Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Stauffer pumping up Bennett
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740444]
Sun, 14 July 2019 23:20 Go to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

1 Cup

https://twitter.com/bob_stauffer/status/1149537559145406464? s=12

Likely nothing, but it’s mid July and we need something to talk about.

Bennett for Puljujarvi +?

I could grow to not hate him.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740449 is a reply to message #740444 ]
Mon, 15 July 2019 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

4 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 14 July 2019 23:20

I thought I heard something was up with the Oilers and Flames but I couldn't find anything.

Flames have cap issues. They have just over 9 mill in space but have Rittich, Tkachuk and Bennett to sign, so there isn't enough money. Bennett was drafted 4th overall and there were people pissed the Oilers didn't take him over Leon including people in here. It's fair to say Bennett hasn't lived up to his draft position. Right now he's a 3rd line player. He is pretty much a lock to be a mid teens goal guy. Skates really well, plays with an edge, brings it every night, might be able to kill penalties. Could he elevate? Maybe.

If you do the deal, you are getting a for sure NHL 3rd liner who maybe could elevate. You are giving up the potential in JP who I don't know if he's even an NHLer at this point and if he is, right now he looks like a 3rd liner at best. So the Oilers would be getting a guy who instantly is on your team and helps you moving forward but giving up a guy who may never play or could be a good top 6 guy.

I'd probably do it.

Re: Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740450 is a reply to message #740449 ]
Mon, 15 July 2019 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 15 July 2019 08:39

I thought I heard something was up with the Oilers and Flames but I couldn't find anything.

Flames have cap issues. They have just over 9 mill in space but have Rittich, Tkachuk and Bennett to sign, so there isn't enough money. Bennett was drafted 4th overall and there were people pissed the Oilers didn't take him over Leon including people in here. It's fair to say Bennett hasn't lived up to his draft position. Right now he's a 3rd line player. He is pretty much a lock to be a mid teens goal guy. Skates really well, plays with an edge, brings it every night, might be able to kill penalties. Could he elevate? Maybe.

If you do the deal, you are getting a for sure NHL 3rd liner who maybe could elevate. You are giving up the potential in JP who I don't know if he's even an NHLer at this point and if he is, right now he looks like a 3rd liner at best. So the Oilers would be getting a guy who instantly is on your team and helps you moving forward but giving up a guy who may never play or could be a good top 6 guy.

I'd probably do it.

We have a tradition of trading for disappointing 4th overall picks. I say go for it!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740451 is a reply to message #740449 ]
Mon, 15 July 2019 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I'd probably do it.

I don't think there was anyone tearing their hair out over the Draisaitl pick:

http://oilfans.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=630184& ;rid=1325&SQ=5e7943868624872c256af197eb6b4d71#msg_630184

I'm curious who you thought was really "pissed" over that one...

For what it's worth, I don't see Calgary trading Bennett for Puljujarvi without a major sweetener. Disgruntled prospects don't tend to get you real NHL players with upside. Value for #98 right now is likely just depth draft picks or other projects, so while he could be an add-on to a deal for someone like Bennett, it's hard to see him as the centrepiece for it.

Also - Bennett isn't likely as much of a problem for Calgary as people think. Three straight years with between 11-13 goals, and 26-27 points. That's a player that should only cost you a couple million a year for the next two years. Even less if you can use Kevin Labanc as a comparable.

As an aside, the funniest post in the Draisaitl thread:

g2k wrote on Sat, 28 June 2014 10:17

Only 2 Rexall appearances.

Tue Nov 25 and Sunday March 1.

A playoff round would be nice.

Silly g2k - how did you not foresee the Oilers leaving a center spot open for Draisaitl that fall, especially since Prince Albert only had a couple games in Edmonton! How do you sell hope on a player most people don't get to see!

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740452 is a reply to message #740451 ]
Mon, 15 July 2019 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 15 July 2019 09:35

I'd probably do it.

I don't think there was anyone tearing their hair out over the Draisaitl pick:

http://oilfans.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=630184& ;amp ;rid=1325&SQ=5e7943868624872c256af197eb6b4d71#msg_630184

I'm curious who you thought was really "pissed" over that one...

For what it's worth, I don't see Calgary trading Bennett for Puljujarvi without a major sweetener. Disgruntled prospects don't tend to get you real NHL players with upside. Value for #98 right now is likely just depth draft picks or other projects, so while he could be an add-on to a deal for someone like Bennett, it's hard to see him as the centrepiece for it.

Also - Bennett isn't likely as much of a problem for Calgary as people think. Three straight years with between 11-13 goals, and 26-27 points. That's a player that should only cost you a couple million a year for the next two years. Even less if you can use Kevin Labanc as a comparable.

As an aside, the funniest post in the Draisaitl thread:

g2k wrote on Sat, 28 June 2014 10:17

Only 2 Rexall appearances.

Tue Nov 25 and Sunday March 1.

A playoff round would be nice.

Silly g2k - how did you not foresee the Oilers leaving a center spot open for Draisaitl that fall, especially since Prince Albert only had a couple games in Edmonton! How do you sell hope on a player most people don't get to see!

When it comes to Bennett, I don't think he is a problem. He's a good NHLer. But when you are taking a guy 4th overall, most teams I assume are hoping to get more than a 3rd liner. He's got 4 straight years of OK 3rd liner goals and not that great 3rd liner points. His career high was 38 pts. He has had 3 straight years under 30 pts. I listen to Calgary radio all the time and the consensus is he's underperformed for them based on what they hoped. I mention Bennett and he might be out there because they need to sign Tkachuk, Rittich and Bennett with 9 mill of cap space. On a good contract, I think Tkachuk alone will take up most of the 9 mill. He had 34 goals and 77 pts. That's a 7+ mill player all day long. Then Rittich even on a real good contract has to come in around 3 mill. Bennett was making 1.95 mill so even if you pay his qualify contract, there isn't enough money. I agree with you that you would need a sweetner with JP. Bennett is an NHLer and JP isn't but you are saving Calgary money in cap space and cap space is GOLD in the NHL. So I don't think the sweetner would be huge.

Re: Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740455 is a reply to message #740452 ]
Mon, 15 July 2019 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 15 July 2019 10:11

When it comes to Bennett, I don't think he is a problem. He's a good NHLer. But when you are taking a guy 4th overall, most teams I assume are hoping to get more than a 3rd liner. He's got 4 straight years of OK 3rd liner goals and not that great 3rd liner points. His career high was 38 pts. He has had 3 straight years under 30 pts. I listen to Calgary radio all the time and the consensus is he's underperformed for them based on what they hoped. I mention Bennett and he might be out there because they need to sign Tkachuk, Rittich and Bennett with 9 mill of cap space. On a good contract, I think Tkachuk alone will take up most of the 9 mill. He had 34 goals and 77 pts. That's a 7+ mill player all day long. Then Rittich even on a real good contract has to come in around 3 mill. Bennett was making 1.95 mill so even if you pay his qualify contract, there isn't enough money. I agree with you that you would need a sweetner with JP. Bennett is an NHLer and JP isn't but you are saving Calgary money in cap space and cap space is GOLD in the NHL. So I don't think the sweetner would be huge.

We've talked about this before with Oilers players. Where they are drafted doesn't matter - not after draft day.

A player is what he becomes, not what you hoped when he was an 18 year old, and one of the biggest mistakes teams make is trading a player simply because they hoped he'd be something different than he is.

Of course they're disappointed - the media built up Bennett to be the next coming of Doug Gilmour (except without the babysitter drama). But any good GM doesn't look at that - he only looks at what is in front of him - which is a serviceable NHL player who does a lot of good things and is pretty hard to play against.

As for cap hit, Puljujarvi won't cost you much less than Bennett - if he's in your lineup, and the agent and player clearly hope he's still in the NHL - then he's AT MINIMUM a $1MM player, and quite possibly a little higher. Bennett hasn't done much to earn more than his qualifying offer. I'll be surprised if he gets much of a raise from the arbitrator - if it even gets that far. Cap space is gold, but if it's only a few hundred thousand, then there's a limited value.

Edmonton and Calgary aren't usual deal partners on anything, but this is also a deal with considerable risk both ways, which makes it even less likely to work. No one wants to make a trade in the division and then have that person light them up for a decade in 6 contests a year (and possibly playoffs, although that's less likely a concern for the Oilers).

The interesting thing in Calgary will be seeing what the arbitrator brings back on Rittich and Bennett. If you were a team with cap space, it might be fun to lob an offer sheet at Tkachuk right at the point where they agree to those deals.

And if you really want Bennett, who knows! Maybe the arbitrator gets stupid and Calgary has to decide to walk away...I sure wouldn't make any deal before seeing if they're put over a barrel...

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740456 is a reply to message #740455 ]
Mon, 15 July 2019 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 15 July 2019 10:37

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 15 July 2019 10:11

We've talked about this before with Oilers players. Where they are drafted doesn't matter - not after draft day.

A player is what he becomes, not what you hoped when he was an 18 year old, and one of the biggest mistakes teams make is trading a player simply because they hoped he'd be something different than he is.

Of course they're disappointed - the media built up Bennett to be the next coming of Doug Gilmour (except without the babysitter drama). But any good GM doesn't look at that - he only looks at what is in front of him - which is a serviceable NHL player who does a lot of good things and is pretty hard to play against.

As for cap hit, Puljujarvi won't cost you much less than Bennett - if he's in your lineup, and the agent and player clearly hope he's still in the NHL - then he's AT MINIMUM a $1MM player, and quite possibly a little higher. Bennett hasn't done much to earn more than his qualifying offer. I'll be surprised if he gets much of a raise from the arbitrator - if it even gets that far. Cap space is gold, but if it's only a few hundred thousand, then there's a limited value.

Edmonton and Calgary aren't usual deal partners on anything, but this is also a deal with considerable risk both ways, which makes it even less likely to work. No one wants to make a trade in the division and then have that person light them up for a decade in 6 contests a year (and possibly playoffs, although that's less likely a concern for the Oilers).

The interesting thing in Calgary will be seeing what the arbitrator brings back on Rittich and Bennett. If you were a team with cap space, it might be fun to lob an offer sheet at Tkachuk right at the point where they agree to those deals.

And if you really want Bennett, who knows! Maybe the arbitrator gets stupid and Calgary has to decide to walk away...I sure wouldn't make any deal before seeing if they're put over a barrel...

I know you have mentioned this multiple times Adam that after draft day, it doesn't matter where a player is taken. I am sure I am not alone when I say, you are wrong on that. It ultimately does not matter one bit what the fans and media people think. But there isn't a team out there who goes into the draft and the years after with the mindset that the goal for your first round pick is they just play somewhere. As long as they crack the 4th line, it's a success.

I am sorry but that is just wrong man. When you are a first round pick, you are supposed to be a good player. The higher you are picked in the draft, the better the player is expected to be. When you are a top 5 pick, you are expected to be a very good player. There isn't a team out there that expects a top 5 player to be a 3rd liner. I went through the I think last 10 yrs of top 5 picks not long ago and I think it was over 80% of these guys were either really, really, really good or star players.

So while you are correct in saying that Bennett is not a bad pick because he's a successful NHLer and not a complete fail, I am sure that Calgary and all of the people that wanted and projected him would say on some levels, they made a mistake because he is not a top 6 player like I am sure they projected him to be which was the reason for taking him. If you were to do the draft over, he would be taken way, way lower because the goal isn't to get a 3rd liner with the #4.

Re: Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740472 is a reply to message #740456 ]
Mon, 15 July 2019 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 15 July 2019 11:23

I know you have mentioned this multiple times Adam that after draft day, it doesn't matter where a player is taken. I am sure I am not alone when I say, you are wrong on that. It ultimately does not matter one bit what the fans and media people think. But there isn't a team out there who goes into the draft and the years after with the mindset that the goal for your first round pick is they just play somewhere. As long as they crack the 4th line, it's a success.

I am sorry but that is just wrong man. When you are a first round pick, you are supposed to be a good player. The higher you are picked in the draft, the better the player is expected to be. When you are a top 5 pick, you are expected to be a very good player. There isn't a team out there that expects a top 5 player to be a 3rd liner. I went through the I think last 10 yrs of top 5 picks not long ago and I think it was over 80% of these guys were either really, really, really good or star players.

So while you are correct in saying that Bennett is not a bad pick because he's a successful NHLer and not a complete fail, I am sure that Calgary and all of the people that wanted and projected him would say on some levels, they made a mistake because he is not a top 6 player like I am sure they projected him to be which was the reason for taking him. If you were to do the draft over, he would be taken way, way lower because the goal isn't to get a 3rd liner with the #4.

A good GM realizes that what's done is done, and that you can't reset the draft. You pick players where they were ranked on draft day, but player development isn't consistent from person to person, and it's not a straight line either.

Yes, when you pick high, you're hoping that guy is a star, but if he's not a star and simply a really capable NHL player, it's a mistake to allow your disappointment there to drive any decisions.

We have seen the Oilers do that many times - they have dumped (and dumped on) perfectly capable players because they didn't align with the team's expectations from them out of the gate. Good general managers have a short memory for that sort of thing, especially with kids. Unlike a signing, where you're paying someone on the basis of what you expected him to be, with new players, you have cost certainty for the first three years while you figure out what they are so if they are only adequate rather than awesome, you're not over-paying them and you can adjust accordingly.

Even with signings, you need some ability to separate what you thought and what is reality - because some of these guys (read Lucic) are possibly unmoveable for their whole deal, so you're better to accept what they've become rather than make the mistake of continuing to try to jam the square peg in to the round hole.

What you hoped is just not important, and if you make decisions based on that, you're likely too ruled by your emotions to be a good GM. And you're probably underselling because of that too...see Cogliano for a 2nd round pick, for example.

Re: Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740457 is a reply to message #740444 ]
Mon, 15 July 2019 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

I think I could live with a Pulju/Bennett swap.

When is the last time an Oiler gave someone a nice slew foot and got away with it?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740458 is a reply to message #740457 ]
Mon, 15 July 2019 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 15 July 2019 11:27

I think I could live with a Pulju/Bennett swap.

When is the last time an Oiler gave someone a nice slew foot and got away with it?

I'd be OK with a fast skating, chippy, physical, might be able to play on both special teams, top 9 NHL forward in exchange for a young, looks really good on paper but is and after 3 yrs of pro hockey, a non NHLer who maybe will have to go to Europe to play on a lower end team to develop more so maybe one day he can play in the NHL but he could just as easy never turn into anything.

I am an Oilers fan so I am used to lots of hopes and maybes and if everything works our perfectly, this player might be something BUT I'd be OK with replacing some of these hopes and maybe prospects with REAL NHLers that can actually do something in the NHL of value.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 July 2019 11:35]

Re: Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740471 is a reply to message #740457 ]
Mon, 15 July 2019 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

I like Bennet as a player and hate him as a Calgary Flame. He would add something to the Oilers line up in spite of his scoring numbers not being that high. When you hate him as an Oiler fan, you know he's noticeable out there and an in you're face kinda guy. Not sure i'm ready to give up on the 6'4 highly skilled Finnish winger with the deadly one timer dream just yet though.

Re: Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740473 is a reply to message #740471 ]
Mon, 15 July 2019 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

overdue wrote on Mon, 15 July 2019 15:47

I like Bennet as a player and hate him as a Calgary Flame. He would add something to the Oilers line up in spite of his scoring numbers not being that high. When you hate him as an Oiler fan, you know he's noticeable out there and an in you're face kinda guy. Not sure i'm ready to give up on the 6'4 highly skilled Finnish winger with the deadly one timer dream just yet though.

He'd be the type of player who a team could target and give the numbers he's put up to date would be pretty affordable for a new contract. At worse you know he can be an effective 3rd liner but who given what he was supposed to be which was a top 6 player, you might strike gold and he elevate playing with a McDavid or a Leon.

I think those are the ways the Oilers could find top 6 players. Going big in free agency usually doesn't end up working. Trading for an already established one isn't always easy.

I'd be targeting Buchneivch from the Rangers. He had 21 goals, 38 pts last year. Why would the Rangers trade him? They have just over 7 mill in cap space. They have Trouba, Buch, Lemieux, Deangelo all to sign. You have to think Trouba coming off 50 pts will take up all their cap space. So they need to free up a lot of money to fit all those guys in.

Would the Rangers do Puljujarvi and something for Buch. Buch probably warrants a raise close to what Johansson and Kapenan got from Toronto as he would up similar numbers. JP isn't close to NHL ready so you already retain his rights but send him to Europe to play, getting him off your roster and delaying paying him.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 July 2019 16:06]

Re: Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740474 is a reply to message #740473 ]
Mon, 15 July 2019 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

1 Cup

Stauffer continues to troll Oilers fans in hope for change.

This could be a big week for the Oilers. Maybe......just maybe.

Stauffer in the 1st segment of today’s show. Always gotta be so cryptic.

Re: Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740478 is a reply to message #740474 ]
Mon, 15 July 2019 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 15 July 2019 16:43

Stauffer continues to troll Oilers fans in hope for change.

This could be a big week for the Oilers. Maybe......just maybe.

Stauffer in the 1st segment of today’s show. Always gotta be so cryptic.

We were just waiting for McDavid's bonus to be paid before we traded him for a defenceman!

Re: Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740480 is a reply to message #740444 ]
Mon, 15 July 2019 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Lowetide mentioned the trade as well. That would be a huge win.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Stauffer pumping up Bennett [message #740482 is a reply to message #740480 ]
Mon, 15 July 2019 20:55 Go to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 15 July 2019 19:39

Lowetide mentioned the trade as well. That would be a huge win.

Especially if he keeps the douche-stache

https://res-2.cloudinary.com/ybmedia/image/upload/c_scale,f_auto,q_auto,w_700/v1/m/e/1/e132f9bea24ba34ab4095de6ac368f0661e5da22/GettyImages-1138166358.jpg

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Previous Topic:Nugent Hopkins for Ristolainen
Next Topic:Hall for Ceci
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca