This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749953]
Fri, 20 December 2019 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   0%
Pittsburgh to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2019-20 Regular Season
Saturday, November 2, 2019Edmonton 2 @ Pittsburgh 1 (OT)Win
Friday, December 20, 2019Pittsburgh 5 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 2/2 Total: 4
Home / Road Goals Against: 5/1 Total: 6

2018-19 Regular Season
Tuesday, October 23, 2018Pittsburgh 6 @ Edmonton 5 (OT)Loss
Wednesday, February 13, 2019Edmonton 1 @ Pittsburgh 3Loss
Home Record: 0-0-1       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 0-1-1
Home / Road Goals For: 5/1 Total: 6
Home / Road Goals Against: 6/3 Total: 9

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749958 is a reply to message #749953 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I need a must win update

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749964 is a reply to message #749958 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 08:32

I need a must win update

The mustiest of wins.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749965 is a reply to message #749964 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 09:34

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 08:32

I need a must win update

The mustiest of wins.

Spread that mustiness until it gets to the Oilers for this must win. We need it!

https://media.tenor.com/images/a1fce5367b5e994df8bf44e10dfe4efa/tenor.gif

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749969 is a reply to message #749953 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Biggest game of the season (so far)! I’ve been racking my brain to come up with short phrase to describe how important tonight’s game is... ... ... a-ha! It’s perfect! Tonight, for the Edmonton Oilers is a.. MUST WIN!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749973 is a reply to message #749969 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Line for tonight.

Nuge - McDavid-Kassian
Neal - Leon - Gagner
Nygard - Haas - Chiasson
Khaira - Sheahan - Archibald.

Smith gets the start.

I expect Nuge to have a good game tonight because the coach realized the only way you get Nuge to do anything is to put him with elite level players and not have him at center. At 5 on 5 he's a complimentary player and it's pretty hard for a line to succeed if your center is a complimentary player.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749975 is a reply to message #749973 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Well at least by playing wing, Nuge won’t be relied on as much defensively. #visuallybetter

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749976 is a reply to message #749975 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 10:54

Well at least by playing wing, Nuge won’t be relied on as much defensively. #visuallybetter

Absolutely, he's been struggling in that department as well.

Trade for a winger to go on the second line and you'd have 2 decent top 6 lines. I am looking at you Toffoli.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749986 is a reply to message #749976 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 10:57

Trade for a winger to go on the second line and you'd have 2 decent top 6 lines. I am looking at you Toffoli.

It would be somewhat hilarious to watch the Oilers media throng defending a trade for Toffoli to bolster the second line after seeing them pooh-pooh the suggestion that we could have used Hall. Especially if we gave up something significant to get him...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749990 is a reply to message #749986 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 12:44

It would be somewhat hilarious to watch the Oilers media throng defending a trade for Toffoli to bolster the second line after seeing them pooh-pooh the suggestion that we could have used Hall. Especially if we gave up something significant to get him...

Yeah, I feel it’s Pageau or bust in their minds and that giving up a 1st for the elusive 3C is of greater benefit.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749991 is a reply to message #749990 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 11:53

Adam wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 12:44

Yeah, I feel it’s Pageau or bust in their minds and that giving up a 1st for the elusive 3C is of greater benefit.

If there's one thing the Edmonton sports-writers like, it's a third or fourth-liner done good. The grinders always get greater praise here than the ones who actually put points on the board. Look how often Spector has talked about issues with the top end of the terrible rosters and questioned their commitment or care level or attention to details, etc. while giving a free pass to the depth that never contributes at all other than the occasional hit, and the management that assembled that depth. It goes back years and years here. It's not much different than the love of the gritty shot-blocker like Russell, compared to the disdain for a silky puck-moving defenceman like a Petry or Poti...

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749984 is a reply to message #749975 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'm still of the belief that Nuge has played hurt all year and the hand thing has been worse than the team let on.

Although I do think some of his drop-off is also luck. His shot rate isn't a lot worse than it was last year, despite the fact that his linemates have been a joke most nights. His shooting percentage is just 7.9% compared to a career average of 11.6%. That's an extra 3 goals if he's just at career average rates.

He does have just 8 ES points this year though...that's concerning (although again, somewhat linked to the lack of wingers).

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749988 is a reply to message #749984 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 12:41

I'm still of the belief that Nuge has played hurt all year and the hand thing has been worse than the team let on.

Although I do think some of his drop-off is also luck. His shot rate isn't a lot worse than it was last year, despite the fact that his linemates have been a joke most nights. His shooting percentage is just 7.9% compared to a career average of 11.6%. That's an extra 3 goals if he's just at career average rates.

He does have just 8 ES points this year though...that's concerning (although again, somewhat linked to the lack of wingers).

I forget who tweeted it, but someone had tweeted morning that the hand thing is still bothering Nuge and faceoffs aggravate it or something. I’ll try to find it again.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749977 is a reply to message #749973 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 10:49

Line for tonight.

Nuge - McDavid-Kassian
Neal - Leon - Gagner
Nygard - Haas - Chiasson

Smith gets the start.

I expect Nuge to have a good game tonight because the coach realized the only way you get Nuge to do anything is to put him with elite level players and not have him at center. At 5 on 5 he's a complimentary player and it's pretty hard for a line to succeed if your center is a complimentary player.

Does the Tip have the fortitude to stick with Drai on a 2nd line? :)

How could Drai not be thinking at this point that as soon as things aren't working (usually in less than 1 games time) he'll be right back on the 1st line where he wants to be, after it happening the last 20 times that McLellan and Hitch and Tippett tried to spread things out.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749978 is a reply to message #749977 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 12:20

Line for tonight.

Nuge - McDavid-Kassian
Neal - Leon - Gagner
Nygard - Haas - Chiasson

Smith gets the start.

How could Drai not be thinking at this point that as soon as things aren't working (usually in less than 1 games time) he'll be right back on the 1st line where he wants to be, after it happening the last 20 times that McLellan and Hitch and Tippett tried to spread things out.

It’s almost as if they’ve know, deep down, that the only chance this team has to win is if McDrai are on the same line.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749980 is a reply to message #749978 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Nuge had good success with McDavid setting him up last year. Perhaps if that happens, they will leave McDavid and Leon apart. I think long term, they are a better team if they separate them.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749983 is a reply to message #749980 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 12:28

Nuge had good success with McDavid setting him up last year. Perhaps if that happens, they will leave McDavid and Leon apart. I think long term, they are a better team if they separate them.

I realize I’m likely in the minority with this thought however, you know how we often hear that the Oilers need a 3C? I’m of the thinking we need a 2C and a 3C. Sheahan is a good 4C and PKer, McDavid obviously a 1C. Drai seems a better winger and you can’t deny the chemistry he and McDavid have.

Nuge is not defensively responsible enough for the 2C role and without capable wingers he’s a more expensive (and more offensive) Yak. (Maybe not THAT extreme but... I just said it).

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749987 is a reply to message #749983 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 11:40

I realize I’m likely in the minority with this thought however, you know how we often hear that the Oilers need a 3C? I’m of the thinking we need a 2C and a 3C. Sheahan is a good 4C and PKer, McDavid obviously a 1C. Drai seems a better winger and you can’t deny the chemistry he and McDavid have.

Nuge is not defensively responsible enough for the 2C role and without capable wingers he’s a more expensive (and more offensive) Yak. (Maybe not THAT extreme but... I just said it).

I disagree here - I think that Nuge has shown plenty of defensive responsibility over the years. I just think you need to put him in a position to be successful. A second line with fourth line wingers isn't going to cut it.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749992 is a reply to message #749987 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 12:47

I disagree here - I think that Nuge has shown plenty of defensive responsibility over the years. I just think you need to put him in a position to be successful. A second line with fourth line wingers isn't going to cut it.

As I said, minority. I agree he’s been decent defensively in years past, perhaps this hand thing has a lot to do with it and it’s causing him to be over protective of it. I wouldn’t call Neal a 4th line winger though. Every other winger on the team not named Kassian, sure.

Perhaps it’s his hand. Perhaps it’s his wingers. Perhaps we’ll never know till he gets moved at the deadline next season when we’ve fallen out of the race due to depth and he’ll be an expiring UFA.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749993 is a reply to message #749992 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 11:58

Adam wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 12:47

As I said, minority. I agree he’s been decent defensively in years past, perhaps this hand thing has a lot to do with it and it’s causing him to be over protective of it. I wouldn’t call Neal a 4th line winger though. Every other winger on the team not named Kassian, sure.

Perhaps it’s his hand. Perhaps it’s his wingers. Perhaps we’ll never know till he gets moved at the deadline next season when we’ve fallen out of the race due to depth and he’ll be an expiring UFA.

At even strength, I would rather have Neal playing further down the lineup. I haven't seen a lot to suggest he's doing that well at 5v5 so far. Some of that might be luck, but I wonder if you move him down the lineup if you don't see an improvement against weaker opponents. Problem is, there's no one to move up. Same thing with Chiasson - he's ideally not a top-six guy.

Nuge has barely had the same pair of wingers more than a couple games in a row too due to everyone sucking. Nygard, Granlund, Russell, Jurco, Archibald - everyone's had a shot with Nuge at some point this year.

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749994 is a reply to message #749992 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Oy, it is sad to think that he is nearing UFA. That Oilers have royally disserviced Nuge.

Clean house or bust

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749995 is a reply to message #749994 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 12:06

Oy, it is sad to think that he is nearing UFA. That Oilers have royally disserviced Nuge.

Hey - we still have next year! I'm sure if we make the playoffs for a second time in his career, he'll be thrilled to sign up for more!

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749997 is a reply to message #749983 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I like Nuge on the wing. He is not consistent enough to be a top 6 C. Maybe he gets there one day, but he still isn't. His playmaking 5v5 is weak as well. He needs to play with a playmaker and he needs to primarily be a shooter on his line. You put him with guys like Chaisson and Neal and you should expect not much to happen. Nuge can't set them up, and they can't set up Nuge. It's just 3 guys with minimal ability to create anything with passing.

Although, funny enough, in the 100 minutes Neal-Nuge-Chaisson were together, they actually had good analytics :) and 50% GF which is the stuff of miracles for a line without McDAvid on this team. Still, I stand by that if you left that line together longer, it would be just as meh as most of what we put in the bottom 9.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 December 2019 12:34]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #749996 is a reply to message #749978 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 11:22

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 12:20

Line for tonight.

Nuge - McDavid-Kassian
Neal - Leon - Gagner
Nygard - Haas - Chiasson

Smith gets the start.

It’s almost as if they’ve know, deep down, that the only chance this team has to win is if McDrai are on the same line.

Is that why Drai performs worse than Nuge when he's away from McDavid? To force the coach to do what he knows is best and put him back on the 1st line? :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #750028 is a reply to message #749973 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Line for tonight.

Nuge - McDavid-Kassian
Neal - Leon - Gagner
Nygard - Haas - Chiasson

Smith gets the start.

https://i.imgur.com/wa36miY.gif

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #750030 is a reply to message #750028 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 17:00

Line for tonight.

Nuge - McDavid-Kassian
Neal - Leon - Gagner
Nygard - Haas - Chiasson

Smith gets the start.

Oh no, you didn’t! You were spot on last time... uuugh.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #750031 is a reply to message #750030 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 16:06

But it’s Opposite Day today! Smith will come through with another 50 plus save effort over the Pens. Boom. It is written.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38) [message #750039 is a reply to message #750031 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 17:31 Go to previous message

5 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 17:11

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 16:06

But it’s Opposite Day today! Smith will come through with another 50 plus save effort over the Pens. Boom. It is written.

Nice cover. I still plan to have a bottle within reach just in case though..

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Previous Topic:GDT: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca