This day on May 2
None

Happy Birthday To: Oil Fan stuck in Cowtown, Filthy, Yozzy, oilymion, Blurr, mandingo, Smyty98

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for PetrovicPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726184 is a reply to message #726130 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

I agree with the Benning sentiment. He overplays for his ability and costs the team. Wideman looks like better forward material than defence. He's a good skater with decent puck skills but can't compete in the heavy going so I don't mind the trade for a bigger, stronger player who is likely an upgrade defensively. I guess Chia is stuck with what he can get at this stage to try to stay afloat so it's worth a shot. Too bad about the pick but they hardly ever pan out here anyway.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726629 is a reply to message #726184 ]
Sun, 06 January 2019 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kings-place-scherbak-wai vers-wideman-schmaltz-also-waived/

Wideman already on waivers in Fla.

This team is a complete joke. Management needs to be involved in some kind of life altering freak accident that only leaves them unable to work for the team any longer. No other impairments.

I bet the NHL is not pleased with the Oilers for the last decade, getting too many players close to the pensionable service number while not being NHL calibre.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726631 is a reply to message #726629 ]
Sun, 06 January 2019 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

jerekybeef wrote on Sun, 06 January 2019 14:48

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kings-place-scherbak-wai vers-wideman-schmaltz-also-waived/

This team is a complete joke. Management needs to be involved in some kind of life altering freak accident that only leaves them unable to work for the team any longer. No other impairments.

I bet the NHL is not pleased with the Oilers for the last decade, getting too many players close to the pensionable service number while not being NHL calibre.

Eh, there’ll only be more players closer to that number with a 32nd team forthcoming.

In all seriousness, I wouldn’t be shocked if Chiarelli puts in a claim for Schmaltz or Scherbak.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726645 is a reply to message #726629 ]
Sun, 06 January 2019 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

jerekybeef wrote on Sun, 06 January 2019 13:48

Turns out we are the cap dump team for everyone. And we even pay teams with picks and last semi-useful once in a while wingers to take their cap dumps.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726119 is a reply to message #726096 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Pick is conditional per McKenzie.

Quote:

Pending trade call with NHL. BTW, EDM has two third-round picks in 2019. FLA will get the better of the two picks. So, for now, it will be a conditional third round pick

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726120 is a reply to message #726119 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 13:53

Quote:

Pending trade call with NHL. BTW, EDM has two third-round picks in 2019. FLA will get the better of the two picks. So, for now, it will be a conditional third round pick

lol, can't just pick one to give, gotta concede it will definitely be the better one based on final standings. Why does this stuff always happen to us?

In any case, hope Petrovic can get his career back on track. I remember people holding him in high regard a few years ago, he was trending up. Hit a wall since though.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726123 is a reply to message #726120 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 13:55

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 13:53

Quote:

lol, can't just pick one to give, gotta concede it will definitely be the better one based on final standings. Why does this stuff always happen to us?

In any case, hope Petrovic can get his career back on track. I remember people holding him in high regard a few years ago, he was trending up. Hit a wall since though.

With our scouting supposedly improved, why are we so quick to throw draft picks away for marginal NHLers?

To me, this is more shuffling around of the deck chairs. Petrovic doesn’t help any of this team’s long term areas of need, he’s simply another 6/7 defenceman.

Ive said it before but this season is starting to feel like a redux of the MacTavish era where we make band aid trades in the hopes of hitting a surprise home run.

I do wonder who is making the trade calls these days. It felt yesterday like Chia is at the end of his rope with even Stauffer very critical of him.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726126 is a reply to message #726123 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

When it comes to Wideman, it didn't hurt to give him a try but when ANY coaching staff decides it's better to play Jason Garrison over you, you are not a good player in my books. Garrison's days as an NHLer are over and he took playing time from Wideman. That's not good.

When it comes to Petrovic, the Oilers need 6 solid guys to play every night. They definitely do not have that now with the injuries and even when they are fully healthy, I do not know if they would have it. Benning can't be a top 4 and on a lot of nights, he doesn't even look capable of being a 3rd pairing guy. He's in this 3rd season with 168 games so far and the guy is sooooo inconsistent. They gave up a 3rd round pick when they have 2 of them. A lot of 3rd round picks don't ever make the NHL and if they do they are what 4-5 years away from their draft year? Chair is a good example. He was a 3rd rounder taken in June 2012. He played 69 games last year and has been in most games this year. So he's probably now considered a NHLer. It took him 6 years to make the NHL other than a cup of coffee. If Petrovic can come in, give the Oilers some decent mins and help them now, sacrificing a pick that MIGHT get you a player 6 years from now, isn't that big of a cost in my opinion.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726137 is a reply to message #726123 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 21:23

With our scouting supposedly improved, why are we so quick to throw draft picks away for marginal NHLers?

Cuz with a 'generational talent' this team should be perennial cup contenders. That implies win now all the time. Better to improve the team now than worry about a 3rd rounder in the future.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726128 is a reply to message #726096 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

He seems to be in the mold of Kris Russell. If he is, I'll take that.
Seems to have been a big part of the Panthers plans as recently as the start of this year, but his ice time has declined. That may be a red flag.
Better than Wideman, almost assuredly, but a 3rd round pick is not a small asset.
Let's just give him time to show what he can do.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726207 is a reply to message #726096 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hitch press conference yesterday may be a bit concerning to some. Long rants about how we haven't been defending well and need size to break up cycles. I think these moves to add big physical D (Manning with a nasty streak) were done in part to appease a void Hitch feels the team has.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726209 is a reply to message #726096 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Take Chia's phone away, Petrovic I can sort of see, sort of.

Manning?

Like everyone else.. take Chia's phone away.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:MacT the coach of Lokomotiv
Next Topic:Draft Wrap-up
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca