This day on August 17
None

Happy Birthday To: Slim Jim Phantom Call, Ingenious_OilerFan, copper&blue, annie01, Kaizzer3

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20)Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702937 is a reply to message #702896 ]
Sat, 18 November 2017 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Tough game, feel for Cammalleri having to come to a tenuous situation like this, leaving a good one in LA.

Honestly I didn’t think they played horribly, they had some blown coverages, some bad bounces and bad goaltending.

I hope they keep Caggiula and McDavid together, keep running with things the way they are.

Dallas was a desperate team having lost 3 in a row.

McLellan should’ve pulled Talbot after the second goal I thought.

The Bishop save on LD was the “TSN Turning Point”.

Just really tough game all around.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 November 2017 18:43]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702941 is a reply to message #702896 ]
Sat, 18 November 2017 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

I'm just tired of being an Oilers fan.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702959 is a reply to message #702896 ]
Sat, 18 November 2017 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

1) What is Kris Russell doing on the PP? Stupid to pay him 4 mil on a multi-year contract for his limitations when the team already has enough LH dmen. Will be a pricey waiver buyout when the Oil could use every penny with McDavid's contract kicking in next year.

2) No chemistry on that second line...yet. Painful to watch

3) This team could use Sekera back. Still not an excuse to suck this badly in a very winnable game. Almost a repeat of that Rangers game one week ago.

4) Can't stand attending day games like this. Got nothing done only to watch the Oil fart this one away like they've been doing all season

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702961 is a reply to message #702896 ]
Sat, 18 November 2017 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

Just imagine Dahlin managing zone exits next year! rock

computer

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702970 is a reply to message #702896 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Points - Maple Leafs 3rd overall. Oilers 29th overall.

GF - Maple Leafs 2nd overall. Oilers 29th overall.

Do the Leafs really have that much more talent on their roster than the Oilers?

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702971 is a reply to message #702970 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stotto  is currently offline stotto

No Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 06:38

Good point.

No, they don't but they do have a winning coach with a proven track record.

What has Mclellan or his crew ever won?

Time for this coaching staff to be gone.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702974 is a reply to message #702971 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

stotto wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 06:33

g2k wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 06:38

Good point.

No, they don't but they do have a winning coach with a proven track record.

What has Mclellan or his crew ever won?

Time for this coaching staff to be gone.

After having time to think and cool down, I still this coaching staff is useless. One point to help prove my argument. So they decide to split LD and McDavid up; totally fine with that and they put Drake in that RW role which I love because he thinks the game well, plays big for his size, has finishing ability, and has the speed to keep up. But where do they put LD? On that second line where Pool-Party was playing, why?! That line of Lucic-RNH-and JP were playing really well and finding some chemistry. Their offensive zone board play was good, and they have RNH out there to make up for the defensive shortcomings of a rookie and a slow power forward. LD should have went on a line with Strome and Cammaleri, switching between Strome and Leon at C. This creates balance, gives that "third line" easier matchups, and would likely kickstart Strome. If that line gets chemistry, then we have 3 lines that can essentially be rolled. Both Strome and Cammy have good shots and it would allow Leon to revert to his playmaking position. Leon still gets first unit PP time, and if we're in a spot where we need a 3rd period tying goal, replace him with Drake on the first line.

I also think the 4th line of Khaira-Letestu-Kassian is a hybrid third line as the wingers have the speed to retrieve pucks and force turnovers.

Obviously the D is thin, but if you have 4 balanced lines, puck possession becomes our friend rather than our enemy. And let's get Letestu off the 1st unit PP and put Strome there please for the love of god and I would much rather have Benning or Nurse on the 2nd unit PP than Rusty.

Bottom line, if the coaching staff can't even figure out some potential lines, then there's an issue. If you look at the great teams, Pittsburgh and Chicago for instance, they rarely load up one line. Chicago usually likes Toews on one line and Kane on another. Pittsburgh never has Crosby and Malkin playing on the same line. It's stupidity at this point.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 November 2017 09:44]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702976 is a reply to message #702896 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Looks like lots of media folks are using this game as a chance to show how brave they are, that even McDavid is not immune to their unbiased, no one off limits reporting. 2/3 D pairs couldn't defend to save their lives, Talbot couldn't stop anything. McDavid needs to recognize when he can't even risk a 2 on 2 rush against or a rush where a guy will be forced to the outside because McDavid should know guys could still score from behind our net.

Gotta play even more risk averse I guess.

Actually, not even McLellan was on board with the media guys trying to point a finger at McDavid. Surprisingly he said offensive stars need to be allowed to try things, and McDavid's misfortune was more a symptom of how he's simply out on the ice more than most anyone else on the team.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 November 2017 12:31]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702980 is a reply to message #702976 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 12:27

Looks like lots of media folks are using this game as a chance to show how brave they are, that even McDavid is not immune to their unbiased, no one off limits reporting. 2/3 D pairs couldn't defend to save their lives, Talbot couldn't stop anything. McDavid needs to recognize when he can't even risk a 2 on 2 rush against or a rush where a guy will be forced to the outside because McDavid should know guys could still score from behind our net.

Actually, not even McLellan was on board with the media guys trying to point a finger at McDavid. Surprisingly he said offensive stars need to be allowed to try things, and McDavid's misfortune was more a symptom of how he's simply out on the ice more than most anyone else on the team.

Real brave to print something after game 1 of a five game road trip.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702981 is a reply to message #702980 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 13:14

And when they know McDavid has a flu, and still managed 3 points.

But hey, Matheson says they used to give Gretzky heck too!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702982 is a reply to message #702981 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 13:30

Yup! Everything that worked in the 80's should working the late 00's and late 10's. Right? Why hasn't it worked? Here's a fun article.

http://thesportsdaily.com/the-oilers-rig/oilers-media-takes- the-easy-way-out-again/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=tw itter

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702983 is a reply to message #702982 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 12:32

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 13:30

Yup! Everything that worked in the 80's should working the late 00's and late 10's. Right? Why hasn't it worked? Here's a fun article.

http://thesportsdaily.com/the-oilers-rig/oilers-media-takes- the-easy-way-out-again/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=tw itter

Good article. My hope was that Nicholson was in charge of accountability and wouldn't stand for buddy hiring ineptitudness. I feel like the Lucic retirement contract was a buddy hire. So was Maclellan bringing his whole assistant staff when he was hired. I think the guns should be turned to Chia, Nicholson and of course Lowe. How long we have been talking about canning Kevin? It is just never going to happen.

The Lucic retirement deal. The top pick for a waiver wire defenseman. The Russell contract. The Eberle and Pouliot dumps. Picking Maclellan to coach and let him hire his own staff. So many reasons Chia should be questioned. But is he just the guy left holding the mess of Kevin/MacT eliminating the bridge deal to keep their stars from asking to be traded out of Edmonton? News flash Kevin, if your team is winning, the players will stay. I thought he knew a thing or two about winning!

Anyways I would like the media to ask Nicholson some hard questions but he never is made available to media. Actually since Katz bought the team things have been bad. Good luck getting him to answer tough questions. Actually good luck getting him interviewed by anyone not named Bob Stauffer.

It was said here a few posts ago that it is harder seeing the Oilers start to rise up to contender status and fall back to pretender after one season than 10 years of bottom feeding. I agree. This is starting to make me not care about the Oilers. Does anyone else here understand the gravity of that last sentence? I was born in 82. My first words were "number 99 number 99 Wayne Gretzky!" Hockey is culturally important to me. Hockey is part of me, flows through my veins, fills my brain with dreams. When my team does bad it kinda ruins my day! I live in a hockey city in Alberta Canada which has the best hockey player currently on the planet. That I am starting to care less about the Oilers is utterly insane!

My not caring attitude is a survival reflex based on being let down over and over and over and over and over again.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 November 2017 14:30]

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702984 is a reply to message #702983 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Xombie wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 14:28

Good article. My hope was that Nicholson was in charge of accountability and wouldn't stand for buddy hiring ineptitudness. I feel like the Lucic retirement contract was a buddy hire. So was Maclellan bringing his whole assistant staff when he was hired. I think the guns should be turned to Chia, Nicholson and of course Lowe. How long we have been talking about canning Kevin? It is just never going to happen.

Some people here were calling for Lowe's head in 2003-04. 14 years ago! 14 damn years. I jumped on board in 2007-08. I think you're right, Lowe is here for life.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702985 is a reply to message #702984 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 14:35

Some people here were calling for Lowe's head in 2003-04. 14 years ago! 14 damn years. I jumped on board in 2007-08. I think you're right, Lowe is here for life.

Lowe is just involved on the business side people. Well, except for when he's not.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703003 is a reply to message #702985 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 14:41

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 14:35

Lowe is just involved on the business side people. Well, except for when he's not.

When I first read this I got really worried: "Nicholson first contacted Chiarelli last Sunday, the day after the draft lottery. Talks escalated from there at warp speed. Chiarelli said the process was shortened because he already had good working relationships with Nicholson, Lowe and Katz, whom he got to know through his involvement with the 2014 Canadian Olympic team that won gold in Sochi, Russia." -Edmonton Journal Published on: April 25, 2015.

Seemed pretty OBC to me and I wondered if anything would really change. Not looking good right now.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702986 is a reply to message #702984 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

1 Cup

So heres a question. If the daggers come out for McDavid, shouldn't Lowe or Chia or someone come out from the shadows to take responsibility and act as a shield to take the heat off their 20 year old star captain a la Gretzky in the Salt lake Olympics? We call that "organizational leadership".

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #702987 is a reply to message #702986 ]
Sun, 19 November 2017 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Xombie wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 14:44

So heres a question. If the daggers come out for McDavid, shouldn't Lowe or Chia or someone come out from the shadows to take responsibility and act as a shield to take the heat off their 20 year old star captain a la Gretzky in the Salt lake Olympics? We call that "organizational leadership".

Ahahahahahahahahaha. No, but seriously.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703004 is a reply to message #702987 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

The owner at the car dealership where my wife works stays in Phoenix for 6 months every year. He golfs with one of Gary Roberts retired hockey clients almost every day. this guy still is extremely close to Roberts. He was saying that Mcdavid told Roberts a few weeks back he feels tired all the time & went for blood work to see if it was mono. He hasn’t heard anything since, but that might explain some of the defensive challenges Mcdavid has had this year. It is legit info direct from the source.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703005 is a reply to message #703004 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Jakey wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 07:56

The owner at the car dealership where my wife works stays in Phoenix for 6 months every year. He golfs with one of Gary Roberts retired hockey clients almost every day. this guy still is extremely close to Roberts. He was saying that Mcdavid told Roberts a few weeks back he feels tired all the time & went for blood work to see if it was mono. He hasn’t heard anything since, but that might explain some of the defensive challenges Mcdavid has had this year. It is legit info direct from the source.

Probably depression from having to play on a team run by morons.

All joking aside, I hope the info is false and McDavid is in perfect health, but if it is true, hopefully it is nothing serious.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703105 is a reply to message #703004 ]
Tue, 21 November 2017 09:50 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Jakey wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 07:56

Connor McMono. Yeah, we're extra screwed if that's the case. Better luck next year!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703009 is a reply to message #702987 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 14:53

Xombie wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 14:44

Ahahahahahahahahaha. No, but seriously.

If this was a good organization, then yes...someone would get out front and take responsibility so as to reduce the pressure on their 20-year old superstar...but it's a bullcrap organization and they're all too worried that taking responsibility might cost them their jobs.

I was always pretty impressed about Bob Gainey lighting up the Habs fans for booing one of their own defencemen...when it happens in Edmonton? The coach piles on and management starts looking to see how they can give the player away for nothing...

The coach and management should be protecting this team right now. It's a pretty tough environment right now, and they have a massive hill to climb if they want to make the playoffs. But it's easier to let the players take the blame and hope it keeps your job safe for another year...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703012 is a reply to message #702982 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 19 November 2017 13:32

I see your critical article, and raise you with some water-carrying ones...

#chopwoodcarrywater

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ cult-of-hockey-edmonton-oilers-fan-fallacies-at-the-2017-18- quarter-pole

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ good-news-in-edmonton-oilers-big-fat-ugly-season-adam-larsso n-keeps-getting-better

You see, the fans just have it wrong. And no one would have ever thought this team wasn't good enough. Certainly, no one said so in September (Leavins apparently doesn't visit our site).

And Chia's prize trade really IS working out great...it just seems like he's one-dimensional, but he's getting better and better! At least, if you subscribe to the David Staples made-up--stats-view of the hockey world.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703016 is a reply to message #703012 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 09:09

#chopwoodcarrywater

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ cult-of-hockey-edmonton-oilers-fan-fallacies-at-the-2017-18- quarter-pole

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ good-news-in-edmonton-oilers-big-fat-ugly-season-adam-larsso n-keeps-getting-better

You see, the fans just have it wrong. And no one would have ever thought this team wasn't good enough. Certainly, no one said so in September (Leavins apparently doesn't visit our site).

And Chia's prize trade really IS working out great...it just seems like he's one-dimensional, but he's getting better and better! At least, if you subscribe to the David Staples made-up--stats-view of the hockey world.

Fan fallacies. 29th in points. Look at the emperor's technicolor dream coat. The Oilers didn't need Eberle's scoring. Oops 29th in goals for. The Oilers didn't need to replace Sekera for 2 months and the Larsson trade is still great (Hall has 20 points) as proven by the Oilers being 22nd in goals against. Woot. Pay no attention to the looming cap hell. Let's hope the Canadian dollar is on the rise.

Oh, but at least the Jokinen signing was only a minor mistake, not a major one. Good to know.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703019 is a reply to message #703016 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 09:25

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 09:09

#chopwoodcarrywater

Fan fallacies. 29th in points. Look at the emperor's technicolor dream coat. The Oilers didn't need Eberle's scoring. Oops 29th in goals for. The Oilers didn't need to replace Sekera for 2 months and the Larsson trade is still great (Hall has 20 points) as proven by the Oilers being 22nd in goals against. Woot. Pay no attention to the looming cap hell. Let's hope the Canadian dollar is on the rise.

Oh, but at least the Jokinen signing was only a minor mistake, not a major one. Good to know.

That fan fallacies article is pretty crappy. Can't believe he tried to argue we has no choice but to sit on 8.6M of cap space because of bonuses. Pulju is getting max bonuses? It would have been easy to send him down for a while to ensure that didn't happen if we got some RW depth. We did it anyways without RW depth. All our fringe NHLer's are gonna be 60 point guys?

Even the most conservative view puts us around 5M of cap space that can be used. If the team did amazing spending to that level, maybe we have a penalty next year of a few 100k's, but it would have been well worth it.

And of course the idea the team isn't flawed. Russell at 4M was supposed to anchor a 2nd pairing until Sek was back to form (late Jan/Feb probably). Yeah, I'd say that's a flaw.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 November 2017 09:45]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703020 is a reply to message #703019 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 09:43

And of course the idea the team isn't flawed. Russell at 4M was supposed to anchor a 2nd pairing until Sek was back to form (late Jan/Feb probably). Yeah, I'd say that's a flaw.

Yeah, but nobody could have predicted that. More importantly, no one did. We're just as surprised at literally everyone who is just now noticing (at the exact same time) that he's not very good at NHL defense. It's just bad luck that we all noticed juuuuuuust after he signed a 4 year contract. Seriously, no one could have possibly predicted a year ago that the Oilers were not only going to resign him, but resign him at a premium and that he wasn't very good at what he does. Literally no one. It's pure happenstance that the other 29 NHL teams didn't bother to sign him until August in 2016.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703023 is a reply to message #703020 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 09:49

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 09:43

Yeah, but nobody could have predicted that. More importantly, no one did. We're just as surprised at literally everyone who is just now noticing (at the exact same time) that he's not very good at NHL defense. It's just bad luck that we all noticed juuuuuuust after he signed a 4 year contract. Seriously, no one could have possibly predicted a year ago that the Oilers were not only going to resign him, but resign him at a premium and that he wasn't very good at what he does. Literally no one. It's pure happenstance that the other 29 NHL teams didn't bother to sign him until August in 2016.

It's incredibly frustrating watching the water-carrying.

Pouliot has 6 goals already - yeah, but how many offensive zone penalties has he taken? -
Nevermind that the Oilers bloggers have pointed out he drew as many as he took, unlike guys like Lucic, Kassian, etc.

Yakupov has 6 goals already - yeah, but there was a game where his coach benched him...typical. Nevermind that he's on pace for 25 goals...just talk about the one game where he got disciplined and say he'll never change.

Eberle has 14 points this year - sure, but he is still soft, and he'll disappear when the going gets tough. Nevermind what he's actually doing and stick to the same narratives you used to defend a trade that was terrible when it happened, and looks even worse now that the predictable has happened.

Hall has 20 points in 19 games - yeah, but he's bad defensively, and he's bad in the room. - nevermind this from Woodguy on twitter:
Quote:

Over the last 4 years of Hall's time with EDM he was +7 (184-177).

The rest of the team was -168 (289-457).

and writers wonder why people call them out for this stuff.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703026 is a reply to message #703019 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Matt Henderson pulling no punches:

https://oilersnation.com/2017/11/19/after-one-quarter-has-ch iarelli-blown-this-season-for-edmonton-oilers/

Safe to say he's lost any chance he had at a Sportsnet gig now...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703040 is a reply to message #703026 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Pretty much sums up a lot of the collective Oilfans thoughts immediately following the offseason moves in question.

I have seen a few slam pieces on Chiarelli lately. None from the Edmonton MSM of course. I hope we will see slam pieces on how MacTavish, Lowe, and Howson are still in the organization. Probably not though. The whole reshuffling the deck chairs thing really did satisfy the majority.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703008 is a reply to message #702896 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

I think it's fair to call out McDavid if the team is performing poorly.

BUT

He shouldn't be the only one, management needs to take responsibility for this cluster of a team. You can bet that McDavid would stand up to the mic and take the complete blame for the team, and he would be the first one to say he needs to do better and not call out any one of his teammates or managers. He understands the game at a level most don't comprehend..

However, this shouldn't be him, not now. A guy with a rumoured cold nets 3 points in a losing effort, drags the team around trying to get a victory and our ever exalted media talks down to the fans of who is to blame from this pathetic streak of team success?

Get bent media. We have eyes, we see the same things you do and our opinions are more valuable than yours because we pay to see this. You don't. You tow the company line in the hopes mighty overlord JJ Herbert doesn't revoke your press credentials if you report unbiased opinion, you know from something non existent to you, you know... the facts.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703010 is a reply to message #703008 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 08:53

BUT

He shouldn't be the only one, management needs to take responsibility for this cluster of a team. You can bet that McDavid would stand up to the mic and take the complete blame for the team, and he would be the first one to say he needs to do better and not call out any one of his teammates or managers. He understands the game at a level most don't comprehend..

However, this shouldn't be him, not now. A guy with a rumoured cold nets 3 points in a losing effort, drags the team around trying to get a victory and our ever exalted media talks down to the fans of who is to blame from this pathetic streak of team success?

Get bent media. We have eyes, we see the same things you do and our opinions are more valuable than yours because we pay to see this. You don't. You tow the company line in the hopes mighty overlord JJ Herbert doesn't revoke your press credentials if you report unbiased opinion, you know from something non existent to you, you know... the facts.

I think the Oilers showed in the last MacT year how they handle criticism from one of their lapdogs. Benching Spector from the Sportsnet broadcast for calling out Lowe and MacT was the shot across the bow that they needed to get everyone back in line. You want access, you play ball. The trade-off is that the management will let you write hatchet pieces about any player, just so long as you never suggest that ownership or management is a problem.

And most of the Edmonton sports media are hacks who can't do any useful analysis, so they need access to survive. They're willing to make the devil's bargain.

And then if they're really nice, and do exactly what they're told, the team will leak juicy news to them, like pre-knowledge of the Hall deal, or the oh-so-important news that they would never have picked Barzal anyhow...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703037 is a reply to message #703010 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 09:02

BUT

I think the Oilers showed in the last MacT year how they handle criticism from one of their lapdogs. Benching Spector from the Sportsnet broadcast for calling out Lowe and MacT was the shot across the bow that they needed to get everyone back in line. You want access, you play ball. The trade-off is that the management will let you write hatchet pieces about any player, just so long as you never suggest that ownership or management is a problem.

And most of the Edmonton sports media are hacks who can't do any useful analysis, so they need access to survive. They're willing to make the devil's bargain.

And then if they're really nice, and do exactly what they're told, the team will leak juicy news to them, like pre-knowledge of the Hall deal, or the oh-so-important news that they would never have picked Barzal anyhow...

I mean you can call out McDavid all you want if you want but he is in on 50% of the goals....

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703038 is a reply to message #703037 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 10:55

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 09:02

BUT

I mean you can call out McDavid all you want if you want but he is in on 50% of the goals....

Yeah, but who needs goals to win in the NHL? The keys to success are corsi, cap space, and crunch. The three c's of hockey.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703043 is a reply to message #703038 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 10:57

Yeah, but who needs goals to win in the NHL? The keys to success are corsi, cap space, and crunch. The three c's of hockey.

Apparently McDavid isn't skating today, because he's been sick for several days - so says Jim Matheson, who's knife is still bloody from sticking it in #97's back on the weekend.

Maybe it's an indication that McDavid's soft. Should be able to fight through this. Besides, what does it say when your captain isn't taking the required spins on the ice at practice?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703044 is a reply to message #703043 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 11:37

Apparently McDavid isn't skating today, because he's been sick for several days - so says Jim Matheson, who's knife is still bloody from sticking it in #97's back on the weekend.

Maybe it's an indication that McDavid's soft. Should be able to fight through this. Besides, what does it say when your captain isn't taking the required spins on the ice at practice?

Matheson just called Chia out

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers /oilers-general-manager-peter-chiarelli-cant-escape-criticis m/wcm/14032189-9b47-4313-a364-062015d9d0f3

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703047 is a reply to message #703044 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 11:40

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers /oilers-general-manager-peter-chiarelli-cant-escape-criticis m/wcm/14032189-9b47-4313-a364-062015d9d0f3

It was interesting to read the responses to his tweets this weekend. He was roasted over and over for letting management off the hook, while going after the best player on the team.

Apparently it made an impression. It's a pretty soft slap to Chia...he hasn't taken the kid gloves off here, and you'll note that he's not going after Oilers management as a whole, but it's a start. Least spineless column for a while by an Oilers beat reporter.

Still covering on Barzal, as per the organization's request, and suggesting that rather than just flat out not doing anything to improve the roster, Chiarelli was just too loyal to Benning, Slepyshev, Caggiula and Kassian. Worth noting that none of those guys are way off their normal point per game pace other than Kassian who can't piss a drop.

I've seen a few places that the Oilers were counting on Caggiula and Slepyshev based on their playoffs, but both of those players (and Kassian) only had 3 points in 13 playoff games. That's only one more than the totally unacceptable production from Jordan Eberle. There was nothing in the post-season production that should have fooled anyone in to thinking they were prime-time top-six wingers now. It's not like they were the Fernando Pisani of 2016-17.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703056 is a reply to message #703047 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 10:53

It was interesting to read the responses to his tweets this weekend. He was roasted over and over for letting management off the hook, while going after the best player on the team.

Apparently it made an impression. It's a pretty soft slap to Chia...he hasn't taken the kid gloves off here, and you'll note that he's not going after Oilers management as a whole, but it's a start. Least spineless column for a while by an Oilers beat reporter.

Still covering on Barzal, as per the organization's request, and suggesting that rather than just flat out not doing anything to improve the roster, Chiarelli was just too loyal to Benning, Slepyshev, Caggiula and Kassian. Worth noting that none of those guys are way off their normal point per game pace other than Kassian who can't piss a drop.

I've seen a few places that the Oilers were counting on Caggiula and Slepyshev based on their playoffs, but both of those players (and Kassian) only had 3 points in 13 playoff games. That's only one more than the totally unacceptable production from Jordan Eberle. There was nothing in the post-season production that should have fooled anyone in to thinking they were prime-time top-six wingers now. It's not like they were the Fernando Pisani of 2016-17.

Also, doesn't bring up the Russell contract at all, or his level of play. Just blames Benning for not taking enough of a step to cover for Sekera's absence.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703057 is a reply to message #703047 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 11:53

At least a baby step :)

Surprised they didn't take McDavid being sick and away from practice as another chance to complain about his play without having to worry about someone asking McDavid about it in an interview.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703065 is a reply to message #703044 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jason Gregor with a tiny swat at management here as well:

https://oilersnation.com/2017/11/20/can-the-oilers-mirror-th e-flames-comeback/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Quote:

It would seem Peter Chiarelli’s plan was to clear up cap space, and then use it at the trade deadline to make a long run in the playoffs, but so far the Oilers are only wasting cap space.

The Oilers aren’t a small market team financially. They were a top-ten revenue generating team last season, and I question why Chiarelli has sat on his cap space for so long. There is no bonus for not spending to the ceiling and if the Oilers don’t start winning soon, then they won’t be in a position to acquire big-ticket free agents at the trade deadline.

I’m all for being patient, but the Oilers need to put together a good stretch of games quickly and Chiarelli can’t keep waiting to use his cap space. The slow start has put him in a position to look at making a move sooner than he’d like, but if he hadn’t begun the season with the hope all his young complementary players would blossom at the same time then the Oilers might have a few more victories.

The Oilers slow start is a collective effort. Management, coaching and the players have all played a part.

Very light taps by the media, but still...it's the bravest we've seen the Edmonton media in years.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703068 is a reply to message #703065 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 13:58

Jason Gregor with a tiny swat at management here as well:

https://oilersnation.com/2017/11/20/can-the-oilers-mirror-th e-flames-comeback/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Quote:

It would seem Peter Chiarelli’s plan was to clear up cap space, and then use it at the trade deadline to make a long run in the playoffs, but so far the Oilers are only wasting cap space.

The Oilers aren’t a small market team financially. They were a top-ten revenue generating team last season, and I question why Chiarelli has sat on his cap space for so long. There is no bonus for not spending to the ceiling and if the Oilers don’t start winning soon, then they won’t be in a position to acquire big-ticket free agents at the trade deadline.

I’m all for being patient, but the Oilers need to put together a good stretch of games quickly and Chiarelli can’t keep waiting to use his cap space. The slow start has put him in a position to look at making a move sooner than he’d like, but if he hadn’t begun the season with the hope all his young complementary players would blossom at the same time then the Oilers might have a few more victories.

The Oilers slow start is a collective effort. Management, coaching and the players have all played a part.

Very light taps by the media, but still...it's the bravest we've seen the Edmonton media in years.

The bravest they've been since the 9(?) days between MacTavish's press conference protecting Eakins and MacTavish firing Eakins.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703073 is a reply to message #703044 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

1 Cup

Lol That's about as mild a 'call out' as you could hope for. The first line spins his incompetence as if its a positive trait...loyalty!

I mean this seems to me like a guy, in Matheson who is so completely out of touch that he just realized over the weekend that there was actually a segment of fans who weren't lapping up his usual drivel and so he went to his buddy Lowe and got approval to write just enough of a critique so he could look like he is still relevant. Pulse of the fans that Matheson! #Scribe

Also Mcdavid is obviously soft. Kind of like Hemsky back in the day.
Wait a second...didn't Mcdavid miss practice today?? Nice work ethic 97. Cant even be bothered to practice with his teammates. I think its safe to say this isn't a guy you can build around.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #20) [message #703014 is a reply to message #702896 ]
Mon, 20 November 2017 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So, just to be positive, what IS working still with this team?

McDavid, Drai and Maroon are all matching their last year performance so far, on the stat sheet at least. Nuge has taken a big step forward, he looks way more confident out there. Lucic is a bit better than last year. Nurse-Larsson is playing like a legitimate top pairing.

Anything else?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #21)
Next Topic:Russell signs with Oilers 4yr 4M AAV
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca