This day on December 6
Acquired: Fredrik Olausson (1993)
Departed: Geoff Smith (1993)

Happy Birthday To: Walsh86, Kurri17, RaffiTorresFan14, RaffiTime, dongretzky99, thebaron, southsideoilers

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Minors » Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey BakerPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #780889 is a reply to message #776656 ]
Wed, 24 March 2021 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Our boy now 4% back... let’s go lads, get your votes in again today!

https://www.hobeybaker.com/vote

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #780900 is a reply to message #780889 ]
Wed, 24 March 2021 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim is currently online Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 24 March 2021 08:17

He was 6% yesterday.. I've used my quota though :(

Update.. he's ahead by 0.5% !!

[Updated on: Wed, 24 March 2021 11:44]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #780902 is a reply to message #780900 ]
Wed, 24 March 2021 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 24 March 2021 11:38

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 24 March 2021 08:17

He was 6% yesterday.. I've used my quota though :(

WE’RE BACK ON TOP!!

OilersNation on twitter has been rallying the troops

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #780901 is a reply to message #780889 ]
Wed, 24 March 2021 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 24 March 2021 09:17

I don't mean to be a downer, but I find this whole encouraging Oiler fans to vote for Holloway a bit distasteful.

On one hand we endlessly mock the Toronto media for trying to say Matthews is more deserving than McDavid for the Hart, yet on the other we're being encouraged to vote for Holloway based on nothing else but the fact he's an Oiler prospect. I'm not saying Holloway isn't worthy of the award--he very well may be but I don't feel comfortable voting for him, because I have absolutely no idea. The extent of my knowledge on the situation is watching the clips of his goals that have been posted in this thread (and I've never seen anything from any of the other players he's up against)--and I have to think the vast majority of people who may vote for him based on the encouragement here are in the same boat.

Should we really feel proud if he wins the award because Oiler fans stuffed the ballot box? What kind of accomplishment is that?

Rant over--continue as you were.

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #780905 is a reply to message #780901 ]
Wed, 24 March 2021 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Wed, 24 March 2021 10:43

I don't mean to be a downer, but I find this whole encouraging Oiler fans to vote for Holloway a bit distasteful.

On one hand we endlessly mock the Toronto media for trying to say Matthews is more deserving than McDavid for the Hart, yet on the other we're being encouraged to vote for Holloway based on nothing else but the fact he's an Oiler prospect. I'm not saying Holloway isn't worthy of the award--he very well may be but I don't feel comfortable voting for him, because I have absolutely no idea. The extent of my knowledge on the situation is watching the clips of his goals that have been posted in this thread (and I've never seen anything from any of the other players he's up against)--and I have to think the vast majority of people who may vote for him based on the encouragement here are in the same boat.

Should we really feel proud if he wins the award because Oiler fans stuffed the ballot box? What kind of accomplishment is that?

NCAA knows this.. they wouldn't put the award at risk to the fan voting alone, which they don't, see my post above, regardless, once they get to the final 3, its all by selection committee.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #780907 is a reply to message #780901 ]
Wed, 24 March 2021 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

benv wrote on Wed, 24 March 2021 11:43

You're right, it wouldn't be a clean win if we stuffed the ballot box but I don't think the Oilfans.com of today has the following to relally affect things. Also, as an Oiler prospect, NHL policy forbids him from winning any individual awards and i'm sure their partnership with the NCAA specifies that.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #780913 is a reply to message #780907 ]
Wed, 24 March 2021 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 24 March 2021 11:00

You're right, it wouldn't be a clean win if we stuffed the ballot box but I don't think the Oilfans.com of today has the following to relally affect things. Also, as an Oiler prospect, NHL policy forbids him from winning any individual awards and i'm sure their partnership with the NCAA specifies that.

I would normally tend to agree with Benv on this in principle, but these fan vote awards are really nothing but popularity contests anyway. Think about it, if you didn't have a horse in the race (ie. Holloway in this case), would you even consider voting at all? Now think about the fans of the other teams with prospects nominated. Do they actually follow the league close enough to make an educated vote, or do they just vote for the player associated with their team? I bet 90% of the voting is just people voting for "their guy", not anyone actually taking an unbiased approach to their vote. So what's the difference?

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #780916 is a reply to message #780913 ]
Wed, 24 March 2021 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Wed, 24 March 2021 12:54

I would normally tend to agree with Benv on this in principle, but these fan vote awards are really nothing but popularity contests anyway. Think about it, if you didn't have a horse in the race (ie. Holloway in this case), would you even consider voting at all? Now think about the fans of the other teams with prospects nominated. Do they actually follow the league close enough to make an educated vote, or do they just vote for the player associated with their team? I bet 90% of the voting is just people voting for "their guy", not anyone actually taking an unbiased approach to their vote. So what's the difference?

I would 100% have not cast a vote if Hollsy wasn’t an option.

Can...can we call him Hollsy? Does that bring up too much pain?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #780917 is a reply to message #780916 ]
Wed, 24 March 2021 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 24 March 2021 13:02

Seconded! Motion passed!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #780922 is a reply to message #780916 ]
Wed, 24 March 2021 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 24 March 2021 12:02

I suggest not Hollsy, kid deserves a unique handle, even if he does wear #4!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #780921 is a reply to message #780907 ]
Wed, 24 March 2021 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GOLD!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #781030 is a reply to message #776656 ]
Fri, 26 March 2021 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Apparently you're allowed to vote once a day, so try voting again, should work..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #781032 is a reply to message #781030 ]
Fri, 26 March 2021 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 26 March 2021 08:57

Apparently you're allowed to vote once a day, so try voting again, should work..

Our boy Hollsy is right in it!

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #781066 is a reply to message #781032 ]
Fri, 26 March 2021 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 26 March 2021 09:26

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 26 March 2021 08:57

Our boy Hollsy is right in it!

Is this real life? Holloway leading!!!

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #781093 is a reply to message #781066 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

When does voting close? Does the fan vote determine the winner or is it simply a factor in selecting one?

Let's go Brandon!! #FJB

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #781094 is a reply to message #781093 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Sat, 27 March 2021 10:38

When does voting close? Does the fan vote determine the winner or is it simply a factor in selecting one?

Looks like April 1st.

Think this site gives a breakdown of the selection process:

https://www.hobeybaker.com/criteria

Quote:

There are four criteria against which nominees for the Hobey Baker Memorial Award are considered:

- Strength of character, on and off the ice
- Contribution to the integrity of the team and outstanding skills in all phases of the game
- Scholastic achievement and sportsmanship
- Compliance with all NCAA rules, including being a full-time student in an accredited college or university and completing 50 percent or more of the season

The selection process for the award is in three parts. First, the head coaches of NCAA Division I schools nominate the top three players in their league and the top three players in the nation. College hockey fans can also vote online at this time—and fan voting can be an important factor in the balloting outcome. Price Waterhouse Coopers tabulates the votes and the top 10 candidates are announced.

Voting then commences for the "Hobey Hat Trick," which is a narrowing of the field from ten players to three, from which the winner is selected. The primary voting in this part of the process is by the Hobey Baker Memorial Award Selection Committee, a geographically balanced group of 29 individuals representing print and electronic sports media, college hockey coaches and officials, and NHL scouts. Fans may also vote online for their favorite candidate during this phase of the process.

After the three finalists for the award are announced ("Hobey Hat Trick"), the countdown begins toward the announcement of the award winner in a nationally televised ceremony.

I feel like there is a step missing at the end, if there is an extra voting around after they go from 10 to 3 to do a new vote on the final 3, or if the winner is picked by the voting among the 10. But in any case, sounds like the fan vote is only a small part of the final selection process. Can't hurt though to support our guy!

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #781743 is a reply to message #781094 ]
Thu, 01 April 2021 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Three Hobey Baker finalists are named. Holloway not among them.

https://www.nhl.com/news/cole-caufield-among-finalists-for-h obey-baker-award/c-323149622

"Cole Caufield, a Montreal Canadiens forward prospect, was among the three finalists for the Hobey Baker Memorial Award announced Thursday.

Ottawa Senators forward prospect Shane Pinto of the University of North Dakota and goalie Dryden McKay of Minnesota State University are the other finalists for the award, presented annually to the player voted the best in NCAA Division I men's ice hockey. The winner will be announced April 9 (6 p.m. ET; NHLN)."

Re: Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker [message #782431 is a reply to message #781743 ]
Fri, 09 April 2021 16:51 Go to previous message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Caufield wins the Hobey Baker.

https://www.tsn.ca/cole-caufield-wins-hobey-baker-award-1.16 20993

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:2021 Memorial Cup Cancelled
Next Topic:M. Kesselring's Dad Interview, pretty good..
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca