This day on December 2
Acquired: Michel Picard (1999)

Happy Birthday To: Tommy, mightyreasoner, ilovewhyte, shoop

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » How bad will Chia's next big move be?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707290]
Tue, 16 January 2018 22:21 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

How bad will Chia next big move be?[ 51 vote(s) ]
1.Awful turned up to 11 9 / 18%
2.Bad, but not as bad as his work last summer 15 / 29%
3.Pretty even actually 7 / 14%
4.Slight improvement to the team 7 / 14%
5.How dare you doubt the Chia, it's gonna be awesome! 3 / 6%
6.He'll be fired before he can do anything big 10 / 20%

So, lots of rumblings now leading up to the trade deadline.

Not sure how everyone else is, but I try not to think about Oilers trades anymore. There is no fun, because any good trade with significant pieces that you can come up with is unrealistic with Chia at the helm IMO. He has pulled off some good small moves, but anything big is lateral at best (and usually much worse).

We clearly have some significant holes in the lineup. I hope by now he has realised he needs another top 4 RHD, someone that can move the puck and play on the PP. And that he needs some speed and skill on the wings. And no doubt the pressure is on now to turn this ship around in a hurry. Not sure we have time to just sit and wait. So, I would think at some point before next season starts that Chia needs to make a splash.

Question is, how bad will it be?

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Send a private message to this user  

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707301 is a reply to message #707290 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

If he, in fact, turned down Letang for Nugent-Hopkins as the rumor says, then maybe there's hope? I voted, bad, but not as bad as last summer. I still think he's going to do something stupid with Nuge or Drai and it will be bad, but I don't think he could be worse than last summer if he tried.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707302 is a reply to message #707301 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

What is the point of this poll? You know most people are going to pick it will be brutal or he will be fired just because.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 January 2018 08:24]

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707303 is a reply to message #707302 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

A better poll would be do people think the Oilers will trade off any of their UFA's. That is actually something that people can get into interesting and worth while debate. I personally think the Oilers have dug themselves too big of a hole to make it into the playoffs but I do think they are capable of going on a run and getting back into the mix. They used to go on runs all the time in the days where Horcoff and Smyth were the big 2 and those teams weren't overly talented. All it would take is Talbot getting hot, which he is more than capable of doing or the PP taking off which given all the talent they have, that could happen too.

The Oilers have Maroon, Letestu, Cammalleri and Auvitu as UFA's.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707305 is a reply to message #707303 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 08:26

A better poll would be do people think the Oilers will trade off any of their UFA's. That is actually something that people can get into interesting and worth while debate. I personally think the Oilers have dug themselves too big of a hole to make it into the playoffs but I do think they are capable of going on a run and getting back into the mix. They used to go on runs all the time in the days where Horcoff and Smyth were the big 2 and those teams weren't overly talented. All it would take is Talbot getting hot, which he is more than capable of doing or the PP taking off which given all the talent they have, that could happen too.

That sounds like a unanimous poll, and not a very interesting one. The Oilers are going to trade any UFA they can for anything they can get for them. Unfortunately, there will be no market for at least a couple of those players, but Maroon will certainly go for some underwhelming return.

I know that you prefer to be extremely supportive of management at all times and only criticize players (you could have a job in YEG sports media if you move up to Edmonton!) but I think it's fair to ask just how much damage is Panicky Pete going to do, knowing A) he's on the hot seat - which will only increase his panic level and B) that he's cap-strapped, which as we all know he's struggled with managing before. You could also add C) he's got a couple big assets who are good young former top-3 picks, and one of his specialties in his career has been giving away young, producing players who were picked in the top-5 and haven't yet reached 25 in trades that are lopsided in favour of the other side.

Out of interest, what did you vote for?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707306 is a reply to message #707305 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 08:46

That sounds like a unanimous poll, and not a very interesting one. The Oilers are going to trade any UFA they can for anything they can get for them. Unfortunately, there will be no market for at least a couple of those players, but Maroon will certainly go for some underwhelming return.

I know that you prefer to be extremely supportive of management at all times and only criticize players (you could have a job in YEG sports media if you move up to Edmonton!) but I think it's fair to ask just how much damage is Panicky Pete going to do, knowing A) he's on the hot seat - which will only increase his panic level and B) that he's cap-strapped, which as we all know he's struggled with managing before. You could also add C) he's got a couple big assets who are good young former top-3 picks, and one of his specialties in his career has been giving away young, producing players who were picked in the top-5 and haven't yet reached 25 in trades that are lopsided in favour of the other side.

I have on many occasions made comments about being unhappy with the coaches. For the GM, I tried to keep a level head. I have tried to keep a wait and see approach to any move he has made instead of immediately pissing on a move before the ink has even dried on the paper like some in here prefer to do because I can't see in to the future as hard as I try. I have made comments about the GM and all the bets he made, some of his trades, missed opportunities and how some trades flat out didn't work. But because I am not miserable all the time and verbally abuse the management on an hourly basis, you think that means I am all sunshine and rainbows all the time. I guess you are entitled to your opinion but I think it's grossly incorrect when talking about me.

If you must know and I am sure you will rip me for it. I picked option #4. The reason I said that is I don't see a "big" move coming. A big move in my mind would be trading a player like Nuge or Lucic or Russell or Klef. I don't see those happening for a variety of reasons depending on the player.

I don't see trading away their first as a "big move". Like I said,I think the Oilers will go on a run. It's not me being "Mr. Sunshine and Rainbows" like you think I am, I just look at the team. McDavid has been good but has he gone on a crazy run where he has scored 3, 4, 5 pts in a bunch of games? Nope. Coming off the break, I could see him going supernova. I have yet to see Talbot go on any kind of insane run where he looks unbeatable like he did last year. I have yet to see Drai go on a big run like he did at times last year. The PP hasn't gone on a run like it did last year. If any of those things happen which could easily happen, the Oilers could string together some wins and rise up the standings. So I could totally see them just missing the playoffs and that first being a mid rounder. So if they traded their first and insert some bit player, for a legit NHLer, that improves their team. If they traded away insert bit player for someone else, that could improve their team.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 January 2018 09:33]

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707317 is a reply to message #707305 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

See I don't quite understand the thinking from media/fans that we absolutely HAVE TO move Maroon at the trade deadline just because we're out of the playoffs this year. We've seen with Eberle what it's like to try and replace decent production on the wings and it's not easy.

I think this team is a fairly solid team that's under performed this year, been inconsistent and maybe hasn't had some of the puck luck/good goaltending we were getting last year, however I think next year could be a solid rebound year for us with the right moves being made but I feel trading a productive NHL player and flipping him for futures ultimately takes us back from where we want to go instead of forwards.

I understand the cap concerns but with the cap rumoured to be going up next year I think we could afford him on 3 or 4 year deal between $4-5M/year. Personally I think he likes being here and by all accounts is fairly close with McDavid.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707318 is a reply to message #707317 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 13:01

See I don't quite understand the thinking from media/fans that we absolutely HAVE TO move Maroon at the trade deadline just because we're out of the playoffs this year. We've seen with Eberle what it's like to try and replace decent production on the wings and it's not easy.

I think this team is a fairly solid team that's under performed this year, been inconsistent and maybe hasn't had some of the puck luck/good goaltending we were getting last year, however I think next year could be a solid rebound year for us with the right moves being made but I feel trading a productive NHL player and flipping him for futures ultimately takes us back from where we want to go instead of forwards.

I understand the cap concerns but with the cap rumoured to be going up next year I think we could afford him on 3 or 4 year deal between $4-5M/year. Personally I think he likes being here and by all accounts is fairly close with McDavid.

As much as I like Maroon, I don't see how any team with the way the NHL is going that you can have Maroon and Lucic in your top 6. You need more speed. I think there is value in having one of them in your top 6 but not 2. Lucic is not going anywhere so something has to give.

So if the NHL is going with more speed and you have the realization that you can't have Maroon and Lucic in your top 6, you have to let him walk. So you might as well get something for him. With Maroon's dirt cheap contract and game that is good in the playoffs, I see him as being a very hot commodity for a lot of teams. So I think you can get pretty good value for him.

Of course if Maroon goes to the Oilers and says I will happily resign for the exact same money which is 2 mill, then all bets are off but not a chance he does that. Why would he.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707321 is a reply to message #707317 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

This is Maroon's chance to make millions. If I'm his agent, I'm telling him every conversation that given the last two years, he's going to have the opportunity to get some decent dollars and term in the free agency market this summer.

I don't fully believe the argument you can't have him and Lucic on the same team. It was perfectly fine last year. You just need better right wingers if those are your two left wingers, and the right wing is a smoking hole on the Oilers right now. If it wasn't for Maroon's contract situation, I'd be happy to bring him back, but the Oilers are going to have some issues with cap management going forward, and so unless Maroon is happy to sign a shorter contract for less term than he's likely to get elsewhere, then he's not going to be here either way, and I'd rather get something for him at the deadline than watch him walk for nothing in the summer.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707323 is a reply to message #707321 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 14:08

This is Maroon's chance to make millions. If I'm his agent, I'm telling him every conversation that given the last two years, he's going to have the opportunity to get some decent dollars and term in the free agency market this summer.

I don't fully believe the argument you can't have him and Lucic on the same team. It was perfectly fine last year. You just need better right wingers if those are your two left wingers, and the right wing is a smoking hole on the Oilers right now. If it wasn't for Maroon's contract situation, I'd be happy to bring him back, but the Oilers are going to have some issues with cap management going forward, and so unless Maroon is happy to sign a shorter contract for less term than he's likely to get elsewhere, then he's not going to be here either way, and I'd rather get something for him at the deadline than watch him walk for nothing in the summer.

If the Oilers can get something of value for him and know they won't be able to meet his contract demands then sure, trade him. But if we're going to get a scrap heap draft pick then I keep him and roll the dice. This team doesn't need another second round draft pick that might develop in 2021 this team needs NHL players who can play now.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707324 is a reply to message #707323 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 14:14

If the Oilers can get something of value for him and know they won't be able to meet his contract demands then sure, trade him. But if we're going to get a scrap heap draft pick then I keep him and roll the dice. This team doesn't need another second round draft pick that might develop in 2021 this team needs NHL players who can play now.

If you're sure you can't get to where he wants in salary, isn't a 2nd rounder better than nothing? It's not like we're making the playoffs anyhow...

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707325 is a reply to message #707324 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 14:16

If you're sure you can't get to where he wants in salary, isn't a 2nd rounder better than nothing? It's not like we're making the playoffs anyhow...

That's a big if. I'm sure (well, mostly sure) Chia and the agent have discussed salary expectations. If they're anything close to reasonable I keep the player. This team needs players, not hope-filled 2nd round picks around 50th overall that will inevitably be wasted.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707326 is a reply to message #707325 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 14:24

That's a big if. I'm sure (well, mostly sure) Chia and the agent have discussed salary expectations. If they're anything close to reasonable I keep the player. This team needs players, not hope-filled 2nd round picks around 50th overall that will inevitably be wasted.

I just think it's inevitable that someone will give him $3MM+ and four or more years, and I don't think the Oilers can afford that. He'll also no doubt get a little no-move protection, and while Chia would absolutely do that, I don't think we should be committing to more of those right now.

The 50th round pick is a long shot, but if he's going to sail off in to the sunset anyhow, at least we'd have a chance...

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707329 is a reply to message #707326 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 14:46

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 14:24

I just think it's inevitable that someone will give him $3MM+ and four or more years, and I don't think the Oilers can afford that. He'll also no doubt get a little no-move protection, and while Chia would absolutely do that, I don't think we should be committing to more of those right now.

The 50th round pick is a long shot, but if he's going to sail off in to the sunset anyhow, at least we'd have a chance...

I think you're engaging in some baseless speculation if you're stating he'll get 12 over 4 with something of a NMC. Frankly, that wouldn't be a bad contract, except for the NMC, 3 million dollars for a guy that can play and can score isn't terrible considering he's a 1.5 hit now.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707331 is a reply to message #707329 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 15:35

I think you're engaging in some baseless speculation if you're stating he'll get 12 over 4 with something of a NMC. Frankly, that wouldn't be a bad contract, except for the NMC, 3 million dollars for a guy that can play and can score isn't terrible considering he's a 1.5 hit now.

I am engaging in baseless speculation, simply because I'm too lazy to look up what most comparables would be. I'll give you a couple though:

Maroon scored 42 points a year ago, and is on pace for a similar number this year, despite a lot less time with McDavid.

One data point we would have is Troy Brouwer. Another big, physical forward who scored 43 & 39 points before hitting UFA, where he got a four-year $4.5MM contract from the Flames with a full NTC in years and a modified one in years 3&4.

That contract was signed two summers ago, and Brouwer had a longer track record of putting up points than our man Pat.

Second comparable is Patrick Eaves. Like Maroon, he's a bit of a late bloomer and his last 3 years before UFA are 27 points (47 games), 17 points (54 games), and then 54 points. Last season is a pretty clear outlier but he also had a solid playoffs (6 pts in 7 games).

Last summer was a little quieter for depth players, and he signed with the team he was on prior to testing free agency, but he got 3 years at $3.150MM with a modified NTC in all three years.

I don't think the Oilers are going to be able to go to $3MM on Maroon and address other needs within the team's salary cap structure without making at least one big trade - think Nuge or Draisaitl. Both of those guys are way more important to the team.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707332 is a reply to message #707331 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 16:20

I am engaging in baseless speculation, simply because I'm too lazy to look up what most comparables would be. I'll give you a couple though:

Maroon scored 42 points a year ago, and is on pace for a similar number this year, despite a lot less time with McDavid.

One data point we would have is Troy Brouwer. Another big, physical forward who scored 43 & 39 points before hitting UFA, where he got a four-year $4.5MM contract from the Flames with a full NTC in years and a modified one in years 3&4.

That contract was signed two summers ago, and Brouwer had a longer track record of putting up points than our man Pat.

Second comparable is Patrick Eaves. Like Maroon, he's a bit of a late bloomer and his last 3 years before UFA are 27 points (47 games), 17 points (54 games), and then 54 points. Last season is a pretty clear outlier but he also had a solid playoffs (6 pts in 7 games).

Last summer was a little quieter for depth players, and he signed with the team he was on prior to testing free agency, but he got 3 years at $3.150MM with a modified NTC in all three years.

I don't think the Oilers are going to be able to go to $3MM on Maroon and address other needs within the team's salary cap structure without making at least one big trade - think Nuge or Draisaitl. Both of those guys are way more important to the team.

I accept your comparables.

Do you think the Oilers can replace Maroon's scoring by spending less than what Maroon is going to get? I have my doubts. I don't want the team to trade a pending UFA for magic beans (again) and not replace what he brought to the line up. Again.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707333 is a reply to message #707332 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 16:33

Do you think the Oilers can replace Maroon's scoring by spending less than what Maroon is going to get? I have my doubts. I don't want the team to trade a pending UFA for magic beans (again) and not replace what he brought to the line up. Again.

I accept the argument you make too. I'm worried we may be screwed. Unable to afford to keep the band together, but also unable to afford to bring in a replacement bass player, or to upgrade our crappy drummer. Or to find that keyboard player we've been missing all along. We have got a fantastic lead singer though!!!

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707334 is a reply to message #707333 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 15:52

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 16:33

I accept the argument you make too. I'm worried we may be screwed. Unable to afford to keep the band together, but also unable to afford to bring in a replacement bass player, or to upgrade our crappy drummer. Or to find that keyboard player we've been missing all along. We have got a fantastic lead singer though!!!

I'm reminded of some wise words I heard once:

Quote:

I’m of the mindset that you can’t have a bunch of defencemen making $4.0 million.You want some making $7.0 (million) and some making $1.0 (million).

And really, if you're going to pay Justin Schultz, Mark Fayne and Nikita Nikitin all around $4M, do you really need Jeff Petry?

I'm with CrusaderPi on this one, unless the ask for Maroon is astronomical, I'm not sure that the Oilers are going to be able to replace his production with someone cheaper. They tried that this year with Eberle and it's failed spectacularly. If cap room is needed, I'm shedding Letestu and Kassian long before I move Maroon.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ craig-mactavish-in-his-own-words-on-the-edmonton-oilers-defe nce

There are really some amazing quotes in that article:

Quote:

Nikita was playing better...He’s a top-four NHL defenceman.

Quote:

The potential there is absolutely in that group [with Erik Karlsson and Kris Letang]. I think that Justin has Norris Trophy potential and I don’t think that there are too many people who would disagree with me in that regard.

Quote:

Later on in the day we were able to add Keith Aulie, who we feel has an opportunity to be one of the players on a one-year deal that really enhances his value through this period.

Quote:

I’m reasonably comfortable going forward with Oscar and Justin and Nikita and Andrew and Mark Fayne.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 January 2018 18:33]

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707343 is a reply to message #707331 ]
Thu, 18 January 2018 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 16:20

I am of the opinion that on the open market, Maroon will get closer to Brouwer money. I would be shocked if he got anything starting with a 3. If I am Maroon this is my only chance to hit a homerun. contract wise.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707347 is a reply to message #707343 ]
Thu, 18 January 2018 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 18 January 2018 07:13

I am of the opinion that on the open market, Maroon will get closer to Brouwer money. I would be shocked if he got anything starting with a 3. If I am Maroon this is my only chance to hit a homerun. contract wise.

I would probaby be okay with Maroon on a 3x$4M contract. And that's as somebody who doesn't think he's ever going to score 27 goals again. I definitely wouldn't be putting any NTC or NMC in there. Could he get and extra year or $500k on the open market? Probably. But then that's the point of being a free agent and maroon gets to decide if thats worth it for him.

I don't think the Oilers should be operating from the premise that Maroon is for sure not going to be back. And I definitely don't think they can continue to shed 20 goal scorers, replace them with guys that score at half the rate, and just hope for the best.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 January 2018 09:26]

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707348 is a reply to message #707347 ]
Thu, 18 January 2018 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 18 January 2018 09:24

I would probaby be okay with Maroon on a 3x$4M contract. And that's as somebody who doesn't think he's ever going to score 27 goals again. I definitely wouldn't be putting any NTC or NMC in there. Could he get and extra year or $500k on the open market? Probably. But then that's the point of being a free agent and maroon gets to decide if thats worth it for him.

I don't think the Oilers should be operating from the premise that Maroon is for sure not going to be back. And I definitely don't think they can continue to shed 20 goal scorers, replace them with guys that score at half the rate, and just hope for the best.

I agree with you. If the Oilers can sign him to a nice number and it not being too long, I would happily have him back as I think he is a big part of the team, especially in the room. What concerns me about Maroon is the term. I am not a Lucic hater, I think he does bring value to the team but even I know the contract is too long and I even said it was too long when he signed it. But Lucic was just turned 28 when he signed it. Maroon will be 30 in April when he signs this next deal. So you can't go too long on him and I imagine that term for a guy his age will be HUGE. I would love to know what Maroon's ask is as I am sure they have at least traded initial numbers.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707349 is a reply to message #707347 ]
Thu, 18 January 2018 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I would probaby be okay with Maroon on a 3x$4M contract. I definitely wouldn't be putting any NTC or NMC in there. Could he get and extra year or $500k on the open market? Probably. But then that's the point of being a free agent.

To me it comes down to where the discussions are at. You hope the team's been proactive and had several conversations with Maroon's camp through this year - but you never know. Remember when Petry's agent actually had to come out to say that MacTavish hadn't even called to discuss contract extensions yet, three weeks before the trade deadline?

If the player is set on going to free agency, you should probably assume he's gone. Given his comparables, he's probably going to get coin and term (and a NMC) from someone. If he is going to be back, I think the conversations would have to have been really positive and be at least close to a contract at the deadline date.

I hate the idea of degrading at the wing further and I do fear that will happen. But I also think a GM has to be a realist and if the player is strongly leaning to free agency to get the biggest dollar he can, then it's better to get something for him at the deadline. Maroon's a player with value, and there will be nothing left for the team to play for at that point in this year.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707350 is a reply to message #707349 ]
Thu, 18 January 2018 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 18 January 2018 10:32

I hate the idea of degrading at the wing further and I do fear that will happen. But I also think a GM has to be a realist and if the player is strongly leaning to free agency to get the biggest dollar he can, then it's better to get something for him at the deadline. Maroon's a player with value, and there will be nothing left for the team to play for at that point in this year.

This is the corner they have been painted into. FA's are almost always over paid and while I also hope PC has had talks with the agent, you know the agent has already had talks to gauge the value on the open market.
I am not saying he gets Lucic money but a lot of teams are looking for a guy like Maroon, especially one who has shown he can have chemistry with a star Center.
Maroon is 5th scoring among LW UFA's under 30. Bailey will be the highest paid, Kane the biggest question mark?

Given the cap hell that starts next season I see almost no way Maroon stays with the Oilers. My best hope is they get a decent, almost NHL ready prospect for him at the deadline given I have zero faith that the team will do anything with extra picks.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707357 is a reply to message #707349 ]
Thu, 18 January 2018 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 18 January 2018 09:32

I would probaby be okay with Maroon on a 3x$4M contract. I definitely wouldn't be putting any NTC or NMC in there. Could he get and extra year or $500k on the open market? Probably. But then that's the point of being a free agent.

To me it comes down to where the discussions are at. You hope the team's been proactive and had several conversations with Maroon's camp through this year - but you never know. Remember when Petry's agent actually had to come out to say that MacTavish hadn't even called to discuss contract extensions yet, three weeks before the trade deadline?

If the player is set on going to free agency, you should probably assume he's gone. Given his comparables, he's probably going to get coin and term (and a NMC) from someone. If he is going to be back, I think the conversations would have to have been really positive and be at least close to a contract at the deadline date.

I don't think there has been any indication that Maroon is set on going to free agency, in fact I think his preference is to stay in Edmonton. We took him as cast off from Anaheim, the fans completely embraced him and we gave him top 6 minutes and a chance to play with the best player in the world who is very close with off the ice as are their gf's. Sometimes guys take a bit less money to play where they like and that might be the case here.

You used Eaves as a comparable who had 32 goals and 51 pts last year (better numbers than Maroon) before signing his 3 year deal for 3.150M/yr. That's less money than Cogliano is set to make and would be an excellent contract for Maroon.

They key is for management to draw their line in the sand and say this is what we're prepared to offer and if you accept it "great we'd love to keep you and if not then thanks for your service."

Then it's on the player to decide if he wants to take a bit less to play somewhere he likes or go all in for the max money on free agency. Instead of what happened with Russell where management convinced themselves that they couldn't afford to lose this player and overpaid in desperation to keep him regardless of cost/future implications.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707372 is a reply to message #707357 ]
Thu, 18 January 2018 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Thu, 18 January 2018 13:24

I don't think there has been any indication that Maroon is set on going to free agency, in fact I think his preference is to stay in Edmonton. We took him as cast off from Anaheim, the fans completely embraced him and we gave him top 6 minutes and a chance to play with the best player in the world who is very close with off the ice as are their gf's. Sometimes guys take a bit less money to play where they like and that might be the case here.

You used Eaves as a comparable who had 32 goals and 51 pts last year (better numbers than Maroon) before signing his 3 year deal for 3.150M/yr. That's less money than Cogliano is set to make and would be an excellent contract for Maroon.

They key is for management to draw their line in the sand and say this is what we're prepared to offer and if you accept it "great we'd love to keep you and if not then thanks for your service."

Then it's on the player to decide if he wants to take a bit less to play somewhere he likes or go all in for the max money on free agency. Instead of what happened with Russell where management convinced themselves that they couldn't afford to lose this player and overpaid in desperation to keep him regardless of cost/future implications.

That's definitely one of the problems here. We have management who has typically been taken to the woodshed on every negotiation the last couple of years, other than McDavid's, and even there, from the way MANAGEMENT framed it, McDavid himself walked them back from the woodshed and gave them a reprieve.

Eaves agreed pre-UFA to a deal (June 23rd). That usually does mean a player's taking some level of discount, because GMs spend like drunken sailors after July 1. The difference with Eaves is that he was no where close to a 51 point player before. That season sticks out - it's the only time in his career where he was above 32 points. There were some injury shortened seasons that impact that, but people don't usually give you much credit for the games you don't play.

Maroon is going to have posted back to back 40+ point seasons if he continues at his current pace, and he's going to do it this year without the same reliance on McDavid. He's almost certainly going to have some interest. At the current time, there's a lot of big names still available, but as with every year, that list is going to shrink a lot between now and July 1.

I believe that Maroon has enjoyed his time here, but if I'm his agent, I'm reminding him every day that this is likely his last spin at the slot machine here. He's going to get a 3-4 year deal, and likely at the end of that time, he's declining and younger players have pushed him down the lineup somewhat. He may not be coming off a couple of McDavid-assisted years the next time out of the gate, so if he's going to look after his future, he's got to hold out for as much as he can get this time.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707353 is a reply to message #707347 ]
Thu, 18 January 2018 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I find it hard now to commit to Maroon. Since we decided we had to punish him for not signing earlier and banning him from playing with McDavid (and in turn putting Lucic on the top line where he started failing after being on a good run with Nuge against weaker defenders), we don't even know anymore if he still has chemistry with McDavid, and if his speed starts to fall off, he might end up on the 3rd line here quickly.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707354 is a reply to message #707353 ]
Thu, 18 January 2018 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 18 January 2018 11:49

I find it hard now to commit to Maroon. Since we decided we had to punish him for not signing earlier and banning him from playing with McDavid (and in turn putting Lucic on the top line where he started failing after being on a good run with Nuge against weaker defenders), we don't even know anymore if he still has chemistry with McDavid, and if his speed starts to fall off, he might end up on the 3rd line here quickly.

Don't you think the speed falling off is inevitable? He's not a terrible skater but foot speed isn't his calling card. At soon to be 30, he's only going to slow down at least a little. The more I see where the NHL is going, the more I believe you can have a Maroon or Lucic on your team but you can only have one of them. I worry about replacing his goals but I think they need someone faster in his place. If they can get him for cheap and he's OK to sign a shortish deal then I don't have a problem keeping him. If the declines and you have to slide him down, if he's on a cheap contract, it's not a big deal. I just don't see him signing a cheap, short deal. I wouldn't if I was him.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 January 2018 11:55]

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707307 is a reply to message #707290 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
messier11  is currently offline messier11

No Cups

My expectations for the next couple of weeks:

Maroon for a 2nd
Letestu for a 4th
Cammalleri for a 7th

Big Bob is rumoring a Letestu for Cole trade which is weird for the Oilers because we could use a solid dman but I think he comes with a pricetag that we don't want.

I'm not in a collecting picks mood and would prefer a "own rental" idea, keep everyone and make a run for the playoffs...I'm not expecting to get there but it at least provides some continuity. The only pick that would matter is the 2nd and we find a way to blow every not-1st overall pick so they aren't much help.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707309 is a reply to message #707307 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

messier11 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 09:32

My expectations for the next couple of weeks:

Maroon for a 2nd
Letestu for a 4th
Cammalleri for a 7th

Big Bob is rumoring a Letestu for Cole trade which is weird for the Oilers because we could use a solid dman but I think he comes with a pricetag that we don't want.

I'm not in a collecting picks mood and would prefer a "own rental" idea, keep everyone and make a run for the playoffs...I'm not expecting to get there but it at least provides some continuity. The only pick that would matter is the 2nd and we find a way to blow every not-1st overall pick so they aren't much help.

I read the story from Mckenzie as well. I could totally see a fit for Letestu in Pitts. They need bottom 6 help, they had Letestu before and really liked him but I don't get Cole coming back. He's a left shot, 3rd pairing guy. The Oilers have plenty of those and they already have 8 dmen on their NHL roster plus Gryba in the minors.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707319 is a reply to message #707307 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

messier11 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2018 10:32

I'm not in a collecting picks mood and would prefer a "own rental" idea, keep everyone and make a run for the playoffs...I'm not expecting to get there but it at least provides some continuity.

At this point I have no faith in the Oilers to use anything past the first round to get anything of value.
That said I am happy to clear out players that either A- we cant afford to sign like Maroon, or B- Wont have a place on the team going forward like Khaira. If for nothing else but to lower the contracts we have on the books.

As far as making a run I want to believe but that ship has sailed I think so they might as well plan for the future, although I also don't have faith in PC's ability to do that given the contracts and no trades he throws around.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707314 is a reply to message #707290 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 16 January 2018 22:21

So, lots of rumblings now leading up to the trade deadline.

Not sure how everyone else is, but I try not to think about Oilers trades anymore. There is no fun, because any good trade with significant pieces that you can come up with is unrealistic with Chia at the helm IMO. He has pulled off some good small moves, but anything big is lateral at best (and usually much worse).

We clearly have some significant holes in the lineup. I hope by now he has realised he needs another top 4 RHD, someone that can move the puck and play on the PP. And that he needs some speed and skill on the wings. And no doubt the pressure is on now to turn this ship around in a hurry. Not sure we have time to just sit and wait. So, I would think at some point before next season starts that Chia needs to make a splash.

Question is, how bad will it be?

Well, he's traded 2 of his bigger pieces since he's arrived, plus a mid 1st round pick, and still does not have the RH puck moving D that can be a PP threat, and he's created the void on wing. I don't know what's next, but I'm guessing the next move will involve a center, create a void there (there WILL be a void if Nuge is moved), and either the wing issue or the D issue will remain unsolved. I thought the last two 1st round picks would be in play, and they weren't.....but Chiarelli doesn't really have a good record on the return for those either, having been fleeced as it turns out in the Reinhart deal. Imagine having a rookie center like Barzal here, assuming the Oilers would have chosen him with that 16th pick. If that happens, it changes a lot of things.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707320 is a reply to message #707314 ]
Wed, 17 January 2018 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I was curious about this, so looked back at Chiarelli's moves with the Bruins involving high round draft picks.

June 2010 - traded 1st rd, 3rd rd and Dennis Wideman for Nathan Horton and Gregory Campbell. Not bad - Wideman was a pretty good player for several years after this, but so was Horton and Campbell got them leniency with the Department of Player Safety so long as Colin Campbell ran that department. The Panthers squandered the picks too (#15-Derek Forbort & #90-Kyle Rau), which helps.

Feb 2011 - traded 2nd rd pick for Chris Kelly. Pick was a dud for Ottawa. Kelly is meh.

Feb 2011 - Traded Joe Colborne, 1st rd pick (Rickard Rakell) & 2nd rd pick (Mike Winther) for Tomas Kaberle. Decent deadline rental trade. Rakell is a very good player, but he was #30 overall - that's a lucky hit for the Ducks (who traded for the pick from Toronto). Kaberle didn't stay long in Toronto, but he had 11 assists en route to the Stanley Cup win that year.

April 2013 - Traded Cody Payne, Layne MacDermid & 2nd rd pick (conditional - became Jason Dickinson) for Jaromir Jagr. Not bad. The three assets have combined for 30 NHL games for the Stars. Jagr was part of a deep playoff run (although he was much maligned for going 0-10-10 in 22 post-season games with the Bruins).

March 2015 - two 2nd rd picks for Brett Connolly. His last trade with the Bruins, and a pretty brutal one at that. The team still missed the playoffs despite the pickup, and Connolly didn't last long in the organization and didn't contribute much when he did. Only saving grace is neither draft pick has hit it big yet (although both still young).

So Chiarelli's done okay when picking up high end rentals for deep Stanley Cup runs, but he's missed badly when on the bubble. He's never traded a really high pick yet...he prefers to deal them for pennies on the dollar once they're already established stars.

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707586 is a reply to message #707290 ]
Mon, 22 January 2018 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

A kings announcer just came up with a potential Awful turned up to 11 move:

Trade for Jack Johnson and play him on McDavid's wing.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kings-announcer-proposes- ridiculous-oilers-jack-johnson-trade-scenario/

I almost want this to happen for entertainment purposes.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: How bad will Chia's next big move be? [message #707591 is a reply to message #707586 ]
Mon, 22 January 2018 11:53 Go to previous message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 22 January 2018 10:20

A kings announcer just came up with a potential Awful turned up to 11 move:

Trade for Jack Johnson and play him on McDavid's wing.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kings-announcer-proposes- ridiculous-oilers-jack-johnson-trade-scenario/

I almost want this to happen for entertainment purposes.

This Cohen guy’s trade predictions seems as smart as his diet plan. Even if Chiarelli and the coaching staff were about to be fired they wouldn’t attempt this move. No one would hire them ever again.

Chia’s next move should be waiting by the phone and have Katz’s chequebook wide open. If there is even an ounce of truth to the rumour that Quenville’s job is on shaker ground in Chicago we should be the first team knocking on that door.

Previous Topic:Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey
Next Topic:The End of Chiarelli's Reign of Error
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca