I understand we’re still missing key players on D, but this is not really a big surprise to anyone who has been paying attention.

1) we need a new coach. Not sure it would help, but I doubt it would hurt.
2) we need a goalie
3) something needs to happen with the bottom 6. Most of the guys seem skilled enough. Not sure what the issue is.

Edit to add: Don't look now, but we are now in 3rd place in the division, 4th in the conference, and only 4 points up on the last wild card.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 December 2021 06:03]

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #795632 is a reply to message #795631 ]
Wed, 08 December 2021 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 08 December 2021 04:35

Our vaunted special teams are coming back down to earth and we are being exposed. Our 5-5 play is no good. Take off McDrai and it is historically bad. Another sub .850 performance by Koskinen.

I understand we’re still missing key players on D, but this is not really a big surprise to anyone who has been paying attention.

2) we need a goalie
3) something needs to happen with the bottom 6. Most of the guys seem skilled enough. Not sure what the issue is.

Edit to add: Don't look now, but we are now in 3rd place in the division, 4th in the conference, and only 4 points up on the last wild card.

IMHO..

I don't want a new coach, that allows too many future excuses, other than the top 4 or 5 players, I don't see a lot of desire or commitment, some of the poor performance is attributable to physical talent, lack of size, speed, skill.. but mostly to me it seems for too many guys its just lack of intensity and hockey IQ.
I think the D will get better when they get Ceci and Keith back, and Nemo and/or Broberg replace 6 and KooKoo, plus moving 22 down to 3rd pair.

But.. those support forwards need to contribute way more if we are going to compete with the top franchises.

18, 97, 29 all AAA first class

93 contributes 5v5, PP, PK (but still can't put pucks in the net!) Playing with LD, he needs to convert more those AAA chances he gets for this team to go anywhere.

13 works hard, forechecks, fast, big body, net front presence, back checks well (for this team to win more games, he needs a better 5v5 conversion rate for all the AAA chances McD drops for him)

56 .. good speed, good forecheck, steals pucks, good hands.. but due to size, and more importantly strength, gets erased far too easily to enable sustained pressure in the O-zone. There's other guys in the NHL the same height as 56, but way way stronger, kid needs some protein shakes and a gym pass.

44 ? has the tools, but forgets the tool box way too often, seems more mental.. concussion effects?

37, I think he's been putting in the effort consistently, but not getting the pay off, he's a quality NHL 3rd line player, he can help drive a line. But he's been playing with guys like 44, 71, and 10 all year, which aren't really NHL 3rd line level. I think he'd get decent production with a better quality center and RW.

10 had a good pre-season, and early games.. looks like a mess right now, barely 4th line level at the moment, never mind 3rd.

71 is getting better, more comfortable, testing his range in the NHL, but not a driver of a line yet, too many w i d e turns without the puck, needs more straight lines, not enough stops and starts.

Rest of the forwards?? whatev's..

8 looks done like KD dinner. Wheels on the wagon not turning over at NHL pace.

70 Sceviour looks decent enough on the 4th, good speed, engages physically, usually minimal errors.

Perilini will be down in the Bake, maybe he needs some AHL reality therapy. At least he gets more ice time down there, maybe figure out if he really wants to play hockey for a living, maybe get his real estate license during his spare time.

Shore, decent on the PK, good forecheck, usually provides shifts with minimal error.

16.. kid tries really hard, puts in the effort, decent skill, and puck IQ, but his past injury problems to his core have left his speed as a disadvantage.

That's it for now..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #795633 is a reply to message #795632 ]
Wed, 08 December 2021 08:38 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 08 December 2021 07:09

Mike wrote on Wed, 08 December 2021 04:35

2) we need a goalie

IMHO..

I don't want a new coach, that allows too many future excuses, other than the top 4 or 5 players, I don't see a lot of desire or commitment, some of the poor performance is attributable to physical talent, lack of size, speed, skill.. but mostly to me it seems for too many guys its just lack of intensity and hockey IQ.
I think the D will get better when they get Ceci and Keith back, and Nemo and/or Broberg replace 6 and KooKoo, plus moving 22 down to 3rd pair.

But.. those support forwards need to contribute way more if we are going to compete with the top franchises.

18, 97, 29 all AAA first class

93 contributes 5v5, PP, PK (but still can't put pucks in the net!) Playing with LD, he needs to convert more those AAA chances he gets for this team to go anywhere.

13 works hard, forechecks, fast, big body, net front presence, back checks well (for this team to win more games, he needs a better 5v5 conversion rate for all the AAA chances McD drops for him)

56 .. good speed, good forecheck, steals pucks, good hands.. but due to size, and more importantly strength, gets erased far too easily to enable sustained pressure in the O-zone. There's other guys in the NHL the same height as 56, but way way stronger, kid needs some protein shakes and a gym pass.

44 ? has the tools, but forgets the tool box way too often, seems more mental.. concussion effects?

37, I think he's been putting in the effort consistently, but not getting the pay off, he's a quality NHL 3rd line player, he can help drive a line. But he's been playing with guys like 44, 71, and 10 all year, which aren't really NHL 3rd line level. I think he'd get decent production with a better quality center and RW.

10 had a good pre-season, and early games.. looks like a mess right now, barely 4th line level at the moment, never mind 3rd.

71 is getting better, more comfortable, testing his range in the NHL, but not a driver of a line yet, too many w i d e turns without the puck, needs more straight lines, not enough stops and starts.

Rest of the forwards?? whatev's..

8 looks done like KD dinner. Wheels on the wagon not turning over at NHL pace.

70 Sceviour looks decent enough on the 4th, good speed, engages physically, usually minimal errors.

Perilini will be down in the Bake, maybe he needs some AHL reality therapy. At least he gets more ice time down there, maybe figure out if he really wants to play hockey for a living, maybe get his real estate license during his spare time.

Shore, decent on the PK, good forecheck, usually provides shifts with minimal error.

16.. kid tries really hard, puts in the effort, decent skill, and puck IQ, but his past injury problems to his core have left his speed as a disadvantage.

That's it for now..

My general comment is the team as a whole flat out is not winning enough puck battles and not working hard enough. With their talent, there is absolutely no reason why the Oilers PP should be in the funk that it is unless the PK is outworking them for pucks and plays which is exactly what is happening. That's on 97, 29 and 93.

#18, I have zero issues with. Easily the best free agent signing to date in a very long time. He skates hard and fast, plays both special teams, works his ass off, forechecks hard, digs for pucks. Scoring he has 18 pts, 7 on special teams, 11 5 on 5. Nothing to complain about. I wish he would rub some of his work ethic on a few others.

#29 & 97. Supreme talents. Score 5 on 5 and on all special teams. My issue and this is especially for McD. Complete unwillingness to EVER change their attack. In my opinion, the NHL with the way it is called and played is not a rush league and will never be, Yes you can score some goals on the rush but you have to have the ability to have board play, work the puck down low and grind it out. The reason in my opinion Crosby has had so much success vs McD is Crosby plays like a 4th liner but has supreme skill. McD is WAY to much 1 and done. If it goes in great, when it doesn't look out. Leon can grind it down low and does more and if you look at the +/- stats, he's got much better +/- and you tend to see his line on WAY less for goals against than McD. Also, with his speed McD should be the absolute best backchecker in the league and he's not even close. McD reminds me a ton like Ovie was. Ovie didn't have playoff success and ultimately win the cup until he decided to change his game and do more of the little things. when McD decides ne needs to do all of the little things shift after shift, the rest will follow. Until that time comes, we will see the same old, same old. He also needs to be more willing to simplify his game when things aren't going his way. When you try the cross ice thru 3 guys in the first and they have it shut down. Then you try it in the second and they have it shut down, it needs to click in that something has to change. Same for the PP. He controls it, he basically decides what happens. The teams have adjusted, the plays that work the first 15 aren't there. You have to try something else. They know you are trying to feed Leon, try something else. Start feeding the point, let them bomb away, look for tips and rebounds. Then when the defenders have to leave the box to try to stop the point shot, other things will open up. Last night it was a classic example. The same crap over and over again that the Wild were ready for and a refusal to do something else.

#93. I am a fan, I am glad that he will be an Oiler for probably his whole career but he's not giving the team enough. I am sorry but he's an 11 yr guy, he should be one of the guys leading the charge and example. He's not winning enough puck battles. He's still a below average 5 on 5 scoring guy. He's got 23 pts and 15 are on special teams. When you are so grossly skewed for special teams vs 5 on 5 given who he plays with, that's a problem. 2 goals in 23 games is pathetic. That's a 7 goal pace. They need more from him.

#56. It's not working. I know he had a great 26 game stretch 2.5 yrs ago. That was a fluke. He's not that guy. I think his size is a major factor. Too easy to get pucks off and an inability to win any puck battles. Time to change. I would put him on the 3rd line.

#37. I like the guy. He works his butt off. Many a night he seems like a lone wolf on that 3rd line generating chances on his own. A bit snake bitten. I would swap he and Yamo. Nuge and Yamo do not work because no one goes and gets pucks, no one goes to the net, no one can win a puck battle in the corner. That guy ends up being Leon and that shouldn't be the case.

#44. Time for a change. He's got all the skills, size, speed, mean streak, to be a very good 3rd liner. It's not happening. I don't know if being a dad mellowed the crap out of him. Maybe getting the concussion spooked him. Whatever it is, he's not the same guy and it s a big problem. I would look to move him. I think a change would do him good. I think teams would take him.

#71. I like the player. I think he has all the making to be a good 3rd line center. He's got size, speed, skill. Wins draws. But he has to come to terms with the fact he won't be a top 6 guy because he's not quite good enough offensively. He can have one hell of a long, very lucrative NHL career as a 3rd line center. He just needs to grow a set. That doesn't mean fighting or running around drilling everything that moves but get into the guts of the game. You can't be a perimeter guy. He plays like he is half the size he is and is afraid to get touched. You have to go hard to the net. You don't have to blow up guys but how about get in on the forecheck hard and just finish your check. Maybe occasionally get in someones face. You aren't going to get killed but just show you aren't afraid. Grow a set!

Previous Topic:GDT: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24)
Next Topic:Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca