F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Karlsson to SJ Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Karlsson to SJ [message #718513]
Thu, 13 September 2018 12:34 Go to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

The Sens have traded Erik Karlsson and Francis Perron to SJ for a 1st rd pick in 2019 or 2020, C-Chris Tierny, 2nd rd pick 2019, C-Josh Norris, LW-Rudolfs Balcers and D-Dylan DeMelo.
Sens also get a 2nd rd pick in 2021. It becomes a first if the Sharks sign him and SJ makes it to the final yhis season.

The Sens also get a 1rst in 2021 or 2022 if Karlsson plays for an eastern team in 2018/19.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718514 is a reply to message #718513 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

It's so great to see all these Pacific teams getting the best player in the deal.

Clean house or bust

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718517 is a reply to message #718514 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 12:39

It's so great to see all these Pacific teams getting the best player in the deal.

That's not always true, sometimes the best player in the deal leaves the Pacific and goes to NJ or NY

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718519 is a reply to message #718517 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 12:55

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 12:39

That's not always true, sometimes the best player in the deal leaves the Pacific and goes to NJ or NY

I'm really mad I didn't make that joke. Good work.

I don't think this hurts the Oilers, they weren't going to be competitive anyway.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718516 is a reply to message #718513 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Well, that's annoying. Hopefully Karlsson walks and signs in the East, just for some extra pain for SJ.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718527 is a reply to message #718516 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/senators-trade-karlsson-to-sharks-1.11722 97

Here is the return. That is what Ottawa has been holding out for? A couple of AHLers, a 3rd line center and a right handed shooting dman who TSN lists as a depth guy? Plus some picks that will probably be lower end. That's it? Brutal trade.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718529 is a reply to message #718527 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 13:13

Here is the return. That is what Ottawa has been holding out for? A couple of AHLers, a 3rd line center and a right handed shooting dman who TSN lists as a depth guy? Plus some picks that will probably be lower end. That's it?

THat's honestly disgusting. Dorion is a clown. SO many bad GM's in Canada.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718533 is a reply to message #718529 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 13:15

Here is the return. That is what Ottawa has been holding out for? A couple of AHLers, a 3rd line center and a right handed shooting dman who TSN lists as a depth guy? Plus some picks that will probably be lower end. That's it?

Totally agree. I really hope I don't see anyone in here complaining about the Oilers not getting Karlsson. #1, he was NEVER going to agree to come here. NEVER. It was reported he wouldn't go to Edmonton or pretty much ALL the other Canadian teams. He's played his entire career in a Canadian, hockey mad market, he wants to play in an American market where he can disappear. Even if somehow he agreed to a trade to come to Edmonton, there is not a chance in hell he would resign in Edmonton. As I said, he wants to play in an American market where he can be a rich guy who no one has a clue who he is on a daily basis.

Besides, he's going to want at least what Doughty makes which is 11 mill. So if by some miracle he would sign in Edmonton, it doesn't matter they paid too much for Russell or have Lucic on the books, you can't be dropping over 30 mill on 3 guys and have a chance. You'd be spending so much money on 3 guys, your depth would absolutely suck. Karlsson is an elite player but what he will make next year is what you can pay 3 or 4 good NHLers.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718565 is a reply to message #718533 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 13:23

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 13:15

Totally agree. I really hope I don't see anyone in here complaining about the Oilers not getting Karlsson. #1, he was NEVER going to agree to come here. NEVER. It was reported he wouldn't go to Edmonton or pretty much ALL the other Canadian teams. He's played his entire career in a Canadian, hockey mad market, he wants to play in an American market where he can disappear. Even if somehow he agreed to a trade to come to Edmonton, there is not a chance in hell he would resign in Edmonton. As I said, he wants to play in an American market where he can be a rich guy who no one has a clue who he is on a daily basis.

Besides, he's going to want at least what Doughty makes which is 11 mill. So if by some miracle he would sign in Edmonton, it doesn't matter they paid too much for Russell or have Lucic on the books, you can't be dropping over 30 mill on 3 guys and have a chance. You'd be spending so much money on 3 guys, your depth would absolutely suck. Karlsson is an elite player but what he will make next year is what you can pay 3 or 4 good NHLers.

He actually reached out to Friedman to refute that false report...

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2018/08/erik-karlsson-refute s-report-about-canadian-cities.html

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718534 is a reply to message #718513 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ottawa Senators @Senators

News Release: #Sens complete most important trade in rebuild, acquire six assets in Erik Karlsson trade: https://ottsens.com/2MsZbfh

lol

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718536 is a reply to message #718534 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Red Rage  is currently offline Red Rage

No Cups

Best comment I've seen so far: "There's a new Chiarelli in town!"

In all seriousness, if there is someone who knows these SJ players, what are the Oilers' equivalents?

I know that Karlsson didn't want to come to Canada, yatta, yatta ... but you gotta think that we could have offered something better.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 September 2018 13:44]

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718540 is a reply to message #718513 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG is currently online NetBOG

4 Cups

It's a classic 6 dimes for a dollar bill trade. Fits right into the owners plan to roll with cheap youth. Just killing time until the new building is built (by the taxpayers), and he can sell at a higher price.

But nobody in SJ is a genius. They can't resign him unless they give him every dollar that Pavelski and Thornton's expiring contracts will remove. If they do that, the D is good but the forwards are terribad. E Kane and Hertl are locked up super long term at just short of $13 million per season combined. Plus they have given up significant amounts of high draft picks in the next 3 years in the Kane and Karlsson deals. This is a one year push of the chips all-in.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718545 is a reply to message #718540 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 13:49

It's a classic 6 dimes for a dollar bill trade. Fits right into the owners plan to roll with cheap youth. Just killing time until the new building is built (by the taxpayers), and he can sell at a higher price.

But nobody in SJ is a genius. They can't resign him unless they give him every dollar that Pavelski and Thornton's expiring contracts will remove. If they do that, the D is good but the forwards are terribad. E Kane and Hertl are locked up super long term at just short of $13 million per season combined. Plus they have given up significant amounts of high draft picks in the next 3 years in the Kane and Karlsson deals. This is a one year push of the chips all-in.

I guess I am proven wrong on Melnyk's plan to have 15 newbs in the lineup by next year. They're way ahead of schedule now. Stone could easily bring in 5 more nobodies.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718544 is a reply to message #718513 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 11:34

The Sens have traded Erik Karlsson and Francis Perron to SJ for a 1st rd pick in 2019 or 2020, C-Chris Tierny, 2nd rd pick 2019, C-Josh Norris, LW-Rudolfs Balcers and D-Dylan DeMelo.
Sens also get a 2nd rd pick in 2021. It becomes a first if the Sharks sign him and SJ makes it to the final yhis season.

The Sens also get a 1rst in 2021 or 2022 if Karlsson plays for an eastern team in 2018/19.

In terms of quantity, that's a lot of assets for potentially only one year of Karlsson. There are no bubbling superstars here, but most of these guys have decent numbers that will help fill out the team or at least be useful assets later. The Sens still suck of course and should have done better to prevent this trade from being a necessity, but I don't think it's horrible.

The Sens fans in the office here are depressed for losing their superstar. It's a shame it came to this.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718546 is a reply to message #718544 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Steve wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 13:55

In terms of quantity, that's a lot of assets for potentially only one year of Karlsson. There are no bubbling superstars here, but most of these guys have decent numbers that will help fill out the team or at least be useful assets later. The Sens still suck of course and should have done better to prevent this trade from being a necessity, but I don't think it's horrible.

The Sens fans in the office here are depressed for losing their superstar. It's a shame it came to this.

Can you let me know what they are doing to cope? I need some tips for the near future.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718547 is a reply to message #718546 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 13:00

Can you let me know what they are doing to cope? I need some tips for the near future.

What? Do you have some inside knowledge the Oilers are going to trade McDavid or something? Don't play man.

Honestly though, one guy came to talk to me to express his sorrows. He thought I would understand his hockey depression the most because I'm an Oilers fan....

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718549 is a reply to message #718547 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

Steve wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 14:06

Honestly though, one guy came to talk to me to express his sorrows. He thought I would understand his hockey depression the most because I'm an Oilers fan....

That's funny, I think I have mentioned my boss is from Ott and a Sens fan. I heard him swear from his office, 2 doors down, knew the trade was done.
He came right down to my office and said the same thing about how I would understand his frustration

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718562 is a reply to message #718547 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Steve wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 14:06

Magnum wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 13:00

What? Do you have some inside knowledge the Oilers are going to trade McDavid or something? Don't play man.

By near future, I mean in two years when the Oilers still aren't in the playoffs.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718548 is a reply to message #718513 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Wow, that is a bad deal for the Sens. Not as bad as Hall for Larsson, but almost.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718564 is a reply to message #718548 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So the Sens decided to keep their first this year to draft Tkachuk. They trade a guaranteed 20+ goal guy in Hoffman for Boedker who isn't good. Then they trade Karlsson, one of the best players in the NHL for a 3rd pairing dman and a 3rd line center plus a bunch of scraps and picks. AND they have to give up their first in 2019 which is not lottery protected. The Sens pick was 4th overall this season WITH Karlsson and Hoffman. They actually think it will be lower this coming season? They are probably giving up the 1st overall because realistically, it's probably between the Islanders and the Sens as the 2 worst teams in the league this year.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718579 is a reply to message #718564 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 16:14

So the Sens decided to keep their first this year to draft Tkachuk. They trade a guaranteed 20+ goal guy in Hoffman for Boedker who isn't good. Then they trade Karlsson, one of the best players in the NHL for a 3rd pairing dman and a 3rd line center plus a bunch of scraps and picks. AND they have to give up their first in 2019 which is not lottery protected. The Sens pick was 4th overall this season WITH Karlsson and Hoffman. They actually think it will be lower this coming season? They are probably giving up the 1st overall because realistically, it's probably between the Islanders and the Sens as the 2 worst teams in the league this year.

I would put Montreal in that category as well. They are a complete mess!

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718584 is a reply to message #718579 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jakey wrote on Fri, 14 September 2018 09:16

Part of the East division is a joke. People keep using the Leafs and compare them to the Oilers. Look at their division. Montreal is in a free fall and have been for years. The don't have a single decent center and their defense isn't that good. They needed a center so they trade a future at worst #3 puck moving, scoring dman in Sergachev for a winger and try to convert him to a center. The fact he is french probably played a part in them going after Drouin which to me is silly as where a player is from shouldn't factor in. They dump Galchenyuk who all he did was score or flirt with 20+ goals and who by position is a center even though they refused to develop him as one and replace him with Domi who is smaller and crappier and scores even less. Then they run their captain out of town. So they are a joke.
Then you have Detroit who even though they are lousy and don't have a star player, somehow have ZERO cap space. Now they announce Zetterberg who was their captain and still probably their best player is done in the NHL. So you don't replace him.
Then you have Buffalo who god only knows if they will be good.
Then there is Ottawa who are a complete disaster. They trade off Turris who was pretty decent and grossly overpay for Duchene. The trade off Hoffman thanks to his wacko wife. Now they trade Karlsson for nothing.
Then they have the Islanders who lost Tavares and not that you can totally replace him, did nothing to replace even 3/4 of Tavares. Barzal is a second year player and their best center who will get destroyed because there is ZERO cover behind him so every team will match up the crap out of him. If Eberle is your second best player, like he is on the Islanders and was on the Oilers for many years, chances are you aren't a good team. No disrespect intended because Eberle is a good player but he's a complimentary guy.

So anyone in the East including the Leafs have at least 4 easy teams to rack up points against - Detroit, Ottawa, Montreal, Islanders - possibly Buffalo. Who is the West is a free spot on the bingo card? Maybe the Canucks, other than that it's a battle.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718585 is a reply to message #718584 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 14 September 2018 09:59

Part of the East division is a joke. People keep using the Leafs and compare them to the Oilers. Look at their division. Montreal is in a free fall and have been for years. The don't have a single decent center and their defense isn't that good. They needed a center so they trade a future at worst #3 puck moving, scoring dman in Sergachev for a winger and try to convert him to a center. The fact he is french probably played a part in them going after Drouin which to me is silly as where a player is from shouldn't factor in. They dump Galchenyuk who all he did was score or flirt with 20+ goals and who by position is a center even though they refused to develop him as one and replace him with Domi who is smaller and crappier and scores even less. Then they run their captain out of town. So they are a joke.
Then you have Detroit who even though they are lousy and don't have a star player, somehow have ZERO cap space. Now they announce Zetterberg who was their captain and still probably their best player is done in the NHL. So you don't replace him.
Then there is Ottawa who are a complete disaster. They trade off Turris who was pretty decent and grossly overpay for Duchene. The trade off Hoffman thanks to his wacko wife. Now they trade Karlsson for nothing.
Then they have the Islanders who lost Tavares and not that you can totally replace him, did nothing to replace even 3/4 of Tavares. Barzal is a second year player and their best center who will get destroyed because there is ZERO cover behind him so every team will match up the crap out of him. If Eberle is your second best player, like he is on the Islanders and was on the Oilers for many years, chances are you aren't a good team. No disrespect intended because Eberle is a good player but he's a complimentary guy.

So anyone in the East including the Leafs have at least 4 easy teams to rack up points against - Detroit, Ottawa, Montreal, Islanders - possibly Buffalo. Who is the West is a free spot on the bingo card? Maybe the Canucks, other than that it's a battle.

Funny thing is, didn't the Oilers have a better record against the Pacific than anywhere or anyone else? So I don't think that matters so much.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718590 is a reply to message #718585 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Fri, 14 September 2018 10:17

Funny thing is, didn't the Oilers have a better record against the Pacific than anywhere or anyone else? So I don't think that matters so much.

They did but the huge majority of the teams in the Pacific while not elite, were pretty good. The East division in general in my opinion seems to have a 2 or 3 super elite teams, a few real good teams, then a whole bunch of lower end to complete garbage teams where you can rack up points against. The West seems to be loaded with a ton of really good teams and very few crappy teams.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718606 is a reply to message #718584 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

They had 47 wins and won their division 2 seasons ago...

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718607 is a reply to message #718584 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 14 September 2018 08:59

Who is the West is a free spot on the bingo card?

The Oilers.

**ducks flying Koolaid glasses on the way out**

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718608 is a reply to message #718607 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 14 September 2018 14:28

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 14 September 2018 08:59

Who is the West is a free spot on the bingo card?

The Oilers.

**ducks flying Koolaid glasses on the way out**

Lol. Implying there's only one free square.

Oilers, Coyotes, Canucks.

I haven't paid attention to Arizona this off season, have they done anything to end their two decade string of futility? Man the Pacific has some bad teams in it.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718566 is a reply to message #718548 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 14:07

Wow, that is a bad deal for the Sens. Not as bad as Hall for Larsson, but almost.

The main difference being there was a bit of a gun to the head of the Sens with Karlsson.

Really, for a deal for a disgruntled D-man with a year left, I don't know how much better it can get to be honest. No guarantees SJ signs him, and they're going to play him full season and playoffs, not dump him for assets at the deadline unless things are going significantly bad for the Sharks at that point. I don't know what their cap situation is for next year, but clearly they've got to be thinking extension and how that fits in with some of their current, upcoming and expiring contracts. Could be more moves coming with the Sharks. The Sharks are basically betting on a Cup appearance in the spring here. Hope it doesn't work out.

Blame Sens ownership and management for what's led up to this....the sh-t show, more than the deal itself.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718563 is a reply to message #718513 ]
Thu, 13 September 2018 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looch  is currently offline Looch

No Cups

Oh God. 6 pilons for a year of Karlsson. Worth the gamble. The sharks have a plethora of power play options

Screw all of this leaf love on the other hockey websites, the Sharks have got to be serious front-runners now.

It's tough to see all of these teams in our conference get all of these good players while we remain still and pray that Nurse signs soon.

It makes a guy really hope that Rieder has instant chemistry with Draisaitl and our young D step in a big way. I really don't want to throw in the towel on cheering for the Oilers after the first 2 months of the season again

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718596 is a reply to message #718563 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

Sharks are better, Golden Knights are better. Oilers.....well they are still sawing wood while their competition is splitting atoms. Who knew the Oilers needed to address their defensive holes the last decade?

Everyone it seems but Oiler management?

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718597 is a reply to message #718596 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

halfafrog wrote on Fri, 14 September 2018 12:42

Sharks are better, Golden Knights are better. Oilers.....well they are still sawing wood while their competition is splitting atoms. Who knew the Oilers needed to address their defensive holes the last decade?

Hey, did you miss the assistant coaching changes? And how we are underdogs again. Those 2 things are like adding 2 Karlsson's.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718602 is a reply to message #718597 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 14 September 2018 12:53

halfafrog wrote on Fri, 14 September 2018 12:42

Hey, did you miss the assistant coaching changes? And how we are underdogs again. Those 2 things are like adding 2 Karlsson's.

The need for 3 Karlssons ended when we drafted Bouchard.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718609 is a reply to message #718513 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Daniel Nugent-Bowman @DNBsports

Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli on the Erik Karlsson trade: “I won’t lie. When he came to our division, there was an expletive coming out of my mouth. He’d be nice to have here, but we weren’t on his list. It was a non-starter.”

Wonder how much of the reason we weren't on the list was just location, and how much was the decade+ of obvious to everyone mismanagement.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718610 is a reply to message #718609 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 14 September 2018 17:21

Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli on the Erik Karlsson trade: “I won’t lie. When he came to our division, there was an expletive coming out of my mouth. He’d be nice to have here, but we weren’t on his list. It was a non-starter.”

Wonder how much of the reason we weren't on the list was just location, and how much was the decade+ of obvious to everyone mismanagement.

They should have sent him a DVD.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718611 is a reply to message #718610 ]
Fri, 14 September 2018 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 14 September 2018 16:53

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 14 September 2018 17:21

They should have sent him a DVD.

We're in the Bluray era now, maybe that's the problem trying to attract players.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718615 is a reply to message #718609 ]
Sat, 15 September 2018 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 14 September 2018 16:21

This is exactly how a failed manager would think. We didn't make his list? Better not even try to give him or his agent a call and explain that the best defenseman in the world could be paired with the best forward in the world.

It's a NMC. Even if you aren't on his list, he can waive it...dare you try to make a convincing case.

Clean house or bust

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718617 is a reply to message #718615 ]
Sat, 15 September 2018 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG is currently online NetBOG

4 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sat, 15 September 2018 10:18

This is exactly how a failed manager would think. We didn't make his list? Better not even try to give him or his agent a call and explain that the best defenseman in the world could be paired with the best forward in the world.

It's a NMC. Even if you aren't on his list, he can waive it...dare you try to make a convincing case.

Or maybe he realized that it was a non-starter because he just couldn't fit him in financially. Were you willing to give up Drai to get him? Thats the only way it would work. And if you wanted him to sign long term, you'd need $4 million more for next year.

He would have been a cripplingly expensive rental, for a team that the Chicken Little's who litter this board say isn't remotely close to competing. Is that what you want?

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718619 is a reply to message #718617 ]
Sat, 15 September 2018 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 15 September 2018 10:42

Or maybe he realized that it was a non-starter because he just couldn't fit him in financially. Were you willing to give up Drai to get him? Thats the only way it would work. And if you wanted him to sign long term, you'd need $4 million more for next year.

He would have been a cripplingly expensive rental, for a team that the Chicken Little's who litter this board say isn't remotely close to competing. Is that what you want?

It would have been tough to make the Edmonton offer the most compelling. Wouldn't have to have been Drai going back, could've been Lucic (that would have needed to be a hell of a pitch on its own, never mind having him waive his no trade). I expect Chiarelli did call, but I'm sure he took the first no as final and went back to his holidays. Any deal we made would have sent better players than SJ did back the other way so it couldn't have happened without an extension, which it doesn't look like Karlsson wants to do. He wants his UFA money.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718620 is a reply to message #718617 ]
Sat, 15 September 2018 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 15 September 2018 09:42

If somebody looks at the cap and says "the only way to make this work is to trade Draisaitl"...they should be fired. There are ways to make things work without trading your second highest paid guy. These are simple solutions without really exploring all your options. San Jose did not have to move Pavelski, Kane, Hertl, Burns, Couture etc. They have a high payroll too. Tampa Bay was agressive in trying to make a deal. These teams, despite their cap situations, understand that you get good players and build around them, even if for a year. You freaking figure it out when the best defenseman is available, you don't just look at your cap and say well our hands are tied...we need some proactive leadership here.

Clean house or bust

Re: Karlsson to SJ [message #718618 is a reply to message #718615 ]
Sat, 15 September 2018 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
bigEfromGP is currently online bigEfromGP

2 Cups

We couldn't afford him anyways due to the mishandling of all the $2.5mm players making >$4mm.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Zetterberg's career ends
Next Topic:Yzerman steps down as TBL GM
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca