This day on May 27
Departed: Jeff Chychrun (1994) Allan Rourke (2008)

Happy Birthday To: mdmds, rockz27, Darth Greene, Rafiki3

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL ScenariosPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758091]
Fri, 20 March 2020 20:43 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

I see roughly 3 scenarios that the NHL should prepare for.

1) Optimistic Scenario - NHL resumes in May/June/July.

2) Non-Ideal Scenario - NHL resumes in September/October.

3) Worst case Scenario - NHL resumes past October.

There is a lot of room for creativity to handle these. Lot's of ideas are going around and while we have down time I think we should discuss them.

I definitely think that the NHL has to award the cup for scenarios 1 and 2. I think they should do everything they can to award 2 cups by the 2021 summer. My best ideas thus far:

1) NHL resumes in May/June/July - 16 team playoff based on points percentage. Make some series best of 3 or 5 as needed. Cup final has to be best of 7. I've heard some talk of an expanded playoffs, I am not sure I like the idea but the league is going to need revenue. I am open to it.

2) NHL resumes in September/October - This is a bit crazy, here is my idea.

First half - September/October to December-ish.

16 team playoffs happen as normal (7 game series) based on points percentage of the postponed season. NHL awards the first cup in December. While this is happening, the other 15 teams play for an additional and guaranteed 2 playoff spots in the second season playoffs in April/May. Perhaps one from each conference.

Second Half - January to June

The next season starts in January. A shortened 40-48 game season is played lock-out style for 16 playoff spots. Once playoff starts, we'll have 18 teams in (2 additional from the first half). 8/9 in each conference play some sort of mini-playoff (2 game cumulative goal total or best of 3) to get the last spot on the conference. Then do 16 team playoffs as normal from there. Award second cup in June

Why this could work? 2 cups are awarded is the main thing, gives non-playoff teams revenues after losing out on playoffs and end of the last season. Guarantees every team plays at least 60+ games in the year.

Why this couldn't work? Don't ask questions.

3) NHL resumes past October.

I honestly don't know. It seems like such a shame to throw away the season but it might be the only thing they can do.

Anyway, I'd like to hear some ideas. It sounds like everything is on the table for the NHL and while it sucks that there is no hockey, I have a feeling that something extra interesting will come out of the next 18 months. Expanded playoffs, mini-series...I'm excited.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 March 2020 20:45]

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758106 is a reply to message #758091 ]
Sat, 21 March 2020 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

Yes, indeed. No hockey all of a sudden sucks. The Oilers of 2019-20 were a solid yet shaky bunch, and were going to give us a real roller coaster ride; hopefully a long one. Now it's just a mysterious mess.

Smyth 360 has done a great job of covering the various scenarios, and his ideas make sense. The only question I would add is what cachet will the NHL and hockey have when all of the wide world of sports is rolling again? For instance, if things get going in late summer, can the NHL start up schedules out of their usual seasons if the NFL 2020 schedule rolls out as scheduled and doesn't miss a beat?

Japan is taking a lot of heat for saying the 2020 Olympics will proceed as scheduled, while right now training facilities for the athletes are shut down. If they are held this summer, they will capture attention in North America and the world, pushing NHL hockey significantly into the back ground.

Lots of events are cancelled and gone forever. I love getting up early on a morning in May and watching the IIHF Tournament from Europe, and that is cancelled.

Formula 1, the PGA tour, NBA, MLB, all the European soccer leagues etc. are facing just as many of the same issues as the NHL. I expect they will try to fit in as many events as they can in this calendar year. I'll stay tuned to see how the NHL fares if and when things start up again.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758108 is a reply to message #758106 ]
Sun, 22 March 2020 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

1 Cup

Even though they seem to be having the most Coronavirus cases, but I could see the NBA starting up first. I think the rest of team played sports will follow suit and our playoffs/season will mimic theirs.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758117 is a reply to message #758108 ]
Sun, 22 March 2020 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Based on what I'm hearing, don't expect anything earlier than October. Maybe even later. This isn't a few weeks or a month. This is a year or more with periods of decreased cases and then more upswings... after this current break out period is even brought under control which in itself will be a few months.

The virus is spread everywhere. And with it's long incubation period of two weeks, during which the host is contagious, it won't slow down until the population has got it and built up an immunity or a vaccine has been proven and produced & distributed at a massive scale.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758119 is a reply to message #758117 ]
Sun, 22 March 2020 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 22 March 2020 18:57

Based on what I'm hearing, don't expect anything earlier than October. Maybe even later. This isn't a few weeks or a month. This is a year or more with periods of decreased cases and then more upswings... after this current break out period is even brought under control which in itself will be a few months.

The virus is spread everywhere. And with it's long incubation period of two weeks, during which the host is contagious, it won't slow down until the population has got it and built up an immunity or a vaccine has been proven and produced & distributed at a massive scale.

Canada is noping out of the Olympics, scheduled for late July. The NHL seems less and less likely.

I'd bet on Tokyo 2021 over Tokyo 2020 at this point.

This is fine.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758124 is a reply to message #758119 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

5 Cups

I know it's still March but I think the NHL needs to be realistic and forget about finishing the regular season and focus on holding some kind of a shortened playoffs. Most teams have played around 70 games so 85% of the season has played. Call that good. To not have a playoff and not hand out the cup would be really rough. The playoffs is their showcase and they need it both financially and for the growth of the game.

So I would focus right now with the players on coming up with a system where they can expand the playoffs in some way to help resolve any close battles. Once you resolve who is either already in the playoffs or who is in the play in games, focus on those teams. Do the Wings need to play or go to training camp? No they don't. So if you are out, you are done for the year. They will need a training camp to get guys up to speed again and then all team probably need a few games to knock off the rust but keep them to a minimum. We've talked about mini play in tournaments or something similar. I think they need to lower the games played in ALL playoff rounds. They need to minimized the impact of next season as well. So adjustments may need to be made to next years schedule to reduce games if it goes too long.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758129 is a reply to message #758119 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 22 March 2020 21:14

nullterm wrote on Sun, 22 March 2020 18:57

Canada is noping out of the Olympics, scheduled for late July. The NHL seems less and less likely.

I'd bet on Tokyo 2021 over Tokyo 2020 at this point.

I wonder if you could play an empty buildings NHL playoff. You could possibly keep the players somewhat isolated to try to prevent spread through the league. Fly charters, stay at designated spots...

Might be a really tough sell though, and empty buildings means forgoing some revenues while still having a lot of the expense.

NHLPA apparently was proposing finishing the season in the summer, having the playoffs maybe in to September and then having a shortened break for the draft, free agency, etc. They wanted to find a way to get all the games in because that limits the loss of their escrow, which will be almost all re-absorbed if season is scrapped.

I do notice though that there's not been a lot of communication from the Oilers about what they're doing with the money for all these cancelled games. I certainly haven't seen money back yet...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758132 is a reply to message #758129 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 10:25

I do notice though that there's not been a lot of communication from the Oilers about what they're doing with the money for all these cancelled games. I certainly haven't seen money back yet...

Postponed isn't cancelled. :)

I wonder if the NHL has told everyone to shut up assuming that people will say something embarrassing or stupid.

This is fine.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758136 is a reply to message #758132 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 10:49

I wonder if the NHL has told everyone to shut up assuming that people will say something embarrassing or stupid.

Given how badly the teams all handled the part-time employees thing, I think it's a virtual certainty the NHL would prefer they keep quiet and wait for instruction from Bill Daly and Gary Bettman.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758146 is a reply to message #758136 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

From NHL.com.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-update-regarding-covid-19-pause /c-316255816

"Has any decision been made regarding whether the remainder of the regular season will be played? Has any decision been made regarding what form the Stanley Cup Playoffs would take?

No. The form and format of resumption of play scenarios will depend entirely on what transpires between now and when we are permitted and able to resume -- and, ultimately, on timing and taking into account logistical constraints. We are going to have to be flexible and react to events as they unfold as well as the best medical advice available.

Will games resume in arena venues that are closed to the public?

It is premature to say what the circumstances would be for resumption of play, but we are prepared to follow the direction of relevant health authorities.

If the NHL playoffs go into July and/or August, could there be a shortened regular season next year?

No. We do not anticipate a scenario in our resumption of play format that would endanger or interfere with the League's ability to stage and execute the 2020-21 NHL season in its entirety."

Maybe some furter information will come from the owners meeting today.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758153 is a reply to message #758146 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 12:41

From NHL.com.

"Has any decision been made regarding whether the remainder of the regular season will be played? Has any decision been made regarding what form the Stanley Cup Playoffs would take?

No. The form and format of resumption of play scenarios will depend entirely on what transpires between now and when we are permitted and able to resume -- and, ultimately, on timing and taking into account logistical constraints. We are going to have to be flexible and react to events as they unfold as well as the best medical advice available.

It is premature to say what the circumstances would be for resumption of play, but we are prepared to follow the direction of relevant health authorities.

If the NHL playoffs go into July and/or August, could there be a shortened regular season next year?

No. We do not anticipate a scenario in our resumption of play format that would endanger or interfere with the League's ability to stage and execute the 2020-21 NHL season in its entirety."

Pretty much what you'd expect as far as answers. Saying anything about a shortened season next year impacts season tickets and revenues - so they'll say for now that that's not on the table - even though everything is likely on the table still.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758156 is a reply to message #758153 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 13:27

From NHL.com.

Pretty much what you'd expect as far as answers. Saying anything about a shortened season next year impacts season tickets and revenues - so they'll say for now that that's not on the table - even though everything is likely on the table still.

At least they're not pretending everything will go on as planned like the Olympics people. They weren't even considering a postponement until, well, it was postponed. I think it's pretty unlikely we'll see restrictions lifted to allow for gathering of two hockey teams / 50 people before July 1.

This is fine.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758157 is a reply to message #758156 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 14:55

Adam wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 13:27

From NHL.com.

At least they're not pretending everything will go on as planned like the Olympics people. They weren't even considering a postponement until, well, it was postponed. I think it's pretty unlikely we'll see restrictions lifted to allow for gathering of two hockey teams / 50 people before July 1.

They should just include corona in the competitive aspect of the game. everyone gets tested before the game. You are only allowed to play 2 infected guys at a time and their job is to infect the other team’s best guys. No spitting or licking.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758189 is a reply to message #758157 ]
Tue, 24 March 2020 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Although with rapid testing becoming more available, it might be possible for the players to safely interact with each other within a few months, I just don't see opening buildings up to 20,000 fans anytime soon. Therefore, I think the 2019/20 season and postseason is a write-off. My best guess right now is a condensed 2020/21 season without a bye week or all start game starting in late 2020. There will also be a variety of infection control methods in place in the arena whenever fans get back.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758191 is a reply to message #758189 ]
Tue, 24 March 2020 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Tue, 24 March 2020 17:07

Although with rapid testing becoming more available, it might be possible for the players to safely interact with each other within a few months, I just don't see opening buildings up to 20,000 fans anytime soon. Therefore, I think the 2019/20 season and postseason is a write-off. My best guess right now is a condensed 2020/21 season without a bye week or all start game starting in late 2020. There will also be a variety of infection control methods in place in the arena whenever fans get back.

What do you do if someone contracts the disease on a team though? You'd have to quarantine the whole bunch. It's a challenge even with empty buildings.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758148 is a reply to message #758136 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 11:03

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 10:49

Given how badly the teams all handled the part-time employees thing, I think it's a virtual certainty the NHL would prefer they keep quiet and wait for instruction from Bill Daly and Gary Bettman.

If I worked for a team, I wouldn't say anything right now either because things change virtually daily. What you say today could be obsolete tomorrow.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758194 is a reply to message #758091 ]
Tue, 24 March 2020 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

I think this season is toast. USA isn't gonna be out of the woods any time soon, especially if they reduce social distancing measures to try to get the economy running again. New season hopefully starts in October.

And I don't want McDavid anywhere near the risk of getting COVID-19. Dude is wasted by flu's every year. Too risky!

[Updated on: Tue, 24 March 2020 18:24]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758295 is a reply to message #758194 ]
Thu, 26 March 2020 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

I think finishing the regular season is a pipe dream. You could maybe fit in a shortened playoffs.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758296 is a reply to message #758194 ]
Thu, 26 March 2020 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 24 March 2020 18:21

I think this season is toast. USA isn't gonna be out of the woods any time soon, especially if they reduce social distancing measures to try to get the economy running again. New season hopefully starts in October.

And I don't want McDavid anywhere near the risk of getting COVID-19. Dude is wasted by flu's every year. Too risky!

Sadly this is the reality. There will be no hockey until October, if not then then in early 2021 as we may have a 2nd wave of the pandemic.

Long road and it's gonna bite.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758298 is a reply to message #758194 ]
Thu, 26 March 2020 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

But we'll get those churches full by April! Why wouldn't you want to fill arenas right after that?

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758299 is a reply to message #758298 ]
Thu, 26 March 2020 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 26 March 2020 12:28

But we'll get those churches full by April! Why wouldn't you want to fill arenas right after that?

What’s better? A target or total silence?

This is fine.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758302 is a reply to message #758091 ]
Thu, 26 March 2020 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

I don't love the idea of wildcards being determined by point percentages (I don't mind the three division leaders being slotted by point percentage though). What I'd rather see is a Wildcard Week where the five teams in each conference battle for the two wildcard spots:

West (playoff teams): St. Louis, Colorado, Dallas, Vegas, Edmonton, Vancouver
East (playoff teams): Boston, Tampa, Carolina, Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

West (wildcard week): Calgary, Winnipeg, Nashville, Minnesota, Arizona
East (wildcard week): Toronto, Columbus, NYI, NYR, Florida

From there, we'd have reduced series, ideally Best of 5 and then Best of 7 for the Cup Final.

I'm also open to hosting the games at a neutral site or at a couple of different sites to eliminate the travel (mostly because I think Canada could be in a much better position to move forward this summer than the States). Perhaps no fans, and the Western Conference playoffs take place in Edmonton/Winnipeg and the Eastern Conference playoffs take place in Ottawa/Quebec City.

A final option is a tournament style, similar to what we see in the Olympics or the World Cup of Hockey. Perhaps even a March Madness type bracket where it's a one game elimination.

I do believe that there is a way to present the Stanley Cup for this season, though it may look very different than it ever has before.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758306 is a reply to message #758302 ]
Thu, 26 March 2020 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Some sober thoughts from Greg Wyshynski.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28955155/cancel-nhl-regu lar-season-already

I'm really curious - who makes it in the West with points percentage as the final arbiter? How do you settle tie-breakers? There's so many teams so close, and playoffs is a lot of money - is there a possibility of a team suing the league if they think they're unfairly excluded from the post-season?

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #760646 is a reply to message #758302 ]
Mon, 25 May 2020 17:58 Go to previous message

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 26 March 2020 13:03

I don't love the idea of wildcards being determined by point percentages (I don't mind the three division leaders being slotted by point percentage though). What I'd rather see is a Wildcard Week where the five teams in each conference battle for the two wildcard spots:

West (playoff teams): St. Louis, Colorado, Dallas, Vegas, Edmonton, Vancouver
East (playoff teams): Boston, Tampa, Carolina, Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

West (wildcard week): Calgary, Winnipeg, Nashville, Minnesota, Arizona
East (wildcard week): Toronto, Columbus, NYI, NYR, Florida

From there, we'd have reduced series, ideally Best of 5 and then Best of 7 for the Cup Final.

I'm also open to hosting the games at a neutral site or at a couple of different sites to eliminate the travel (mostly because I think Canada could be in a much better position to move forward this summer than the States). Perhaps no fans, and the Western Conference playoffs take place in Edmonton/Winnipeg and the Eastern Conference playoffs take place in Ottawa/Quebec City.

Not terribly far off. Mine would have been 22 teams (no Chicago, no Montreal), and would have advanced all three divisional leaders to the playoffs (better for Edmonton, Vancouver, Carolina and Pittsburgh, same for everyone else). Mine would have been a mini-touramnet of four games per team where the wildcard teams played each other rather than a Best of Five series against just one opponent.

I like that they are going Best of 7 for each round outside of the play-in, but I think that is the only thing I like better about the NHL's 24 team format. I think what we have is probably less fair to at least four teams.

Locations to be determined, but if they don't do natural site games in Canada (Edmonton and Vancouver), they aren't giving themselves the best chance to get through this safely and healthy.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758716 is a reply to message #758091 ]
Sat, 04 April 2020 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Apparently the NBA is strongly considering just cancelling the season.

Trump is supposed to have a call today with all major league commissioners today, Bettman included.

I'm feeling less optimistic about things.

Clean house or bust

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758717 is a reply to message #758716 ]
Sat, 04 April 2020 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sat, 04 April 2020 12:49

Trump is supposed to have a call today with all major league commissioners today, Bettman included.

I would prefer they finished this season no matter the timeline and then shortening next season as much as needed. But I suppose that would be a big fight with the NHLPA. They aren't paid for playoffs, so they would like to ensure next season has as many game as possible to ensure players are paid as much as possible. Doubt they would like giving up next season games for playoffs.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758718 is a reply to message #758717 ]
Sat, 04 April 2020 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I won't guess that Trump's crystal ball is a better insight into the future, but here is what came out of his conference call with the leaders of the professional sports leagues.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/u-s-president-trump-sche duled-call-major-league-sports-

"U.S. President Donald Trump told major-league sports commissioners on a call Saturday afternoon that he hoped to have fans back in stadiums and arenas by August and September, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Adrian Wojnarowski.

Trump reportedly also said he believe the NFL season “should start on time in September."

Your guess is as good as Trump's.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758719 is a reply to message #758718 ]
Sat, 04 April 2020 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

GabbyDugan wrote on Sat, 04 April 2020 13:20

I won't guess that Trump's crystal ball is a better insight into the future, but here is what came out of his conference call with the leaders of the professional sports leagues.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/u-s-president-trump-sche duled-call-major-league-sports-

"U.S. President Donald Trump told major-league sports commissioners on a call Saturday afternoon that he hoped to have fans back in stadiums and arenas by August and September, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Adrian Wojnarowski.

Trump reportedly also said he believe the NFL season “should start on time in September."

My guess is better than trump’s

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758721 is a reply to message #758718 ]
Sat, 04 April 2020 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

4 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sat, 04 April 2020 13:20

MLB is going to lose a season then. No CFL this summer, I don't imagine. If people can't get out and do much this summer, there will be some stir-craziness. I can hunker inside in the winter without being out in garbage weather, but spring and summer? Gonna be tough.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758747 is a reply to message #758721 ]
Sun, 05 April 2020 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bath(i)robe  is currently offline bath(i)robe

No Cups

I thought I remember hearing someone who is far smarter and more knowledgeable than the rest of us telling us that once warm weather came around this virus was just going to disappear like magic. There is no way that was bad information was it? lmao

#teamBath(i)robe

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758724 is a reply to message #758717 ]
Sat, 04 April 2020 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 04 April 2020 11:55

I would prefer they finished this season no matter the timeline and then shortening next season as much as needed. But I suppose that would be a big fight with the NHLPA. They aren't paid for playoffs, so they would like to ensure next season has as many game as possible to ensure players are paid as much as possible. Doubt they would like giving up next season games for playoffs.

Yeah I think they gotta do whatever is necessary to award a cup somehow. I don't care if that happens in December. Hopefully the NHLPA and NHL can come to some understanding and creatively award a cup, whenever that is.

Clean house or bust

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #758746 is a reply to message #758724 ]
Sun, 05 April 2020 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Probably, my favorite part about the NHL is this website, despite me being 10x smarter than everyone icon_wink

Since hockey has been cancelled, my kids and I have been working out more together and doing our own sports.

I can only imagine that once the NHL's back, I'll have dramatically less interest, other than interpreting the game stats.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #759200 is a reply to message #758724 ]
Sat, 18 April 2020 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teammate Avry  is currently offline Teammate Avry

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sat, 04 April 2020 14:19

Yeah I think they gotta do whatever is necessary to award a cup somehow. I don't care if that happens in December. Hopefully the NHLPA and NHL can come to some understanding and creatively award a cup, whenever that is.

I look at the amount of money that Rogers and NBC stand to lose with no end to this season and yikes...

I think NBC pushes more than Rogers to get a season finished. Losing the Olympics, possibly Notre Dame football (I'll be amazed if any NCAA football happens) and the remainder of hockey in the same summer? That would hurt.

The 24 team idea was fun but for time sake I see them just going with 16 teams but first and 2nd rounds are either Best of 3 or Best of 5. Can see Conf Finals and the Cup going back to 7 games.

A guy who if you turned into a gumbo is a wild mix of sports podcaster/TV reporter and sports writer.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #759203 is a reply to message #759200 ]
Sat, 18 April 2020 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

1 Cup

Teammate Avry wrote on Sat, 18 April 2020 19:49

smyth260 wrote on Sat, 04 April 2020 14:19

I look at the amount of money that Rogers and NBC stand to lose with no end to this season and yikes...

I think NBC pushes more than Rogers to get a season finished. Losing the Olympics, possibly Notre Dame football (I'll be amazed if any NCAA football happens) and the remainder of hockey in the same summer? That would hurt.

The 24 team idea was fun but for time sake I see them just going with 16 teams but first and 2nd rounds are either Best of 3 or Best of 5. Can see Conf Finals and the Cup going back to 7 games.

Players want this too! Despite what guys like Doughty and the veteran high end guys say, the league is built on the 3-5M guys. Most the guys don’t want to give up the monies lost in escrow or rollbacks.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #759116 is a reply to message #758091 ]
Thu, 16 April 2020 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr. Oil  is currently offline Dr. Oil

1 Cup

I think that the NHL needs to simplify things and clean up a bit post-pandemic. Trim down the number of teams-- start by getting rid of Vancouver and Calgary, and maybe Florida and Arizona. The league will improve in a hurry.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #759559 is a reply to message #758091 ]
Fri, 24 April 2020 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Take this with a MAJOR grain of salt because it sure sounds like there is a lot of logistics to figure out before the NHL resumes, but John Scott tweeted this out an hour ago:

Quote:

John Scott @johnscott_32
Just got word that the NHL camps will begin again June 1... European players are coming back soon #breaking

I'll believe it when I hear the NHL confirm it. Or Bob McKenzie.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #759560 is a reply to message #759559 ]
Fri, 24 April 2020 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 24 April 2020 18:47

Take this with a MAJOR grain of salt because it sure sounds like there is a lot of logistics to figure out before the NHL resumes, but John Scott tweeted this out an hour ago:

Quote:

John Scott @johnscott_32
Just got word that the NHL camps will begin again June 1... European players are coming back soon #breaking

Fingers crossed!

Heard some bummer talk on the radio where there was speculation that if Edmonton was picked as a location that the Oilers wouldn't actually play here because it would be an unfair advantage. Teams would all have to play in an "away" type setting :( Hope that doesn't end up being the case, although it makes sense.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #759565 is a reply to message #759560 ]
Fri, 24 April 2020 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 24 April 2020 19:28

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 24 April 2020 18:47

Quote:

John Scott @johnscott_32

Fingers crossed!

Heard some bummer talk on the radio where there was speculation that if Edmonton was picked as a location that the Oilers wouldn't actually play here because it would be an unfair advantage. Teams would all have to play in an "away" type setting :( Hope that doesn't end up being the case, although it makes sense.

I don't think there would be much of an advantage besides being familiar with the building. I don't think they could leave to their homes and come back... if it's going to happen, it's going to need to be as a self-contained bubble as much as possible. I expected all teams, staff, TV crews, hotel staff, league staff, etc. to be bunkered up in the JW Marriott and travel between Archetype, the Community Rink, Rogers Place, and the JW. Maybe they open up the Grand Villa Casino and Match.

People were mentioning how it would be an economic gain for the city, and there would be some, but I can't imagine it spilling over too much. The J.W. Marriott would be busy and fully staffed, but I can't see a scenerio where people are free to roam around downtown going to restaurants and bars. I think it'll be a pretty locked down.

And if that's the case, I don't know that it really advantages the Oilers all that much.

The one thing I'm not sure about is how they would rework the schedule. The Oilers were right about to go on an Eastern road trip to Washington, Philadelphia, and Ottawa, and only actually had about 5 games left against the Pacific, even though they had 11 games left. I'm sure that's not the same for everyone. Were they actually planning on finishing the season, and if so, how do you make that jive with the schedule? Do they change it up so that they are playing more games against divisional opponents this year, but finish with 82 games? Or do they jump right into the playoffs.

I still tend to think a wildcard week where the five bubble teams in the East and West duke it out for the final spots is probably the best option and then jump into the playoffs. But I also wouldn't mind seeing Connor McDavid hitting 100 points and Draisaitl continuing to stretch career marks for himself as well.

It'll be interesting.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #759704 is a reply to message #758091 ]
Wed, 29 April 2020 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-needs-teams-bidding- host-isolated-games/

Spector weighs in on the post-COVID hockey plans.

I have to say, if I'm a player, I'm arguing hard for a place without jock taxes and with as little state tax as possible. You're going to get about 10% of your pay there, so you would ideally like it to be in a place where as little of that as possible goes to the government by way of tax - Especially knowing that you're never seeing your escrow money this year. That's long gone.

I think it makes little sense to involve a lot of 6th seeds - That seems silly. The Ducks were sitting 11 points back of a playoff spot with 11 games to go. They're five points back of the 7th-in-the-Central Blackhawks, and yet they'd get playoff games and the chance at a Cinderella run? Talk about an asterisk.

It'll be interesting to see what falls out of all this.

Re: Let's Hear Your Ideas: Post-Pandemic NHL Scenarios [message #759705 is a reply to message #759704 ]
Wed, 29 April 2020 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 29 April 2020 17:48

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-needs-teams-bidding- host-isolated-games/

Spector weighs in on the post-COVID hockey plans.

I have to say, if I'm a player, I'm arguing hard for a place without jock taxes and with as little state tax as possible. You're going to get about 10% of your pay there, so you would ideally like it to be in a place where as little of that as possible goes to the government by way of tax - Especially knowing that you're never seeing your escrow money this year. That's long gone.

I think it makes little sense to involve a lot of 6th seeds - That seems silly. The Ducks were sitting 11 points back of a playoff spot with 11 games to go. They're five points back of the 7th-in-the-Central Blackhawks, and yet they'd get playoff games and the chance at a Cinderella run? Talk about an asterisk.

It'll be interesting to see what falls out of all this.

I think I'm okay with the proposal. Sure, Buffalo and Anaheim probably shouldn't be there, but it also should be a cake walk for the #3 seed to walk through them. And it's not like every other year when it is "normal" there isn't someone screaming it is unfair because a team in the West that makes it has fewer point than a team in the East or whatever.

I don't think there is any perfect solution; scaling back point to a certain game mark or using winning percentage has flaws just the same as this does. But it does reward the #1 and #2 seed with essentially a bye to the second round, and it should give the #3 seed a fairly easy warmup series against the #6 seed. #4 and #5 should be a battle because they likely were in competition for the final spot anyway.

I understand the drawbacks, but it's as good as anything I've heard proposed so far.

Put another way, it probably lets a couple teams in that shouldn't be there, but it doesn't keep any teams out that should be there (NYR weren't making it anyway, despite how that fanbase will protest this).

[Updated on: Wed, 29 April 2020 18:37]

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Next Topic:Rather than retiring Lowe’s jersey
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca