This day on November 29
None

Happy Birthday To: Lew19, Houndtown, aheadby1, rwilford, Lucky Luc 20, onintwo, Gimmetrades

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Nurse's FuturePages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Nurse's Future [message #753621 is a reply to message #753620 ]
Wed, 05 February 2020 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 05 February 2020 14:20

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 February 2020 14:08

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 05 February 2020 14:01

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 February 2020 10:12

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 05 February 2020 09:15

Rishaug talking this morning that the Oilers are supposedly talking maybe a short term, less money deal with Nurse. If that is the case, maybe they have their number that they won't budge off of for a long term deal. I said it a few times, I don't know how the Nurse camp can expect more than Morrissey. There is just too many similarities between both players to justify anymore.

A short term deal while not ideal because it would take Nurse to UFA but it would save them some money and in 2 years, the cap is supposed to go up a lot and the Oilers would have a lot of their buyout money gone. Plus you'd have a long body of work for Nurse. If Nurse is what he is right now in a couple of seasons which is a pretty solid, big minute, top 4 dman who can do a little bit of everything but scores around 30-35 pts, you know what he is. I am sure Nurse wants more because he is guarding against him becoming a 50 pt guy which I don't see.

Saw MacKenzie suggest 2 years at something under 6M. Yikes. If we sign that, I think you seriously need to consider trading him very soon.

That would really surprise me. Always figured Nurse was loved to death by the org and it would come down from on high to get him signed long term. Maybe not. Or maybe full autonomy is actually a thing? :)

Why would you have to trade him if he signs a 2 year deal?

I am a fan of Nurse, I think he is very valuable to this team but that value comes at a price. I don't see how he can make anymore than Morrissey on a long term deal which I have stated. The Oilers can't afford to be giving out huge overpays on long term deals. If you can get him for Morrissey money on a long term deal, I think that is fair. The cap is going to go up. The comparison to Klefbom as a tiny bit of merit but at the same time, when Klefbom signed he had way, way less experience and wasn't even close to being established AND the cap was significantly lower than it is now. He signed his deal in 2015. I think it's a pipe dream of some who think 5 mill is fair on a long term deal. That is a 900k raise from when Klefbom signed 5 years ago. That's not realistic.

I think Nurse feels like he has more offense to give which is where his 8 mill starting point comes from. Personally I don't see it. I am sure he looks at the 41 he put up last year as a starting point and he will build off that. If he was a 50 pt guy every year, then sure, he probably deserves a contract close to 8.
He's not. He's a 30-35 pt guy. He's on pace for 35 pts this year. With Klefbom doing what he does which is 30-40. Then you factor in Bear who's a bit more offensive so chances are he will up his points a bit next year. Then you factor in Bouchard is coming who's purely offensive, the offensive opportunities for Nurse are not going to get any better. So if you sign him to a 2 yr deal and with all the younger, more offensive guys coming up which cements his role as more of a defensive shut down guy. He is on pace for 35 pts this year. With a defensive shut down guy role cemented in and even less offensive opportunity as he probably won't get any PP time, if he puts up another 30-35 pts next year, you have a history.

So you go to him after next season in the last year of his deal. The cap has gone up a bunch with the new TV deal for the States in place. You have the new expansion team there. You have cleared some bad money off the books. You should have a guys like Bouchard and Bear being your main right shot guys, McDavid and Leon, his 2 best buddies on the team will be cooking along. His team should be good, then you go to him and lock him up long term as the shut down guy he is and pay him accordingly.

I think he is likely done in Edmonton if both sides think a 2 year deal is OK. If he is hoping for more offensive numbers, that would mean he needs PP time, and I think the PP time is close to belonging to Bouchard. It's not gonna work out that well for Nurse. Then he starts thinking he needs to go to another team before he can get what he thinks he deserves.

My thought on Nurse has always been that the org wants him long term, so the idea he could be moved never seemed realistic. If that's not the case, I'm totally open to moving him for some forward help. I'm not that impressed still with his passing game, and the guy still loses focus a lot defensively. Great skater for sure, and he is able to get involved well enough during McDavid ice time to get decent ES point production, but I don't feel there is that much in his game that is irreplaceable. He is very heavily dependent on his D partner for puck moving. Thank goodness for Bear.

The teams that are going to overpay for a guy like Nurse in money and even opportunity are probably lousy teams.

So if the Oilers are a good team which they should be. They are a contender which they should be. They have Leon and McDavid dominating which they will be. Nurse will be a key member on the team both in the room and on the ice. You think he's going to leave his best buddies to go for the money right when they should be cooking with gas?

He's already made over 9 mill in career earnings. Let's say he signs a 2 yr deal at around 5 mill. So there is another 10 mill.
Then in 2 years, when he is 27 and still has 4-5 real good years left. You dangle 4-5 yrs at around 6 mill per in front of him, he's going to leave his buddies for a few mill more?

I suppose it could happen but if I am loving who I play with, my team is good and will be good for years to come and I have something like 40-50 mill in career earnings, I wouldn't leave. If it was his last contract then maybe. But he will be early 30's and unless he gets hurt, he will have another contract after.

If he's playing hardball now and demanding something like 8M long term (maybe his actual goal is something like 7.25M, still too high), I think that answers the question about his approach. Why would he not just sign 6M long term now if he would be willing to do 5mx2 now and 6M in 2 years?

I think after a 5Mx2 deal, he's back at 8M again at least. If he felt he was robbed of PP opportunity over those 2 years which suppressed his point totals he feels he was capable of, it makes the negotiation even harder leading up to him being a UFA. Not sure if the buddies thing is strong enough for the vast majority of players to be OK taking significantly less than you think you're worth. He'll still get to hang with all those guys in the summer and post-career.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Nurse's Future [message #753629 is a reply to message #753621 ]
Wed, 05 February 2020 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 February 2020 14:26

Rishaug talking this morning that the Oilers are supposedly talking maybe a short term, less money deal with Nurse. If that is the case, maybe they have their number that they won't budge off of for a long term deal. I said it a few times, I don't know how the Nurse camp can expect more than Morrissey. There is just too many similarities between both players to justify anymore.

A short term deal while not ideal because it would take Nurse to UFA but it would save them some money and in 2 years, the cap is supposed to go up a lot and the Oilers would have a lot of their buyout money gone. Plus you'd have a long body of work for Nurse. If Nurse is what he is right now in a couple of seasons which is a pretty solid, big minute, top 4 dman who can do a little bit of everything but scores around 30-35 pts, you know what he is. I am sure Nurse wants more because he is guarding against him becoming a 50 pt guy which I don't see.

Saw MacKenzie suggest 2 years at something under 6M. Yikes. If we sign that, I think you seriously need to consider trading him very soon.

That would really surprise me. Always figured Nurse was loved to death by the org and it would come down from on high to get him signed long term. Maybe not. Or maybe full autonomy is actually a thing? :)

I am a fan of Nurse, I think he is very valuable to this team but that value comes at a price. I don't see how he can make anymore than Morrissey on a long term deal which I have stated. The Oilers can't afford to be giving out huge overpays on long term deals. If you can get him for Morrissey money on a long term deal, I think that is fair. The cap is going to go up. The comparison to Klefbom as a tiny bit of merit but at the same time, when Klefbom signed he had way, way less experience and wasn't even close to being established AND the cap was significantly lower than it is now. He signed his deal in 2015. I think it's a pipe dream of some who think 5 mill is fair on a long term deal. That is a 900k raise from when Klefbom signed 5 years ago. That's not realistic.

I think Nurse feels like he has more offense to give which is where his 8 mill starting point comes from. Personally I don't see it. I am sure he looks at the 41 he put up last year as a starting point and he will build off that. If he was a 50 pt guy every year, then sure, he probably deserves a contract close to 8.
He's not. He's a 30-35 pt guy. He's on pace for 35 pts this year. With Klefbom doing what he does which is 30-40. Then you factor in Bear who's a bit more offensive so chances are he will up his points a bit next year. Then you factor in Bouchard is coming who's purely offensive, the offensive opportunities for Nurse are not going to get any better. So if you sign him to a 2 yr deal and with all the younger, more offensive guys coming up which cements his role as more of a defensive shut down guy. He is on pace for 35 pts this year. With a defensive shut down guy role cemented in and even less offensive opportunity as he probably won't get any PP time, if he puts up another 30-35 pts next year, you have a history.

So you go to him after next season in the last year of his deal. The cap has gone up a bunch with the new TV deal for the States in place. You have the new expansion team there. You have cleared some bad money off the books. You should have a guys like Bouchard and Bear being your main right shot guys, McDavid and Leon, his 2 best buddies on the team will be cooking along. His team should be good, then you go to him and lock him up long term as the shut down guy he is and pay him accordingly.

I think he is likely done in Edmonton if both sides think a 2 year deal is OK. If he is hoping for more offensive numbers, that would mean he needs PP time, and I think the PP time is close to belonging to Bouchard. It's not gonna work out that well for Nurse. Then he starts thinking he needs to go to another team before he can get what he thinks he deserves.

My thought on Nurse has always been that the org wants him long term, so the idea he could be moved never seemed realistic. If that's not the case, I'm totally open to moving him for some forward help. I'm not that impressed still with his passing game, and the guy still loses focus a lot defensively. Great skater for sure, and he is able to get involved well enough during McDavid ice time to get decent ES point production, but I don't feel there is that much in his game that is irreplaceable. He is very heavily dependent on his D partner for puck moving. Thank goodness for Bear.

The teams that are going to overpay for a guy like Nurse in money and even opportunity are probably lousy teams.

So if the Oilers are a good team which they should be. They are a contender which they should be. They have Leon and McDavid dominating which they will be. Nurse will be a key member on the team both in the room and on the ice. You think he's going to leave his best buddies to go for the money right when they should be cooking with gas?

He's already made over 9 mill in career earnings. Let's say he signs a 2 yr deal at around 5 mill. So there is another 10 mill.
Then in 2 years, when he is 27 and still has 4-5 real good years left. You dangle 4-5 yrs at around 6 mill per in front of him, he's going to leave his buddies for a few mill more?

I suppose it could happen but if I am loving who I play with, my team is good and will be good for years to come and I have something like 40-50 mill in career earnings, I wouldn't leave. If it was his last contract then maybe. But he will be early 30's and unless he gets hurt, he will have another contract after.

If he's playing hardball now and demanding something like 8M long term (maybe his actual goal is something like 7.25M, still too high), I think that answers the question about his approach. Why would he not just sign 6M long term now if he would be willing to do 5mx2 now and 6M in 2 years?

I think after a 5Mx2 deal, he's back at 8M again at least. If he felt he was robbed of PP opportunity over those 2 years which suppressed his point totals he feels he was capable of, it makes the negotiation even harder leading up to him being a UFA. Not sure if the buddies thing is strong enough for the vast majority of players to be OK taking significantly less than you think you're worth. He'll still get to hang with all those guys in the summer and post-career.

That is what i'm thinking too, I think if he wants $8M and won't bug or wants a 2 year deal at $6M you don't do it and trade him. But make a hockey trade as in players that can play now, look at a team that has offense but needs defense. I would offer him the Morrissey deal and a tad bit more since it's 1 year later but wouldn't want it higher then that. I'm worried with the Kassian signing.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #753637 is a reply to message #753629 ]
Wed, 05 February 2020 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Wed, 05 February 2020 14:46

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 February 2020 14:26

That is what i'm thinking too, I think if he wants $8M and won't bug or wants a 2 year deal at $6M you don't do it and trade him. But make a hockey trade as in players that can play now, look at a team that has offense but needs defense. I would offer him the Morrissey deal and a tad bit more since it's 1 year later but wouldn't want it higher then that. I'm worried with the Kassian signing.

I'd sign him for 2 yrs in the low to mid 5's. You are going to know by the end of next season what he is, if he has the numbers to justify 8 and you will know his demands and if they changed. You then have the whole season to try to sign him. If in 2yrs he wants to leave his buddies and go sign for his 8 with whatever crap team that can actually afford and is stupid enough to give him that, thank him for his service then trade him. Then he can sign for his 8 with whatever crap team can afford him because most of the time the good teams are up against the cap. He can make his 8 while putting up 35 pts and his new team is losing games. He can watch the highlights of his 2 best buddies lighting up the league every night. Then every time he plays McDavid and Leon, he can go out for a drink after the Oilers kicked his teams ass and he can listen to how awesome it is in Edmonton being so dominant. If he thought it was tough being and Oiler when they were struggling, try doing it when you aren't playing with your 2 buddies and don't have McDavid and Leon on your team. It could get a lot worse.

If he wants to leave all that to chase a few extra mill, the let him do it. IN 2 yrs, the Oilers should have enough cover where they can afford to lose him.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 February 2020 15:08]

Re: Nurse's Future [message #753643 is a reply to message #753621 ]
Wed, 05 February 2020 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 February 2020 13:26

I guess the other question is, could/will Nurse actually be able to get 8M/yr on the open market in 2 years? Hard to say today, but unless he starts getting some PP time and racking up points, I'm not so sure he will. A rising cap may also play a part, and if that's the case, he may bank on that, and who knows maybe the Oilers can afford it.

Another factor is some of the other contracts coming up like Bear this summer, Nuge next summer. What's Nuge worth? He's not an elite offensive center, nor is he a high-end Selke type defensive/two-way center. He's really something in between. To me, the 6M he makes now is just about right for him. I could see a bump up just because he's been a good Oiler, and assuming he wants to stay, 4 years x 6.5M would be good. I'm sure the Nuge camp will be after much more, and if that's the case, we might be saying farewell to Nuge after next season.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Nurse's Future [message #753651 is a reply to message #753643 ]
Wed, 05 February 2020 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Wed, 05 February 2020 15:13

I guess the other question is, could/will Nurse actually be able to get 8M/yr on the open market in 2 years? Hard to say today, but unless he starts getting some PP time and racking up points, I'm not so sure he will. A rising cap may also play a part, and if that's the case, he may bank on that, and who knows maybe the Oilers can afford it.

Another factor is some of the other contracts coming up like Bear this summer, Nuge next summer. What's Nuge worth? He's not an elite offensive center, nor is he a high-end Selke type defensive/two-way center. He's really something in between. To me, the 6M he makes now is just about right for him. I could see a bump up just because he's been a good Oiler, and assuming he wants to stay, 4 years x 6.5M would be good. I'm sure the Nuge camp will be after much more, and if that's the case, we might be saying farewell to Nuge after next season.

I wouldn't be giving Nuge much more than what he makes right now. I like Nuge a lot but he's not a line driver. What this season and last season has proved is Nuge is a real good, complimentary, top 6 winger who can sub in at center for short periods of time and it won't kill you. But he's not a good enough top 6 center so you can't pay him like a center.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #753654 is a reply to message #753643 ]
Wed, 05 February 2020 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Wed, 05 February 2020 15:13

Yeah, I guess you can never discount the irresponsible GM factor that might overpay Nurse if there is a little bidding war, but if he puts up a couple more 30-35 point seasons in the next 2 years, it would be tough for him to get #1 money. Unless there is another big leap in his game.

I would definitely worry about Bear's coming contracts if he continues to do the majority of the outlet passing on a Bear/Nurse pair if Nurse lands a big payday from us. If Bear keeps developing, he might even be ahead of Nurse on the depth chart for PP time if there are injuries.

I really hope that Nuge is a guy that would want to stick around and try to finally have some highlights to his Oilers career. My hope with Nuge is around 7.5M on a 5-6 year deal.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Nurse's Future [message #754018 is a reply to message #753654 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Bob says 2 years at $5.5 million.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #754020 is a reply to message #754018 ]
Sun, 09 February 2020 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 09 February 2020 18:55

Bob says 2 years at $5.5 million.

A shade over 5.5

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790823 is a reply to message #742409 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

1 Cup

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1OgGfV9OmSHSWL8FPDU8QH?si=u 87vWWI8TIeOqkmJgkGkKg&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch =1

Skip to 10:30 for Oilers talk. Friedman is speculating that Nurse and Oilers are working on a deal that will land near 9M x 8 years.

Yowza. Double bridging Nurse is looking to be a disastrous move now. I still think 7M makes the most sense, but these recent signings around the league have screwed the Oilers. It's not like they can just replace him either in this market, so it's probably best to just eat the extra $2M.

I sure hope Friedman is wrong though.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790829 is a reply to message #790823 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

JPro wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 08:16

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1OgGfV9OmSHSWL8FPDU8QH?si=u 87vWWI8TIeOqkmJgkGkKg&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch =1

Skip to 10:30 for Oilers talk. Friedman is speculating that Nurse and Oilers are working on a deal that will land near 9M x 8 years.

Yowza. Double bridging Nurse is looking to be a disastrous move now. I still think 7M makes the most sense, but these recent signings around the league have screwed the Oilers. It's not like they can just replace him either in this market, so it's probably best to just eat the extra $2M.

I love Nurse, and he's dramatically improved his game. But 9M/year is a lot for a guy who likely doesn't have the defensive chops to ever win a Norris. And he's giving the Oilers precisely ZERO hometown discount, which, if he truly is part of the 97/29 core he should be willing to do.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790832 is a reply to message #790829 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I am fully expecting that many Oilers fans will lose their minds when Nurse signs because people ignore the market, ignore what he does and means to the teams and ignore just how good he is.

To date, he has taken less money and outperformed every contract and improved every single year. He's a Oilers developed guy. Being an Oiler is important to him. He's good friends with McD and Leon, scene as critical by the 2 elite guys, he's a leader, I think their 3rd best player. He's big, physical, mean tough, skates like the wind, can rush the puck, moves the puck reasonably well now. He has a good, accurate shot. He scores and virtually all of his goals and pts are 5 on 5 which is huge. He is real good on the PK, can play on your PP, can play a TON of minutes and is good defensively.

He is by far the #1 dman on the Oilers and in my opinion he would be the #1 dman on a most teams. He's does everything you want a #1 dman to do and in my opinion, if you don't think Nurse is a #1 dman, then you just flat out don't like the guy for whatever reason because the body of work and what he does and can do speaks for itself. If he goes to market, he will have 31 teams getting into a bidding war for him and if they lose him, they are screwed and in my opinion, that would be the straw that backs McD's and Leon's back for them to want out.

They need to sign him or they are screwed. For anyone saying 9 mill is too much, look at the market.
Jones - 9.5 mill
Werenski - 9.58
Hamilton - 9 mill

Pietrangelo last year got 8.8 mill. I wouldn't trade Nurse for him. So if they get him for anything less than 9, that is a hell of a deal.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790834 is a reply to message #790832 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

So then we hope and pray Holland gets a hell of a deal, right?

This is fine.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790835 is a reply to message #790834 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 11:39

So then we hope and pray Holland gets a hell of a deal, right?

Are we not allowed to argue that the Jones contract that started this run of crazy D contracts was partially paid for by us taking Keith's full 5.5M from Chicago?

That means Nurse should give us a discount, obviously.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790836 is a reply to message #790832 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 11:00

I am fully expecting that many Oilers fans will lose their minds when Nurse signs because people ignore the market, ignore what he does and means to the teams and ignore just how good he is.

To date, he has taken less money and outperformed every contract and improved every single year. He's a Oilers developed guy. Being an Oiler is important to him. He's good friends with McD and Leon, scene as critical by the 2 elite guys, he's a leader, I think their 3rd best player. He's big, physical, mean tough, skates like the wind, can rush the puck, moves the puck reasonably well now. He has a good, accurate shot. He scores and virtually all of his goals and pts are 5 on 5 which is huge. He is real good on the PK, can play on your PP, can play a TON of minutes and is good defensively.

He is by far the #1 dman on the Oilers and in my opinion he would be the #1 dman on a most teams. He's does everything you want a #1 dman to do and in my opinion, if you don't think Nurse is a #1 dman, then you just flat out don't like the guy for whatever reason because the body of work and what he does and can do speaks for itself. If he goes to market, he will have 31 teams getting into a bidding war for him and if they lose him, they are screwed and in my opinion, that would be the straw that backs McD's and Leon's back for them to want out.

They need to sign him or they are screwed. For anyone saying 9 mill is too much, look at the market.
Jones - 9.5 mill
Werenski - 9.58
Hamilton - 9 mill

Pietrangelo last year got 8.8 mill. I wouldn't trade Nurse for him. So if they get him for anything less than 9, that is a hell of a deal.

I think you absolutely don't rush this extension. the ceiling is set with guys like Makar and Hamilton getting paid what they did. If Nurse has another good year, maybe even improves again, and the money might make sense. If he falls off then you're in a better bargaining position.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790837 is a reply to message #790836 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 10:43

I think you absolutely don't rush this extension. the ceiling is set with guys like Makar and Hamilton getting paid what they did. If Nurse has another good year, maybe even improves again, and the money might make sense. If he falls off then you're in a better bargaining position.

100%. There is no need to sign this extension now. The likelihood of the cap hit going substantially higher than the $9M being rumored because Nurse has some kind of crazy season seems pretty unlikely.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790838 is a reply to message #790837 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 11:46

100%. There is no need to sign this extension now. The likelihood of the cap hit going substantially higher than the $9M being rumored because Nurse has some kind of crazy season seems pretty unlikely.

It'll be 10M if they announce a decent cap increase. If Barrie gets hurt too and Nurse gets more PP time... He could have easily lead all D in point this year if he got Barrie's PP time.

Thinking about comparable players too. I could see him having a better season on paper than more than 1 or 2 of these recent 9M+ contract players. Very likely he has a better year than Jones. Probably not Makar but can argue COlorado gets discounts. Hamilton and Werenski have to drown on bad teams. Still lots of ways holding off signing Nurse long term can backfire. And we all know we will definitely sign him long term no matter what.

Gotta go back and see what long term cap #'s I was arguing against giving him 3 years ago :) Probably around the 6M price point.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 August 2021 12:05]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790843 is a reply to message #790838 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 10:54

It'll be 10M if they announce a decent cap increase. If Barrie gets hurt too and Nurse gets more PP time... He could have easily lead all D in point this year if he got Barrie's PP time.

Thinking about comparable players too. I could see him having a better season on paper than more than 1 or 2 of these recent 9M+ contract players. Very likely he has a better year than Jones. Probably not Makar but can argue COlorado gets discounts. Hamilton and Werenski have to drown on bad teams. Still lots of ways holding off signing Nurse long term can backfire. And we all know we will definitely sign him long term no matter what.

Gotta go back and see what long term cap #'s I was arguing against giving him 3 years ago :) Probably around the 6M price point.

Ya, it's possible, I just think that Nurse had a lot go right for him last year:

- double his career average shooting % led to a career high in goals.
- played almost 60% of his 5x5 minutes with McDavid in a season where McDavid went supernova in terms of points. McDavid played the 2nd most EV strength minutes in the league. Given the improved depth at forward, one would hope the Oilers don't feel the need to play McDavid that much, but I'm probably fooling myself there.

Given how much Nurse plays 5x5 (and they're still going to need him to play a lot there given the other options on the left side) and on the PK, if Barrie gets hurt they might look at having Keith or even Bouchard take reps on 1PP before Nurse, so I'm not as concerned about that.

I realize I'm probably splitting hairs and they're going to pay Nurse $9M+ no matter what he does this season, so fine, sign him now pay him $9.5M and just get it over with.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790847 is a reply to message #790843 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 12:32

Ya, it's possible, I just think that Nurse had a lot go right for him last year:

- played almost 60% of his 5x5 minutes with McDavid in a season where McDavid went supernova in terms of points. McDavid played the 2nd most EV strength minutes in the league. Given the improved depth at forward, one would hope the Oilers don't feel the need to play McDavid that much, but I'm probably fooling myself there.

Given how much Nurse plays 5x5 (and they're still going to need him to play a lot there given the other options on the left side) and on the PK, if Barrie gets hurt they might look at having Keith or even Bouchard take reps on 1PP before Nurse, so I'm not as concerned about that.

I realize I'm probably splitting hairs and they're going to pay Nurse $9M+ no matter what he does this season, so fine, sign him now pay him $9.5M and just get it over with.

hehehe, your last comment is kinda where my mind is. I'm framing my view of this like the inevitable Keith deal. We're probably begging Nurse to sign 8 years instead of 4. It's inevitable that Tippett will keep on giving NUrse/Barrie every McDavid minute they can give them, and now maybe we have a useful 2nd line too, can try to get Nurse all good minutes! :)

I think Keith was pretty bad on the PP this last season, and we know how Tippett handles his rookie D. I could totally see Nurse ending up the go-to guy for more PP time. Tippett seems to have little regard for too much ice time too, probably sees PP time as rest time for his guys at this stage. Keith and Ceci can lighten the PK load.

If I knew 3 years ago that we would be loading up Nurse's 5v5 time like he has, I may have be more in favour of a long term deal. I think I figured Nurse would be treated more like a shutdown D 5v5. I guess Klef getting hurt really pushed things all the way over where Nurse was getting the prime offensive time every night.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790849 is a reply to message #790847 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 12:45

hehehe, your last comment is kinda where my mind is. I'm framing my view of this like the inevitable Keith deal. We're probably begging Nurse to sign 8 years instead of 4. It's inevitable that Tippett will keep on giving NUrse/Barrie every McDavid minute they can give them, and now maybe we have a useful 2nd line too, can try to get Nurse all good minutes! :)

I think Keith was pretty bad on the PP this last season, and we know how Tippett handles his rookie D. I could totally see Nurse ending up the go-to guy for more PP time. Tippett seems to have little regard for too much ice time too, probably sees PP time as rest time for his guys at this stage. Keith and Ceci can lighten the PK load.

If I knew 3 years ago that we would be loading up Nurse's 5v5 time like he has, I may have be more in favour of a long term deal. I think I figured Nurse would be treated more like a shutdown D 5v5. I guess Klef getting hurt really pushed things all the way over where Nurse was getting the prime offensive time every night.

Sure could use an extra $2.75million next season from a Keith cap retention.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790851 is a reply to message #790849 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 12:50

Hey, we asked. Bowman said it would cost extra!

Gotta remember, per Dreger and other media that gave us the unfiltered Bowman perspective, that it was Chicago doing US the favour here. They would have just kept Keith if we didn't pay up. All those rumors that they were trying to get Caleb Jones from us and were planning to make a big play for Seth Jones if they could free up cap space, none of that ended up being true. Was just Bowman helping us out, and you can't get help totally for free in this league.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790852 is a reply to message #790851 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 13:06

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 12:50

Hey, we asked. Bowman said it would cost extra!

Gotta remember, per Dreger and other media that gave us the unfiltered Bowman perspective, that it was Chicago doing US the favour here. They would have just kept Keith if we didn't pay up. All those rumors that they were trying to get Caleb Jones from us and were planning to make a big play for Seth Jones if they could free up cap space, none of that ended up being true. Was just Bowman helping us out, and you can't get help totally for free in this league.

I guess next time we do business with chicago we will have to lose the trade. only fair in this day and age.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790865 is a reply to message #790852 ]
Thu, 05 August 2021 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

"Hey, we asked. Bowman said it would cost extra!"

No, Holland said he didn't ask, because then the cost would be extra.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790866 is a reply to message #790865 ]
Thu, 05 August 2021 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Thu, 05 August 2021 11:04

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/holland-explains-why-they-took- on-all-of-keith-s-salary~2240280

6:40

says he talked multiple times with Stan about salary, and Stan said we would need to up the assets to retain. Finishes the comments with the famous can't squeeze people comment after he was just squeezed. Then about how he HAD to make a deal to try to do something to make the team better (before expansion, before the draft, before free agency, I guess we had to just jump on any opportunity with both feet). And then opens the mystery of what intangibles are worth, but seems pretty sure they are worth lots. Some pretty classic Holland there now that I listen again.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 August 2021 11:16]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790875 is a reply to message #790866 ]
Thu, 05 August 2021 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 05 August 2021 11:11

Dragon_Matt wrote on Thu, 05 August 2021 11:04

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/holland-explains-why-they-took- on-all-of-keith-s-salary~2240280

6:40

says he talked multiple times with Stan about salary, and Stan said we would need to up the assets to retain. Finishes the comments with the famous can't squeeze people comment after he was just squeezed. Then about how he HAD to make a deal to try to do something to make the team better (before expansion, before the draft, before free agency, I guess we had to just jump on any opportunity with both feet). And then opens the mystery of what intangibles are worth, but seems pretty sure they are worth lots. Some pretty classic Holland there now that I listen again.

I think I made a pretty good case for why I believe the timing was right on the Keith deal in hindsight.

Fwiw I’d rather have Keith at 5.5 than Werenski at 9.5 ....

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790845 is a reply to message #790836 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 11:43

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 11:00

Jones - 9.5 mill
Werenski - 9.58
Hamilton - 9 mill

Here's the problem. Nurse has yet to fall off. He's gotten better every single year so it's not likely he will get worse. I don't see him coasting when his 2 main boys, McD and Leon are killing it training wise and he trains with McD. So I don't see a drop off. His role on the team is not going to get less important, it will be more the better he gets. He had 16 goals in 56 games, that's a 23 goal pace. I don't think he will score 20 goals but I could easily see mid teens in 82 games and 50 pts. I don't think that's far off on top of being a PK guy and playing huge mins. If he does that, his price is going up. Plus I am not naive enough to believe tampering doesn't happen. So if Nurse is having another good year, I can totally see "unofficially' teams floating out ideas to his agent. They call about a player on their team that has the same agent as Nurse then in passing say "Oh man, that Nurse is another great year. I wish I had a Nurse type dman on my team. If a guy like that ever went to market, we'd offer max term and big money."

The longer they wait to sign him, the more it will cost. They probably could have signed him for long term 2 yrs ago at a 7 and some of the all knowing people in here lost their minds thinking how stupid that would have been. Too bad they didn't do that 2 years ago.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790855 is a reply to message #790829 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 08:27

I love Nurse, and he's dramatically improved his game. But 9M/year is a lot for a guy who likely doesn't have the defensive chops to ever win a Norris. And he's giving the Oilers precisely ZERO hometown discount, which, if he truly is part of the 97/29 core he should be willing to do.

First pairing NHL defencemen are at a premium. You don't need to be a Norris candidate to pull those numbers.

Anyone in the top 15/20 could get $8 million at minimum.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790856 is a reply to message #790855 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 21:45

First pairing NHL defencemen are at a premium. You don't need to be a Norris candidate to pull those numbers.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/cap-hit/defenseman/

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790857 is a reply to message #790856 ]
Wed, 04 August 2021 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 21:03

nullterm wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 21:45

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/cap-hit/defenseman/

Thats what I was looking at. And remember alot of those deals are a few years old now and would get alot more given a new contact today.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790860 is a reply to message #790857 ]
Thu, 05 August 2021 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Reports coming out that a Nurse deal will be announced fairly soon. That makes me happy.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790870 is a reply to message #790860 ]
Thu, 05 August 2021 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oiler76  is currently offline Oiler76

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 05 August 2021 07:12

Reports coming out that a Nurse deal will be announced fairly soon. That makes me happy.

Agreed, Nurse is entering his prime years as a defenseman. Like the Draisaitl contract has played out, this deal will be a bargain in 3-4 years.

" The Vancouver Canucks: Celebrating Second Round Losses for 50 years!"

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790874 is a reply to message #790870 ]
Thu, 05 August 2021 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oiler76 wrote on Thu, 05 August 2021 12:32

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 05 August 2021 07:12

Agreed, Nurse is entering his prime years as a defenseman. Like the Draisaitl contract has played out, this deal will be a bargain in 3-4 years.

Plus I do not think there is a chance in hell you can replace all of what he does for less than 9 on the market. We saw that. I thought what Jones got was ridiculous. I wouldn't pay that for him nor would I take him over Nurse. In trade, you aren't getting a Nurse replacement.

I think 31 teams would gladly give Nurse well over 9 mill on a max term deal. Even if the Oilers give him 8yrs, he will only be 35 when the deal is done.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790917 is a reply to message #742409 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Hearing also we are getting closer on the much-anticipated Darnell Nurse extension in EDM. Expected to come in around 8x$9.25M

So be it. Honestly, I bet 4 years would have been around 8.5M anyways. So, whatevs. Hope at least this makes it easier to extend McDrai cause their BFF is committed here long term beyond their current deals.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790918 is a reply to message #790917 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 11:10

Hearing also we are getting closer on the much-anticipated Darnell Nurse extension in EDM. Expected to come in around 8x$9.25M

So be it. Honestly, I bet 4 years would have been around 8.5M anyways. So, whatevs. Hope at least this makes it easier to extend McDrai cause their BFF is committed here long term beyond their current deals.

Same here, but looking at the cash being handed out, I'm not sure the Oilers will be a championship team this coming season or next in a flat cap era. The cap would have to go significantly up to ice a championship calibre team.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790919 is a reply to message #790917 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

No idea why this extension would happen now. There's zero benefit to the Oilers.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790920 is a reply to message #790919 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 11:13

No idea why this extension would happen now. There's zero benefit to the Oilers.

We love us some Nurse, and he's UFA at the end of this season. Was gonna get done this off-season. Nurse probably accelerated the timeline a bit by suggested he may want a 4 year deal.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790921 is a reply to message #790917 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

That is a high side market based contract as opposed to team friendly, imo. If Darnell plays up to this deal, it's good for the Oilers, because he will be in the top 5 D in the league conversation when that happens. I hope the level of play remains where it is at minimum, and this deal pays for upside, I think...which is there. This isnt a guy who has clearly peaked. I was really hoping the number would come in around $8.5 mil AAV. I guess we have to consider other D around the league in the same range and whether we would deal Nurse away for how many of those guys in a one for one deal, at least that's how I'm going to look at it. 2 seasons from now, the cap had better be on the move upward. confused2

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790922 is a reply to message #790921 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 06 August 2021 10:23

That is a high side market based contract as opposed to team friendly, imo. If Darnell plays up to this deal, it's good for the Oilers, because he will be in the top 5 D in the league conversation when that happens. I hope the level of play remains where it is at minimum, and this deal pays for upside, I think...which is there. This isnt a guy who has clearly peaked. I was really hoping the number would come in around $8.5 mil AAV. I guess we have to consider other D around the league in the same range and whether we would deal Nurse away for how many of those guys in a one for one deal, at least that's how I'm going to look at it. 2 seasons from now, the cap had better be on the move upward. confused2

I love me some Nurse, but hopefully he has another notch or two he can climb to live up to those numbers. If he has an off year or two, he's gonna get blasted for it.

Re: Nurse's Future [message #790925 is a reply to message #790922 ]
Fri, 06 August 2021 11:55 Go to previous message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

If jones is worth what he got paid I'm just glad this isn't a toronto special 11 mil a year contract

Formerly gagnerisgod.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Yamo Extension
Next Topic:Future NHL Cap Projections
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca