Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Winnipeg to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773764 is a reply to message #773754 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

At least they got the split?

Can anyone in the North play defense?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773766 is a reply to message #773754 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Oilers still haven’t figured out it’s a 60 minute game. Weird.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773785 is a reply to message #773766 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Nah, this is just a team that seems to be content with mediocrity. No commitment by the players to doing the little things that help you win the game.

Not sure I'd keep either Khaira or Jones in the lineup again after tonight. Jones is high on try, but low on logic on a lot of his plays. Saw him throw the puck in the middle of the ice a few times that could have or did lead to odd-man rushes. Just not good decision-making.

Khaira was invisible, for the most part. That dude is done.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773787 is a reply to message #773785 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 21:53

Jones is high on try, but low on logic on a lot of his plays. Saw him throw the puck in the middle of the ice a few times that could have or did lead to odd-man rushes. Just not good decision-making.

There seems to be a hidden thinking of ‘His brother is good so he’s gotta be good’.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773809 is a reply to message #773787 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 19:55

HamBlaster wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 21:53

Jones is high on try, but low on logic on a lot of his plays. Saw him throw the puck in the middle of the ice a few times that could have or did lead to odd-man rushes. Just not good decision-making.

There seems to be a hidden thinking of ‘His brother is good so he’s gotta be good’.

kinda like Wayne and Brent Gretzky..

I don't think C. Jones is going to make it, lots of conjecture but little evidence about his exceptional abilities.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773767 is a reply to message #773754 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Just take my last message in the GDT thread and paste it here. The Oil's D gargle wet gorilla testicles and need an upgrade badly. Nurse and Bear in particular seemed to have regressed back to their junior years in terms of how they are playing in their own end, and Larsson has clearly not been the top-pairing man who will eat up minutes. Something has to be done, because even if this team somehow manages to make it back to the playoffs, they are going nowhere other than a quick exit with that blue-line group. Pure unmitigated garbage.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773774 is a reply to message #773767 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

It's not the coaches fault or the GM's fault. It's not the goalies fault or a lack of talent. It's flat out not enough guys giving an F. Starts from McD and goes all the way down. The Oilers flat out got out worked in the 3rd. I can't fault Koskinen on any of the goals. This is the NHL, the best players in the world. If you give an NHLer a wide open look from the slot 15 ft from the goal with time, I expect them to score every single time.

Case in point for effort. The 5th goal. McD was with Lowry the whole way, sort of. If you are working your ass off, you don't let him get to the goal. McD sort of had him tied up but not totally. That's flat out lack of effort.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773780 is a reply to message #773774 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 21:39

It's not the coaches fault or the GM's fault. It's not the goalies fault or a lack of talent. It's flat out not enough guys giving an F. Starts from McD and goes all the way down. The Oilers flat out got out worked in the 3rd. I can't fault Koskinen on any of the goals. This is the NHL, the best players in the world. If you give an NHLer a wide open look from the slot 15 ft from the goal with time, I expect them to score every single time.

Case in point for effort. The 5th goal. McD was with Lowry the whole way, sort of. If you are working your ass off, you don't let him get to the goal. McD sort of had him tied up but not totally. That's flat out lack of effort.

I mean...

Tippet COULD have used his timeout after Connor’s goal and not tossed Turris, Neal and Kassian over the boards. He COULD have not made 3 changes to a lineup that just won.

Holland COULD have kept Forsberg on the active roster, a 3rd goalie at least to start the season wasn't foreign around the league. This could have given Koskinen a break.

But yes. There’s not enough jam and GAF with this team.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773825 is a reply to message #773780 ]
Wed, 27 January 2021 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 20:44

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 21:39

I mean...

Tippet COULD have used his timeout after Connor’s goal and not tossed Turris, Neal and Kassian over the boards. He COULD have not made 3 changes to a lineup that just won.

Holland COULD have kept Forsberg on the active roster, a 3rd goalie at least to start the season wasn't foreign around the league. This could have given Koskinen a break.

But yes. There’s not enough jam and GAF with this team.

So the Oilers came out guns a blazing, the PP was rolling from the start, they get an early goal. Great start. They take a penalty. Shot comes in, Koskinen makes a good save, rebound comes out. There are ALL 4 OILERS around the rebound, Nuge is literally right beside Copp. Nuge, "Mr. 2 way forward" sort of half ass flips his stick at Copp. TIE UP HIS STICK. They teach that crap in Atom hockey. Here's the clip. Watch it.
https://www.nhl.com/video/copp-buries-rebound-for-ppg/t-3206 82204/c-7338980
If Nuge bears down even a little and ties up Copp's stick, the play is over. There is no goal.

The have a 3-1 lead. Turris and Yamo basically form a little triangle around Perreault. Perreault is 10 ft from their goal. A really good pass comes out, he one times it in top corner. Why is not one TYING UP HIS STICK? There was 2 guys within an arms length. That's basic defense.
https://www.nhl.com/video/perreaults-quick-one-timer/t-32068 2204/c-7339256

How are either of those the fault of Tippett not calling a time out with under 2 mins left or the Oilers not using a roster spot for a 3rd string goalie or the line up changes? Those 2 goals alone were caused but guys who would be in the line up regardless. Nuge, Turris and Yamo aren't coming out for P. Russell or Khaira. That's a fact.

If you want to blame the 3rd goal on Tippetts line up, have at it. The Jets got their second line out against the Oilers 4th line and good old Khaira was half assing it into the zone again. It was a great pass to Ehlers but still, I will give you that. Khaira has proven to me he was useless this season.

The 4th goal by Stastny was flat out the Jets out worked every Oiler on the ice. There was Kassian, Neal AND Nurse all around the puck and the only Jet Stastny got it. He out battled 3 guys with Turris AND Bear on the ice laying on a Jet somewhat interfering with Koskinen. Not one of those guys would have lost their job to the line up changes. So basically it was Stastny vs all 5 oilers and he got the goal. Not sure how not calling a time out or a 3rd string goalie not being on the roster stops that goal. https://www.nhl.com/video/stastny-puts-home-loose-puck/t-320 682204/c-7341054

5th goal. A bit fortunate as it went off Lowry's stake and in. McD mostly had him but again not totally. You can't let guys got to the goal like that. You have to bear down and stop him.
https://www.nhl.com/video/lowry-scores-goal/t-320682204/c-73 41092
Again, not a single gut out there was losing his spot to the roster spots. Not calling a time out doesn't stop that goal. A 3rd string goalie not being on the roster doesn't stop that goal.

I get what you are saying. I didn't agree with the roster changes but as I showed, all but 1 goal was scored with guys who wouldn't be taken out of the line up to give P. Russell a spot and almost all of the goals are flat out Jets out working Oilers, Oilers half assing defensive assignments and Oilers not bearing down and wanting it more. Not one of those goals did Koskinen have a chance on so while I agree in hindsight, they should have kept the 3rd stringer on the roster but those girls weren't score because of fatigue from Koskinen. They were scored because of lazy, garbage plays by vets giving Jets easy goals. If the Oilers don't get their ass kicked in the 3rd because they mailed in the 3rd, worry about calling a timeout with under 2 mins left isn't a factor what so ever.

I am personally getting sick and tired of the players on this team getting a free pass and the finger being pointed at everyone else but the guys on the ice. The Jets won that game because they flat out wanted it more than the Oilers in the 3rd. I don't care who's on the bench coaching or who's the GM, those guys can't force the players to want to do the small, crappy, not exciting hard stuff. I love McD, Nuge and Leon. I think Leon has taken MASSIVE steps to be a better defensive player, his goal is to win a selke, that's a damn good goal. But until McD and Nuge, 2 mainstays on this team decided that putting an emphasis on the little things is just as important as scoring highlight goals, this team will continue to sputter along.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773844 is a reply to message #773825 ]
Wed, 27 January 2021 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 27 January 2021 08:07

So the Oilers came out guns a blazing, the PP was rolling from the start, they get an early goal. Great start. They take a penalty. Shot comes in, Koskinen makes a good save, rebound comes out. There are ALL 4 OILERS around the rebound, Nuge is literally right beside Copp. Nuge, "Mr. 2 way forward" sort of half ass flips his stick at Copp. TIE UP HIS STICK. They teach that crap in Atom hockey. Here's the clip. Watch it.
If Nuge bears down even a little and ties up Copp's stick, the play is over. There is no goal.

The have a 3-1 lead. Turris and Yamo basically form a little triangle around Perreault. Perreault is 10 ft from their goal. A really good pass comes out, he one times it in top corner. Why is not one TYING UP HIS STICK? There was 2 guys within an arms length. That's basic defense.

How are either of those the fault of Tippett not calling a time out with under 2 mins left or the Oilers not using a roster spot for a 3rd string goalie or the line up changes? Those 2 goals alone were caused but guys who would be in the line up regardless. Nuge, Turris and Yamo aren't coming out for P. Russell or Khaira. That's a fact.

If you want to blame the 3rd goal on Tippetts line up, have at it. The Jets got their second line out against the Oilers 4th line and good old Khaira was half assing it into the zone again. It was a great pass to Ehlers but still, I will give you that. Khaira has proven to me he was useless this season.

The 4th goal by Stastny was flat out the Jets out worked every Oiler on the ice. There was Kassian, Neal AND Nurse all around the puck and the only Jet Stastny got it. He out battled 3 guys with Turris AND Bear on the ice laying on a Jet somewhat interfering with Koskinen. Not one of those guys would have lost their job to the line up changes. So basically it was Stastny vs all 5 oilers and he got the goal. Not sure how not calling a time out or a 3rd string goalie not being on the roster stops that goal. https://www.nhl.com/video/stastny-puts-home-loose-puck/t-320 682204/c-7341054

5th goal. A bit fortunate as it went off Lowry's stake and in. McD mostly had him but again not totally. You can't let guys got to the goal like that. You have to bear down and stop him.
Again, not a single gut out there was losing his spot to the roster spots. Not calling a time out doesn't stop that goal. A 3rd string goalie not being on the roster doesn't stop that goal.

I get what you are saying. I didn't agree with the roster changes but as I showed, all but 1 goal was scored with guys who wouldn't be taken out of the line up to give P. Russell a spot and almost all of the goals are flat out Jets out working Oilers, Oilers half assing defensive assignments and Oilers not bearing down and wanting it more. Not one of those goals did Koskinen have a chance on so while I agree in hindsight, they should have kept the 3rd stringer on the roster but those girls weren't score because of fatigue from Koskinen. They were scored because of lazy, garbage plays by vets giving Jets easy goals. If the Oilers don't get their ass kicked in the 3rd because they mailed in the 3rd, worry about calling a timeout with under 2 mins left isn't a factor what so ever.

I am personally getting sick and tired of the players on this team getting a free pass and the finger being pointed at everyone else but the guys on the ice. The Jets won that game because they flat out wanted it more than the Oilers in the 3rd. I don't care who's on the bench coaching or who's the GM, those guys can't force the players to want to do the small, crappy, not exciting hard stuff. I love McD, Nuge and Leon. I think Leon has taken MASSIVE steps to be a better defensive player, his goal is to win a selke, that's a damn good goal. But until McD and Nuge, 2 mainstays on this team decided that putting an emphasis on the little things is just as important as scoring highlight goals, this team will continue to sputter along.

I was pretty much right there with you right up until the last sentence. Can and should McDavid and RNH be better? For sure. But they're definitely not the reason why the Oilers are where they are today.

The Oilers overall have given up 6 more goals than they've scored (23 GF/29 GA). 5 of that difference have come at 5x5 (14 GF / 19 GA).

If we take a look at those individuals at 5x5, McDavid has been on the ice for 8 GF/5 GA. That's a GF% of 61.5%. Analytics darling Valerie Nichuskin lead the league last year (among forwards with at least 500min) at 71%, but he was a bit of an outlier. If McDavid is on the ice for one less GA, his GF% climbs to 66.7% which is basically the highest anyone not named Nichuskin was last year. So I think this is what we should really expect from McDavid for the rest of the year. He might make some mistakes defensively or look lazy on a play from time-to-time, but overall he's going to outscore any of those mistakes. It's just not realistic to project his GF% to be 80 or 90%.

At the bottom of the roster, the Oilers have guys like:

Ennis - 0 GF/4 GA
Shore - 0 GF/3 GA
Chiasson - 0 GF/3 GA
Khaira - 0 GF/3 GA
Turris - 1 GF/8 GA
Archibald - 1 GF/6 GA
Puljujarvi - 1 GF/5 GA
Kassian - 3 GF/6 GA

If the Oilers are going to turn this around, those are the numbers that need to change, not McDavid's or RNH's.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773848 is a reply to message #773844 ]
Wed, 27 January 2021 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 27 January 2021 12:36

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 27 January 2021 08:07

I was pretty much right there with you right up until the last sentence. Can and should McDavid and RNH be better? For sure. But they're definitely not the reason why the Oilers are where they are today.

The Oilers overall have given up 6 more goals than they've scored (23 GF/29 GA). 5 of that difference have come at 5x5 (14 GF / 19 GA).

If we take a look at those individuals at 5x5, McDavid has been on the ice for 8 GF/5 GA. That's a GF% of 61.5%. Analytics darling Valerie Nichuskin lead the league last year (among forwards with at least 500min) at 71%, but he was a bit of an outlier. If McDavid is on the ice for one less GA, his GF% climbs to 66.7% which is basically the highest anyone not named Nichuskin was last year. So I think this is what we should really expect from McDavid for the rest of the year. He might make some mistakes defensively or look lazy on a play from time-to-time, but overall he's going to outscore any of those mistakes. It's just not realistic to project his GF% to be 80 or 90%.

At the bottom of the roster, the Oilers have guys like:

Ennis - 0 GF/4 GA
Shore - 0 GF/3 GA
Chiasson - 0 GF/3 GA
Khaira - 0 GF/3 GA
Turris - 1 GF/8 GA
Archibald - 1 GF/6 GA
Puljujarvi - 1 GF/5 GA
Kassian - 3 GF/6 GA

If the Oilers are going to turn this around, those are the numbers that need to change, not McDavid's or RNH's.

Turris is being played like a shutdown C now. 30% OZ starts. There is no way he will be able to dig out from this hole unless he is getting McDavid's starts closer to 60%. But then...who takes those D zone starts instead? McDavid I guess? hehe.

Holland did not give Tippett the C that Tippett seemed to want. Turris will never ever be a solid defensive player. He's doomed in this role. He's a mediocre offensive player that needs sheltered ice time to not be a liability.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 January 2021 13:07]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773852 is a reply to message #773848 ]
Wed, 27 January 2021 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 27 January 2021 13:04

Turris is being played like a shutdown C now. 30% OZ starts. There is no way he will be able to dig out from this hole unless he is getting McDavid's starts closer to 60%. But then...who takes those D zone starts instead? McDavid I guess? hehe.

Holland did not give Tippett the C that Tippett seemed to want. Turris will never ever be a solid defensive player. He's doomed in this role. He's a mediocre offensive player that needs sheltered ice time to not be a liability.

Worth noting too - McDavid and Draisaitl get all the tough matchups against the best players in the game and they're winning the battle there. Will they get scored on sometimes? Yes. Everyone does, and it's an easy story for chimps like Mark Spector to say they need to play a "200-foot game" because a check eluded them and scored, even though they're clearly putting up numbers well beyond what they're giving up.

The flip side of that is that our third and fourth lines are being eaten alive by third and fourth liners...that's a major problem. The stars are outscoring the opposition and keeping us in games, and the depth players are losing it for us.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773854 is a reply to message #773852 ]
Wed, 27 January 2021 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 27 January 2021 13:16

Worth noting too - McDavid and Draisaitl get all the tough matchups against the best players in the game and they're winning the battle there. Will they get scored on sometimes? Yes. Everyone does, and it's an easy story for chimps like Mark Spector to say they need to play a "200-foot game" because a check eluded them and scored, even though they're clearly putting up numbers well beyond what they're giving up.

The flip side of that is that our third and fourth lines are being eaten alive by third and fourth liners...that's a major problem. The stars are outscoring the opposition and keeping us in games, and the depth players are losing it for us.

With those D zone starts though, you get in bad situations when the other team is putting good guys out. Tippett has just had to accept this happening, he can't play McDavid and Drai every shift. Turris has 3 GA's against Ehlers. 2 against Tatar/Gallagher. Other 3 were against 3rd line quality guys, like Perrault, Sutter, Roussel, MacEwan, Beagle.

Any coach that wants to win should be very afraid of a guy like Turris having to play C against good offensive guys. We just have no choice but to let it happen a bunch of times every game. Even sending him out for a D zone faceoff against them. Turris should probably be a winger right now if he was on an actual good team.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 January 2021 13:26]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773857 is a reply to message #773854 ]
Wed, 27 January 2021 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 27 January 2021 12:20

With those D zone starts though, you get in bad situations when the other team is putting good guys out. Tippett has just had to accept this happening, he can't play McDavid and Drai every shift. Turris has 3 GA's against Ehlers. 2 against Tatar/Gallagher. Other 3 were against 3rd line quality guys, like Perrault, Sutter, Roussel, MacEwan, Beagle.

Any coach that wants to win should be very afraid of a guy like Turris having to play C against good offensive guys. We just have no choice but to let it happen a bunch of times every game. Even sending him out for a D zone faceoff against them. Turris should probably be a winger right now if he was on an actual good team.

I think the thing that makes me the most nervous is that the Draisaitl line has been killing it in terms of 5x5 GF% (Drai is 8 GF / 1 GA). At some point that is going to correct, and if something else doesn't shift at the same time, this team could lose 5 in a row.

The bottom 6 issues are nothing new. I think a lot of it was covered up by how good the special teams were last year, which is the one thing that gives me some hope. The PP that was one of the best ever last year and is a bit below average so far this year. The Oilers have actually given up 1 more PP goal than they've scored. I don't expect that will hold, but I don't know enough about tactics to know if they're doing something fundamentally different than they were last year or if they just miss Klefbom that much and Barrie hasn't fit well on the unit, or if it's just bad luck so far.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773860 is a reply to message #773857 ]
Wed, 27 January 2021 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 27 January 2021 14:49

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 27 January 2021 12:20

I think the thing that makes me the most nervous is that the Draisaitl line has been killing it in terms of 5x5 GF% (Drai is 8 GF / 1 GA). At some point that is going to correct, and if something else doesn't shift at the same time, this team could lose 5 in a row.

The bottom 6 issues are nothing new. I think a lot of it was covered up by how good the special teams were last year, which is the one thing that gives me some hope. The PP that was one of the best ever last year and is a bit below average so far this year. The Oilers have actually given up 1 more PP goal than they've scored. I don't expect that will hold, but I don't know enough about tactics to know if they're doing something fundamentally different than they were last year or if they just miss Klefbom that much and Barrie hasn't fit well on the unit, or if it's just bad luck so far.

My read is that it's a little of all of the above. The passing has not been as crisp with Barrie back there and there's been more errors. Teams are generally trying to attack the Oilers fairly aggressively as opposed to a tighter box - there's definitely some adjustments that teams have made to try to take away some of what we were doing last year. There's been much less opportunities where Draisaitl gets off the one-timer from the face-off circle so far.

But all that said, I think they have still been generating chances and probably deserved better than they've got in several games. The Carey Price game stands out as one where the PP probably should have had at least a couple.

It does seem to be starting to find it's legs, so I do think we're going to see it improve here - hopefully that off-sets a little of the correction when Draisaitl's line isn't scoring 83% of the goal share...

The worst thing for the Oilers is that it's not that the 3rd and 4th lines have been unlucky. They aren't getting much for quality opportunities, while allowing lots from the other team. It does sometimes feel like for the last however many years that they Oilers as an organization seem to think they can just rely entirely on top line production and have the bottom half of the roster just hang on by their fingernails and hope for the best.

I will say, I think the 3rd line has been improved having Kassian down there. It's a start anyhow. Now, 3-4 more live bodies and we may be okay...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773770 is a reply to message #773754 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

I said it earlier. I’ll say it again. Keep splitting series and you won’t be playing past 56 games this year.

Let’s change the lineup, it worked well to nullify a win streak so in theory it should result in a win next game.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773775 is a reply to message #773770 ]
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

Sitting SLATER and keeping BARRY... another TIPPETT mystery IMHO. confused2

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773778 is a reply to message #773775 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

watchman wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 20:39

Sitting SLATER and keeping BARRY... another TIPPETT mystery IMHO. confused2

Right-shot versus left-shot, so that's not much of a mystery - the two of them aren't likely to sub in and out for each other.

That defence needs some work though. That 3rd Jets goal was almost comical. What the hell was Russell doing there? And then Barrie turns backwards to the play and just tries to flail in the way.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773773 is a reply to message #773754 ]

6 Cups

I knew they should have scored 9.

That sucked.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773776 is a reply to message #773754 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

2 W's in a row was obviously impossible. But, need to find a way to turn these L's into OTL's. Only path to .500 = W OTL W

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773779 is a reply to message #773776 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

the PK didn't help either... icon_thumbdown

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773781 is a reply to message #773776 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

It's seeming more and more that this team needs to catch another squad on the second game of a back to back to win. They aren't good enough to beat a rested squad.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773783 is a reply to message #773781 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 21:44

It's seeming more and more that this team needs to catch another squad on the second game of a back to back to win. They aren't good enough to beat a rested squad.

3rd game in 4 nights for the jets!

It was a case of getting the bounces in the first period and then hanging the jocks up in the intermission and forgetting to put them back on.

There’s 2 Hart winners on the roster... but there’s next to no HEART on the ice with this team.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773784 is a reply to message #773754 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Pretty disappointing to blow a 2 goal lead like that. Hellybuck looked vulnerable tonight and the Oil managed about 25 shots.

Tinkering with a lineup that got you a win was mystifying. The Oilers looked like the keystone kops in their own zone when Wpg started bearing down a bit.

When was the last time the Oilers outworked an opponent for 60 minutes to win a game? Anyone?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773786 is a reply to message #773784 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 21:52

When was the last time the Oilers outworked an opponent for 60 minutes to win a game? Anyone?

Late 90’s/early 2000’s. Those teams worked.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773788 is a reply to message #773786 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 20:54

2006 playoffs.

All downhill from there! Well, with the odd little bump thanks to the lottery.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773814 is a reply to message #773788 ]
Wed, 27 January 2021 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 20:59

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 20:54

2006 playoffs.

All downhill from there! Well, with the odd little bump thanks to the lottery.

Those teams didn't win all the time, but the opponents knew they had played a damn hockey game and had to play well to beat the Oilers. I don't remember being as disappointed a happens with this team, probably because this team has 2 of the world's best players and still stinks more often than not.

The 2 best players in the league aren't ever going to win a Cup until they and their teammates work harder than opponents regularly. Where would this team be without the usual suspects that produce, and that production pretty much on the PP? The bottom six and most of the D on this team are a joke so far. No energy.

Bottom 6 has to step up and start bringing it, they're leaking big goals against. I don't know where the hell they go with the D this year, underwhelming to a man, and costing hockey games. Unpredictable whether the starter is going to make a big stop and bail the team out. Top 2 lines I guess have to play their minutes with urgency because the season is going to be pretty much totally on them.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773789 is a reply to message #773754 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Tippett said his top guys were too tired.

So, instead of resting them for 40 or so seconds with a timeout and maybe intentionally failing the first draw. He let them rest for 40 seconds as we watch Turris's line go around, and then make an opening for an ENG as we tried to swap all our players.

genius

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773793 is a reply to message #773789 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 22:07

Tippett said his top guys were too tired.

So, instead of resting them for 40 or so seconds with a timeout and maybe intentionally failing the first draw. He let them rest for 40 seconds as we watch Turris's line go around, and then make an opening for an ENG as we tried to swap all our players.

genius

Also said they call the timeout there the guys are out for a full 2 minutes, which is a long time.

No. No Tipp. They wouldn’t have been. At most, it was going to be 1:50 icon_lol but really, you call the timeout to have the opportunity to have them out there with as much time as you can.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773794 is a reply to message #773754 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

This is not a playoff. And it’s not the GM’s fault.

It’s clearly the fault of the CEO and vice-chairman of the Oilers Entertainment Group.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773795 is a reply to message #773794 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 21:20

It’s clearly the fault of the CEO and vice-chairman of the Oilers Entertainment Group.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!

Good news is there are great D prospects at the top of the 2021 draft!

Just 1 more... that'll be what turns this around.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773856 is a reply to message #773795 ]
Wed, 27 January 2021 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

TIPPETT makes the lineup decisions... for a long time he hasn't been able to identify how to use his players effectively...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773798 is a reply to message #773794 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!

I'd be happy to see them clean house still. I do believe that keeping Lowe around just creates bad mojo for the team. Bob Nicholson too. Get rid of them, and see if that doesn't just rid us of the curse.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773802 is a reply to message #773798 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 21:37

PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!

I'd be happy to see them clean house still. I do believe that keeping Lowe around just creates bad mojo for the team. Bob Nicholson too. Get rid of them, and see if that doesn't just rid us of the curse.

Nicholson should have been fired out a a cannon the day after Chiarelli was fired.

You don’t have to be a genius to hire Holland. Gretzky could have done that ffs. Without feeling the need to canvass other GM’s in Florida who he would be a good GM for the Oilers. And then be all, “look at me doing smart things” afterwards. Dude is friggin clueless. He truly is. KLowes next fall guy. Human meat shield.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773838 is a reply to message #773802 ]
Wed, 27 January 2021 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 21:46

PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!

Nicholson should have been fired out a a cannon the day after Chiarelli was fired.

You don’t have to be a genius to hire Holland. Gretzky could have done that ffs. Without feeling the need to canvass other GM’s in Florida who he would be a good GM for the Oilers. And then be all, “look at me doing smart things” afterwards. Dude is friggin clueless. He truly is. KLowes next fall guy. Human meat shield.

I think he's another drinking buddy. Like Wayne, I don't think it's advisable to interview Bob Nicholson after the first period.

These guys sure aren't very good value for the money Katz is paying them. They've delivered a whole lot of failure, and managed to insulate themselves because they're supposedly not just hockey operations people now...not that the business was doing that great. They had declining revenue, burned through a wait list that looked impossibly long at one point, lost sponsorships...Everything they touch turns to crap.

I do think that Lowe and Nicholson leaving the organization would make the Oilers better immediately. They cast a dark cloud over the whole team and organization.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773805 is a reply to message #773798 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!

Like Klowe isn’t right there at every meeting these days anyways. Maybe just a face on zoom but it isn’t like the “non-hockey” side of the business is booming.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773800 is a reply to message #773754 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Gregor asked 97 if there was any conversation about the lack of a time out. What was the strategy there to keep going.

Connor paused then said aaahh....it’s not his field...you gotta ask someone else there. Then he briefly stated that Kass, Neal and Turr were going all night. It was brief.

I didn’t sense he was impressed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773801 is a reply to message #773800 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 22:39

Gregor asked 97 if there was any conversation about the lack of a time out. What was the strategy there to keep going.

Connor paused then said aaahh....it’s not his field...you gotta ask someone else there. Then he briefly stated that Kass, Neal and Turr were going all night. It was brief.

He shouldn’t be impressed. Guarantee he wanted to stay out after that goal. But, coach didn’t want them out there for a full 2 minutes after a timeout. I can get why Tipp and co decided against it, but I don’t agree with it.

I also don’t think Tipp and Co should be canned.

But for the love of all things Musty, stop trying to inject guys who do NOTHING.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8) [message #773803 is a reply to message #773801 ]
Tue, 26 January 2021 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 21:41

g2k wrote on Tue, 26 January 2021 22:39

He shouldn’t be impressed. Guarantee he wanted to stay out after that goal. But, coach didn’t want them out there for a full 2 minutes after a timeout. I can get why Tipp and co decided against it, but I don’t agree with it.

What puzzles me is how many times in the past have we seen 97 on the ice for entire powerplays? Quite often. It’s not ideal, but this situation was the end of a 1 goal game after a huge possible momentum changing goal.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #8)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca