This day on July 4
Acquired: Stan Weir (1979) Marty Reasoner (2006)

Happy Birthday To: shuyin13, G-Whiz, snipes67, nerik, asukasammy

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may RetirePages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742938]
Wed, 18 September 2019 09:35 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/11742900568 67192832?s=20

"Dustin Byfuglien, currently on personal leave from WPG, is believed to be using the time to ponder his NHL future. I’m not saying Byfuglien is retiring; I’m not saying he’s coming back to play. Only that he’s contemplating his options and there’s no timetable for a decision."

Pretty unexpected story here. He is 34, has 14 million dollars over 2 years on his contract left, and has had concussions.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742943 is a reply to message #742938 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

5 Cups

If Byfuglien retires, based on what I read, his cap hit will be off the books. With the loss of Trouba, Myers and now Byf, that's a lot of dmen gone especially vets. The Oilers have a vet dman who's a heart and soul guy, who's signed for 2 more years, making 4 mill in cap hit but next year it's only 2.5 mill in dollars in Russell. He's pretty versatile, probably wouldn't cost a team much to get him and given the amount of younger dmen looking for spots, the Oilers could probably afford to let him go.

Just saying Jets. icon_biggrin

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742950 is a reply to message #742943 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

Given his age and career history, I wouldn't be too surprised if he retires. His lifetime earnings of $65,000,000 should take care of him and his family for the rest of their lives.

Sure does leave the Jets in a mess on defense, though, and through the whole team that not so long ago looked like a team ready to make a long playoff run.

I'd be okay with the Oilers letting go of Russell to the Jets, providing he would waive his no-movement clause so that Winnipeg would be on his list of 10 teams he would be willing to go to.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742954 is a reply to message #742950 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 09:24

Given his age and career history, I wouldn't be too surprised if he retires. His lifetime earnings of $65,000,000 should take care of him and his family for the rest of their lives.

Sure does leave the Jets in a mess on defense, though, and through the whole team that not so long ago looked like a team ready to make a long playoff run.

I'd be okay with the Oilers letting go of Russell to the Jets, providing he would waive his no-movement clause so that Winnipeg would be on his list of 10 teams he would be willing to go to.

He had some concussion issues in the past, might be the reason... he'll be giving up 2 x $7 million, so big decision.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner, Petrovic = Nathan Legare

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742957 is a reply to message #742954 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 10:56

He had some concussion issues in the past, might be the reason... he'll be giving up 2 x $7 million, so big decision.

Two words: Load Management

Seriously though, if a guy is worried about his body, mind, and future it's a tough choice.

This is fine.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742959 is a reply to message #742957 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 10:22

I'd bet that it will happen eventually in the NHL. They have already moved that way with goalies. I don't see why it wouldn't with star players.

Quite simply, the NHL season has too many games for a sport that tough on the body. I'd be very supportive of less games. I'd happily pay the same amount of money for less hockey but more meaningful games.

It will probably never happen though. TV deals, beer sales yada yada yada.

Clean house or bust

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742963 is a reply to message #742959 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 11:49

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 10:22

I'd bet that it will happen eventually in the NHL. They have already moved that way with goalies. I don't see why it wouldn't with star players.

Quite simply, the NHL season has too many games for a sport that tough on the body. I'd be very supportive of less games. I'd happily pay the same amount of money for less hockey but more meaningful games.

It will probably never happen though. TV deals, beer sales yada yada yada.

I would do it now. Not as much as what's his name in Toronto, but I'd definitely let important players skip the second game of a road back to back. Or bring a third tender onto the roster so the goalies could avoid a day of travel on road back to backs. Stuff like that. I wouldn't do it for home games, but do I care about the 3400 fans in Florida on a Tuesday night? Nope. Not even a little.

This is fine.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742994 is a reply to message #742954 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 09:56

He's already made over $56 million (minus taxes). $14 million versus health might not be that big of a decision.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #753389 is a reply to message #742994 ]
Mon, 03 February 2020 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Looks like the Jets and Byfuglien are going to end their relationship.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jets-dustin-byfuglien-wo rking-mutual-contract-termination/

"The termination would open the door for Byfuglien to sign with another team as an unrestricted free agent immediately. It would also create $7.6 million in cap space for the Jets to spend elsewhere. However, before a termination is made official, Byfuglien would first need to pass through waivers, as Ilya Kovalchuk did when he and the Kings agreed to mutually terminate his contract earlier this season.

Byfuglien could be placed on waivers as early as Tuesday morning. If we were to be eligible to play in the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs, Byfuglien would need to sign a new contract somewhere by Feb. 24."

Can Byfuglien help an NHL team the rest of the season and in the playoffs? With his injury issues and rust from missing most of the season, my gut reaction is no, but Byfuglien can dominate any game if he is in the right mental and physical condition.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #753390 is a reply to message #753389 ]
Mon, 03 February 2020 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 03 February 2020 17:42

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jets-dustin-byfuglien-wo rking-mutual-contract-termination/

"The termination would open the door for Byfuglien to sign with another team as an unrestricted free agent immediately. It would also create $7.6 million in cap space for the Jets to spend elsewhere. However, before a termination is made official, Byfuglien would first need to pass through waivers, as Ilya Kovalchuk did when he and the Kings agreed to mutually terminate his contract earlier this season.

Byfuglien could be placed on waivers as early as Tuesday morning. If we were to be eligible to play in the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs, Byfuglien would need to sign a new contract somewhere by Feb. 24."

Can Byfuglien help an NHL team the rest of the season and in the playoffs? With his injury issues and rust from missing most of the season, my gut reaction is no, but Byfuglien can dominate any game if he is in the right mental and physical condition.

That's a lot of bling for Buff to give up. Wonder if the Jets are pushing hard for him to prove he can't play, and he knows he can't give sufficient enough evidence. So, choice between being suspended and not paid, or just agreeing to part.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #753403 is a reply to message #753390 ]
Tue, 04 February 2020 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 03 February 2020 19:59

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 03 February 2020 17:42

That's a lot of bling for Buff to give up. Wonder if the Jets are pushing hard for him to prove he can't play, and he knows he can't give sufficient enough evidence. So, choice between being suspended and not paid, or just agreeing to part.

Sad times in Winnipeg with this Buff situation, he's very loved here. The truth of the matter is he's played exactly 10 regular season games since January 1st, 2019, plus all six playoff games. So 16 total games in 13 months, at 34-years old, he's probably done. Hard to come back from that long off at that age, especially when he's not exactly a gym rat. I will always love the guy, but I believe his playing days are over, sadly.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #753416 is a reply to message #753403 ]
Tue, 04 February 2020 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

I can't see Byf signing with another team this season. He's never been a physical specimen or a workout junkie so I can't imagine conditioning wise he's in tip top shape. Even if he was in decent shape, sounds like his offseason may or may not have been interrupted, he missed all of camp, all of preseason and every game so far and they have played over 50 games. So he's going to be way, way, way behind everyone in the league.

IF they are looking for a dman, the Oilers have a rock solid, heart and soul who, good guy in the room, do anything to win guy who can move up and down the pairs and play both sides in Russell.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #753419 is a reply to message #753416 ]
Tue, 04 February 2020 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 04 February 2020 09:24

I can't see Byf signing with another team this season. He's never been a physical specimen or a workout junkie so I can't imagine conditioning wise he's in tip top shape. Even if he was in decent shape, sounds like his offseason may or may not have been interrupted, he missed all of camp, all of preseason and every game so far and they have played over 50 games. So he's going to be way, way, way behind everyone in the league.

IF they are looking for a dman, the Oilers have a rock solid, heart and soul who, good guy in the room, do anything to win guy who can move up and down the pairs and play both sides in Russell.

Don't forget he is also a cowboy.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #753424 is a reply to message #753419 ]
Tue, 04 February 2020 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 04 February 2020 09:27

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 04 February 2020 09:24

Don't forget he is also a cowboy.

Hell yeah man!! I would think given the population of Manitoba and Winnipeg, Winnipeggers are probably good, solid, blue collar people much like most Oilers fans. They should love a block a puck with your face if you have too, cowboy like Russell.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759168 is a reply to message #753424 ]
Fri, 17 April 2020 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

So the Byfuglien contract is terminated, apparently be mutual agreement.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jets-dustin-byfuglien-re ach-agreement-terminate-contract/

"Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff told reporters after the announcement that there’s no financial settlement as part of the agreement. Byfuglien was slated to earn $8 million this season and $6 million next. He was in the second-last season of a five-year, $38-million contract with the Jets.

“No financial settlement. Just a mutual agreement to terminate and walk away,” said Cheveldayoff."

Byfuglien should be able to take care of himself and his family with his career earnings. Wish I could walk away from $ 14 million.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759174 is a reply to message #759168 ]
Fri, 17 April 2020 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 17 April 2020 15:15

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jets-dustin-byfuglien-re ach-agreement-terminate-contract/

"Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff told reporters after the announcement that there’s no financial settlement as part of the agreement. Byfuglien was slated to earn $8 million this season and $6 million next. He was in the second-last season of a five-year, $38-million contract with the Jets.

“No financial settlement. Just a mutual agreement to terminate and walk away,” said Cheveldayoff."

Byfuglien should be able to take care of himself and his family with his career earnings. Wish I could walk away from $ 14 million.

This is a bizarre story. Byfuglien went from possibly playing to not playing to personal leave, to saying he was injured and fighting a legal battle with the team over payment for this year to terminating the remainder of his deal for no further cost to the Jets.

It's a good outcome for Winnipeg, but I can't see how that's a good one for Byfuglien. Taking a full year off and with some serious injury concerns, he's unlikely to get anything close to those numbers from another team. He won't be able to get insurance to cover any of that either. He's basically just left $14MM on the table.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759176 is a reply to message #759174 ]
Fri, 17 April 2020 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 17 April 2020 17:13

This is a bizarre story. Byfuglien went from possibly playing to not playing to personal leave, to saying he was injured and fighting a legal battle with the team over payment for this year to terminating the remainder of his deal for no further cost to the Jets.

It's a good outcome for Winnipeg, but I can't see how that's a good one for Byfuglien. Taking a full year off and with some serious injury concerns, he's unlikely to get anything close to those numbers from another team. He won't be able to get insurance to cover any of that either. He's basically just left $14MM on the table.

It’s called the Le’veon Bell technique. Give up more money today to make less future money.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759179 is a reply to message #759174 ]
Fri, 17 April 2020 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 17 April 2020 16:13

Byfuglien and doctors signed off on his end of season medical saying that he was healthy. He didn't report to camp after that. He probably should have if he wanted to get paid.

My guess is that he felt entitled to money and he had no case, thus the news today.

Clean house or bust

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759220 is a reply to message #742938 ]
Sun, 19 April 2020 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

If it didn't sound like there was something behind the scenes before that was the root of this, it sure does now. Not that I'm privy to it or going to speculate at all.

This is what Emily Byfuglien wrote on her Instagram (
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_FtgHoAQ61):

Quote:

After 8 years of playing for Winnipeg, this chapter of our life comes to a close

I have nothing but gratitude towards the Jets for an amazing 8 years in Winnipeg. What an awesome experience it has been. From having our first baby here, to now raising 3 kids in this much loved community. We have grown up together and as a family here, and I wouldn’t change that for the world. The support from Winnipeggers has been overwhelming. I appreciate all of you that have reached out to me with support and kindness.

No one can know for certain what their future may bring. I never thought for a second our time here would be cut short under these circumstances. The past 8 months have been the hardest of my life. I struggled to come to terms with the situation. I struggled as a wife and as a mother under the stress. I didn’t want any of it to be true. This has been the only life I’ve known for a long time, and I am beyond devastated to have to leave here. I love this city, and the people in it. I had the best 8 years of Dustin’s NHL career here in Winnipeg.

I am going to miss every second of Dustin playing here. I’ll miss these amazing girls who are some of my absolute best friends. I’ll miss the schools, activities, and sports for the kids. There is just something about Winnipeg that is different. People feel like, and treat you like family, and I’m so grateful to have experienced this.

I will always be a Winnipegger at heart. Thank you so much to this city and the Jets organization for everything.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759222 is a reply to message #759220 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

I don't begrudge a guy for deciding he's done. I am sure unless he is completely careless with his money, he's made enough to set himself and his kids up. His reasons for leaving are his own. What I don't like his him going to the team right before camp and telling them he's not feeling it, can't do it or whatever he said to them. By the sounds of it, the team was completely left in the dark and though everything was fine. I don't know how much communication a team has with it's players over the offseason but I am sure there is some. So up until he decided he wasn't coming at the last minute, they were under the impression he was healthy and doing what he needed to do to be ready. Whatever his reasons were, I highly doubt he was completely healthy and trained and all ready to go one day, then the next flipped and decided he was done for good. My guess was it was on his mind for a while. He was probably leaning towards it for a while and just didn't bother to say anything until he had too. He put the team into an extremely horrible situation on purpose. I know he's supposedly a different guy and like I said, financially he will probably be alright but to just up and drop your grievance and leave 14 mill on the table to me the fact speaks to my theory because I think his agent and lawyers after finding out all the evidence told him you have zero chance and this will go badly for you.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759228 is a reply to message #759222 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 06:48

I don't begrudge a guy for deciding he's done. I am sure unless he is completely careless with his money, he's made enough to set himself and his kids up. His reasons for leaving are his own. What I don't like his him going to the team right before camp and telling them he's not feeling it, can't do it or whatever he said to them. By the sounds of it, the team was completely left in the dark and though everything was fine. I don't know how much communication a team has with it's players over the offseason but I am sure there is some. So up until he decided he wasn't coming at the last minute, they were under the impression he was healthy and doing what he needed to do to be ready. Whatever his reasons were, I highly doubt he was completely healthy and trained and all ready to go one day, then the next flipped and decided he was done for good. My guess was it was on his mind for a while. He was probably leaning towards it for a while and just didn't bother to say anything until he had too. He put the team into an extremely horrible situation on purpose. I know he's supposedly a different guy and like I said, financially he will probably be alright but to just up and drop your grievance and leave 14 mill on the table to me the fact speaks to my theory because I think his agent and lawyers after finding out all the evidence told him you have zero chance and this will go badly for you.

Why do people think that professional athletes are any different than regular workers? You can quit your job without notice, and you're in no way obligated to tell them you're thinking about it. But just because a guy is a professional athlete there are supposed to be different rules?

I imagine that it was a pretty difficult decision for Byfuglian to walk away from the NHL. IMO he should take all the time that he wants to make that decision, and tell the Jets whenever he feels like telling them.

You can bet that if they were allowed to NHL teams would cancel contracts with no notice all the time.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 pace: 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) after 64 games

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759230 is a reply to message #759228 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 10:54

Why do people think that professional athletes are any different than regular workers? You can quit your job without notice, and you're in no way obligated to tell them you're thinking about it. But just because a guy is a professional athlete there are supposed to be different rules?

I imagine that it was a pretty difficult decision for Byfuglian to walk away from the NHL. IMO he should take all the time that he wants to make that decision, and tell the Jets whenever he feels like telling them.

You can bet that if they were allowed to NHL teams would cancel contracts with no notice all the time.

Just because a guy is a professional athlete there are supposed to be different rules? YES. They're pretty clearly defined by the collective agreement and their player contracts.

And of course teams would like to be able to cancel contracts. Regular workers get fired all the time... but they can't because they're interactions with employees is governed a collective agreement and player contract.

This is fine.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759233 is a reply to message #759230 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 11:08

Just because a guy is a professional athlete there are supposed to be different rules? YES. They're pretty clearly defined by the collective agreement and their player contracts.

And of course teams would like to be able to cancel contracts. Regular workers get fired all the time... but they can't because they're interactions with employees is governed a collective agreement and player contract.

Couldn't agree more. Dude makes more in a year than most in a lifetime. Or 2 or 3 lifetimes. Of course he is held to a higher standard and plays by a different set of rules regarding employment. His status as a player, with such a big cap hit, has a significant impact on the overall outlook of a $420 million (nice) franchise. He's not like a member of the majority of the working world that can up and quit and be replaced relatively easily. These deals should mean something.

Sure he has his reasons to quit that we don't know about, but screwing around at the beginning of the season is not a good look.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 April 2020 11:54]

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759234 is a reply to message #759230 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Byfuglien took pretty hard consequences for his actions there. He's forfeited a tonne of money, so I don't feel too sorry for the Jets. Besides, as an Oilers fan, I just wish that they were still stuck under the cap hit for another couple of years. I do HATE that other teams seem to be able to un-do their mistakes much easier than the Oilers ever do.

The weird thing here is that he may not be retiring, but rather just moving on.

I do wonder if the mutual agreement to terminate contracts might have helped players like Wade Redden or Alex Mogilny get back to the NHL instead of buried in the minors? There are situations where that probably makes more sense for the player - although I really like that teams can't sign ridiculous contracts and then just wish them away...

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759235 is a reply to message #759234 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

oops :)

[Updated on: Mon, 20 April 2020 12:34]

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759237 is a reply to message #759234 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 12:01

Byfuglien took pretty hard consequences for his actions there. He's forfeited a tonne of money, so I don't feel too sorry for the Jets. Besides, as an Oilers fan, I just wish that they were still stuck under the cap hit for another couple of years. I do HATE that other teams seem to be able to un-do their mistakes much easier than the Oilers ever do.

The weird thing here is that he may not be retiring, but rather just moving on.

I do wonder if the mutual agreement to terminate contracts might have helped players like Wade Redden or Alex Mogilny get back to the NHL instead of buried in the minors? There are situations where that probably makes more sense for the player - although I really like that teams can't sign ridiculous contracts and then just wish them away...

If he wasn't fined for breaking a contract, he didn't give up any money. He simply won't be paid for work he didn't perform. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fine, most contracts have a clause that sets out how to deal with failure to comply with the terms.

The thing about mutual clauses is they have to be mutual.

This is fine.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759236 is a reply to message #759230 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 10:08

Lol, sure. Just point me to the clause in the CBA where it says players have to tell their employers what they're thinking at all times. Or that they have to give teams 2 months notice if they're not going to report to camp.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 pace: 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) after 64 games

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759238 is a reply to message #759236 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 12:31

Lol, sure. Just point me to the clause in the CBA where it says players have to tell their employers what they're thinking at all times. Or that they have to give teams 2 months notice if they're not going to report to camp.

I'm sure there isn't one. At least, I'd never agree to one if I was on the NHLPA bargaining committee. But that doesn't mean the contract isn't a pre-determined payment for a pre-determined amount of work over a pre-determined amount of time. When a contract party unilaterally changes the terms of a contract... there are usually consequences.

Most workers don't have those conditions. I'm not sure why you think players agreeing to two layers of different clauses doesn't make them different.

This is fine.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759243 is a reply to message #759238 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 12:39

Goose wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 12:31

I'm sure there isn't one. At least, I'd never agree to one if I was on the NHLPA bargaining committee. But that doesn't mean the contract isn't a pre-determined payment for a pre-determined amount of work over a pre-determined amount of time. When a contract party unilaterally changes the terms of a contract... there are usually consequences.

Most workers don't have those conditions. I'm not sure why you think players agreeing to two layers of different clauses doesn't make them different.

Byfuglien claimed that he had injuries that made him unable to play last year. Yes, there's a year-end medical, but the Oilers didn't withhold payment from Sekera when he was injured during the summer. The difference with Byfuglien is that he didn't claim it was a training injury, but instead a pre-existing condition. It's possibly true. We do know that wear and tear can have cumulative damage, and that hockey teams regularly clear players for action when they're not 100%. I don't know what it says on that year end medical report, but even then, people get second opinions from doctors for a reason, and if the doctor is in the team's employ and the team sees a real benefit from having clean bills of health on those reports, there's going to be more reports than not that report the player being healthy.

The player sign-off may not preclude something being wrong too that either A) the player wasn't really aware of or B) didn't think was as big a deal as it ended up being.

I don't feel sorry for Byfuglien. He made his choices, and one of those choices he made was to walk away from millions of dollars. I suspect, given that he's chosen to void the contract rather than to retire or to claim injury and hope that he gets insurance coverage to pay out the balance like Lupul or Ference, that he intends to come back with another team (Chicago maybe - they love their boomerangs). I do think it's cap circumvention for the Jets - which sucks for us. I would have loved to see them have to buy-out Byfuglien and be stuck with a significant cap hit for the next four years.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759252 is a reply to message #759243 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 12:55

I do think it's cap circumvention for the Jets - which sucks for us. I would have loved to see them have to buy-out Byfuglien and be stuck with a significant cap hit for the next four years.

I know you want to hate the Jets, but do you really think so? They lost Trouba, they lost Myers, their defense is thin, and Byfuglien was still eating lots of minutes and would have been their #1 defensemen. Even with very little on the blueline, they are a bubble playoff team, and likely are better than that with Byfuglien in the lineup. I feel like they would have gladly paid the last two years of that deal.

I think there's more to it. Emily Byfuglien made it clear that the family didn't want to leave Winnipeg and were heartbroken to do so. Dustin Byfuglien initiated the holdout. If he plays again - and I'm not sure that's a guarantee - I imagine it might be closer to home for him, maybe Minnesota. But I'm just spitballing.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759255 is a reply to message #759252 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 13:29

I do think it's cap circumvention for the Jets - which sucks for us. I would have loved to see them have to buy-out Byfuglien and be stuck with a significant cap hit for the next four years.

I know you want to hate the Jets, but do you really think so? They lost Trouba, they lost Myers, their defense is thin, and Byfuglien was still eating lots of minutes and would have been their #1 defensemen. Even with very little on the blueline, they are a bubble playoff team, and likely are better than that with Byfuglien in the lineup. I feel like they would have gladly paid the last two years of that deal.

I think there's more to it. Emily Byfuglien made it clear that the family didn't want to leave Winnipeg and were heartbroken to do so. Dustin Byfuglien initiated the holdout. If he plays again - and I'm not sure that's a guarantee - I imagine it might be closer to home for him, maybe Minnesota. But I'm just spitballing.

I hate everyone who isn't the Oilers.

I do think it is - Byfuglien can't or won't play for the Jets and the Jets are out from under the burden of a monster contract that they signed with him. It was a HUGE contract given to a 31 year old player who plays big minutes and plays heavy hockey. It was ill-advised the day they signed it, because the chances are good that that kind of player isn't going to be able to play the same at 36 as he can at 31. They can now go spend that money - $7.6MM - on someone else.

The only good news is that one of the years they're out from under is the one that's just finishing so they can't re-spend it there.

It's only next year we really have to worry about. It's a big help for the Jets though - they have over $18MM in cap space now with no major free agents to deal with.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759256 is a reply to message #759255 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 13:48

I do think it is - Byfuglien can't or won't play for the Jets and the Jets are out from under the burden of a monster contract that they signed with him. It was a HUGE contract given to a 31 year old player who plays big minutes and plays heavy hockey. It was ill-advised the day they signed it, because the chances are good that that kind of player isn't going to be able to play the same at 36 as he can at 31. They can now go spend that money - $7.6MM - on someone else.

The only good news is that one of the years they're out from under is the one that's just finishing so they can't re-spend it there.

It's only next year we really have to worry about. It's a big help for the Jets though - they have over $18MM in cap space now with no major free agents to deal with.

He's put up between 45-53 points and 100+PIM in every year of the contract (except the last one when he had 31 points in 42 games... basically a 60+ point pace over a full season). I'd say he was living up to it just fine. He was a bit of a late bloomer and seemed to be producing steady later in his career.

I think when you have a player of his calibre locked up and wanting to play in Winnipeg, you keep that. Especially when your Neal Pionk is your #2 without him.

If he was injured, I guess he could have gone on the IR like Ference did with his "injury" or Hossa did with his "equipment rash". Jets would still get cap relief, though it would still create a few cap issues to start each season. For Byfuglien, this might have been a better financial option, though if healthy, given his production, he'd be expected to play.

If he had a clean bill of health, which it sounds like may have been the case as of late January, then really the only other option would be for the Jets to suspend him, and I don't think the results of that would have any different for the Byfuglien camp. The relationship between player and team might well have been good enough that if Byfuglien was either going to be suspended or have the contract terminated, Byfuglien might have done the team a favour and both parties might have preferred those optics and closure . It really sounds like it was quite amicable, which isn't always the case in these situations.

I guess the third option is that he wants to play close to home, like Hamonic did, like Martin St. Louis, and others did. It would make sense for a contract termination, though perhaps if this was the case he might have been more open or requesting a trade to that destination last fall or during the season. The fact none was ever requested or desired makes me a little skeptical that he wants to continue playing elsewhere.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 April 2020 14:11]

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759258 is a reply to message #759256 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 14:07

He's put up between 45-53 points and 100+PIM in every year of the contract (except the last one when he had 31 points in 42 games... basically a 60+ point pace over a full season). I'd say he was living up to it just fine. He was a bit of a late bloomer and seemed to be producing steady later in his career.

I think when you have a player of his calibre locked up and wanting to play in Winnipeg, you keep that. Especially when your Neal Pionk is your #2 without him.

If he was injured, I guess he could have gone on the IR like Ference did with his "injury" or Hossa did with his "equipment rash". Jets would still get cap relief, though it would still create a few cap issues to start each season. For Byfuglien, this might have been a better financial option, though if healthy, given his production, he'd be expected to play.

If he had a clean bill of health, which it sounds like may have been the case as of late January, then really the only other option would be for the Jets to suspend him, and I don't think the results of that would have any different for the Byfuglien camp. The relationship between player and team might well have been good enough that if Byfuglien was either going to be suspended or have the contract terminated, Byfuglien might have done the team a favour and both parties might have preferred those optics and closure . It really sounds like it was quite amicable, which isn't always the case in these situations.

I guess the third option is that he wants to play close to home, like Hamonic did, like Martin St. Louis, and others did. It would make sense for a contract termination, though perhaps if this was the case he might have been more open or requesting a trade to that destination last fall or during the season. The fact none was ever requested or desired makes me a little skeptical that he wants to continue playing elsewhere.

He was injured - he had ankle surgery in October, and I'm sure that wasn't cosmetic. He was still suspended during that part of the season and with this agreement, he agreed not to get paid for that part of the year too.

Yes - he did live up to the contract in the first three years, but that doesn't mean he would have in years 4 & 5, and it still was a bad bet at the time, even so!

Worth noting, he continued to live in Winnipeg through last year. I know people there who saw him and his family pretty regularly.

Just a weird story. I still wish it screwed over the Jets next year too. Hopefully something else bad befalls them.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759267 is a reply to message #759258 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 14:53

He was injured - he had ankle surgery in October, and I'm sure that wasn't cosmetic. He was still suspended during that part of the season and with this agreement, he agreed not to get paid for that part of the year too.

Yes - he did live up to the contract in the first three years, but that doesn't mean he would have in years 4 & 5, and it still was a bad bet at the time, even so!

Worth noting, he continued to live in Winnipeg through last year. I know people there who saw him and his family pretty regularly.

Just a weird story. I still wish it screwed over the Jets next year too. Hopefully something else bad befalls them.

Other than the season immediately following a new deal, no team but the oilers seems to pay the price for handing out fat deals. The flames will not have to suffer Lucic’s contract for the full term. Toronto used a bunch of suspect methods and timely injuries to avoid their cap problems this year. I expect the truth of the byfuglien cancellation is they paid him $X million under the table.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759270 is a reply to message #759267 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 15:43

Other than the season immediately following a new deal, no team but the oilers seems to pay the price for handing out fat deals. The flames will not have to suffer Lucic’s contract for the full term. Toronto used a bunch of suspect methods and timely injuries to avoid their cap problems this year. I expect the truth of the byfuglien cancellation is they paid him $X million under the table.

This still doesn't make sense to me. If he is healthy, he is living up to his contract and likely pushes them into the playoffs where they would make back a bunch of revenue. He's still a net positive for that organization.

If he isn't healthy, they more or less get that cap relief back anyways and insurance likely pays for it (the cap just gets tricky having to be cap compliant to start the season).

These things only make sense once the contract becomes worse than the contribution of the player. Byfuglien wasn't there yet.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759283 is a reply to message #759270 ]
Mon, 20 April 2020 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 16:01

This still doesn't make sense to me. If he is healthy, he is living up to his contract and likely pushes them into the playoffs where they would make back a bunch of revenue. He's still a net positive for that organization.

If he isn't healthy, they more or less get that cap relief back anyways and insurance likely pays for it (the cap just gets tricky having to be cap compliant to start the season).

These things only make sense once the contract becomes worse than the contribution of the player. Byfuglien wasn't there yet.

His stats hadn’t dropped off. He was injured or checked out, or both. Ultimately his expensive deal wasn’t worth it for 70ish games this year. And could have been an issue for a while longer.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759285 is a reply to message #759283 ]
Tue, 21 April 2020 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 23:02

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 20 April 2020 16:01

His stats hadn’t dropped off. He was injured or checked out, or both. Ultimately his expensive deal wasn’t worth it for 70ish games this year. And could have been an issue for a while longer.

Jets 100% did not want out of the Buff contract. He was their top D and a leader on the team. His play more than justified his contract. Buff simply did not want to play hockey anymore. It would shock me if he played on another team. He was deemed healthy at the year end medicals, both the team and the player signed off.

He skated at the captains skate just before training camp and i'm guessing something didn't feel right and he decided eff it, don't wanna play. The team asked him if he wanted a trade, he said no. He just needed time. The team gave him his personal leave.

Once training camp was closing, the team needed to suspend him for financial reasons, no point in paying a guy who's not there, and Buff agreed and understood.

Later in October, Buff decided on surgery to try and get himself healthy in order to play. At this point, he was all in to come back.

Once the rehab portion of the surgery was completed and it was time to skate, he again decided he didnt want to play. I believe this was in January. Again, the Jets asked him if he wanted a trade. Again, he said no. He maintained that this had nothing to do with a trade.

I don't believe any of the grievances filed were Buff's idea, i think that was the NHLPA pushing that agenda. By not reporting to training camp, any case that Buff or the NHLPA had was gone. Had he shown up to camp and deemed unhealthy, this is a different story. That's why the Jets were basically let off the hook shortly before the trade deadline. The Jets were told by the league that they were free to use Buff's cap money without consequence. I believe at this time, that's when any grievances were dropped.

Buff has always marched to his own drum, money does not matter to him. He's happiest with his family or fishing. Hockey was not his life, it was his job. For him to leave 14 million on the table is very typical of his character. Going on IR for the rest of his career is very against his character.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759288 is a reply to message #759285 ]
Tue, 21 April 2020 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Tue, 21 April 2020 08:53

Jets 100% did not want out of the Buff contract. He was their top D and a leader on the team. His play more than justified his contract. Buff simply did not want to play hockey anymore. It would shock me if he played on another team. He was deemed healthy at the year end medicals, both the team and the player signed off.

He skated at the captains skate just before training camp and i'm guessing something didn't feel right and he decided eff it, don't wanna play. The team asked him if he wanted a trade, he said no. He just needed time. The team gave him his personal leave.

Once training camp was closing, the team needed to suspend him for financial reasons, no point in paying a guy who's not there, and Buff agreed and understood.

Later in October, Buff decided on surgery to try and get himself healthy in order to play. At this point, he was all in to come back.

Once the rehab portion of the surgery was completed and it was time to skate, he again decided he didnt want to play. I believe this was in January. Again, the Jets asked him if he wanted a trade. Again, he said no. He maintained that this had nothing to do with a trade.

I don't believe any of the grievances filed were Buff's idea, i think that was the NHLPA pushing that agenda. By not reporting to training camp, any case that Buff or the NHLPA had was gone. Had he shown up to camp and deemed unhealthy, this is a different story. That's why the Jets were basically let off the hook shortly before the trade deadline. The Jets were told by the league that they were free to use Buff's cap money without consequence. I believe at this time, that's when any grievances were dropped.

Buff has always marched to his own drum, money does not matter to him. He's happiest with his family or fishing. Hockey was not his life, it was his job. For him to leave 14 million on the table is very typical of his character. Going on IR for the rest of his career is very against his character.

I hear what you're saying but:

1) He wasn't healthy. Somehow, his ankle was injured. That may have been hockey-related, that may have been training-related, or it could have been injured some other way. We've seen teams inconsistent about how they deal with those injuries they don't deem to be hockey-related. Training-related injuries tend to be covered, and some other injuries, like Eric Johnson rolling a golf cart, also seem to get covered, but there's others that aren't. There's a bunch of things you're not supposed to do - skydiving, etc. And sometimes partying injuries are really frowned on by teams as well. I remember a player a few years back who broke his ankle "stepping off a curb" and the team clearly didn't believe the story because they refused to pay.

It is odd that Byfuglien needed surgery and the Jets kept him suspended because of it and eventually get retroactively released from their obligations around it.

2) If he didn't want to play hockey any more, there's no reason to terminate the contract. He could have just retired and it achieves the same thing. He signed the deal before he was 35, so if he had retired, the cap hit doesn't count for the Jets. They could have settled on what was happening with last year's deal - which doesn't really matter since the season is no virtually over.

The only reason for Byfuglien to void the contract is because he wants to be free to get another one from someone else. Given that he just sat out for a year and that there was a bunch of drama around him, he's going to get offered just a fraction of what he gave up - but maybe that's part of it - it's unlikely he'd have been easy to trade with that albatross of a deal on a guy coming off a year on the sidelines and an ankle surgery. Instead he can go sign somewhere for $1.5MM on a one-year deal and easily fit under someone's cap.

There's no sense to this if he's just done playing hockey. It would have been easier and less dramatic to just announce his retirement.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759289 is a reply to message #759288 ]
Tue, 21 April 2020 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 21 April 2020 10:25

OilPeg wrote on Tue, 21 April 2020 08:53

I hear what you're saying but:

1) He wasn't healthy. Somehow, his ankle was injured. That may have been hockey-related, that may have been training-related, or it could have been injured some other way. We've seen teams inconsistent about how they deal with those injuries they don't deem to be hockey-related. Training-related injuries tend to be covered, and some other injuries, like Eric Johnson rolling a golf cart, also seem to get covered, but there's others that aren't. There's a bunch of things you're not supposed to do - skydiving, etc. And sometimes partying injuries are really frowned on by teams as well. I remember a player a few years back who broke his ankle "stepping off a curb" and the team clearly didn't believe the story because they refused to pay.

It is odd that Byfuglien needed surgery and the Jets kept him suspended because of it and eventually get retroactively released from their obligations around it.

2) If he didn't want to play hockey any more, there's no reason to terminate the contract. He could have just retired and it achieves the same thing. He signed the deal before he was 35, so if he had retired, the cap hit doesn't count for the Jets. They could have settled on what was happening with last year's deal - which doesn't really matter since the season is no virtually over.

The only reason for Byfuglien to void the contract is because he wants to be free to get another one from someone else. Given that he just sat out for a year and that there was a bunch of drama around him, he's going to get offered just a fraction of what he gave up - but maybe that's part of it - it's unlikely he'd have been easy to trade with that albatross of a deal on a guy coming off a year on the sidelines and an ankle surgery. Instead he can go sign somewhere for $1.5MM on a one-year deal and easily fit under someone's cap.

There's no sense to this if he's just done playing hockey. It would have been easier and less dramatic to just announce his retirement.

If he wanted to play hockey then why did he repeatedly say he didn't want to get traded as has been repoted? This isn't Lucic here where he is grossly overpaid but can't play. The guy had 31 pts in 42 games the season before. That's a 60 pt pace at 34 while playing HUGE minutes for the Jets. Say whatever you want about his age and his play dropping off. #1 players don't think like that. #2 As a big, right shooting, big minute playing, good puck moving, offensive, OK skating dman coming off a season where he was very productive even in limited time, given the premium teams have on guys exactly like him, someone would have traded for him even with his big cap hit. Maybe he doesn't put up 60 pts, I bet he could put up 40. The guy ever since he was a Jet has 8 consecutive years of 50+ pts. When he played a full season he was a lock to score over 50 pts. In the years he had injuries, he was still on an over 50 pt place. So if he wanted to play and it was just he was tired of Winnipeg, he could have been traded.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #759290 is a reply to message #759289 ]
Tue, 21 April 2020 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 21 April 2020 10:40

If he wanted to play hockey then why did he repeatedly say he didn't want to get traded as has been repoted? This isn't Lucic here where he is grossly overpaid but can't play. The guy had 31 pts in 42 games the season before. That's a 60 pt pace at 34 while playing HUGE minutes for the Jets. Say whatever you want about his age and his play dropping off. #1 players don't think like that. #2 As a big, right shooting, big minute playing, good puck moving, offensive, OK skating dman coming off a season where he was very productive even in limited time, given the premium teams have on guys exactly like him, someone would have traded for him even with his big cap hit. Maybe he doesn't put up 60 pts, I bet he could put up 40. The guy ever since he was a Jet has 8 consecutive years of 50+ pts. When he played a full season he was a lock to score over 50 pts. In the years he had injuries, he was still on an over 50 pt place. So if he wanted to play and it was just he was tired of Winnipeg, he could have been traded.

Just because he decided he didn't want to play hockey last year, doesn't mean he doesn't want to play hockey next year.

Also, maybe you missed the part about him having major surgery last October?

Or the part where if he was just done, he could just say he's retiring and create no buzz about the weirdness around voiding his contract...

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Caption This! Dustin Byfuglien edition
Next Topic:NHL Rewind
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca