This day on November 21
Departed: Jesse Boulerice (2008)

Happy Birthday To: Snowman99, gjlang

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Brassard to sign with the Oilers?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741717]
Tue, 20 August 2019 18:55 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

https://mobile.twitter.com/GeorgesLaraque/status/11639587612 51377152?s=19

I’m hearing in Edmonton that Derick Brassard is about to sign a 1 year deal with
@EdmontonOilers! Great signing!

This is from Georges Laraque...so who knows how credible this is.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741718 is a reply to message #741717 ]
Tue, 20 August 2019 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 20 August 2019 18:55

I’m hearing in Edmonton that Derick Brassard is about to sign a 1 year deal with

If it's cheap (and actually happening), that would be a nice pickup for the #3C spot.

Granlund-Brassard-Gagner as a 3rd line would be a heck of a lot better than anything with Gags at C. Or having to put Nuge down there and having to break up McDavid/Drai.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741719 is a reply to message #741718 ]
Tue, 20 August 2019 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 20 August 2019 18:58

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 20 August 2019 18:55

If it's cheap (and actually happening), that would be a nice pickup for the #3C spot.

Granlund-Brassard-Gagner as a 3rd line would be a heck of a lot better than anything with Gags at C. Or having to put Nuge down there and having to break up McDavid/Drai.

I'm not comfortable with Haas as a 3C. Am comfortable with Brassard as a 3C.

Maybe something like this:

Draisaitl / McDavid / Kassian
Chiasson / Nugent-Hopkins / Neal
Granlund / Brassard / Gagner
Khaira / Haas / Archibald

Nygard, Jurco

It's better. Kassian on the 1RW seems less than ideal, and Chiasson's signing seems completely unnecessary as there is a bit of a logjam in the 3RW, 4RW, 13F. Nygard could potentially push into the Top-6 if you were to believe some; maybe that makes Kassian expendable.

Anyways, it looks like there could be options. Brassard wouldn't be a bad pickup at all.

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741724 is a reply to message #741719 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

4 Cups

I have heard a few of the radio guys in Edmonton including Stauffer mention Brassard a few times. To me he makes a lot of sense as a 3rd line center because he skates well and has offensive ability. He's coming off a bad year but he still had 14 goals in 70 games. I have to think that at this point any contract would come in pretty cheap because at this time of year, unsigned UFA's are in the PTO territory.
So I hope it happens.

For lines, I would go with:

Draisaitl / McDavid / Kassian
Nygard or Granlund / Nugent-Hopkins / Neal
Nygard or Granlund / Brassard / Chiasson
Khaira / Haas or Cave / Archibald

Gagner, Jurco/Haas/Cave

Unless he can't play, I don't see Nygard as an extra forward. I also think a Chiasson - Nuge - Neal line doesn't have enough speed on it which is why I sub in on of Granlund or Nygard. I agree that having Kassian on the right side isn't ideal but in saying that, he played pretty well with Leon and McDavid. Leon and McDavid are SOOOO good together and I believe they just need a guy who can skate but has some size, isn't afraid to mix it up, will go to the net and can get in the corners and dig out some pucks. You don't want to have a guy who can't play, Kassian can play but the key for me is I think you need a guy with those 2 that has absolutely no illusions that he is a play maker or a super skilled guy. His job is to be the grind on that line and get the puck as fast as he can to one of Leon or McDavid.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 August 2019 08:17]

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741729 is a reply to message #741724 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

This is the first time in how many years that we might have competition for playing spots and playing time. If Brassard is signed then that fills a hole and creates some uneasiness among forwards, play well or sit or get sent down.

I hate this feeling of hope that I am feeling, I am not expecting to top the league but I am getting optimistic about this team being competitive.

Well it is August so might as well shoot for the playoffs, then the cup... rofl drink

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741731 is a reply to message #741729 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Gregor tweeted that there is no deal in place but both the Oilers and Brassard are interested. Apparently there is other teams interested.

I have to think that of all the teams that might be interested, not many can match the opportunity the Oilers would offer. You can all but guarantee he's their 3rd line center.

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741733 is a reply to message #741731 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 21 August 2019 09:50

Gregor tweeted that there is no deal in place but both the Oilers and Brassard are interested. Apparently there is other teams interested.

I have to think that of all the teams that might be interested, not many can match the opportunity the Oilers would offer. You can all but guarantee he's their 3rd line center.

Gregor's "source" said it's not happening? I guess that means it's happening within the next 24 hours :)

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741734 is a reply to message #741733 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 August 2019 09:52

Gregor's "source" said it's not happening? I guess that means it's happening within the next 24 hours :)

I hope it does happen because it makes a ton of sense for both sides. He'd instantly be the Oilers 3rd line center. The Oilers have loaded up with lots of depth guys so no matter who he plays with, he will have decent bottom 6 NHLers to play with. So he won't be asked to drag around AHLers. He probably gets second unit PP time and might even get PK time as Tippett has come out and said he wants to limit the amount of time McDavid and Leon are on the PK which I agree with. I don't want to see McDavid breaking a foot because he's out there trying to block shots on the PK.

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741740 is a reply to message #741733 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 August 2019 09:52

But, but, but, the cap!

For Gregor's sake, I hope he's right. He'll start to look pretty dumb if he was completely wrong on this.

For my sake I hope he's wrong. I think it'd be a good signing.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741741 is a reply to message #741740 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Unless the contract is well over 2 mill which at this point in the offseason, I don't see it, the cap isn't a problem. The Oilers have 2.4mill of cap space that is with a full roster. They have 14 forwards listed which includes Brodziak. If Brassard were to come in and sign for even 1 yr at 1.5 mill, you bury Brodziak's contract which pretty much all of it wouldn't count and the net result is you'd be adding 500K to the cap. There 2.4 mill in cap space also included Mannings contract on the books. No chance he is on the team so you'd get some savings there as well even with a replacement like Jones.

I think Holland said he wanted around 1.5 mill of cap space left over. So they could sign Brassard and easily have that happen. I hope it happens.

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741745 is a reply to message #741741 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

Just an opinion, but I think signing Brassard could be like Milan Lucic v2.0, albeit with a lower price tag. His production has fallen of the cliff and he will be 32 years old for the coming season; talk about overripe.

Cap Friendly has his lifetime earnings at over $38,000,000. Unless he has had Jack Johnson's family taking care of his finances, how motivated will he be to play for a couple of million on a team that travels a lot more than any of the Eastern teams he has played for?

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/derick-brassard

I won't be disappointed if Brassard doesn't agree to terms with the Oilers.

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741748 is a reply to message #741745 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 21 August 2019 13:16

Just an opinion, but I think signing Brassard could be like Milan Lucic v2.0, albeit with a lower price tag. His production has fallen of the cliff and he will be 32 years old for the coming season; talk about overripe.

Cap Friendly has his lifetime earnings at over $38,000,000. Unless he has had Jack Johnson's family taking care of his finances, how motivated will he be to play for a couple of million on a team that travels a lot more than any of the Eastern teams he has played for?

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/derick-brassard

I won't be disappointed if Brassard doesn't agree to terms with the Oilers.

I think it's more like Neal 2.0. Brassard was still putting up points 2 seasons ago. He completely mailed it in this last season for some reason. He's got skill, but he played like garbage last year for 3 different teams. Lucic never had much skill but for years was able to bull rush his way to success, but the game just left him in the dust as the average skill level improved and he got slower.

You would be gambling on Brassard putting the effort back into his play and trying to prove himself again. You also don't have to worry about a boat anchor contract like Lucic or Neal. Likely he signs around the 2M range for 1 year.

I think this is about as good a gamble as we can afford this season.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741746 is a reply to message #741717 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Connected talking heads now saying he is close to signing, but not with the Oilers. NYI is the rumour now.

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741752 is a reply to message #741717 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

All signs are now pointing to Brassard signing with the Islanders. ooohhhh welllll.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741753 is a reply to message #741752 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Stauffer made the comment that Brassard has played pretty much his entire career in the East. Unfortunately, that is a factor for some players.

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741754 is a reply to message #741752 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 August 2019 14:35

All signs are now pointing to Brassard signing with the Islanders. ooohhhh welllll.

I can't believe Georges "Word Vomit" Laraque was wrong on this one. First time I can think of that he didn't have the facts straight ahead of time.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741755 is a reply to message #741754 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

One thing I would like to see the Oilers do is bring in a center that can win some draws. I think part of the Oilers issues on the PK is they have been brutal on draws for a long time. Nuge has been a big time guy on the PK but I believe it was Gregor who said he was something like 39% on faceoffs on the PK. I wonder if Holland would bring in a guy like Riley Sheahan who he's familiar with. He had down year last year but the season before he had 32 pts. He's a career 50.5% on faceoffs and was 54% in Pittsburgh and 54.9% when he was in Florida for part of last season.

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741757 is a reply to message #741755 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Islanders made it official. 1 yr -1.2 mill for Brassard. He's dead to me!!

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741759 is a reply to message #741757 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

I was excited until I saw "Georges Laraque." Has about the same accuracy as TreenasOil.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741763 is a reply to message #741759 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 21 August 2019 17:34

I was excited until I saw "Georges Laraque." Has about the same accuracy as TreenasOil.

Didnt he get 4 or 5 right during FA, all in one tweet? At the time I assumed it was an agent leaking things to him or something.

Survivor LXI Champion

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 23 October 2019 08:54

Your winner and nnnneeeeeeeewwwwwwwww champion...

PlusOne (Bos)

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741760 is a reply to message #741757 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 21 August 2019 15:02

That may have been a clever move by Brassard's camp...leak that he's close to someone to spur some action with another team.

Seems a little odd that it would be Georges with the rumour - did they share an agent?

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741761 is a reply to message #741760 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 21 August 2019 17:35

That may have been a clever move by Brassard's camp...leak that he's close to someone to spur some action with another team.

Seems a little odd that it would be Georges with the rumour - did they share an agent?

Can't believe any of you wanted Brassard. He's a jerk, and basically Lucic, except worse. Poor man's Neo look-a-like from the Matrix part 3, that really crappy one that no one likes, minus any of the cyber-punk jesus powers.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741762 is a reply to message #741760 ]
Wed, 21 August 2019 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

It's too bad. Brassard actually made the Oilers lines look much better. Surprisingly so.

Brian Boyle the next target? Not my ideal 3C, but better than Haas and/or Cave.
Or do you just roll with Gagner at 3C, have a third line of Granlund / Gagner / Archibald, fourth of Khaira / Haas / Kassian.

Re: Brassard to sign with the Oilers? [message #741764 is a reply to message #741760 ]
Thu, 22 August 2019 08:21 Go to previous message

4 Cups

You could be right. If the Islanders were kicking tires, maybe thinking about a PTO and then all of a sudden it comes out he's close to signing with the Oilers, it might have lit a fire under them to give him a contract.

I keep seeing a few people mention Sheahan because Holland drafted him and had him for so long. I worry about if he has enough offense to be a 3rd line center but he had 11 goals, 32 pts in 73 games in the 17-18 season. That's 3rd line center numbers. Plus he's good on draws.

I am hoping that one of Marody or McLeod in maybe a year will be the 3rd line center, Marody probably being closer but for this season, I think they are thin. I want nothing to do with Brodziak on the team, just too old and slow. Granlund can play center but he is probably better suited for the wing. Khaira I had hoped he would be that guy but I don't think he is capable. Cave is no higher than a 4th line center. Then Haas is an unknown.

Previous Topic:how would you fix the salary cap?
Next Topic:Treenas oil is back!!!!!!
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca