This day on August 17
None

Happy Birthday To: Slim Jim Phantom Call, Ingenious_OilerFan, copper&blue, annie01, Kaizzer3

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Bettman Outlines Return to Play FormatPages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760697]
Tue, 26 May 2020 15:10 Go to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-planning-24-team-return-in-2-hub-citi es-new-draft-lottery-format-1.1479427

-So the regular season is completed, sucks McDavid's consecutive 100 point season streak is over and Draisaitl can't challenge for 50 goals in back to back seasons and 130 points

-We play CHI in play in round, best of 5

-Oilers would qualify for draft lottery if they somehow lose to CHI

-Not guranteed to play DAL in WCQF, still deciding on reseeding vs. bracket format

-Haven't determined length of first and second round series

-No mention of when draft will take place, sounds like will be after the season based on when lottery is being held.

-No mention if they will hand out regular seasons awards, I assume they will after the playoffs are completed

-No update on status of conditional draft picks

-Still deciding on Hub cities (1 for Eastern conderence, 1 for West). 1 of 2 will host Stanley Cup Final

[Updated on: Tue, 26 May 2020 16:04]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760698 is a reply to message #760697 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Congrats to Drai on the Art Ross at least! :)

And no Rocket for Matthews.
https://media3.giphy.com/media/cO39srN2EUIRaVqaVq/giphy.gif

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760699 is a reply to message #760697 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 15:10

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-planning-24-team-return-in-2-hub-citi es-new-draft-lottery-format-1.1479427

-So the regular season is completed, sucks McDavid's consecutive 100 point season streak is over and Draisaitl can't challenge for 50 goals in back to back seasons and 130 points

-We play CHI in play in round, best of 5

-Oilers would qualify for draft lottery if they somehow lose to CHI

-Not guranteed to play DAL in WCQF, still deciding on reseeding vs. bracket format

-No mention of when draft will take place, sounds like will be after the season based on when lottery is being held.

-No mention if they will hand out regular seasons awards, I assume they will after the playoffs are completed

-Still deciding on Hub cities (1 for Eastern conderence, 1 for West)

Congrats Draisatl on the Art Ross. And Ovi ties for Rocket I believe.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760708 is a reply to message #760699 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

The cities Bettman mentioned as possible hubs...

-Chicago
-Columbus
-LA
-Dallas
-Edmonton
-Minneapolis/St. Paul
-Vancouver
-Vegas
-Pittsburgh
-Toronto

Interesting that it's 7 in the west and only 3 in the east.

You'd have to believe that Toronto is a lock to host the Eastern teams, would the league go with two Canadian cities in Toronto and Edmonton or would one need to be in the US? Might be easier logistically to have both in one country, however my gut feeling is TO and Vegas will be the two cities selected.

However if the league is truly concerned about the players health I think Edmonton is the obvious choice for a litany of reasons...extremely low case count in the region, top notch facilities that could accommodate the players and lower temps in the summer for better ice. Also interesting whether players who live in host cities will be permitted to live at home or will have to live in "bubble" as well

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760710 is a reply to message #760708 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 15:54

-Chicago
-Columbus
-LA
-Dallas
-Edmonton
-Minneapolis/St. Paul
-Vancouver
-Vegas
-Pittsburgh
-Toronto

You'd have to believe that Toronto is a lock to host the Eastern teams, would the league go with two Canadian cities in Toronto and Edmonton or would one need to be in the US? Might be easier logistically to have both in one country, however my gut feeling is TO and Vegas will be the two cities selected.

However if the league is truly concerned about the players health I think Edmonton is the obvious choice for a litany of reasons...extremely low case count in the region, top notch facilities that could accommodate the players and lower temps in the summer for better ice. Also interesting whether players who live in host cities will be permitted to live at home or will have to live in "bubble" as well

I doubt the NHL will want to risk a border crossing at the most important part of their season. Even with assurances from governments, you wouldn't want to leave something like that to chance as it went in to the Stanley Cup Final.

I would guess either two Canadian or two American cities. Hopefully relatively COVID-free ones, where the ice isn't going to be impossible to maintain in July and August.

Vegas seems challenging from a heat perspective, but Chicago may be even worse. I was there a couple times in July and it was +35 and humid. That might be even trickier to deal with than +50 and dry.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760711 is a reply to message #760710 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Brian Burke on Tim & Sid re: Draisaitl for the Hart..."If I had a vote I'd vote for Leon Draisaitl twice...you can start chiseling his name on that trophy"

Gotta admit kinda like Burkie without the Leaf/Flame stank on him. Very insightful on HNIC broadcasts and always had interesting opinions on topics. If I'm Sportsnet I'm expanding his "To the Point" segment to replace Coach's Corner next year

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760720 is a reply to message #760711 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 16:15

Brian Burke on Tim & Sid re: Draisaitl for the Hart..."If I had a vote I'd vote for Leon Draisaitl twice...you can start chiseling his name on that trophy"

Gotta admit kinda like Burkie without the Leaf/Flame stank on him. Very insightful on HNIC broadcasts and always had interesting opinions on topics. If I'm Sportsnet I'm expanding his "To the Point" segment to replace Coach's Corner next year

I would love Drai to win the Hart. Mainly because I think technically Panarin actually deserves it, so it would be awesome revenge for McDavid being robbed of the Calder :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760713 is a reply to message #760710 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

I don't get why Vegas is in the mix. All they offer is hotel ability. I do wonder if they are just on the list because they are the NHL's currently favorite team.

If you are playing hockey in the summer, it gets to be 40's or 50C. I don't care how good your ice plant is, your ice will be crap when the outside temp is 40's or 50. What about practice rinks? I believe Bettman mentioned each team would get their own practice ink. Does Vegas physically have enough practice rinks for maybe 8 teams to use at once? I heard that as part of Edmonton's pitch, they said they would have a quarantined golf course for these guys to use in their down time. If it's 40 or 50 in Vegas, you aren't going outside in that.

I do get that there would be a desire for a hub City in the East and West. But the eastern side of both countries is a mess with Covid. If player safety is truly a concern, stands to reason you pick 2 places with the smallest risk possible. I assume they will be playing multiple games a day. If there are no fans, you can just tape the games and replay them in Eastern Markets in whatever time slot they want.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760714 is a reply to message #760713 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The according to some in here, overpaid Leon put his second straight 100+ pt season. The premature end to the season may have robbed him of his second straight 50 goal season. He's the Art Ross winner. Will probably win the Hart. He will be in the running and might be the favorite to win the Ted Lindsay as this seasons best player.

Yes, he's so overpaid. icon_rolleyes

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760716 is a reply to message #760714 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 16:27

The according to some in here, overpaid Leon put his second straight 100+ pt season. The premature end to the season may have robbed him of his second straight 50 goal season. He's the Art Ross winner. Will probably win the Hart. He will be in the running and might be the favorite to win the Ted Lindsay as this seasons best player.

He was when he signed that contract based on his comparables at the time, Oilers are fortunate he's blossomed as he has. Please don't try and derail the thread

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760718 is a reply to message #760716 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 16:35

He was when he signed that contract based on his comparables at the time, Oilers are fortunate he's blossomed as he has. Please don't try and derail the thread

When a team signs a longer term deal, are you not trying to predict what he will be like down the road? I thought so. He's easily making 3+ mill less than what he would have made even 1 yr later.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760719 is a reply to message #760718 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 16:40

When a team signs a longer term deal, are you not trying to predict what he will be like down the road? I thought so. He's easily making 3+ mill less than what he would have made even 1 yr later.

Yes, as did the other teams who signed players with similar stats at the time to better contracts. Helps when you re-set the market by over paying a player based on his comparables at the time. It worked out well but easily could have gone the other way. This has been debated ad nauseam, no need to re-hash, thank you

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760721 is a reply to message #760718 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Please take this to a thread about Draisaitl if you want to start an old argument over.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760726 is a reply to message #760718 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

https://www.nhl.com/news/nathan-mackinnon-signs-7-year-contr act-with-avalanche/c-281143728
July 2016
https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/oilers-sign-leon-draisaitl-t o-contract-extension/c-290683522
August 2017

It is awesome to argue about hockey again though.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760738 is a reply to message #760726 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Elliotte Friedman

@FriedgeHNIC
Couple of other notes from Return-to-Play protocol: Two exhibition games per team; 28 skaters and as many goalies as you wish to carry.

Sorry don't know how to embed twitter. Interesting, bold prediction...Shane Starrett plays lights out in camp and exhibition and steals the crease from Koskinen/Smith and propels the Oilers to a cup victory a la Jordan Binnington 2019!

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760741 is a reply to message #760738 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 20:25

Elliotte Friedman

@FriedgeHNIC
Couple of other notes from Return-to-Play protocol: Two exhibition games per team; 28 skaters and as many goalies as you wish to carry.

Sorry don't know how to embed twitter. Interesting, bold prediction...Shane Starrett plays lights out in camp and exhibition and steals the crease from Koskinen/Smith and propels the Oilers to a cup victory a la Jordan Binnington 2019!

clapping Wave Towel weights

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760740 is a reply to message #760713 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 15:21

I don't get why Vegas is in the mix. All they offer is hotel ability. I do wonder if they are just on the list because they are the NHL's currently favorite team.

If you are playing hockey in the summer, it gets to be 40's or 50C. I don't care how good your ice plant is, your ice will be crap when the outside temp is 40's or 50. What about practice rinks? I believe Bettman mentioned each team would get their own practice ink. Does Vegas physically have enough practice rinks for maybe 8 teams to use at once? I heard that as part of Edmonton's pitch, they said they would have a quarantined golf course for these guys to use in their down time. If it's 40 or 50 in Vegas, you aren't going outside in that.

I do get that there would be a desire for a hub City in the East and West. But the eastern side of both countries is a mess with Covid. If player safety is truly a concern, stands to reason you pick 2 places with the smallest risk possible. I assume they will be playing multiple games a day. If there are no fans, you can just tape the games and replay them in Eastern Markets in whatever time slot they want.

Bingo.
NHL's shiny new toy. Its Gary's time to Dazzle!

Its actually one of the worst places to host 12 hockey teams, they have like 2 rinks at the Knights practice facility, and an old crap rink West of the strip. I skated at both. The new facility is top notch ice, the other one where I played a hockey tourney, is crapolla, surprised they are even on the list.

Compare them to either Vancouver or Edmonton, where ice is every where, each team could have their own home rink, if they wanted to.

Regarding 14 day border quarantine, the teams can fly charter direct, rink to bus, bus to plane, fly/land, plane to bus... should be no reason anyone gets CV-19.

In any event, the health threat isn't to the players, they are all under 60 years old, its the general public over 60 that's at risk. As long as the teams are isolated to amongst themselves, should be good, especially 2 months from now.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 May 2020 22:57]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760742 is a reply to message #760740 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 21:38

Bingo.
NHL's shiny new toy. Lets Gary's time to Dazzle!

Its actually one of the worst places to host 12 hockey teams, they have like 2 rinks at the Knights practice facility, and an old crap rink West of the strip. I skated at both. The new facility is top notch ice, the other one where I played a hockey tourney, is crapolla, surprised they are even on the list.

Compare them to either Vancouver or Edmonton, where ice is every where, each team could have their own home rink, if they wanted to.

Regarding 14 day border quarantine, the teams can fly charter direct, rink to bus, bus to plane, fly/land, plane to bus... should be no reason anyone gets CV-19.

In any event, the health threat isn't to the players, they are all under 60 years old, its the general public over 60 that's at risk. As long as the teams are isolated to amongst themselves, should be good, especially 2 months from now.

I know little Domi has diabetes. Might be some other players too. Imagine asthma is around the league to some degree too. Then there is McDavid that seems to be on the brink of death every year with a flu :)

Lots of older coaches too that could end up having to bow out if they were to get it.

The league will go full panic mode if anyone inside the essential circle was to get it.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 May 2020 21:42]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760743 is a reply to message #760742 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 20:40

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 21:38

Bingo.
NHL's shiny new toy. Lets Gary's time to Dazzle!

I know little Domi has diabetes. Might be some other players too. Imagine asthma is around the league to some degree too. Then there is McDavid that seems to be on the brink of death every year with a flu :)

Lots of older coaches too that could end up having to bow out if they were to get it.

The league will go full panic mode if anyone inside the essential circle was to get it.

Yeah that's true, there some people associated with the team that are going to have some escalated risk factors, including refs, linesmen. Nhl has to assume someone on a team, or a whole team, may test positive, they'll need a contingency plan, can't eliminate a team because of pos tests, key is containment of players to their group, and single out those at risk within the team for more scrutiny... gonna be interesting!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760753 is a reply to message #760743 ]
Wed, 27 May 2020 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

"The NHL, which unveiled its return-to-play plan Tuesday that would feature 24 teams if the league is able to resume, announced that Vancouver and Toronto are also in the running along with Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh and Minneapolis/St. Paul in the U.S.

The goal is to name two cities, but deputy commissioner Bill Daly said the Canadian government's mandatory 14-quarantine for anyone entering the country would make Canadian cities a non-starter.

"If we're not able to really get an interpretation of the quarantine consistent with our players' ability to travel in and not have to do a strict self-quarantine in a hotel room ... we won't be in a position to use any of the Canadian cities as a hub," Daly said. "So we're faced with having to find a solution to that. And hopefully we can."

The NHL said it will wait another three or four weeks before announcing its hub plans."

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-return-hub-cities-q uarantine-1.5586524

I'm starting to like Minneapolis/St. Paul if the Canadian cities are out of the running. Air conditioned arenas in warm places like Vegas and Dallas may be able to mitigate the outside temperatures in July so that decent ice is possible, but the power bills would be pretty steep.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760755 is a reply to message #760753 ]
Wed, 27 May 2020 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I think it would be very hard to go to Minnesota right now. We can probably scratch them off the list.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760784 is a reply to message #760755 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 27 May 2020 10:29

I think it would be very hard to go to Minnesota right now. We can probably scratch them off the list.

Very true. Scratch Minnesota for now.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/armed-citizens-guard-stores-amid- looting-in-minneapolis-report

Kenney isn't giving up and has Dr. Henshaw and AHS on side. Edmonton still makes sense.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760739 is a reply to message #760708 ]
Tue, 26 May 2020 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 26 May 2020 14:54

-Chicago
-Columbus
-LA
-Dallas
-Edmonton
-Minneapolis/St. Paul
-Vancouver
-Vegas
-Pittsburgh
-Toronto

Does it really matter? No crowds anyways.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760785 is a reply to message #760739 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don't think Vegas can be a hub City. What they have is an abundance of hotel space. Other than that, I don't think they have what the NHL will need nor the players. A few knocks:
- Weather. These games will be played in the summer. Anyone ever been in Vegas in July, August and September? The temperature gets up to 40's or 50's. Years ago before kids, the Wife and I drove to Vegas just to do it in early August. Cool drive, I recommend it. It was high 40's the whole time, one day it got to 50. The wife and I did a trip to Vegas in mid September not quite 2 years ago, it was low 40's every day. Great if you are just lounging by the pool provided you have some shade but you couldn't walk on the concrete it was so hot because the sun beat down on it day after day. Part of what the players will want is what do they do with their downtime. They won't want to be locked down in a hotel rooms hours a day, every day. Might as well stay at home if that is what you will do. You can't do a hell of a lot when it's mid 40's. You can't golf in that and risk dehydrating yourself as a pro athlete. At that temperature, there is no way the ice will be any good. I don't know where Vegas ranks for ice, I am sure it's better than some other warm weather Cities due to a brand new system but you aren't going to have remotely decent ice when it's been 45 outside day after day. The playoffs is supposed to be the peak of your league, where the playoffs show the best of what your league has to offer. You can't have the ice be garbage so these guys can barely skate. I am sure the NHL rink has state of the art ice plants, does any other place that you need for practice rinks? I have my doubts.

- Available ice. Under normal circumstances for the playoffs, you have 8 NHL rinks being used. For TV, they get that down to 4 a day to start in 4 different Cities. To do this, they are going down to 2 NHL Cities. To do this, I assume you need to have multiple games a day going (both hub cities) and even play multiple games a day at each location. For a game you need warm up time, you need time to flood 3 times and close to 3 hours to play it assuming no OT happens. So for 1 game with no OT, the rink is being used 4-5 hours. If playoffs OT happens which can go HOURS, its way more. These players are creatures of habit and I assume they have some fairly significant pregame time need. I don't see them coming 20 mins before game time, putting your gear on and playing like little kids do. They would have meals and meetings and time to stretch and warm up even prior to warm up skating. So I don't see making the players get up at the 5 am for a 8am game. So you have to give teams time for that in the rink, plus guard against potential OT time. So in reality, you probably need 2 NHL caliber rinks available so you could play 2 games a day. So the normal rink and the practice rink are what any team can provide so you play a game on each surface a day. What about practice or morning skates? Bettman said every team will get their own practice rink for safety reasons. Makes complete sense. So if the normal NHL rink and the practice rink are reserved for games, at minimum you need 8 additional hockey rinks. You can probably get away with them not all being NHL caliber in size for a practice or a skate but you need change rooms, some kind of facilities, BOARDS, the ability to make hockey quality ice. I googled Vegas, 9 ice rinks popped up, that's it. (I hope my search showed all that was available). In that search the main rink came up plus the practice. To do this, 2 have 2 game rinks but 8 practice rinks, you need 10 arenas to play hockey on. A Vegas search came up with 9 skating places in Vegas. So right away, they are short one physical ice surfaces, that doesn't take into account if you can play hockey on it. Some of them said "Ice skating center" or something similar. So what does that mean? Is it just a place where someone can physically skate on or can you actually play/practice hockey on it.

So it doesn't look like Vegas has physically enough facilities to do it, not including the weather challenges to make ice.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760786 is a reply to message #760785 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I, for one, look forward to the massive outrage that will immediately follow the announcement of the hub cities - no matter what cities are chosen!

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760869 is a reply to message #760785 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 May 2020 07:08

So it doesn't look like Vegas has physically enough facilities to do it, not including the weather challenges to make ice.

You have had it out for Vegas and it's team since they were announced. I didn't quote your entire post as it is full of inaccuracies, assumptions or made up facts.

What makes you think they dont have the facilities to host? Some anecdotal story about a road trip there and a made up temp of 50 degrees?

If you compare Apples to Apples I would bet that they are just as equipped as Edmonton to handle 8 teams using it as a hub city.

BTW. The record high in all officially recorded Las Vegas weather is 117F or 47.2 C.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760871 is a reply to message #760869 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 28 May 2020 18:57

You have had it out for Vegas and it's team since they were announced. I didn't quote your entire post as it is full of inaccuracies, assumptions or made up facts.

What makes you think they dont have the facilities to host? Some anecdotal story about a road trip there and a made up temp of 50 degrees?

If you compare Apples to Apples I would bet that they are just as equipped as Edmonton to handle 8 teams using it as a hub city.

BTW. The record high in all officially recorded Las Vegas weather is 117F or 47.2 C.

I experienced +50.2 (according to the car) in Death Valley. Holy hell was that hot. We'd have to find Boniman to know for sure, but I think maintaining ice there would be extremely difficult.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760873 is a reply to message #760871 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 28 May 2020 19:11

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 28 May 2020 18:57

I experienced +50.2 (according to the car) in Death Valley. Holy hell was that hot. We'd have to find Boniman to know for sure, but I think maintaining ice there would be extremely difficult.

I have never been in +50. It hit mid 40's in Nicaragua and I thought death was knocking, breathing was tough. Granted I am a whiter than glue Ginger but still.

I was thinking about Boniman today while reading this thread. I ZERO experience in ice making(outside of mixing drinks) but you have to be right it would be tougher to some degree.
I am curious about a couple of things.
Did Vegas plan the rink specially suited to warmer temps? It isnt like the normal hockey season has -20 temps. How different is it having quality ice when it is +20 outside VS +35?

Also, would no fans have a huge effect on ease of maintaining quality ice? I have played in rinks in front of 8 thousand people. Practicing in the same rink is like night and day temp wise.

ETA
Never been to death valley, looked up the temp. Right now it is 7PM and 47 degrees. Holy crap

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760875 is a reply to message #760871 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

2 Cups

43 in Croatia at the seaside at Rijeka was more than enough. I can't imagine hotter. And I'm maybe 20 lbs heavier than those beach days back in 2000 which doesn't help. Fun fact, Victoria has gone over 30 around 10 times since I moved here. It all happened during my first summer! I'm not complaining so much.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760804 is a reply to message #760697 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NHL Twitter announces that:

Leon Draisaitl wins the Art Ross Trophy
Jaro Halak & Tuuka Rask win the Jennings Trophy
David Pastrnak and Alex Ovechkin share the Rocket Richard Trophy
And the Bruins win the President's Trophy.

I guess that's official then - regular season is finished.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760806 is a reply to message #760804 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 28 May 2020 10:53

NHL Twitter announces that:

Leon Draisaitl wins the Art Ross Trophy
Jaro Halak & Tuuka Rask win the Jennings Trophy
David Pastrnak and Alex Ovechkin share the Rocket Richard Trophy
And the Bruins win the President's Trophy.

I guess that's official then - regular season is finished.

lol Matthews, again.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760807 is a reply to message #760697 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Entertaining video from Alex Killorn and the Tampa Bay Lightning:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1266038471476404225

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760820 is a reply to message #760807 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

1 Cup

Well I’m hyped.

I also want to move to Tampa now.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760834 is a reply to message #760820 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Thu, 28 May 2020 12:47

Well I’m hyped.

I also want to move to Tampa now.

Yep - that doubles as an advertisement for UFAs. Looks like a fantastic place to be young and rich. No state tax is just a bonus.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760842 is a reply to message #760697 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Per Elliotte Friedman:

Quote:

Players informed today Phase III (training camps) won’t start before July 10.

Still a little time before anyone is actually playing a game.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760844 is a reply to message #760842 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 28 May 2020 15:14

Per Elliotte Friedman:

Quote:

Dang...

Wonder how compressed they are going to run the series.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760849 is a reply to message #760844 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 28 May 2020 15:21

Per Elliotte Friedman:

Quote:

Dang...

I do wonder if they will make the first round or 2 5 games. Back in the 80's, I believe the first round was 5 games. In my opinion, it wouldn't tarnish the winner. It will still be a battle. These might be some of the most competitive playoffs EVER. Virtually every team should be completely healthy. The last games were March 11. July 10 start of camp means 4 months have passed. After 82 games, most guys are dealing with something. They'd have 4 months to heal. If you were healthy and able to work out a bit, that's 4 months to get a little stronger. If you had a surgery of something, you'd have 4 months of time to heal. There aren't that many injuries that need 4 months to heal. There would have been guys who were hurt and gone for the season that could be back. So if they have to trim off a couple of games in the first round or 2 to make them 5 games series. Big deal. Get after it. If anything, it would just make winning those early games even more intense. For anyone who worries about losing the dramatic down 3-1 in the series, game 7 come back. It's still there. Just means it turns into down 2-1. Do what it takes to get it done.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760851 is a reply to message #760844 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Per Elliotte Friedman:

Quote:

Dang...

I am not sure they care - they're not going to be able to start next year on time anyhow, so if the season goes until the end of September, so be it.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760853 is a reply to message #760851 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 28 May 2020 15:36

Per Elliotte Friedman:

Quote:

Dang...

I am not sure they care - they're not going to be able to start next year on time anyhow, so if the season goes until the end of September, so be it.

So the plan is likely to finish the playoffs in mid-to-late fall, give them a little time off and then have a truncated season next year as well? Hurts Ovi in his chase for Wayne's goal totals, and connor's career numbers take a hit as well.

Re: Bettman Outlines Return to Play Format [message #760854 is a reply to message #760853 ]
Thu, 28 May 2020 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 28 May 2020 15:40

Adam wrote on Thu, 28 May 2020 15:36

Per Elliotte Friedman:

Quote:

Dang...

So the plan is likely to finish the playoffs in mid-to-late fall, give them a little time off and then have a truncated season next year as well? Hurts Ovi in his chase for Wayne's goal totals, and connor's career numbers take a hit as well.

No guarantee that next year is a short year. It may start in December and run until August. The NHL could quite conceivably roll things back to normal over a two or three year period.

If they get good ratings for summer hockey this year, they'll be less likely to worry about running late next year too.

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Canucks pressured to change logo
Next Topic:Players are mad because of NHL's new CBA requests
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca