This day on April 26
None

Happy Birthday To: Hemmer2Eberle, Burgeoboy, Weloveoil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600742 is a reply to message #600593 ]
Fri, 14 June 2013 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Staples with a great boiled down story on Eakins, originally written by Cox (ugh!). But gives some history on the new head coach.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/06/14/the-must-read-st ory-if-you-want-to-know-about-dallas-eakins-as-reported-by-t he-toronto-star/

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600768 is a reply to message #600742 ]
Sat, 15 June 2013 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Daryl Katz, a lier, or someone who doesn't finish his sentences?

MacT isn't going anywhere... but straight to the top!

Anyway.

Hiring a coach is probably the second easiest thing to do as a GM, the first easiest thing being letting go of staff. Everyone lauded Tambo for firing people, and hiring management types, which are a dime a dozen, and almost immeasurable in terms of success.

It would be a lot more impressive if as his first move, MacT had done something on the player front. Player acquisition will be the one and only thing that will define MacT's success or failure.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600784 is a reply to message #600768 ]
Sun, 16 June 2013 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PunkInDrublic  is currently offline PunkInDrublic

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Sat, 15 June 2013 17:42

Daryl Katz, a lier, or someone who doesn't finish his sentences?

MacT isn't going anywhere... but straight to the top!

Anyway.

Hiring a coach is probably the second easiest thing to do as a GM, the first easiest thing being letting go of staff. Everyone lauded Tambo for firing people, and hiring management types, which are a dime a dozen, and almost immeasurable in terms of success.

It would be a lot more impressive if as his first move, MacT had done something on the player front. Player acquisition will be the one and only thing that will define MacT's success or failure.

Belov?

Once the finals are over, I think the floodgates open. MacT will probably make a few moves before the draft IMO.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 June 2013 09:00]

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600812 is a reply to message #600742 ]
Mon, 17 June 2013 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronster  is currently offline ronster

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 14 June 2013 18:36

Staples with a great boiled down story on Eakins, originally written by Cox (ugh!). But gives some history on the new head coach.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/06/14/the-must-read-st ory-if-you-want-to-know-about-dallas-eakins-as-reported-by-t he-toronto-star/

Both parts are interesting backstory on his upbringing and player / coaching, but again some tidbits caught my eye....

1. Reading about how he watched "like 200 games" and has this mantra about fitness and eating (like the whole Kadri mess) still makes me think he has a single minded focus to details; if it doesnt fit it his mind, it doesnt work.

Kadri was going to Gary Roberts for training; was he implying Kadri wasnt fit enough and Roberts wasn't working him hard? And just because you watched 200 games doesn't mean you've seen everything and your opinion is right?

2. While this kind of coaching style may work on AHL players trying to make the big show, I think it's gonna wear thin on multimillion dollar NHL players who have fitness trainers, mental coaches and mostly " made it".

The whole work ethic and giving 100% thru four lines will pay dividends in the room and possibly on the ice, i cant see how this coaching change is a game-changer.

Maybe if he brings on a better supporting staff and MacT upgrades the supporting cast significantly, things will turn around. Somehow i'm not sold....

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600817 is a reply to message #600812 ]
Mon, 17 June 2013 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

No Cups

ronster wrote on Mon, 17 June 2013 14:35

nullterm wrote on Fri, 14 June 2013 18:36

Both parts are interesting backstory on his upbringing and player / coaching, but again some tidbits caught my eye....

1. Reading about how he watched "like 200 games" and has this mantra about fitness and eating (like the whole Kadri mess) still makes me think he has a single minded focus to details; if it doesnt fit it his mind, it doesnt work.

Kadri was going to Gary Roberts for training; was he implying Kadri wasnt fit enough and Roberts wasn't working him hard? And just because you watched 200 games doesn't mean you've seen everything and your opinion is right?

2. While this kind of coaching style may work on AHL players trying to make the big show, I think it's gonna wear thin on multimillion dollar NHL players who have fitness trainers, mental coaches and mostly " made it".

The whole work ethic and giving 100% thru four lines will pay dividends in the room and possibly on the ice, i cant see how this coaching change is a game-changer.

Maybe if he brings on a better supporting staff and MacT upgrades the supporting cast significantly, things will turn around. Somehow i'm not sold....

Your points about Kadri remind me of the saying, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink..." Just because Kadri was training with Roberts doesn't mean he was taking it seriously or doing it properly until lately.

Also, how can you use Kadri as an argument that Eakins will be unsuccessful when you look at his spectacular playoff performance? Kadri had major flaws in conditioning and maturity before working with Eakins. Kadri even said, "He’s the glue that keeps the puzzle together, He’s the quarterback, so to speak, that gives us all the faith and confidence that we need to be successful."

Penner "made it" as an NHLer. I'm sure he had a fitness coach. Could a coach like Eakins who empasizes increased fitness and training have improved Penner's game?

You seem determined to prove that Eakins will fail before he's even coached one game.

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600819 is a reply to message #600817 ]
Mon, 17 June 2013 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

"No amount of coffee can make up for a lack of motivation in the morning".

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600820 is a reply to message #600817 ]
Mon, 17 June 2013 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronster  is currently offline ronster

No Cups

v4ance wrote on Mon, 17 June 2013 14:16

Your points about Kadri remind me of the saying, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink..." Just because Kadri was training with Roberts doesn't mean he was taking it seriously or doing it properly until lately.

Also, how can you use Kadri as an argument that Eakins will be unsuccessful when you look at his spectacular playoff performance? Kadri had major flaws in conditioning and maturity before working with Eakins. Kadri even said, "He’s the glue that keeps the puzzle together, He’s the quarterback, so to speak, that gives us all the faith and confidence that we need to be successful."

Penner "made it" as an NHLer. I'm sure he had a fitness coach. Could a coach like Eakins who empasizes increased fitness and training have improved Penner's game?

You seem determined to prove that Eakins will fail before he's even coached one game.

Sorry if i'm not sold on Eakins yet. True we haven't had one real game or even a training camp to see what effect he will have. Other factors like assistant / associate coaches and new personnel are still undecided.

I just have a hard time understanding how this is a game changer for our team.

I doubt Penner would of changed under Eakins, but it's hypothetical. He sure didn't under MacT. Penner did lead our team in goals for a couple years, without being "fit".

And Kadri's playoff performance? He had 4 points with one goal (in game 7)? I would think his regular season is more an indication of his growth rather than the playoffs.

Fitness and competitiveness are character traits ANY good team have...while he might impress his mantra on fitness, we've had many coaches come thru the turnstile preaching "battling" or "going to the blue paint" or "engagement" or "passion" or aggressiveness" or "hard-work"...nothing has changed.

Hopefully with the additions of new players, a new SET of coaching voices in the room and a new approach on our defensive coverage and offensive attack, things will change.

Sorry just not buying the hype right now.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600837 is a reply to message #600820 ]
Tue, 18 June 2013 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

I read a story a few months back during the regular season about Kadri's success and how part of it had been attributed to Dallas Eakins bringing in Kadri's father. Every time Kadri would cheat on a drill or slack off in practice, or whatever else Eakins deemed lazy, he'd call Kadri's father and rat him out. I guess in their culture, Kadri's respect (maybe fear) for his father outweighed anything that Eakins could say or do to him. Apparently Kadri was embarassed by this and actually started to work harder. This is a weird tactic for sure, but creative and affective.

Give Eakins a chance to work this kind of angles with his guys, obviously not specifically calling the guys' parents, but it shows he thinks outside the box. I like him as coach, I like that he's younger and can grow with the guys a bit too.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #600841 is a reply to message #600837 ]
Tue, 18 June 2013 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

His understanding of individuals is interesting. I don't know that it'll be effective but it's probably a good policy for employers of some varieties.

One of the things I took in my side classes at Uni was sports phycology, the prof focused largely on motivational factors, interesting area. Dallas may be on to something, at the same time, he may be wadding into pandering.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #601057 is a reply to message #600841 ]
Fri, 21 June 2013 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilerPunch  is currently offline OilerPunch

No Cups

I don't know about you but I like him already:

https://twitter.com/dallaseakins

Check out the tweet to Taylor Hall

[Updated on: Fri, 21 June 2013 11:14]

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #605332 is a reply to message #600429 ]
Fri, 09 August 2013 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer

Hitchcock says Dallas Eakins is the best move the Oilers made this off-season. Says he'll make the players uncomfortable and that will work. Hitch's exact words were that Eakins is what scares him about the Oilers now. Says the game eats some young coaches alive, but not this one.

Pretty glowing compliment from Hitch!

Hope Eakins lives up to the hype.

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #605334 is a reply to message #605332 ]
Fri, 09 August 2013 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

v4ance wrote on Fri, 09 August 2013 13:15

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer

Hitchcock says Dallas Eakins is the best move the Oilers made this off-season. Says he'll make the players uncomfortable and that will work. Hitch's exact words were that Eakins is what scares him about the Oilers now. Says the game eats some young coaches alive, but not this one.

Wow, that's really high praise from Hitchcock.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #605345 is a reply to message #605334 ]
Fri, 09 August 2013 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 09 August 2013 14:44

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer

Before we get too excited, I remember Hitchcock saying similar things about MacTavish in the early 2000's when Dallas was regularly beating us.

I have a feeling that Hitchcock likes to butter other people's bread a bit.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #605348 is a reply to message #605345 ]
Fri, 09 August 2013 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

benv wrote on Fri, 09 August 2013 16:04

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer

Before we get too excited, I remember Hitchcock saying similar things about MacTavish in the early 2000's when Dallas was regularly beating us.

Yeah, there has been a little too much praise from opponents over the last couple of years. Too many players talking about how good and talented we are after they beat us.

Eakins is going to have to impress me himself, I'm afraid.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #605360 is a reply to message #605348 ]
Fri, 09 August 2013 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 09 August 2013 15:15

benv wrote on Fri, 09 August 2013 16:04

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer

Yeah, there has been a little too much praise from opponents over the last couple of years. Too many players talking about how good and talented we are after they beat us.

Eakins is going to have to impress me himself, I'm afraid.

I'm gonna enjoy the praise now, because when hockey season comes, we might not be enjoying it then. So there.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #606356 is a reply to message #600429 ]
Sat, 14 September 2013 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

http://oilersnation.com/2013/9/14/showboats

Reporter: “Back to Omark, in his first stint here he gained a reputation for being a bit of a showboat… do you have any concerns or problems about that element in his game?”
Eakins: “No. I don’t. I’m not sure what he did that would be a showboating thing…”
Reporter: (Only partially audible, referenced the Tampa Bay incident)
Eakins: “Did he score on it?”
Reporter: “Yeah.”
Eakins: “Well, he backed it up then. If he didn’t score there’d probably be a far bigger problem.”

Eakins was asked how he felt about a young player showing up a veteran defenceman on a play during camp. He replied, “How about the defenceman stop the play? Then you won’t be shown up.”

Fans and media talk all the time about the concept of entitlement, the idea that a player feels he deserves some special treatment by virtue of something other than merit. It’s generally seen to be a bad thing, yet somehow questions like the one above continue to be asked. If a defenceman doesn’t want to be embarrassed on the ice, that’s up to him, not the forwards competing for ice-time.

Eakins is saying all the right things to me. The mentality is make plays, produce and do what it takes to be a winner.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #606357 is a reply to message #606356 ]
Sat, 14 September 2013 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

v4ance wrote on Sat, 14 September 2013 14:44

Reporter: “Back to Omark, in his first stint here he gained a reputation for being a bit of a showboat… do you have any concerns or problems about that element in his game?”
Eakins: “No. I don’t. I’m not sure what he did that would be a showboating thing…”
Eakins: “Well, he backed it up then. If he didn’t score there’d probably be a far bigger problem.”

Eakins was asked how he felt about a young player showing up a veteran defenceman on a play during camp. He replied, “How about the defenceman stop the play? Then you won’t be shown up.”

Fans and media talk all the time about the concept of entitlement, the idea that a player feels he deserves some special treatment by virtue of something other than merit. It’s generally seen to be a bad thing, yet somehow questions like the one above continue to be asked. If a defenceman doesn’t want to be embarrassed on the ice, that’s up to him, not the forwards competing for ice-time.

Eakins is saying all the right things to me. The mentality is make plays, produce and do what it takes to be a winner.

Reminds me of what the 1980s Miami Hurricanes would say:

“If you don’t want us to dance, don’t let us get in the end zone”.

I'm fine with that. Bothers me to see it happen to the Oilers, but it bothers me more that they can't stop it from happening.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #606359 is a reply to message #606357 ]
Sat, 14 September 2013 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Best 30 for 30 episode right there.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #606395 is a reply to message #606356 ]
Sat, 14 September 2013 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

v4ance wrote on Sat, 14 September 2013 17:44

Fracking love it. I don't think Eakins will be liked very much by the reporters in Edmonton because I have a feeling he will call them on their crap. Loved his answers to the Omark questions.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #606399 is a reply to message #606395 ]
Sat, 14 September 2013 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Mike wrote on Sat, 14 September 2013 20:11

Fracking love it. I don't think Eakins will be liked very much by the reporters in Edmonton because I have a feeling he will call them on their crap. Loved his answers to the Omark questions.

Oh he's already after the media full baatleship broadsides away. He mandated the usual press snack table of donuts and treats be replaced with fruit and veggies from day 1 of training camp. Media hacks... er... reporters were NOT happy and have been complaining over twitter for days after.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #606433 is a reply to message #606399 ]
Sun, 15 September 2013 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Sat, 14 September 2013 23:16

Oh he's already after the media full baatleship broadsides away. He mandated the usual press snack table of donuts and treats be replaced with fruit and veggies from day 1 of training camp. Media hacks... er... reporters were NOT happy and have been complaining over twitter for days after.

He also apparently hates it when the hacks start their "questions" with "talk about…".

Makes them actually ask a question.

Plus, this, from Tencer yesterday:

Media gets first look at some cosmetic changes to the Oilers dressing room this morning...Eakins wanted a slightly different feel, I'm told. Oilers room features prominent pictures of all current players. New carpet with logo removed. Wall with names of all past players removed.

Trying to clear out some of the reliance on the past, by the sounds of it.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #606460 is a reply to message #606433 ]
Mon, 16 September 2013 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zoofarmcheater  is currently offline zoofarmcheater

No Cups

hmc wrote on Sun, 15 September 2013 11:43

Media gets first look at some cosmetic changes to the Oilers dressing room this morning...Eakins wanted a slightly different feel, I'm told. Oilers room features prominent pictures of all current players. New carpet with logo removed. Wall with names of all past players removed.

Check the full interview out for yourselves. It's awesome in so many ways. I love everything that this coach is doing - we've needed a true "I'm-not-playing-your-games", "we're-here-to-win. PERIOD." attitude behind the bench for so long.

My favourite part of the interview is where one of the media clowns asks about the new Oilers logo that will be put in the locker room (Eakins didn't like a copper & blue logo because it feels like it's from a team of the past; rightfully so), and the reporter jokes about how some extreme coaches won't even let people step on the logo, and will Eakins actually go that far? Eakins doesn't laugh along with him, and just looks at the reporter with a stone cold serious face and says:

“I dare you to do that.”

god

"You've got to smile every day because life you just live once. You've got to push everything you can every day and be nice with the people and keep your family in your heart." - Nail Yakupov

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #606462 is a reply to message #606460 ]
Mon, 16 September 2013 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

I've watched a few of his interviews recently, and the more I do the more I see similarities to the soccer coach Sir Alex Ferguson. I just see looks on his face, the tone of his comments, the barbs of his answers. If he can be half as successful I'll be happy, and whilst we want immediate success and I'm sure he does, this club and the fans have to give him at least 2 seasons or more to get everyone up to speed.

The "I dare you to" quote was fun, but for me the most telling was how he saw members of the team suited and leaving 20 minutes after the game. It's you do this my way, that's the old days, this is how we do it now attitude. The players will buy into it, if they don't trade them and get the ones who will.

I said be patient with Ralph, we weren't which is a shame as I don't doubt he'd have got us to where we want, but this guy seems to be moving a bit quicker, and a bit more authority and is doing it his way and not the way the club has done it for years, and that's something I'm liking.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #606464 is a reply to message #606462 ]
Mon, 16 September 2013 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Yeah, I like the our team, not the 80's team attitude he's bringing. And the more serious approach to maximizing player fitness.

There seems to be a "Us vs The World" attitude he's bringing to the team, and the first target is not making buddies with media.

Hopefully it benefits with some more wins and a team that stands up for itself.

I'm liking what I'm hearing, but I had similar thoughts when they hired Quinn/Renney/Krueger.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #606465 is a reply to message #606464 ]
Mon, 16 September 2013 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

nullterm wrote on Mon, 16 September 2013 04:40

Yeah, I like the our team, not the 80's team attitude he's bringing.

I wonder how his bosses feel about it? MacT, Lowe, and to a lesser extent his assistants Buchberger and Smith. I'm guessing he would have needed their permission before doing it - but me, as much as I love the 80s Oilers, it's the past. I agree with him - time to live in the now.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #607375 is a reply to message #606433 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

No Cups

hmc wrote on Sun, 15 September 2013 13:43

He also apparently hates it when the hacks start their "questions" with "talk about…".

First question at the following link, one of the reporters tries to get Eakins him to "talk about" Perron's hands. It doesn't go well: http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4& id=447467

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #607382 is a reply to message #607375 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eedok  is currently offline eedok

No Cups

hmc wrote on Wed, 25 September 2013 06:36

hmc wrote on Sun, 15 September 2013 13:43

First question at the following link, one of the reporters tries to get Eakins him to "talk about" Perron's hands. It doesn't go well: http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4& id=447467

I do enjoy his philosophy of the best way to protect a lead is to score more goals

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #607426 is a reply to message #606433 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zoofarmcheater  is currently offline zoofarmcheater

No Cups

hmc wrote on Sun, 15 September 2013 11:43

Great example of this last night - the reporter says: "Can you start by talking about the hands that David Perron has?"
Eakins: "You want me to talk about his hands? He has a left one and a right one."

Eakins is going to have some great interviews this year.

"You've got to smile every day because life you just live once. You've got to push everything you can every day and be nice with the people and keep your family in your heart." - Nail Yakupov

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #606470 is a reply to message #606399 ]
Mon, 16 September 2013 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dekes  is currently offline Dekes

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Sat, 14 September 2013 21:16

He should replace the chairs with recumbent bicycles.

So far I'll temper my feelings but I'm firmly in the thumbs up category. Perhaps the spunky attitude was mandated from MacT et al and that's why they hired him and fired Krueger

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #606436 is a reply to message #600429 ]
Sun, 15 September 2013 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Eakins is causing waves and doing a damn fine job of it, not only making the players accountable, but the media too.

Ba da da da da.. I'm lovin' it. <-- erm to coin a phrase...

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #606441 is a reply to message #606436 ]
Sun, 15 September 2013 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Sun, 15 September 2013 12:23

Eakins is causing waves and doing a damn fine job of it, not only making the players accountable, but the media too.

Ba da da da da.. I'm lovin' it. <-- erm to coin a phrase...

I'm far too jaded to get on with the new coach love in.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #606447 is a reply to message #606436 ]
Sun, 15 September 2013 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bryan Halls Toupee  is currently offline Bryan Halls Toupee

No Cups

At least a couple of media folks have commented on Eakins grim demeanor and lack of sense of humor. Maybe he doesn't display it in public or with the media.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #738839 is a reply to message #600429 ]
Sun, 16 June 2019 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Super excited to hear Dallas Eakins will be coaching in our division. Between that and Seattle joining up we should at least have the illusion of improvement the next couple seasons!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #738840 is a reply to message #738839 ]
Sun, 16 June 2019 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 16 June 2019 12:40

Super excited to hear Dallas Eakins will be coaching in our division. Between that and Seattle joining up we should at least have the illusion of improvement the next couple seasons!

I don't know, I have this really Oilers-esque feeling that Eakins is going to have a very good record coaching against Edmonton. It's just the way it goes! Something's in the water in Edmonton, man.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #738843 is a reply to message #738840 ]
Sun, 16 June 2019 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

WhoreableGuy wrote on Sun, 16 June 2019 12:49

I don't know, I have this really Oilers-esque feeling that Eakins is going to have a very good record coaching against Edmonton. It's just the way it goes! Something's in the water in Edmonton, man.

I don’t know who it is that tracks these things but my prediction for Eakins tenure in Anaheim is 3 years or less, one or fewer playoff appearances and a maximum of two playoff wins.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #738841 is a reply to message #738839 ]
Sun, 16 June 2019 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

His hype is similar to when he was with the Marlies. AHL players saying how much they love and respect him, and how he drives them and they would do anything he asks (one guy says he would go through a brick wall for Eakins).

Now he has to make the jump again from being the guy acting as gatekeeper for guys being able to show their stuff to try to make the NHL for a 1000%+ increase in salary, to coaching guys that are all already millionaires with guaranteed contracts.

Hope it goes about the same for him as last time.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #738842 is a reply to message #738841 ]
Sun, 16 June 2019 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Swarm of Ducks

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #738852 is a reply to message #738841 ]
Sun, 16 June 2019 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 16 June 2019 13:43

His hype is similar to when he was with the Marlies. AHL players saying how much they love and respect him, and how he drives them and they would do anything he asks (one guy says he would go through a brick wall for Eakins).

Now he has to make the jump again from being the guy acting as gatekeeper for guys being able to show their stuff to try to make the NHL for a 1000%+ increase in salary, to coaching guys that are all already millionaires with guaranteed contracts.

McLellan AND Eakins in our division? Good lord, it's like the hockey gods are stacking the deck for us again...of course, last time it looked like we couldn't fail, we sure showed everyone that nothing is impossible...but hopefully this time we do a little better!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #738854 is a reply to message #738852 ]
Sun, 16 June 2019 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 16 June 2019 22:52

McLellan AND Eakins in our division? Good lord, it's like the hockey gods are stacking the deck for us again...of course, last time it looked like we couldn't fail, we sure showed everyone that nothing is impossible...but hopefully this time we do a little better!

And the mess that is Vancouver and Phoenix until they’re replaced with Seattle. Sadly there are three competent teams left. I don't like the Oilers’ odds

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #738855 is a reply to message #738854 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 16 June 2019 23:27

Adam wrote on Sun, 16 June 2019 22:52

And the mess that is Vancouver and Phoenix until they’re replaced with Seattle. Sadly there are three competent teams left. I don't like the Oilers’ odds

Even there though, there's lots of reasons to think that there could be some big challenges for those teams.

San Jose has a huge issue with free agents. Pavelski, Thornton, Karlsson, Donskoi, and Nyquist headline the UFAs, and then Meier and Labanc are RFAs looking at big raises. Only $24MM of cap room with all those players left to either sign or replace. Only 7 forwards under contract currently. For what it's worth, I hope they can re-sign most of those guys. I would like to see them continue to bet on older players.

Flames aren't in as tight a spot - only second deals needed for Tkachuk and Bennett...I assume those will eat up most of the rest of their cap space though...will be hard to see them adding much, and I think that's a beatable team.

Vegas is going to have to move a player or two. They're already at the cap for next year - with William Karlsson left to sign. I still think that the Knights didn't plan to be as good as they've been - so I'm less concerned about their management. Blundering their way to success isn't likely to be a successful model moving forward.

I think it's still the weakest division in hockey next year, which means there's lots of easy points up for grabs. If the team fails to grab that opportunity while it lasts, well, then they deserve what they get.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #738953 is a reply to message #738855 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

an estimated $81,000,000 salary cap (talking heads a couple years ago were saying we should expect it go up to 90+); NHL rosters usually carry what, 22-23 players? Makes average salary for a player on the roster about $3,000,000. Meanwhile GM's are throwing out 9-10-11 million (on top of handing out NMCs) to sign players who are either injured, over the hill, or average to inconsistent. I get that cap is intended to increase parity and level the playing field, but my god, NHL GM's are truly doing it themselves, while also screwing the league, and to an extent players in the process. Need to have someone (or multiple people) who are more than just capologists, who can predict salary cap trends over 3-4-5 years. Tough to do. Absolute mess.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 June 2019 13:54]

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Puljujarvi wants out.
Next Topic:Oilers 19-20 pre-season schedule
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca