This day on May 20
None

Happy Birthday To: jimtao, hemmerhockey

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GMPages (6): [1  2  3  4  5  6  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728581]
Tue, 22 January 2019 23:31 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Who will be named the next GM of the Oilers?[ 90 vote(s) ]
1.Kevin Lowe 1 / 1%
2.Craig MacTavish 5 / 6%
3.Scott Howson 2 / 2%
4.Keith Gretzky 26 / 29%
5.Wayne Gretzky 2 / 2%
6.Mark Messier 0 / 0%
7.Bob Nicholson 0 / 0%
8.Ken Hitchcock 7 / 8%
9.Paul Coffey 0 / 0%
10.Outside Hire 47 / 52%

With Chiarelli's imminent firing, who do you predict will be named the next GM in the oncoming days? Interim or permanent.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 January 2019 23:54]

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728582 is a reply to message #728581 ]
Tue, 22 January 2019 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

I think I'm going to be sick. confused4

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728604 is a reply to message #728582 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim is currently online Skookum Jim

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 22:32

I think I'm going to be sick. confused4

puke

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728585 is a reply to message #728581 ]
Tue, 22 January 2019 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

lol, "Outside Hire". Added that option for laughs I assume.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728589 is a reply to message #728585 ]
Tue, 22 January 2019 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 22:35

lol, "Outside Hire". Added that option for laughs I assume.

Nonsense, I hear this hotshot named Devin Rowe may have the inside track.

https://insertface.com/download-image.php?p=InsertFace-com-3752-moustache-your-face-mc8tTJ.jpg&id=3752&t=VIEW%22%20title=%22Like%20on%20Facebook%22%3EFacebook%3C/a%3E%20%3Ca%20class=%22ob%22%20rel=%22nofollow%22%20target=%22_blank%22%20href=%22http://twitter.com/share?url=https%3A%2F%2Finsertface.com%2Fview.php%3Fn%3DInsertFace-com-3752-moustache-your-face-mc8tTJ.jpg%26id%3D3752%26t%3DVIEW

Clean house or bust

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728588 is a reply to message #728581 ]
Tue, 22 January 2019 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Get ready for GM Ryan Smyth!

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728597 is a reply to message #728588 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 23:45

Smytty was never in the Katz treehouse club.

Something like Horcoff with the MacT training wheels is more likely to happen.

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728607 is a reply to message #728597 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 00:07

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 23:45

Smytty was never in the Katz treehouse club.

Something like Horcoff with the MacT training wheels is more likely to happen.

I think those guys do like Smytty, but they’ve known him a long time. The guy is not cut out for any management job of any type. Canned cliches can’t get him by in any role where they’d rely on him to do anything but follow orders.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728598 is a reply to message #728581 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I've long believed the Oilers see Keith Gretzky as the heir apparent. The second most likely is Scott Howson (despite his hilariously bad and unsuccessful run as GM of Columbus.)

For what it's worth, I don't like the other names being bandied about either - Hextall, Yzerman? Is anther former player from the 80s really going to change the groupthink that much? Unless everyone else is gone, there's no way I want those guys joining the group to reminisce about old Canada Cups over a glass of Gretzky Cab Sauv...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728605 is a reply to message #728598 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 23:07

I've long believed the Oilers see Keith Gretzky as the heir apparent. The second most likely is Scott Howson (despite his hilariously bad and unsuccessful run as GM of Columbus.)

For what it's worth, I don't like the other names being bandied about either - Hextall, Yzerman? Is anther former player from the 80s really going to change the groupthink that much? Unless everyone else is gone, there's no way I want those guys joining the group to reminisce about old Canada Cups over a glass of Gretzky Cab Sauv...

Yzerman is going to be the next GM in Detroit, he's never left the city. Although I'd take him for sure, he created a good team in Tampa.
Hextall ? No thanks.
Hope its not K. Gretzky, he's had a hand in most of PC's recent moves.. which indicates a total lack of talent assessment skill.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728606 is a reply to message #728605 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 00:25

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 23:07

Yzerman is going to be the next GM in Detroit, he's never left the city. Although I'd take him for sure, he created a good team in Tampa.
Hextall ? No thanks.
Hope its not K. Gretzky, he's had a hand in most of PC's recent moves.. which indicates a total lack of talent assessment skill.

Also plays the role of best supporting stooge in the infamous Seguin trade Behind the B episode.

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728610 is a reply to message #728598 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 00:07

My vote is everyone else gone. And Yzerman.

Neither will ever happen. And I'm not sure it gets better until all those other voices are gone.

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728599 is a reply to message #728581 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeff340  is currently offline jeff340

No Cups

Bob Stauffer

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728611 is a reply to message #728581 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr. Oil  is currently offline Dr. Oil

1 Cup

A quick perusal of Twitter shows that the Oilers are not only ridiculed by fans of other Canadian teams, but by mainstream media members from random American cities who shouldn't even care about the Oilers.

If the organization re-hires an OBC member tomorrow, they are honestly the most tone-deaf franchise in sports. This month has been a soul-crushing kick to the junk for us fans.

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728613 is a reply to message #728611 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Dr. Oil wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 23:33

A quick perusal of Twitter shows that the Oilers are not only ridiculed by fans of other Canadian teams, but by mainstream media members from random American cities who shouldn't even care about the Oilers.

If the organization re-hires an OBC member tomorrow, they are honestly the most tone-deaf franchise in sports. This month has been a soul-crushing kick to the junk for us fans.

I hope you are still wearing your groin protector tomorrow...

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728617 is a reply to message #728611 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dr. Oil wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 00:33

Hey, Keith Gretzky did not play for the Oilers! He was a draft pick of the Buffalo Sabres? Why would anyone even think he might be more of the same?

If the Oilers are smart, they’re saying simply that they’re going to run a search and that anyone they nominally put in charge now is simply a placeholder. If I was them and I even intended that person to be permanent I’d still say that...make the announcement when (if?) the heat dies down. But it’s the Oilers so who knows. We could still possibly see Kevin Lowe’s music play and him bust on-stage to claim back his title.

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728620 is a reply to message #728581 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

Doug Weight.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728623 is a reply to message #728620 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

With 36% of the vote, we apparently have a "winner" for lack of a better term.

John Shannon
‏Verified account @JSportsnet

Keith Gretzky will assume many of Chiarelli’s duties in the next few weeks, with Vice Chairman Bob Nicholson being more involved until they find a new GM.

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728625 is a reply to message #728623 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 01:06

John Shannon

Keith Gretzky will assume many of Chiarelli’s duties in the next few weeks, with Vice Chairman Bob Nicholson being more involved until they find a new GM.

“No Bob, for the 1000th time, we can’t just pick all the best players! It doesn’t work that way!”

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728627 is a reply to message #728623 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

John Shannon

Oh good. Chiarelli 2.0 with a splash of nepotism.

Whoever it is, it better be temporary with the sole responsibility of deal of expiring contracts. The season is over. Clear out all of management (leave coaching for now), and just start over with new ideas, new perspectives, a hopefully competent President and Manager who can build a better team around himself. And no former Oilers or family members.

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728629 is a reply to message #728627 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 01:40

John Shannon

Whoever it is, it better be temporary with the sole responsibility of deal of expiring contracts. The season is over. Clear out all of management (leave coaching for now), and just start over with new ideas, new perspectives, a hopefully competent President and Manager who can build a better team around himself. And no former Oilers or family members.

Would you settle for fake temporary with a quiet summer announcement on its permanence?

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728698 is a reply to message #728629 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 01:46

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 01:40

John Shannon

Would you settle for fake temporary with a quiet summer announcement on its permanence?

Nope. Chiarelli was awful, but had all kinds of help in being so. Gretzky most of all.

They all have to go. Clear all management. This organization is rotten to its core.

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728635 is a reply to message #728581 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

The prodigal son, Chris Pronger makes his return to Edmonton to right the ship.

It would be glorious!

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728707 is a reply to message #728635 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

My hope is hunter - but its going be gretz. The only way we move fwd is a total rage quite and destroy every employee minus Joey Moss.

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728709 is a reply to message #728707 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Stauffer already said this min, he doesn't think it will be an internal candidate. He's the mouth piece of the team so I assume he's speaking with team info. For my perspective, please, please bring in an outside guy.

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728715 is a reply to message #728709 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 09:26

Stauffer already said this min, he doesn't think it will be an internal candidate. He's the mouth piece of the team so I assume he's speaking with team info. For my perspective, please, please bring in an outside guy.

Won't matter. The guys making the decisions on the hire have no idea what is wrong with this team. How do you possibly meaningfully interview and identify a person that can fix this mess when you think that the issues are all culture and character?

These were the same issues that they thought were holding the team back when they hired Chiarelli. He came in and turned over 95% of the roster, and they didn't get any better because they fundamentally don't understand how to identify issues and build a winning roster.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 January 2019 10:46]

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728719 is a reply to message #728715 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 10:43

Won't matter. The guys making the decisions on the hire have no idea what is wrong with this team. How do you possibly meaningfully interview and identify a person that can fix this mess when you think that the issues are all culture and character?

These were the same issues that they thought were holding the team back when they hired Chiarelli. He came in and turned over 95% of the roster, and they didn't get any better because they fundamentally don't understand how to identify issues and build a winning roster.

Frightening that Nicholson was suggesting this team is good enough already to make the playoffs and they just need better character to bring it out of the group. He doesn't get it.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728724 is a reply to message #728719 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 11:03

Frightening that Nicholson was suggesting this team is good enough already to make the playoffs and they just need better character to bring it out of the group. He doesn't get it.

Question for you and this isn't me sticking up for the team at all. They have lost my faith. But what did you expect him to say? Did you think the Pres was going to come out and say "Our team is a pile of crap, we need to burn it down. The only good player is McDavid, the rest blow and we need to get rid of these bums? "

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728728 is a reply to message #728724 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 11:14

Question for you and this isn't me sticking up for the team at all. They have lost my faith. But what did you expect him to say? Did you think the Pres was going to come out and say "Our team is a pile of crap, we need to burn it down. The only good player is McDavid, the rest blow and we need to get rid of these bums? "

I expect him to say everyone below him is only here to the end of the season and will need to make their case to a new externaly hired GM to keep their jobs, and the direction management took building this team since 2015 was clearly flawed and this org needs a new approach and new ideas.

He didn't even need to really mention the team. He can just say everything is up for review, and the players need to bring their best if they want to be a part of the solution.

He shouldn't be selling hope that this is a playoff team and the only reason it wouldn't be is the players are just not doing what they're supposed to be doing. That's a load of crap and everyone knows it. It's a long season, all teams have highs and lows, all players go through good runs and slumps. The difference between a good and bad team is having the players to have more good periods than the other guys, and this team does not have the players to do that consistently.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 January 2019 11:23]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728730 is a reply to message #728728 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 12:19

I expect him to say everyone below him is only here to the end of the season and will need to make their case to a new externaly hired GM to keep their jobs, and the direction management took building this team since 2015 was clearly flawed and this org needs a new approach and new ideas.

He didn't even need to really mention the team. He can just say everything is up for review, and the players need to bring their best if they want to be a part of the solution.

He shouldn't be selling hope that this is a playoff team and the only reason it wouldn't be is the players are just not doing what they're supposed to be doing. That's a load of crap and everyone knows it.

While I do agree with what you say here KR, the fact of the matter remains that this team is 3 points out despite how utterly poop they’ve been. I don’t think they want to admit a large scale failure that would insinuate a rebuild with McDavid in the 1st year of his new deal. They can, believe it or not, make the playoffs. Hard to believe with the recent news

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728731 is a reply to message #728730 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 11:23

He shouldn't be selling hope that this is a playoff team and the only reason it wouldn't be is the players are just not doing what they're supposed to be doing. That's a load of crap and everyone knows it.

While I do agree with what you say here KR, the fact of the matter remains that this team is 3 points out despite how utterly poop they’ve been. I don’t think they want to admit a large scale failure that would insinuate a rebuild with McDavid in the 1st year of his new deal. They can, believe it or not, make the playoffs. Hard to believe with the recent news

Yeah, the west is trash right now making it seem like 85 or so points could be enough to get in. But, I still expect some teams build better than ours will go on some hot runs and get that back to at least 90.

90 points requires what now? 9 games over .500 the rest of the way. A record like 19-10-3.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728733 is a reply to message #728731 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 12:25

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 11:23

Yeah, the west is trash right now making it seem like 85 or so points could be enough to get in. But, I still expect some teams build better than ours will go on some hot runs and get that back to at least 90.

90 points requires what now? 9 games over .500 the rest of the way. A record like 19-10-3.

Sounds about right. I don’t see it happening. This team isn’t going to just come out of the break ‘refreshed’ and ready to work. A few players will, I’m sure. 97, 93, 29 when he’s paired with 97... 77 and 6 should be good. 44, like his salary or not, has been good of late imo. But there’s just too many passengers.

Bob insinuated that they’ll (Keith) will make some moves soon. I’d wager they, like recent moves, won’t be ‘sexy’. Bob also said they’re not the 1st. He didn’t say they aren’t trading JP, though he said if they do trade a younger player (like JP) it will be for a return that doesn’t hurt the future.

He did a lot of ‘not hurt the future’ talk while also saying there’s no rebuild going on.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728732 is a reply to message #728730 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 10:23

Counter-point: the Oilers are on pace for 80 points. If anyone in the organization thinks that is acceptable because they're currently 3 points out of a playoff spot (but need to leapfrog 4 teams), should have been fired with Chiarelli yesterday.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728736 is a reply to message #728732 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 12:29

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 10:23

Counter-point: the Oilers are on pace for 80 points. If anyone in the organization thinks that is acceptable because they're currently 3 points out of a playoff spot (but need to leapfrog 4 teams), should have been fired with Chiarelli yesterday.

Oh absolutely. But Chia was always going to be the fall guy.

I said in an earlier thread that this 7 game stretch heading into the ASG would be telling. With the only non-playoff teams we faced being Calgary and Buffalo. Well, we went 3-4 over that stretch... simply not good enough.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728721 is a reply to message #728715 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Let's be serious for a second - if they hire Hunter as GM/President and give him actual control. Could he not then replace coaching staff, scouting (pro and am), assistant GMs and so on. I would like to see a young mind among the staff as well.

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728726 is a reply to message #728721 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 12:04

Let's be serious for a second - if they hire Hunter as GM/President and give him actual control. Could he not then replace coaching staff, scouting (pro and am), assistant GMs and so on. I would like to see a young mind among the staff as well.

That’s the idea, that a GM/PoHO has control of hockey ops... the problem is there is a perception (as long as the OBC is employed by the OEG) that the Oilers are not run that way.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728735 is a reply to message #728726 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Here is a question and it would be cool to have a discussion about it rather than it just be another rant about why everyone sucks.

If during the search for a GM, it was decided that someone like say a Bill Guerin or Norm McIver, 2 guys who have been assistant GM's for a while for other teams, are supposed to be potential future GM's, don't have a tie to the "old boys club" but have played for the Oilers briefly. Would those guys be acceptable or does any candidate have to have zero ties to anything Oilers? Like when a new GM is hired, if it turns out he's the 3rd cousin of the Messier which even he had no clue about, will Oilers fans go irrationally nuts like they do on most things?

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728737 is a reply to message #728735 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 12:37

Here is a question and it would be cool to have a discussion about it rather than it just be another rant about why everyone sucks.

If during the search for a GM, it was decided that someone like say a Bill Guerin or Norm McIver, 2 guys who have been assistant GM's for a while for other teams, are supposed to be potential future GM's, don't have a tie to the "old boys club" but have played for the Oilers briefly. Would those guys be acceptable or does any candidate have to have zero ties to anything Oilers? Like when a new GM is hired, if it turns out he's the 3rd cousin of the Messier which even he had no clue about, will Oilers fans go irrationally nuts like they do on most things?

You bet your butt fans will go irrationally nuts... it’s in the water man!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728742 is a reply to message #728737 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 10:38

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 12:37

You bet your butt fans will go irrationally nuts... it’s in the water man!

Obvious Answer: The team needs to get better bottled water.. get the research team on it..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Predict Who Will Be Named the Next GM [message #728738 is a reply to message #728735 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 11:37

Probably, but this is with cause.

If the Oilers do a real search and interview multiple candidates for the job and decide Bill Guerin or Theordore H. Messier Jr. is the right man for the job it's fine... assuming the right man gets to go through the organization and make the hard decisions that need to be made. I'll accept Kieth Gretzky as GM if his first move as official GM is to thank the departing executives for their time and banishes them from everything but nostalgia events (which will not be allowed until after the next trip to the Conference Finals).

I don't see that happening, so I'll be rationally nuts with whatever move they make.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Pages (6): [1  2  3  4  5  6  >  »]  
Previous Topic:K. Lowe Leaves the Oil Party Planning Committee
Next Topic:New Third Jersey
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca