This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747865 is a reply to message #747862 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goffer48  is currently offline goffer48

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 16:22

goffer48 wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 15:51

HMMMMMmmmmm....

Criticism only comes when there is something to be critical of.
.... purely a point of perception;
Given that the Oilers have been a sinkhole of failure for most of the past 15 years, there has not been a lot to NOT be critical about.
...... I can definitely see your point there, but in a round about way, you've made my point...... We're no longer in that 'sinkhole' ; but people seem to be finding it very difficult to trust the positive vibes surrounding the team now.... but negativity is like an addiction that is hard to withdraw from... which initiated my post into this thread.

All critics are doing are pointing out what is wrong.
...... Another point of perception, based on opinion, and not necessarily correct.

You're basically not making much sense, but I guess that's the booze talking.
No merit, No Response

I'm not going to let you draw me any further down towards your level .

I've had enough.

The Oilers have missed the playoffs 12 out of the past 13 seasons since their playoff run in '06. In that time, they've finished at or near the bottom in most of those seasons which is how they netted 5 #1 overall picks including the one that got them Connor. Are these all just "points of perception"? Is it called something else when people including myself point out these facts?

In a sports league, the general objective is to prove that one or one's team is the best by defeating all others in order to win something call a championship, the one for the NHL being called the Stanley Cup. When a team fails to even qualify for the competition where one can win that trophy, does it not count as a failure to succeed? Do you have a different definition of "success" than the one generally used in professional sports?

"Down to my level"? So basically, you want to hide from facts by calling them "opinions" and only show up to post when the team is doing well. This is borne out when I look at your posting history, as you only seem to show up mostly during times when the team is doing well such as in 2016-17, but not so much in the years before or between that season and this one. You are hilarious to me.

Also, I actually don't mind seeing guys like you around these forums. You know why? Because it allows me at a quick glance to see that the team is indeed doing well- when these forums are mostly empty because guys like you go back to lurking, it means that the team is in the toilet yet again. It's like a Success-O-Meter, and not just for the Oilers but any pro team.

OKAY .. YOU WIN

-Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
-Don't mess with old folks, they didn't get old by being stupid.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747889 is a reply to message #747862 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

HMMMMMmmmmm....

Given that the Oilers have been a sinkhole of failure for most of the past 15 years, there has not been a lot to NOT be critical about.
...... I can definitely see your point there, but in a round about way, you've made my point...... We're no longer in that 'sinkhole' ; but people seem to be finding it very difficult to trust the positive vibes surrounding the team now.... but negativity is like an addiction that is hard to withdraw from... which initiated my post into this thread.

...... Another point of perception, based on opinion, and not necessarily correct.

No merit, No Response

I've had enough.

The Oilers have missed the playoffs 12 out of the past 13 seasons since their playoff run in '06. In that time, they've finished at or near the bottom in most of those seasons which is how they netted 5 #1 overall picks including the one that got them Connor. Are these all just "points of perception"? Is it called something else when people including myself point out these facts?

In a sports league, the general objective is to prove that one or one's team is the best by defeating all others in order to win something call a championship, the one for the NHL being called the Stanley Cup. When a team fails to even qualify for the competition where one can win that trophy, does it not count as a failure to succeed? Do you have a different definition of "success" than the one generally used in professional sports?

"Down to my level"? So basically, you want to hide from facts by calling them "opinions" and only show up to post when the team is doing well. This is borne out when I look at your posting history, as you only seem to show up mostly during times when the team is doing well such as in 2016-17, but not so much in the years before or between that season and this one. You are hilarious to me.

Also, I actually don't mind seeing guys like you around these forums. You know why? Because it allows me at a quick glance to see that the team is indeed doing well- when these forums are mostly empty because guys like you go back to lurking, it means that the team is in the toilet yet again. It's like a Success-O-Meter, and not just for the Oilers but any pro team.

That 5th first overall .... man that guy was a bum! What was his name again?

What gets me is the level of hyperbole and some of the ridiculous rumours that come out from the always-negatives.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747896 is a reply to message #747889 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 06:38

What gets me is the level of hyperbole and some of the ridiculous rumours that come out from the always-negatives.

I'm curious what hyperbole and ridiculous rumours you're talking about?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747952 is a reply to message #747896 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 08:45

Who was that 5th FOA again? ....just a minor example

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747982 is a reply to message #747952 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 12:45

Adam wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 08:45

Who was that 5th FOA again? ....just a minor example

I don't think there was 5 first overalls - I'm sure if someone said that that they made a mistake and meant four. To be fair, that sounds optimistic! Maybe someone is thinking that a 5th first overall will finally push us over the edge?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747951 is a reply to message #747889 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

I dunno, but he couldn't be all that good if he hasn't won a Cup yet.

From what I've seen, the more "negative" commenters here tend to poop on ridiculous rumours and avoid hyperbole, unless you count simply pointing out that the Oilers haven't been a very good team for most of the past 15 years as hyperbole.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #748110 is a reply to message #747951 ]
Thu, 28 November 2019 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 12:45

I dunno, but he couldn't be all that good if he hasn't won a Cup yet.

From what I've seen, the more "negative" commenters here tend to poop on ridiculous rumours and avoid hyperbole, unless you count simply pointing out that the Oilers haven't been a very good team for most of the past 15 years as hyperbole.

Perhaps I didn't use the correct terminology. It just gets tiresome reading so much negativity about things like minor roster moves or even *anything* that is tried to make the team better. I agree the team has been shiite for most of the last decade and a half, but I prefer to wait and see and try to be a little optimistic in most cases (except Lucic, had a baaaaad feeling as soon as he signed). Now I don't advocate becoming a fanbase like the Dys' , but a little more positivity would be nice ....

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #748162 is a reply to message #748110 ]
Thu, 28 November 2019 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Thu, 28 November 2019 10:31

Perhaps I didn't use the correct terminology. It just gets tiresome reading so much negativity about things like minor roster moves or even *anything* that is tried to make the team better. I agree the team has been shiite for most of the last decade and a half, but I prefer to wait and see and try to be a little optimistic in most cases (except Lucic, had a baaaaad feeling as soon as he signed). Now I don't advocate becoming a fanbase like the Dys' , but a little more positivity would be nice ....

Chicken and egg- this place would be more positive if there was more to be positive about from this franchise, for example if it were better run. We will be negative about rester moves when they are terrible, for example, Chia-pet trading Cags for Manning of all people. Destroying scoring depth for a D-man who is at best a fringe-NHL'er and at worst is useless is the kind of thing that puts frowns on people's faces here.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #748168 is a reply to message #748162 ]
Thu, 28 November 2019 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 28 November 2019 20:29

Chicken and egg- this place would be more positive if there was more to be positive about from this franchise, for example if it were better run. We will be negative about rester moves when they are terrible, for example, Chia-pet trading Cags for Manning of all people. Destroying scoring depth for a D-man who is at best a fringe-NHL'er and at worst is useless is the kind of thing that puts frowns on people's faces here.

Those were obviously horrible. I’m referring more to the Granlunds, Jurcos, Nygaards and Persson’s of the world. Jones has been no better than Persson, who I think was quite good - if unspectacular- given he is also a rookie who happens to have about the same amount of pro experience as Jones - he just started later. Jurco shows flashes but hasn’t worked out, true. Granlund started slow but has improved quite a bit in the last couple of weeks. The kind of thing that gets me is how universally these moves were dumped on and disparaged at the beginning of the season even though we hadn’t seen the moves (as a whole) in action. I think Holland has done a very good job given the mess Chia left. Koskinen has been unfairly (to an extent) criticized, when much of his late season dive was obviously due to overwork and the effect of the horri-bad Talbot had on the whole team last year.

Anyway, I too will never forgive Lowe for what he has done to this franchise (through his own management and his obvious role in the decisions on his various successors), but I still am an Oilers fan (46 yrs and counting) and I see far more room for positivity than I usually see from certain posters here. Everyone has a right an opinion, I am simply stating that it gets tiresome at times to wade through the shear volume of complaints and it has at times affected my enjoyment of the site. Constructive criticism is good and many excellent posters (negative or not) still make this site entertaining though.

( I realize I am all over the place with this post but I find editing on an ipad tedious so I will just leave it as is) icon_biggrin Fight

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #748234 is a reply to message #748168 ]
Fri, 29 November 2019 22:25 Go to previous message
goffer48  is currently offline goffer48

No Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Thu, 28 November 2019 23:21

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 28 November 2019 20:29

Those were obviously horrible. I’m referring more to the Granlunds, Jurcos, Nygaards and Persson’s of the world. Jones has been no better than Persson, who I think was quite good - if unspectacular- given he is also a rookie who happens to have about the same amount of pro experience as Jones - he just started later. Jurco shows flashes but hasn’t worked out, true. Granlund started slow but has improved quite a bit in the last couple of weeks. The kind of thing that gets me is how universally these moves were dumped on and disparaged at the beginning of the season even though we hadn’t seen the moves (as a whole) in action. I think Holland has done a very good job given the mess Chia left. Koskinen has been unfairly (to an extent) criticized, when much of his late season dive was obviously due to overwork and the effect of the horri-bad Talbot had on the whole team last year.

Anyway, I too will never forgive Lowe for what he has done to this franchise (through his own management and his obvious role in the decisions on his various successors), but I still am an Oilers fan (46 yrs and counting) and I see far more room for positivity than I usually see from certain posters here. Everyone has a right an opinion, I am simply stating that it gets tiresome at times to wade through the shear volume of complaints and it has at times affected my enjoyment of the site. Constructive criticism is good and many excellent posters (negative or not) still make this site entertaining though.

( I realize I am all over the place with this post but I find editing on an ipad tedious so I will just leave it as is) icon_biggrin Fight

MJ .. ?? Where is that damn "LIKE" button

-Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
-Don't mess with old folks, they didn't get old by being stupid.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747974 is a reply to message #747862 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

HMMMMMmmmmm....

No merit, No Response

I've had enough.

If my son throws a party and trashes the house 12 out or 13 times that I go on vacation, I'm going to be skeptical for a long damn time, especially if he did it the last two or three times I went away.

Maybe four or five years of good competitive hockey and a limited number of outright bad trades and signings, and I'll be ready to reduce my criticalness.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747980 is a reply to message #747974 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 15:57

HMMMMMmmmmm....

No merit, No Response

I've had enough.

If my son throws a party and trashes the house 12 out or 13 times that I go on vacation, I'm going to be skeptical for a long damn time, especially if he did it the last two or three times I went away.

Maybe four or five years of good competitive hockey and a limited number of outright bad trades and signings, and I'll be ready to reduce my criticalness.

Fair ball. On side, and we have a good goal.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747678 is a reply to message #747621 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Weird quote from Tocchet after the game.

Catherine Silverman @catmsilverman
Rick Tocchet specifically complimented the way the officials called the game tonight.

“We had two veteran refs. I like how they called this game... rough [the opposition] up, they aren’t going to call it. Protect the house.”

Thanks for ignoring the rule book to favour the home team basically?

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747686 is a reply to message #747678 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 10:40

Rick Tocchet specifically complimented the way the officials called the game tonight.

“We had two veteran refs. I like how they called this game... rough [the opposition] up, they aren’t going to call it. Protect the house.”

What's not to like for Tocchet. The refs called the game that benefited his team. They aren't skilled so they need to be allowed to play hook and grab in order to keep pace. My fav was when the one Coyote had McDavid in a leg lock. Literally was holding onto his leg in the air not allowing McDavid to skate then went into the Oilers zone to rip in a goal.

That's what the fans of this league want to see. NHL 3rd and 4th liners pinning the best players to the ice so they can't do anything. It wouldn't surprise me if the ref was watching it yelling at McDavid to "battle through it".

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747687 is a reply to message #747686 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 11:41

What's not to like for Tocchet. The refs called the game that benefited his team. They aren't skilled so they need to be allowed to play hook and grab in order to keep pace. My fav was when the one Coyote had McDavid in a leg lock. Literally was holding onto his leg in the air not allowing McDavid to skate then went into the Oilers zone to rip in a goal.

That's what the fans of this league want to see. NHL 3rd and 4th liners pinning the best players to the ice so they can't do anything. It wouldn't surprise me if the ref was watching it yelling at McDavid to "battle through it".

That was just your standard totally acceptable "protect the house" play!

https://i.imgur.com/7whzJOE.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747688 is a reply to message #747687 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 11:56

Too bad there wasn't a clip of Tocchet. I wonder if he was yelling "old time hockey boys" from the bench. The freaking linesmen has to come up to tell the guy to let go. You just know if McDavid had of made any kind of aggressive move to try to pull his foot free, he would have gotten a penalty.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747689 is a reply to message #747688 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 12:06

Too bad there wasn't a clip of Tocchet. I wonder if he was yelling "old time hockey boys" from the bench. The freaking linesmen has to come up to tell the guy to let go. You just know if McDavid had of made any kind of aggressive move to try to pull his foot free, he would have gotten a penalty.

Imagine if he yanked his leg and hurt his knee. That's McDavid's knee he injured that Fisher is holding onto. If he fell down he could have twisted his knee too, Fisher had it tight.

Good old time hockey.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747691 is a reply to message #747689 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 12:12

Imagine if he yanked his leg and hurt his knee. That's McDavid's knee he injured that Fisher is holding onto. If he fell down he could have twisted his knee too, Fisher had it tight.

Good old time hockey.

The guy is lucky McDavid didn't try to yank out his leg and he get badly cut.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747692 is a reply to message #747691 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 12:17

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 November 2019 12:12

Good old time hockey.

The guy is lucky McDavid didn't try to yank out his leg and he get badly cut.

He'd feel better after McDavid got a 5 game suspension for doing it.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #26) [message #747736 is a reply to message #747678 ]
Mon, 25 November 2019 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Quote:

So who owns the Arizona team now? Is it still controlled by the NHL? If that's the case, who pays the referees ?

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #28)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #27)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca