F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Ottawa no trade listPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Ottawa no trade list [message #705080]
Sun, 10 December 2017 13:18 Go to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

So the Senators have asked 10 players for a no trade list, including Eric Karlsson.

I know paying him and McDavid 12 mill each isn't feasible, so I'm not saying the Oilers go get him. Scary injury history. Him and Larsson could be the ultimate D pairing though.

Interesting speculation none the less. If the Sens blow it up and rebuild, I feel sorry for Duchene!

Maybe they are so cheap, Melnyk is looking to copy Vegas's team of pluggers.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705081 is a reply to message #705080 ]
Sun, 10 December 2017 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Him and Larsson are both RD though. Still, this would be a sick top 4 (assuming Klef would be part of any potential trade to get him)

Nurse - Karlsson
Sekera - Larsson

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705083 is a reply to message #705081 ]
Sun, 10 December 2017 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Yeah NZ is right, Nurse would be his ideal partner.

Too bad we got that Lucic boat anchor of a contract.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705154 is a reply to message #705083 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Karlsson's contract is going to be 10+ mill. With the cap going up, it wouldn't shock me if its 11-12 mill. When you have McDavid making 12.5, it doesn't matter if the Oilers have Lucic's contract or Russell's contract, you can't afford to give 2 players making 12 mill. So where ever he goes, Karlsson will be that teams big money player.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705161 is a reply to message #705080 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

You have to figure Draisaitl and Klefbom would be the contracts moved out to make this work. If we are entertaining the idea at all.

Karlsson might be worth It, to be honest.

RNH here as 2C probably makes this possible, especially if Zack Smith could be added as filler.

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

Could do worse than that. But I think it's just dreaming.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705164 is a reply to message #705161 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 09:17

You have to figure Draisaitl and Klefbom would be the contracts moved out to make this work. If we are entertaining the idea at all.

RNH here as 2C probably makes this possible, especially if Zack Smith could be added as filler.

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

Yeah, and the only possible reason Ottawa would have for moving him is cap constraints, so you have to wonder how attractive $8.5m worth of Drai going back that way would be for them.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705165 is a reply to message #705164 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 09:41

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

Yeah, and the only possible reason Ottawa would have for moving him is cap constraints, so you have to wonder how attractive $8.5m worth of Drai going back that way would be for them.

How about a $6M Lucic?

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705167 is a reply to message #705161 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

Yeah, if we can make this work, I think I'm game to trade anyone but McDavid in a plan to get Karlsson. When Karlsson is on his game, he is a top 5 player in the world.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705173 is a reply to message #705167 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 09:45

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

Yeah, if we can make this work, I think I'm game to trade anyone but McDavid in a plan to get Karlsson. When Karlsson is on his game, he is a top 5 player in the world.

I can't think of a reason why an elite player would want to come to Edmonton. Could you imagine a club that employs Kevin Lowe handling Karlsson's injury situation properly?

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705182 is a reply to message #705173 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

All legitimate concerns about our organization's lack of competent decision makers go away when Wayne Gretzky phones you for a sales call.

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705174 is a reply to message #705167 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 08:45

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

I have a hard time seeing a scenario where this doesn’t involve Drai. Then again, Karlsson is in a UFA year, maybe teams aren’t willing to take the risk throwing blue chippers back. would need some guarantee that the Oil can resign him. Assuming we did, I think I’d pull the trigger.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705187 is a reply to message #705174 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Based on this season I'd keep Nuge over Drai, contract is a consideration too of course. A big center with skill has lots of appeal.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705188 is a reply to message #705187 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

overdue wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 16:21

Based on this season I'd keep Nuge over Drai, contract is a consideration too of course. A big center with skill has lots of appeal.

Funny. Everyone is raving about Nuge and how great he has been and don't get me wrong, he's been good. Everyone has been ragging on Leon and how he's not having a great year. Don't get me wrong, he's not having as good of a year as I would expect. BUT

Nuge - 30 games. 11 goals, 21 pts. 51.36% on faceoffs.
Leon - 26 games, 8 goal, 21 pts. 55.28% faceoffs.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705190 is a reply to message #705188 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

So would you agree that Karlson would probably make up less scoring on Nuge's part. Nuge is better defensively. I do see leon as having bigger potential upside when he gets it going again, but a healthy Karlson would put this team with McDavid at another level. No more power play problems!

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705191 is a reply to message #705190 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 16:40

So would you agree that Karlson would probably make up less scoring on Nuge's part. Nuge is better defensively. I do see leon as having bigger potential upside when he gets it going again, but a healthy Karlson would put this team with McDavid at another level. No more power play problems!

Sadly, I think Woodcroft would still find ways to screw up the PP, even with Karlsson and McDavid :)

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705192 is a reply to message #705191 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Yeah, I'm with you on ending the Letestu monopoly on the pp. He's so reliable that he reliably doesn't score. Give the kid a chance, looks to have a wicked one timer! Letestu has his place on this team, just not there.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705198 is a reply to message #705190 ]
Tue, 12 December 2017 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

If the Oilers have the chance to get Karlsson I would trade anyone on the Oilers other than McDavid. So if the cost is Drai, I would do it. But the point I was trying to make is the downgrade from Drai to Nuge is significantly more than you make it out to be.

We all agree that Nuge is having a real good year, both statistically and his all around game. This is the Nuge I thought the Oilers drafted and was expecting to see years ago. So it's awesome to see. However Nuge is on pace for 57 pts. I think that is pretty much his max point potential. Maybe he can round it out to 60 but that's it. Nuge is over 50% on faceoffs for the first time EVER in his career at 51.36% and he has 425 games. Defensively, Nuge has been pretty good but is a -2. Nuge turns 25 in April. ON most teams, Nuge would be their solid #2 center.

Leon just turned 22 in Oct. Leon has 217 games. So less than half as much experience. He's already a superior faceoff guy. He's at 55.28 this season so 4% higher than Nuge. Last year and the season before that, he was 5% better than Nuge. That's significant. With only just over 200 NHL games, I could see Leon getting better at faceoffs as he gets more experience, where he is pushing high 50's. Nuge is having a damn fine faceoff season and I could see him staying at the 50-51% level but I don't see Nuge getting more than that. Defensively with half the experience, Leon is as good if not better defensively. He's a +3. Offensively, we think Leon is having a bad year but he is matching Nuge's points. Nuge might be having a career year. ON most teams Leon would be their #1 center.

I said it in another thread, I wouldn't trade Leon for anyone except a #1, right shooting, point producing dman who checks off every box that you would want. So basically I said it will never happen because no team if they actually have that dman would be stupid enough to trade that guy. I don't even think I would do it for Doughty. Doughty is a year older than Karlsson, I think he has way tougher miles on him because of the style the Kings played during the Sutter years and I don't think he scores enough. He's having one hell of a year this season but before that, he scored (i am excluding the lock out year) 44, 51, 46, 37, 36, 40, 59. So he is more of a 40 pt guy, than the 60 pt dman he is on pace to be this season. In a normal year, Karlsson is a 65+ pt guy. This will be an off year but Leon is a 75+ pt center in my opinion. Karlsson is that guy I would trade and if Ottawa is stupid enough to trade him, I would do it.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705223 is a reply to message #705198 ]
Tue, 12 December 2017 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 12 December 2017 08:31

If the Oilers have the chance to get Karlsson I would trade anyone on the Oilers other than McDavid. So if the cost is Drai, I would do it. But the point I was trying to make is the downgrade from Drai to Nuge is significantly more than you make it out to be.

We all agree that Nuge is having a real good year, both statistically and his all around game. This is the Nuge I thought the Oilers drafted and was expecting to see years ago. So it's awesome to see. However Nuge is on pace for 57 pts. I think that is pretty much his max point potential. Maybe he can round it out to 60 but that's it. Nuge is over 50% on faceoffs for the first time EVER in his career at 51.36% and he has 425 games. Defensively, Nuge has been pretty good but is a -2. Nuge turns 25 in April. ON most teams, Nuge would be their solid #2 center.

Leon just turned 22 in Oct. Leon has 217 games. So less than half as much experience. He's already a superior faceoff guy. He's at 55.28 this season so 4% higher than Nuge. Last year and the season before that, he was 5% better than Nuge. That's significant. With only just over 200 NHL games, I could see Leon getting better at faceoffs as he gets more experience, where he is pushing high 50's. Nuge is having a damn fine faceoff season and I could see him staying at the 50-51% level but I don't see Nuge getting more than that. Defensively with half the experience, Leon is as good if not better defensively. He's a +3. Offensively, we think Leon is having a bad year but he is matching Nuge's points. Nuge might be having a career year. ON most teams Leon would be their #1 center.

I said it in another thread, I wouldn't trade Leon for anyone except a #1, right shooting, point producing dman who checks off every box that you would want. So basically I said it will never happen because no team if they actually have that dman would be stupid enough to trade that guy. I don't even think I would do it for Doughty. Doughty is a year older than Karlsson, I think he has way tougher miles on him because of the style the Kings played during the Sutter years and I don't think he scores enough. He's having one hell of a year this season but before that, he scored (i am excluding the lock out year) 44, 51, 46, 37, 36, 40, 59. So he is more of a 40 pt guy, than the 60 pt dman he is on pace to be this season. In a normal year, Karlsson is a 65+ pt guy. This will be an off year but Leon is a 75+ pt center in my opinion. Karlsson is that guy I would trade and if Ottawa is stupid enough to trade him, I would do it.

Have to agree that Drai is the better offensive player and that we still don't know how good he can be. like you said, he's still young and has the size and reach that add to his appeal. I like him as a player but if they 'are' stupid enough to trade Karlsson, he would be the ask, at least. In fairness to Nuge on the defensive side of things,he often gets heavier defensive assignments than Drai does because he is so reliable there. I suspect that has taken away from his offensive numbers as well. He hasn't played with McDavid yet as far as I have seen other than a shift here or there. Once the team gets healthy again ( Sekera and Talbot ) we will be much better without that trade anyway. There is also the question of Karlsson being injury prone. Him and McDavid together would be magic to watch though.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705224 is a reply to message #705223 ]
Tue, 12 December 2017 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

overdue wrote on Tue, 12 December 2017 15:10

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 12 December 2017 08:31

Have to agree that Drai is the better offensive player and that we still don't know how good he can be. like you said, he's still young and has the size and reach that add to his appeal. I like him as a player but if they 'are' stupid enough to trade Karlsson, he would be the ask, at least. In fairness to Nuge on the defensive side of things,he often gets heavier defensive assignments than Drai does because he is so reliable there. I suspect that has taken away from his offensive numbers as well. He hasn't played with McDavid yet as far as I have seen other than a shift here or there. Once the team gets healthy again ( Sekera and Talbot ) we will be much better without that trade anyway. There is also the question of Karlsson being injury prone. Him and McDavid together would be magic to watch though.

Are you sure they would take Drai at his 8.5 mill? They traded away Turris because he wasn't signed and he goes to Nashiville and immediately he signs for 5 yrs at 6 mil. 6 mill for a 60+ center is not an overpay what so ever. If he was in his 30's then I can understand why you maybe don't want to commit to him on a longish deal but he's 28. He will be 29 when the deal kicks in and 34 when it's done. So I don't even know if they would take Drai given he's 8.5 mill for a long time.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705189 is a reply to message #705174 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 10:41

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

I have a hard time seeing a scenario where this doesn’t involve Drai. Then again, Karlsson is in a UFA year, maybe teams aren’t willing to take the risk throwing blue chippers back. would need some guarantee that the Oil can resign him. Assuming we did, I think I’d pull the trigger.

I don't think Ottawa would take Drai back. Or even Nuge. Just because of their price tags. We probably need to give them Klef, and then lots of good cheap pieces, like 1st round picks, Pulju, Yams, maybe Benning to help them fill the RHD hole. Would be very expensive, and then Karlsson is super expensive so we probably have to trade Drai.

Whatever it ended up taking though, I'm cool with putting the best C in a decade and a top 2 or 3 D in the world on the same team :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705193 is a reply to message #705189 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 15:38

nullterm wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 10:41

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

I don't think Ottawa would take Drai back. Or even Nuge. Just because of their price tags. We probably need to give them Klef, and then lots of good cheap pieces, like 1st round picks, Pulju, Yams, maybe Benning to help them fill the RHD hole. Would be very expensive, and then Karlsson is super expensive so we probably have to trade Drai.

Whatever it ended up taking though, I'm cool with putting the best C in a decade and a top 2 or 3 D in the world on the same team :)

Drai young and signed for 8 years, which is plenty of time for a (normal!) NHL team to do a re-build, and he's a somewhat big name to build a team around.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709696 is a reply to message #705080 ]
Wed, 21 February 2018 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Lots of rumblings about Karlsson lately. Ottawa is in shambles, Melnyk is now the CEO in office...It sure seems like they are about to do something stupid.

Supposedly they want the Bobby Ryan contract taken too.

I haven't heard anything about the Oilers, but I hope they are exploring all options here. Figure out the salaries later in the offseason. A McDavid-Karlsson combo makes this team so much better than McDavid-Draisaitl-everybody else.

It sure sucks we are locked in NMC with Sekera, Lucic, Russell...lots of salary there you might be able to move around if you got Karlsson and Ryan for next year. But you likely say goodbye to many of Draisaitl, Klefbom, Larsson, Nuge.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 February 2018 17:10]

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709701 is a reply to message #709696 ]
Wed, 21 February 2018 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

When I read that on tsn my magic nad started vibrating. Baba has a feeling Karlsson could be landing here. I read somewhere him and Larsson are pretty good friends back in Sweden.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709707 is a reply to message #709701 ]
Wed, 21 February 2018 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Wed, 21 February 2018 16:44

When I read that on tsn my magic nad started vibrating. Baba has a feeling Karlsson could be landing here. I read somewhere him and Larsson are pretty good friends back in Sweden.

Let us all pray to the magic nad

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709709 is a reply to message #709707 ]
Wed, 21 February 2018 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 February 2018 17:04

Babaganoosh wrote on Wed, 21 February 2018 16:44

Let us all pray to the magic nad

Hail great one! Hail Baba's magic nad!

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709711 is a reply to message #709696 ]
Wed, 21 February 2018 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 21 February 2018 16:08

Lots of rumblings about Karlsson lately. Ottawa is in shambles, Melnyk is now the CEO in office...It sure seems like they are about to do something stupid.

I haven't heard anything about the Oilers, but I hope they are exploring all options here. Figure out the salaries later in the offseason. A McDavid-Karlsson combo makes this team so much better than McDavid-Draisaitl-everybody else.

It sure sucks we are locked in NMC with Sekera, Lucic, Russell...lots of salary there you might be able to move around if you got Karlsson and Ryan for next year. But you likely say goodbye to many of Draisaitl, Klefbom, Larsson, Nuge.

Get the party started!

Nuge+Klef+Benning+2nd for Karlsson+Ryan

Don't ask me how we extend Karlsson after that :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709712 is a reply to message #709711 ]
Wed, 21 February 2018 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 February 2018 20:38

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 21 February 2018 16:08

Get the party started!

Nuge+Klef+Benning+2nd for Karlsson+Ryan

Don't ask me how we extend Karlsson after that :)

Man that's an ugly contract Ryan has.

But if there was any way to land Karlsson and make the numbers work, oh boy that could be fun to watch.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709713 is a reply to message #709712 ]
Wed, 21 February 2018 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shooter  is currently offline Shooter

No Cups

ottawa would be way better trading Karlsson seperately.......they will receive less if they have to throw b ryan in the deal

Here's a free lesson......

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709714 is a reply to message #709713 ]
Wed, 21 February 2018 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Shooter wrote on Wed, 21 February 2018 18:03

ottawa would be way better trading Karlsson seperately.......they will receive less if they have to throw b ryan in the deal

Might just be about the money though, more than the quality of the player return.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709715 is a reply to message #705080 ]
Wed, 21 February 2018 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG is currently online NetBOG

1 Cup

Unless somebody is very desperate, I don't see Karlsson getting dealt at least until the summer. Rumour is that Ottawa wants 6 or 7 good pieces plus taking the Bobby Ryan boat anchor. Its just too much at this point.

Looking at the Sens CapFriendly page is kinda depressing. Four contracts are long term high salary to mediocre players and no 1st or 2nd round pick this year (1st is top 10 protected, so they might sacrifice next years 1st rounder instead)

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709744 is a reply to message #709715 ]
Thu, 22 February 2018 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 21 February 2018 18:36

Unless somebody is very desperate, I don't see Karlsson getting dealt at least until the summer. Rumour is that Ottawa wants 6 or 7 good pieces plus taking the Bobby Ryan boat anchor. Its just too much at this point.

Looking at the Sens CapFriendly page is kinda depressing. Four contracts are long term high salary to mediocre players and no 1st or 2nd round pick this year (1st is top 10 protected, so they might sacrifice next years 1st rounder instead)

The rumour was 6-7 pieces WITHOUT Bobby Ryan & around 3ish pieces if Ryan is included.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709752 is a reply to message #709744 ]
Thu, 22 February 2018 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Less assets for a scoring winger! Let's do it!

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709753 is a reply to message #709744 ]
Thu, 22 February 2018 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

If a package starting with Nuge + Klefbom would get the talks started I would seriously consider it even if it meant taking back Bobby Ryan. We needs wingers, and he's a right shot. Not saying he's going to be a 30+ goal scorer again but playing with McDavid could get him going. Regardless that would be secondary to acquiring Karlsson.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709758 is a reply to message #709753 ]
Thu, 22 February 2018 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

jds308 wrote on Thu, 22 February 2018 09:27

If a package starting with Nuge + Klefbom would get the talks started I would seriously consider it even if it meant taking back Bobby Ryan. We needs wingers, and he's a right shot. Not saying he's going to be a 30+ goal scorer again but playing with McDavid could get him going. Regardless that would be secondary to acquiring Karlsson.

Booby Ryan is 30 years old, currently has 20 points (terrible) & has 4 more years at $7.25 million cap hit. He isn't a "scoring winger" anymore, is considered to have average to slow footspeed (& won't get better with age) & has one of the top 5 worst contracts in the NHL. Plus, the kicker in of why Karlsson is on the block is because he wants a huge contract ($10+ Million for 8 years) this summer & the Sens obviously aren't willing to go there. This means that putting Nuge & Klef +++ is not what they would be looking for cuz the salary coming back would almost equal what they would have to pay Karlsson on an extension.

The rumour is they want a cheap/young top 4 Dman, A high-end D prospect, A top 6 forward who is young/cheap, a top 6 forward prospect & a 1st & 2nd rd rd picks. That is 6 very large assets for one player....PLUS, you then have to get him to sign an extension and swallow a $10+ million cap hit that finishes when he is 38 years old.

Let that all sink in and ask yourself if you are willing to pay the price on giving up these assets & offering that contract extension???

I would offer this and see where the conversation goes...
Klefbom, Strome, Benning, Caleb Jones, 2nd rd pick in 2018 & 1st rd pick in 2019.

Won't get it done, but would be start of the conversation. I would not add Yamamoto or Puljujarvi in that equation & would try like crazy to keep Ethan Bear out of it as well.

We will need high end top 6 potential wingers that will be cheap for 2-3 years if we sign Karlsson to a massive contract.

I can't see this happening for us even though knowing having Karlsson as our true #1 RD would be incredible!

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709772 is a reply to message #709758 ]
Thu, 22 February 2018 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

Jakey wrote on Thu, 22 February 2018 09:01

jds308 wrote on Thu, 22 February 2018 09:27

Booby Ryan is 30 years old, currently has 20 points (terrible) & has 4 more years at $7.25 million cap hit. He isn't a "scoring winger" anymore, is considered to have average to slow footspeed (& won't get better with age) & has one of the top 5 worst contracts in the NHL. Plus, the kicker in of why Karlsson is on the block is because he wants a huge contract ($10+ Million for 8 years) this summer & the Sens obviously aren't willing to go there. This means that putting Nuge & Klef +++ is not what they would be looking for cuz the salary coming back would almost equal what they would have to pay Karlsson on an extension.

The rumour is they want a cheap/young top 4 Dman, A high-end D prospect, A top 6 forward who is young/cheap, a top 6 forward prospect & a 1st & 2nd rd rd picks. That is 6 very large assets for one player....PLUS, you then have to get him to sign an extension and swallow a $10+ million cap hit that finishes when he is 38 years old.

Let that all sink in and ask yourself if you are willing to pay the price on giving up these assets & offering that contract extension???

I would offer this and see where the conversation goes...
Klefbom, Strome, Benning, Caleb Jones, 2nd rd pick in 2018 & 1st rd pick in 2019.

Won't get it done, but would be start of the conversation. I would not add Yamamoto or Puljujarvi in that equation & would try like crazy to keep Ethan Bear out of it as well.

We will need high end top 6 potential wingers that will be cheap for 2-3 years if we sign Karlsson to a massive contract.

I can't see this happening for us even though knowing having Karlsson as our true #1 RD would be incredible!

So your trade proposal would be assuming no Bobby Ryan being included? You are correct, that is a lot of assets going out. That sort of deal would have to come along with an extended Karlsson after July 1. I also don't think your package would get it done, but should get the conversation started. A big problem, and major failing of the organization is the lack of quality depth in the system. Chia would literally have to empty the already close to bare prospect cupboard to make any sort of real attempt at a deal. Bear, Jones, Yamamoto.... I mean that's really it. That's why I figure the best shot at getting Karlsson would be to take on Ryan and try to make some use out of him, not just as a buy out. In the end, I doubt we're even in the mix. Still, fun to think about.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709787 is a reply to message #709772 ]
Thu, 22 February 2018 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

Wouldn't it just be better to wait till he hits free agency? Plan on having a really good bounce back year next year, show him we're trending North. Show him that he has a chance for the next 6 years of at least winning the Pacific with the likes of elderly SJ, Anaheim, LA regressing and being better than the less top end talent teams like AZ, Calgary, Vancouver and Vegas and getting to at least the conference finals over that 6 years; something he's gotten to once with Ottawa.

If I'm any team out there, I'm throwing $14 million at him, but if he wants to win and cement his legacy and would take $10-11 million, then it's possible right?

Obviously some contracts need to go (Russel, Sekera & Lucic come to mind), but there's a way you can do it in the mould of Pittsburgh.

Point is, why give up assets when you can just try and wait till Free Agency.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709788 is a reply to message #709787 ]
Thu, 22 February 2018 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

1 Cup

mazankowski wrote on Thu, 22 February 2018 21:15

Wouldn't it just be better to wait till he hits free agency? Plan on having a really good bounce back year next year, show him we're trending North. Show him that he has a chance for the next 6 years of at least winning the Pacific with the likes of elderly SJ, Anaheim, LA regressing and being better than the less top end talent teams like AZ, Calgary, Vancouver and Vegas and getting to at least the conference finals over that 6 years; something he's gotten to once with Ottawa.

If I'm any team out there, I'm throwing $14 million at him, but if he wants to win and cement his legacy and would take $10-11 million, then it's possible right?

Obviously some contracts need to go (Russel, Sekera & Lucic come to mind), but there's a way you can do it in the mould of Pittsburgh.

You at the very least explore the possibility of what it would take because there are 29 other teams, some who are rivals, who very well may be willing to spend the ask to have the exclusive chance of signing him hindering his UFA eligibility.

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709789 is a reply to message #709788 ]
Thu, 22 February 2018 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 22 February 2018 19:19

mazankowski wrote on Thu, 22 February 2018 21:15

You at the very least explore the possibility of what it would take because there are 29 other teams, some who are rivals, who very well may be willing to spend the ask to have the exclusive chance of signing him hindering his UFA eligibility.

Valid point, but you can't compare your team's ability to make the deal to another teams. By giving up a plethora of not even what if's but roster NHL players, you're taking one step forward and two steps back perhaps. I'm pretty confident the ask is too rich for most teams, but even if it's not, then the question becomes "is EK really okay with re-signing with a team he gets dealt to who is in the same position as Ottawa?" He'd rather stay in Ottawa in my opinion and remain a legend there.

If the price to acquire him includes a core piece and/or Grade A prospects or 1st round picks, you can't do it. I've already seen mention of what we could offer, like Nuge or Klef. However, itt's clear that we need someone to play Nuge's role if he's part of the deal and say what you want about Klef, but at his price point he's a steal.

To me Ottawa is looking for Draisaitl, Nurse and a 1st, which is not going to happen, but when Ottawa looks at Edmonton, that's all there really is that you'd want. You know you can't get McDavid, and there's nobody on this team I'd want in all honesty. They're in a rebuild but need to remain competitive in order to not forfeit a lottery pick next year to Colorado. So if they aren't gonna get youth that's elite, then they need to keep EK.

An even better option for the Oilers perhaps? Offer John Carlson an $8 million deal long term

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709851 is a reply to message #709789 ]
Fri, 23 February 2018 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

The irony of Bobby Ryan playing for a team that still employs Kevin Lowe is worth the price by itself.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Twitter: @penuita15

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #709885 is a reply to message #709851 ]
Fri, 23 February 2018 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

1 Cup

Questionable pick at best.

Scores 30 goals four times in a row.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Which dead contract could the Oilers pick up?
Next Topic:Maroon - What do you think we get / Should get
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca