This day on April 28
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilerfan in Tulsa, rrathel716

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4)Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786497 is a reply to message #786494 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 22:56

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 22:49

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 22:41

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 22:37

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 21:03

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 20:34

nullterm wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 17:26

Whether you keep Tippett or not should be based on where you think the team is next season. He's a good development coach, but clearly not a playoff coach. If we're contending then we need a new coach. But with all the free agent madness looming, I would guess we might have another development year unless we land a bunch of veteran players to fill the gaps Nuge, Barrie, etc are opening up.

Ugh, please stop using the term "development year", as it still reminds me far too much about MacT's last presser as GM before his canning. I've come to associate that term with, "another year that we piss away waiting for talent to come along".

If I’m McDavid and Holla d suggests next year isn’t a going for broke year? I’m asking for a trade. Two of the top five players in the league in the prime of their careers? There should never be a year they aren’t swinging for the fences and the stupid crutch of being up against the cap and screwed by Chiarelli (as if he was the only voice in the room) is finally gone. I pray Holland doesn’t drop the ball here because if next year is another disaster, McDavid is gone and all hope is lost.

I personally don't see McDavid or Drai leaving until their deals are done. To me they seem like guys that will be beating themselves up most of all with every failed year. Which is kinda sad.

All good though, they will have lots of years left once they agree to part ways with the Oilers to try something new if we keep failing.

I’m imagining Connor with a 40, Jim Lahey style, saying 5 more years Leon, 5 more sexy years.

lol. Yeah, they would probably be thankful that there was an 8 year term limit for their generation. If we still don't have a deep team in 3-4 years that is only losing because of some bad luck or injuries, I think it's gonna be clear that parting ways will be the best option for all parties. Oilers can stop being a generational joke, clearly it's never gonna happen at that point, and McDrai can pick their spots and try to hit the reset button.

I mean, there’s got to be a point in time when Connor becomes jealous of Leon for his contract expiring one year sooner. That may cause a rift in their friendship.

I think the good news for McDavid there might be that he is way more valuable to trade with 1 year left on his deal than at the deadline. So probably could just go that same summer :)

Ugh...Adam sparked another conversation of extreme negativity

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786498 is a reply to message #786497 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 23:19

Whether you keep Tippett or not should be based on where you think the team is next season. He's a good development coach, but clearly not a playoff coach. If we're contending then we need a new coach. But with all the free agent madness looming, I would guess we might have another development year unless we land a bunch of veteran players to fill the gaps Nuge, Barrie, etc are opening up.

Ugh, please stop using the term "development year", as it still reminds me far too much about MacT's last presser as GM before his canning. I've come to associate that term with, "another year that we piss away waiting for talent to come along".

If I’m McDavid and Holla d suggests next year isn’t a going for broke year? I’m asking for a trade. Two of the top five players in the league in the prime of their careers? There should never be a year they aren’t swinging for the fences and the stupid crutch of being up against the cap and screwed by Chiarelli (as if he was the only voice in the room) is finally gone. I pray Holland doesn’t drop the ball here because if next year is another disaster, McDavid is gone and all hope is lost.

I personally don't see McDavid or Drai leaving until their deals are done. To me they seem like guys that will be beating themselves up most of all with every failed year. Which is kinda sad.

All good though, they will have lots of years left once they agree to part ways with the Oilers to try something new if we keep failing.

I’m imagining Connor with a 40, Jim Lahey style, saying 5 more years Leon, 5 more sexy years.

lol. Yeah, they would probably be thankful that there was an 8 year term limit for their generation. If we still don't have a deep team in 3-4 years that is only losing because of some bad luck or injuries, I think it's gonna be clear that parting ways will be the best option for all parties. Oilers can stop being a generational joke, clearly it's never gonna happen at that point, and McDrai can pick their spots and try to hit the reset button.

I mean, there’s got to be a point in time when Connor becomes jealous of Leon for his contract expiring one year sooner. That may cause a rift in their friendship.

I think the good news for McDavid there might be that he is way more valuable to trade with 1 year left on his deal than at the deadline. So probably could just go that same summer :)

It’s hypothetical negativity.

We both know Leon and Connor are signing extensions before their current deals expire. This ship is turning this offseason!!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786499 is a reply to message #786498 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 23:21

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 23:19

It’s hypothetical negativity.

We both know Leon and Connor are signing extensions before their current deals expire. This ship is turning this offseason!!

https://media.tenor.com/images/d578a137577c8e572c964ff09ed55b63/tenor.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786450 is a reply to message #786447 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 14:48

Great find.

I do think Fenwick in this series is telling a story. We got more shots directed to the net, no doubt, but Winnipeg got sticks and limbs in front of so much. That was their game plan and they executed it pretty well.

Game-----------1-------2-------3-----4
Oilers CF% 63.92 53.04 49.21 56.36
Oilers FF% 62.50 51.22 53.19 51.46

When we consider Fenwick, Game 1 we dominated as expected. Game 2 and 4 become a lot closer to coin flips.

It's surprising to me that in Game 3 we lost the Corsi battle at all.

I wish they also had high danger Fenwick as opposed to Corsi. Just felt like Hellebuyck didn't have to be as good as Smith, although his positioning was impeccable. He was making saves look easy.

Boy this sure looks like Tippett screwed up bad putting Draisaitl with McDavid for the rest of the series. Pretty clear domination in the one game we had 2 lines.

Worth remembering, there's probably some score effects in Game 3 with us on a big league. You'll recall, Tippett was comfortable enough with that lead that he gave his 4th line 30 seconds of powerplay time at the end of one man advantage.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786418 is a reply to message #786326 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Sigh...

People.. I agree with a lot written here.. Hollands prints are all over the bottom six. Every year you have Connor McDavid on the roster is year you try to go for it and to come out in the media and say every year you can't simply decide to go for it every year I feel draws a distinct tone in the lockerroom.

The Oilers had holes, but I do agree, in actuality this wasn't the year to "go for it". To many holes in the bottom 6, our defensive core was okay but you aren't going to win with guys like Russell, Koekkoek, and a small part Bear (but he is developing) Jones. You have 3 serviceable D Nurse, Barrie and Larsson (who arguably had a banner year for the team)

You just can't win when your two best players are also your two only scoring players. Nuge has been ghastly during the playoffs and while I think he's the best back checker in the league maybe paying his 1st line pay isn't necessarily deserved.

I had hoped for one or two games, now there has been 7 post season games have lost on all of them. 3 of the play in and 4 in the year's post season.

I still got time for Tip, but I would hope he changes his strategy a bit more in the playoffs. He's an excellent regular season coach but a poor performer in the playoffs.

McDavid was irate with JP yesterday and the poor guy didn't understand the issue because of the language barrier I think but that send JP down the the 4th where he stayed but he did get shots on the PP and line one from time to time.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786421 is a reply to message #786326 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hey, feelgood stuff

zach laing @zjlaing
after playing over 60 minutes last night, darnell nurse and his fiancé mikayla welcomed their first child, a boy named aiden, into the world.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2QQtNyVUAQ3f59?format=jpg&name=900x900

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786423 is a reply to message #786421 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

WOW. He must have literally left the dressing room and went straight to the hospital in Toronto.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786424 is a reply to message #786423 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 13:30

WOW. He must have literally left the dressing room and went straight to the hospital in Toronto.

Wonder if there was a joke to be had there about how he can relate to what she went through because of his ice time and all the battle in the game last night.

Probably not.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786425 is a reply to message #786424 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 13:36

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 13:30

Wonder if there was a joke to be had there about how he can relate to what she went through because of his ice time and all the battle in the game last night.

Probably not.

Not one he can tell right now, that's for certain.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786452 is a reply to message #786326 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

In case anyone wants to stew about refs more. From TheAthletic:

Quote:

Anyone who watched even just one period of the series knows how ridiculous that is. You don’t keep McDavid to just four points in four games without committing some crimes along the way, especially with arguably the shallowest defence group in the playoffs. But it didn’t matter if McDavid was held, hooked, tripped, kneed, mauled – which he repeatedly was throughout the series – because the referees looked the other way. Rachel Doerrie, formerly of the New Jersey Devils, rewatched every McDavid shift for the series and counted “over 30” infractions that were missed, which sounds about right based on my own live viewing. McDavid earned zero.

Rachel Doerrie @racheldoerrie
I watched every shift he played in 4 games. I counted over 30 infractions against him. The fact he didn’t draw 1 speaks to what the NHL wants from its officials - and it is not good for the game.

If your solution is McDavid needs to change his game, you’ve lost the plot.

The solution is the NHL needs to mandate the rule book be called and if 97/87/29 draw 8 a night, then so be it. Others will have to adjust or get better. You can’t punish the stars.

Quote:

The funny thing is this isn’t new. This actually happened last year, too. Four games against Chicago in the play-in round, zero calls. That’s eight straight playoff or playoff-adjacent games where the referees watched McDavid battle through constant abuse and essentially said “suck it up.” This is, of course, The Playoffs, after all.

This past season McDavid took 1,182 shifts, drawing 29 penalties. That means that, based on the standard set for his play, McDavid had a 2.5 percent chance of drawing a penalty on any given shift this season. Already that seems ridiculously conservative, but again, that’s the standard. McDavid took 121 shifts in these playoffs over four games. Based on a normal distribution, the chances of drawing exactly zero penalties over a four-game series is just five percent. Not impossible, but highly unlikely that it happens by random chance. We can all use our eyes to see that “random chance” and “ignoring it” were the same thing in this series. McDavid had an eight percent chance of earning six or more calls over the series – which he had every single right to earn.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786456 is a reply to message #786452 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 15:17

In case anyone wants to stew about refs more. From TheAthletic:

Quote:

Anyone who watched even just one period of the series knows how ridiculous that is. You don’t keep McDavid to just four points in four games without committing some crimes along the way, especially with arguably the shallowest defence group in the playoffs. But it didn’t matter if McDavid was held, hooked, tripped, kneed, mauled – which he repeatedly was throughout the series – because the referees looked the other way. Rachel Doerrie, formerly of the New Jersey Devils, rewatched every McDavid shift for the series and counted “over 30” infractions that were missed, which sounds about right based on my own live viewing. McDavid earned zero.

Rachel Doerrie @racheldoerrie
I watched every shift he played in 4 games. I counted over 30 infractions against him. The fact he didn’t draw 1 speaks to what the NHL wants from its officials - and it is not good for the game.

If your solution is McDavid needs to change his game, you’ve lost the plot.

The solution is the NHL needs to mandate the rule book be called and if 97/87/29 draw 8 a night, then so be it. Others will have to adjust or get better. You can’t punish the stars.

Quote:

The funny thing is this isn’t new. This actually happened last year, too. Four games against Chicago in the play-in round, zero calls. That’s eight straight playoff or playoff-adjacent games where the referees watched McDavid battle through constant abuse and essentially said “suck it up.” This is, of course, The Playoffs, after all.

This past season McDavid took 1,182 shifts, drawing 29 penalties. That means that, based on the standard set for his play, McDavid had a 2.5 percent chance of drawing a penalty on any given shift this season. Already that seems ridiculously conservative, but again, that’s the standard. McDavid took 121 shifts in these playoffs over four games. Based on a normal distribution, the chances of drawing exactly zero penalties over a four-game series is just five percent. Not impossible, but highly unlikely that it happens by random chance. We can all use our eyes to see that “random chance” and “ignoring it” were the same thing in this series. McDavid had an eight percent chance of earning six or more calls over the series – which he had every single right to earn.

It's pretty pathetic and the only way it changes is McDavid himself has to say something. The coach yelling at the refs won't do anything. The Oilers brass complaining which I bet they do, won't change anything. McDavid himself has to say something to embarrass the league. He has to not take the high road like he does and call out the league. Call out the fact he was kneed. Call out the fact Demelo low bridged him which was EXACTLY what Archibald did to Stanley who's a plug and not the face of the league. He will get fined. So take the fine.

What is the most pathetic part of the NHL's stance is they say "we want the players to decide games, not the refs". Well the refs are deciding the games by not calling stuff. When a player is allowed to tackle a player as was the case with Leon that happened last game then physically LAY on Leon but not calling that, you the refs are impacting the game. Laying on top of a guy not letting him get up isn't playing good defense, you are allowing cheating.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 May 2021 15:30]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786458 is a reply to message #786456 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 14:26

It's pretty pathetic and the only way it changes is McDavid himself has to say something. The coach yelling at the refs won't do anything. The Oilers brass complaining which I bet they do, won't change anything. McDavid himself has to say something to embarrass the league. He has to not take the high road like he does and call out the league. Call out the fact he was kneed. Call out the fact Demelo low bridged him which was EXACTLY what Archibald did to Stanley who's a plug and not the face of the league. He will get fined. So take the fine.

What is the most pathetic part of the NHL's stance is they say "we want the players to decide games, not the refs". Well the refs are deciding the games by not calling stuff. When a player is allowed to tackle a player as was the case with Leon that happened last game then physically LAY on Leon but not calling that, you the refs are impacting the game. Laying on top of a guy not letting him get up isn't playing good defense, you are allowing cheating.

McDavid saying anything won't have any more impact than anyone else saying anything. Crosby did it early on in his career and he got labeled a whiner. This is exactly how the league wants it to be. Ray Whitney said it: when he played he took a lot of abuse and he takes pride in putting the onus on the skill players to be able to take a hit. And that's the guy they hired to provide the 'clean' players perspective.

Where I do think it might have some short-term impact is if someone on the Oilers calls it out in the moment, in a post-game presser. It takes skill to call out the refs and not embarrass them but at the same time put pressure on them to call something, but I think it can definitely be done. But I have no confidence that anything is going to change with how the league views calling penalties in the playoffs in general, not with the current group that is running things.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786490 is a reply to message #786326 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Disappointingly, but unsurprisingly, Ethan Bear's girlfriend has to post about all the racist BS that Ethan Bear is dealing with right now. Just ridiculous. I'm now also seeing people calling out the same "doesn't think the game well" racist trope that I mentioned here before.

Some people are just despicable.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786500 is a reply to message #786326 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Here's that knee by Demelo on the best player in the world in game 4.. no call.. NOTHING!!!
Clowns on the Sportsnet panel totally ignored it.. total BS..
https://twitter.com/zjlaing/status/1397035474124894215

Guy hasn't drawn ONE penalty in 2 playoff series.. that's statistically impossible unless the decision to make a call has a built in bias.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2NEf-4UcAQ7-U7?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2Psfh3VIAArNB-?format=jpg&name=small

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786502 is a reply to message #786500 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 00:35

Here's that knee by Demelo on the best player in the world in game 4.. no call.. NOTHING!!!

Guy hasn't drawn ONE penalty in 2 playoff series.. that's statistically impossible unless the decision to make a call has a built in bias.

Nothing to see here

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786506 is a reply to message #786502 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 08:05

Nothing to see here

Just gotta battle through it like everyone else.

Couple penalties I saw last night. Marner gets a slight slash on the side of his butt that doesn't affect the play at all. Matthews gets a microscopic crosscheck. The refs can't get their hands up fast enough in some places of the world. Maybe a difference in gravitation force out east.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786513 is a reply to message #786506 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 08:25

Nothing to see here

Couple penalties I saw last night. Marner gets a slight slash on the side of his butt that doesn't affect the play at all. Matthews gets a microscopic crosscheck. The refs can't get their hands up fast enough in some places of the world. Maybe a difference in gravitation force out east.

If that kind of reffing occurs when they play the Jets, the Jets will be shorthanded 50% or more of the games.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786514 is a reply to message #786506 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 08:25

Nothing to see here

It took me a few looks to see the second Leafs dman there. I have no idea why the team and players are not more vocal. It will not change until they get repeatedly called out.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786519 is a reply to message #786514 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 08:58

It took me a few looks to see the second Leafs dman there. I have no idea why the team and players are not more vocal. It will not change until they get repeatedly called out.

The team is still operating under the Todd McLellan delusion that if they call out the referees they'll be seen as whiners and it might be worse for them. Also, the coach and management don't want to risk the small fine and slap on the wrist from the NHL.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786538 is a reply to message #786519 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 08:27

The team is still operating under the Todd McLellan delusion that if they call out the referees they'll be seen as whiners and it might be worse for them. Also, the coach and management don't want to risk the small fine and slap on the wrist from the NHL.

This is what stuns me the most about Oiler management, your team obviously is getting screwed on lack of penalty calls on your franchise players, the engines of your team, directly leading you to be out of the playoffs and ending your season.. and they choose to be SILENT.

I've seen the coaches on several teams in the south call out the poor NHL refereeing in the playoffs recently, and they received NO fines, not even a scolding from the NHL, on the contrary.. the refs actually started calling more penalties as a response.. the NHL took the criticism and made corrections.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786562 is a reply to message #786538 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 11:11

This is what stuns me the most about Oiler management, your team obviously is getting screwed on lack of penalty calls on your franchise players, the engines of your team, directly leading you to be out of the playoffs and ending your season.. and they choose to be SILENT.

I've seen the coaches on several teams in the south call out the poor NHL refereeing in the playoffs recently, and they received NO fines, not even a scolding from the NHL, on the contrary.. the refs actually started calling more penalties as a response.. the NHL took the criticism and made corrections.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. If there's a fine, then pass the hat if you need to. But make some noise about it or the NHL and the referees believe you're fine with it. They're not going to give us any brownie points for nicely just playing along while getting mugged.

Should we expect more from a team that just doesn't bother thinking about any cap creativity? They don't complain about anything, they just believe that eventually things will work out because of the "cyclical nature of the game". Eventually it'll be our turn again if we just stay quiet and do nothing.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786563 is a reply to message #786562 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 12:07

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 11:11

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. If there's a fine, then pass the hat if you need to. But make some noise about it or the NHL and the referees believe you're fine with it. They're not going to give us any brownie points for nicely just playing along while getting mugged.

Should we expect more from a team that just doesn't bother thinking about any cap creativity? They don't complain about anything, they just believe that eventually things will work out because of the "cyclical nature of the game". Eventually it'll be our turn again if we just stay quiet and do nothing.

Owners should gladly pay a fine. The consequences of calling out the officiating and receiving the benefits of the change is far more profitable on the ice, in the stands and in the television revenue than it is to be quiet.

Such a simple narrative.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786536 is a reply to message #786506 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 07:25

Nothing to see here

Its all part of the NHL's script. There is a script.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786753 is a reply to message #786536 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 11:04

Nothing to see here

Time to change your handle to Skookum Tim.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786784 is a reply to message #786536 ]
Fri, 28 May 2021 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Nothing to see here

Honestly though, I don't disagree. It's not conspiratorial either (I loathe to use that specific word for how frequently it gets tossed around, in a variety of contexts, for a variety of purposes), but rooted in facts, as evidenced by all sorts of scandals and revelations in the recent history of sport.

There's a great podcast I recommend people listen to called "The Whistleblower". It's about the NBA, and covers some of the more contentious, close playoff series of the past 20-30 years, and takes a deep dive into officiating. Reffing has always been a major issue in the NBA. It investigates specific incidents in certain games and series that are suspicious if not downright obvious and inexcusable. David Stern and the league most certainly had—and still have, under Silver—an agenda and the majority of people turn a blind eye, because we get caught up with literally everything else. Every so often you get a team like the Raptors who, once in a blue moon, have everything go right ("the stars align") and who can break the mold, overcome. In the NBA it is particularly egregious and obvious. But the networks and the league control the platforms, the narratives, the flow of information and much of what happens across the league, and they work together to make it all work in their favour(s). The refs are agents of the league. They (league executives, media outlets, advertisers and league officials) are not necessarily all 'in cahoots' with each other, coordinating through some grand clandestine communications system, but they all have a the same goal: make lots money (by favouring certain teams and markets over others). They do so by covering (or omitting) who and what gets discussed, who gets the calls in crucial moments, etc.

The same issues apply to the NHL. These are tightly controlled, private, opaque, old boys organizations where the bottom line is money. On top of money (eyeballs, attendance, marketing, exposure), NHL officials most certainly are biased (apart from their fallibility), probably more so than in any other sport. The Colin Campbell scandal from a few years ago was absolutely absurd, and confirmed much of what we already know – that executives and officials from the league are friends with people in the media; and that they share informations, thoughts and opinions about stuff with each other. That was one of the most ridiculous, most blatant scandals in recent memory and it came and went like it was nothing. The media barely recognized it.

It's not rocket science. The Oilers are pretty much powerless in a situation like this. So yes, we need to get better as a squad top to bottom (I'm MUCH more hopeful and optimistic than others here), but the officiating—as a result of quiet, perhaps even unspoken *wink wink* orders—has an mega impact and in many ways can control the fate of an organization. A team like Edmonton has to overcome the sun, the moon, the stars, the zebras, the league... it's no joke man!

[Updated on: Fri, 28 May 2021 11:33]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786799 is a reply to message #786784 ]
Fri, 28 May 2021 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

philly boy wrote on Fri, 28 May 2021 11:24

Nothing to see here

Honestly though, I don't disagree. It's not conspiratorial either (I loathe to use that specific word for how frequently it gets tossed around, in a variety of contexts, for a variety of purposes), but rooted in facts, as evidenced by all sorts of scandals and revelations in the recent history of sport.

There's a great podcast I recommend people listen to called "The Whistleblower". It's about the NBA, and covers some of the more contentious, close playoff series of the past 20-30 years, and takes a deep dive into officiating. Reffing has always been a major issue in the NBA. It investigates specific incidents in certain games and series that are suspicious if not downright obvious and inexcusable. David Stern and the league most certainly had—and still have, under Silver—an agenda and the majority of people turn a blind eye, because we get caught up with literally everything else. Every so often you get a team like the Raptors who, once in a blue moon, have everything go right ("the stars align") and who can break the mold, overcome. In the NBA it is particularly egregious and obvious. But the networks and the league control the platforms, the narratives, the flow of information and much of what happens across the league, and they work together to make it all work in their favour(s). The refs are agents of the league. They (league executives, media outlets, advertisers and league officials) are not necessarily all 'in cahoots' with each other, coordinating through some grand clandestine communications system, but they all have a the same goal: make lots money (by favouring certain teams and markets over others). They do so by covering (or omitting) who and what gets discussed, who gets the calls in crucial moments, etc.

The same issues apply to the NHL. These are tightly controlled, private, opaque, old boys organizations where the bottom line is money. On top of money (eyeballs, attendance, marketing, exposure), NHL officials most certainly are biased (apart from their fallibility), probably more so than in any other sport. The Colin Campbell scandal from a few years ago was absolutely absurd, and confirmed much of what we already know – that executives and officials from the league are friends with people in the media; and that they share informations, thoughts and opinions about stuff with each other. That was one of the most ridiculous, most blatant scandals in recent memory and it came and went like it was nothing. The media barely recognized it.

It's not rocket science. The Oilers are pretty much powerless in a situation like this. So yes, we need to get better as a squad top to bottom (I'm MUCH more hopeful and optimistic than others here), but the officiating—as a result of quiet, perhaps even unspoken *wink wink* orders—has an mega impact and in many ways can control the fate of an organization. A team like Edmonton has to overcome the sun, the moon, the stars, the zebras, the league... it's no joke man!

Yup, it has always been this way. We were very lucky in that the 80's Oilers were so good compared to the rest of the league they were able to repeatedly overcome the horribly biased refereeing in the playoffs back then. The Islanders, Flyers and Bruins all benefited and got away with lots of crap back but the Oilers still prevailed.

With McDavid I think it is even worse - the league is prepared to overlook just about anything to make sure a bigger market is successful. As for this year - I think they believed the Oilers would be a tougher challenge than the Jets for the makebeLeafs and we saw the result (see pics above).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786803 is a reply to message #786799 ]
Fri, 28 May 2021 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Fri, 28 May 2021 13:35

Yup, it has always been this way. We were very lucky in that the 80's Oilers were so good compared to the rest of the league they were able to repeatedly overcome the horribly biased refereeing in the playoffs back then. The Islanders, Flyers and Bruins all benefited and got away with lots of crap back but the Oilers still prevailed.

With McDavid I think it is even worse - the league is prepared to overlook just about anything to make sure a bigger market is successful. As for this year - I think they believed the Oilers would be a tougher challenge than the Jets for the makebeLeafs and we saw the result (see pics above).

I think the market thing is overblown. If the fix was really in, then you wouldn't have seen Edmonton land McDavid. You probably wouldn't have seen Pittsburgh land Crosby. We'd see a better product in games where Toronto and New York are playing because they'd be making sure the stars can play in those games.

That's not what's happening. Around the league, penalties have fallen and fallen and fallen since 2006 and the refs have allowed more and more and more grappling, interference, roughing after the whistle, etc. That's because that's what guys like Campbell think that people want to see - so they instruct the referees that that's how the game should be called. Across the board, not just against Edmonton.

Yes, Campbell is an idiot and also wanted preferential treatment for his son. He's just generally awful at his job, so it should come as no real surprise. But I don't think he's got a grand plan to get the Rangers and Toronto more Stanley Cups. If he does, well, he's even more incompetent than people give him credit for, because neither have won since he joined league management.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786804 is a reply to message #786803 ]
Fri, 28 May 2021 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 May 2021 14:59

welcometotheOC wrote on Fri, 28 May 2021 13:35

I think the market thing is overblown. If the fix was really in, then you wouldn't have seen Edmonton land McDavid. You probably wouldn't have seen Pittsburgh land Crosby. We'd see a better product in games where Toronto and New York are playing because they'd be making sure the stars can play in those games.

That's not what's happening. Around the league, penalties have fallen and fallen and fallen since 2006 and the refs have allowed more and more and more grappling, interference, roughing after the whistle, etc. That's because that's what guys like Campbell think that people want to see - so they instruct the referees that that's how the game should be called. Across the board, not just against Edmonton.

Yes, Campbell is an idiot and also wanted preferential treatment for his son. He's just generally awful at his job, so it should come as no real surprise. But I don't think he's got a grand plan to get the Rangers and Toronto more Stanley Cups. If he does, well, he's even more incompetent than people give him credit for, because neither have won since he joined league management.

They can only go so far, in such an obvious manner. They do what they can to manage games to give them a better chance - they don't have to win the cup, just have to do better than the smaller markets. The league is run by old hockey players unfortunately which results in the idiotic old boy attitudes. At the top is a savvy New York lawyer though - with an NBA bloodline.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786815 is a reply to message #786326 ]
Sat, 29 May 2021 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/isnt-it-time-the-nhl-protecte d-stars-the-way-it-protects-goalies
Quote:

... Connor McDavid hasn't drawn a penalty in the playoffs in the past two years. Yet we continue to see goals that look good get called back because of goalie interference. What gives?

The numbers, when you look at them, are staggering. To this point in his career, Connor McDavid has played 21 playoff games. He has been on the ice for the Edmonton Oilers for a combined 502 minutes and 30 seconds in those games. And in that time, the fastest, most talented and most dynamic player in the world has drawn a total of six minor penalties, zero in the eight games he has played in the past two playoff seasons.

Six penalties. One for every 83 minutes and 45 seconds he has played.

For time immemorial, it has generally been accepted in hockey culture that players who are more offensively gifted than their peers and, thus, have a competitive advantage of them, are expected to put up with more attention from their peers. And sometimes it falls on the wrong side of the rulebook. Bobby Hull complained about it for years. When Peter Stastny first came into the league, there were nights when he would have to drive home from games using only his right hand because his left was black and blue with bruises. (TSN analyst and former NHLer Ray Ferraro told me that when he was on the ice with Stastny, he would simply hold Stastny’s stick for the entire shift until the referee instructed him to let go. He would for a second, then simply grab it again.) Mike Bossy, one of the greatest goalscorers in NHL history, was forced to retire at the age of 30 because of back problems brought on by enduring countless crosschecks.

So this is nothing new. But anyone who watched the Oilers’ first-round series against the Winnipeg Jets and would suggest that not a single infraction was committed against McDavid is either a blindly loyal Jets fan or wasn’t watching very closely.... cont'd

[Updated on: Sat, 29 May 2021 10:53]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786816 is a reply to message #786815 ]
Sat, 29 May 2021 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 29 May 2021 10:51

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/isnt-it-time-the-nhl-protecte d-stars-the-way-it-protects-goalies
Quote:

... Connor McDavid hasn't drawn a penalty in the playoffs in the past two years. Yet we continue to see goals that look good get called back because of goalie interference. What gives?

The numbers, when you look at them, are staggering. To this point in his career, Connor McDavid has played 21 playoff games. He has been on the ice for the Edmonton Oilers for a combined 502 minutes and 30 seconds in those games. And in that time, the fastest, most talented and most dynamic player in the world has drawn a total of six minor penalties, zero in the eight games he has played in the past two playoff seasons.

For time immemorial, it has generally been accepted in hockey culture that players who are more offensively gifted than their peers and, thus, have a competitive advantage of them, are expected to put up with more attention from their peers. And sometimes it falls on the wrong side of the rulebook. Bobby Hull complained about it for years. When Peter Stastny first came into the league, there were nights when he would have to drive home from games using only his right hand because his left was black and blue with bruises. (TSN analyst and former NHLer Ray Ferraro told me that when he was on the ice with Stastny, he would simply hold Stastny’s stick for the entire shift until the referee instructed him to let go. He would for a second, then simply grab it again.) Mike Bossy, one of the greatest goalscorers in NHL history, was forced to retire at the age of 30 because of back problems brought on by enduring countless crosschecks.

So this is nothing new. But anyone who watched the Oilers’ first-round series against the Winnipeg Jets and would suggest that not a single infraction was committed against McDavid is either a blindly loyal Jets fan or wasn’t watching very closely.... cont'd

Goals get called off for goalie interference?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786818 is a reply to message #786816 ]
Sat, 29 May 2021 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 29 May 2021 09:58

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 29 May 2021 10:51

Quote:

Goals get called off for goalie interference?

Not when it involved R. Kessler!

Main pt. is that even media outside Edmonton have noticed the infractions against McDavid that don't get called.

Quote:

Fair enough. Nobody would argue that it’s important for goalies to be protected. That’s why they’re not considered “fair game” even when they’re outside their crease. But the question is, why is the same protection not afforded to players such as Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews? Any care to guess which NHL player has drawn the most minor penalties in the NHL since McDavid entered the league in 2015-16? Tom Wilson, that’s who. Second is Nazem Kadri, while McDavid is third. Brad Marchand is fourth and Matthew Tkachuk is fifth.

It’s not as though the rules are not there to protect star players. Like the goalie interference rule, the one governing interference on skaters is every bit as stringent on paper. In fact, the interference rule in the rulebook is preceded by the following statement: “A strict standard on acts of interference must be adhered to in all areas of the rink.”

So it’s a matter of application. And in the case of players such as McDavid, the application is spotty at best. Rachel Doerrie, a former consultant with the New Jersey Devils, who is completing a Masters degree in sports science and analytics at York University and is a senior analyst of data and analytics at BMO, confirmed as much. She watched each of McDavid’s shifts in isolation during the series against the Jets and counted no fewer than 37 –more than nine per game - that could have been called penalties. She did the same thing with each shift McDavid played in the NHL last season and said there were an average of three blatant infractions per game committed against McDavid.

“I asked, ‘How many of these are legitimate infractions, how many of these are egregious infractions and how many of them are ticky-tack?’ ” Doerrie said. “There were three egregious instances of penalties per game. I’m talking, he’s getting tackled, he’s getting the stick slashed out of his hands, he’s getting hooked, getting interfered with. Interference was the biggest one. I counted 2.96, so basically three per game.”

And when Doerrie was working in analytics with the Devils for two years, she had a number of conversations with players about obstruction and targeting star players. And what one NHL defenseman told her has stuck with her since. “He said, ‘Every time I go against a player like that, whether it’s McDavid, (Nathan) MacKinnon, (Sidney) Crosby, I know that even if I commit an infraction, it’s only going to get called 15 to 20 percent of the time,’ ” Doerrie said. “ ‘If you told me I could commit 10 infractions and I’m going to get called once or twice, I’m going to do that every time. The game plan is we commit penalties and hope they only call a couple of them.’ And more often than not, that’s exactly what happens.

[Updated on: Sat, 29 May 2021 11:55]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:No more Haaaaaas
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca