This day on August 15
Acquired: Ken Solheim (1985)

Happy Birthday To: Oilforever, Smytty97, recon929, OvenChicken8

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764125 is a reply to message #764122 ]
Wed, 29 July 2020 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 29 July 2020 15:22

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 28 July 2020 22:21

Do the Jets fans get to enjoy hearing Cassie praise the Lames (that her husband works for) from her insurance salesman desk? I pity them if they do.

Her take on the goalie interference was embarrassing. Set your bias aside for a second Cassie.

You rarely see Ron MacLean so clearly contradicting a panelist as there.

I do wonder if there's anyone on any CBC broadcast who's so clearly an Oilers homer that it drives other fans wild and we just don't notice because they're aligned with our views? I really can't think of anyone though, and the Oilers regularly have hired commentators who actively dislike the team like Jim Peplinski and Drew Remenda (who's name temporarily slipped my mind, but if you google "Worst Oilers Color Commentator", Google takes you to his Wikipedia page as the first hit...)

Cassie is abysmal, even if you were a Flame fan her "analysis" is like finger nails on a chalk board. Then McLean constantly feeling the need to compliment her every time she says something, like his approval will provide her some level of legitimacy.
I know they are going for diversity, but there has to be another woman out there sharper than her. When they use her for colour on a broadcast its time for the mute.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764141 is a reply to message #764122 ]
Wed, 29 July 2020 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 29 July 2020 16:22

Do the Jets fans get to enjoy hearing Cassie praise the Lames (that her husband works for) from her insurance salesman desk? I pity them if they do.

Her take on the goalie interference was embarrassing. Set your bias aside for a second Cassie.

I do wonder if there's anyone on any CBC broadcast who's so clearly an Oilers homer that it drives other fans wild and we just don't notice because they're aligned with our views? I really can't think of anyone though, and the Oilers regularly have hired commentators who actively dislike the team like Jim Peplinski and Drew Remenda (who's name temporarily slipped my mind, but if you google "Worst Oilers Color Commentator", Google takes you to his Wikipedia page as the first hit...)

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=180131&pa ge=29

Flamers seem to have a hate on for Ron MacLean labelling him an “Oilers homer”. Turns out both teams played the game last night with a bit more jam like Oscargasm and I had suggested rather than just “skating hard” and no one was hurt or suspended...go figure icon_rolleyes

Notes from last night:
-Both goalies looked solid but I’d give Koskinen the start game 1. More economical in his movements and less spastic
-Broberg settled in nicely, hard to be noticed positively as a dman unless it’s offensively but hard to have a conversation better defensive highlight than clearing it off the line then sprawling out to make a save
-Good start for the boys but lackadaisical 2nd and 3rd was a bit concerning
-Cassie Campbell is terrible, wish execs could realize this instead of just jamming it down our throats cuz she’s a chick. No problem with women commentators as long as they’re insightful and entertaining
-Haven’t been impressed with Anthenasiou at all this far. Not because he’s not putting up point but he just seems disengaged and a guy who plays for the paycheque rather than passion of the game. Speed to burn yet accomplished nothing out there, perimeter player with no drive. Given the acquisition cost (two 2nds) and the salary he will likely demand (rough $3mil I think) plus having to potentially protect him in the expansion draft not thrilled with the trade so far but hopefully he proves me wrong

[Updated on: Wed, 29 July 2020 21:45]

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764186 is a reply to message #764141 ]
Thu, 30 July 2020 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Wed, 29 July 2020 20:33

Flamers seem to have a hate on for Ron MacLean labelling him an “Oilers homer”. Turns out both teams played the game last night with a bit more jam like Oscargasm and I had suggested rather than just “skating hard” and no one was hurt or suspended...go figure icon_rolleyes

Notes from last night:
-Both goalies looked solid but I’d give Koskinen the start game 1. More economical in his movements and less spastic
-Broberg settled in nicely, hard to be noticed positively as a dman unless it’s offensively but hard to have a conversation better defensive highlight than clearing it off the line then sprawling out to make a save
-Cassie Campbell is terrible, wish execs could realize this instead of just jamming it down our throats cuz she’s a chick. No problem with women commentators as long as they’re insightful and entertaining
-Haven’t been impressed with Anthenasiou at all this far. Not because he’s not putting up point but he just seems disengaged and a guy who plays for the paycheque rather than passion of the game. Speed to burn yet accomplished nothing out there, perimeter player with no drive. Given the acquisition cost (two 2nds) and the salary he will likely demand (rough $3mil I think) plus having to potentially protect him in the expansion draft not thrilled with the trade so far but hopefully he proves me wrong

Athanasiou is playing with scrubs on the fourth line - you can't expect that he's going to have a huge impact scoring wise with them, especially playing only 10 minutes as he did Tuesday.

He did come to the defence of a teammate in a scrum, and had 3 shots on goal. I don't think you should anticipate him doing much more than that in such limited time. Only Patrick Russell played less time.

And I know Russell scored 1-1-2 and also had 3 shots, but that's not what you expect of guys playing tiny minutes. Hard to stay in the rhythm of the game when you only get on the ice every five minutes or so.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764191 is a reply to message #764186 ]
Thu, 30 July 2020 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 30 July 2020 12:09

Gator21 wrote on Wed, 29 July 2020 20:33

Notes from last night:

Athanasiou is playing with scrubs on the fourth line - you can't expect that he's going to have a huge impact scoring wise with them, especially playing only 10 minutes as he did Tuesday.

He did come to the defence of a teammate in a scrum, and had 3 shots on goal. I don't think you should anticipate him doing much more than that in such limited time. Only Patrick Russell played less time.

And I know Russell scored 1-1-2 and also had 3 shots, but that's not what you expect of guys playing tiny minutes. Hard to stay in the rhythm of the game when you only get on the ice every five minutes or so.

I’d like to add Russell’s goal was generated from a fluke bounce and his assist came from feeding 97 near centre ice.

I said it earlier, I truly think AA is getting Yak’d. He’s got the speed to play with 97, sure he seems to have lacked the compete since arriving, but he hasn’t had a fair shake with Connor. I could be wrong, but when he came over we were without Kassian ya? Has he actually lined up with Connor and Kass yet? Obvy not privy to behind the doors stuff but it’s curious as to why he’s had next to no chance at that spot.

I trust Tipp, he’s done well with the group. I trust his staff too, I mean just look what Gully and Playfair have done with the team this year. It just seems like this camp and exhibition game would have been the perfect opportunity to get on ice chem between Athanasiou and McDavid but was ignored as the message seems to be we want Nuge with McDavid. I dunno. It just seems so logical to keep Nuge with Drai and Yam (the line that tore up the league) while getting AA and Connor to gel.

AA’s defense of Connor Tuesday night showed me a lot. He peeled back to go out of his way to get Anderson off of Connor. Love to see it. From 08-15 we had maybe 7 players in total who would have done that? Okay maybe that’s an exaggeration but you get my point, I hope.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764206 is a reply to message #764191 ]
Thu, 30 July 2020 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 30 July 2020 15:59

I’d like to add Russell’s goal was generated from a fluke bounce and his assist came from feeding 97 near centre ice.

I said it earlier, I truly think AA is getting Yak’d. He’s got the speed to play with 97, sure he seems to have lacked the compete since arriving, but he hasn’t had a fair shake with Connor. I could be wrong, but when he came over we were without Kassian ya? Has he actually lined up with Connor and Kass yet? Obvy not privy to behind the doors stuff but it’s curious as to why he’s had next to no chance at that spot.

I trust Tipp, he’s done well with the group. I trust his staff too, I mean just look what Gully and Playfair have done with the team this year. It just seems like this camp and exhibition game would have been the perfect opportunity to get on ice chem between Athanasiou and McDavid but was ignored as the message seems to be we want Nuge with McDavid. I dunno. It just seems so logical to keep Nuge with Drai and Yam (the line that tore up the league) while getting AA and Connor to gel.

AA’s defense of Connor Tuesday night showed me a lot. He peeled back to go out of his way to get Anderson off of Connor. Love to see it. From 08-15 we had maybe 7 players in total who would have done that? Okay maybe that’s an exaggeration but you get my point, I hope.

I hate the argument that a guy doesn't LOOK like he's trying that hard. It is too similar to the old scouts in Moneyball crooning over how nice someone's swing looks, and Billy Beane asking why he doesn't hit more then.

We've seen that same argument so many times with talented players in Edmonton - usually either enigmatic wingers, or non-physical defencemen, and it's cost us, because we don't play guys in positions to be successful and then they leave and we get pennies on the dollar.

"Enigmatic" wingers who Oilers media has at times hated on:

Kent Nilsson
Peter Klima
Miro Satan
Ray Whitney
Mariusz Czerkawski
Dustin Penner
Benoit Pouliot
Teddy Purcell

I'm sure I've missed several. Purcell and Pouliot didn't do much after they left, but almost everyone else did - and many we got pennies on the dollar for the deal. The Satan for Moore and Millar deal is among the worst Sather ever did (although to be fair, Ron Low wouldn't play him), and the Whitney deal...ugh. We sent him away on waivers and he scored just under 1000 points after that. We instead played at left wing - Smyth, McAmmond, Rem Murray, Joe Hulbig, Steve Kelly, Mike Watt, Bill Huard (for 30 games that year with 1 assist) - and sent Whitney away after just 9 games.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764209 is a reply to message #764206 ]
Thu, 30 July 2020 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Ales Hemsky
Taylor Hall
Leon Draisatl

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764230 is a reply to message #764206 ]
Fri, 31 July 2020 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 30 July 2020 17:36

I hate the argument that a guy doesn't LOOK like he's trying that hard. It is too similar to the old scouts in Moneyball crooning over how nice someone's swing looks, and Billy Beane asking why he doesn't hit more then.

We've seen that same argument so many times with talented players in Edmonton - usually either enigmatic wingers, or non-physical defencemen, and it's cost us, because we don't play guys in positions to be successful and then they leave and we get pennies on the dollar.

Kent Nilsson
Peter Klima
Miro Satan
Ray Whitney
Mariusz Czerkawski
Dustin Penner
Benoit Pouliot
Teddy Purcell

I'm sure I've missed several. Purcell and Pouliot didn't do much after they left, but almost everyone else did - and many we got pennies on the dollar for the deal. The Satan for Moore and Millar deal is among the worst Sather ever did (although to be fair, Ron Low wouldn't play him), and the Whitney deal...ugh. We sent him away on waivers and he scored just under 1000 points after that. We instead played at left wing - Smyth, McAmmond, Rem Murray, Joe Hulbig, Steve Kelly, Mike Watt, Bill Huard (for 30 games that year with 1 assist) - and sent Whitney away after just 9 games.

If I'm being honest, I don't notice AA enough to make him a whipping boy. I don't know if he has what it takes.

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764241 is a reply to message #764230 ]
Fri, 31 July 2020 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 31 July 2020 00:58

Kent Nilsson
Peter Klima
Miro Satan
Ray Whitney
Mariusz Czerkawski
Dustin Penner
Benoit Pouliot
Teddy Purcell

If I'm being honest, I don't notice AA enough to make him a whipping boy. I don't know if he has what it takes.

He scored 30 goals in the nhl. I’ll give him at least until we see how next season goes before I pass judgement.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764261 is a reply to message #764241 ]
Fri, 31 July 2020 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 31 July 2020 09:24

Kent Nilsson
Peter Klima
Miro Satan
Ray Whitney
Mariusz Czerkawski
Dustin Penner
Benoit Pouliot
Teddy Purcell

He scored 30 goals in the nhl. I’ll give him at least until we see how next season goes before I pass judgement.

Might not get that chance. He is an RFA making 3.0 Mill right now. I dont even know if the Oilers will qualify him given his current salary. 3Mill is 2 players that can bring the same as what AA has shown this season and the team will need quite a few of those cheap players going forward.
The only other option is likely lower AAV and some term which brings different risks.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764263 is a reply to message #764261 ]
Fri, 31 July 2020 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 31 July 2020 11:31

Kent Nilsson
Peter Klima
Miro Satan
Ray Whitney
Mariusz Czerkawski
Dustin Penner
Benoit Pouliot
Teddy Purcell

Might not get that chance. He is an RFA making 3.0 Mill right now. I dont even know if the Oilers will qualify him given his current salary. 3Mill is 2 players that can bring the same as what AA has shown this season and the team will need quite a few of those cheap players going forward.
The only other option is likely lower AAV and some term which brings different risks.

Can you get two 15 goal scorers for $1.5MM each? That seems unlikely.

I do hope we get to see Athanasiou up the lineup at some point. It just seems a massive waste to spend the draft picks getting him and then play him 10 minutes a game with plugs on the 4th line.

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764264 is a reply to message #764263 ]
Fri, 31 July 2020 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 31 July 2020 11:45

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 31 July 2020 11:31

Kent Nilsson
Peter Klima
Miro Satan
Ray Whitney
Mariusz Czerkawski
Dustin Penner
Benoit Pouliot
Teddy Purcell

Can you get two 15 goal scorers for $1.5MM each? That seems unlikely.

I do hope we get to see Athanasiou up the lineup at some point. It just seems a massive waste to spend the draft picks getting him and then play him 10 minutes a game with plugs on the 4th line.

fair point on the 2- 15 goal scorers but there are a couple of points.
- With the top heavy nature of the roster there is only so much room for guys making 3+. The team needs a full roster and it gets tough when you have multiple players making 2-5 that arent major contributors
- your assumption is that he is a 30 goal guy again or at least will be given a full(ish) top 6 role.

I like AA and would love to see him get an extended chance to prove himself up the lineup. I just think that with his limited audition then the break, then the playoffs it might not be enough to earn him a chance next season.
The good news is that I do trust Holland to know the player better than most and know if there is a chance he is a 30 goal guy again or not.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764266 is a reply to message #764264 ]
Fri, 31 July 2020 12:57 Go to previous message

3 Cups

I’m sure some will disagree but I’d take AA in the top 6 over Kassian

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764086 is a reply to message #764055 ]
Tue, 28 July 2020 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

1 Cup

This Koskanen starting narrative feels like it’s coming out of nowhere. I always assumed/heard Smith.

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764088 is a reply to message #764086 ]
Tue, 28 July 2020 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Tue, 28 July 2020 22:25

This Koskanen starting narrative feels like it’s coming out of nowhere. I always assumed/heard Smith.

Had a better camp by all accounts. Smith was also in net for scrimmages where he let in 7 and 5.

Think Koskinen is the man for Saturday and likely till/if he struggles.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764091 is a reply to message #764055 ]
Tue, 28 July 2020 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PATTY RUSSELL!! Dude battles all season to not score, to now score in the exhibition game only for it to not count.

McDavid ALSO!!! That was pure filth, no look snipe.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 July 2020 23:01]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764092 is a reply to message #764091 ]
Tue, 28 July 2020 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

The sun has risen over here on the restart of the hockey season....

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764093 is a reply to message #764091 ]
Tue, 28 July 2020 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 28 July 2020 22:57

PATTY RUSSELL!! Dude battles all season to not score, to now score in the exhibition game only for it to not count.

McDavid ALSO!!! That was pure filth, no look snipe.

P.Russell with the cup winning goal, in Edmonton, versus the Leafs.

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764094 is a reply to message #764055 ]
Tue, 28 July 2020 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Decent game. Typical thing where we just stop playing with a 2 goal lead. Can't believe the lames give that AHLer Rinaldo a roster spot. Sam Bennett is terrible at hockey, he doesn't deserve to wear that beard and mustache. All he does it run around trying to throw late hits. Does Looch's nose ever stop bleeding?

I'm thinking Nuge needs to be back on Drai's line. Wish Tippett just left that alone. Let McDavid elevate a couple wingers and blow the doors off with individual efforts. Let Drai's line consistently wreck teams with the 3 man unit with good chemistry with every guy contributing.

Bottom 2 lines did next to nothing. Gonna be really important that we have the top 2 lines keeping up the pressure.

Broberg was ok, nice save. Stats say he was dominated pretty handily with 0 scoring chances for, and 10 against (0-5 high danger chances). Not sure if that was just because if the forwards he we out with that couldn't really get anything going in the offensive zone. Honestly bummed that Bouchard wasn't able to take advantage of this opportunity with RHD Green not joining the team. Oh well, glad Broberg stepped up.

I think I would go with Kostko in game 1. He looked pretty solid, even catching stuff with his glove!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764095 is a reply to message #764094 ]
Tue, 28 July 2020 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 28 July 2020 23:29

Decent game. Typical thing where we just stop playing with a 2 goal lead. Can't believe the lames give that AHLer Rinaldo a roster spot. Sam Bennett is terrible at hockey, he doesn't deserve to wear that beard and mustache. All he does it run around trying to throw late hits. Does Looch's nose ever stop bleeding?

I'm thinking Nuge needs to be back on Drai's line. Wish Tippett just left that alone. Let McDavid elevate a couple wingers and blow the doors off with individual efforts. Let Drai's line consistently wreck teams with the 3 man unit with good chemistry with every guy contributing.

Bottom 2 lines did next to nothing. Gonna be really important that we have the top 2 lines keeping up the pressure.

Broberg was ok, nice save. Stats say he was dominated pretty handily with 0 scoring chances for, and 10 against (0-5 high danger chances). Not sure if that was just because if the forwards he we out with that couldn't really get anything going in the offensive zone. Honestly bummed that Bouchard wasn't able to take advantage of this opportunity with RHD Green not joining the team. Oh well, glad Broberg stepped up.

I think I would go with Kostko in game 1. He looked pretty solid, even catching stuff with his glove!

The thing for me was that the push back they produced is something we should expect from the Hawks, this turned into the perfect game for a tune up for the series in that sense. We can iron out a few more wrinkles between now and then and yeah the stats are not in Broberg's favour, but he didn't look to lost when out on the ice after the first few shifts. I think perhaps he's season away from being really ready, but like Bouchard I don't think either will let us down if called upon this post season.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764123 is a reply to message #764094 ]
Wed, 29 July 2020 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 28 July 2020 23:29

I do worry a little bit that the Oilers may now like Broberg better now because A) he's a little more flashier (which isn't always best in a defenceman), and B) because he's the pick of the current administration, while Bouchard was the prior management's pick. Bouchard had a pretty impressive rookie campaign in the AHL this year with 36 points in 52 games. He was the 11th highest scoring rookie in the league and the 3rd highest scoring defenceman (one of the other two he beat on points per game too). He was also on a pretty crappy team - the Condors went 21-27-8 and had only one player with more points than Bouchard, so all in all - that shows some promise.

With Jones getting healthy again, I can't see how you bring in either of those guys unless you're at least two defencemen down, and then I think you have to take side in to account to at least some extent. Playing a 19-year old rookie on his off-side isn't a great idea, nor is playing him with Kris Russell on HIS off-side.

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764100 is a reply to message #764055 ]
Wed, 29 July 2020 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Just weird not having the crowd there, I'd be interested in what the players say, because they must feel it a lot. Couple things in this game, I was kind of surprised at the crispness in the Oilers game, in their moving the puck....not perfect but sharper than I thought it would be. Also both Koski and Smith played well. No one really stood out on D for me.

I agree with Kr55 that I'd rather see RNH with LD and Yams. We'll probably see that eventually here. If the Oilers ever find a guy who is a lock alongside Connor and Kassian 5x5, allowing that '2nd line' to stay together, plan the parade. Maybe Nuge clicks there, I mean that line isn't terrible....but the sum of the top 2 lines is greater with NDY line together. Connor can pretty much single handedly tear the hearts out of other teams 5x5 though, you think you have him locked down, then he just shanks you while staring you in the eye in a couple dominant shifts (not even whole shifts, but 10 second segments of a shift) that seal the deal. He's an assassin.

Power play...hope the refs put the Oil on the PP throughout this, it's an edge.

Leia also made a good point about the Oilers not just rolling here and dummying Cowtown for the duration. Some adversity for about 20 minutes of the game was a good prescription along with the win, and relative lack of social distancing between the Oilers and the Flames.

Finally, I don't know what Winnipeg looks like as far as their play, but if Calgary's game doesn't dial up considerably from this, they'll be done in 3. All Calgary's guys who were going on and on about chips on shoulders and things to prove after last year's playoff debacle were pretty much absent in real terms in the tune up. It looks good on them.

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764124 is a reply to message #764100 ]
Wed, 29 July 2020 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 29 July 2020 03:15

Just weird not having the crowd there, I'd be interested in what the players say, because they must feel it a lot. Couple things in this game, I was kind of surprised at the crispness in the Oilers game, in their moving the puck....not perfect but sharper than I thought it would be. Also both Koski and Smith played well. No one really stood out on D for me.

I agree with Kr55 that I'd rather see RNH with LD and Yams. We'll probably see that eventually here. If the Oilers ever find a guy who is a lock alongside Connor and Kassian 5x5, allowing that '2nd line' to stay together, plan the parade. Maybe Nuge clicks there, I mean that line isn't terrible....but the sum of the top 2 lines is greater with NDY line together. Connor can pretty much single handedly tear the hearts out of other teams 5x5 though, you think you have him locked down, then he just shanks you while staring you in the eye in a couple dominant shifts (not even whole shifts, but 10 second segments of a shift) that seal the deal. He's an assassin.

Power play...hope the refs put the Oil on the PP throughout this, it's an edge.

Leia also made a good point about the Oilers not just rolling here and dummying Cowtown for the duration. Some adversity for about 20 minutes of the game was a good prescription along with the win, and relative lack of social distancing between the Oilers and the Flames.

Finally, I don't know what Winnipeg looks like as far as their play, but if Calgary's game doesn't dial up considerably from this, they'll be done in 3. All Calgary's guys who were going on and on about chips on shoulders and things to prove after last year's playoff debacle were pretty much absent in real terms in the tune up. It looks good on them.

I still wouldn't mind a little Athanasiou with McDavid. I never understand why the Oilers get these guys and then if they don't have a hat trick after the first game, they switch away from it quickly. We saw it with Ryan Strome - one or two exhibition games and then never again. We saw it with Ty Rattie - really strong performance at the end of the one season, and then not a sniff the following year. We saw it with Puljujarvi and Yakupov - their scoring spiked playing with McDavid, but they never got more than a short stint there. They gave up a not insignificant price for Athanasiou, so why did he go so quickly to the coach's doghouse?

Why not ride the experiment out a little ways before throwing in the towel on it? Athanasiou has the speed to keep up with McDavid, so put him with Kassian on the other side to stir it up a little? I think it would be worth a longer audition at least, and it would make decisions a little easier this summer if we saw what he could do up there, as opposed to buried on the fourth line.

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764103 is a reply to message #764055 ]
Wed, 29 July 2020 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Smith has the obvious edge in playoff experience, but both guys played well last night. Koski was a bit sharper, but some of that could be attributed to him prepping for the start and Smith sitting for a half hour before getting in. Koski definitely was the more sharp goalie throughout camp and I think I roll him Saturday.

On defense, a few things stood out. Yes, Broberg looked like a rookie his first few shifts but he seemed to have calmed down into it and made two huge blocks/saves. Good on Tipp and Co to get him some game time. I think Bear was great and Lars was steady, I saw shades of his 2016/17 season.

AA was quietly noticeable to me. I rag on him for not having the compete, but when Anderson rode McDavid into the boards, AA peeled back and gave Ol Rasmus a face wash and roughed him up a bit for the action. Was good to see. But I get the feeling he may get Yak’d. When he’s on the ice he’s been with Haas/Sheahan and Arch for the most part. He gets things going but they end fairly quick as he doesn’t get much support in the offensive zone. Arch is a spark plug. Not sure if anyone caught Rinaldo telling Arch that ‘I will ****** hurt you’ while in the box after their scrum. POS.

The Khaira line is big. They had some solid shifts but overall quite meh. If they can elevate, which I fully expect Neal and Chiasson to do, this line will be a big help.

Drai’s line moves the puck so well. He and Yam has found instant chem and it definitely held through the pause. Ennis is Nuge light to me, so I didn’t get much of a downgrade from that line. Though, Nuge can bring an element to that line to elevate even more.

Connor’s line is as expected. Connor being Connor, Kass being Kass (would like to see both of them shoot a little more instead of thinking pass in some situations) and Nuge started to look more comfortable with them as the game went on.

I’d truly like to see AA get an extended look at Connor’s LW. Nuge back to the NDY line and Ennis with Shea and Arch. That’s what I do in Chel anyway fishing

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764104 is a reply to message #764103 ]
Wed, 29 July 2020 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

I want Koski to start for two reasons:

- both goalies had erratic periods, but overall Koski had better regular season stats this year
- if one struggles, for some reason I am more comfortable with Smith coming in for relief than Koski

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764117 is a reply to message #764104 ]
Wed, 29 July 2020 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

6 Cups

I know it was a meaningless game so I don't think the teams where going 100%, I could tell the Oilers weren't but my god, how did the Flames win the west last year? Other than Tkachuk, did any of their top 6 have a pulse! If I was a Flames fan I would have zero confidence in their goalies. I think the Jets beat the hell out of them.

Thank god Cassie Campbell doesn't do many Oilers game, I couldn't take it if she did. She's awful. Is it me or does it seem like she yell talks.

Re: GDT: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition) [message #764118 is a reply to message #764117 ]
Wed, 29 July 2020 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 29 July 2020 13:07

I know it was a meaningless game so I don't think the teams where going 100%, I could tell the Oilers weren't but my god, how did the Flames win the west last year? Other than Tkachuk, did any of their top 6 have a pulse! If I was a Flames fan I would have zero confidence in their goalies. I think the Jets beat the hell out of them.

Thank god Cassie Campbell doesn't do many Oilers game, I couldn't take it if she did. She's awful. Is it me or does it seem like she yell talks.

Honestly don’t remember hearing Monahan’s name last night. Their version (albeit less tenacious) of our Yams had Smith beat on a wraparound that Lars broke up and had a shot from the point that I noticed. Lindholm, despite the goal, was very meh.

Tkachuk is a competitor. No denying that. But for a guy who is likely their next captain, the team sure doesn’t seem to follow his lead. I personally like Bennett, but if their big 3 (Monahan, Johnny and Lindholm) dont get going, I think they will be in tough to get past Winnipeg. No Hamonic will be noticeable on defense for them I think.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:The Pre-Playoff Thread for the Chicago Blackhawks
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca