This day on July 6
Acquired: Daniel Tjarnqvist (2006)
Departed: Ty Conklin (2006) Toby Petersen (2007) Brad Winchester (2007)

Happy Birthday To: Djwolfman, wolfman, OilFanAlways, Doushokutoaoiro, Dannycaper

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Any confidence in this organization?Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Any confidence in this organization? [message #709503]
Sun, 18 February 2018 10:39 Go to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

I hate to say this, however I have ZERO confidence that the team is going to get through this trade deadline and the balance of the year in a manner that inspires any hope for next year. I have a nagging suspicion that behind closed doors, there is a tonne of finger-pointing going on, people are focusing more on job-protection and deflection and little focus is being placed on effectively utilizing our assets in a positive way.

I might be wrong, however I’m expecting bad trade results at this deadline, Maroon NOT coming back (despite all the rumours about resigning after the rental) and a whole bunch of meaningless job protection audio and video clips this offseason.

How are others feeling about this situation? Do others have faith?

[Updated on: Sun, 18 February 2018 20:19]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709505 is a reply to message #709503 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

I don't know how anyone could have confidence at this point. I expected a step back this year, but they took a step back and fell into a well.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709506 is a reply to message #709503 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Confidence is hard to come by after watching the degeneration of the team from last season. All star goal tending would do a lot to improve things but other than that there are no magic cures. I had them pegged as at least making the playoffs for years to come after last season even though a huge part of their success was the unsustainable goal tending of Talbot and the great year McConner had. A fresh face and message behind the bench is a must I think after watching this thing toboggan to the bottom again to the point that the players don't seem to be invested in winning anymore.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709508 is a reply to message #709506 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

No confidence whatsoever.

Building through the draft... one first overall pick at a time.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709517 is a reply to message #709508 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrean  is currently offline Adrean

No Cups

jerekybeef wrote on Sun, 18 February 2018 11:56

No confidence whatsoever.

Building through the draft... one first overall pick at a time.

....until Chia trades them away Fight

benv wrote on Thu, 02 November 2017 Adrean wins his first Survivor title!
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 Mighty Adrean is a two time champion
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 19 February 2020 For the third time Adam's Dad stands victorious

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709511 is a reply to message #709503 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeff340  is currently offline jeff340

No Cups

I think its pretty simple. Just answer these 2 questions.

1. Would you be willing to swap the entire Oilers roster for the roster of the best team in the league right now, Las Vegas?

2. Would you be willing to swap the entire coaching and management staff of the Oilers with the coaching and management staff of Las Vegas?

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709512 is a reply to message #709511 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

jeff340 wrote on Sun, 18 February 2018 12:13

1. Would you be willing to swap the entire Oilers roster for the roster of the best team in the league right now, Las Vegas?

2. Would you be willing to swap the entire coaching and management staff of the Oilers with the coaching and management staff of Las Vegas?

1. No.
2. In a heartbeat.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709540 is a reply to message #709512 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Rewind the clock to TMac’s San Jose years though. We all had thought he was going to be a massive upgrade on what we had.

How much of this coaching and how much is the organization as a whole? Players, coaches, management, owners... the whole rotten enchilada?

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709546 is a reply to message #709540 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 18 February 2018 19:21

Rewind the clock to TMac’s San Jose years though. We all had thought he was going to be a massive upgrade on what we had.

How much of this coaching and how much is the organization as a whole? Players, coaches, management, owners... the whole rotten enchilada?

I'm keeping the torches away from players n coaches for now. Management didn't give either a decent enough roster with Eberle gone, Sekera injured, etc. Management wear this season, IMO. Owner for allowing the gong show to continue.

Contrast to last season where we were lucky injury wise. Everything was all firing on all cylinders and it was glorious.

This season we gave up top line talent and didn't have the depth to deal with injuries. That's management doing a half assed job.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 February 2018 22:45]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709519 is a reply to message #709511 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
messier11  is currently offline messier11

No Cups

jeff340 wrote on Sun, 18 February 2018 13:13

I think this sums it up, good post jeff340.

I would not trade our team (players) away straight up for any other roster, I still believe in their talent level.

I believe the problem lies directly in management all the way up from the coaching staff through to the owner...I'll would bet my entire year's salary that if we could get rid of Katz - assistant coaching that this would be a real team within a year.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709539 is a reply to message #709519 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Zero confidence in ownership and management. Period. Katz, Nicholson, Lowe, Chia, MacT. None. I don’t want any player changes. It’s rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709547 is a reply to message #709511 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

1 Cup

jeff340 wrote on Sun, 18 February 2018 11:13

1. Can I keep #'s 97, 98, 29, 25, and 6 whilst trading the rest for another team minus their top 3 forwards and top two d? With Vegas it would take out Marchesault, Perron, Karlsson, Shmidt and Miller. I do that deal.

2. Only if there is a former NHL player who won a Stanley Cup in Edmonton in the 80's on their management staff. (joke!)

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709513 is a reply to message #709503 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Just to put some clarity in how bad this team is, the Canucks just beat Boston 6-1.

If you have the best player in the league, how did the Oilers manage to get this bad.

Its all roster.

Which means Management.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709514 is a reply to message #709513 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

What's happening in Toronto was the promise in Edmonton a few years back. ( Oil change etc ) A fast entertaining, skilled team. We bought the hype because it really did look like it was going to happen. Those promising young players were really good players. You look at Toronto mangement ( especially player evaluation ) and coaching and therein lies the difference. Chiarelli is not up to speed, maybe never has been, just got lucky in Boston until it caught up to him and then rode that to a nice contract with the Oilers. We have squandered so much talent already and unfortunatly there's no end in sight given who is making the decisions.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709518 is a reply to message #709503 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 18 February 2018 10:39

I hate to say this, however I have ZERO confidence that the team is going to get through this trade deadline and the balance of the year in a manner that installs any hope for next year. I have a nagging suspicion that behind closed doors, there is a tonne of finger-pointing going on, people are focusing more on job-protection and deflection and little focus is being placed on effectively utilizing our assets in a positive way.

I might be wrong, however I’m expecting bad trade results at this deadline, Maroon NOT coming back (despite all the rumours about resigning after the rental) and a whole bunch of meaningless job protection audio and video clips this offseason.

Coach that wants certain players to play his stupid sit on every lead game plan and obsesses over every mistake, seemly biased more against skill players that aren't prototypical Canadian hero types.

GM that loses every trade with any significant pieces and doesn't understand the direction the league is moving in.

Upper management that is happy to blame players for all the teams problems.

Really, how could anyone think this org isn't in a position to build a winner?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709541 is a reply to message #709518 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

And yet, some people have not just retained their jobs through this debacle... they have been promoted as well.

How in the F does Kevin Lowe still have a job with this team? His reverse-Midas touch permeates everything associated with this club. If I worked with him and he offered advice, I’d tell him that to go take a flying... you finish it.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709542 is a reply to message #709541 ]
Sun, 18 February 2018 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

When I die I want my body thrown down a bobsleigh track. Give my friends something cool to watch.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709559 is a reply to message #709542 ]
Mon, 19 February 2018 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Ha ha ha... awesome. I appreciate the levity.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709570 is a reply to message #709542 ]
Mon, 19 February 2018 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Sun, 18 February 2018 20:41

When I die I want my body thrown down a bobsleigh track. Give my friends something cool to watch.

Cool idea actually.

Even better if you are brain dead.

That way no rigamortis. Looks like you’re still alive for the inevitable fiery crash

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709580 is a reply to message #709570 ]
Tue, 20 February 2018 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Mon, 19 February 2018 18:53

Babaganoosh wrote on Sun, 18 February 2018 20:41

Cool idea actually.

Even better if you are brain dead.

That way no rigamortis. Looks like you’re still alive for the inevitable fiery crash

I'm a Oiler fan. I'm already brain dead.
That moment you feel like a douche for exposing your weekend at burnies dreams and it's not even in the Olympic thread. Hope that random crap brightened someone's day.

PS can we use one to send the OBC outta town when the time comes.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 February 2018 00:24]

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709555 is a reply to message #709503 ]
Mon, 19 February 2018 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

Does a lack of confidence qualify as "any"?

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709584 is a reply to message #709503 ]
Tue, 20 February 2018 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
George  is currently offline George

No Cups

I think there is a strong case to be made that Tambellini was the second best GM in Oilers' history.

That's not an organization I have confidence in.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709585 is a reply to message #709584 ]
Tue, 20 February 2018 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

George wrote on Tue, 20 February 2018 03:14

I think there is a strong case to be made that Tambellini was the second best GM in Oilers' history.

Honestly the second best has to be Lowe. Early 00's teams were always competitive on a shoe string budget. Always in the hunt despite trading our best players every deadline. A run too the finals. Too bad the last ten years ruined that legacy.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709588 is a reply to message #709585 ]
Tue, 20 February 2018 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
George  is currently offline George

No Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Tue, 20 February 2018 04:10

Honestly the second best has to be Lowe. Early 00's teams were always competitive on a shoe string budget. Always in the hunt despite trading our best players every deadline. A run too the finals. Too bad the last ten years ruined that legacy.

I’d say Lowe and Tambellini are close to being tied for number two. The early Lowe years were pretty good, all things considered, and he made one of the best deals in franchise history in acquiring Pronger. But I’ll always remember him for his later GM career when he lost the plot and sent Pronger away for next to nothing, demanded compensation from Comrie, and made ridiculous offers to Hossa, Vanek, and Nylander.

Tambo was just… nothing.

Whichever way, I’d put MacTavish and Chiarelli at 4 and 5, respectively.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709589 is a reply to message #709585 ]
Tue, 20 February 2018 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Tue, 20 February 2018 04:10

Strong disagree. Lowe took a very good team gifted to him by the EIG and Sather and managed to keep the total points level for 5 years despite the invention of the loser point and 4 expansion teams. No no, the generation of decline started with Lowe's unearned rise through the organization. He was awful. We were just too stupid to realize it.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709593 is a reply to message #709503 ]
Tue, 20 February 2018 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Nope. Succinct enough?

The Reinhart trade was the one that made me think, der?

The fact that everyone from the failing years is still working for the organization (except for Bucky), they have been let go and rehired under another title that still directly affects things.

Katz is shelling out money after money to look after buyout contracts and then hires his old pals. Passing every financial mistake to the customer.

So Chia gets fired, who replaces him? Gretzky in waiting? I hope not, I don't want to ever hate on him also I have concerns about his sobriety to the point he's sober enough to make moves anyways.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709632 is a reply to message #709593 ]
Tue, 20 February 2018 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 20 February 2018 09:50

Nope. Succinct enough?

The Reinhart trade was the one that made me think, der?

Hey hey hey now!

They got 29 subpar NHL games and 1 assist out of that move.

Go Wolves Go!

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709642 is a reply to message #709593 ]
Tue, 20 February 2018 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Gretzky in waiting? I hope not, I don't want to ever hate on him also I have concerns about his sobriety to the point he's sober enough to make moves anyways.

Why are you concerned? First I've ever heard of that.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709643 is a reply to message #709642 ]
Tue, 20 February 2018 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Tue, 20 February 2018 22:21

Gretzky in waiting? I hope not, I don't want to ever hate on him also I have concerns about his sobriety to the point he's sober enough to make moves anyways.

Which part? Gretzky being a future GM or Gretzky liking the sauce?

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709645 is a reply to message #709643 ]
Tue, 20 February 2018 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Second part.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709648 is a reply to message #709645 ]
Tue, 20 February 2018 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Tue, 20 February 2018 22:27

Second part.

I was told after one of the boys on the bus reunions a few years ago there were some concerns. Since then he's joined the Oilers and either is an old dude who looks drunk or and old dude that likes to drink. Either is fine, really. His life his choice.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709892 is a reply to message #709648 ]
Fri, 23 February 2018 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ramone  is currently offline Ramone

No Cups

Guy's clearly hammered most of the time he's interviewed. Like, obviously hammered: rosy faced, glassy eyed, and lightly slurring. If you're a drunk yourself or know a drunk well this is very obvious: I could be wrong but I really doubt it. That said, it's really his problem at the moment, and nobody's business. He's made tons of money and doesn't have to work a normal job, and has to deal with people hassling him every five minutes, so who can blame him for lubricating daily life? He's Gretzky, y'know. Plus maybe when he doesn't have to deal with the 100,000th tiresome public appearance of his life he drinks less. So no worries really.

On the other hand, when he inevitably ends up GMing the Oilers, you'd hope he's not half-snapped all the time. Coulda maybe done business like that 45 years ago, but people are all persnickety now. And things move a little quicker. Hard to keep up if you're befogged in any way.

You give me money
Because you're stupid
That's NHL

-The Dwarf

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709647 is a reply to message #709643 ]
Tue, 20 February 2018 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 20 February 2018 22:25

Babaganoosh wrote on Tue, 20 February 2018 22:21

Which part? Gretzky being a future GM or Gretzky liking the sauce?

https://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/c_limit,w_680/fl_lossy,pg_1,q_auto/vncdorpva5t4at05mnzl.jpg

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709908 is a reply to message #709647 ]
Sat, 24 February 2018 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Gretz looks like he's a half-second from unloading on your shoes, wiping his mouth and stumbling away like nothing happened.

That man is the definition of torqued. He looks like he has cataracts, he's so wasted.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 February 2018 00:16]

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709706 is a reply to message #709503 ]
Wed, 21 February 2018 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 18 February 2018 10:39

I hate to say this, however I have ZERO confidence that the team is going to get through this trade deadline and the balance of the year in a manner that inspires any hope for next year. I have a nagging suspicion that behind closed doors, there is a tonne of finger-pointing going on, people are focusing more on job-protection and deflection and little focus is being placed on effectively utilizing our assets in a positive way.

NO.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709825 is a reply to message #709706 ]
Fri, 23 February 2018 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Chiarelli "media availability" coming up Friday morning at 10 AM MST....not sure if this link will work, but here goes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0GVZlzsnng

...any predictions? .....more magic beans coming our way? stay the course? .....more Back To The Future signings?...

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709826 is a reply to message #709825 ]
Fri, 23 February 2018 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 23 February 2018 09:57

Chiarelli "media availability" coming up Friday morning at 10 AM MST....not sure if this link will work, but here goes...

...any predictions? .....more magic beans coming our way? stay the course? .....more Back To The Future signings?...

Death by a million-billion cuts

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709829 is a reply to message #709826 ]
Fri, 23 February 2018 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

....lots of shoulder shrugging from the guy who is trying hard to make the worst dressed list....big waste of time, IMHO....

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709830 is a reply to message #709826 ]
Fri, 23 February 2018 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 23 February 2018 10:04

I'm sure bold moves are coming. Bold! Or something. Who cares? The one thing we know for certain is the Oilers will screw up whatever they do.

Re: Any confidence in this organization? [message #709833 is a reply to message #709830 ]
Fri, 23 February 2018 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 23 February 2018 10:11

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 23 February 2018 10:04

I'm sure bold moves are coming. Bold! Or something. Who cares? The one thing we know for certain is the Oilers will screw up whatever they do.

HARD decisions I think he said. We have graduated from BOLD I guess.

Which is damn scary to hear.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #62)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #62)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca