This day on July 5
Acquired: Scott Ferguson (2000) Allan Rourke (2007)
Departed: Georges Laraque (2006) Jaroslav Spacek (2006) Jan Hejda (2007)

Happy Birthday To: anm8r, shannon23, homeof99, DanW91

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves!Pages (13): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789565 is a reply to message #789563 ]
Mon, 19 July 2021 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 19 July 2021 14:52

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 19 July 2021 14:42

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 19 July 2021 08:30

nullterm wrote on Sun, 18 July 2021 23:13

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 18 July 2021 21:01

DFO Rundown’s latest episode tonight has some interesting tidbits;

Seravalli eludes to Kassian being protected bc there may be a trade post expansion

Has spoken to a 3 front offices and sounds like Seattle may be taking Jujhar, thinks Benson is a possibility tho

Larsson unlikely to resign... Real chance Barrie resigns

Do they actually mean out Jujhar? Are the Kraken scouts not seen his stats or injury history? I wish the guy all the best and hope his noggin gets back to healthy, but if I was in there shoes I'd take Bensen, or even Russell or roll the dice on Klefbom first.

I could easily see Khaira getting taken because they know for certain he fills a role. He's a 4th liner, with size, physicality, has a little toughness, skates decent for a big man, can play center or wing and is really good on the PK. Khaira can go to any NHL team and do exactly what I said. His concussions could make it an issue. Who knows.

I have said it many times in different threads, what is Benson? Anyone know? I don't think he's suited to be 3rd liner. If you look at Tampa's 3rd line that everyone raved about, can he do any of what they did? He's not physical at all. Coleman hit everything that moved. He's not fast or big. He's not a pest. Supposedly he started learning to do PK but I doubt any team puts him on their PK. He's not a shooter. He's not even a center. I look at who they could get for wingers and there are WAY better wingers available than an AHLer. So where would he play for Seattle? He's not even a player they could flip for anything.

I could also see Jujhar being excited to be in Seattle. Potential bigger role on a team an hour (and a border crossing) away from home.

When the Oilers do not have much to offer up, they may consider Khaira a plus as Seattle already has the most diversified management team. JJ can play in the league when he is healthy and motivated he looks very promising. Any player the Kraken take from Edmonton will have a question mark beside their name.

I agree that's why if it was me, I would want to take a guy who at least I know CAN play in the NHL.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789568 is a reply to message #789565 ]
Mon, 19 July 2021 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 19 July 2021 14:56

Seravalli eludes to Kassian being protected bc there may be a trade post expansion

Has spoken to a 3 front offices and sounds like Seattle may be taking Jujhar, thinks Benson is a possibility tho

Do they actually mean out Jujhar? Are the Kraken scouts not seen his stats or injury history? I wish the guy all the best and hope his noggin gets back to healthy, but if I was in there shoes I'd take Bensen, or even Russell or roll the dice on Klefbom first.

I could easily see Khaira getting taken because they know for certain he fills a role. He's a 4th liner, with size, physicality, has a little toughness, skates decent for a big man, can play center or wing and is really good on the PK. Khaira can go to any NHL team and do exactly what I said. His concussions could make it an issue. Who knows.

I have said it many times in different threads, what is Benson? Anyone know? I don't think he's suited to be 3rd liner. If you look at Tampa's 3rd line that everyone raved about, can he do any of what they did? He's not physical at all. Coleman hit everything that moved. He's not fast or big. He's not a pest. Supposedly he started learning to do PK but I doubt any team puts him on their PK. He's not a shooter. He's not even a center. I look at who they could get for wingers and there are WAY better wingers available than an AHLer. So where would he play for Seattle? He's not even a player they could flip for anything.

I could also see Jujhar being excited to be in Seattle. Potential bigger role on a team an hour (and a border crossing) away from home.

When the Oilers do not have much to offer up, they may consider Khaira a plus as Seattle already has the most diversified management team. JJ can play in the league when he is healthy and motivated he looks very promising. Any player the Kraken take from Edmonton will have a question mark beside their name.

I agree that's why if it was me, I would want to take a guy who at least I know CAN play in the NHL.

Dude, Ron Francis doesn't read Oilfans. You're not going to be able to talk him in to picking Khaira by talking him up here. Besides, if he were and he looked up your history of comments on that player, you've already blown it for us!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789569 is a reply to message #789565 ]
Mon, 19 July 2021 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Lots of those out there though of the 4th line variety. Loads of them. Not sure you need to feel like you have to use expansion draft picks on them. If the choice was between cost controlled good AHL prospects and a 4th liner that will come in many forms all summer as free agents, I probably take the prospect. Seattle may actually end up with more than enough 3rd line quality guys to pick from that will end up overflowing into a pretty good 4th line for them off the bat.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789571 is a reply to message #789569 ]
Mon, 19 July 2021 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 19 July 2021 15:22

Lots of those out there though of the 4th line variety. Loads of them. Not sure you need to feel like you have to use expansion draft picks on them. If the choice was between cost controlled good AHL prospects and a 4th liner that will come in many forms all summer as free agents, I probably take the prospect. Seattle may actually end up with more than enough 3rd line quality guys to pick from that will end up overflowing into a pretty good 4th line for them off the bat.

The Kraken's AHL team won't play till the 22-23 season. So any AHLer they pick has to be loaned to someone and you are at the mercy of that team playing them or not. If you think there are too many 3rd/4th liners, I take a dman and flip him.

People hate Russell here but he's a vet dman that will give you what he has, can play in a lot of teams 3rd pairing, plays both sides, making just over a mill. If he's a healthy scratch, his cap hit isn't killing you and he's an easy guy to get and asset for at the deadline when playoffs teams are always looking for cheap vets for playoff depth.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789572 is a reply to message #789571 ]
Mon, 19 July 2021 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 19 July 2021 15:30

The Kraken's AHL team won't play till the 22-23 season. So any AHLer they pick has to be loaned to someone and you are at the mercy of that team playing them or not. If you think there are too many 3rd/4th liners, I take a dman and flip him.

People hate Russell here but he's a vet dman that will give you what he has, can play in a lot of teams 3rd pairing, plays both sides, making just over a mill. If he's a healthy scratch, his cap hit isn't killing you and he's an easy guy to get and asset for at the deadline when playoffs teams are always looking for cheap vets for playoff depth.

Would be entertaining if they owned Benson and he kept playing for the Condors :)

Russell is tough, since Francis is an analytics guy. Russell probably is flashing red for him. Khaira is probably a no-go for the same reason, he's pretty bad aside from whatever miracle occurs when he's killing penalties. Kahun might be our most attractive guy in the end, aside from Benson.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 July 2021 15:35]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789573 is a reply to message #789572 ]
Mon, 19 July 2021 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 19 July 2021 15:33

Would be entertaining if they owned Benson and he kept playing for the Condors :)

Russell is tough, since Francis is an analytics guy. Russell probably is flashing red for him. Khaira is probably a no-go for the same reason, he's pretty bad aside from whatever miracle occurs when he's killing penalties. Kahun might be our most attractive guy in the end, aside from Benson.

If Benson gets picked then loaned to Bakersfield, they better be scratching him a lot. icon_lol

I mentioned Russell based on Francis's past of going after a lot of dman for the Canes and like I said, you could easily get an asset for him either now or at the deadline.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789575 is a reply to message #789573 ]
Mon, 19 July 2021 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 19 July 2021 15:41

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 19 July 2021 15:33

If Benson gets picked then loaned to Bakersfield, they better be scratching him a lot. icon_lol

I mentioned Russell based on Francis's past of going after a lot of dman for the Canes and like I said, you could easily get an asset for him either now or at the deadline.

The Kraken have a AHL team sharing deal this year with Florida Panthers and Charlotte Checkers.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789564 is a reply to message #789562 ]
Mon, 19 July 2021 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

In Khaira, you kind of know what you will get. He's a 4th liner that can bring a little size and physical play, do well at killing penalties and he as some versality as a center or winger. There isn't a lot of upside in Khaira but if put in the correct role like he did in Edmonton this past season, he can play in the NHL. With Benson there is a whole ton of unknown on where to play him in a line up or even if he can translate what he does well in the AHL to the NHL. 2 years from now, he could be in the NHL, he could still be in the AHL or he could be in Europe. No one knows.

I would think that if you are building at team from scratch, you'd want to have more certainties. Either if the player can play on your roster or you can flip him for an asset.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789594 is a reply to message #789564 ]
Tue, 20 July 2021 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

After looking at the Expansion protected list. I would be calling Seattle on James van Reimsdyk to get the top 6 LW we need. Why throw crazy money out for Hyman at reportly $6 x 7 yrs when you can get a guy who is better and bigger for 2 years of cost certainty.

My proposal:

Klefbom ($4.167M x 2yrs)
2023 2nd rd pick & 2021 6th rd pick
Benson
Kesselring

for van Reimsdyk ($7 M x 2yrs-no retention of $$$)

Not sure if Seattle wants to keep him or not, but I think he is a solid top 6 LWer who would fit nicely and has some speed and size, but not overly physical.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789595 is a reply to message #789594 ]
Tue, 20 July 2021 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jakey wrote on Tue, 20 July 2021 09:08

After looking at the Expansion protected list. I would be calling Seattle on James van Reimsdyk to get the top 6 LW we need. Why throw crazy money out for Hyman at reportly $6 x 7 yrs when you can get a guy who is better and bigger for 2 years of cost certainty.

My proposal:

Klefbom ($4.167M x 2yrs)
2023 2nd rd pick & 2021 6th rd pick
Benson
Kesselring

for van Reimsdyk ($7 M x 2yrs-no retention of $$$)

Not sure if Seattle wants to keep him or not, but I think he is a solid top 6 LWer who would fit nicely and has some speed and size, but not overly physical.

This is something any competent GM should be doing - looking at the list of players available, and then seeing if Seattle is willing to pick someone for them and then trade them over. Seattle gets 29 picks and not all of those can make their roster, so they are going to be open to the idea of selecting-and-swapping.

I'm not sure the above deal works because I don't think we clear enough cap in that one, but even so, it's a good thought. Sadly, I doubt the Oilers have spent any time on that. As far as Holland is concerned, all they need to do now is lose a player in the draft.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789596 is a reply to message #786407 ]
Tue, 20 July 2021 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Friedman suggesting Drury may want Hyman too. Please make it so. 10M for Hyman and Goodrow for 6 years :)

Meant to put in around the league thread, oops. But I guess has implications for us, since we are looking at Hyman. Save us Drury!

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789598 is a reply to message #789596 ]
Tue, 20 July 2021 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Another guy I would target from Seattle if they pick him is Kilhorn.

Killhorn ($4.45 x 2 yrs)

for

Klefbom ($4.167 x 2yrs)
Benson
2nd rd pick in 2023

That one seems a bit more realistic vs the one I put above previously for van Reimsdyk

They can then flip Klefbom to a cap tight team for cap relief for a future draft pick or decent prospect......Like Vegas, Tamps or Toronto.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789599 is a reply to message #789598 ]
Tue, 20 July 2021 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jakey wrote on Tue, 20 July 2021 09:51

Killhorn ($4.45 x 2 yrs)

for

Klefbom ($4.167 x 2yrs)
Benson
2nd rd pick in 2023

That one seems a bit more realistic vs the one I put above previously for van Reimsdyk

They can then flip Klefbom to a cap tight team for cap relief for a future draft pick or decent prospect......Like Vegas, Tamps or Toronto.

I'd be interested in that trade.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789600 is a reply to message #789599 ]
Tue, 20 July 2021 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm is currently online Oscargasm

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 20 July 2021 10:02

Killhorn ($4.45 x 2 yrs)

for

Klefbom ($4.167 x 2yrs)
Benson
2nd rd pick in 2023

Think Klef’s LTIR space is more valuable to us 🤷🏻‍♂️

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789601 is a reply to message #789600 ]
Tue, 20 July 2021 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 20 July 2021 10:03

Killhorn ($4.45 x 2 yrs)

for

Klefbom ($4.167 x 2yrs)
Benson
2nd rd pick in 2023

The Oilers need a left winger and sounds like they are wanting one that has the skill sets of Hyman. Killorn would be that guy. You'd have him for under 5 mill which is reasonable. His term is only 2 yrs so presumably if Holloway is ready for that spot, there is no one in his way AND it would take them out of Hyman which signing him for the term or dollars that is rumored is scary as hell.

Plus if Goodrow is going to come in at around 3.5 mill, a guy who's career high is 8 goals, that has to inflate anyone who produces more a lot.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 July 2021 10:37]

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789602 is a reply to message #789601 ]
Tue, 20 July 2021 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 20 July 2021 10:11

Killhorn ($4.45 x 2 yrs)

for

Klefbom ($4.167 x 2yrs)
Benson
2nd rd pick in 2023

The Oilers need a left winger and sounds like they are wanting one that has the skill sets of Hyman. Killorn would be that guy. You'd have him for under 5 mill which is reasonable. His term is only 2 yrs so presumably if Holloway is ready for that spot, there is no one in his way AND it would take them out of Hyman which signing him for the term or dollars that is rumored is scary as hell.

Plus if Goodrow is going to come in at around 3.5 mill, a guy who's career high is 8 goals, that has to inflate anyone who produces more a lot.

When we sign Hall, Klef’s LTIR will come in handy 😏

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789603 is a reply to message #789602 ]
Tue, 20 July 2021 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 20 July 2021 10:40

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 20 July 2021 10:11

Killhorn ($4.45 x 2 yrs)

for

Klefbom ($4.167 x 2yrs)
Benson
2nd rd pick in 2023

When we sign Hall, Klef’s LTIR will come in handy 😏

LTIR is tricky. My understanding is that you can spend that amount roughly doing 2 things....first you basically have to be literally right at the cap ceiling of $81.5M to get the full value. If you aren't then the amount you are away from the cap gets taken off the amount of the LTIR value you can spend when using it.....Second you have to wait until the 1st game on opening night to put him on LTIR to get the best bang for the buck on LTIR.

The only thing I haven't figured out is if he is still remaining on LTIR from last year (which he currently is) then does that make the 2 rules i spoke about null and void cuz he has already past those rules??? Maybe someone can answer that for me?

If that is the case then Klefbom on LTIR is good value for any team, but especially Seattle who can leverage it most by taking back salary + picks to trade to cap strapped teams. They could double dip while we would just single dip if you know what I mean.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789604 is a reply to message #789596 ]
Tue, 20 July 2021 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 20 July 2021 09:28

Friedman suggesting Drury may want Hyman too. Please make it so. 10M for Hyman and Goodrow for 6 years :)

Meant to put in around the league thread, oops. But I guess has implications for us, since we are looking at Hyman. Save us Drury!

There would be a certain delicious irony in seeing Drury go all out to sign a couple middling free agents to massive deals for the New York Rangers.

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-sign-free-agent-centers-gom ez-and-drury/c-326929

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789606 is a reply to message #789604 ]
Tue, 20 July 2021 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 20 July 2021 11:04

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 20 July 2021 09:28

There would be a certain delicious irony in seeing Drury go all out to sign a couple middling free agents to massive deals for the New York Rangers.

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-sign-free-agent-centers-gom ez-and-drury/c-326929

Seems like a downgraded version of that move. Only 2 cups between Goodrow (2) and Hyman (0). 3 cups between Drury (1) and Gomez (2). Goodrow makes sense then, Hyman, not so much.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789676 is a reply to message #786407 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Patrick Johnston @risingaction

Hearing Mike Smith is returning on a multi year deal to the Oilers

trying to hype the fans back up after losing Larsson!

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789677 is a reply to message #789676 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 09:10

It's all coming together. All these guys are going on LTIR and we are gonna make huge waves at the trade deadline.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789679 is a reply to message #789677 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 09:11

It's all coming together. All these guys are going on LTIR and we are gonna make huge waves at the trade deadline.

Of course, I can see the 2yr/$9 million numbers already.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789681 is a reply to message #789679 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 09:19

Can probably thank Larsson for freeing up that cap space!

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789684 is a reply to message #789681 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 09:23

Whew, well, at least might not be Chia-bad.

Chris Johnston @reporterchris
Expect a two-year deal in the $2M range.

Still obviously would rather, if we absolutely must sign him, we give a bit extra to keep it 1 year again.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789701 is a reply to message #789684 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 09:31

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 09:23

Whew, well, at least might not be Chia-bad.

Chris Johnston @reporterchris
Expect a two-year deal in the $2M range.

Still obviously would rather, if we absolutely must sign him, we give a bit extra to keep it 1 year again.

I'm a bit baffled why we give him the two-year deal. Did the team learn nothing from Gryba? It's nice that he and Keith can both move to the retirement home together when their deals expire though...unless we re-sign them both for another two years.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789688 is a reply to message #789676 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 08:10

Unbelievable. 2 years for a 39 year old. Two of his last three years he posted .902 and .898.

How do we keep getting GMs who don’t understand even the most basic of concepts such as age?

Clean house or bust

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789687 is a reply to message #786407 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Is it too late to rename this thread "Bad News Summer"?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789778 is a reply to message #786407 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gregor tweets that the Oilers are meeting with Hyman in Edmonton today...

BUCKLE UP BABY!

Add; Chris Johnston adds

With Zach Hyman in Edmonton visiting the #oilers today, as @JasonGregor reported, there remains a possibility of a sign-and-trade scenario with the #leafs that could get him a max eight-year term.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 July 2021 15:32]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789780 is a reply to message #789778 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 15:18

BUCKLE UP BABY!

https://media1.giphy.com/media/2w5fMcorvrUzw14LDZ/giphy.gif

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789782 is a reply to message #789778 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 18:18

BUCKLE UP BABY!

Add; Chris Johnston adds

With Zach Hyman in Edmonton visiting the #oilers today, as @JasonGregor reported, there remains a possibility of a sign-and-trade scenario with the #leafs that could get him a max eight-year term.

Ugh, I'm getting the same feeling from this as I had about the Keith one.
It's inevitably going to happen and it is going to cost us way too much, limiting our ability to fill other holes in the roster.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789786 is a reply to message #789778 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

BUCKLE UP BABY!

Add; Chris Johnston adds

Man, there's still a chance to get Kenny to his cabin before the end of August. Trade for and sign Hyman to $6MMx8, sign Barrie to $6MMx6, trade Bear for DeBrusk (as per the Spector article today that suggests you can't have Barrie & Bear). Buy out a couple guys to free up the money - Neal and Koskinen, step right up! Patch hole on defence by signing Gudbranson - $2MMx2 maybe. Sign Smith to $2MMx2 and another low-end free agent goalie to a $1MMx1 deal, call it a day.

Whole thing could be done by the second day of free agency. That leaves us with:

Hyman McDavid Puljujarvi
Nugent-Hopkins Draisaitl Yamamoto
DeBrusk McLeod Archibald
Shore Khaira Kassian
Benson SomeDude

Nurse Barrie
Keith Gudbranson
Russell Bouchard
Lagesson

Smith
JustAGuy

I dunno guys - that doesn't give me a lot of faith...

[Updated on: Wed, 21 July 2021 17:46]

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789787 is a reply to message #789786 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 17:32

BUCKLE UP BABY!

Add; Chris Johnston adds

Man, there's still a chance to get Kenny to his cabin before the end of August. Trade for and sign Hyman to $6MMx8, sign Barrie to $6MMx6, trade Bear for DeBrusk (as per the Spector article today that suggests you can't have Barrie & Bear). Buy out a couple guys to free up the money - Neal and Koskinen, step right up! Patch hole on defence by signing Gudbranson - $2MMx2 maybe. Sign Smith to $2MMx2 and another low-end free agent goalie to a $1MMx1 deal, call it a day.

Whole thing could be done by the second day of free agency. That leaves us with:

Hyman McDavid Paajarvi
DeBrusk McLeod Archibald
Shore Khaira Kassian
Benson SomeDude

Nurse Barrie
Keith Gudbranson
Russell Bouchard
Lagesson

Smith
JustAGuy

IF Gudbranson believes in what we're building here he'll want three years.

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789789 is a reply to message #789786 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

BUCKLE UP BABY!

Add; Chris Johnston adds

Hyman McDavid Paajarvi
DeBrusk McLeod Archibald
Shore Khaira Kassian
Benson SomeDude

Nurse Barrie
Keith Gudbranson
Russell Bouchard
Lagesson

Smith
JustAGuy

Why can't you have Barrie and Bear? Different players IMO. Or is he only talking about height? It's Bouchard who will have all his opportunity limited if we sign Barrie again. And the second Barrie loses that #1PP spot we will regret his contract.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789797 is a reply to message #789789 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 17:37

Why can't you have Barrie and Bear? Different players IMO. Or is he only talking about height? It's Bouchard who will have all his opportunity limited if we sign Barrie again. And the second Barrie loses that #1PP spot we will regret his contract.

I think his point was that he didn't think any of these guys should penalty kill or defend a lead, so they'll need some hard-nosed low points guy and they'll need to trade Bear as a result...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/larsson-departure-leave s-oilers-questioning-proceed-defence/

Quote:

Holland will look harder at right-shot Tyson Barrie now, a UFA, but a right side of Barrie, Ethan Bear and young Evan Bouchard are insufficient. They need a defender like Larsson — a player you put out there to protect a 3-2 lead late in a game.

So, in our eyes, a Barrie signing almost assures a Bear trade.

Either way, the hole left by Larsson can not be filled by an offensive-minded defenceman. Bouchard is too young and inexperienced to project into that role, and Bear simply is not that player. He can be a more staunch defender than Barrie, perhaps, but at five-foot-11 he’ll never play the commanding, physical style the six-foot-three Larsson does.

Spector also muses about whether he has some issues with the way the team is trending before deciding that maybe he'd prefer to be in a different city, especially if he can't play with Oscar Klefbom (because they're both Swedes you see, and people only want to play with their own countrymen!)

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789798 is a reply to message #789797 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 17:50

I think his point was that he didn't think any of these guys should penalty kill or defend a lead, so they'll need some hard-nosed low points guy and they'll need to trade Bear as a result...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/larsson-departure-leave s-oilers-questioning-proceed-defence/

Quote:

Holland will look harder at right-shot Tyson Barrie now, a UFA, but a right side of Barrie, Ethan Bear and young Evan Bouchard are insufficient. They need a defender like Larsson — a player you put out there to protect a 3-2 lead late in a game.

Either way, the hole left by Larsson can not be filled by an offensive-minded defenceman. Bouchard is too young and inexperienced to project into that role, and Bear simply is not that player. He can be a more staunch defender than Barrie, perhaps, but at five-foot-11 he’ll never play the commanding, physical style the six-foot-three Larsson does.

Spector also muses about whether he has some issues with the way the team is trending before deciding that maybe he'd prefer to be in a different city, especially if he can't play with Oscar Klefbom (because they're both Swedes you see, and people only want to play with their own countrymen!)

That's funny, because Bear has the best expected GF% of our D over the last 2 years when we had a lead. He's also good on the PK GA/60, tied with defensive god Russell. Larsson was better, but Bear still passable. Better results than Keith the last couple years who we seem to think will be a rock for us (he won't be).

Bear is really caught up in that space of recent mistakes fully defining him. Hope he has a good start next season.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 July 2021 17:58]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789799 is a reply to message #789798 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 17:55

Quote:

That's funny, because Bear has the best expected GF% of our D over the last 2 years when we had a lead. He's also good on the PK GA/60, tied with defensive god Russell. Larsson was better, but Bear still passable. Better results than Keith the last couple years who we seem to think will be a rock for us (he won't be). I'd argue way more that you can't have both Nurse and Keith on your team (guys that really need high quality forward help pushing the pace to look good defensively) before I would argue you can't have Barrie and Bear.

Unfortunately, those are stats that Mark Spector (and by extension Oilers management) don't have access to. You can see clearly what Bear's height is though, and if you're sub-6' you can't be tough in this league or good defensively.

Bear was also on the ice for a key goal against in the playoffs, and if you were victimized for an important goal, that decides your defensive worth...not what happened most of the time when you were out there and a big, visible play didn't happen.

Also, if you're above 6' and don't rattle the boards at least 3 times a game, you're soft. It will only be a year or two before Spec starts using adjectives like that on Bouchard...

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789800 is a reply to message #789799 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 17:59

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 17:55

Quote:

That's funny, because Bear has the best expected GF% of our D over the last 2 years when we had a lead. He's also good on the PK GA/60, tied with defensive god Russell. Larsson was better, but Bear still passable. Better results than Keith the last couple years who we seem to think will be a rock for us (he won't be). I'd argue way more that you can't have both Nurse and Keith on your team (guys that really need high quality forward help pushing the pace to look good defensively) before I would argue you can't have Barrie and Bear.

Unfortunately, those are stats that Mark Spector (and by extension Oilers management) don't have access to. You can see clearly what Bear's height is though, and if you're sub-6' you can't be tough in this league or good defensively.

Also, if you're above 6' and don't rattle the boards at least 3 times a game, you're soft. It will only be a year or two before Spec starts using adjectives like that on Bouchard...

Yeah, Bouch is going to get eaten up. He badly needs offensive opportunity to take the focus off the defensive errors he will inevitably be making. Basically what Barrie gets the benefit of. If Bouch is on the 3rd pair and expected to just grind away with barely any PP time, it's going to be really hard for him to win over the Spectors of the world.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789794 is a reply to message #789786 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 20:32

BUCKLE UP BABY!

Add; Chris Johnston adds

Hyman McDavid Paajarvi
DeBrusk McLeod Archibald
Shore Khaira Kassian
Benson SomeDude

Nurse Barrie
Keith Gudbranson
Russell Bouchard
Lagesson

Smith
JustAGuy

We're getting Magnus back? icon_biggrin

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789795 is a reply to message #789794 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 17:46

Adam wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 20:32

BUCKLE UP BABY!

Add; Chris Johnston adds

Hyman McDavid Paajarvi
DeBrusk McLeod Archibald
Shore Khaira Kassian
Benson SomeDude

Nurse Barrie
Keith Gudbranson
Russell Bouchard
Lagesson

Smith
JustAGuy

We're getting Magnus back? icon_biggrin

Oops! Fixed above.

"The trade is one for one..."

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789805 is a reply to message #789786 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

Hyman McDavid Puljujarvi
DeBrusk McLeod Archibald
Shore Khaira Kassian
Benson SomeDude

Nurse Barrie
Keith Gudbranson
Russell Bouchard
Lagesson

Smith
JustAGuy

Get a 3C and I can live with that offence. The defence is yikes. Really, really yikes.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Hot Oil Summer - Predict our moves! [message #789837 is a reply to message #789805 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 18:42

Hyman McDavid Puljujarvi
DeBrusk McLeod Archibald
Shore Khaira Kassian
Benson SomeDude

Nurse Barrie
Keith Gudbranson
Russell Bouchard
Lagesson

Smith
JustAGuy

Get a 3C and I can live with that offence. The defence is yikes. Really, really yikes.

Yep - and the goaltending is a nightmare.

It's very Oilers to patch one hole by blowing massive holes in another spot though...

I do think it's pretty questionable after having the worst bottom six in decades to then bring back 4 or more of them...some rumours the Oilers are exploring bringing back Chiasson too...

Pages (13): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Future NHL Cap Projections
Next Topic:Oilers and Tyson Barrie Closing in on Deal
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca