This day on August 11
Acquired: Petr Sykora (2006)
Departed: Daniel Lacroix (1999) Dean Arsene (2010)

Happy Birthday To: Phenom89, juju+sno, oilers99dan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Minors » 2019 NHL Entry Draft...Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738882 is a reply to message #738881 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 15:54

Mackenzie has Podkolzin at 8. I don't touch that guy. You have the issue with him having a 2 year contract in the KHL. When it comes up, no guarantee he comes over. Based on the reports I have heard. He has a ton of tools but needs some development and has consistency issues. Does that sound like JP? It does to me. So you are counting on the KHL to develop him for the next 2 years. They play a way different style of game over there on a larger ice surface. So if he comes over after 2 years, does he need another year or more to climatized to NA hockey? I'd count on at least 1 AHL year. So you might be 3 or 4 yrs before this guy cracks the NHL. Kuznetsov is a great example. It was 4 years after he was drafted before he was a full time NHLer. Then in his first year, he was a 2nd/3nd line player, then he was a top 6 guy. So after 5 years, he was a top 6 player and he was drafted 26th overall.

If I am the Oilers, at #8 I am taking a player who I know will be in the NHL in 2-3 years at worst and who in all likelihood is a top 6 at worse player. I am not rolling the dice on a guy who might make or might not. In hindsight, they took a swing at JP thinking they hit a homerun and passed on sure things like Tkachuk and it blew up in their face. At worse, Tkachuk was going to be a 20 goal, 2nd line forward. So take the sure fire player vs the big swing at the homerun.

Pulju was the safe pick at #4. Even #3 he was seen as a sure thing. He was ranked as a consensus top 3 pick for 2 years straight, think he even hit #1 for a period when he was 16 because he blew everyone away at the world juniors. Columbus said flat out that they drafted for need at #3 because they had no C's and in the end, they lucked out.

Let's not revise history. Basically every team in the NHL would have taken Pulju where we took him, Burke said he had him ahead of Tkachuk too. It just hasn't worked out thanks to basically everyone doing the worst possible thing during his first 3 years, plus double hip bone spurs to put a cherry on top of the mess.

Anyways, like always, there are no sure things in the draft. But there are guys with weird situations, and Podkolzin is definitely one of those. I would avoid him too.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 June 2019 16:15]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738883 is a reply to message #738882 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 16:12

Mackenzie has Podkolzin at 8. I don't touch that guy. You have the issue with him having a 2 year contract in the KHL. When it comes up, no guarantee he comes over. Based on the reports I have heard. He has a ton of tools but needs some development and has consistency issues. Does that sound like JP? It does to me. So you are counting on the KHL to develop him for the next 2 years. They play a way different style of game over there on a larger ice surface. So if he comes over after 2 years, does he need another year or more to climatized to NA hockey? I'd count on at least 1 AHL year. So you might be 3 or 4 yrs before this guy cracks the NHL. Kuznetsov is a great example. It was 4 years after he was drafted before he was a full time NHLer. Then in his first year, he was a 2nd/3nd line player, then he was a top 6 guy. So after 5 years, he was a top 6 player and he was drafted 26th overall.

If I am the Oilers, at #8 I am taking a player who I know will be in the NHL in 2-3 years at worst and who in all likelihood is a top 6 at worse player. I am not rolling the dice on a guy who might make or might not. In hindsight, they took a swing at JP thinking they hit a homerun and passed on sure things like Tkachuk and it blew up in their face. At worse, Tkachuk was going to be a 20 goal, 2nd line forward. So take the sure fire player vs the big swing at the homerun.

Pulju was the safe pick at #4. Even #3 he was seen as a sure thing. He was ranked as a concensus top 3 pick for 2 years straight. Columbus said flat out that they drafted for need at #3 because they had no C's and in the end, they lucked out.

Let's not revise history. Basically every team in the NHL would have taken Pulju where we took him, Burke said he had him ahead of Tkachuk too. It just hasn't worked out thanks to basically everyone doing the worst possible thing during his first 3 years, plus double hip bone spurs to put a cherry on top of the mess.

Anyways, like always, there are no sure things in the draft. But there are guys with weird situations, and Podkolzin is definitely one of those. I would avoid him too.

I am not knocking the Oilers for taking JP. Like you said, most teams had him ranked at #3. So it's pretty clear to me that the Oilers plus a lot of other teams misread JP. Even if the Oilers had of went against the norm and put him in the AHL for 3 years, I really have my doubts he would be a high end top 6 forward like a 4th overall pick should be.

But with Podkolzin, there are already red flags with him. The 2 yr deal in the KHL is a red flag. Him not performing well recently are red flags. He could very well end up being a good player but my point is the Oilers can't afford to miss on this pick. At #8 there are going to be forwards available who should easily be top 6 players who don't have red flags. Take the more sure bet.

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738884 is a reply to message #738883 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 16:19

Pulju was the safe pick at #4. Even #3 he was seen as a sure thing. He was ranked as a concensus top 3 pick for 2 years straight. Columbus said flat out that they drafted for need at #3 because they had no C's and in the end, they lucked out.

I am not knocking the Oilers for taking JP. Like you said, most teams had him ranked at #3. So it's pretty clear to me that the Oilers plus a lot of other teams misread JP. Even if the Oilers had of went against the norm and put him in the AHL for 3 years, I really have my doubts he would be a high end top 6 forward like a 4th overall pick should be.

But with Podkolzin, there are already red flags with him. The 2 yr deal in the KHL is a red flag. Him not performing well recently are red flags. He could very well end up being a good player but my point is the Oilers can't afford to miss on this pick. At #8 there are going to be forwards available who should easily be top 6 players who don't have red flags. Take the more sure bet.

Yeah, I think to take that risk with a guy already saying he's not coming here for 2 years, he better have some crazy good stats to go in the top 10. His U-18 and U-20 tournament showings were pretty meh. That's a super risky pick at 8. Can't see Holland wanting to start off his time as our GM with a pick like that.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738886 is a reply to message #738884 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 16:24

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 16:19

Yeah, I think to take that risk with a guy already saying he's not coming here for 2 years, he better have some crazy good stats to go in the top 10. His U-18 and U-20 tournament showings were pretty meh. That's a super risky pick at 8. Can't see Holland wanting to start off his time as our GM with a pick like that.

Plus you are trusting his development for the next 2 years to the KHL. The Oilers I doubt would have next to no say on what he does if he is in Russia. The KHL and NHL aren't exactly buddies. He's playing a different game on a different ice surface. When you are drafting a player at #8, in 2 years it's not unrealistic to expect that player is on your NHL team. In 2 years, Podkolzin might not even be in North American yet

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738885 is a reply to message #738882 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

Pulju was the safe pick at #4. Even #3 he was seen as a sure thing. He was ranked as a consensus top 3 pick for 2 years straight, think he even hit #1 for a period when he was 16 because he blew everyone away at the world juniors. Columbus said flat out that they drafted for need at #3 because they had no C's and in the end, they lucked out.

Totally agree. It's revisionist to suggest that Puljujarvi was anything but the proper choice there.

With Podkolzin, I don't really worry too much about two years over seas. There's been plenty of players who've come over without much problems.

Kucherov was in the KHL when he was drafted. Panarin was overseas until he was older - hasn't seemed to be an issue. Ovechkin was drafted out of the KHL. Malkin - drafted out of the KHL, and even spent an extra two years over there. I see Kuznetsov as a good argument to take a player if you think he's that talented.

If you really want to bring a player over early, it's probably as simple as money to make it happen, and payments to a Russian team don't count against the cap.

Honestly, I don't even mind the Oilers not having the ability to play someone 9 games as an 18 year old, because they seem incapable of not inserting players in for that trial period. Removing the temptation by making the player unavailable wouldn't be the worst thing...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738887 is a reply to message #738885 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 16:29

Totally agree. It's revisionist to suggest that Puljujarvi was anything but the proper choice there.

With Podkolzin, I don't really worry too much about two years over seas. There's been plenty of players who've come over without much problems.

Kucherov was in the KHL when he was drafted. Panarin was overseas until he was older - hasn't seemed to be an issue. Ovechkin was drafted out of the KHL. Malkin - drafted out of the KHL, and even spent an extra two years over there. I see Kuznetsov as a good argument to take a player if you think he's that talented.

If you really want to bring a player over early, it's probably as simple as money to make it happen, and payments to a Russian team don't count against the cap.

Honestly, I don't even mind the Oilers not having the ability to play someone 9 games as an 18 year old, because they seem incapable of not inserting players in for that trial period. Removing the temptation by making the player unavailable wouldn't be the worst thing...

I don't think your comparison players are a fair comparison. Kucherov was taken 58th overall. I would guess most teams aren't expecting a very late 2nd rounder to be in the NHL for at least a couple of years minimum. Kuznetsov was a late first rounder. Expectations for a top 10 pick are a little different.

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738890 is a reply to message #738887 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 16:33

I don't think your comparison players are a fair comparison. Kucherov was taken 58th overall. I would guess most teams aren't expecting a very late 2nd rounder to be in the NHL for at least a couple of years minimum. Kuznetsov was a late first rounder. Expectations for a top 10 pick are a little different.

I don't know how many times it has to be said - there is no set time for when a player arrives, regardless of draft position. Erik Johnson was a first overall pick and didn't play in the NHL for two years and that wasn't a surprise really to anyone. Malkin took two years to come to the NHL, even though he was probably ready to jump over to North America before that.

The several examples of really good top five picks who were slow to peak after their drafts should have demonstrated for you already that there isn't a time limit on these players. You don't need an immediate impact for a player to be a great draft pick.

And second round picks sometimes make the NHL as teenagers too. It's less common, but there are guys like Patrice Bergeron who are ready early.

So if the Oilers make their draft list on who's the best player and it gets to #8 and Podkolzin is the clear best choice left available in their eyes - then they should take him. If you have him and say, Caufield both still on the board, and they're very very close in their assessment of the two guys, then maybe the access to the player becomes a factor any you take Caufield with that as the tie-breaker. You don't pick a player you don't think is as good or likely to be as good simply because you're worried about him playing in the KHL and not getting to profile him in front of the home town fans for 9 games this fall...

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738889 is a reply to message #738885 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'm not really seeing the high end skill with Podkolzin. He was ranked high earlier in the year, I think a lot of his love is coming from his compete level and how willing he is to grind things out and hype about how he plays a 2-way game.

If he was being scouted as an elite talent like a Malkin, for sure, you try to get that guy in your org, but this is kind of a weird one where I don't think you can actually be confident this guy has the top tier skill level, plus you might not even be able to get a look at him on NA ice for 2 years. If he falls to where Kucherov was taken in his draft though, sure, would take him there :)

[Updated on: Mon, 17 June 2019 16:42]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738891 is a reply to message #738889 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 16:39

I'm not really seeing the high end skill with Podkolzin. He was ranked high earlier in the year, I think a lot of his love is coming from his compete level and how willing he is to grind things out and hype about how he plays a 2-way game.

If he was being scouted as an elite talent like a Malkin, for sure, you try to get that guy in your org, but this is kind of a weird one where I don't think you can actually be confident this guy has the top tier skill level, plus you might not even be able to get a look at him on NA ice for 2 years. If he falls to where Kucherov was taken in his draft though, sure, would take him there :)

I'm arguing this one somewhat philosophically. I don't know much about the player and can't recall seeing him play (although I probably did at the World Juniors). I haven't seen any of the other guys in that range either - at least not at any point where I was watching for them - so I'm relying on our scouts to have done their job, and hoping that him playing in the KHL isn't an issue unless it's as a tie-break.

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738892 is a reply to message #738891 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 16:44

I'm arguing this one somewhat philosophically. I don't know much about the player and can't recall seeing him play (although I probably did at the World Juniors). I haven't seen any of the other guys in that range either - at least not at any point where I was watching for them - so I'm relying on our scouts to have done their job, and hoping that him playing in the KHL isn't an issue unless it's as a tie-break.

Yeah, I guess we are talking on 2 different tracks. I don't even think this kid warrants #8 from highlights I've seen and the org would be taking a leap of faith on how his development would go to take him in that spot. And they will have minimal control if any on how his development is directed the next couple years. Just seems like a bad idea. Kid kinda reminds me of smaller and less skilled Nichushkin.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738895 is a reply to message #738892 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 17:00

Yeah, I guess we are talking on 2 different tracks. I don't even think this kid warrants #8 from highlights I've seen and the org would be taking a leap of faith on how his development would go to take him in that spot. And they will have minimal control if any on how his development is directed the next couple years. Just seems like a bad idea. Kid kinda reminds me of smaller and less skilled Nichushkin.

If that's the case, is that indicative of a weaker draft? Is this one of those years where there's just not much top-six talent available?

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738902 is a reply to message #738895 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 17:58

If that's the case, is that indicative of a weaker draft? Is this one of those years where there's just not much top-six talent available?

Think there is lots of skill still in the top end of the draft. Really just picking on Podkolzin because Bob Mac put him #8 for us, and his compliments are always about his compete level, how he grinds and 2-way play :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738914 is a reply to message #738902 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 19:16

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 17:58

Think there is lots of skill still in the top end of the draft. Really just picking on Podkolzin because Bob Mac put him #8 for us, and his compliments are always about his compete level, how he grinds and 2-way play :)

It's an interesting question, because I've heard the same comment about Caufield though...fantastic scorer at his current level, but concerns as to whether he'll be as effective a scorer in the NHL. That's two people in the top ten who have shown some talent and production at lower levels, but who there is some questions about their ability to make the jump...

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738888 is a reply to message #738882 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan is currently online GabbyDugan

1 Cup

At this time last year, McKenzie had Evan Bouchard at #7 and Quinn Hughes at #8. The Oilers were fortunate that Bouchard was still available to them at #10 (well, it would seem so. 18-19 year olds are kind of unpredictable, but Bouchard sure does appear to be on the right track).

I would agree that the Oilers would be risking time and potential by drafting the Russian, and would hope Kirby Dach or Dylan Cozens falls into their lap. Maybe Trevor Zegras the American ? ( I know very little about this player, but he does have some upside).

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738893 is a reply to message #717659 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

2 Cups

Should we start a #wetheeighth hashtag campaign?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738915 is a reply to message #717659 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

What are the chances that one of Dach, Cozens or Caufield are available at #8, my fear is that they will all be gone by then.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738918 is a reply to message #738915 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

I am not keen on Caufield either. I know smaller players can play but there is small and then Caufield small. I heard he was celebrating the fact he was measured at exactly 5'7. Gaudreau is small and he's 2 inches taller than Caufield.

I know he put up big goal totals but I share the comment about if that translates to higher levels. He's putting up all these goals playing on a travelling all star team. They are going around beating on inferior teams. He's on a team where 4 more forwards from his team are going in the top 15 of the draft. His team goalie might go in the top 15 of the draft. He has a dman from his team that will go in the top 20. Mackenzie ranked another dman from that team in the top 31. To have that many players on 1 team potentially going in the first round of the same year doesn't happen. If he was on one of the best major junior teams in the CHL maybe there is another player on his team what would go as high as 4 or 5 of his teammates will go. I get that people don't want to miss out on the next Debrincat but Debrincat was putting up big goal totals and he wasn't on an all star team. I think he played with McDavid in McDavid's draft year and scored 51 goals. The next season when McDavid was gone, he scored 65. So I'd be curious to know what Caufield's goal totals would be if he wasn't on a all star team. So if I was any team, I'd be very wary of that.

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738924 is a reply to message #738918 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan is currently online GabbyDugan

1 Cup

The talking heads over at the Oilers' website share their mock draft choices with the world. Gene Principe, for example, has Alex Turcotte landing in the Oilers' organization as selection #8. The guy's father alfie was an NHL'er, so at least the kid has the pedigree for a future NHL'er.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/oilersdraft/2019-principe

Again, he's kind of small-ish, one of many players from the USHL U-18 team believed to be among those selected in the first round, and not necessarily a driver on his team.

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738925 is a reply to message #738918 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey is currently online Jakey

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 08:32

I am not keen on Caufield either. I know smaller players can play but there is small and then Caufield small. I heard he was celebrating the fact he was measured at exactly 5'7. Gaudreau is small and he's 2 inches taller than Caufield.

I know he put up big goal totals but I share the comment about if that translates to higher levels. He's putting up all these goals playing on a travelling all star team. They are going around beating on inferior teams. He's on a team where 4 more forwards from his team are going in the top 15 of the draft. His team goalie might go in the top 15 of the draft. He has a dman from his team that will go in the top 20. Mackenzie ranked another dman from that team in the top 31. To have that many players on 1 team potentially going in the first round of the same year doesn't happen. If he was on one of the best major junior teams in the CHL maybe there is another player on his team what would go as high as 4 or 5 of his teammates will go. I get that people don't want to miss out on the next Debrincat but Debrincat was putting up big goal totals and he wasn't on an all star team. I think he played with McDavid in McDavid's draft year and scored 51 goals. The next season when McDavid was gone, he scored 65. So I'd be curious to know what Caufield's goal totals would be if he wasn't on a all star team. So if I was any team, I'd be very wary of that.

At some point the NHL players will beat you down at the size of Caufield IMO. He may be a good player in the NHL, but the risk/reward is big on him. I would either take a better known commodity or trade down 3-5 spots and let someone lese take him at 8 & get a 2nd rounder & dump a contract at the same time. There should be a couple of decent names still available around 12-13 draft spots.

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738927 is a reply to message #738925 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Jakey wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 09:09

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 08:32

At some point the NHL players will beat you down at the size of Caufield IMO. He may be a good player in the NHL, but the risk/reward is big on him. I would either take a better known commodity or trade down 3-5 spots and let someone lese take him at 8 & get a 2nd rounder & dump a contract at the same time. There should be a couple of decent names still available around 12-13 draft spots.

If I am the Oilers, unless the return is significant, I am not trading down. I am sure they have a few guys who they would like to get at #8. When the time comes, go with the guy you are confident will be an effective, productive player and stay away from taking a swing on a risk/reward guy. Save the big swings with lower picks.

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738946 is a reply to message #717659 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Wow, Peyton Krebs who I’ve seen going top 10 in a lot of the lists was a minus 50 last season with the Kootenay Ice. I know, dumb stat, also the team could have been total garbage but he was barely a PPG player as well. Anyone seen this guy play live or have an idea of why he’s hyped?

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738951 is a reply to message #738946 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 12:54

Wow, Peyton Krebs who I’ve seen going top 10 in a lot of the lists was a minus 50 last season with the Kootenay Ice. I know, dumb stat, also the team could have been total garbage but he was barely a PPG player as well. Anyone seen this guy play live or have an idea of why he’s hyped?

Team went 13-45-10 last year and Krebs was over a point per game - only one even close to a point per game actually. That's a really bad team and he was likely playing all the time. He's only 17 for half the season, going up against the best players on every team.

A lot of similarities to the discussions around this guy ahead of his draft:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/001 0282003.html

That's a controversial player here of course, given the way he was acquired and who we didn't pick around him, but it is tough if you're that young and trying to lead a terrible team.

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738954 is a reply to message #738951 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 13:45

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 12:54

Team went 13-45-10 last year and Krebs was over a point per game - only one even close to a point per game actually. That's a really bad team and he was likely playing all the time. He's only 17 for half the season, going up against the best players on every team.

A lot of similarities to the discussions around this guy ahead of his draft:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/001 0282003.html

That's a controversial player here of course, given the way he was acquired and who we didn't pick around him, but it is tough if you're that young and trying to lead a terrible team.

Guess you can look at Dobson this season. -30 in 28 games on a trash team. Gets traded to a good team, +40 in 28 games and ends up with a Memorial Cup.

Some Jr teams can be pretty freakin bad.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #738991 is a reply to message #717659 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Stauffer and Michaels can't stop talking about the Oilers taking Broberg at #8.

Great skating 6'3 2-way D, but most lists have him quite a bit lower.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #739003 is a reply to message #738991 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 22:33

Although I think you can never have too many D-men, let's be honest, our forward prospect pool is pretty bare. Even for future bottom 6 guys, which has really what's gotten us to where we are.

I think with that much talent up front available, and yes tons of forwards in the 2nd and 3rd rounds being projected, I think you use this draft to stock those cupboards.

If the Oilers can come away with Dach/Cozens/Krebs in the 1st, and Leason/Foote in the 2nd, then we're on the right track. There's also some good D men that may be available with our 2nd rounder if we want to go that route, but certainly not a top pairing guy.

If Broberg projects to be a top pairing D-men, then you take him. If there's doubt on that, then you need to grab a guy who's going to be a top 6 forward.

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #739004 is a reply to message #738991 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 23:33

You need to remember, our management group is smarter than anybody else. Just because somebody is a "consensus" top pick doesn't mean our hunch about a different guy isn't right.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #739090 is a reply to message #739004 ]
Thu, 20 June 2019 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 19 June 2019 09:35

You need to remember, our management group is smarter than anybody else. Just because somebody is a "consensus" top pick doesn't mean our hunch about a different guy isn't right.

The social media outrage about the Oilers potentially going off the board with Broberg has now triggered Stauffer to say that probably isn't the pick, plus the same from gregor and others I believe.

Whew. Now we are safe to blow minds picking someone ranked 20-30 with #8 instead of someone ranked 10-20 like Broberg :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #739092 is a reply to message #739090 ]
Thu, 20 June 2019 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 June 2019 10:00

The social media outrage about the Oilers potentially going off the board with Broberg has now triggered Stauffer to say that probably isn't the pick, plus the same from gregor and others I believe.

Whew. Now we are safe to blow minds picking someone ranked 20-30 with #8 instead of someone ranked 10-20 like Broberg :)

I, for one, am super comforted by the fact that the Oilers draft board is heavily influenced by fan perception on social media and that they continue to use Stauffer and the rest of the Edmonton media to float ideas out and get a sense of public perception before acting on them. This is totally the behaviour of a competent, well run organization and I'm glad to see that nothing has changed and that the Oilers will continue on the same trajectory they've been on.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 pace: 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) after 64 games

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #739100 is a reply to message #739092 ]
Thu, 20 June 2019 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 20 June 2019 11:07

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 June 2019 10:00

I, for one, am super comforted by the fact that the Oilers draft board is heavily influenced by fan perception on social media and that they continue to use Stauffer and the rest of the Edmonton media to float ideas out and get a sense of public perception before acting on them. This is totally the behaviour of a competent, well run organization and I'm glad to see that nothing has changed and that the Oilers will continue on the same trajectory they've been on.

Naturally there is a clause under the autonomy section of Holland’s deal which states
That he must consider social media reaction prior to making any moves. I mean there’s autonomy and then there is autonomy.

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #739173 is a reply to message #739090 ]
Fri, 21 June 2019 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 June 2019 11:00

Broberg is the guy that both TSN (Button) and Sportsnet (Cosentino) have the Oilers taking in their mock drafts.

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #739223 is a reply to message #739173 ]
Fri, 21 June 2019 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 21 June 2019 14:11

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 June 2019 11:00

Broberg is the guy that both TSN (Button) and Sportsnet (Cosentino) have the Oilers taking in their mock drafts.

How did the Oilers manage to make this so obvious? MacT's last FU to the Oilers? :)

Howson? ...Lowe?? Gretzky bros? hehe

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #739012 is a reply to message #717659 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

omg, there is a guy named Connor McMichael in this draft. Projected mid-late 1st round.

Definitely need to trade some picks to move up to get him.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #739041 is a reply to message #739012 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 19 June 2019 11:34

omg, there is a guy named Connor McMichael in this draft. Projected mid-late 1st round.

Definitely need to trade some picks to move up to get him.

Conner McDonald from the Edmonton Oil Kings is also draft eligible (although at 20 y.o. with middling stats, he's unlikely to get picked up).

My daughters (3 and 5 at the time) laughed every time his name was announced at the couple of Oil Kings games we were at at this year.

We could get a whole crew of Connor Mcs! It would be like Saddam Hussein and his body doubles!

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #739118 is a reply to message #739041 ]
Thu, 20 June 2019 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

If the Oilers draft one of them, we have no choice but to call the pair the McDouble.

Clean house or bust

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #739162 is a reply to message #717659 ]
Fri, 21 June 2019 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

https://www.silversevensens.com/platform/amp/2019/6/21/18700 469/draft-day-expected-pick-range-ottawa-senators-nhl-entry- draft-2019?utm_campaign=cudmorecolin&utm_content=chorus& amp;utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_i mpression=true

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #739186 is a reply to message #717659 ]
Fri, 21 June 2019 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

OILER #8 PICK[ 11 vote(s) ]
1.Broberg 1 / 9%
2.Cozens 7 / 64%
3.Caufield 1 / 9%
4.Zegras 1 / 9%
5.Boldy 0 / 0%
6.Krebs 0 / 0%
7.... with the # 8 pick . the Edmonton Oilers select.. from the Latvian Elite League... 1 / 9%
8.<Oilers make pick> Bob McKenzie starts flipping through pages reminiscent of Jesse Ninimaki .. 0 / 0%
9.Trade #8 for Ryan Strome 0 / 0%
10.Start a biker gang.. pick Thomas Harley, then trade up for Ryan Suzuki .. "Harley passes to Suzuki .. he SCORES!!) 0 / 0%

Here's a poll, assuming everyone else is gone by #8 except for these guys... who do you want?

[Updated on: Fri, 21 June 2019 16:39]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner, Petrovic = Nathan Legare

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #739222 is a reply to message #717659 ]
Fri, 21 June 2019 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Flames take a tiny winger. Thats what I like to see.

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #739224 is a reply to message #717659 ]
Fri, 21 June 2019 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

So when Caulfield ends up as a 30 goal scorer and Broberg ends up as a bottom pairing defenceman, I'll take comfort in the fact that the Oilers weren't swayed from their course by fan social media reaction.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 pace: 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) after 64 games

Re: 2019 NHL Entry Draft... [message #739225 is a reply to message #717659 ]
Fri, 21 June 2019 21:15 Go to previous message

6 Cups

These Canucks fans are ridiculous. Can't shut your hole so a kid can hear himself getting picked in the 1st round of the NHL draft.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:2019 Oiler Draft
Next Topic:Patrick Russell Re-Upped
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca