This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792914]
Wed, 13 October 2021 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT) (SO)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Vancouver to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792942 is a reply to message #792914 ]
Wed, 13 October 2021 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

La bamba is playing in Rogers right meow! La la la la la la bamba!

LFG Oily Boys! Way to win that one for Grammy McDavey!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792944 is a reply to message #792914 ]
Wed, 13 October 2021 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Holland and Tippett can do no wrong! For now! :)

Loaded top line!? No biggie, Nuge line was good!

Smith still got the battle!? Yup!

Keith/Ceci decent together!? Heck yeah!

Rest easy Oilers fans. For tonight!

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2021 22:57]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792955 is a reply to message #792944 ]
Wed, 13 October 2021 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 13 October 2021 21:55

Holland and Tippett can do no wrong! For now! :)

Loaded top line!? No biggie, Nuge line was good!

Smith still got the battle!? Yup!

Keith/Ceci decent together!? Heck yeah!

Rest easy Oilers fans. For tonight!

Holland, yes.

Tippett needs to figure out how to keep the team playing the whole sixty.

But a W is a W and I’ll take it!

Smith looking better tonight than I can remember in a long time, looks fresh and battling.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792956 is a reply to message #792955 ]
Thu, 14 October 2021 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Meh. First game. I assume it's the same for everyone, but they really need to work on their passing. Almost like the Canucks were wearing camo - they (everyone) kept passing it right to them.

Hyman and RNH looked pretty good together. Makes me think we could be not far off from a 3 line team. Some combo of

??? - McDavid - JP
??? - Draisaitl - Yamomoto
Hyman - RNH - ???

Kassian when he comes back with RNH and Hyman could be pretty good. Foegele with 97 or 29. Maybe give Holloway a sniff when he's ready? I don't know - I just feel that the lines look so much better as a whole with the top line not loaded.

Ceci wasn't great defending, but didn't look too bad moving the puck up. Bouchard deserves a better partner than Russell. Koekkoek, Broberg, whatever.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792960 is a reply to message #792956 ]
Thu, 14 October 2021 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Thu, 14 October 2021 06:53

I don't know - I just feel that the lines look so much better as a whole with the top line not loaded.

McDavid & Draisaitl both played over 24 min last night. Nuge was next at just over 21. In a game that the Oilers led for a good chunk of, this was probably unnecessary and another advantage of splitting the 2 up, they probably don't have to play as much individually since you can have at least one of them out the for most of the game if they're apart. Their TOI was increased by their 3min each in OT, which I also find a bit annoying. Of course they're lethal when they get the puck, but I feel like they would be more effective if they took three or four :40 second shifts rather than three 1:00+ shifts.

I wonder what Kurt Leavins thinks about Keith/Ceci's icetime now that the games actually mean something.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792961 is a reply to message #792960 ]
Thu, 14 October 2021 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 14 October 2021 10:22

I don't know - I just feel that the lines look so much better as a whole with the top line not loaded.

McDavid & Draisaitl both played over 24 min last night. Nuge was next at just over 21. In a game that the Oilers led for a good chunk of, this was probably unnecessary and another advantage of splitting the 2 up, they probably don't have to play as much individually since you can have at least one of them out the for most of the game if they're apart. Their TOI was increased by their 3min each in OT, which I also find a bit annoying. Of course they're lethal when they get the puck, but I feel like they would be more effective if they took three or four :40 second shifts rather than three 1:00+ shifts.

I wonder what Kurt Leavins thinks about Keith/Ceci's icetime now that the games actually mean something.

Did the radio guys say their exact ice time? I think Leavins is safe to just say they played 2nd pair minutes if not.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792984 is a reply to message #792961 ]
Thu, 14 October 2021 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 14 October 2021 10:59

Did the radio guys say their exact ice time? I think Leavins is safe to just say they played 2nd pair minutes if not.

They were easily the 2nd pairing both at 5-5 and shorthanded.

Nurse played 32 mins against the toughest competition, but hey, number nerds says he's slightly above average. How dare he ask for 1st pairing money.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792986 is a reply to message #792984 ]
Thu, 14 October 2021 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 14 October 2021 19:00

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 14 October 2021 10:59

They were easily the 2nd pairing both at 5-5 and shorthanded.

Nurse played 32 mins against the toughest competition, but hey, number nerds says he's slightly above average. How dare he ask for 1st pairing money.

Not surprising when someone against analytics oversimplifies things. Nurse is a good D, who had a great season last year and signed at the absolute ceiling in terms of contract length and value. he's managed to make his other contracts seem like value deals. It will be a challenge to do so with this one.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792981 is a reply to message #792960 ]
Thu, 14 October 2021 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Connor can probably handle those minutes (his lungs must process oxygen at a freak level). Leon would be much more effective at 19 or 20 min.....and more reasonably shift lengths. He's world class when fresh, but the decline is evident late in long shifts.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792982 is a reply to message #792981 ]
Thu, 14 October 2021 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 14 October 2021 18:17

Connor can probably handle those minutes (his lungs must process oxygen at a freak level). Leon would be much more effective at 19 or 20 min.....and more reasonably shift lengths. He's world class when fresh, but the decline is evident late in long shifts.

Another reason I figured the little engine that could Hyman would be a perfect linemate for McDavid, along with Pulju. 3 guys with top end engines that can go hard every shift.

But, oh well.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792988 is a reply to message #792982 ]
Thu, 14 October 2021 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 14 October 2021 18:37

Another reason I figured the little engine that could Hyman would be a perfect linemate for McDavid, along with Pulju. 3 guys with top end engines that can go hard every shift.

But, oh well.

Not sure if anyone has the longevity to match McDavid. JP seems to still have some legs late in games, but would he if he had 4-6 extra PP/PK minutes a night? Hyman remains to be seen, but he skates miles in the bit I've seen. I wouldn't mind if Tip didnt ride Connor so much either. I like Leon when the game slows down just a tad. He won a Hart playing that game as a center, and he was pretty much always in the fight that year. Awesome player but I don't care for the utilization at times.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792994 is a reply to message #792988 ]
Fri, 15 October 2021 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Per Michaels:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Hyman-RNH-Yamamoto
Foegele-Ryan-Kassian
Perlini-McLeod-Turris

Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Ceci
Koekkoek-Bouchard

Kassian says he will play tomorrow vs. the Flames. I wonder if someone will have to be optioned or loaned to Bakersfield for salary cap reasons.. Also wondering if it will be Koskinen or Smith.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #793001 is a reply to message #792994 ]
Fri, 15 October 2021 14:49 Go to previous message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 15 October 2021 12:34

Per Michaels:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Hyman-RNH-Yamamoto
Foegele-Ryan-Kassian
Perlini-McLeod-Turris

Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Ceci
Koekkoek-Bouchard

Kassian says he will play tomorrow vs. the Flames. I wonder if someone will have to be optioned or loaned to Bakersfield for salary cap reasons.. Also wondering if it will be Koskinen or Smith.

Schmiddy gets the start v Calgary Saturday night

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792998 is a reply to message #792982 ]
Fri, 15 October 2021 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 14 October 2021 17:37

But, oh well.

I think that's a factor, McDavid has extraterrestrial endurance, can accelerate at top speed the entire, extra long shift. In comparison, LD and JP start to run out of gas before the end of it, because they unfortunately are only humans.
Hyman seems to be a guy with a motor that doesn't fall off at the end of the shift, still maintains the speed and drive, when they start playing him and McD together will be interesting.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792985 is a reply to message #792956 ]
Thu, 14 October 2021 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 14 October 2021 07:53

Meh. First game. I assume it's the same for everyone, but they really need to work on their passing. Almost like the Canucks were wearing camo - they (everyone) kept passing it right to them.

Hyman and RNH looked pretty good together. Makes me think we could be not far off from a 3 line team. Some combo of

??? - McDavid - JP
??? - Draisaitl - Yamomoto
Hyman - RNH - ???

Kassian when he comes back with RNH and Hyman could be pretty good. Foegele with 97 or 29. Maybe give Holloway a sniff when he's ready? I don't know - I just feel that the lines look so much better as a whole with the top line not loaded.

Ceci wasn't great defending, but didn't look too bad moving the puck up. Bouchard deserves a better partner than Russell. Koekkoek, Broberg, whatever.

Bouchard played 10 more minutes than Russell. By the end of the game he was taking regular reps with Nurse.

Barrie was a tire fire and Russell’s new number fooled me a couple times and then it didn’t. He was the second eat biggest turd out there last night. I’m confident that Barrie won’t win a Norris, but he won’t be this bad again.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792948 is a reply to message #792914 ]
Wed, 13 October 2021 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

I was going to say something else about Turris, but I'll give him a pass today with the shootout winner.

Should have never gone to OT, but happy for the win. Nuge and Hyman looked great together which I did not see coming, and 3rd line was solid as well. I feel like we never saw any full on McDavid and Draisaitl magic in this one outside of the PP and we still got the win.

Hockey is back!

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792951 is a reply to message #792948 ]
Wed, 13 October 2021 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

I dare say when the regular season ends the Nuck's may not be anywhere near the play-off's, but they fought all game and didn't allow the Oilers to play at all. Fortunate to get the two goals as they did, but with Smith stealing so many I kind of don't degrudge them tonight.

Happy with the first win, and we move on to the next game. Fantastic to hear La Bamba as our new win song, would have prefered it as our goal song, but playing it none the less for Joey.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792952 is a reply to message #792951 ]
Wed, 13 October 2021 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Leia wrote on Wed, 13 October 2021 23:02

I dare say when the regular season ends the Nuck's may not be anywhere near the play-off's, but they fought all game and didn't allow the Oilers to play at all. Fortunate to get the two goals as they did, but with Smith stealing so many I kind of don't degrudge them tonight.

Happy with the first win, and we move on to the next game. Fantastic to hear La Bamba as our new win song, would have prefered it as our goal song, but playing it none the less for Joey.

I’m glad they play it for the win. I’m glad they don’t play it every goal.

Not a fan. Of the song of course…

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792950 is a reply to message #792914 ]
Wed, 13 October 2021 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

10 years ago this would have been game 1 of a 9 game tryout for Carter Savoie.

Progress.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792957 is a reply to message #792950 ]
Thu, 14 October 2021 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Was at the game and it was sure nice to be in the building again!

By lines:
Drai - McD - JP - McD was flying. JP was a man amongst boys for the first half of the game wasn't as visible the second half but overall was good. Leon was off all night. Missing passes, missing shots, he didn't have a good night.

Hyman - Nuge - Yam - I personally do not see Nuge as a good second line center, prefer him on the wing. I prefer McD and Leon split up but this line was excellent all night. I thought Yamo looked good and had chances, Nuge looked good and HYMAN!! WOW. If that is the guy the Oilers got, he's worth the money. He was outstanding. Everyone wanted another line driver, well Hyman is it. He was excellent. He's fast, turns the puck over constantly, all over the other team and he has way more skill than I knew.

Foegele - Ryan - Sceivior - I thought this line was good. All the Oilers penalties didn't help so Foegele didn't get as much icetime but when he was on he was fast, turned over pucks, had chances to score. I liked Sceivior stepping up for Keith. You put Kassian in his spot and I think this could be a very good 3rd line. Ryan did what he was brought in to do. Win faceoffs (62%) kill penalties, be good in your own zone, create some offense.

Perlini - McLeod - Turris - This line didn't get a lot of time due to all the penalties but when they were out there, they generated chances. I thought McLeod was the weak link of the line as he had a few bad plays. I thought Turris played very well and I thought Perlini was fine.

Nurse - Barrie - Nurse is a freaking horse. The guy just plays and plays and never looks tired. He was very good. I thought Barrie was off. Had a bunch of times where the puck seemed to bounce off him or his stick.

Keith - Ceci - I thought they were very good. 1 game in but if they can do that on most nights, the second pair will be fine.

Russell - Bouchard - I thought Bouchard was excellent. A TON of time on the PK and looked good doing it. Russell wasn't good.

Smith was excellent except for the 2nd goal.

It seemed to me that the Oilers as a team were faster than last year. They seemed to have the puck a TON. Their transition game looked great. They need to cut down on the penalties as it really hampered their game granted I thought some of those calls were WEAK. Especially the instigator. I am not sure if the ice was bad or the team had the jitters with fans in the stands but it sure seemed like they were bobbling the puck a lot.

It shouldn't have went to OT but I will take the win as there was lots to like in my opinion but also areas to hammer down on which I am sure the coaches don't mind.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #792959 is a reply to message #792914 ]
Thu, 14 October 2021 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Not sure if I'll ever want to be in in Rogers for a while. This whole pandemic has made me want to stay away from the unwashed masses.

Miss it though..

Anywhoo... 15 minutes of the 3rd were a tire fire, the Oilers chasing their tail and the Canucks simply getting to pucks faster. The Canucks can be proud how they played in the 3rd but the 1st and second were all Oilers.

How about that McDavid warm hug to Smith? My wife doesn't even hug me that warmly and she loves me! (Quiet ... quiet you....) eek

I'm sorry I think Ceci struggled during the game and I loved Keith came back after his face met the boards..

Bouchard looked poised in his 1st NHL game. I love his shot. Just gets in there.

We got to resign JP he is becoming more valuable by the day.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Next Topic:GDT: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca