F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Season Ticket Holder (tier 1) Breakfast
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers Season Ticket Holder (tier 1) Breakfast [message #707820]
Wed, 24 January 2018 20:51 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Grabbed this from hf. Guess the ticket holders were hosted today.

A summary from Heather Marginet (@margih99)

Quote:

- My impressions were not positive. Vague talk of they have a plan, and overachieving last year and underachieving this year
- A lot of double speak, assurances that a plan was in place etc. Obviously I didn’t expect him to lay out what his entire plan was step by step...
- Nicholson lauded Chiarelli and why he hired him. He has confidence in his plan and direction. Blah, blah, blah

- Chiarelli loves Mclellan but did talk about special teams and how coaching was part of that issue...directly said that Paul Coffey Would be helping to coach the PP.
- I did get the impression that changes are a possibility in the coaching ranks (possibly a change in assistant coaches). Obviously not said but where blame was admitted
- Chiarelli also mentioned that the coaches were meeting when we were there and had started at 6:00 am.

- Talked about how they were happy with the core but that doesn’t mean that there might not be major changes (there is the double speak).
- Nicholson and Chiarelli both felt the core was excellent but also agreed there were significant holes that would be difficult to fill at the deadline
- Talk of depth coming up through the system. I would agree defensively there is some depth but forward depth?
- My ? was “there are significant holes especially on the wing that have not been adequately filled by Caggiula, Slepyshev et el, how do you fill them with the cap situation”?
- His answer was the cap was rising, it will be difficult but it can be done. He didn’t add veterans last year because they would have needed extra yrs on contract.
- Chiarelli also mentioned they had added of changed 8 members of their amateur scouts since he started as That was a significant weakness in the organization

- Nicholson and Chiarelli didn’t look happy or dismissive.
- In fact Chiarelli looked distinctly uncomfortable, weary, concerned. A guy that looks like he hasn’t had a lot of sleep.
- I don’t think anyone is “comfortable” and they shouldn’t be

- Keep in mind that they know that the base isn’t happy and they may have just been trying to paint a positive spin (thus the double speak)
- But the impression was the exact opposite.

- Some positives. The oilers will be bidding for the 2021 WJC. As well as the all-star game and draft but want the district done.
- Something new. The oilers are building an outdoor rink that can also be used in the summer and plan to have NHL games there.
- Not sure where? How? Etc and Nicholson didn’t elaborate
- For the outdoor rink I think Nicholson Might have misspoke and meant NHL Practices or scrimmages

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Season Ticket Holder (tier 1) Breakfast [message #707822 is a reply to message #707820 ]
Wed, 24 January 2018 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

here is someone elaborating more on the "plan" that Chia has sold to Nicholson:

From Lowetide blog
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUXN2hmVAAAXqNM.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 24 January 2018 23:45]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers Season Ticket Holder (tier 1) Breakfast [message #707823 is a reply to message #707822 ]
Wed, 24 January 2018 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2018 22:31

From Lowetide blog
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUXN2hmVAAAXqNM.jpg:large

Rarely overrides them? So it's happened before? I can't even begin to fathom what a vetoed trade looks like.

Re: Oilers Season Ticket Holder (tier 1) Breakfast [message #707826 is a reply to message #707823 ]
Wed, 24 January 2018 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

ziltoid wrote on Wed, 24 January 2018 22:45

Rarely overrides them? So it's happened before? I can't even begin to fathom what a vetoed trade looks like.

Maybe my post there belongs more in a speculation thread since it's basically 4th hand info :)

The Katz thing might be out of context or just bull. The contender in 5 years thing though, hehe, that I could honestly see Chia selling, considering the results of his work so far. Not much else he could say now that would seem at all realistic if he was still allowed to be in charge for the foreseeable future.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers Season Ticket Holder (tier 1) Breakfast [message #707841 is a reply to message #707826 ]
Thu, 25 January 2018 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2018 23:46

Maybe my post there belongs more in a speculation thread since it's basically 4th hand info :)

The Katz thing might be out of context or just bull. The contender in 5 years thing though, hehe, that I could honestly see Chia selling, considering the results of his work so far. Not much else he could say now that would seem at all realistic if he was still allowed to be in charge for the foreseeable future.

...Katz seems more concerned with bringing back the Oilers of his younger years that won over this city with Stanley Cups and charisma, rather than building a legacy team of his own....

Re: Oilers Season Ticket Holder (tier 1) Breakfast [message #707842 is a reply to message #707841 ]
Thu, 25 January 2018 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 25 January 2018 08:35

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2018 23:46

...Katz seems more concerned with bringing back the Oilers of his younger years that won over this city with Stanley Cups and charisma, rather than building a legacy team of his own....

The sad thing is that last year's (pre-deadline) roster really wasn't that far off from being a contending roster. Sure, they over-performed thanks to some favourable luck, but the team was 2-3 mid-level pieces away. A #2 RHD + backup goalie + cheap Russell replacement, combined with the usual post-season tweaks to the bottom 6, and this team is probably near the top of the conference... even with the current coaching staff. The fact that PC took a team that was close to being ready and, in a single offseason, set it back 5+ years is, truly, astounding.

Re: Oilers Season Ticket Holder (tier 1) Breakfast [message #707827 is a reply to message #707822 ]
Thu, 25 January 2018 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I’m not that concerned about Katz vetoing player contracts. He’s the boss and he has to write the cheques, so it sounds fair to me that he gets to see them. I wish he’d vetoed the Russell one though...maybe the Lucic one too...

The 5-year plan is terrible though. So it’s going to be the 8th season of McDavid’s career before Chiarelli thinks we will have the right pieces to win? That’s the worst plan ever. He does realize that Crosby was in a Finals in Season 3, right? Both Kane and Toews were both still on rookie deals when they won.

If the plan is that it’s going to be another five bleeping years before the GM thinks we will have a team capable of winning, then you have to fire that GM now and get a guy who has a little more sense of urgency. Five years. What a joke. I wish I could tell that to Chiarelli’s face.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Oilers Season Ticket Holder (tier 1) Breakfast [message #707829 is a reply to message #707827 ]
Thu, 25 January 2018 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Reminds me a lot of previous regime breakfasts over the last decade.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers Season Ticket Holder (tier 1) Breakfast [message #707830 is a reply to message #707822 ]
Thu, 25 January 2018 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2018 22:31

From Lowetide blog
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUXN2hmVAAAXqNM.jpg

This team makes me want to punch myself in the nuts. HARD!!!!!!!

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Oilers Season Ticket Holder (tier 1) Breakfast [message #707843 is a reply to message #707830 ]
Thu, 25 January 2018 08:54 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

6 Cups

I would be interesting to know who they call the "core". I see the core as McDavid, Leon, Nurse(move himself into that this season), Puljujarvi. Maybe Nuge. But regardless, if that is who they call the core, then I agree with them. I am happy with it as well. Every one of them is young and have their best hockey ahead of them.

I am sure people will carve me but I wouldn't fire the coach. You can't keep firing coach after coach like they have done when things don't go perfectly. At some point you have to allow a coach to grow with a team. Some of the coaches decisions will be dictated on who the GM gives him. I think Chia rightly or wrongly made some bets on some guys that haven't panned out. I also think some players have grossly underachieved. So if as a coach you are lacking the horses or your horses aren't giving you what they have, it can limit you. I also think that at some point you have to shine the light on the players and put some accountability on them. At times, it's pretty easy just to blame the coach and let the players off the hook. If every player to a man, including McDavid, was playing to their usual level, they would be way higher up in the standings and all of a sudden, the coach looks fine. Hell, if even Talbot had an OK starting goalie season, the team would be higher up and the coach looks a lot better. I do think the assistants have to go. You can't go into next season underachieving like they have and a lot of it being on the special teams with the same guy. For whatever reason, the message these guys are sending isn't sinking in.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #49)
Next Topic:Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #48)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca