This day on April 26
None

Happy Birthday To: Hemmer2Eberle, Burgeoboy, Weloveoil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725546 is a reply to message #725500 ]
Wed, 19 December 2018 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Special teams killed us in this game, you can hang your hat on the controversial goal (yes it was a goal, the US channel had the angle where puck over the line as Talbot frantically held down his glove.)

The D sucks HARD. Russell is missed and he does a lot for us, always did in my opinion. It was comical to see Garrison glide backwards, I bet he is slower than me and I haven't played in years.

Nurse has taken a step back for sure this year - disappointing.

Hitch can't fix this mess.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725589 is a reply to message #725546 ]
Wed, 19 December 2018 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Seeing lots of tweets about last nights game and the stats guys complaining. A reason why I sometimes have a hard time buying into the stats community and some of the stuff they put out. Woodguy- big time Oilers stats guy who is very vocal - tweeting about how the Oilers need to take Chiasson off the top line because they aren't scoring enough.

McDavid is on a 118 pt pace.
Leon is on a 98 pt pace.
Chiasson has 15 goals so may end up with mid 20's in goals which is good, top line production from the 3rd guy on the line.

#1, who else is there.
#2, How much more can they seriously think they can score? 2 guys with close too or over 100 pts and the 3rd guy with mid 20's in goals isn't enough?

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725592 is a reply to message #725589 ]
Wed, 19 December 2018 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

That is part of the problem, this team is top heavy and therefore predictable, combined with a lack of bottom end scoring and weak 3rd pairing D. So far there hasn't been much to indicate that there is enough skill in the forward group to overcome this. Maybe Drai ( who really looks like he's dragging his but around at times ) just isn't cut out for the heavy minutes being demanded of him. Go Koskinen go!

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725611 is a reply to message #725589 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 19 December 2018 16:16

Seeing lots of tweets about last nights game and the stats guys complaining. A reason why I sometimes have a hard time buying into the stats community and some of the stuff they put out. Woodguy- big time Oilers stats guy who is very vocal - tweeting about how the Oilers need to take Chiasson off the top line because they aren't scoring enough.

Leon is on a 98 pt pace.
Chiasson has 15 goals so may end up with mid 20's in goals which is good, top line production from the 3rd guy on the line.

#1, who else is there.
#2, How much more can they seriously think they can score? 2 guys with close too or over 100 pts and the 3rd guy with mid 20's in goals isn't enough?

I don't see why Rattie shouldn't get a few games back on the top line like Chaisson. The guy knows how to play with McDavid, I'm just not sure that Hitch would He's not useful on the bottom 6, Chiasson was at least still scoring not playing with McDavid. I think it would balance the lines more.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725612 is a reply to message #725611 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 10:11

Leon is on a 98 pt pace.

#1, who else is there.

I don't see why Rattie shouldn't get a few games back on the top line like Chaisson. The guy knows how to play with McDavid, I'm just not sure that Hitch would He's not useful on the bottom 6, Chiasson was at least still scoring not playing with McDavid. I think it would balance the lines more.

I agree. That is why when I saw Woodguy post that Chiasson shouldn't be on the top line, I didn't get it. There will be 2 guys at or well past 100 pts and the 3rd wheel on the line probably scoring mid 20's in goals and that isn't enough?

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725617 is a reply to message #725612 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 09:20

Leon is on a 98 pt pace.

#1, who else is there.

I agree. That is why when I saw Woodguy post that Chiasson shouldn't be on the top line, I didn't get it. There will be 2 guys at or well past 100 pts and the 3rd wheel on the line probably scoring mid 20's in goals and that isn't enough?

I don't want to speak for Woodguy, but that's not exactly what he said.

I'm assuming that this is the tweet you were referencing:

Quote:

@Woodguy55: Hitch has to change out Chiasson on the top line. The only reason their GF% hasn't tanked is due to .950 goaltending behind them. The rest of the results are really bad when you consider its McDavid and Drai out there:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuyojtxVYAA33EB.jpg:small

The usual caveat about small sample sizes and such, but those underlying numbers aren't good. His point isn't specifically that they aren't scoring enough, but that without a .950 save percentage behind them, they would likely be giving up more goals than they are scoring, which isn't okay.

https://twitter.com/Woodguy55/status/1075419767169642497

And later on in the thread, he posted this:

Quote:

@Woodguy55: 3.59 with Chiasson and 4.59 w/o him.

Those are GF/60 rates, so they are actually scoring less with Chiasson than without him. I haven't dug into the numbers at all, so there may be some usage things going on there. And that 4.59 number will include some time with RNH, so it may make more sense to spread out the scoring more.

https://twitter.com/Woodguy55/status/1075421138593824769

But it's the top numbers that are more concerning. It doesn't matter how much that line is scoring if they're on the ice for more goals against than they score, this team is not going to make up that difference from the bottom 12.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 December 2018 10:58]

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725618 is a reply to message #725617 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 10:55

Leon is on a 98 pt pace.

#1, who else is there.

Quote:

@Woodguy55: Hitch has to change out Chiasson on the top line. The only reason their GF% hasn't tanked is due to .950 goaltending behind them. The rest of the results are really bad when you consider its McDavid and Drai out there:

The usual caveat about small sample sizes and such, but those underlying numbers aren't good. His point isn't specifically that they aren't scoring enough, but that without a .950 save percentage behind them, they would likely be giving up more goals than they are scoring, which isn't okay.

Quote:

Those are GF/60 rates, so they are actually scoring less with Chiasson than without him. I haven't dug into the numbers at all, so there may be some usage things going on there. And that 4.59 number will include some time with RNH, so it may make more sense to spread out the scoring more.

But it's the top numbers that are more concerning. It doesn't matter how much that line is scoring if they're on the ice for more goals against than they score, this team is not going to make up that difference from the bottom 12.

Well in my opinion, that's the fault of McDavid and Leon, not Chiasson. You see McDavid and Leon cheating for offense all the time. McDavid is the best, fastest player in the NHL by a lot and how many times do we see McDavid's guy going free with McDavid cruising behind? In all seriousness, what player can't McDavid keep up with and out skill to steal a puck from? So he should be able to be in the hip pocket of every player he lines up against but he's not.

I feel dirty to say anything remotely negative about McDavid but he's the key to that line.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725619 is a reply to message #725618 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Just as I finish that thought, here's the lines they are running with in practice.

Nuge - McDavid - Pulj
Rieder - Leon - Chiasson
Caggulia - Brodziak - Kassian
Lucic - Khaira - Rattie with Spooner and Zykov rotating in. I have to think Spooner will take Khaira's spot at center because of the suspension.

The top lines scoring will probably go down but thank god the underlying numbers will probably go up.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725620 is a reply to message #725618 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 11:07

Leon is on a 98 pt pace.

#1, who else is there.

Quote:

Quote:

Well in my opinion, that's the fault of McDavid and Leon, not Chiasson. You see McDavid and Leon cheating for offense all the time. McDavid is the best, fastest player in the NHL by a lot and how many times do we see McDavid's guy going free with McDavid cruising behind? In all seriousness, what player can't McDavid keep up with and out skill to steal a puck from? So he should be able to be in the hip pocket of every player he lines up against but he's not.

I feel dirty to say anything remotely negative about McDavid but he's the key to that line.

I actually don't think that line has looked that effective recently. They haven't been dominating like they were earlier in the year. It could be Chiasson, it could be fatigue from over-playing those guys, but something likely has to change.

In this morning's practice, it appears that it's Chiasson that Hitchcock elected to change:

Quote:

Bob Stauffer
‏@Bob_Stauffer

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
Caggiula-Brodziak-Kassian
Lucic-Khaira (susp)-Rattie
Spooner likely in for Khaira, Zykov

Also - Lucic practicing on the fourth line...If he skates with Rattie and Spooner, he may set a new low in ice time next game. Does he even get 10 minutes?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725624 is a reply to message #725620 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....from the Oiler website...

...."On defence, Adam Larsson, Kris Russell and Oscar Klefbom did not skate."....

....hopefully, just a maintenance day for Larsson....and may Kris Russell be close to getting healthy again...

....wouldn't mind Zykov getting another chance...

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725625 is a reply to message #725624 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Listening to Stauffer talk Oilers and then describe Benning. He's a 3rd pairing dmen who if you get him to do too much, he struggles because he's not overly fast, quick or strong. But he's smart. icon_neutral

So let me guess this straight. The mouth piece of the team says Benning isn't fast, quick or strong. So for a dman if you aren't fast, quick or strong, there isn't a hell of a lot left. He's worth keeping because....?

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725637 is a reply to message #725625 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 12:18

Listening to Stauffer talk Oilers and then describe Benning. He's a 3rd pairing dmen who if you get him to do too much, he struggles because he's not overly fast, quick or strong. But he's smart. icon_neutral

So let me guess this straight. The mouth piece of the team says Benning isn't fast, quick or strong. So for a dman if you aren't fast, quick or strong, there isn't a hell of a lot left. He's worth keeping because....?

Because he's a Chi guy and there are not a lot of other options right now. He can also translate French to English for the rest of the team while sitting on the bench in Montreal.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725683 is a reply to message #725637 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 12:58 Go to previous message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

.....Friday practice combinations

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-practice-updates-1221/c -303161658

..."Forwards

Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Puljujarvi

Rieder - Draisaitl - Chiasson

Rattie - Caggiula - Spooner

Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian

Defence

Nurse - Larsson

Garrison - Benning

Gravel - Jones

Goaltenders

Koskinen

Talbot

Zykov, Wideman, and Sekera were the extra skaters."...

....hope that second line an spark some offense.....

....a couple random thoughts....
.....Chaisson is a very pleasant surprise, and such a great value for his contract....he is UFA at the end of the season....if he keeps up the pace, can the Oilers afford him next season????....

....haven't heard much since Hitchcock came aboard about any of the assistant coaches....great that Hitchcock is taking all the stress of coaching on himself, but surely the assistants must be doing at least as much as they were under T Mac...

....hope the power play can come to life....the Oilers were absolutely dreadful with the man advantage against St. Louis the other night...

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725626 is a reply to message #725620 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 11:15

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 11:07

Leon is on a 98 pt pace.

#1, who else is there.

Quote:

Quote:

I actually don't think that line has looked that effective recently. They haven't been dominating like they were earlier in the year. It could be Chiasson, it could be fatigue from over-playing those guys, but something likely has to change.

In this morning's practice, it appears that it's Chiasson that Hitchcock elected to change:

Quote:

Bob Stauffer
‏@Bob_Stauffer

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
Caggiula-Brodziak-Kassian
Lucic-Khaira (susp)-Rattie
Spooner likely in for Khaira, Zykov

Also - Lucic practicing on the fourth line...If he skates with Rattie and Spooner, he may set a new low in ice time next game. Does he even get 10 minutes?

Interesting top 2 lines. Drai really really needs a break from the 20+ mins a night. That's one thing I have really questioned HItch on. Somehow Drai's ice time was ending up higher than McDavid, made no sense, there is no way you could expect a big body like Drai to play that much without it degrading his play.

hopefully this leads to some 16-18 min nights for Drai and he can recuperate.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725627 is a reply to message #725620 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Was worried about what would happen to Lucic if he didn't score soon with his new life under Hitch. It's been way too long again, and he seems to be falling back into the dumps. Dude really shoulda worked on stick skills last summer, lol. Not sure what's left to do with him...he so rarely gets into a good spot with the puck, and when he does, he can't execute worth a crap, and being able to put up points seems to still be an obsession for him that links to his ability to put in a full effort. It's only going to get worse...

[Updated on: Thu, 20 December 2018 13:06]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725629 is a reply to message #725627 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 12:57

Was worried about what would happen to Lucic if he didn't score soon with his new life under Hitch. It's been way too long again, and he seems to be falling back into the dumps. Dude really shoulda worked on stick skills last summer, lol. Not sure what's left to do with him...he so rarely gets into a good spot with the puck, and when he does, he can't execute worth a crap, and being able to put up points seems to still be an obsession for him that links to his ability to put in a full effort. It's only going to get worse...

It's okay - there's only 4.5 years left!!! Barring unfortunate allergy to hockey equipment...

Also, I know it's been posted before, but is there any contract in the league better protected from buy-out? What a poison pill...

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/milan-lucic

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725631 is a reply to message #725629 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 14:50

It's okay - there's only 4.5 years left!!! Barring unfortunate allergy to hockey equipment...

Also, I know it's been posted before, but is there any contract in the league better protected from buy-out? What a poison pill...

It's almost like the agent knew.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725632 is a reply to message #725631 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

OH thank god someone reminded us all that Lucic's contract sucks. It's only been made a day or 2 since the last time.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725633 is a reply to message #725632 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 15:26

OH thank god someone reminded us all that Lucic's contract sucks. It's only been made a day or 2 since the last time.

The need to give him that contract has ended up being one of the main reasons we are stuck with an at best wildcard team right now. And it's gonna be a pain in the butt for years to come if we don't find a way to get rid of it.

Every year from here on out that we are not contenders with McDavid should be considered a huge failure by management. Next year is year 5 of the 5 year plan.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725634 is a reply to message #725633 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 15:28

The need to give him that contract has ended up being one of the main reasons we are stuck with an at best wildcard team right now. And it's gonna be a pain in the butt for years to come if we don't find a way to get rid of it.

Every year from here on out that we are not contenders with McDavid should be considered a huge failure by management. Next year is year 5 of the 5 year plan.

Not arguing one bit about it. It's a bad, bad contract and a huge mistake. Just don't think a person needs to hear about it every single day. I'd rather forget and try to focus on the few good things rather than beat down by the bad.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725635 is a reply to message #725634 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 15:35

Not arguing one bit about it. It's a bad, bad contract and a huge mistake. Just don't think a person needs to hear about it every single day. I'd rather forget and try to focus on the few good things rather than beat down by the bad.

Reality is as it is. If you focus on good, while ignoring the bad, one tends to be surprised by how reality manifests. Reals over feels.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725636 is a reply to message #725635 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 15:36

Reality is as it is. If you focus on good, while ignoring the bad, one tends to be surprised by how reality manifests. Reals over feels.

I am not ignoring the bad. It stares me in the face every single time I turn on the game or sit in the stands as soon as #27 jumps over the boards. I just don't feel the need to obsess about it by constantly mentioning it every day. The contract sucks, it will always suck. There is most likely no way he can or will EVER live up to it. It will probably be one of those contracts that get written about as being terrible every time some hockey writer or blogger has nothing else to write about. So it's here and here to stay. So how do they work with it or work around it, that should be the question.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 December 2018 15:55]

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725646 is a reply to message #725636 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 15:52

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 15:36

I am not ignoring the bad. It stares me in the face every single time I turn on the game or sit in the stands as soon as #27 jumps over the boards. I just don't feel the need to obsess about it by constantly mentioning it every day. The contract sucks, it will always suck. There is most likely no way he can or will EVER live up to it. It will probably be one of those contracts that get written about as being terrible every time some hockey writer or blogger has nothing else to write about. So it's here and here to stay. So how do they work with it or work around it, that should be the question.

I think it was only brought up in a funny way on this thread though :)

I was mainly just trying to focus on Lucic. If he's staying, he needs to accept he is just a 4th line level contributor now and keep bringing the kind of effort level that a really good 4th liner brings. He should watch Ryan Reaves highlights. That guy is trying to take heads off every shift. He gets in everyone face and somehow is able to produce pretty decently too because the guy is 100% engaged every game and tries to physically dominate everyone. Seriously, if Lucic tried to act like that, fans would probably love him, even if he only gets 10 goals a year. But I think he still thinks he is embarrassing himself by not putting up 50+ points and that eats away at everything he is able to do for the team.

Oh, and his contract SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure you knew that icon_biggrin

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725647 is a reply to message #725629 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Can we please stop dwelling on that pesky stuff that happened before this season?

18/19 baby. Year of the Pete.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725649 is a reply to message #725647 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 19:42

Can we please stop dwelling on that pesky stuff that happened before this season?

18/19 baby. Year of the Pete.

Can we also stop dwelling on the non-Koskinen stuff he's done this year? Because no one wants to hear about Garrison, Spooner, Zykov or Wideman any more...

FWIW, I regularly forget Wideman is an Oiler...

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725638 is a reply to message #725620 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

At least Hitch doesn't feel the need to sugar coat it and is playing him in a spot where his few minutes a game might be a bit effective. Luc is very good anchor for the team and he is beginning to recognize that.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725639 is a reply to message #725638 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 16:02

At least Hitch doesn't feel the need to sugar coat it and is playing him in a spot where his few minutes a game might be a bit effective. Luc is very good anchor for the team and he is beginning to recognize that.

I agree. Lucic is being paid as a top 6 player but he isn't and probably won't again produce like a top 6 player. So you can either keep throwing him out there in a top 6 role and get nothing for it or you can accept what he is, work around it and get something. If all you can get out of him is 40% of the value of his contract in a bottom 6 role, well 40% of his contract value is better than ZERO. Doesn't change the fact it sucks. Does change the fact it shouldn't be like that. It doesn't change the fact that it was a big mistake. But at least find a way to get something.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725640 is a reply to message #725639 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 16:19

I agree. Lucic is being paid as a top 6 player but he isn't and probably won't again produce like a top 6 player. So you can either keep throwing him out there in a top 6 role and get nothing for it or you can accept what he is, work around it and get something. If all you can get out of him is 40% of the value of his contract in a bottom 6 role, well 40% of his contract value is better than ZERO. Doesn't change the fact it sucks. Does change the fact it shouldn't be like that. It doesn't change the fact that it was a big mistake. But at least find a way to get something.

40% is $2.4MM - that's still an awful lot for a 4th liner! With 2-13-15 in his last 81 games, Lucic is probably ideally a ~$700,000-$900,000/year guy.

However, the point still stands. He is what he is. He's unlikely to get better, and we're better off having an effective 4th liner there than dragging down the first couple of lines by putting that boat anchor out with them...

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725648 is a reply to message #725640 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 15:25

40% is $2.4MM - that's still an awful lot for a 4th liner! With 2-13-15 in his last 81 games, Lucic is probably ideally a ~$700,000-$900,000/year guy.

However, the point still stands. He is what he is. He's unlikely to get better, and we're better off having an effective 4th liner there than dragging down the first couple of lines by putting that boat anchor out with them...

I think Looch will earn his money in the playoffs. We just gotta keep him in the bottom six until then and hope MVP McDavid drags us into said playoffs.

What is the alternative? Trade him and two first rounders to the Coyotes for a pumpkin pie? That's literally what it would take and Looch aint waiving the no trade for that!

I remember posing the question on here a while back if you'd trade Milan for Kovalchuck. L.A. might be the one place Milan would waive his no trade for. Back close beside his beloved ocean.

On an unrelated note, I believe those Arizona Coyotes will be playing in Houston in the future.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35) [message #725650 is a reply to message #725648 ]
Thu, 20 December 2018 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Xombie wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 20:17

Adam wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 15:25

I think Looch will earn his money in the playoffs. We just gotta keep him in the bottom six until then and hope MVP McDavid drags us into said playoffs.

What is the alternative? Trade him and two first rounders to the Coyotes for a pumpkin pie? That's literally what it would take and Looch aint waiving the no trade for that!

I remember posing the question on here a while back if you'd trade Milan for Kovalchuck. L.A. might be the one place Milan would waive his no trade for. Back close beside his beloved ocean.

On an unrelated note, I believe those Arizona Coyotes will be playing in Houston in the future.

Kovalchuk's deal runs only two more years after this at $6.75MM per season. Also completely buyout protected, but for half as long. He's scored 5-9-14 in 25 games compared to Lucic's 1-6-7 in 35 games.

If I was GM and LA suggested that trade, I could not say yes soon enough.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Khaira has disciplinary hearing; suspended 2 games
Next Topic:GDT: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #35)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca