This day on August 17
None

Happy Birthday To: Slim Jim Phantom Call, Ingenious_OilerFan, copper&blue, annie01, Kaizzer3

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread...Pages (23): [1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719537]
Wed, 03 October 2018 20:54 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Bah, what's the point. Leafs are winning the cup.

Dream 1st game for leafs fans. 11M man with a goal. Future 15M man with 2.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 October 2018 18:18]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719538 is a reply to message #719537 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 20:54

They've got 110 point team written all over them.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719548 is a reply to message #719538 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerfan79  is currently offline oilerfan79

No Cups

Really the way everyone is talking I figure they're good for at least 164 points this year. The other teams aren't even going to show up because it's just a waste of time to try to beat the Leafs.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719541 is a reply to message #719537 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Canucks up 4-1 on the Flames in the 3rd. Not sure when the flames got back from China(?) but definitely not how I envisioned their season starting. Truthfully think they’ll be a solid team in the Pacific this year. Ugh. I can’t believe I said that.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719542 is a reply to message #719541 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 22:20

Canucks up 4-1 on the Flames in the 3rd. Not sure when the flames got back from China(?) but definitely not how I envisioned their season starting. Truthfully think they’ll be a solid team in the Pacific this year. Ugh. I can’t believe I said that.

Good Corsi start for the flames though. 56-26 at 5v5. Bill Peter's still has the magic from his Canes days. Canes were by far the best Corsi team last year at 5v5.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719546 is a reply to message #719542 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 23:23

Good Corsi start for the flames though. 56-26 at 5v5. Bill Peter's still has the magic from his Canes days. Canes were by far the best Corsi team last year at 5v5.

2 things I took out of watching some of that Canucks/Flames game were that Mike Smith doesn't look very good, and that the Flames PP went 0 for 7. I wasn't picturing this outcome, seeing Vancouver quite a bit in preseason.

Calgary hasn't won an opener in 9 years.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719543 is a reply to message #719541 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

I'm curious how Jankowski will pan out this year. Kid was picked way off the board, had a pedestrian NCAA career, and is a year younger than Rattie with slightly better AHL numbers. His NHL numbers fit alongside Caggiula's, who had a better college career than Jankowski. Though Caggiula is cheaper by 175k and did not cost a 1st rounder, so yay PC? Or maybe boo Feaster and Treliving?

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719559 is a reply to message #719543 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

ziltoid wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 23:39

I'm curious how Jankowski will pan out this year. Kid was picked way off the board, had a pedestrian NCAA career, and is a year younger than Rattie with slightly better AHL numbers. His NHL numbers fit alongside Caggiula's, who had a better college career than Jankowski. Though Caggiula is cheaper by 175k and did not cost a 1st rounder, so yay PC? Or maybe boo Feaster and Treliving?

Yeah, brutal pick no matter how you slice it. Coulda had him in the 3rd round probably. Feaster goes in knowing the kid is a 4-5 year project before he even touches NHL ice. I'm amazed he's made it at all. Does seem like a 3rd/4th liner long term, but I don't think any team should be using their 1st round picks on forwards that they know will be beyond their productivity prime age before they even make the NHL.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719545 is a reply to message #719537 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Nice to hear news today of Shanny postulating on how the Detroit guys all took a discount to stay together, and how all the Toronto guys should do the same. Hmmm, I don't know if Shanahan signed for anything but top dollar, I could be mistaken. If that were the case, Tavares shouldn't be at 11 million. Matthews at $11-12 mil (hope they give him $15 mil though), Marner at ~$8 mil, Nylander at $7 mil, Marleau at $6.25 still in the first year of Matthews' & Marner's 2nd contracts. Nice to see some contractual discord out there in Toronto.

Dear Lord, I'm hating on the Leafs coverage on both networks. It's tough catching up on the highlights and commentary, that taste of vomit sandwich.....Watching Burkie break down each element of Tavares' goal, well, that was television for the ages....
puke

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719547 is a reply to message #719545 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 04 October 2018 02:00

Nice to hear news today of Shanny postulating on how the Detroit guys all took a discount to stay together, and how all the Toronto guys should do the same. Hmmm, I don't know if Shanahan signed for anything but top dollar, I could be mistaken. If that were the case, Tavares shouldn't be at 11 million. Matthews at $11-12 mil (hope they give him $15 mil though), Marner at ~$8 mil, Nylander at $7 mil, Marleau at $6.25 still in the first year of Matthews' & Marner's 2nd contracts. Nice to see some contractual discord out there in Toronto.

Dear Lord, I'm hating on the Leafs coverage on both networks. It's tough catching up on the highlights and commentary, that taste of vomit sandwich.....Watching Burkie break down each element of Tavares' goal, well, that was television for the ages....
puke

I think the Leafs are wise to position it that everyone needs to take discounts - certainly, I think the Oilers should have been having the same conversation with every player who's contract they were negotiating from the time they signed McDavid...

That said, did Shanahan and company really take discounts in Detroit?

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brendan-shanahan
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/steve-yzermanhttps://www.capfriendly.com/players/sergei-fedorov
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/dominik-hasek
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brett-hull

Shanahan's contract climbed repeatedly after he got to Detroit, peaking at $7MM in 2002-03. Details on Yzerman are scant, but he was making $8MM in the last couple years before the lockout. Fedorov signed an offer sheet with Carolina that paid him massive money, including one year at $28 Million.

The short-term guys all made mint too. Hasek was at $7MM+ for his Detroit years which would have been top dollar for goalies at the time. Brett Hull was fairly late in his career and made $5MM and $4MM in his Detroit seasons.

There was no cap and the owner was willing to spend on his team, so it's hard to compare but I don't really think it's true that the players left a lot of money on the table to build that winner. I do think it's a nice try by Shanahan though...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719550 is a reply to message #719547 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I think Shanny may have taken too many hits to the head. Detroit payed top dollar to those players. They were always at or near the top in payroll every year.
He's just trying to push a narrative that all those UFA's and RFA's that come up this year, which are most of their better players, need to take less because the have no hope of fitting them all under the cap.
Assuming they sign Nylander which I would think will be around 7.5 million they are down to around 5 million this year. But next year their cap space would be 22.5 million with only 12 guys signed. Matthew's is getting 10 to 11 at least bringing the space to 11.5 million and just 13 signed. Marner is good for at least 8 to 9 Million unless his agent is terrible so now their down to 2.5 in space with just 14 players signed. Unless Marleau "develops an allergy to his shoulder pads" they are in a tonne of trouble and even if he does they'll still have trouble icing a decent team. Their only defence men signed for next year worth mentioning are Rielly and Zaitsev and I'd say their D group this year is no better than ours.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719554 is a reply to message #719550 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

It's one game but I was listening to the fan 960 in Calgary and they were none to happy about losing to the Canucks who they view as very much a weaker team. icon_lol Mentioning it looked like last year.

PP sucked and apparently they had 7 and didn't even generate a shot per game.
Lack of emotion and try.
Goaltending was mediocre.
Backlund is not a good second line center.

I hope it continues!!

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719560 is a reply to message #719554 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Lindholm seems to have had a hell of a night. That Hamilton trade looks better by the day, for Carolina.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719561 is a reply to message #719560 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilerfan79 wrote on Thu, 04 October 2018 09:32

Lindholm seems to have had a hell of a night. That Hamilton trade looks better by the day, for Carolina.

I see he was a -4. Pretty impressive debut to be on the ice for all 4 goals against. All the Canucks goals were scored 5 on 5 which is supposed to be harder to do. Your starting 36 yr old goalie let in 4 goals on 22 shots which is a .818% Then I looked at their defense. They broke up one of the best top pairs in the league by trading away a legit, top pairing, big point producing, right shot dman because apparently he didn't like to party and they replace him with a probably OK second pairing left shot guy. They played the crap out of Gio - 25:46 - who's 35. Then you play Brodie who has been brutal for several years over 23 mins a night. Hanifin played under 20 mins. Then you drop all the way down to Hamonic who has been on a decline for several years now and who played 14:35. Now granted he got into a fight but still if he hadn't, what would his ice time have been 16 mins? That's still low end second pairing mins. Then their 3rd pair, the played Stone, 12:11 and Valimaki just over 10 mins. So basically, if Gio faulters or starts to show his age which is bound to happen soon, they are in big trouble because that defense doesn't look too hot. AND as I said, you have an old, injury proned, inconsistent starting goalie.

Remember when there were some people in Oilers nation who actually believed that the Oilers screwed up by drafting Drai and passing on Bennett? He played 8:47 and was a -1. icon_lol

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719562 is a reply to message #719561 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 04 October 2018 09:55

I see he was a -4. Pretty impressive debut to be on the ice for all 4 goals against. All the Canucks goals were scored 5 on 5 which is supposed to be harder to do. Your starting 36 yr old goalie let in 4 goals on 22 shots which is a .818% Then I looked at their defense. They broke up one of the best top pairs in the league by trading away a legit, top pairing, big point producing, right shot dman because apparently he didn't like to party and they replace him with a probably OK second pairing left shot guy. They played the crap out of Gio - 25:46 - who's 35. Then you play Brodie who has been brutal for several years over 23 mins a night. Hanifin played under 20 mins. Then you drop all the way down to Hamonic who has been on a decline for several years now and who played 14:35. Now granted he got into a fight but still if he hadn't, what would his ice time have been 16 mins? That's still low end second pairing mins. Then their 3rd pair, the played Stone, 12:11 and Valimaki just over 10 mins. So basically, if Gio faulters or starts to show his age which is bound to happen soon, they are in big trouble because that defense doesn't look too hot. AND as I said, you have an old, injury proned, inconsistent starting goalie.

Remember when there were some people in Oilers nation who actually believed that the Oilers screwed up by drafting Drai and passing on Bennett? He played 8:47 and was a -1. icon_lol

I think I saw that the Canucks scored 5 goals at even strength all pre-season. Good job flames letting them score 4 last night.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719563 is a reply to message #719562 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 04 October 2018 10:15

I think I saw that the Canucks scored 5 goals at even strength all pre-season. Good job flames letting them score 4 last night.

I actually dislike the Canucks more than the Flames, so I don't know how to feel about last night. I think the Flames are better, and so the meltdown in Calgary is kind of funny, but the misery of Canucks fans is even more satisfying.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719564 is a reply to message #719563 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 04 October 2018 10:17

I actually dislike the Canucks more than the Flames, so I don't know how to feel about last night. I think the Flames are better, and so the meltdown in Calgary is kind of funny, but the misery of Canucks fans is even more satisfying.

I know it's possible to fall into the same trap as last year with Vegas, but right now, I don't worry about the Canucks. Their misery should be inevitable. Flames though, actually think they are gonna do something special this year :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719565 is a reply to message #719564 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 04 October 2018 10:19

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 04 October 2018 10:17

I know it's possible to fall into the same trap as last year with Vegas, but right now, I don't worry about the Canucks. Their misery should be inevitable. Flames though, actually think they are gonna do something special this year :)

Vancouver fell into the Oilers trap. They need a PLAN and a few years to get out. You're right about Calgary, they could be in for something of a reckoning.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719558 is a reply to message #719547 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 04 October 2018 05:27

puke

I think the Leafs are wise to position it that everyone needs to take discounts - certainly, I think the Oilers should have been having the same conversation with every player who's contract they were negotiating from the time they signed McDavid...

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/steve-yzermanhttps://www.capfriendly.com/players/sergei-fedorov

Shanahan's contract climbed repeatedly after he got to Detroit, peaking at $7MM in 2002-03. Details on Yzerman are scant, but he was making $8MM in the last couple years before the lockout. Fedorov signed an offer sheet with Carolina that paid him massive money, including one year at $28 Million.

The short-term guys all made mint too. Hasek was at $7MM+ for his Detroit years which would have been top dollar for goalies at the time. Brett Hull was fairly late in his career and made $5MM and $4MM in his Detroit seasons.

There was no cap and the owner was willing to spend on his team, so it's hard to compare but I don't really think it's true that the players left a lot of money on the table to build that winner. I do think it's a nice try by Shanahan though...

I found what Shanahan said to be laughable. His team goes out and signed Marleau who at the time was 38 to a 3 year, 6.25 mill contract. They didn't need forwards, they needed defense. Now was Marleau good for them last year? Sure but at 6.25 for a 38 yr old, that is top dollar. Teams just don't give out that much money to guys his age anymore. Yet they did. Then this year, they signed home town boy Tavares to 11 mill. Calling that a discount to me is a joke. Now apparently the Islanders may have offered Tavarese a bit more money over the same years but what choice did they have? He was their home grown, franchises player who on a lot of nights, was one of the few reasons Isles fans had to go watch the team. If you look at their roster now, they are crap. So they had too offer him big money. Now maybe some other team offered him more money on a real short contract but to suggest that Tavares took "Less" on a 7 yr, 11 mill per contract when he was turning 28 is a pile of crap. They are going to be paying Tavares who isn't a fast skater and who's best years are pretty much all behind him 11 mill when he is 33, 34, 35. That's not a discount, that's top dollar. To put it into perspective. Kucherov who's a few years younger but in my opinion, a better player who has grossly outscored Tavares over the last few seasons signed for 9.5 mill. So how can he say Tavares took less.

So Shanahan can suggest his guy take less but if I was them, I wouldn't. If Eichel got 10 mill, Matthews is easily worth 11 or more. That's not taking less. Marner had 69 pts, he probably scores more than 70 pts this year. Tavares in reality if you look at his stats, averages probably in the mid 70's. SO if he gets 11 mill as a UFA, why would Marner who hasn't hit his prime yet, worth that much less?

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719599 is a reply to message #719558 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 04 October 2018 09:10

Adam wrote on Thu, 04 October 2018 05:27

puke

I found what Shanahan said to be laughable. His team goes out and signed Marleau who at the time was 38 to a 3 year, 6.25 mill contract. They didn't need forwards, they needed defense. Now was Marleau good for them last year? Sure but at 6.25 for a 38 yr old, that is top dollar. Teams just don't give out that much money to guys his age anymore. Yet they did. Then this year, they signed home town boy Tavares to 11 mill. Calling that a discount to me is a joke. Now apparently the Islanders may have offered Tavarese a bit more money over the same years but what choice did they have? He was their home grown, franchises player who on a lot of nights, was one of the few reasons Isles fans had to go watch the team. If you look at their roster now, they are crap. So they had too offer him big money. Now maybe some other team offered him more money on a real short contract but to suggest that Tavares took "Less" on a 7 yr, 11 mill per contract when he was turning 28 is a pile of crap. They are going to be paying Tavares who isn't a fast skater and who's best years are pretty much all behind him 11 mill when he is 33, 34, 35. That's not a discount, that's top dollar. To put it into perspective. Kucherov who's a few years younger but in my opinion, a better player who has grossly outscored Tavares over the last few seasons signed for 9.5 mill. So how can he say Tavares took less.

So Shanahan can suggest his guy take less but if I was them, I wouldn't. If Eichel got 10 mill, Matthews is easily worth 11 or more. That's not taking less. Marner had 69 pts, he probably scores more than 70 pts this year. Tavares in reality if you look at his stats, averages probably in the mid 70's. SO if he gets 11 mill as a UFA, why would Marner who hasn't hit his prime yet, worth that much less?

My favourite story about a guy on that Detroit team taking a pay cut for the betterment of the team was when Fedorov signed an offersheet and made 28M for 1 season in 97-98, a year they won the cup.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719587 is a reply to message #719537 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

So, cant believe I forgot this last night but Eller for Washington does a kind of disrespectful celly on the 7th goal of a 7-0 shellacking of the Bruins. So, next opportunity, Brad Marchand goes after him. If you want to see slow mo video of a guy just feeding another guy square 2,3 times on the way down, this is exhibit A.

Fair enough, disrespectful. By the same measure, Marchand should atone for face licking among other things. How this POS escapes getting his hash settled for him is beyond me. Its overdue.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719591 is a reply to message #719587 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Why on earth does Eller drop his gloves with Marchand? Dumb. Keep your gloves on, refuse to fight, and let Marchand take a few games suspension. Outcome would have been the same for Eller - he would have eaten a few.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719596 is a reply to message #719591 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

AndersonRules wrote on Fri, 05 October 2018 08:14

Why on earth does Eller drop his gloves with Marchand? Dumb. Keep your gloves on, refuse to fight, and let Marchand take a few games suspension. Outcome would have been the same for Eller - he would have eaten a few.

Meanwhile, Travis Hamonic is injured and out "week-to-week" after fighting Erik Gudbranson the other night. Tough blow for the Flames who already sabotaged their own defence corps this summer...that leaves them a little thin on the right side!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719597 is a reply to message #719596 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 October 2018 10:02

Meanwhile, Travis Hamonic is injured and out "week-to-week" after fighting Erik Gudbranson the other night. Tough blow for the Flames who already sabotaged their own defence corps this summer...that leaves them a little thin on the right side!

Addition by subtraction though. Hamonic is terrible :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719600 is a reply to message #719597 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 05 October 2018 10:03

Why? Does he like to go to museums!?!?

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719601 is a reply to message #719600 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 October 2018 10:15

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 05 October 2018 10:03

Why? Does he like to go to museums!?!?

Naw, this terrible actually happens on the ice. Slower dumber Russell that drags down his D partners.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719588 is a reply to message #719537 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Eichel named captain of the Sabres

http://i.imgur.com/NZsg783.jpg

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719595 is a reply to message #719588 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

It's one game but nice to see Vegas get boot stomped by Philly 5-2. Fleury getting chased giving up 5 goals on I think 16 shots. Philly has Brian Elliott as their starter who is about as up and down as it gets.I believe that Vegas is going to get a rude awakening. When you don't have the entire league taking you a little lightly, when the entire league will be gunning for you and bringing their A game and when you don't have an entire team having career years all at once, things aren't that easy in the NHL.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719607 is a reply to message #719595 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hamonic gets hurt in his first game. He took a first in the first, left the game, came back with something protecting his jaw now he is out.

Remember when there was an uproar in this site about the Oilers not trading for Hamonic? icon_lol The Flames traded a 1st and 2 seconds for him. He was terrible last year, got nicked up and now he's hurt again after game 1. Oilers dodged a bullet there.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719610 is a reply to message #719607 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 October 2018 11:07

Hamonic gets hurt in his first game. He took a first in the first, left the game, came back with something protecting his jaw now he is out.

Remember when there was an uproar in this site about the Oilers not trading for Hamonic? icon_lol The Flames traded a 1st and 2 seconds for him. He was terrible last year, got nicked up and now he's hurt again after game 1. Oilers dodged a bullet there.

Eberle for Hamonic still would have been better than Hall for Larsson. But i bet it would've been Hall for Hamonic so we did dodge a bullet.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719616 is a reply to message #719610 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 05 October 2018 11:30

Eberle for Hamonic still would have been better than Hall for Larsson. But i bet it would've been Hall for Hamonic so we did dodge a bullet.

Didn't Snow turn down Hall for Hamonic? I could totally see Chia wanting Hamonic. Plays a bit more "Canadian" than Larsson.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719612 is a reply to message #719607 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I remember when I was campaigning for not trading for Hamonic, since we needed a right-shot d-man with a bit of offence to his game...

I think the only uproar was that Hall for Larsson was a worse trade than a draft pick or two for Hamonic...that's hard to debate given that Hall is a point-per-game player and both defencemen are only defensive guys who have limitations to their game. Larsson is better, but I'd rather have Hall and Hamonic, than Larsson and Lucic.

Worth adding - Hall for Ceci would have been terrible too.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719615 is a reply to message #719612 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hamonic in general is not very good in my opinion. He's been on a pretty steady decline, started in the Island and looks to have continued in Calgary.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719620 is a reply to message #719607 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

The Oilers traded a first and a second for Griffin Reinhart. I think the Flames did better with getting Hamonic.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719625 is a reply to message #719620 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Fri, 05 October 2018 13:34

The Oilers traded a first and a second for Griffin Reinhart. I think the Flames did better with getting Hamonic.

Yup You are right. It was a really stupid trade. Doesn't change that Hamonic isn't very good.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719752 is a reply to message #719625 ]
Sun, 07 October 2018 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 October 2018 14:35

Pseudoreality wrote on Fri, 05 October 2018 13:34

Yup You are right. It was a really stupid trade. Doesn't change that Hamonic isn't very good.

I think it does make the Hamonic deal better. How else to evaluate a trade then by comparing to your peers? I'd take Hamonic over Reinhart, or Hamonic for a 1st & 2nd over Hall for Larsson.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719619 is a reply to message #719537 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

There's a lot to hate about the Flames, but this is pretty awesome:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dor66klU4AAwRzZ.jpg:small

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #719744 is a reply to message #719537 ]
Sun, 07 October 2018 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

I saw the Leaf Senators game today, Leaf superstars beaten by the Senator cast-offs, and their new sensation D-man, T. Chabot. Chabot got two unreal goals tonight, checkout the highlights.

That guy is freaking unreal! I knew he'd be really good after leading the Junior team to a gold a few year sago, but I didn't think he'd get this good, this quick. Kid is going to be a star.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #720067 is a reply to message #719537 ]
Fri, 12 October 2018 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

Hey, has everybody heard? The top 4 scorers in the league are Leafs.

Don't believe me? Just watch any 60 second window of TSN or Sportsnet and they'll tell you.

Re: 2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread... [message #720069 is a reply to message #720067 ]
Fri, 12 October 2018 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 12 October 2018 15:03

Hey, has everybody heard? The top 4 scorers in the league are Leafs.

Don't believe me? Just watch any 60 second window of TSN or Sportsnet and they'll tell you.

You know what could make the Oilers sucking actually worse? The Leafs being successful at the same time...UGH.

Pages (23): [1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick
Next Topic:Philly signs Kevin Hayes, 7 years at 50M
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca