This day on July 6
Acquired: Daniel Tjarnqvist (2006)
Departed: Ty Conklin (2006) Toby Petersen (2007) Brad Winchester (2007)

Happy Birthday To: Djwolfman, wolfman, OilFanAlways, Doushokutoaoiro, Dannycaper

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Simmons - "Wish we knew what McDavid was thinking"
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Simmons - "Wish we knew what McDavid was thinking" [message #718006]
Tue, 28 August 2018 08:20 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Steve Simmons, Toronto sports writer, hot dog afficionado and all-around horrible person, wrote an article throwing shade at the Oilers:

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/simmons-wish-we-kne w-what-connor-mcdavid-was-really-thinking

Typical sportswriter - complains that players don't say anything interesting, when they're likely to tear the player to pieces for anything interesting they do say.

I don't know what Simmons thinks that McDavid should say. Rip in to management for not surrounding him with better players? That would accomplish nothing good. It would sour things with management, possibly with coaching. It would make for an awkward dressing room dynamic, as indirectly, McDavid would have suggested some of his teammates don't belong here.

I am as big a critic of Chiarelli as their is. I think that the Lowe/Nicholson/Chiarelli/MacTavish/Howson group is about as incompetent a management group as you could put together pulling random people off the street. But I don't want to see the players taking their grievances with the crappy management of the team to the Toronto media (or any media). If they want to be forces for change, have their agents say something to the owner.

Until then, I'm pretty fine with McDavid being really measured and "boring" in his comments - especially when he's talking to someone as toxic as Steve Simmons.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Simmons - "Wish we knew what McDavid was thinking" [message #718011 is a reply to message #718006 ]
Tue, 28 August 2018 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Quotes generate newspaper sales. Acidic quotes generate more sales. Paper is a dying media, they need as much sales as they can get!

If not in print then in online blogs you pay for like the Athletic.

Nuts to them, like you, I appreciate the bland canned answers from McDavid.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Simmons - "Wish we knew what McDavid was thinking" [message #718014 is a reply to message #718006 ]
Tue, 28 August 2018 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 August 2018 08:20

Steve Simmons, Toronto sports writer, hot dog afficionado and all-around horrible person, wrote an article throwing shade at the Oilers:

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/simmons-wish-we-kne w-what-connor-mcdavid-was-really-thinking

Typical sportswriter - complains that players don't say anything interesting, when they're likely to tear the player to pieces for anything interesting they do say.

I don't know what Simmons thinks that McDavid should say. Rip in to management for not surrounding him with better players? That would accomplish nothing good. It would sour things with management, possibly with coaching. It would make for an awkward dressing room dynamic, as indirectly, McDavid would have suggested some of his teammates don't belong here.

I am as big a critic of Chiarelli as their is. I think that the Lowe/Nicholson/Chiarelli/MacTavish/Howson group is about as incompetent a management group as you could put together pulling random people off the street. But I don't want to see the players taking their grievances with the crappy management of the team to the Toronto media (or any media). If they want to be forces for change, have their agents say something to the owner.

Until then, I'm pretty fine with McDavid being really measured and "boring" in his comments - especially when he's talking to someone as toxic as Steve Simmons.

Why do companies employ people like Simmons still? Guy is just gross. Does he even really sell papers/profitable clicks? Do marketing companies account for how clicks that lead to pissing off a page viewer probably lead to less sales and clicks on advertisements.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Simmons - "Wish we knew what McDavid was thinking" [message #718017 is a reply to message #718006 ]
Tue, 28 August 2018 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Simmons is a greasy hack, never listen to him.
The clown belongs on the entertainment pages writing celebrity gossip.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Simmons - "Wish we knew what McDavid was thinking" [message #718018 is a reply to message #718017 ]
Tue, 28 August 2018 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

6 Cups

McDavid is telling people what he is thinking. When he accepted his Ted Lindsay, he thanked the Oilers fans for their loyal and patience, told us this season was a one off in his mind and the Oilers would be back. Then recently, he said he plans on scoring more goals than the 41 he had last year. So he's calling his shots.

Does anyone want to bet against McDavid doing what he said? I wouldn't.

Re: Simmons - "Wish we knew what McDavid was thinking" [message #718061 is a reply to message #718018 ]
Wed, 29 August 2018 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

Simmons is to journalism as a platypus is to being a mammal.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Simmons - "Wish we knew what McDavid was thinking" [message #718063 is a reply to message #718061 ]
Wed, 29 August 2018 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

I don't think there is anything in that article that could damage anything that Oilers management hasn't already damaged.

There is no doubt in my mind that McDavid will be making his dissatisfaction clear to management (in private, because he's a smart one) if the vaunted plan does not see results this year.

I'm actually not worried about Connor's career at all, because he will take charge of it. As for the Oilers, I hope they listen if he feels the need to express his disapproval.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Simmons - "Wish we knew what McDavid was thinking" [message #718065 is a reply to message #718006 ]
Wed, 29 August 2018 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilertime  is currently offline Oilertime

No Cups

Guys like that complain no one says anything interesting. But as soon as someone says something interesting they get ripped apart for being "a distraction ".

https://twitter.com/Reggie__11

Re: Simmons - "Wish we knew what McDavid was thinking" [message #718068 is a reply to message #718006 ]
Wed, 29 August 2018 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 August 2018 08:20

Writing hack pieces about strong hockey markets is a great way to generate offseason buzz and website clicks. Guarantee David Staples writes an article with a clickbait-y title about this in the next 24 hours.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Simmons - "Wish we knew what McDavid was thinking" [message #718092 is a reply to message #718006 ]
Thu, 30 August 2018 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Simmons is an idiot and should busy himself in planning the Leafs' cup parade.

That said, we're critical of coaching, management AND the media in Edmonton, so in this era of social media, instant information, etc, etc, we shouldn't be surprised or too indignant if someone else takes a run at what everyone complains about around here.

Re: Simmons - "Wish we knew what McDavid was thinking" [message #718093 is a reply to message #718092 ]
Thu, 30 August 2018 11:45 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 30 August 2018 11:29

Simmons is an idiot and should busy himself in planning the Leafs' cup parade.

That said, we're critical of coaching, management AND the media in Edmonton, so in this era of social media, instant information, etc, etc, we shouldn't be surprised or too indignant if someone else takes a run at what everyone complains about around here.

Agreed - I don't even think he's wrong with regards to what the player might be thinking. If I'm McDavid, I'd be looking at what the team had when he got here, and what they have now and I'd feel pretty frustrated. The management has done nothing to get him close to a Cup and now he's trending far behind where Gretzky or Crosby would be as other phenoms. He's not yet way behind Lemieux, but the Penguins of the 80s/90s didn't have to deal with a salary cap.

I just think it's ridiculous to complain about a player not speaking his mind when you're a media guy who'll absolutely carve that same player if he actually does say anything. Remember, this is the same Steve Simmons who was complaining that Kessel was being immature for this photo:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/steve-simmons-thinks-phil-k essel-petty-stanley-cup-hot-dog-photo-160135959.html

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Previous Topic:2018-19 Puck Drop Preview: Edmonton Oilers
Next Topic:Random Oilers Trivia
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca