Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742938]
Wed, 18 September 2019 09:35 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/11742900568 67192832?s=20

"Dustin Byfuglien, currently on personal leave from WPG, is believed to be using the time to ponder his NHL future. I’m not saying Byfuglien is retiring; I’m not saying he’s coming back to play. Only that he’s contemplating his options and there’s no timetable for a decision."

Pretty unexpected story here. He is 34, has 14 million dollars over 2 years on his contract left, and has had concussions.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742943 is a reply to message #742938 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

4 Cups

If Byfuglien retires, based on what I read, his cap hit will be off the books. With the loss of Trouba, Myers and now Byf, that's a lot of dmen gone especially vets. The Oilers have a vet dman who's a heart and soul guy, who's signed for 2 more years, making 4 mill in cap hit but next year it's only 2.5 mill in dollars in Russell. He's pretty versatile, probably wouldn't cost a team much to get him and given the amount of younger dmen looking for spots, the Oilers could probably afford to let him go.

Just saying Jets. icon_biggrin

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742950 is a reply to message #742943 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

Given his age and career history, I wouldn't be too surprised if he retires. His lifetime earnings of $65,000,000 should take care of him and his family for the rest of their lives.

Sure does leave the Jets in a mess on defense, though, and through the whole team that not so long ago looked like a team ready to make a long playoff run.

I'd be okay with the Oilers letting go of Russell to the Jets, providing he would waive his no-movement clause so that Winnipeg would be on his list of 10 teams he would be willing to go to.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742954 is a reply to message #742950 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 09:24

Given his age and career history, I wouldn't be too surprised if he retires. His lifetime earnings of $65,000,000 should take care of him and his family for the rest of their lives.

Sure does leave the Jets in a mess on defense, though, and through the whole team that not so long ago looked like a team ready to make a long playoff run.

I'd be okay with the Oilers letting go of Russell to the Jets, providing he would waive his no-movement clause so that Winnipeg would be on his list of 10 teams he would be willing to go to.

He had some concussion issues in the past, might be the reason... he'll be giving up 2 x $7 million, so big decision.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner, Petrovic = Nathan Legare

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742957 is a reply to message #742954 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 10:56

He had some concussion issues in the past, might be the reason... he'll be giving up 2 x $7 million, so big decision.

Two words: Load Management

Seriously though, if a guy is worried about his body, mind, and future it's a tough choice.

This is fine.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742959 is a reply to message #742957 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 10:22

I'd bet that it will happen eventually in the NHL. They have already moved that way with goalies. I don't see why it wouldn't with star players.

Quite simply, the NHL season has too many games for a sport that tough on the body. I'd be very supportive of less games. I'd happily pay the same amount of money for less hockey but more meaningful games.

It will probably never happen though. TV deals, beer sales yada yada yada.

Clean house or bust

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742963 is a reply to message #742959 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 11:49

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 10:22

I'd bet that it will happen eventually in the NHL. They have already moved that way with goalies. I don't see why it wouldn't with star players.

Quite simply, the NHL season has too many games for a sport that tough on the body. I'd be very supportive of less games. I'd happily pay the same amount of money for less hockey but more meaningful games.

It will probably never happen though. TV deals, beer sales yada yada yada.

I would do it now. Not as much as what's his name in Toronto, but I'd definitely let important players skip the second game of a road back to back. Or bring a third tender onto the roster so the goalies could avoid a day of travel on road back to backs. Stuff like that. I wouldn't do it for home games, but do I care about the 3400 fans in Florida on a Tuesday night? Nope. Not even a little.

This is fine.

Re: Byfuglien on Personal Leave and may Retire [message #742994 is a reply to message #742954 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 19:04 Go to previous message
nullterm is currently online nullterm

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 09:56

He's already made over $56 million (minus taxes). $14 million versus health might not be that big of a decision.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Previous Topic:Injuries and the NHL's Refereeing
Next Topic:Kuznetsov banned 4 years from Int'l Play
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca