This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip BrobergPages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #757186 is a reply to message #739192 ]
Fri, 06 March 2020 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Eastern Oil @OntarioOilers

18 y.o. SHL seasons

Broberg 42, 1-7-8, 0.19 P/G
Klefbom 33, 2-0-2, 0.06 P/G
Klingberg 26, 0-5-5, 0.19 P/G
Karlsson 45, 5-5-10, 0.22 P/G

Looks like Broberg put up 4 points in feb to double his total for the year. Ending up with a reasonable season as a youngin getting limited minutes and offensive opportunity in the SHL.

https://www.shl.se/lag/50e6-50e6DYeWM__skelleftea-aik/qRh-zt vvNake__philip-broberg/gamelog

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #758464 is a reply to message #757186 ]
Mon, 30 March 2020 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Looks like Broberg will stay in Sweden at least through next season.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/oilers-philip- broberg-planning-to-stay-in-sweden/

"Broberg will continue playing for Skelleftea AIK, where he notched one goal and seven helpers in 45 games last season, rather than link up with AHL Bakersfield. Perhaps once the 18-year-old 2020-21 Swedish campaign wraps up, he can join up with the Condors for the final few games of the year."

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #758493 is a reply to message #758464 ]
Mon, 30 March 2020 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 30 March 2020 13:01

Looks like Broberg will stay in Sweden at least through next season.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/oilers-philip- broberg-planning-to-stay-in-sweden/

"Broberg will continue playing for Skelleftea AIK, where he notched one goal and seven helpers in 45 games last season, rather than link up with AHL Bakersfield. Perhaps once the 18-year-old 2020-21 Swedish campaign wraps up, he can join up with the Condors for the final few games of the year."

Shortened season. Potential shortened 20/21. May as well. No harm.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #758498 is a reply to message #758493 ]
Tue, 31 March 2020 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I wouldn't have been upset if they brought him over to play in the AHL but I have no problem with him staying in Sweden to develop. Looks like they have an organization actually serious about developing talent.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #762287 is a reply to message #739192 ]
Tue, 23 June 2020 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Bringing in a ringer

nhlbymatty @nhl_by_matty
Oilers plan on inviting Swedish first-round pick Philip Broberg to their phase 3 camp which is set to start July 10

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #762294 is a reply to message #762287 ]
Tue, 23 June 2020 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 23 June 2020 17:32

Bringing in a ringer

nhlbymatty @nhl_by_matty
Oilers plan on inviting Swedish first-round pick Philip Broberg to their phase 3 camp which is set to start July 10

Is he eligible to play? or just taxi squad?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763600 is a reply to message #739192 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec
Philip Broberg has already passed Evan Bouchard on the Edmonton Oilers depth chart.
Will he play NHL games this summer? It depends on how far the Oilers go.
My piece: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/philip-broberg-earned-in vitation-stay-oilers-summer/

Wow, all it took was some end to end rushes in team scrimmages and Broberg has left Bouchard in the dust (per Spector).

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763601 is a reply to message #763600 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Nice to see that it looks like the Oilers have some actual legit talent coming up. You can never have too many good dman in my opinion either on your team or in the organization. I am of the opinion you can turn a dman into a good forward pretty easily.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763602 is a reply to message #763600 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 20 July 2020 13:01

Philip Broberg has already passed Evan Bouchard on the Edmonton Oilers depth chart.
My piece: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/philip-broberg-earned-in vitation-stay-oilers-summer/

Wow, all it took was some end to end rushes in team scrimmages and Broberg has left Bouchard in the dust (per Spector).

Spector is such a meathead. Broberg is a left defenceman, Bouchard is a right defencemen. As rookies, they're not going to throw them in on the wrong side. These two aren't in heated competition with each other. Lagesson might be more worried about Bouchard...

Also, no good team changes their mind about where people are on the depth chart based on a couple good scrimmages. There's too much chance for sample size error. It's great that Broberg's looking good. Hopefully Bouchard is progressing well too. Neither of these guys is likely to start in the playoffs unless our defence gets decimated by injuries.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763603 is a reply to message #763602 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I don't pretend to be an expert on either of them but from what I read, they both play different styles. Bouchard is a more calm, cool, always makes the right play, right shot dman with a good shot and an excellent passer. Broberg is more of a dynamic skating, push rushing dman.

I am happy to have BOTH on my team for years to come.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763607 is a reply to message #763603 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 20 July 2020 13:35

I don't pretend to be an expert on either of them but from what I read, they both play different styles. Bouchard is a more calm, cool, always makes the right play, right shot dman with a good shot and an excellent passer. Broberg is more of a dynamic skating, push rushing dman.

I am happy to have BOTH on my team for years to come.

We'll see. Oilers insiders have over-hyped just about every kid we've drafted for the last couple decades. A lot of it is just about selling hope.

I really hope these guys are both stars and just stud defencemen and both future first-pair guys...but it's early and there's no rush.

The fact is, the guys who you hear talking about this the most have such a long track record of being wrong that you really can't take anything they say at face value.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763604 is a reply to message #763602 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Whatever. Both men are ready to be NHLers. Now we can trade someone.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763605 is a reply to message #763604 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

There was a piece written by Gregor on Oilersnatiion about the expansion draft and how he felt the Oilers should protect 4 dmen - Nurse, Klef, Bear, Jones. I didn't understand that logic because that means you are only protecting 4 forwards and in reality, Jones is a 3rd pairing dman on the Oilers because both Klef and Nurse are lefties and are ahead of him. With Bouchard not needing protection, by the time the expansion draft comes around, you could come out with your entire top 4 intact so Klef Nurse, Bear, Bouchard and if Broberg looks like he will be ready by the expansion year, if you did lose Jones, oh well.

Still a ways to go but it's nice seeing options.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763614 is a reply to message #763605 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 20 July 2020 13:44

There was a piece written by Gregor on Oilersnatiion about the expansion draft and how he felt the Oilers should protect 4 dmen - Nurse, Klef, Bear, Jones. I didn't understand that logic because that means you are only protecting 4 forwards and in reality, Jones is a 3rd pairing dman on the Oilers because both Klef and Nurse are lefties and are ahead of him. With Bouchard not needing protection, by the time the expansion draft comes around, you could come out with your entire top 4 intact so Klef Nurse, Bear, Bouchard and if Broberg looks like he will be ready by the expansion year, if you did lose Jones, oh well.

Honestly, I think it depends on who they have at forward. Right now, the Oilers only have four forwards I would consider worth protecting more than Jones. Everyone else is a replaceable piece in my opinion.

McDavid
Draisaitl
Nugent-Hopkins (if he re-signs prior)
Yamamoto

Is there any other forward *right now* who is more valuable to the Oilers than Caleb Jones for the Oilers moving forward? Athanasiou? Kassian? Archibald? Neal?

I'm hoping they add some forward depth before then, so maybe things change. But right now I'd rather protect a 24-year-old Jones than a 30-year-old Kassian for example.

Ideally I think you want to come out of the expansion draft with a defensive depth chart looking something like (though I'm truly in no rush to bring Broberg in, especially considering the depth):

Klefbom / Bear
Nurse / Jones
Broberg / Bouchard

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763615 is a reply to message #763614 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 20 July 2020 15:17

Honestly, I think it depends on who they have at forward. Right now, the Oilers only have four forwards I would consider worth protecting more than Jones. Everyone else is a replaceable piece in my opinion.

McDavid
Draisaitl
Yamamoto

Is there any other forward *right now* who is more valuable to the Oilers than Caleb Jones for the Oilers moving forward? Athanasiou? Kassian? Archibald? Neal?

I'm hoping they add some forward depth before then, so maybe things change. But right now I'd rather protect a 24-year-old Jones than a 30-year-old Kassian for example.

Ideally I think you want to come out of the expansion draft with a defensive depth chart looking something like (though I'm truly in no rush to bring Broberg in, especially considering the depth):

Klefbom / Bear
Nurse / Jones
Broberg / Bouchard

I see protecting Jones as a potential mistake like Florida did with the Vegas draft. They end up protecting 4 dmen. 2 of them were Pysyk is maybe a 4-5 dman and Petrovic was out of the league a couple of seasons later. Right now, Jones is a 5-6 dman. Maybe by the time the expansion draft he can be a #4, I don't see him being higher than a 4. If he was right handed, 100% you protect him but he's left. IN a season and a bit, I don't see him getting out of the 3rd pairing since he is a lefty. I very much see Bouchard in the top 4, much like Bear. So you'd be protecting a 3rd pairing dman.

For forwards, if you go 7-3-1, you can protect your entire top 6, plus you are dipping into the 3rd line and at minimum 3 out of your top 4 and most likely your entire top 4 if Bouchard is in that spot. Plus ideally, if Bouchard isn't ready, I don't see a left shot Jones being that guy.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763617 is a reply to message #763615 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 20 July 2020 15:26

McDavid
Draisaitl
Yamamoto

Klefbom / Bear
Nurse / Jones
Broberg / Bouchard

I see protecting Jones as a potential mistake like Florida did with the Vegas draft. They end up protecting 4 dmen. 2 of them were Pysyk is maybe a 4-5 dman and Petrovic was out of the league a couple of seasons later. Right now, Jones is a 5-6 dman. Maybe by the time the expansion draft he can be a #4, I don't see him being higher than a 4. If he was right handed, 100% you protect him but he's left. IN a season and a bit, I don't see him getting out of the 3rd pairing since he is a lefty. I very much see Bouchard in the top 4, much like Bear. So you'd be protecting a 3rd pairing dman.

For forwards, if you go 7-3-1, you can protect your entire top 6, plus you are dipping into the 3rd line and at minimum 3 out of your top 4 and most likely your entire top 4 if Bouchard is in that spot. Plus ideally, if Bouchard isn't ready, I don't see a left shot Jones being that guy.

Outside of the four I listed, there's no forwards on the Oilers I'm losing sleep over losing. There's not a Marchessault or even a Reilly in the bunch (that was an unforced error by Florida trying to unload Reilly's contract; there will be more of those with Seattle being able to take on salary and a cap crunch coming).

I don't think losing Jones would be disastrous, and so we can debate it, but I think I'd rather protect him - even as a third defensemen - over any of the remaining forwards outside of McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, and Yamamoto. There's just no one there that has the potential or would play the minutes of Jones or that couldn't be easily replaced by the next person on the roster. Let's be honest: Archibald looked just as good with McDavid as Kassian did. Ennis can play in the Top-6 as well as Athanasiou can.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763619 is a reply to message #763617 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 20 July 2020 15:34

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 20 July 2020 15:26

McDavid
Draisaitl
Yamamoto

Klefbom / Bear
Nurse / Jones
Broberg / Bouchard

Outside of the four I listed, there's no forwards on the Oilers I'm losing sleep over losing. There's not a Marchessault or even a Reilly in the bunch (that was an unforced error by Florida trying to unload Reilly's contract; there will be more of those with Seattle being able to take on salary and a cap crunch coming).

I don't think losing Jones would be disastrous, and so we can debate it, but I think I'd rather protect him - even as a third defensemen - over any of the remaining forwards outside of McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, and Yamamoto. There's just no one there that has the potential or would play the minutes of Jones or that couldn't be easily replaced by the next person on the roster. Let's be honest: Archibald looked just as good with McDavid as Kassian did. Ennis can play in the Top-6 as well as Athanasiou can.

I'm hopeful that Athansiou can find his form. He scored 30 last year. Coming off a down year in Detroit, you could be getting potentially a dirt cheap 20-30 goal winger that has blazing speed and skill. Put him on Leon's wing and tell him to go to the net with his stick down as he blows by dmen. I would hate to lose him.

But like you said, I am not losing too much sleep if they only protect 4 forwards. I just think that why protect a dman who based on the depth chart of Klef and Nurse ahead of him, he's not getting out of the 3rd pairing for the next 3-4 yrs minimum just because both those guys are in there primes for easily 3+ years, Probably more. You could come away with your 10 best skaters vs 7-8 best. If things work out, Jones in 2 season could be your 5th best dman with Klef, Nurse, Bear, Bouchard ahead of him with maybe Broberg nipping at his heels for his spot.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 July 2020 15:45]

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763624 is a reply to message #763614 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

McDavid
Draisaitl
Yamamoto

Klefbom / Bear
Nurse / Jones
Broberg / Bouchard

If there was only a way to protect an extra skater while leaving all the goalies available...

I tend to agree on Jones. At this point, no one has emerged who needs protecting more, and there's more value in an up-and-coming defenceman than there is in a journeyman forward.

The Oilers don't need to protect seven forwards, because none of the other ones are huge losses at this point.

That would change were the Oilers to sign someone like Taylor Hall in the off-season, but that seems far-fetched and unlikely. Simply from the point of view of who could you get more for if you traded them, Jones is the better choice over Kassian or Athanasiou. The Oilers currently only have 8 forwards total who need protecting (assuming they re-sign RFAs) - McDavid, Draisaitl, Neal, Athanasiou, Kassian, Khaira, Archibald, Yamamoto. You'd like to assume they find a way to extend Nugent-Hopkins and he makes it 9, but really, other than the ones Mightyreasoner mentioned, is there anyone else you'd be heart-broken to lose?

Interesting dynamic with flat or depressed cap and an expansion draft to come - I wonder if we don't see more one-year deals this year with players betting on things improving post-COVID and teams preferring to have UFAs they don't need to protect. You might still have the inside track on re-signing the player and you wouldn't have to worry about protecting them from Seattle. Benning and Larsson (if re-signed) would also be available to Seattle and they still may be picked ahead of the forwards unless the team pays out something in order to convince them to take a forward. If you have a choice, you're getting Seattle to take James Neal and removing that boat anchor of a contract.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763606 is a reply to message #763604 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 20 July 2020 13:40

A right and a left shot guy can go! Usually the Oilers just ship out whoever our best guy is...although they really need to do something to erode their value first - publicly suggest that they're replaceable now? Maybe that they're declining?

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763608 is a reply to message #763606 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 July 2020 13:52

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 20 July 2020 13:40

A right and a left shot guy can go! Usually the Oilers just ship out whoever our best guy is...although they really need to do something to erode their value first - publicly suggest that they're replaceable now? Maybe that they're declining?

Klefbom is injury prone and a Swede. That's a good place to start... the soft Swede.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763620 is a reply to message #763602 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 July 2020 13:28

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 20 July 2020 13:01

Spector is such a meathead. Broberg is a left defenceman, Bouchard is a right defencemen. As rookies, they're not going to throw them in on the wrong side. These two aren't in heated competition with each other. Lagesson might be more worried about Bouchard...

Also, no good team changes their mind about where people are on the depth chart based on a couple good scrimmages. There's too much chance for sample size error. It's great that Broberg's looking good. Hopefully Bouchard is progressing well too. Neither of these guys is likely to start in the playoffs unless our defence gets decimated by injuries.

Your story line does not get clicks. You’re accurate, but what fun is “He’s look better than expected in TC, but temper your expectations”?

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #763622 is a reply to message #763620 ]
Mon, 20 July 2020 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

MY guess is that Bouchard's game will never be flashy, he will just get stuff done and when you slide your finger down the score sheet, you will see his name. He put up point for fun in junior and had 36 pts in 54 games in the AHL. Being that was his first year in pro hockey, that's pretty darn good. Where as Broberg and his dynamic skating might be more flashy.

I am cool to have both on my team.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #766582 is a reply to message #739192 ]
Fri, 11 September 2020 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Nice goal by Broberg

https://twitter.com/antonj85/status/1304454101279879171?s=20

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #766585 is a reply to message #766582 ]
Fri, 11 September 2020 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 11 September 2020 10:52

Nice goal by Broberg

https://twitter.com/antonj85/status/1304454101279879171?s=20

Freaking SWEET!!!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #766599 is a reply to message #766585 ]
Mon, 14 September 2020 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

He just keeps getting better and better and doing it quickly. It's still early but it looks like he is legit and this was the right pick.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #766605 is a reply to message #766599 ]
Mon, 14 September 2020 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 14 September 2020 09:37

He just keeps getting better and better and doing it quickly. It's still early but it looks like he is legit and this was the right pick.

Haha...this is the kind of comment that doesn't age well when talking about teenagers that you only have seen a couple of YouTube clips from.

Hopefully he continues to track well. It's very early days yet. There may yet be times that we wished we picked Cole Caufield (as an example).

His numbers from 2019-20 paralleled those in his draft year - which isn't usually what you'd hope to see. It's hard to know without more information though how he was being used, and what the factors were that went in to that.

He skates well and was praised highly by Edmonton media when he was here in the summer, but this is the same Edmonton media who's been doing that for every high pick or trade-acquired prospect since time began. I don't think you can put a lot of stock in to it - they're asked to sell high on any future guy, especially when it's someone who the new GM went out on a ledge to pick.

We shall see - we could really use a couple cheap stud defencemen to come in and make immediate impacts...

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #766606 is a reply to message #766605 ]
Mon, 14 September 2020 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 September 2020 10:33

Haha...this is the kind of comment that doesn't age well when talking about teenagers that you only have seen a couple of YouTube clips from.

Hopefully he continues to track well. It's very early days yet. There may yet be times that we wished we picked Cole Caufield (as an example).

His numbers from 2019-20 paralleled those in his draft year - which isn't usually what you'd hope to see. It's hard to know without more information though how he was being used, and what the factors were that went in to that.

He skates well and was praised highly by Edmonton media when he was here in the summer, but this is the same Edmonton media who's been doing that for every high pick or trade-acquired prospect since time began. I don't think you can put a lot of stock in to it - they're asked to sell high on any future guy, especially when it's someone who the new GM went out on a ledge to pick.

We shall see - we could really use a couple cheap stud defencemen to come in and make immediate impacts...

Good lord man. Do you just try to spin everything negative? You are right, he's a teenage and things could change but right now things are going about as well as they get with a pick. He played well in the Swedish league after getting drafted though he was limited in minutes. He comes over to the camp and is a stand out. Again limited time but he could have easily looked completely out of place given his age and most wouldn't have given it a second thought. But he didn't and he turned a lot of heads. Now he's started off really well in Sweden which is exactly what anyone should want.

Why is it such a terrible thing to celebrate anything positive? To laugh at a person because they don't want to be miserable all the time about their team. I don't get it.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #766611 is a reply to message #766605 ]
Mon, 14 September 2020 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

If he's gonna take a step up, this would be the year to expect it.

The lineup from his teams twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eho7FdsXkAYwHCQ?format=jpg&name=small

1st pair. Hopefully means PP time too. I think he was 3rd pair most of last year and worked his way up late in the season. This year he's gonna get lots of opportunity, if he keeps deserving it.

Side note. Kudos to "Wingerli" overcoming the odds and becoming a Center.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #766612 is a reply to message #766611 ]
Mon, 14 September 2020 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 14 September 2020 11:51

1st pair. Hopefully means PP time too. I think he was 3rd pair most of last year and worked his way up late in the season. This year he's gonna get lots of opportunity, if he keeps deserving it.

My conclusion is the Oilers should cut the kid loose before he has tons of abuse heaped on him from the Edmonton media and oilfans and/or breaks all of our hearts. Let him find his way through another NHL team's system.

Jeff Petry says hello

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #766614 is a reply to message #766612 ]
Mon, 14 September 2020 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 14 September 2020 12:00

My conclusion is the Oilers should cut the kid loose before he has tons of abuse heaped on him from the Edmonton media and oilfans and/or breaks all of our hearts. Let him find his way through another NHL team's system.

Jeff Petry says hello

That would be way too quick. He has to look good for at least 30 games for us first so we can trade away Klef. Ideally we get him to his last RFA year and give him a 1 year "show me" contract.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #766615 is a reply to message #766614 ]
Mon, 14 September 2020 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 14 September 2020 15:18

Jeff Petry says hello

That would be way too quick. He has to look good for at least 30 games for us first so we can trade away Klef. Ideally we get him to his last RFA year and give him a 1 year "show me" contract.

Exactly. Then we bump him up to the first pairing to fill Klef's spot. He predictably struggles, so we crap all over him, dump him for spare parts, then see him flourish on the 3rd or 2nd pairing on whichever team he got traded to. And so the cycle continues.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #766616 is a reply to message #766615 ]
Mon, 14 September 2020 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

What's up with Lindvall? Is he deceased? Unsigned? Why the grey?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #766617 is a reply to message #766615 ]
Mon, 14 September 2020 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 14 September 2020 12:58

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 14 September 2020 15:18

Jeff Petry says hello

Exactly. Then we bump him up to the first pairing to fill Klef's spot. He predictably struggles, so we crap all over him, dump him for spare parts, then see him flourish on the 3rd or 2nd pairing on whichever team he got traded to. And so the cycle continues.

It's nice having a plan.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #766613 is a reply to message #766611 ]
Mon, 14 September 2020 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I think he was in their 3rd paring last year so moving up to the first is a good things. I hope it continues. Always nice seeing some positive things happen to an Oilers player or prospect.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 September 2020 09:25]

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #766912 is a reply to message #739192 ]
Sat, 19 September 2020 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Broberg with a goal and 2A in first game of season.. 21 minutes TOI..
Happy days!

https://twitter.com/skelleftea_aik/status/130732995542931456 2

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #766914 is a reply to message #766912 ]
Sat, 19 September 2020 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 19 September 2020 11:42

Happy days!

Nice. Already matched his goal total from last season.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #766915 is a reply to message #766914 ]
Sun, 20 September 2020 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 19 September 2020 13:42

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 19 September 2020 11:42

Happy days!

Nice. Already matched his goal total from last season.

Broberg and Bouchard Coming soon. Bear already here.

Unreal. I don’t ever recall a time like this in Oilers history.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #791286 is a reply to message #739192 ]
Wed, 18 August 2021 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

.. bump..

Just a reminder.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #794399 is a reply to message #739192 ]
Sun, 14 November 2021 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Good start for BroBeast in the AHL. In SteelCroft we trust.

9 apples in 12 games.

Highlight of one of his nice plays couple games ago

https://twitter.com/bcurlock/status/1459397410136879104?s=20

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #794405 is a reply to message #794399 ]
Sun, 14 November 2021 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 14 November 2021 10:40

Good start for BroBeast in the AHL. In SteelCroft we trust.

9 apples in 12 games.

Highlight of one of his nice plays couple games ago

https://twitter.com/bcurlock/status/1459397410136879104?s=20

Lots of love for Manson on defenceman development too.

And some criticism that once they get to Edmonton they then have to have Playfair instead...

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #794766 is a reply to message #739192 ]
Fri, 19 November 2021 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Daniel Nugent-Bowman @DNBsports
I can confirm this report from Rasmus. The Oilers are calling up defenceman Philip Broberg from AHL Bakersfield. Slater Koekkoek sustained a lower-body injury last night vs. WPG.

The BroBeast age begins

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #23)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca