This day on May 21
None

Happy Birthday To: smyth_fan94, chrisinbanff, jboyslim, michaelo

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #701844 is a reply to message #701840 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 10:05

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 10:00

Did the boys go on a 2 day bender after their win over the Devils and with a 2 pm game they hadn't quite slept it off yet? Even McDavid and Leon were bad.

I feel like poor preparation is a problem for this team again. How many games this year as the team looked ready to play from the puck drop? 2?

I seriously feel like I'm reliving the days of Eakins. Obsession with volume shooting (except on the PP for some odd reason), poor preparation, disaster special teams, coach loves talking about what everyone is doing wrong and specific players in the media.

Hey, he did make a point of saying he was singling out the line, not the individual player last night...

I think he believes that he shows off how smart he is by breaking down mistakes in the post-game scrum. And the media love it and encourage it, so he does it again and again night after night.

Just a terrible practice though, and it sure doesn't look like he has the team playing for him and responding well to his incessant scolding. I would bet that it's just as embarrassing for the player when you don't say his name, but talk about the mistake he made in a level of detail that makes it crystal clear to everyone who you're talking about.

Less is more, and he should be the shield between the media and fans and the player. He doesn't seem to ever do that. Just constantly throwing the players under the bus.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #701854 is a reply to message #701809 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 05 November 2017 23:25

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 00:16

I'd give Kassian 1st line minutes, has the 3 "S"'s, Speed, Size, and Skill to play with McD. Drop down either Maroon or Draisatl to the 2nd line. Lucic working his way to the 3rd line.

Kassian McDavid Draisatl

(Lucic/Cagguila) RNH Maroon

Or

Kassian McDavid Maroon

RNH Draisatl Cagguila

And the rest of the parts, assemble as required...

Lucic Letestu Slepychev

Pakirenen Khaira Strome

Not sure I agree that Kassian has the skill for a first line player. I think he can be okay in short stints there to cover, but he's got 1 measly assist in 13 games this year. I don't think he's gifted offensively.

I'd say he's as at least as gifted offensively as Maroon, but he's also one of the fastest in the lineup. Kassian has some good hands, he could score in the OHL, might be one of the few Oilers that can keep up to McD for some 2 on 1's, it would be worth a try, could also drop LD down to the #2 line. The lines have been stale since the season started, poor production, especially McD's line, he should be lighting it up,, but its usually him going 1 on 2 or 3, with LD and Maroon trying to catch up.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #701858 is a reply to message #701854 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 12:06

I'd give Kassian 1st line minutes, has the 3 "S"'s, Speed, Size, and Skill to play with McD. Drop down either Maroon or Draisatl to the 2nd line. Lucic working his way to the 3rd line.

Kassian McDavid Draisatl

Or

Kassian McDavid Maroon

RNH Draisatl Cagguila

Lucic Letestu Slepychev

Pakirenen Khaira Strome

Not sure I agree that Kassian has the skill for a first line player. I think he can be okay in short stints there to cover, but he's got 1 measly assist in 13 games this year. I don't think he's gifted offensively.

I'd say he's as at least as gifted offensively as Maroon, but he's also one of the fastest in the lineup. Kassian has some good hands, he could score in the OHL, might be one of the few Oilers that can keep up to McD for some 2 on 1's, it would be worth a try, could also drop LD down to the #2 line. The lines have been stale since the season started, poor production, especially McD's line, he should be lighting it up,, but its usually him going 1 on 2 or 3, with LD and Maroon trying to catch up.

I don't think Maroon is the problem. He has been producing reasonably well, especially compared to any one on lines 2-4.

Given the options I would not mind seeing Kassian up there on the RW, move Drai to the second line. The team NEEDS to get some more goals and perhaps Drai could drive that line. The PPG for McD and Drai may drop a bit but maybe the uptick in secondary scoring could be found to balance that out.

As an added bonus the "stop line 1 we beat the Oilers" strategy wouldn't be as viable.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #701860 is a reply to message #701854 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 11:06

I disagree on the Maroon/Kassian comparison. Maroon scored 27 goals last year, Kassian's career high in points is 29, and that came playing with the Sedins. He's got decent speed, but he lacks finish. Only cracked double digits in goals twice in his entire career. He had a pretty good season last year, his second best ever, and it saw him post 7-17-24.

I think he's better than his current numbers indicate, but I don't see him ever being a first line player in the NHL.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #701871 is a reply to message #701860 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 11:39

I disagree on the Maroon/Kassian comparison. Maroon scored 27 goals last year, Kassian's career high in points is 29, and that came playing with the Sedins. He's got decent speed, but he lacks finish. Only cracked double digits in goals twice in his entire career. He had a pretty good season last year, his second best ever, and it saw him post 7-17-24.

I think he's better than his current numbers indicate, but I don't see him ever being a first line player in the NHL.

Kassian has the wheels, no doubt, but yeah, there's little evidence of him as either a playmaker or a finisher, although he does create opportunities to do both. We've seen it in Edmonton where he creates great opportunties for himself that just don't cash in enough. Unfortunately it takes linemates who can finish to be a playmaker. The big ability Maroon showed last year was a sense of his skills and how best to use them to the best effect alongside McDavid.

At this point though, is there anything to be lost by moving Maroon off the 1st line and someone else on LW there? That's how Maroon got there last year, and I don't think anyone had him penciled in on McDavid's wing at the beginning of last season. He got his chance, checked Looch's boxes off when he did...and stole the job. Maybe Kassian can do that, who knows?

It's reflective on the wingers here and reflective on the braintrust that this conversation is being had.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #701883 is a reply to message #701871 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 12:44

Kassian has the wheels, no doubt, but yeah, there's little evidence of him as either a playmaker or a finisher, although he does create opportunities to do both. We've seen it in Edmonton where he creates great opportunties for himself that just don't cash in enough. Unfortunately it takes linemates who can finish to be a playmaker. The big ability Maroon showed last year was a sense of his skills and how best to use them to the best effect alongside McDavid.

At this point though, is there anything to be lost by moving Maroon off the 1st line and someone else on LW there? That's how Maroon got there last year, and I don't think anyone had him penciled in on McDavid's wing at the beginning of last season. He got his chance, checked Looch's boxes off when he did...and stole the job. Maybe Kassian can do that, who knows?

It's reflective on the wingers here and reflective on the braintrust that this conversation is being had.

I don't think anything is off the table to try...we don't have enough top six wingers anyhow, so some guy who should be bottom six is bound to be played up the roster.

I think you'd move him in to Draisaitl's spot and try Drai with Nuge on line 2. Kassian is a right shot, and Maroon's still producing this year. He had a seven game point scoring streak snapped last night.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #701924 is a reply to message #701860 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 10:39

I disagree, he hasn't played an entire year with the best player in the league, nor received 1st team PP time, nor anywhere close to the ice time Maroon has received, and back when he was playing withe the Sedins, he was a rookie, and likely dealing with some alcohol issues. He might not be a 1st line player in the NHL, but he could be a 1st line player on this current collection of Oilers.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #701861 is a reply to message #701854 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Kassian McDavid Draisatl

Or

Kassian McDavid Maroon

RNH Draisatl Cagguila

Lucic Letestu Slepychev

Pakirenen Khaira Strome

I have found Kassian pretty painful to watch this year. Guy is over handling the puck like crazy. And he is constantly confusing himself, not able to decide what to do. And when he finally makes a play, it's something that the opposition covered a second earlier in anticipation.

I do like his effort level, but not seeing a guy that is gonna do that much offensively in the end.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #701869 is a reply to message #701861 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 11:39

Kassian McDavid Draisatl

Or

Kassian McDavid Maroon

RNH Draisatl Cagguila

Lucic Letestu Slepychev

Pakirenen Khaira Strome

I have found Kassian pretty painful to watch this year. Guy is over handling the puck like crazy. And he is constantly confusing himself, not able to decide what to do. And when he finally makes a play, it's something that the opposition covered a second earlier in anticipation.

I do like his effort level, but not seeing a guy that is gonna do that much offensively in the end.

I have found most of the Oilers painful to watch this season. It's like an entire team funk. To win most games, your goalie needs to be better than the other guy. There hasn't been very many games where Talbot was the better goalie. The whole defense core except Nurse has times when they struggled. Klefbom looks this is is rookie year. The majority of the forwards including McDavid have looked sluggish.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #701874 is a reply to message #701861 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 11:39

Kassian McDavid Draisatl

Or

Kassian McDavid Maroon

RNH Draisatl Cagguila

Lucic Letestu Slepychev

Pakirenen Khaira Strome

He gives himself opportunities to make plays and to finish. The overhandling part and not making plays might have something to do with quality of linemates & their ability to be where they need to be for a scoring chance. The finishing part probably defies the odds. I think there's not much to be lost at this point in an experiment to give him a look.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #701886 is a reply to message #701874 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

One thing that I hope comes out of our terrible play is splitting up Leon and Mcdavid on 2 separate lines. We need to have them on separate lines and be driving factors for those lines.

Also maybe getting a better GM and coach but that will be too much to ask.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #701922 is a reply to message #701886 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Yes, split them up and give the team a bit more offensive depth making them harder to contain. Drai is a very good play maker in his own right. Playing with either one, Kassian would get more chances to score because he doesn't mind going to the net.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #701923 is a reply to message #701854 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Kassian McDavid Draisatl

Or

Kassian McDavid Maroon

RNH Draisatl Cagguila

Lucic Letestu Slepychev

Pakirenen Khaira Strome

It’s unfortunate that Kassian has such a muffin. Yes he has good hands for a big man, but that’s mostly his stick handling and work in tight quarters that at times results in glorious scoring opportunities that end up looking like a warm up shot on his own goaltender. The type where you flick it at the net on your off foot. It’s enraging.

I really hope he works on it. And if he already is, I hope he works much harder.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #701916 is a reply to message #701763 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Cool stat,

We had to kill 11 penalties in the 5 game home stand. We allowed 6 PP goals against, technically 7 because one last night was just as a PP expired.

So, we pretty much had a 36% PK rate over those 5 games. icon_thumbsup

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #701920 is a reply to message #701916 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 19:51

Cool stat,

We had to kill 11 penalties in the 5 game home stand. We allowed 6 PP goals against, technically 7 because one last night was just as a PP expired.

So, we pretty much had a 36% PK rate over those 5 games. icon_thumbsup

I can't believe the laundry guy has not yet been fired over this epically horrible special teams display.

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #702006 is a reply to message #701916 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jones25  is currently offline Jones25

No Cups

man, they can't get a win streak going to save their lives

Re: Review: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #13) [message #702007 is a reply to message #702006 ]
Tue, 07 November 2017 18:42 Go to previous message
Jones25  is currently offline Jones25

No Cups

This is a good summation: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/good-bad-ugly-oilers-star t-season/

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #14)
Next Topic:Upcoming Road Trip
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca