This day on April 26
None

Happy Birthday To: Hemmer2Eberle, Burgeoboy, Weloveoil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794451]
Sun, 14 November 2021 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
St. Louis to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794453 is a reply to message #794451 ]
Sun, 14 November 2021 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Thanks, Yams.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794454 is a reply to message #794453 ]
Sun, 14 November 2021 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Sun, 14 November 2021 19:46

Thanks, Yams.

Let’s hope they keep this going vs the Jets. Maybe they can use last year’s playoffs as motivation.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794455 is a reply to message #794454 ]
Sun, 14 November 2021 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

JP was an absolute beast on the puck all night long. Creating turnovers, breaking up plays. Awesome to see. The boys definitely owe Kostco a few beers after this one - score would have been really ugly if not for him.

I wasn't a fan of the Ceci signing at all, but he's quietly impressed me. Certainly not as much of a step down from Larsson as I had expected, and he's a MUCH better passer than Larsson.

How about that pass from Drai on the game winner? Not many players in the league can make that pass, and nice job on the finish by Yams.

Finally, mandatory "what the hell is wrong with the refs?" comment. Absolute bush league yet again.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794456 is a reply to message #794451 ]
Sun, 14 November 2021 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Following this while on the road in southern AB.

A win against a decent team, Nuge and McLeod with 1sts, and sounds like Leon had another big night.

I'll assume the reffing was an abomination. How was Koskinen?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794457 is a reply to message #794456 ]
Sun, 14 November 2021 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 14 November 2021 19:55

A win against a decent team, Nuge and McLeod with 1sts, and sounds like Leon had another big night.

A bit schizophrenic. Brilliant in the 1st, ok in the second, went full Kostawin in the 3rd.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794460 is a reply to message #794457 ]
Sun, 14 November 2021 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Sun, 14 November 2021 19:59

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 14 November 2021 19:55

A bit schizophrenic. Brilliant in the 1st, ok in the second, went full Kostawin in the 3rd.

Not sure I blame him for the goals in the third. The Barbashev goal is a ridiculous shot, and the Tarasenko goal comes from Nurse getting only enough on the pass/shot, to change it's direction and slow it down for the tap-in. Bouchard could have been a little stronger on Tarasenko too. Might have been a place to take a penalty to save a goal. 39 shots on the game, so under .900 for Koskinen tonight, but he's certainly had much worse performances than that. A couple really big saves - the Oilers defence isn't rock solid.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794458 is a reply to message #794451 ]
Sun, 14 November 2021 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

This 2 line thing makes weird stuff happen.

What a total not Oilers-like way for a game to end. Love it.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794461 is a reply to message #794451 ]
Sun, 14 November 2021 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Koskinen had a great game, hung out to dry by his team on most of those goals.
Taresenko's goal was Bouchard's man, totally weak sauce on that, he was standing right beside him, he just never thought to get position on him..
Nuge played strong, relentless.
Buffalo King great game both ends of the ice.
Nurse not so strong, he needs to play better.
McLeod showed some spark..

Great test for the Oil, this was a taste of NHL refereeing to come in the playoffs, so many hooks/slashes to the hands ALL game so many the ref gets desensitized, lowers infraction bar, and we get what we saw, its how LA won 2 Cups, and the Blues won theirs, same recipe., where the Refs are the main ingredient.

Can't remember the cap hit buying out Neal, but worth every penny.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794462 is a reply to message #794451 ]
Sun, 14 November 2021 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I really thought “ Boosh-Nay-vee-itCH” woulda scored in OT. Jack Michaels went full Borat every time he touched the puck.

https://c.tenor.com/V1q28JCcwoYAAAAM/borat-pain.gif

Uhly 2 points, but what a huge win!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794463 is a reply to message #794451 ]
Sun, 14 November 2021 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Drai up on McDavid by 4 points. Better P/60 without McDavid then with this season 5v5.

Keep your head out of your butt Tippett. Let it ride. McDavid with Hyman and Pulju will catch up eventually.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794464 is a reply to message #794463 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 14 November 2021 22:29

Drai up on McDavid by 4 points. Better P/60 without McDavid then with this season 5v5.

Keep your head out of your butt Tippett. Let it ride. McDavid with Hyman and Pulju will catch up eventually.

I thought this meant that the Oilers really have to get McDavid going so need to load up to give him a boost?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794466 is a reply to message #794464 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 15 November 2021 00:21

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 14 November 2021 22:29

I thought this meant that the Oilers really have to get McDavid going so need to load up to give him a boost?

Hehe, better not!

Hyman-McDavid-Pulju will be just fine IMO. Let them figure it out. Both Pulju and Hyman have all the complimentary skills to help McDavid. Defensive play, board work, getting to the net, and some finish. Pulju with the jets as well.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794467 is a reply to message #794466 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I thought Koskinen was very good.

A tough game to get anything going with all the penalties especially early on.

Nice to see Nuge finally get 1.

McLeod got his first which is nice and he did it going to the net which is something he doesn't do. I hope it continues.

I thought the entire defense core had an off night.

They found a way to win. I will take them anyway they can get them.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794468 is a reply to message #794467 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

This team is so much better with 2 lines going, if not 3.

I believe Bouchard will be a stud for a long time in this league, but he serves up a bunch of hot pepperoni pizzas every game it seems. I love his shoot first mentality in the offensive zone - haven't had that on the team in a while, but he needs to take a look before dishing it.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794479 is a reply to message #794468 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 15 November 2021 07:32

I believe Bouchard will be a stud for a long time in this league, but he serves up a bunch of hot pepperoni pizzas every game it seems. I love his shoot first mentality in the offensive zone - haven't had that on the team in a while, but he needs to take a look before dishing it.

Yeah a few game now where he loses his man in front of the net, or trailer, puck awareness issues, and its in our net, easy fixes, just needs to be more diligent in identifying where the open guys are, and nullifying them. And a few extra hot pepperoni pizzas served up.. he's getting there, but not his best game in St. Louise :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794482 is a reply to message #794479 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 15 November 2021 12:09

Yeah a few game now where he loses his man in front of the net, or trailer, puck awareness issues, and its in our net, easy fixes, just needs to be more diligent in identifying where the open guys are, and nullifying them. And a few extra hot pepperoni pizzas served up.. he's getting there, but not his best game in St. Louise :)

Call up Manson, demote Playfair. Have Manson bring up Niemelainen or Broberg when he comes. Send Cowboy down and never look back.

Bouchard is a rookie, so his game isn't going to be perfect. We need to accept that there will be some challenges and then help him develop. Ideally, he wouldn't have been a first pairing guy this year, but that is what it is.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 November 2021 12:18]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794485 is a reply to message #794482 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 15 November 2021 12:15

Call up Manson, demote Playfair. Have Manson bring up Niemelainen or Broberg when he comes. Send Cowboy down and never look back.

Bouchard is a rookie, so his game isn't going to be perfect. We need to accept that there will be some challenges and then help him develop. Ideally, he wouldn't have been a first pairing guy this year, but that is what it is.

Yeah, but did you see the shot Russell blocked last night? Bloody warrior. The Blues broadcast team made note of it and how he hobbled to the back.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794489 is a reply to message #794485 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 15 November 2021 13:05

Yeah, but did you see the shot Russell blocked last night? Bloody warrior. The Blues broadcast team made note of it and how he hobbled to the back.

Maybe we should see if St Louis wants to acquire that kind of warrior before shipping him to the AHL. After all, he's a Blues alumnus and they do have Peter Chiarelli helping out there. Ol' Pete has some great fancy stats showing Russell is among the league's best...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794502 is a reply to message #794482 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Has a team ever demoted a coach? I think I’d rather be fired.

Love to see Manson up here. That’s a lot of Prince Albert on one bench.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794504 is a reply to message #794502 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 15 November 2021 22:55

For what it's worth, I'd love to see Tippett let go too and someone else brought in who has more than a single solution and who can get the bottom six to contribute.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794507 is a reply to message #794504 ]
Tue, 16 November 2021 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 15 November 2021 23:12

For what it's worth, I'd love to see Tippett let go too and someone else brought in who has more than a single solution and who can get the bottom six to contribute.

I’m with you. He’s not going anywhere unless we fall apart or get dumped in the 1st round, but a guy like Woodcroft sounds good. New blood. Young guys like playing for him. I’m tired of the old retreads.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794516 is a reply to message #794507 ]
Tue, 16 November 2021 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 16 November 2021 08:05

Adam wrote on Mon, 15 November 2021 23:12

I’m with you. He’s not going anywhere unless we fall apart or get dumped in the 1st round, but a guy like Woodcroft sounds good. New blood. Young guys like playing for him. I’m tired of the old retreads.

We need some Lou-firing-Robbie-Ftorek level boldness from Holland. I don't think he has that in him though.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794492 is a reply to message #794479 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Some more on Nurse & Bouchard:

Quote:

Sid
@NHL_Sid

Although they had a rough game last night, here's where Nurse - Bouchard rank among other top pairs in the league Eyes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FEQoml1VgAIiGDs?format=png&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FEQooCIVQAAFfzq?format=png&name=small

This poster was irritated by Spector singling out Bouchard and calling him particularly "soft" today. Slamming Spec is pretty fair given that clearly that top pairing is not the big issue for the Oilers.

Or as "Sid" pointed out:

Quote:

Sid
@NHL_Sid
·
3h
But yeah, it should definitely be Bouchard that's singled out when it comes to bad defensive play.

It's totally not like the 3rd pairs of Russell/Barrie and Koekkoek/Barrie rank 2nd and 6th last in the league respectively (for d-pairs with at least 30 TOI)

Of course, by now we all should have come to expect no less from Spector than lazy reporting with zero analysis.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794493 is a reply to message #794492 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg  is currently offline Greg

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 15 November 2021 16:24

Quote:

Sid
@NHL_Sid

Although they had a rough game last night, here's where Nurse - Bouchard rank among other top pairs in the league Eyes

This poster was irritated by Spector singling out Bouchard and calling him particularly "soft" today. Slamming Spec is pretty fair given that clearly that top pairing is not the big issue for the Oilers.

Or as "Sid" pointed out:

Quote:

Sid
@NHL_Sid
·
3h
But yeah, it should definitely be Bouchard that's singled out when it comes to bad defensive play.

It's totally not like the 3rd pairs of Russell/Barrie and Koekkoek/Barrie rank 2nd and 6th last in the league respectively (for d-pairs with at least 30 TOI)

Of course, by now we all should have come to expect no less from Spector than lazy reporting with zero analysis.

Who's that playing with Slavin in Carolina? Do you think we could get him for Draisaitl...?

[Updated on: Mon, 15 November 2021 16:29]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794494 is a reply to message #794493 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Greg wrote on Mon, 15 November 2021 16:27

Adam wrote on Mon, 15 November 2021 16:24

Quote:

Sid
@NHL_Sid

Or as "Sid" pointed out:

Quote:

Sid
@NHL_Sid
·
3h

Who's that playing with Slavin in Carolina? Do you think we could get him for Draisaitl...?

I laughed.

It's pretty fortunate Bouchard is playing above his pay grade right now.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794496 is a reply to message #794494 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 15 November 2021 16:33

I laughed.

It's pretty fortunate Bouchard is playing above his pay grade right now.

More on this same note:

Quote:

Arch
@Archaeologuy

Evan Bouchard leads the Oiler blueline in CF%, FF%, SF%, SCF%, has the 2nd lowest GA/60 and is running a flat 1.000 PDO.

If you’re finding fault in his game ahead of the vets who have been legitimately struggling in some areas, then you’ve got some weird ass agenda

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794472 is a reply to message #794451 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Beauty of a finish by Yam!! Koskinen keep upping your trade value for the deadline.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794488 is a reply to message #794472 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I know that game wasn't exactly a defensive game but it was very entertaining. I like high energy, lots of goals hockey so I was fine with it.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794503 is a reply to message #794472 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Mon, 15 November 2021 10:52

Beauty of a finish by Yam!! Koskinen keep upping your trade value for the deadline.

If he’s continuing to stop pucks like he is, Holland won’t be moving Koskinen. Double edged sword. If they’re winning it’ll be depth forwards and a significant upgrade in the top D. Goalie situation wouldn’t change and I don’t think you could blame them.

I just fear an extension.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794524 is a reply to message #794503 ]
Tue, 16 November 2021 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 15 November 2021 23:05

If he’s continuing to stop pucks like he is, Holland won’t be moving Koskinen. Double edged sword. If they’re winning it’ll be depth forwards and a significant upgrade in the top D. Goalie situation wouldn’t change and I don’t think you could blame them.

If he wasn't being paid what he is, I wouldn't be as bothered but hes been overpaid damn near this whole. I agree with your statement, I'm just having wishful thinking as Id love him moved while hot if a trade option came up.. as he gets hot then usually lets us all down. I hope he isn't extended as I'd like a more solid option but if he is I hope its for around $3M on a 1 year deal lol.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794526 is a reply to message #794524 ]
Tue, 16 November 2021 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Tue, 16 November 2021 10:01

If he wasn't being paid what he is, I wouldn't be as bothered but hes been overpaid damn near this whole. I agree with your statement, I'm just having wishful thinking as Id love him moved while hot if a trade option came up.. as he gets hot then usually lets us all down. I hope he isn't extended as I'd like a more solid option but if he is I hope its for around $3M on a 1 year deal lol.

I don't think I can handle another year of Smith/Koskinen with them eating up $5.5MM of cap space between them. Slightly better than $7MM of cap space, but even so...

The team needs a goalie we can rely on to win games in the playoffs. Koskinen's shrunk when he's been given the chance, and Mike Smith sure ain't the answer either. I really hope there's a deal out there come trade deadline to get us a real netminder, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's nice to see Koskinen with the come back performance though and hopefully it lasts as long as possible.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794542 is a reply to message #794526 ]
Tue, 16 November 2021 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 16 November 2021 10:34

I don't think I can handle another year of Smith/Koskinen with them eating up $5.5MM of cap space between them. Slightly better than $7MM of cap space, but even so...

The team needs a goalie we can rely on to win games in the playoffs. Koskinen's shrunk when he's been given the chance, and Mike Smith sure ain't the answer either. I really hope there's a deal out there come trade deadline to get us a real netminder, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's nice to see Koskinen with the come back performance though and hopefully it lasts as long as possible.

I agree, I've been burned by Koskinen too many times to believe this success will last. I don't want to see a Smith/Koskinen pairing next year at all.. I'd be very disappointed. However, Schmiddy for one final year as back up with a solid netminder.. that's what we want.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794544 is a reply to message #794542 ]
Tue, 16 November 2021 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Tue, 16 November 2021 16:40

I agree, I've been burned by Koskinen too many times to believe this success will last. I don't want to see a Smith/Koskinen pairing next year at all.. I'd be very disappointed. However, Schmiddy for one final year as back up with a solid netminder.. that's what we want.

I’m in no way endorsing this combo. Ol’ Kenny will try, but if he misses his shot in the off-season I will not be surprised to see this tandem return.

I can’t see Koskinen’s play holding up. His let downs are usually massive. Maybe he got 5 goals allowed on 5 shots left in him yet?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794585 is a reply to message #794542 ]
Wed, 17 November 2021 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Tue, 16 November 2021 16:40

I'm hoping for a Koskinen replacement and Smith on LTIR so we can get a better goalie who isn't a brittle fading 40 year old. I don't trust Holland not to go and sign two more dinosaurs though. Watch us run out a Fleury/Holtby tandem.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #14) [message #794588 is a reply to message #794451 ]
Wed, 17 November 2021 05:49 Go to previous message

3 Cups

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #15)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #15)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca