This day on November 29
None

Happy Birthday To: Lew19, Houndtown, aheadby1, rwilford, Lucky Luc 20, onintwo, Gimmetrades

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Hall vs NugePages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #787961 is a reply to message #787855 ]
Thu, 17 June 2021 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Came for the debate, stayed for the RDO meltdown.

Hall first, Nuge second.

Get them both for 10-11M combined, 4 year terms and I’d be a happy guy.

Holloway might one day be the guy to officially take over the #1LW, but wouldn’t it be nice to have a depth 3rd line with him and McLeod flying around the ice.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #787964 is a reply to message #787961 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 01:21

Hall first, Nuge second.

Holloway might one day be the guy to officially take over the #1LW, but wouldn’t it be nice to have a depth 3rd line with him and McLeod flying around the ice.

I like it. Do it up Ken!

Absolute needs this year (assuming we keep the useful pieces from last year. e.g. RNH):

1) Top line winger
2) Goalie
3) A 3rd line

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #787965 is a reply to message #787964 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 06:03

Hall first, Nuge second.

I like it. Do it up Ken!

Absolute needs this year (assuming we keep the useful pieces from last year. e.g. RNH):

1) Top line winger
2) Goalie
3) A 3rd line

A legit faceoff winning, 3rd line center is pretty high on my priority list.

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #787995 is a reply to message #787964 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Hall first, Nuge second.

I like it. Do it up Ken!

1) Top line winger
2) Goalie
3) A 3rd line

1) Hyman
2) Mike Smith
3) Holloway/Benson/McLeod

Wow, this summer is gonna be easier than I thought.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #787997 is a reply to message #787995 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I kind of have the feeling at least in here, that if the Oilers do not sign Hall, the offseason will be seen as an epic fail.

Anyone give any kind of thought to Hall maybe having no desire to play in Edmonton? I have heard lots of guys say that have always wanted to play in a Canada market when they sign. Well he did that for 6 year so maybe he is very content to play in an American market where in all likelihood he won't be as big of a name. Even in Boston, I would say the Bruins are probably behind the Patriots, Red Sox and probably the Celtics.

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #787999 is a reply to message #787997 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 15:00

I kind of have the feeling at least in here, that if the Oilers do not sign Hall, the offseason will be seen as an epic fail.

Anyone give any kind of thought to Hall maybe having no desire to play in Edmonton? I have heard lots of guys say that have always wanted to play in a Canada market when they sign. Well he did that for 6 year so maybe he is very content to play in an American market where in all likelihood he won't be as big of a name. Even in Boston, I would say the Bruins are probably behind the Patriots, Red Sox and probably the Celtics.

That narrative is sort of implied by the team. We've heard about how much cap room we are going to have and how we can make some noise in free agency. If you look at the list, that basically means grabbing Hall. Landeskog would would a decent win as well but I see it as highly unlikely. Hyman has benefitted from playing with offensive stars, which he would in Edmonton as well, but he'll be paid WAY more.

Hall is the single UFA who would be considered a smash hit. Unless someone can name another?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #788002 is a reply to message #787999 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 15:54

Hall is the single UFA who would be considered a smash hit. Unless someone can name another?

Good question.

I am of kind of wondering if it would be a lot better if instead of blowing a big chunk of their wad on a high end guy that everyone talks about and gets more than he probably should, if they would be better off getting 2 good left wingers and a good 3rd line center.

So let's say you have allocated 12-12.5 mill to get 2 top 6 left wingers and a 3rd line center. So you could go spend 6.5-6.75 mill on Hall, then 3.5 on another left winger and only have 2 mill left for a 3rd line center. Which gets you the Turris's of the NHL as a 3rd line center
OR
You go get a Toffoli type signing X2. So you are spending 8-8.5 on 2 guys and then have around 4 mill to get yourself a really good 3rd line center.

So you aren't getting that star left winger that Hall might be but you get 2 decent top 6 guys who are consistent 20 goal guys on other teams but teamed with McD and Leon, maybe you get 5-10 more goals just because McD and Leon do things most can't. Then maybe you can get yourself a Danualt or a similar guy as your 3rd line center that might cost you 3.5-4.5 mill. But you know for certain he will produce at a good 3rd line center level, be able to be on your PK, probably get some second unit PP on the Oilers, win you some key faceoffs and handle some tough match ups instead of only having 2 mill or less and hoping the Khaira's or Turris's of the NHL can elevate and be a 3rd line center when they can't.

I have said many a time, the Oilers need to exploit the fact they have McD and Leon on their team who are so good they can elevate guys. What they have been doing is going too far. So putting the Rattie's or even Kahun on their wings, guys who are 4th liners or tweeners and wanting McD and Leon to elevate them. What they should do is go get yourself a couple of legit #6 or 7 forwards on most teams and have McD and Leon elevate them. Like what the Pens did for years with Crosby. The Sherry's and Rust's. Guys who on most teams are 6, 7, 8 forward but with an elite guy all of a sudden are top 6 guys. So you are getting 6+ mill production from guys making at the most 2/3 of that then use the extra money to bolster other areas.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 June 2021 16:26]

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #788009 is a reply to message #787999 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

OV is a pipe dream but would be a heck of an add for a couple years.

Landeskog is also not likely to hit the market but he would be an A+ add. I think he is exactly what the team needs.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #788017 is a reply to message #788009 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 18:48

OV is a pipe dream but would be a heck of an add for a couple years.

Landeskog is also not likely to hit the market but he would be an A+ add. I think he is exactly what the team needs.

Offer Ovi $12 million on a one year deal.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #788000 is a reply to message #787997 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Meh. Hall and RNH have worn out their welcome in Edmonton. Holloway and Tyler Benson are capable of being in the top 6. (see Caufield, Cole).

Better to invest in a goalie and/or a right shot centre that can take face offs and win them.

I know Tippett is reluctant to put much confidence in young players and has the over-ripening process on young players going full blast (Evan Bouchard). But Tippett is coming into the last season of his contract. He can't afford another season of messing up in the playoffs and has to replace the creaky old guys with enthusiastic and skilled youngsters who are hungry for the chance.

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #788012 is a reply to message #787997 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

I don't know, there some who want him, some who don't. I don't see Hall as the lock as the savior. Hope he does well if he becomes an Oiler again though, hope he lights it up is that's the case.

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #788010 is a reply to message #787995 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 14:37

Hall first, Nuge second.

I like it. Do it up Ken!

1) Top line winger
2) Goalie
3) A 3rd line

1) Hyman
2) Mike Smith
3) Holloway/Benson/McLeod

Wow, this summer is gonna be easier than I thought.

Just wait until they announce they were in on Hyman but were outbid. Then with pride announce a 4th line center as a key acquisition because he is good on faceoffs and the PK.

I dont need a home run like Hall but if we get the same song and dance as most years it will be a bust.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #788023 is a reply to message #788010 ]
Sat, 19 June 2021 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

The closer we get to FA the more and more I feel PTSD from thr Lucic signing. Hyman will be this years lucic for some team. I just hope it's not the oilers.

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #788046 is a reply to message #788023 ]
Sun, 20 June 2021 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sat, 19 June 2021 04:22

The closer we get to FA the more and more I feel PTSD from thr Lucic signing. Hyman will be this years lucic for some team. I just hope it's not the oilers.

Ya, Hyman was originally a guy that I thought the Oilers should target, but some of the numbers that I've been hearing that he might get makes me think that less and less.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #788026 is a reply to message #787855 ]
Sat, 19 June 2021 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Why not both? If you can retain Nuge for 5.25 over 6 years and bring in Hall for 6 over 4 years, why not?

Oh right, bc were cash strapped having to extend nurse next summer 🙄 the narrative is already out there for why they don’t spend the money they have this season. Nurse, JP, Bear all need new deals end of next season.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #788052 is a reply to message #788026 ]
Sun, 20 June 2021 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 19 June 2021 10:59

Why not both? If you can retain Nuge for 5.25 over 6 years and bring in Hall for 6 over 4 years, why not?

Oh right, bc were cash strapped having to extend nurse next summer 🙄 the narrative is already out there for why they don’t spend the money they have this season. Nurse, JP, Bear all need new deals end of next season.

I don’t buy the cash strapped narrative for Nurse. He’s getting a 1.5-2M raise. That’s a Holland depth signing that eats popcorn that doesn’t need to be signed for 21/22. After next season, Sekera’s 1.5M and Turris’ 1.65M are off the books forever.

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #788054 is a reply to message #788052 ]
Sun, 20 June 2021 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 20 June 2021 10:43

I don’t buy the cash strapped narrative for Nurse. He’s getting a 1.5-2M raise. That’s a Holland depth signing that eats popcorn that doesn’t need to be signed for 21/22. After next season, Sekera’s 1.5M and Turris’ 1.65M are off the books forever.

And those two’s money off the books slides to nurse. It’s easy. The money is already there.

I don’t buy the whole thing either but they’ve already put it out there.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #788056 is a reply to message #788054 ]
Sun, 20 June 2021 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 20 June 2021 13:19

And those two’s money off the books slides to nurse. It’s easy. The money is already there.

Bold of you to assume some or all of that money isn’t earmarked for other bad signings/buyouts.

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #788057 is a reply to message #788056 ]
Sun, 20 June 2021 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 20 June 2021 14:39

Bold of you to assume some or all of that money isn’t earmarked for other bad signings/buyouts.

Fair enough. We have had a horrible history of bad signings and buyouts, but I am cautiously optimistic. The tempered response to spending is my preference opposed to BOLD moves.

At the end of the day the proof is in the pudding. Holland has been a mixed bag so far, with no home runs and swing and miss on hanging curve ball (he blew the Kassian deal). I’ll take an Ichiro approach opposed to Rob Deer. Some might have to google this, but I like incremental building opposed to big hacks and misses.

This is Kenny’s big off-season. Stars are peaking. Flat cap has some good players being made available. We have some trading chips and cash. If not for our history, we should be very optimistic about this off-season.

Re: Hall vs Nuge [message #788149 is a reply to message #788057 ]
Wed, 23 June 2021 08:36 Go to previous message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 20 June 2021 15:28

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 20 June 2021 14:39

Fair enough. We have had a horrible history of bad signings and buyouts, but I am cautiously optimistic. The tempered response to spending is my preference opposed to BOLD moves.

At the end of the day the proof is in the pudding. Holland has been a mixed bag so far, with no home runs and swing and miss on hanging curve ball (he blew the Kassian deal). I’ll take an Ichiro approach opposed to Rob Deer. Some might have to google this, but I like incremental building opposed to big hacks and misses.

This is Kenny’s big off-season. Stars are peaking. Flat cap has some good players being made available. We have some trading chips and cash. If not for our history, we should be very optimistic about this off-season.

Even with history against us, there’s reason to be (cautiously) optimistic about this offseason. It all starts with them announcing the pylons won’t be the regular home jersey. As much as players care about money, term and location, they care about the kit they wear.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:RNH Contract Extension Making Progress
Next Topic:When do we start to panic?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca