This day on May 2
None

Happy Birthday To: Oil Fan stuck in Cowtown, Filthy, Yozzy, oilymion, Blurr, mandingo, Smyty98

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4)Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786380 is a reply to message #786379 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 11:30

Ensuring we had no clue what Bouchard could do definitely paid off in the end too eh?

Along with going the last half of the year not caring about finding some chemistry for a 2nd line with drai. Those were some pretty big brain decisions to flesh the lineup out for playoffs

Bouchard, the "2nd line", and even though we ended up not needing it, not even seeing what Stalock could do in one of the last 2 meaningless games of the year. Enough stupid to go around to be sure.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786381 is a reply to message #786380 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 08:35

Ensuring we had no clue what Bouchard could do definitely paid off in the end too eh?

Along with going the last half of the year not caring about finding some chemistry for a 2nd line with drai. Those were some pretty big brain decisions to flesh the lineup out for playoffs

Bouchard, the "2nd line", and even though we ended up not needing it, not even seeing what Stalock could do in one of the last 2 meaningless games of the year. Enough stupid to go around to be sure.

Getting swept could be the kind of hard kick in the head that Holland needs to realize just how weak this team really is in key areas.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786383 is a reply to message #786381 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 08:40

Getting swept could be the kind of hard kick in the head that Holland needs to realize just how weak this team really is in key areas.

The holes were so glaring after last year's pre-playoff exit too. Nothing changed. I can't help but think the narrative with be 'all four games were so close it was really just bad luck'. They lost 4 coin flips.

I know I know. Cap space and an easier division next year.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786397 is a reply to message #786383 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 08:53

The holes were so glaring after last year's pre-playoff exit too. Nothing changed. I can't help but think the narrative with be 'all four games were so close it was really just bad luck'. They lost 4 coin flips.

Can it really be a weaker division? Winnipeg and Montreal are the 14th and 16th place teams in the playoffs. Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver sucked.

I am pretty concerned. The Oilers have whined about cap space and Chia's mess - but Holland's fingerprints are all over the bottom six. The depth is all Holland's, and it's worse than it was under even Chia (which you wouldn't have thought was possible).

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786398 is a reply to message #786397 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 10:55

Can it really be a weaker division? Winnipeg and Montreal are the 14th and 16th place teams in the playoffs. Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver sucked.

I don't think it's fair to compare the teams across divisions without interdivisional play and with different numbers of teams. Visually, Toronto was ok. The Oilers, Jets, and Habs had holes. The division next year?

Calgary
Vancouver
Seattle
Anaheim
LA
San Jose
Vegas
Edmonton

5 teams missed the playoffs, 1 team is expansion, 1 team is the Oilers, and Vegas is good. I do expect the California three to start figuring out their rebuild sooner than later.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786422 is a reply to message #786397 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 10:55

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 08:53

I am pretty concerned. The Oilers have whined about cap space and Chia's mess - but Holland's fingerprints are all over the bottom six. The depth is all Holland's, and it's worse than it was under even Chia (which you wouldn't have thought was possible).

The thing Holland has at least done well is to give those depth players short-term low-dollar contracts that made them gambles that wouldn't bite the team hard in the long run unlike Chia who made the moves like giving Koski that ridiculous contract, never mind Lucic. The following guys are UFA's in the coming offseason:

Nuge
Larsson
Chiasson
Ennis
Barrie
Haas
Nygard
Russell
Kulikov
Koekkoek
Smith

I can see a scenario where none of those guys except for Nuge and/or Larsson are still Oilers next season, and even then it should only be if those guys were willing to take pay cuts to stay. I wouldn't mind seeing Barrie back, but he likely played himself into a larger contract from a desperate team like Buffalo who has tons of cap space.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786386 is a reply to message #786381 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Tippett was awful this series.

Freaked out after game 1 and loaded one line again.

I don’t think he ever dressed his best lineup. I don’t get the love for Koekkoek. Ennis and Kahun sat in the pressbox for lots of this series. In a bottom 9 with a huge lack of scoring, those guys are the best of a weak group at 5v5.

Didn’t use his timeout during the comeback in game 3.

Didn’t tweak his system to how Winnipeg played us all series.

Bear made a stupid mistake, but it’s playoffs. He knows he messed up. If you have trusted him all year, you have to trust that he can come back after that. Playing Nurse for a 5 minute shift is not something I’d want to rely on.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786414 is a reply to message #786381 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 07:40

This is the one bright spot. If the Oil had somehow beat Wpg this series, and crapped it next vs. Leafs.. then Holland and Co. might have been deluded into thinking they had a viable line up that just need some tweaks.. Now the holes are glaringly obvious and hard to wallpaper over.

Some post season trauma ramblings for 2021/2022;

The current defense is not strong, save for Nurse and Larsson (assuming he is signed, bravo to him for changing his career around).. and prospects Samorukov, Bouchard, Broberg .. I would not be trading any of those guys, that's your ELC pipeline.
Bouchard might play next year at 3rd pair RHD, but IMO the 1st pair is open, as well as the 2nd pair LHD.

Not sure there is a trade, or UFA, to fill those two D holes.. Ideas? (I had a dream about one below)

Bear seemed to take a major step back, but might not be a step back, that could just be what he is, not quick, not physical, not a shooter.. if you don't have those aforementioned assets, you might get by with high IQ.. which hasn't been evident recently.. IMO jury is out on that guy.. especially after this series.. Holland better not be placing any long term bets on him.

Barrie is going for a pay day elsewhere..

I'd sign Koekkoek for 3rd pair @ cheap.. he was effective.

McD's line needs a fast, quick, smart, skilled sniper at LW, who can carry the puck, to go with JP. JP needs to progress. LW via UFA, or by some miracle Holloway takes a quantum jump in camp (low odds)

LD's line.. Yamo sometimes effective, but too slow at that diminutive size to be effective. He's quick, but not exceptionally fast. Needs a legit LW, and ideally a RW upgrade.

RNH.. bad year.. not fast.. not physical enough to cycle or win pucks in scrums, out battled consistently, not an exceptional shot, can PK, good on PP .. is he a center or a winger? Let walk or sign? who can you get with $6.5M in cap to replace what he does? Questions for Holland.. and Nuge (his price)

Despite claims to the contrary, the team is not fast overall, too many are below average, speed needs to be upgraded. If it comes with size even better. I'm assuming they have requisite NHL skill, otherwise we'd sign a 6'-4" figure skater.

Khaira.. he was brutal at the start of the year.. then he seemed to have had a breakthrough mid season, thought he was very effective, then became invisible again when it mattered.. regressed.. what is his norm? Confusing. Back to speed, he ain't got it, and he's too brutal at the FO dot to be an effective shutdown center. Upgrade.

Kahun? Upgrade.

Chaisson? Speed. Upgrade.

Turris.. buyout?

Need to pull the "Tampa Bay" LTIR con with Neal.. LTIR that $5.75M for the season!

Koskinen? Need to get creative to dump that $4.5M, use it on a replacement.

With Neal, Kosikinen savings.. (dreaming here) throw the chequebook at D. Hamilton, shoots R, pair with Nurse? :) Your top pair sprinkled for the next 5 years with D prospects on ELCs.

As bottom 6; Haas has speed (but no goals in those hands) and was effective defensively, Ennis lacks size but was OK overall, Shore plays smart, has size, but slower than you wish for.. upgrade on all these guys if you can.. but maybe cheap defaults to fill out a roster.

Hopefully Lavoie progresses and moves up soon at R shot wing, or even center?

[Updated on: Tue, 25 May 2021 12:35]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786382 is a reply to message #786326 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Next year will be better. Much better.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786387 is a reply to message #786382 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Not that the refs were the cause of the loss but hearing on the radio that McD didn't draw a single PP. Not 1!! How is that possible?

I know playoff hockey is different and the refs and NHL want the players to decide the games so if you want to let all the smaller hacks and wacks go all call it the "price you pay in the playoffs" then fine. But how the hell can he not get 1 single penalty drawn? How about the knee on knee? Mind blowing.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786393 is a reply to message #786387 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 09:56

Not that the refs were the cause of the loss but hearing on the radio that McD didn't draw a single PP. Not 1!! How is that possible?

I know playoff hockey is different and the refs and NHL want the players to decide the games so if you want to let all the smaller hacks and wacks go all call it the "price you pay in the playoffs" then fine. But how the hell can he not get 1 single penalty drawn? How about the knee on knee? Mind blowing.

The rules are enforced differently during the playoffs. We know this and should plan accordingly.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786394 is a reply to message #786393 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 10:24

The rules are enforced differently during the playoffs. We know this and should plan accordingly.

I didn’t see it live, just on twitter after. But that knee going uncalled shows the farce that is NHL officiating, it garnering no attention from DoPS shows farce that is Jorge Pãrrös.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786400 is a reply to message #786393 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 10:24

I thought the best strategy is just to accept your best players are going to be assaulted at every opportunity with impunity and just roll over and play dead about it.

Just ridiculous that they called the little slash on Draisaitl last night after all the other stuff they let go. You literally can grab a guy around his head and wrench his helmet off from behind, or punch people in scrums but a little tap on the back of the legs? Such ridiculous inconsistency.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786403 is a reply to message #786387 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 08:56

Summary of the season. That's why NHL refereeing is a joke.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786391 is a reply to message #786382 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigred75  is currently offline bigred75

No Cups

philly boy wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 08:53

Why does this show up in Oiler feeds every year?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786392 is a reply to message #786391 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

bigred75 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 10:19

Because you can’t go for it every year

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786399 is a reply to message #786392 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigred75  is currently offline bigred75

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 10:22

But you can win a game in the playoffs. Even to just save face.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786401 is a reply to message #786399 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

bigred75 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 11:10

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 10:22

But you can win a game in the playoffs. Even to just save face.

Sorry, my comment was made with my tongue forcefully filling my cheek.

Any year with Connor McDavid, especially where you’re making playoffs, should be a year you go for it.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786404 is a reply to message #786401 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The water carriers are showing up on the scene of the tire fire:

Quote:

Ryan Rishaug
@TSNRyanRishaug
A few big picture Oiler thoughts.

The organization decided not to push in too many chips this season. Conservative at the deadline, preserving picks and assets. While that makes sense on a lot of levels, the price for that decision is in the playoffs, when big moments arrive/
10:22 AM · May 25, 2021·Twitter Web App
Retweets
Quote Tweets
@TSNRyanRishaug
·
1h
Replying to
@TSNRyanRishaug
/you don't have the players you need - 3LC for Dzone draws, goal scoring winger to shoulder some of the load - things everyone knew they needed. The organization hoped the current group would push deeper as its constructed - they didn't and the holes were obvious/
Ryan Rishaug
@TSNRyanRishaug

Because of the flat cap, that decision is more justifiable, but the fact remains, its another year of 97/29 in their prime where they come up short with not enough help around them. IMO this was the last time the organization can take a conservative approach to getting better/

/The last deadline where preserving future assets take priority over winning right now. It needs to be all in from here on out. The 2 years the Oilers have made the playoffs with McDavid, the deadline acquisitions have been David Desharnais, and Dmitri Kulikov/

/In Fairness, Holland tried to be more aggressive last year before the shut down, and I believe that will be his strategy moving forward. They have lots of cap space and lots of needs this off season. This is Hollands chance to shape a winner around his 2 all world talents/

Quote:

Bob Stauffer
@Bob_Stauffer

There will be many perspectives on the Oilers losing to the Jets in 4 straight, albeit 3 in OT.

Give credit where credit is due:

Hellebuyck was terrific (.950 SVP).
The Jets were deeper.

To the off-season.
Could have 25+M in cap space.
EDM needs to upgrade LW, 2nd LD, 3/4C

So much cap space. Don't worry! We'll blow our brains out trying to sign...who!? Paul Stastny? Ryan Getzlaf? Nick Foligno?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786395 is a reply to message #786326 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Winnipeg looked super sketchy heading into the playoffs, losing like 9 in a row or whatever, but they still had a good enough season despite that to finish third in the division. Looks like they figured it out when they most needed.

Top to bottom, I'd probably put Winnipeg's Top-6 up against anyone - Schiefele, Wheeler, Connor, Ehlers, Dubois, and Stastny is pretty darn good. Schiefele and Ehlers in particular are criminally underrated. And then Hellebuyck is one of the best in the league.

I didn't know about their defense, but they played well and were relatively effective at maintaining McDrai.

McDavid and Draisaitl weren't incredible, but they weren't invisible. Smith was surprisingly good. For the second year in a row, it's depth scoring at 5 on 5 that cost them, and until they figure that out, feels like this will be the outcome. Winnipeg isn't crap, but they aren't Colorado or Vegas either, IMO, who may be even deeper in the bottom six and defense.

Oilers relied heavily on the PP all year and when there are fewer chances in the playoffs, they just couldn't find scoring throughout the lineup at 5-on-5... And the Jets found a little more.

In the end, the Oilers have the better top end talent in McDavid and Draisaitl, but the Jets have a better Top-6, Bottom-6, goaltending, coaching, and management. Until the Oilers get their depth sorted out, this is the result we can expect to see. They are 1-7 in the Tippett / Holland era and that is just not good enough in prime McDavid and Draisaitl years.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786405 is a reply to message #786326 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

So, quite frankly I only watched a total of 5 periods of this series. All of game one + a period of each 3 & 4, after forgetting about game 2.

One thing I don't have time for is the "well, Gretz, Lemieux, etc all had to fight through the playoff clutching" and that's because we've seen the other leagues - especially the NBA and NFL - coddle their star players and let them play. While I never would want the NHL to totally emulate the NBA, because that officiating is a joke - doing some things to allow the skill players to play would be good for growing the game. I mean 97 was ridden like secretariat in game one that it turned me off the rest of it. I'm a lifelong fan, I was around for the 80's, I saw what they had to go through, I watched the 90's and 00's dead puck era. I don't have time for this league.

The Stanley Cup will be a grind no matter what, so why make it harder? If McDavid were in Buffalo and having this same kind of issue, I'd be just as frustrated.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 May 2021 11:44]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786406 is a reply to message #786405 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Suomalainen wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 14:42

So, quite frankly I only watched a total of 5 periods of this series. All of game one + a period of each 3 & 4, after forgetting about game 2.

One thing I don't have time for is the "well, Gretz, Lemieux, etc all had to fight through the playoff clutching" and that's because we've seen the other leagues - especially the NBA and NFL - coddle their star players and let them play. While I never would want the NHL to totally emulate the NBA, because that officiating is a joke - doing some things to allow the skill players to play would be good for growing the game. I mean 97 was ridden like secretariat in game one that it turned me off the rest of it. I'm a lifelong fan, I was around for the 80's, I saw what they had to go through, I watched the 90's and 00's dead puck era. I don't have time for this league.

The Stanley Cup will be a grind no matter what, so why make it harder? If McDavid were in Buffalo and having this same kind of issue, I'd be just as frustrated.

I hate hearing myself complain about officiating ad nauseum, but here I am. I don't understand why the NHL would not want to showcase its top players. Like you say, the NBA and NFL do a much better job of protecting their stars and letting them shine. "Tight checking playoff hockey"? It's cheating and it's not only allowed, it's basically condoned.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786408 is a reply to message #786406 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

TB lost 4 straight to the underdog BlueJackets then came back to win the Cup. So basically we're guaranteed the Cup next year?

I don't want to make excuses for the Oilers brass, but we did lead 3 of the games, 3 OT games. The one game with didn't lead, we didn't trail the whole game either. This series could just as easily be 3-1 for the Oilers. It isn't, but it could.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786413 is a reply to message #786408 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 12:11

TB lost 4 straight to the underdog BlueJackets then came back to win the Cup. So basically we're guaranteed the Cup next year?

I don't want to make excuses for the Oilers brass, but we did lead 3 of the games, 3 OT games. The one game with didn't lead, we didn't trail the whole game either. This series could just as easily be 3-1 for the Oilers. It isn't, but it could.

I don't want to go too hard on this narrative, or at all suggest we have a cup quality team, but Tampa did do something similar to us that year they were swept. They spent the last 1-2 months of the year all focused on jacking up Kucherov's stats to help him win some hardware and beat out McDavid. Completely took their eye off the ball of playoffs. They hit a hot goalie too, but they didn't play nearly as well as their team was capable of.

For the Oilers, even if McDavid didn't care that much, the whole team was treating getting him 100 points like a cup win. Might have even been a reason Tippett kept the top line loaded so long and completely forgot he needed to figure out how to balance the lineup with a proper 2nd line for playoffs.

Knock that crap off next year, maybe we can win 1 playoff game.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786438 is a reply to message #786408 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 11:11

I'd like to see the high danger chances comparison.

We outshot Winnipeg in the series, and likely have more possession time. But by the eye test, it really felt like the Jets got better looks at our net the whole series.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786439 is a reply to message #786438 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 14:17

We outshot Winnipeg in the series, and likely have more possession time. But by the eye test, it really felt like the Jets got better looks at our net the whole series.

I'd like to see the high danger chances as well. The Oilers outshot the Jets, in my opinion they have the puck way, way more than the Jets and for a lot of every game I thought out played them. But it seemed liked every mistake that Oilers made, the Jets scored and the buried their chances. Oilers seemed to miss some grade A chances. How many Leon 1 timers did he just miss? Or open looks for Nurse he was burying - he had 16 goals - but missed the net.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786440 is a reply to message #786439 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 14:21

I'd like to see the high danger chances as well. The Oilers outshot the Jets, in my opinion they have the puck way, way more than the Jets and for a lot of every game I thought out played them. But it seemed liked every mistake that Oilers made, the Jets scored and the buried their chances. Oilers seemed to miss some grade A chances. How many Leon 1 timers did he just miss? Or open looks for Nurse he was burying - he had 16 goals - but missed the net.

Can look through it all here

http://naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20202021&gam e=30180

We won the high danger chance battle in every game, 5v5 and all sitautions. That was driven almost entirely by 1 line of course.

5v5 in the series we won the high danger chances 60-39. So +21

McDavid was 34-16 (+18). Drai 37-15 (+22)

[Updated on: Tue, 25 May 2021 14:25]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786441 is a reply to message #786440 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 14:22

We won the high danger chance battle in every game, 5v5 and all sitautions. That was driven almost entirely by 1 line of course.

Yeah, I've heard a few people suggest that McDavid and Draisaitl got outplayed by Scheifele and Wheeler, and while the points are 10-9 in favour of their duo, I don't think that's a great comparison. McDavid and Draisaitl carried the play much of the series. Draisaitl had 24 shots, McDavid 15. Only David Pastrnak (in one more game) has more shots than Draisaitl did. The Jets blocked a TON of shots from those guys too.

If we had any depth to push at all when those guys are on the bench, we win. Instead, we get caved in whenever they aren't on the ice. I'm still trying to figure out why Tippett thinks it's a good idea to put out the Khaira line as a shutdown unit...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786442 is a reply to message #786441 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 14:28

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 14:22

Yeah, I've heard a few people suggest that McDavid and Draisaitl got outplayed by Scheifele and Wheeler, and while the points are 10-9 in favour of their duo, I don't think that's a great comparison. McDavid and Draisaitl carried the play much of the series. Draisaitl had 24 shots, McDavid 15. Only David Pastrnak (in one more game) has more shots than Draisaitl did. The Jets blocked a TON of shots from those guys too.

If we had any depth to push at all when those guys are on the bench, we win. Instead, we get caved in whenever they aren't on the ice. I'm still trying to figure out why Tippett thinks it's a good idea to put out the Khaira line as a shutdown unit...

As soon as he decided to load up McDrai, that really handicapped our team didn't it? McLeod/Nuge, or Khaira or Haas. Those are not playoff quality options to match up for key situations against a 2nd line with Ehlers on it.

If Holland knew Tippett was gonna use the McDrai line security blanket to this degree, I wonder if he tries a little harder to get another bottom 6 C to bump Khaira and Haas down a rung. Oh wait, I wouldn't want that. Probably would have given a 1st to Yzerman for Glendening

[Updated on: Tue, 25 May 2021 14:34]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786447 is a reply to message #786440 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Great find.

I do think Fenwick in this series is telling a story. We got more shots directed to the net, no doubt, but Winnipeg got sticks and limbs in front of so much. That was their game plan and they executed it pretty well.

Game-----------1-------2-------3-----4
Oilers CF% 63.92 53.04 49.21 56.36
Oilers FF% 62.50 51.22 53.19 51.46

When we consider Fenwick, Game 1 we dominated as expected. Game 2 and 4 become a lot closer to coin flips.

It's surprising to me that in Game 3 we lost the Corsi battle at all.

I wish they also had high danger Fenwick as opposed to Corsi. Just felt like Hellebuyck didn't have to be as good as Smith, although his positioning was impeccable. He was making saves look easy.

Boy this sure looks like Tippett screwed up bad putting Draisaitl with McDavid for the rest of the series. Pretty clear domination in the one game we had 2 lines.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 May 2021 14:50]

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786449 is a reply to message #786447 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 14:48

Great find.

I do think Fenwick in this series is telling a story. We got more shots directed to the net, no doubt, but Winnipeg got sticks and limbs in front of so much. That was their game plan and they executed it pretty well.

When we consider Fenwick, Game 1 we dominated as expected. Game 2 and 4 become a lot closer to coin flips.

I wish they also had high danger Fenwick as opposed to Corsi. Just felt like Hellebuyck didn't have to be as good as Smith, although his positioning was impeccable. He was making saves look easy.

Boy this sure looks like Tippett screwed up bad putting Draisaitl with McDavid for the rest of the series. Pretty clear domination in the one game we had 2 lines.

The idea of High Danger Fenwick may be pretty close to high danger chances on that site. A blocked shot loses a lot of the score the chance. I think only a super in close shot that is blocked could qualify. Should filter out almost any 10ft+ out shots that are blocked.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786457 is a reply to message #786449 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 14:00

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 14:48

Great find.

The idea of High Danger Fenwick may be pretty close to high danger chances on that site. A blocked shot loses a lot of the score the chance. I think only a super in close shot that is blocked could qualify. Should filter out almost any 10ft+ out shots that are blocked.

Right, yeah looking at their glossary it says that a blocked shot decreases their rating of the chance. Could still happen but seems that Hellebuyck was much more of a beast than Smith.

All said and done, Mike Smith finished the series with .912 save%. He'll probably be rated much higher by pundits than that.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786460 is a reply to message #786457 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

More water-carrying:

Quote:

Mark Spector
@SportsnetSpec

The Edmonton Oilers have had seven head coaches in the last decade, becoming the Cleveland Browns of the NHL.
If you are calling for Dave Tippett's replacement today, you clearly have not been paying attention.

Ken Holland's history is that he does not negotiate contracts during a stretch run and playoffs. Rather, he sets some parameters with agents and readies for talks.
Now, ballpark numbers/terms are established. Negotiations will proceed more quickly.

Spector, in true Spector form, doesn't do any actual work or spend any time explaining why Tippett shouldn't be fired, or for that matter, what he thinks would be reasonable contracts for those re-negotiations with Holland...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786475 is a reply to message #786460 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 15:04

More water-carrying:

Quote:

Mark Spector
@SportsnetSpec

The Edmonton Oilers have had seven head coaches in the last decade, becoming the Cleveland Browns of the NHL.
If you are calling for Dave Tippett's replacement today, you clearly have not been paying attention.

Ken Holland's history is that he does not negotiate contracts during a stretch run and playoffs. Rather, he sets some parameters with agents and readies for talks.
Now, ballpark numbers/terms are established. Negotiations will proceed more quickly.

Spector, in true Spector form, doesn't do any actual work or spend any time explaining why Tippett shouldn't be fired, or for that matter, what he thinks would be reasonable contracts for those re-negotiations with Holland...

Whether you keep Tippett or not should be based on where you think the team is next season. He's a good development coach, but clearly not a playoff coach. If we're contending then we need a new coach. But with all the free agent madness looming, I would guess we might have another development year unless we land a bunch of veteran players to fill the gaps Nuge, Barrie, etc are opening up.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786485 is a reply to message #786475 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 17:26

Whether you keep Tippett or not should be based on where you think the team is next season. He's a good development coach, but clearly not a playoff coach. If we're contending then we need a new coach. But with all the free agent madness looming, I would guess we might have another development year unless we land a bunch of veteran players to fill the gaps Nuge, Barrie, etc are opening up.

Ugh, please stop using the term "development year", as it still reminds me far too much about MacT's last presser as GM before his canning. I've come to associate that term with, "another year that we piss away waiting for talent to come along".

5-14-6-1

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786486 is a reply to message #786485 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 20:34

Ugh, please stop using the term "development year", as it still reminds me far too much about MacT's last presser as GM before his canning. I've come to associate that term with, "another year that we piss away waiting for talent to come along".

If I’m McDavid and Holla d suggests next year isn’t a going for broke year? I’m asking for a trade. Two of the top five players in the league in the prime of their careers? There should never be a year they aren’t swinging for the fences and the stupid crutch of being up against the cap and screwed by Chiarelli (as if he was the only voice in the room) is finally gone. I pray Holland doesn’t drop the ball here because if next year is another disaster, McDavid is gone and all hope is lost.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786491 is a reply to message #786486 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 21:03

If I’m McDavid and Holla d suggests next year isn’t a going for broke year? I’m asking for a trade. Two of the top five players in the league in the prime of their careers? There should never be a year they aren’t swinging for the fences and the stupid crutch of being up against the cap and screwed by Chiarelli (as if he was the only voice in the room) is finally gone. I pray Holland doesn’t drop the ball here because if next year is another disaster, McDavid is gone and all hope is lost.

I personally don't see McDavid or Drai leaving until their deals are done. To me they seem like guys that will be beating themselves up most of all with every failed year. Which is kinda sad.

All good though, they will have lots of years left once they agree to part ways with the Oilers to try something new if we keep failing.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786492 is a reply to message #786491 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 22:37

I personally don't see McDavid or Drai leaving until their deals are done. To me they seem like guys that will be beating themselves up most of all with every failed year. Which is kinda sad.

All good though, they will have lots of years left once they agree to part ways with the Oilers to try something new if we keep failing.

I’m imagining Connor with a 40, Jim Lahey style, saying 5 more years Leon, 5 more sexy years.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786493 is a reply to message #786492 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 22:41

I’m imagining Connor with a 40, Jim Lahey style, saying 5 more years Leon, 5 more sexy years.

lol. Yeah, they would probably be thankful that there was an 8 year term limit for their generation. If we still don't have a deep team in 3-4 years that is only losing because of some bad luck or injuries, I think it's gonna be clear that parting ways will be the best option for all parties. Oilers can stop being a generational joke, clearly it's never gonna happen at that point, and McDrai can pick their spots and try to hit the reset button.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786494 is a reply to message #786493 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 22:49

lol. Yeah, they would probably be thankful that there was an 8 year term limit for their generation. If we still don't have a deep team in 3-4 years that is only losing because of some bad luck or injuries, I think it's gonna be clear that parting ways will be the best option for all parties. Oilers can stop being a generational joke, clearly it's never gonna happen at that point, and McDrai can pick their spots and try to hit the reset button.

I mean, there’s got to be a point in time when Connor becomes jealous of Leon for his contract expiring one year sooner. That may cause a rift in their friendship.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4) [message #786497 is a reply to message #786494 ]
Tue, 25 May 2021 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 22:56

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 May 2021 22:49

I mean, there’s got to be a point in time when Connor becomes jealous of Leon for his contract expiring one year sooner. That may cause a rift in their friendship.

I think the good news for McDavid there might be that he is way more valuable to trade with 1 year left on his deal than at the deadline. So probably could just go that same summer :)

Ugh...Adam sparked another conversation of extreme negativity

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:No more Haaaaaas
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca