F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Players & Negative FeedbackPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724760]
Wed, 12 December 2018 10:23 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

With the Ference news, I've been thinking it would be interesting to compile a list of the things said by former players ripping the organization. It's such a rare thing in hockey for players to be critical of a team that they've just left, but it's happened so often with the Oilers - it would be amazing to compile all of it. Ideally they'd all be sourced, but it's happened for so long, it may be hard to find some of it online now.

Here's a few that come to mind:

Mike Comrie - "It's like communism there." AND "Half the reason they boo you is that they take it personally. They're passionate and they pay their money and buy tickets. But to be honest, it's a lot of propaganda in Edmonton."

Patrick Thoresen - "They only care about their first round picks."

Todd Marchant - Sparred with Lowe and MacTavish through the media on his way out of town.

Jason Chimera - Bristled about the team and his treatment here.

Nick Schultz - made some twitter comments, his brother made a bunch more about the culture of the Oilers in his time here.

Eric Belanger - has made several twitter comments about the Oilers, usually receiving a barrage of hate tweets back from Oilers fans. https://oilonwhyte.com/2016/06/02/edmonton-oilers-eric-belan ger-lashes-out-at-former-team/ Said "it's a graveyard for players."

Patrick O'Sullivan - always grouchy, but has said many things about the organization and how little support he felt here.

Gilbert Brule - I believe he mentioned that the Oilers didn't give him a lot of support when he was going through whatever he was going through.

Tom Gilbert - Expressed satisfaction and relief to be traded from the Oilers.

Ladi Smid - Took a shot at Eakins-run practices

Ilya Bryzgalov - Took a shot at Eakins-run practices

Ales Hemsky - Took a shot at Eakins-run practices

Johann Auvitu - Worst experience in pro hockey. No communication from coaches and management.

Iiro Pakarinen - No communication from coaches.

Sheldon Souray - Team pressured him to play hurt, there was zero communication from management beyond that.

Pat Quinn - Team did not communicate that they were "promoting him" out of the coach position. Team rushed Sam Gagner, losing Schremp on waivers when not necessary (and despite coach's wishes based on training camp performance).

Tom Renney - Team encouraged him to play the kids, even when he was worried about the possibility of injury from over-play to "sell hope."

Andrew Ference - Team doesn't have players backs. Kids ran wild, with no consequence. People made fun of for hard work in practice.

I'm sure I've missed a few...what else is there?

It would be great to have more links, but it's very difficult to find these - even the Cult of Hockey breakdown where David Staples dismisses all the former player's concerns as sour grapes don't seem to be showing up on Google for many of these.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724762 is a reply to message #724760 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

1 Cup

I would love to see the quotes, I will try digging. If a media member or two saw them all laid out, would not be the worst thing.

I believe Ryan Jones said some unflattering things, Dubnyk took a shot at the practices, and Ryan Whitney complaints are frequent in his podcast Spittin Chiclets.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724764 is a reply to message #724762 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 10:38

I would love to see the quotes, I will try digging. If a media member or two saw them all laid out, would not be the worst thing.

I believe Ryan Jones said some unflattering things, Dubnyk took a shot at the practices, and Ryan Whitney complaints are frequent in his podcast Spittin Chiclets.

Oh yes - how did I forget Whitney! He said that the team told him no matter what he did or how he played, he'd only be a third pairing d-man, because they were giving Schultz (the unproved rookie) first pairing and first PP.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724770 is a reply to message #724764 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

1 Cup

Not sure if he said anything himself, but when Ralph Krueger was dismissed via Skype, it certainly brought negative comments from the sports media community.

Also, I can't recall the name right now, but which player was announced as traded/signed to Edm and then only hours after the trade deadline was announced he refused to and ended up signing elsewhere? I think this would have been around 2008?

Visual Win > Moral Win > Strong Effort with signs of improvement > Actual Win

December 15th, 2014: REBUILD #4 OFFICIALLY BEGINS!

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724774 is a reply to message #724770 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilerPunch  is currently offline OilerPunch

No Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 10:19

Not sure if he said anything himself, but when Ralph Krueger was dismissed via Skype, it certainly brought negative comments from the sports media community.

Also, I can't recall the name right now, but which player was announced as traded/signed to Edm and then only hours after the trade deadline was announced he refused to and ended up signing elsewhere? I think this would have been around 2008?

Nylander wasn't it? His wife didn't want to come here. Also What about Pronger!

I feel gross even writing that name

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724778 is a reply to message #724774 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/oilers-cry-foul-over-nyland er-signing-1.662061[/http]

Yes you are correct. Michael Nylander. His agent signed the contract but the player did not.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724771 is a reply to message #724764 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

4 Cups

Why is it that pretty much all the players who "trashed" the Oilers were all the ones that grossly under performed on their contract or were traded here and weren't even close to the same player? Has management made mistakes? Yes they have. Being in Edmonton, I think just based on where they are in the world, they have a disadvantage. So as a management team, they have to be that much better than the rest in my opinion. The fan base can be extremely hard on the players at times because they are so invested in the team. The Oilers are everything to Edmonton and it's fans. But at the same time while fans are ready to pounce on a player for the bad, if a player does the smallest good, this fan base will treat them like a god.

I don't hear the players complaining much about all the big time perks they get because they are in Edmonton or an Oiler or all the god like love they get from the fans when they do even the smallest thing good. Funny how that is.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724776 is a reply to message #724771 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Winnipeg is in the same if not worse situation, yet they achieve success and rarely have players trashing them like the Oilers do.

Or how about Detroit, which is a pretty ugly city by all accounts (or was and is on the mend). No issues there.

But arguably the biggest argument against this is that from 79-2003, this really wasn't an issue. In fact, players loved Edmonton, loved the team, and absolutely loved the fans. To me, it's obvious that at that point a negative culture change started to occur. I'm not so sure some of it doesn't still exist as well.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724779 is a reply to message #724776 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 11:27

Winnipeg is in the same if not worse situation, yet they achieve success and rarely have players trashing them like the Oilers do.

Or how about Detroit, which is a pretty ugly city by all accounts (or was and is on the mend). No issues there.

But arguably the biggest argument against this is that from 79-2003, this really wasn't an issue. In fact, players loved Edmonton, loved the team, and absolutely loved the fans. To me, it's obvious that at that point a negative culture change started to occur. I'm not so sure some of it doesn't still exist as well.

Edmonton and Winnipeg have been different in my opinion. The Jets have built and built and built through the draft. They stock piled picks in Atlanta when they are crap. They came to Winnipeg and stock piled more prospects. They haven't traded for or brought in a lot of UFA's over years. If you look at the HUGE majority of the players listed above who had beefs, they are people who were traded for or signed. I also think that the Jets physically leaving the City for a long time and them coming back has helped. They were crappy for years and years in Atlanta, then they come to Winnipeg and everyone is just happy they have an NHL team again which allowed them to be crappy for awhile again. When you have a fan base not screaming to be better daily, you can sit and wait for guys to develop and there isn't the pressure to make a splash that can blow up in your face.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724783 is a reply to message #724779 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Dany Heatley refused to be traded here for Penner, Cogliano, Smid.

Chris Pronger threw some bombs after he left.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724787 is a reply to message #724783 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

nullterm wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 10:49

Dany Heatley refused to be traded here for Penner, Cogliano, Smid.

Chris Pronger threw some bombs after he left.

I don't recall Heatley ever saying anything (publicly at least) negative towards the Oilers or Edmonton. He simply didn't want to waive his NTC to go to Edmonton. He negotiated that right, and exercised it. Hard to fault the guy for that. I know I was pissed off at him at the time, but looking back... seems silly to be mad at a guy for not doing something he had no obligation to do.

Pronger.... That's a tough one.... I was sooooo mad at the time, and honestly, it de-railed the franchise for years. Even to this day, he's never been replaced. Not sure if he spouted off publicly though did he? Either way, his actions said more than enough. Dam I miss him on the blue line.

This thread is a fun/painful trip down memory lane. As damning as a lot of these comments were/are there were also a lot of people saying great things about the org on their way out. Maroon comes to mind, also back in the day there was Doug Weight and Ryan Smyth shedding tears over leaving. Curtis Joeseph didn't want to go, Janne Niinimaa was pissed when he got traded. And even though Taylor Hall has got his licks in, initially he was upset and felt slighted by the trade.

There's obviously some truth in all of the comments from past players, but keep in mind they're giving you one side of a story that they know the org will never provide the other side of. You also have to consider their motives. In the case of Bellanger, he's spouting off on Twitter while trying to build up his own notoriety as a media personality. Seems like he has a clear agenda and motive to stir the pot. Am I saying he's lying, no. But I also think he may not know as much as he thinks he does.

I like to build stuff & things.
https://www.somethingedgy.ca/
I make music too.
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/undermaker442/inexplicable

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724785 is a reply to message #724779 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 11:36

bigEfromGP wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 11:27

Edmonton and Winnipeg have been different in my opinion. The Jets have built and built and built through the draft. They stock piled picks in Atlanta when they are crap. They came to Winnipeg and stock piled more prospects. They haven't traded for or brought in a lot of UFA's over years. If you look at the HUGE majority of the players listed above who had beefs, they are people who were traded for or signed. I also think that the Jets physically leaving the City for a long time and them coming back has helped. They were crappy for years and years in Atlanta, then they come to Winnipeg and everyone is just happy they have an NHL team again which allowed them to be crappy for awhile again. When you have a fan base not screaming to be better daily, you can sit and wait for guys to develop and there isn't the pressure to make a splash that can blow up in your face.

If management keeps bringing in players who fail to live up to expectations or contracts, then that's on management. If it's a one off, that can be put on the player, but when it's repeated time and time again, that's on management.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724854 is a reply to message #724771 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 11:21

But at the same time while fans are ready to pounce on a player for the bad, if a player does the smallest good, this fan base will treat them like a god.

Given the feedback the last day, I think Andrew Ference would beg to differ.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724772 is a reply to message #724760 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

- Anton Belov did not like Eakins.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/anton-belov-left-edmonto n-oilers-in-part-due-to-coach-dallas-eakins/

Quote:

“[SKA hiring coach Vyacheslav Bykov] was also an influence. The other point is that I could have re-signed with Edmonton, but I didn’t want to stay with that coach [Eakins].”

- Taylor Hall on talking to coaches, accountability in Edmonton.

https://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2018/02/why_taylor_hall_ feels_held_more_accountable_with_d.html

Quote:

"He's probably given me the most accountability that any coach I had in Edmonton," Hall said. "I really think that's been good for me personally. Just in Edmonton, I really didn't want to talk to coaches. I didn't really want to have dialogue with coaches. I just wanted to play. And a lot of guys are like that."

- Ladislav Smid on Edmonton vs. Calgary

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/smid-adjusts-to-tough-pr actices-in-calgary/

Quote:

The Flames (6-9-2) are 13th in the Western Conference, four points ahead of the Oilers (4-12-2), who are last. Edmonton is tied for second-last overall, ahead of only the Buffalo Sabres.

"It was frustrating this year and the last few years to be honest with you," Smid said. "Everyone was talking about the rebuild but it seemed like every year, we were in last spot right off the bat and it was kind of frustrating at the end."

"I’ve seen Calgary play this year and that’s their identity, they work hard, they never quit, and that’s what I like and I’m really excited to be part of the Flames now,"

- Devan Dubnyk post-Oilers reflection. I couldn't find much, but did find this:

https://www.tsn.ca/career-salvation-for-dubnyk-did-not-come- easy-1.625716

Quote:

The seeds of that pivotal 2013-14 season were planted at the June 2013 draft in New Jersey when word leaked that the Oilers were trying to acquire Cory Schneider from the rival Vancouver Canucks (which McTavish confirms). Schneider would end up being traded to the New Jersey Devils instead that weekend, but the psychological damage had been done for Dubnyk, who was entering the final year of his contract.

"It was disappointing, for sure," Dubnyk said. "With MacT coming in as a new GM, he's the boss, and he needs to build the team as he sees fit. Cory Schneider is a world-class goalie, so it's not like he's out there trying to get some bum to replace me. But I was disappointed because I felt I had shown in the previous year, it was my best season, I had a .920 [save percentage], I didn't understand where it was coming from."

- Eric Belanger and his Twitter Tirade. I tried to condense this but there is a lot of good stuff.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /former-edmonton-player-eric-belanger-get-his-shots-in-on-oi lers-but-misses-mark

Quote:

@belly2020: I don’t think Justin Schultz is missing The Oilers right now. Playing for the Stanley cup. Good luck great kid

@belly2020: Don’t worry about the checks but look at the rest of my career. It’s graveyard for players. I didn’t wanna believe it.

@MesaMoe: good for him. But If you think he wasn’t at fault too then you are not being honest. Or never watched him play.

@belly2020: I did and played with him. And it was the same for me wasn’t good enough but there was so much more stuff.

@oilersrule05 I’ll take the word of players like Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Fuhr and Weight over any speacialist player.

@belly2020: Here we go the 80s again.

‏@parrypannu89: I’m sure you helped the situation with your great veteran presence around the young guys! #Classy #Vet

@belly2020: I tried and all the other veterans to. But the kids did everything they want. I guess it worked out.

@mikebenzino: As Oiler fans we thought you would bring us back to the glory days, sorry didn’t work out, don’t be mad our expectations are high

‏@belly2020
: They should be. And i hope they will have success soon after 9 years out of the playoffs. They need major change.

@oilersrule05: also we don’t need big name free agents to go there. We need solid role players to help out the kids we have

‏@belly2020
: That’s why i was brought in but was never given the chance to do it. That’s why i have a problem.

Will keep digging.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 December 2018 12:54]

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724775 is a reply to message #724772 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

I don't think too many people liked Eakins except for his boy Ference. Oilers management has made plenty of mistakes, hiring Eakins in my opinion was one of the biggest.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724786 is a reply to message #724760 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
George  is currently offline George

No Cups

I can't remember exactly what was said, but I remember things got ugly with Ethan Moreau during his final season here.

Jay Bouwmeester was also pretty candid about not wanting to sign here as an UFA.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724792 is a reply to message #724786 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
George  is currently offline George

No Cups

Also remembered:

There was an Oilers player who, when he arrived, was directed by the team to a home way outside the city and far from any other players which he said left him feeling very isolated. His wife felt even more stranded and really didn't like her time in Edmonton. I think it was Visnovsky.

Also, didn't Puljujarvi mention he wasn't given English lessons, or wasn't provided with a translator, or something to that effect.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724788 is a reply to message #724760 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

- Patrick O'Sullivan on asking for support for his mental health issues.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2529880/edmonton-oilers-respond-t o-comments-from-former-player-patrick-osullivan/

Quote:

“When I was in Edmonton, I asked for help from the team and I got nothing in return,” O’Sullivan said.

- Sheldon Souray after requesting a trade:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /souray-wants-a-trade-well-maybe-he-shouldnt-have-been-so-re ckless

Quote:

Souray blamed Oilers management for his desire to leave town: “It’s not a players thing. It’s not a fans thing or a city thing. It’s a management thing. They’ve given up on me, and it’s a two-way street. … Management has soured on me, and I’ve soured on them.”

Souray complained that when he arrived in Edmonton, management pressured him to play even though he was still nursing a shoulder injury.

“I go out, play six games, and I get hurt,” he told Spector.

Souray’s biggest blast: “I’ve had the experience of playing in great organizations (in New Jersey and Montreal), and experienced a vastly different approach to things like that. I was a captain in Montreal. I never had my character questioned there, or in New Jersey. I feel that’s all I’ve had since I’ve been here.”

- Tom Renney and the directive to sell hope

https://www.coppernblue.com/2014/10/31/7140267/tom-renneys-i njury-revelations-the-oilers-rub-some-dirt-in-it

Quote:

"I’ve already lost a job because of my values. In Edmonton, I was asked to play young players more who had recently undergone operations. I reduced their ice time ", he says. "But they had to play because they were very good and we were selling hope. But I acted according to my conscience."

- Ryan Whitney on being told he can't elevate his role. Pairs nicely with the Renney "selling hope" quote above.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-oilers /Ryan+Whitney+days+Edmonton+Oiler+over/8307684/story.html

Quote:

“This year, I was pegged in a spot as a fifth or sixth defenceman, battling to stay there ... at some point it didn’t matter because I knew I wasn’t getting higher,” said Whitney. “First meeting with Ralph (head coach Krueger) before the season, I was told I was in the bottom pair. It was set in stone. I got scratched a game against Vancouver, came back and played against Colorado and Ralph talked about a new start for me. I was with Jeff Petry, but for one period. I’d never mention a player’s name, but there were other players who could have been scratched at times, but never were.”

[Updated on: Wed, 12 December 2018 12:57]

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724791 is a reply to message #724760 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

- Pat Quinn on a lack of communication from management in regards to his planned "promotion"

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/pat-quinn-surprised-b y-oilers-decision-to-bump-him-from-bench-to-front-office

Quote:

“Any good management group has a succession plan,” Quinn said. “I’m aware of the fact that there should be a plan in place. As far as whether or not they told Tom he was going to be the next head coach, I don’t have any knowledge of that."

- Yohann Auvitu on communication with coaching staff (McLellan era)

Kr55 will have to be the source on this one. Can't find a link.
http://oilfans.com/forum/index.php?t=nested&goto=719848& amp; amp; amp; amp;rid=4228&SQ=24c1e2fa2a5e701841890e7bee1fd3cb#msg_719 848

Quote:

"I could never gain the coaches trust, and I still don't know why. I sat at the press box whether I played good or bad. I wasn't told much about the situation.
I would never go back there. I've seen what it's like there and I'm never going back."

- Liro Pakarinen on communication with coaching staff/management (McLellan era)

https://oilersnation.com/2018/11/11/former-edmonton-oiler-ii ro-pakarinen-blasts-organization-for-lack-of-communication/

Quote:

They don’t say anything or talk to you about why you’re not playing. At least the Oilers never did. That’s what annoyed me the most.

Coach never gives you a reason or reasons. You have to figure it out why you’re sitting in the press box by yourself. Also, in general, the coach and GM talked to us very little. It’s almost like they have some top secret information. I think it’s unfathomable.

- Andrew Ference and his recent comments on Oilers culture during his time

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/andrew-ference-suggests-oil ers-party-culture-wasted-final-seasons-155913084.html

Quote:

“You had a group of players that talked about how they wanted to make the playoffs, and talked about how sick they were of losing, and then by Game No. 3 after losing 6-1, they’re straight out to the bar to three in the morning, lighting up the night life scene in Edmonton,” Ference said.

"We had some other guys who had been on the playoff teams and they had the same frustration. They’d come and practice hard and there was a group of guys there that had like, it was too cool to try hard."

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /andrew-ference-rips-terrible-practice-habits-party-atmosphe re-of-2013-15-edmonton-oilers

Quote:

“I think that the quickness that radio or newspaper or fans jump and attack their own guys is horrible. I think that the (lack of) quickness to defend players within the organization. I remember Jeff Petry or Schultz getting raked over the coals and nobody coming to defend them and just trading them after they’ve beaten them down for months, then trading them. It’s like, ‘God.’ It’s not just for those guys but it’s for other guys on the team, you’re looking at it and saying, ‘They don’t have his back. Are they going to have mine when it’s my turn to be the whipping boy?’”

Well that is 12 or so sourced quotes from varying eras of the Oilers. Dysfunction is rampant, but here we are with Kevin Lowe, MacTavish, Howson and friends overseeing it all.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 December 2018 13:02]

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724793 is a reply to message #724791 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Auvitu article:

https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli/kahdeksan-kautta-suomess a-pelannut-tahtipuolustaja-loysi-nhl-ssa-kadonneen-peli-ilon sa-khl-sta-en-menisi-enaa-ikina-takaisin/7097714#gs.Mj59tE8

Using the power of google translate:

Quote:

The two former French defenders went to North America, where he represented New Jersey Devils and Edmonton Oilers. Auvitu played 58 NHL matches in two seasons with 5 + 8. In the Devils FIFA team at AHL, the games were 29.

Last spring, however, Auvitu decided that now it is enough.

- I never got the coaches' trust on my side, and I do not know why. I sat in the courtroom, then playing well or badly. I did not know much about the situation, the French told MTV Sport.

- I do not see hockey or want to play that way.

The defender told the NHL goodbyes and experiments at the end of the season are over. Auvitu would not return to North America, even if it were possible.

- No, I would never go back there. I've seen what it's like, I do not go back ever again. That was it.

Think when I posted it was actually a translation from someone that would properly read the article.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 December 2018 13:08]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724798 is a reply to message #724760 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

This is all a little silly. Of course the guys that didn't do well here are going to not be happy with their time here. It's natural to shift blame to teammates or coaches or management, because the only other person to blame is yourself, and few people want to do that.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724801 is a reply to message #724798 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

It would be less concerning if:

1) The Oilers weren't on a run of 12 missed playoff appearances in the last 13 years.
2) There wasn't sooooooo many. From coaches, to marginal NHLers, to captains.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724806 is a reply to message #724798 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 14:06

This is all a little silly. Of course the guys that didn't do well here are going to not be happy with their time here. It's natural to shift blame to teammates or coaches or management, because the only other person to blame is yourself, and few people want to do that.

The fact is, hockey players RARELY comment negatively on where they were. There's been a lot of players who have with the Oilers. It's jarring because it happens so often here.

Which is more likely - that the Oilers have just been really unlucky with a tonne of young players who just love the lifestyle more than winning, in a couple different generations in a row - or that the Oilers model for developing kids has been flawed?

Which is more likely - that the Oilers just have had more than their fair share of bitter old men players who want to vent about their team, even though there's nothing much wrong there - or that there's smoke behind all that fire and the management team really DOES suck?

I'm curious, NetBOG, since you seem to often pour cold water on the suggestion that there's culture or leadership issues within the organization - do you think that Lowe, MacTavish, Howson, Nicholson, Chiarelli and the Gretzkys are doing a good job? Do you think that they are who you'd ideally have running this team if you were able to start from scratch?

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724817 is a reply to message #724798 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 14:06

Souray did quite well here prior to his injuries. As did Whitney. And Comrie. Smid was a serviceable NHL Dman. Lots of holes in this theory.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724804 is a reply to message #724760 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Lots of complaints, but they consistently point to a few things:

- management doesn't communicate with players. About anything. Ever. The coaching staff is the only relationship the players have with the team. There also doesn't appear to be any sort of sympathy with players that have off-ice issues. Players need to figure it out on their own.

- Eakins was a bad coach. I find it curious that Hall supported him, there's something off about that.

- McClellan was a bad communicator.

Poor communication seems to be a theme. Coach Hitchcock (a good communicator) may be exactly what this team needs.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724807 is a reply to message #724804 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Steve wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 14:26

- management doesn't communicate with players. About anything. Ever. The coaching staff is the only relationship the players have with the team. There also doesn't appear to be any sort of sympathy with players that have off-ice issues. Players need to figure it out on their own.

- Eakins was a bad coach. I find it curious that Hall supported him, there's something off about that.

Poor communication seems to be a theme. Coach Hitchcock (a good communicator) may be exactly what this team needs.

I agree with you about Hitch. He seems to communicate very well. He may be a task master which wears on players but seems like most guys know exactly what to expect, what their role is and what they need to do. I hope it continues.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724808 is a reply to message #724804 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I always wonder if they didn't tell Hall he needed to go out and chat with Rishaug to show support for Eakins. They may have told him if he wanted to be seen as a leader, he had to tow the company line...

It was such a weird, awkward interview.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724813 is a reply to message #724808 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 13:32

I always wonder if they didn't tell Hall he needed to go out and chat with Rishaug to show support for Eakins. They may have told him if he wanted to be seen as a leader, he had to tow the company line...

I think awkward is a good way to describe the entire Eakins era.

One thing I would like to say about Eakins as a coach (even though off topic). Everyone is fairly quick to paint the guy as a "bad coach" period. The guy clearly knows how to coach, you don't get where he's got being simply bad. If that was the case he wouldn't have a job coaching at a professional level. If the Oilers didn't hire him that summer, some other team was going to. Maybe he would have failed there too, maybe not. If the Penguins had hired him, maybe he would have succeeded in the NHL and "bad coach" wouldn't be his label. Fact is, he was clearly the wrong coach at the wrong time for the Oilers. If there was ever a time to hire a rookie NHL coach, that was not it. That falls 100% on MacT and anyone else that supported the decision. Eakins failed and was fired. He likely learned from the experience and is most likely a better coach today as a result. I actually hope he gets another NHL shot, and does well. I know it's fun to make fun of and blame Eakins, but ultimately that was all on MacT. And MacT was all on Lowe, etc. Of course, they couldn't be fired because.... well see every other thread on the forum.

I like to build stuff & things.
https://www.somethingedgy.ca/
I make music too.
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/undermaker442/inexplicable

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724818 is a reply to message #724813 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

jds308 wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 15:03

Adam wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 13:32

I think awkward is a good way to describe the entire Eakins era.

One thing I would like to say about Eakins as a coach (even though off topic). Everyone is fairly quick to paint the guy as a "bad coach" period. The guy clearly knows how to coach, you don't get where he's got being simply bad. If that was the case he wouldn't have a job coaching at a professional level. If the Oilers didn't hire him that summer, some other team was going to. Maybe he would have failed there too, maybe not. If the Penguins had hired him, maybe he would have succeeded in the NHL and "bad coach" wouldn't be his label. Fact is, he was clearly the wrong coach at the wrong time for the Oilers. If there was ever a time to hire a rookie NHL coach, that was not it. That falls 100% on MacT and anyone else that supported the decision. Eakins failed and was fired. He likely learned from the experience and is most likely a better coach today as a result. I actually hope he gets another NHL shot, and does well. I know it's fun to make fun of and blame Eakins, but ultimately that was all on MacT. And MacT was all on Lowe, etc. Of course, they couldn't be fired because.... well see every other thread on the forum.

The issue with Eakins was he wasn't necessarily a bad coach in that he has no clue how to coach pro hockey, he just wasn't ready to be an NHL head coach. He seemed to worry about things that weren't important. I listened to Strudwick, who's still friends with current and former Oilers who were there under Eakins yesterday and apparently he sent every player a letter telling them about fitness and how they are going to be the most fit team. You send pro athlete’s a letter about being fit. This isn't the 80's were camp was for getting into shape. These guys are in shape all year long. It was just stupid.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 December 2018 15:32]

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724847 is a reply to message #724818 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 18:29

I listened to Strudwick, who's still friends with current and former Oilers who were there under Eakins yesterday and apparently he sent every player a letter telling them about fitness and how they are going to be the most fit team. You send pro athlete’s a letter about being fit. This isn't the 80's were camp was for getting into shape. These guys are in shape all year long. It was just stupid.

This made me think of a story I read a few years ago about the All Blacks attending one of Gordon Tietjen's (NZ rugby 7's team coach) training sessions.

The All Blacks are the rugby world cup champions. Have been the team to beat in the rugby world forever. They are in shape and crazy fit.

Sevens is just a brutal game. Sure, the halves are only 7 mins long, but the 14 mins of the game you're sprinting, tackling etc nearly non-stop. I was good at it, but man I'd be gassed by the end of a game.

Anyway, the AB's attended a training session with Tietj. They were puking their guts out by the end. World cup champs, athletes in their prime, and they were a blubbering mess at the end.

There's fit, and then there's FIT. I got the feeling that Eakins was from the school of Tietjens fitness coaching. Didn't make a lick of difference with the lack of talent / insane swarm D "system" that Eakins tried to implement though.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724812 is a reply to message #724760 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

2 Cups

Didn't Scrivens throw shade at the org too?? And it's clearly not changed much since Chiarelli's arrival with Auvitu's comments.

Also. Apologies on putting a positive in this thread, but;

What about what Chiarelli, and the Oilers, did for Zack Kassian? Can't forget that amongst the pile o' turd that's been laid out in this thread.

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724816 is a reply to message #724812 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 14:57

Didn't Scrivens throw shade at the org too?? And it's clearly not changed much since Chiarelli's arrival with Auvitu's comments.

Also. Apologies on putting a positive in this thread, but;

What about what Chiarelli, and the Oilers, did for Zack Kassian? Can't forget that amongst the pile o' turd that's been laid out in this thread.

I would argue that buying low on a player who has turned things around is not the same as supporting them through their troubles.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724830 is a reply to message #724760 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

Is the point of this thread to contrast what things have been like with this org throughout the years compared to how it is now with Hitch at the helm?

I've been as critical as anyone when things have gone wrong for this team, but right now things are going very right, so I don't get what the point is of bringing this up now of all times, seriously.

If the point is to just remind fans to stay sober because the rug could be pulled out from under us at any moment, save the effort. All of us here know better than to just jump onto the bandwagon wholeheartedly. Even now, I half-expect this all to come crashing down and would still like to see Chia canned, not to mention see all traces of the OBC completely purged from the organization.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 December 2018 16:31]

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724832 is a reply to message #724830 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 16:24

Is the point of this thread to contrast what things have been like with this org throughout the years compared to how it is now with Hitch at the helm?

I've been as critical as anyone when things have gone wrong for this team, but right now things are going very right, so I don't get what the point is of bringing this up now of all times, seriously.

If the point is to just remind fans to stay sober because the rug could be pulled out from under us at any moment, save the effort. All of us here know better than to just jump onto the bandwagon wholeheartedly. Even now, I half-expect this all to come crashing down and would still like to see Chia canned.

There's a couple reasons I started the thread:

1) It's topical, given the Ference interview Monday.

2) I don't think we should be blinded by temporary success. The team has been a tire fire under this management team, and they don't deserve the chance to try to lead us out of the woods - and they're more likely than your average guy on the street to just get us further lost in the woods and eaten by a bear (again).

The constant distraction technique the organization uses is seizing on any slim glimmer of success and using that as their life raft. The Edmonton media is all too happy to push those narratives for them too. Look no further to how often they're praising Chiarelli for Koskinen right now...

The organization is hoping that some tiny modicum of success is all that they need to keep the villagers from getting restles...and then maybe this summer they don't have to fire one of the SuperFriends...

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724844 is a reply to message #724832 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 16:36

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 16:24

If the point is to just remind fans to stay sober because the rug could be pulled out from under us at any moment, save the effort. All of us here know better than to just jump onto the bandwagon wholeheartedly. Even now, I half-expect this all to come crashing down and would still like to see Chia canned.

There's a couple reasons I started the thread:

1) It's topical, given the Ference interview Monday.

2) I don't think we should be blinded by temporary success. The team has been a tire fire under this management team, and they don't deserve the chance to try to lead us out of the woods - and they're more likely than your average guy on the street to just get us further lost in the woods and eaten by a bear (again).

The constant distraction technique the organization uses is seizing on any slim glimmer of success and using that as their life raft. The Edmonton media is all too happy to push those narratives for them too. Look no further to how often they're praising Chiarelli for Koskinen right now...

The organization is hoping that some tiny modicum of success is all that they need to keep the villagers from getting restles...and then maybe this summer they don't have to fire one of the SuperFriends...

True, but aren’t modicums already tiny?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724849 is a reply to message #724832 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 16:36

It's a paradox- on the one hand, if the Oil suck and miss out on the playoffs for a 2nd straight season after the promise (or more accurately illusion) of 2016-17, perhaps this will FINALLY motivate them to clean out the OBC along with Chia and bring someone in who can fix this mess. It would be short-term pain for the possibility of long-term pain.

On the other hand, if Hitch can in fact turn this team around, and Chia manages to pull off a major trade that actually helps the team both short- and long-term, then he is sticking around. Chia may even be able to argue that TMac wasn't really his choice to be HC when he first arrived.

Here's the thing: the future is too nebulous to hope that the team could actually do the right thing if they were to tank again this year, IMO. Therefore, my thought is that the better bet is to hope that Hitch does in fact make this team into a real threat. Is it potentially another case of smoking the hopium? Of course. However, Hitch has IMO already demonstrated that he knows more about coaching young players than TMac did, and he is also much more solid in his defensive schemes/tactics. It's not an accident that the Oil's GA total has gone down since he's taken over, and he's doing it with the same D that was more porous than Swiss cheese under TMac.

No one on this site has really shown any signs of being a happy lotus-eater as a result of the Oil's current run. Just chill and enjoy it while it lasts, because worrying about what could happen at or near the end of this season is just a good way to cut years off your lifespan.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724850 is a reply to message #724849 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

I can't believe no one mentioned Yakupov or his agent Igor Larionov blasting the Oilers.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724840 is a reply to message #724760 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

3 Cups

I don't know, in a fan base as connected to and invested in the Oilers as we are, you're going to get those who just are almost eager to read all the dish from former players/coaches/management/media....and you're going to get those who think this is all kind of embarrassing...pulling back the curtain to reveal the salacious history....and not interested.

I think I'm firmly in the latter group, it's like learning embarrassing gossip about a relative or long term friend from people who've been dumped or wronged somehow..

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #724860 is a reply to message #724760 ]
Thu, 13 December 2018 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
twilson1111  is currently offline twilson1111

No Cups

Thanks for compiling all of these. When seen together, these experiences drive home that the management culture itself is rotten in the Oilers.

If this clutch of bad reviews was on Glassdoor.com for a company, you’d be pretty clearly putting blame on upper management for not rectifying the core culture issue, and to a lesser extent middle/lower management given that they complicitly work with a no-win situation.

Even at a good company like the one I work at, you get occasional salty bad reviews from disgruntled employees,but this is a regular pattern. Someone at the top is asleep at the switch for not responding to this. I guess that’s Katz or the next in line in the power hierarchy.

Re: Oilers Players & Negative Feedback [message #727130 is a reply to message #724860 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Resurrecting this topic after comments from Caggiula today also not necessarily painting the Oilers org in the most favourable light:

Quote:

“I think I was maybe walking on eggshells trying to please certain people and all that certain stuff. Now I’m forgetting all about that and just playing hockey again. I got a fresh start here in a new organization and I’m able to just come in with a clear mind and play hockey without having to think. That’s making it a lot easier for me.”

Linkage to the original article: https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/feature-caggiula-settlin g-in-with-simple-game/c-303755228

Wonder if that was just T-Mac that he was referring to, or if it went higher than that. Either way, yet another piece of fuel on the (tire) fire.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #45)
Next Topic:Drai voted into the All-Star game
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca