This day on May 21
None

Happy Birthday To: smyth_fan94, chrisinbanff, jboyslim, michaelo

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703544]
Fri, 24 November 2017 19:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

3 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Buffalo to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703548 is a reply to message #703544 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

This team is hot and cold, but mostly cold.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703549 is a reply to message #703544 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

http://www.gobsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/porky-pig.png

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703550 is a reply to message #703544 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ is currently online MJ

2 Cups

At least the game is done early enough as to not ruin everyone's Friday night! Just trying to find the positives here. Wave Towel

What a complete lack of effort. Thought maybe, just maybe they'd come out firing on all cylinders in the third but there is no extra gear. This game there was barely a first gear, just sat there idling in neutral.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703551 is a reply to message #703544 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

Edmonton Oilers. Breaking slumps since forever..... Barf

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703552 is a reply to message #703544 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Another in a line of underwhelming performances by the Edmonton Oilers. Good grief.

Not that it necessarily does any good, but have these guys had a players only meeting yet? The Oilers are riddled with issues, and a portion of it is on the players themselves. Regardless of what the GM did since his arrival here, it's on the players to play the game, to bear down and make the other team beat them....not beat themselves by no-showing for most of the game. Maybe the group isn't ready to admit that not coming to play is a problem? confused2

1/4 of the way through the season and they've put together consecutive wins once, if I'm not mistaken. Pitiful. I didn't think going into the season that being outworked would cost the Oilers several hockey games, but it's clearly the case.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703563 is a reply to message #703552 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 24 November 2017 19:55

Another in a line of underwhelming performances by the Edmonton Oilers. Good grief.

Not that it necessarily does any good, but have these guys had a players only meeting yet? The Oilers are riddled with issues, and a portion of it is on the players themselves. Regardless of what the GM did since his arrival here, it's on the players to play the game, to bear down and make the other team beat them....not beat themselves by no-showing for most of the game. Maybe the group isn't ready to admit that not coming to play is a problem? confused2

1/4 of the way through the season and they've put together consecutive wins once, if I'm not mistaken. Pitiful. I didn't think going into the season that being outworked would cost the Oilers several hockey games, but it's clearly the case.

And they weren't even that good in their lone "winning streak" of the season. Both games were a struggle and we were saved with OT magic.

Don't think this team has put 2 solid efforts in a row all year.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703553 is a reply to message #703544 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

Much of this team's struggles are on the team Chia put together.

But the regularity with which they just aren't ready to play - that's on coaching, as is the refusal to try anything but Letestu on the PP.

Fire everyone.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703557 is a reply to message #703553 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

vsove wrote on Fri, 24 November 2017 19:56

But the regularity with which they just aren't ready to play - that's on coaching, as is the refusal to try anything but Letestu on the PP.

Fire everyone.

I think the coach has to be standing on some pretty thin ice, but holy crap these players have to have some accountability too. Not being ready is as much on the players as the coach, but the coach will pay the price.

Letestu on the PP, and the McBlender. Both are mystifying. These guys must get confused sometimes who they're playing with.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703570 is a reply to message #703557 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkb19  is currently offline dkb19

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 24 November 2017 20:05

vsove wrote on Fri, 24 November 2017 19:56

Fire everyone.

I think the coach has to be standing on some pretty thin ice, but holy crap these players have to have some accountability too. Not being ready is as much on the players as the coach, but the coach will pay the price.

Letestu on the PP, and the McBlender. Both are mystifying. These guys must get confused sometimes who they're playing with.

I don't think it's the coach. I agree with button. This team is built wrong. It has gone the complete opposite direction from the fast but tiny team we had before. Some slow players simply have to be moved. Can't blame the driver for losing every race if he is racing in F1 but driving a KIA...even if it is a pretty KIA.

5 Cups and counting.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703555 is a reply to message #703544 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

It is starting to look more and more to me like TMac has lost the dressing room and that the players are tuning him out. If this is the case, then unfortunately, he needs to go- he's a good coach, but there is only so much he can do if the players are no longer willing to buy into his plan. The team needs a real taskmaster coach at this point because they aren't being nearly consistent enough with their effort on the ice. I refuse to believe that missing just 1 d-man from their roster caused this entire downslide from Game 2 onwards. Seriously, I hope Chia has been reaching out to Darryl to see how he feels about taking the reins.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703556 is a reply to message #703555 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Done with this season. Not subjecting myself to more tension headaches.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703593 is a reply to message #703556 ]
Sat, 25 November 2017 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jones25  is currently offline Jones25

No Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Fri, 24 November 2017 22:02

Done with this season. Not subjecting myself to more tension headaches.

The coach ought to go, and I agree what somewhat said above that the players may be turning on him a bit anyway, which just makes the whole 'winning thing' all that much harder.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703559 is a reply to message #703555 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 24 November 2017 18:59

It is starting to look more and more to me like TMac has lost the dressing room and that the players are tuning him out. If this is the case, then unfortunately, he needs to go- he's a good coach, but there is only so much he can do if the players are no longer willing to buy into his plan. The team needs a real taskmaster coach at this point because they aren't being nearly consistent enough with their effort on the ice. I refuse to believe that missing just 1 d-man from their roster caused this entire downslide from Game 2 onwards. Seriously, I hope Chia has been reaching out to Darryl to see how he feels about taking the reins.

He's a details coach, not a motivation coach. See his tenure with the Sharks. And the Oilers are sorely lacking in motivation.

Wonder if Ralph Krueger is getting tired of soccer? (probably not, just throwing it out there)

Darryl would be fun for a season or two, sounds like he's evolved a bit in recent times too.

This may not even be a coaching issue, we lost out veteran Drill Sgt when Hendricks walked. Right now I doubt the dressing room has anyone to keep people accountable. Chia should go out and find one or two.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 November 2017 20:08]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703561 is a reply to message #703559 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 24 November 2017 20:06

He's a details coach, not a motivation coach. See his tenure with the Sharks. And the Oilers are sorely lacking in motivation.

Wonder if Ralph Krueger is getting tired of soccer? (probably not, just throwing it out there)

Darryl would be fun for a season or two, sounds like he's evolved a bit in recent times too.

This may not even be a coaching issue, we lost out veteran Drill Sgt when Hendricks walked. Right now I doubt the dressing room has anyone to keep people accountable. Chia should go out and find one or two.

Pretty sad if a 4th liner is the missing link to keep the team work ethic up. Speaks volumes about the rest of the squad if that's the case.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703564 is a reply to message #703561 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 24 November 2017 19:12

Pretty sad if a 4th liner is the missing link to keep the team work ethic up. Speaks volumes about the rest of the squad if that's the case.

Doesn't matter what line he plays on, as long as he's a player and in the dressing room keeping people motivated and accountable. Not all leaders score goals, but they still lead. You can't just assign jersey letters based on stats.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703567 is a reply to message #703564 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 24 November 2017 20:26

Doesn't matter what line he plays on, as long as he's a player and in the dressing room keeping people motivated and accountable. Not all leaders score goals, but they still lead. You can't just assign jersey letters based on stats.

Excuse me. Pretty sad if ANY one player (including a former 4th liner/13th forward) is the missing link to keep the team work ethic up.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703576 is a reply to message #703567 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 24 November 2017 19:34

nullterm wrote on Fri, 24 November 2017 20:26

Excuse me. Pretty sad if ANY one player (including a former 4th liner/13th forward) is the missing link to keep the team work ethic up.

Even if Hendricks was a plug, if he kept the room accountable its worth more than this abomination we have now. A lot of young guys and nothing to stir the drink. They've had worse teams talent-wise in the past and showed way more compete level. Tons of talent and no one to keep the kids accountable or be the buffer between the coaches and players. No players only meetings that I've heard of yet to get the groups collective heads out of their butts. I think TMac is beyond what he can do now. Has he ever had a very young team or has it just mainly been vet laden like the Sharks? He needs to go and regardless, his assistants are not effective at the special teams. With improved PP and PK I don't see half as many losses as they have. Could just be a gut feeling though.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703560 is a reply to message #703555 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 24 November 2017 19:59

Just did not see effort by the players as being a potential threat going into this season, however, by eye we've seen it several times this year. I don't know if there's anything to be lost at this point by changing the guys behind the bench, pretty sad as TM like you say is a good coach, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's let go that he resurfaces as a head coach before the year is out.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703558 is a reply to message #703544 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

We have a knack for giving a struggling team or struggling player a confidence boost by playing like sh... Embarrassed to to be an oiler fan. If people have any brains, they'll start boycotting their games.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703565 is a reply to message #703544 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

edit: nvm, I misread the game times. Whew, Sunday Boston game is at 5pm. We have a chance. Not afternoon + recent embarrassment can sometimes = decent effort.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 November 2017 20:30]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703568 is a reply to message #703544 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

It's November 24th and I'm done following this team.

I just can't care anymore. They clearly don't, so why should I?

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703571 is a reply to message #703544 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

It’s grim.

Goaltending is a question mark again. Watching Lucic trying to get around out there is killing me. Thinking about his contract kills me a bit more.

This team rarely shows up to play. They chase the game almost every night. This team is really bad.

16/17 was a facade.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703594 is a reply to message #703571 ]
Sat, 25 November 2017 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stotto  is currently offline stotto

No Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 24 November 2017 20:53

It’s grim.

Goaltending is a question mark again. Watching Lucic trying to get around out there is killing me. Thinking about his contract kills me a bit more.

This team rarely shows up to play. They chase the game almost every night. This team is really bad.

16/17 was a facade.

Yep.

They are consistently inconsistent.

Stinkarama.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703596 is a reply to message #703594 ]
Sat, 25 November 2017 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

On the bright side. I keep watching the Las Vegas Golden Knights and thats a blue collar team that works hard every game and never seems to give up. Aren't deep with talent but if the Oilers had their hearts they would be in first place in this league. Pathetic. Where is Orval Tessier with the heart transplants?

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703597 is a reply to message #703596 ]
Sat, 25 November 2017 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

halfafrog wrote on Sat, 25 November 2017 09:18

On the bright side. I keep watching the Las Vegas Golden Knights and thats a blue collar team that works hard every game and never seems to give up. Aren't deep with talent but if the Oilers had their hearts they would be in first place in this league. Pathetic. Where is Orval Tessier with the heart transplants?

Vegas is really starting to make me feel like 80% of hockey now is the game plan and effort level. The last 20% separates the good teams from the great. As long as you have a little bit of talent on your team, if you have the game plan (that makes best use of what you have) and effort down, you can be a good team. Not sure we have any of the above working for us at the moment aside from the shot of high end talent at the top end of the team. In Bettman's parity league though, every year, the ability to make best use of what you're given is going to make more and more of a difference for what orders the middle group of 20-25 teams.

McLellan is still just waiting for the top end talent (that he can take a hands off approach coaching) of his team to tip the balance for him every night while everyone else on the roster is just aimless just hoping to not get scored on. The situation he could still have success with using his veteran all-star team in SJ (until he finally tanked the locker room and burned every bridge he had with the players). Not gonna happen, he's lucky it did last year.

[Updated on: Sat, 25 November 2017 10:03]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703600 is a reply to message #703597 ]
Sat, 25 November 2017 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

This is exactly it. T-Mac's inability or lack of desire to adjust his coaching style is what I think is killing the team. He and his assistants need to change the way the Oilers attack. We give up the puck, then have to fight for it and over and over, we lose that fight. I don't believe it's because our players are too slow, or they don't have the drive to get there first, but when you only play the game with one attack plan it's that much easier to defend, and other coaches adjust to it.
puck carrier dumps the puck in to the corner on his own side and chases the puck, the D on the puck carrier side steps in front and slows him down. The winger on the other side is supposed to head for the net, but the other defender is already too far back into their zone and retrieved the puck already.
every game... time after time...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703611 is a reply to message #703544 ]
Sat, 25 November 2017 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Pulju’s ice time has been declining, and practice lines today from stauffer have pulju out of the top 12. Ugh, this team.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703614 is a reply to message #703544 ]
Sat, 25 November 2017 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Cammalleri is now trying out C with McDavid on the RW.

Coach is officially out of ideas.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NHLbyMatty/status/934474493745029 120

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23) [message #703619 is a reply to message #703614 ]
Sat, 25 November 2017 13:06 Go to previous message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sat, 25 November 2017 12:04

Cammalleri is now trying out C with McDavid on the RW.

Coach is officially out of ideas.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NHLbyMatty/status/934474493745029 120

http://media.giphy.com/media/YZlQaMesgPIAM/giphy.gif

Solution to every problem for TMac is punishing the youngest talent and shuffling the players around it seems.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Previous Topic:Whose fault is this season?
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #23)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca