This day on January 19
None

Happy Birthday To: polarbear, Mr_Huynh, ronster, Da_Real_Huynh, ProngerFTW, harveyfan, Unihockeypolska, Backstop69, Dextreme, bogz

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Ottawa no trade list
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Ottawa no trade list [message #705080]
Sun, 10 December 2017 13:18 Go to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

So the Senators have asked 10 players for a no trade list, including Eric Karlsson.

I know paying him and McDavid 12 mill each isn't feasible, so I'm not saying the Oilers go get him. Scary injury history. Him and Larsson could be the ultimate D pairing though.

Interesting speculation none the less. If the Sens blow it up and rebuild, I feel sorry for Duchene!

Maybe they are so cheap, Melnyk is looking to copy Vegas's team of pluggers.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705081 is a reply to message #705080 ]
Sun, 10 December 2017 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Him and Larsson are both RD though. Still, this would be a sick top 4 (assuming Klef would be part of any potential trade to get him)

Nurse - Karlsson
Sekera - Larsson

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705083 is a reply to message #705081 ]
Sun, 10 December 2017 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Yeah NZ is right, Nurse would be his ideal partner.

Too bad we got that Lucic boat anchor of a contract.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705154 is a reply to message #705083 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Karlsson's contract is going to be 10+ mill. With the cap going up, it wouldn't shock me if its 11-12 mill. When you have McDavid making 12.5, it doesn't matter if the Oilers have Lucic's contract or Russell's contract, you can't afford to give 2 players making 12 mill. So where ever he goes, Karlsson will be that teams big money player.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705161 is a reply to message #705080 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

You have to figure Draisaitl and Klefbom would be the contracts moved out to make this work. If we are entertaining the idea at all.

Karlsson might be worth It, to be honest.

RNH here as 2C probably makes this possible, especially if Zack Smith could be added as filler.

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

Could do worse than that. But I think it's just dreaming.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705164 is a reply to message #705161 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 09:17

You have to figure Draisaitl and Klefbom would be the contracts moved out to make this work. If we are entertaining the idea at all.

RNH here as 2C probably makes this possible, especially if Zack Smith could be added as filler.

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

Yeah, and the only possible reason Ottawa would have for moving him is cap constraints, so you have to wonder how attractive $8.5m worth of Drai going back that way would be for them.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705165 is a reply to message #705164 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97 is currently online McDavid97

1 Cup

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 09:41

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

Yeah, and the only possible reason Ottawa would have for moving him is cap constraints, so you have to wonder how attractive $8.5m worth of Drai going back that way would be for them.

How about a $6M Lucic?

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705167 is a reply to message #705161 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

Yeah, if we can make this work, I think I'm game to trade anyone but McDavid in a plan to get Karlsson. When Karlsson is on his game, he is a top 5 player in the world.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705173 is a reply to message #705167 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 09:45

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

Yeah, if we can make this work, I think I'm game to trade anyone but McDavid in a plan to get Karlsson. When Karlsson is on his game, he is a top 5 player in the world.

I can't think of a reason why an elite player would want to come to Edmonton. Could you imagine a club that employs Kevin Lowe handling Karlsson's injury situation properly?

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705182 is a reply to message #705173 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

All legitimate concerns about our organization's lack of competent decision makers go away when Wayne Gretzky phones you for a sales call.

When Peter Chiarelli is fired, Kevin Lowe will be involved in finding a replacement. Fire them all. Bring us REAL change.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705174 is a reply to message #705167 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 08:45

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

I have a hard time seeing a scenario where this doesn’t involve Drai. Then again, Karlsson is in a UFA year, maybe teams aren’t willing to take the risk throwing blue chippers back. would need some guarantee that the Oil can resign him. Assuming we did, I think I’d pull the trigger.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705187 is a reply to message #705174 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Based on this season I'd keep Nuge over Drai, contract is a consideration too of course. A big center with skill has lots of appeal.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705188 is a reply to message #705187 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

overdue wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 16:21

Based on this season I'd keep Nuge over Drai, contract is a consideration too of course. A big center with skill has lots of appeal.

Funny. Everyone is raving about Nuge and how great he has been and don't get me wrong, he's been good. Everyone has been ragging on Leon and how he's not having a great year. Don't get me wrong, he's not having as good of a year as I would expect. BUT

Nuge - 30 games. 11 goals, 21 pts. 51.36% on faceoffs.
Leon - 26 games, 8 goal, 21 pts. 55.28% faceoffs.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705190 is a reply to message #705188 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

So would you agree that Karlson would probably make up less scoring on Nuge's part. Nuge is better defensively. I do see leon as having bigger potential upside when he gets it going again, but a healthy Karlson would put this team with McDavid at another level. No more power play problems!

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705191 is a reply to message #705190 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 16:40

So would you agree that Karlson would probably make up less scoring on Nuge's part. Nuge is better defensively. I do see leon as having bigger potential upside when he gets it going again, but a healthy Karlson would put this team with McDavid at another level. No more power play problems!

Sadly, I think Woodcroft would still find ways to screw up the PP, even with Karlsson and McDavid :)

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705192 is a reply to message #705191 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Yeah, I'm with you on ending the Letestu monopoly on the pp. He's so reliable that he reliably doesn't score. Give the kid a chance, looks to have a wicked one timer! Letestu has his place on this team, just not there.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705198 is a reply to message #705190 ]
Tue, 12 December 2017 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

If the Oilers have the chance to get Karlsson I would trade anyone on the Oilers other than McDavid. So if the cost is Drai, I would do it. But the point I was trying to make is the downgrade from Drai to Nuge is significantly more than you make it out to be.

We all agree that Nuge is having a real good year, both statistically and his all around game. This is the Nuge I thought the Oilers drafted and was expecting to see years ago. So it's awesome to see. However Nuge is on pace for 57 pts. I think that is pretty much his max point potential. Maybe he can round it out to 60 but that's it. Nuge is over 50% on faceoffs for the first time EVER in his career at 51.36% and he has 425 games. Defensively, Nuge has been pretty good but is a -2. Nuge turns 25 in April. ON most teams, Nuge would be their solid #2 center.

Leon just turned 22 in Oct. Leon has 217 games. So less than half as much experience. He's already a superior faceoff guy. He's at 55.28 this season so 4% higher than Nuge. Last year and the season before that, he was 5% better than Nuge. That's significant. With only just over 200 NHL games, I could see Leon getting better at faceoffs as he gets more experience, where he is pushing high 50's. Nuge is having a damn fine faceoff season and I could see him staying at the 50-51% level but I don't see Nuge getting more than that. Defensively with half the experience, Leon is as good if not better defensively. He's a +3. Offensively, we think Leon is having a bad year but he is matching Nuge's points. Nuge might be having a career year. ON most teams Leon would be their #1 center.

I said it in another thread, I wouldn't trade Leon for anyone except a #1, right shooting, point producing dman who checks off every box that you would want. So basically I said it will never happen because no team if they actually have that dman would be stupid enough to trade that guy. I don't even think I would do it for Doughty. Doughty is a year older than Karlsson, I think he has way tougher miles on him because of the style the Kings played during the Sutter years and I don't think he scores enough. He's having one hell of a year this season but before that, he scored (i am excluding the lock out year) 44, 51, 46, 37, 36, 40, 59. So he is more of a 40 pt guy, than the 60 pt dman he is on pace to be this season. In a normal year, Karlsson is a 65+ pt guy. This will be an off year but Leon is a 75+ pt center in my opinion. Karlsson is that guy I would trade and if Ottawa is stupid enough to trade him, I would do it.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705223 is a reply to message #705198 ]
Tue, 12 December 2017 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 12 December 2017 08:31

If the Oilers have the chance to get Karlsson I would trade anyone on the Oilers other than McDavid. So if the cost is Drai, I would do it. But the point I was trying to make is the downgrade from Drai to Nuge is significantly more than you make it out to be.

We all agree that Nuge is having a real good year, both statistically and his all around game. This is the Nuge I thought the Oilers drafted and was expecting to see years ago. So it's awesome to see. However Nuge is on pace for 57 pts. I think that is pretty much his max point potential. Maybe he can round it out to 60 but that's it. Nuge is over 50% on faceoffs for the first time EVER in his career at 51.36% and he has 425 games. Defensively, Nuge has been pretty good but is a -2. Nuge turns 25 in April. ON most teams, Nuge would be their solid #2 center.

Leon just turned 22 in Oct. Leon has 217 games. So less than half as much experience. He's already a superior faceoff guy. He's at 55.28 this season so 4% higher than Nuge. Last year and the season before that, he was 5% better than Nuge. That's significant. With only just over 200 NHL games, I could see Leon getting better at faceoffs as he gets more experience, where he is pushing high 50's. Nuge is having a damn fine faceoff season and I could see him staying at the 50-51% level but I don't see Nuge getting more than that. Defensively with half the experience, Leon is as good if not better defensively. He's a +3. Offensively, we think Leon is having a bad year but he is matching Nuge's points. Nuge might be having a career year. ON most teams Leon would be their #1 center.

I said it in another thread, I wouldn't trade Leon for anyone except a #1, right shooting, point producing dman who checks off every box that you would want. So basically I said it will never happen because no team if they actually have that dman would be stupid enough to trade that guy. I don't even think I would do it for Doughty. Doughty is a year older than Karlsson, I think he has way tougher miles on him because of the style the Kings played during the Sutter years and I don't think he scores enough. He's having one hell of a year this season but before that, he scored (i am excluding the lock out year) 44, 51, 46, 37, 36, 40, 59. So he is more of a 40 pt guy, than the 60 pt dman he is on pace to be this season. In a normal year, Karlsson is a 65+ pt guy. This will be an off year but Leon is a 75+ pt center in my opinion. Karlsson is that guy I would trade and if Ottawa is stupid enough to trade him, I would do it.

Have to agree that Drai is the better offensive player and that we still don't know how good he can be. like you said, he's still young and has the size and reach that add to his appeal. I like him as a player but if they 'are' stupid enough to trade Karlsson, he would be the ask, at least. In fairness to Nuge on the defensive side of things,he often gets heavier defensive assignments than Drai does because he is so reliable there. I suspect that has taken away from his offensive numbers as well. He hasn't played with McDavid yet as far as I have seen other than a shift here or there. Once the team gets healthy again ( Sekera and Talbot ) we will be much better without that trade anyway. There is also the question of Karlsson being injury prone. Him and McDavid together would be magic to watch though.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705224 is a reply to message #705223 ]
Tue, 12 December 2017 15:47 Go to previous message

2 Cups

overdue wrote on Tue, 12 December 2017 15:10

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 12 December 2017 08:31

Have to agree that Drai is the better offensive player and that we still don't know how good he can be. like you said, he's still young and has the size and reach that add to his appeal. I like him as a player but if they 'are' stupid enough to trade Karlsson, he would be the ask, at least. In fairness to Nuge on the defensive side of things,he often gets heavier defensive assignments than Drai does because he is so reliable there. I suspect that has taken away from his offensive numbers as well. He hasn't played with McDavid yet as far as I have seen other than a shift here or there. Once the team gets healthy again ( Sekera and Talbot ) we will be much better without that trade anyway. There is also the question of Karlsson being injury prone. Him and McDavid together would be magic to watch though.

Are you sure they would take Drai at his 8.5 mill? They traded away Turris because he wasn't signed and he goes to Nashiville and immediately he signs for 5 yrs at 6 mil. 6 mill for a 60+ center is not an overpay what so ever. If he was in his 30's then I can understand why you maybe don't want to commit to him on a longish deal but he's 28. He will be 29 when the deal kicks in and 34 when it's done. So I don't even know if they would take Drai given he's 8.5 mill for a long time.

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705189 is a reply to message #705174 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 10:41

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

I have a hard time seeing a scenario where this doesn’t involve Drai. Then again, Karlsson is in a UFA year, maybe teams aren’t willing to take the risk throwing blue chippers back. would need some guarantee that the Oil can resign him. Assuming we did, I think I’d pull the trigger.

I don't think Ottawa would take Drai back. Or even Nuge. Just because of their price tags. We probably need to give them Klef, and then lots of good cheap pieces, like 1st round picks, Pulju, Yams, maybe Benning to help them fill the RHD hole. Would be very expensive, and then Karlsson is super expensive so we probably have to trade Drai.

Whatever it ended up taking though, I'm cool with putting the best C in a decade and a top 2 or 3 D in the world on the same team :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Ottawa no trade list [message #705193 is a reply to message #705189 ]
Mon, 11 December 2017 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 15:38

nullterm wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 10:41

Nurse / Karlsson
Sekera / Larsson
Davidson/ Benning

I don't think Ottawa would take Drai back. Or even Nuge. Just because of their price tags. We probably need to give them Klef, and then lots of good cheap pieces, like 1st round picks, Pulju, Yams, maybe Benning to help them fill the RHD hole. Would be very expensive, and then Karlsson is super expensive so we probably have to trade Drai.

Whatever it ended up taking though, I'm cool with putting the best C in a decade and a top 2 or 3 D in the world on the same team :)

Drai young and signed for 8 years, which is plenty of time for a (normal!) NHL team to do a re-build, and he's a somewhat big name to build a team around.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Previous Topic:Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap?
Next Topic:Advanced Metrics
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca