F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Khaira has disciplinary hearing; suspended 2 games
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Khaira has disciplinary hearing; suspended 2 games [message #725571]
Wed, 19 December 2018 13:58 Go to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-khaira-hearing-cr oss-checking-blues-dunn/

The NHL Department of Player Safety could hand out more discipline after a wild cross-checking sequence in Tuesday’s game between the Edmonton Oilers and St. Louis Blues.

....."Edmonton forward Jujhar Khaira will have a hearing for cross-checking the Blues’ Vince Dunn, while Dunn was fined $1,942.20, the maximum allowed, for cross-checking Khaira."....

...not a surprise, but Dunn was playing pretty dirty, too....I'm looking at this through my blue and orange tinted glasses, but I think a fine would be sufficient....Kharia is not a normally dirty player....physical, yes - but not dirtry....

edit to add details of suspension....

https://www.tsn.ca/khaira-suspended-two-games-for-cross-chec k-1.1228875

...."Edmonton Oilers forward Jujhar Khaira has been suspended two games for cross-checking St. Louis Blues defenceman Vince Dunn during Tuesday night's 4-1 loss, the NHL Department of Player Safety announced."....

....too severe for a first time offender IMHO....

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Khaira to have disciplinary hearing [message #725572 is a reply to message #725571 ]
Wed, 19 December 2018 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 19 December 2018 13:58

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-khaira-hearing-cr oss-checking-blues-dunn/

The NHL Department of Player Safety could hand out more discipline after a wild cross-checking sequence in Tuesday’s game between the Edmonton Oilers and St. Louis Blues.

....."Edmonton forward Jujhar Khaira will have a hearing for cross-checking the Blues’ Vince Dunn, while Dunn was fined $1,942.20, the maximum allowed, for cross-checking Khaira."....

...not a surprise, but Dunn was playing pretty dirty, too....I'm looking at this through my blue and orange tinted glasses, but I think a fine would be sufficient....Kharia is not a normally dirty player....physical, yes - but not dirtry....

I expect he gets a game. It looked pretty vicious, and a play the NHL doesn't want to see. They're going to give him a seat.

I don't expect it will be too harsh, but they'll give him a good rap on the knuckles here.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Khaira to have disciplinary hearing [message #725573 is a reply to message #725571 ]
Wed, 19 December 2018 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 19 December 2018 12:58

The only reason it looks worse than Dunn's is because the stick slid down onto Dunn's neck. I'm happy with the response, guy gets cross checked in the head.. you give it back.. F 'im.

Everyone saying he'll get one .. he'll get two .. because Oilers.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Khaira to have disciplinary hearing [message #725578 is a reply to message #725573 ]
Wed, 19 December 2018 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 19 December 2018 14:08

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 19 December 2018 12:58

The only reason it looks worse than Dunn's is because the stick slid down onto Dunn's neck. I'm happy with the response, guy gets cross checked in the head.. you give it back.. F 'im.

Everyone saying he'll get one .. he'll get two .. because Oilers.

Of course, sometimes it's worth the suspension. Dunn will probably think twice about doing that to Khaira again...Sucks that it was a bad time for lack of discipline - and it cost us, since they scored that third goal on the ensuing PP, but if he was going to take one, at least he made it worthwhile...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Khaira to have disciplinary hearing [message #725584 is a reply to message #725578 ]
Wed, 19 December 2018 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I have no problem with it. Something you have to let people know you aren't going to put up with their crap.

Re: Khaira to have disciplinary hearing [message #725594 is a reply to message #725584 ]
Wed, 19 December 2018 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

...."Edmonton Oilers forward Jujhar Khaira has been suspended two games for cross-checking St. Louis Blues defenceman Vince Dunn during Tuesday night's 4-1 loss, the NHL Department of Player Safety announced."....

Re: Khaira to have disciplinary hearing [message #725596 is a reply to message #725594 ]
Wed, 19 December 2018 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 19 December 2018 17:15

It was worth it just to give the other guys something to think about. That boy aint right!

Re: Khaira has disciplinary hearingsuspended 2games [message #725598 is a reply to message #725571 ]
Wed, 19 December 2018 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

This league is run by a bunch of jokers. I saw the re play and if JJ gets two the other guy should at least have got one game for initiating it with something similar.

Re: Khaira has disciplinary hearingsuspended 2games [message #725599 is a reply to message #725598 ]
Wed, 19 December 2018 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

If JJ collapsed like he was shot after Dunn crosschecked him to the head first, we would have got the 5 min PP and Dunn could be getting suspended.

Gotta learn from this JJ :) It's a divers take all league now.

Still don't get why Dunn wasn't taken for the concussion protocol. He was right back out there for the PP. Looked like he had a near death experience just a couple minutes prior.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 December 2018 19:26]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Khaira has disciplinary hearingsuspended 2games [message #725600 is a reply to message #725571 ]
Wed, 19 December 2018 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Ya, the statement the league is making is just go down in a heap. It'll get you a longer penalty on the ice, and it'll lead to suspension for the other guy.

All the d-bags (Tkachuk, Marchand, etc.) already know this.

Re: Khaira has disciplinary hearingsuspended 2games [message #725603 is a reply to message #725571 ]
Wed, 19 December 2018 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Called it. Oilers get stiffed with these suspensions worse than ANYBODY in the league.
Rule of thumb is take the worst suspension you think could be given based on other similar infractions, then double it for whatever Oiler in question.

Its just a lack of respect by the NHL for the franchise, and the people that live there.
The Capitals Wilson shouldn't even be playing this year if you extrapolate the ratio of JJ's suspension severity to infraction level, and apply that to what Wilson has REPEATEDLY done for years.. base don that Wilson should be suspended for fkn life.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 December 2018 23:07]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Khaira has disciplinary hearingsuspended 2games [message #725605 is a reply to message #725603 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I think it's a little heavy handed especially when you give Dunn a tiny fine for drilling Khaira in the head then give Khaira a 2 game suspension. Did Khaira do his because he was pissed off? Hell yeah he did, he just got drilled in the head a second before. I'd be pissed too looking for blood. I expected probably 1 games but 2 games is a joke considering what Dunn got.

Re: Khaira has disciplinary hearingsuspended 2games [message #725608 is a reply to message #725605 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Khaira needs to learn that being tough and popping up right away after you get drilled in the head isn't a good thing. He should have took his time getting up, look like you are laboring, have a look of pretend pain on your face. Just like Dunn. THEN you get action from the NHL.

Re: Khaira has disciplinary hearingsuspended 2games [message #725642 is a reply to message #725603 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 19 December 2018 23:05

Called it. Oilers get stiffed with these suspensions worse than ANYBODY in the league.
Rule of thumb is take the worst suspension you think could be given based on other similar infractions, then double it for whatever Oiler in question.

Its just a lack of respect by the NHL for the franchise, and the people that live there.
The Capitals Wilson shouldn't even be playing this year if you extrapolate the ratio of JJ's suspension severity to infraction level, and apply that to what Wilson has REPEATEDLY done for years.. base don that Wilson should be suspended for fkn life.

Khaira deserves the suspension for the sheer stupidity of his retaliation. This is not a bad call by the league.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Khaira has disciplinary hearingsuspended 2games [message #725652 is a reply to message #725642 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

He deserved one game. Two games is just petty.

No biggie though. With Rieder back in the lineup it's not a major blow to the team.

Re: Khaira has disciplinary hearingsuspended 2games [message #725659 is a reply to message #725652 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 22:06

No biggie though. With Rieder back in the lineup it's not a major blow to the team.

You think? He has 8 points in his last 10 games.

For a team dearly lacking in secondary scoring, I find it a bit of a blow.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Khaira has disciplinary hearingsuspended 2games [message #725661 is a reply to message #725659 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 21 December 2018 07:41

shoop wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 22:06

You think? He has 8 points in his last 10 games.

For a team dearly lacking in secondary scoring, I find it a bit of a blow.

Yeah, I thought Khaira had been playing some really good hockey lately / this season. He turned himself into a real NHL hockey player without me noticing.

I'm ok with a two game suspension, he tried to cross check through Dunn.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Khaira has disciplinary hearingsuspended 2games [message #725686 is a reply to message #725661 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 17:33 Go to previous message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

I agree with all of that.

Khaira has been developing well. Two games for Rieder to make for some difficult decisions for Hitchcock when Khaira is back.

Khaira has definitely played well of late, but his resurgence is in line with Hitchcock taking over. Will be interesting to see how Rieder plays under Hitchcock.

Re: Khaira has disciplinary hearing; suspended 2 games [message #725658 is a reply to message #725571 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Josh Morrissey got one playoff game for a very similar play. I was expecting two games for Khaira.

I think the NHL gets a lot wrong (Matheson suspension, ot suspending Wilson again for the skate by to the back of the head), but this incident, based on past precident, seems right. I think.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #36)
Next Topic:Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca