This day on August 17
None

Happy Birthday To: Slim Jim Phantom Call, Ingenious_OilerFan, copper&blue, annie01, Kaizzer3

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701776]
Sun, 05 November 2017 16:59 Go to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/927324142726144000

ETA all of the details from a series of tweets;

The trade is official. Now we have to find all the pieces. Duchene to OTT, Turris to NASH.

Avs broadcast says Avs get Samuel Girard and Vladislav Kamenev...

And a 2nd from Nash. Also Shane Bowers, Andrew Hammond, a first and a third from OTT

Turris is signing a 6 years, $36M deal in NASH

[Updated on: Sun, 05 November 2017 17:18]

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701777 is a reply to message #701776 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

Well, Chia can rest easy that, for tonight at least, he's only the second worst GM after Sakic.

Edit: Guess the story I heard of picks only wasn't accurate. Never mind, potentially.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701778 is a reply to message #701777 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

I though Sakic got a decent haul. This years draft is supposed to be deep.

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701779 is a reply to message #701778 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sun, 05 November 2017 17:32

Teach me to post before final details are in.

I will leave my post up as penance.

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701780 is a reply to message #701779 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

[quote title=vsove wrote on Sun, 05 November 2017 17:35]

As someone who has never ever said anything stupid on this board, I accept this post and your act of contrition.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701782 is a reply to message #701780 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

[quote title=CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 05 November 2017 17:38]
vsove wrote on Sun, 05 November 2017 17:35

As someone who has never ever said anything stupid on this board, I accept this post and your act of contrition.

On the bright side, Chia still holding down that 'worst GM' spot.

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701788 is a reply to message #701782 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 05 November 2017 17:38

vsove wrote on Sun, 05 November 2017 17:35

On the bright side, Chia still holding down that 'worst GM' spot.

He's not the worst, but he is nowhere good enough. His track record for returns on trading Class A assets is brutal.

Worst thing is the Oilers thought the guys they currently have on the team in support of McD were somehow good enough going into September. Shows a continued lack of ability in talent assessment by this franchise. Jokinen? Strome?

Oilers seem to admit it this, says a lot that Yakimoto is not back in the WHL because there are no better options available on the roster.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701789 is a reply to message #701788 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Making it worse Eberle is getting hot on the island now. I thought Strome was supposed to have more jam then Eberle.

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701791 is a reply to message #701789 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sun, 05 November 2017 17:06

Making it worse Eberle is getting hot on the island now. I thought Strome was supposed to have more jam then Eberle.

Strome's bigger, but he's more jelly than jam.

Slow, average hands, doesn't hit, not a high hockey IQ .. not much to be encouraged about .. But Chiarelli must have known something no one else does ...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701792 is a reply to message #701789 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

1 Cup

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sun, 05 November 2017 17:06

Ebs playing well with Barzal who we sent them for Griffin Reinhart...

So Avs get a first, a second, a third, a backup goalie (who likes cheeseburgers), and three youngsters.

Sens get Duchene.

Preds get Turris and sign him instantly to a 6 year deal.

If none of those kids make it for Colorado a la Forsberg, Poile wins this one.

[Updated on: Sun, 05 November 2017 18:36]

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701799 is a reply to message #701776 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Freakin Poile. Didn't have to give up one of his top 4 D. He has built great C depth now with Johansen-Turris-Bonino and has the best top 4D group in the NHL.

Really would be happy to see Nashville go all the way.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701801 is a reply to message #701776 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

What a trade. This is a really interesting deal put together, and I think it makes sense for all three sides.

Nashville: Gets the 2nd line centre that they need without giving up a current substantial roster player. The roster on paper, looks fully ready to challenge for the cup again.

Avalanche: SEVEN ASSETS! Seven...for a guy who hasn't scored more than 60 points in the last 3 years. When you acquire that many assets, you would think one will pan out just by sheer luck. Duchene is only signed until the end of next season. This is a very impressive return for a guy who requested a trade, isn't ever at the top of the league, and isn't signed long term. Sakic deserves full credit.

Ottawa: This is a pretty big overpayment for Matt Duchene, but it makes sense given Turris was not going to re-sign. He instantly signed a 6X6 contract with Nashville after the trade, so I think the writing was on the wall for Ottawa. They could either keep him and lose him for nothing, or trade him away. They essentially get a Turris replacement who is signed for a little longer. It keeps their window open for a team one OT goal away from a final. I don't think they could have got a Turris replacement last offseason (within their internal budget), so a trade for one makes sense.

Chiarelli and management can learn something here. When you really value your asset, you will get better deals. I don't believe for a second that Duchene is on a different level than Eberle. They have extremely similar production. Everybody knew that the Oilers were looking to get rid of Eberle. Obviously Sakic was looking to move Duchene, but he knew that his asset was valuable. He was fine keeping Duchene as long as it took until he had a good deal. You don't trade away 60 point players for peanuts. Meanwhile Chiarelli listens to offers for a few weeks and ends up taking a sole third liner in return and nothing else. He made everyone aware that Eberle was a goner, that they were going to move on, instead of valuing his asset. Chiarelli diminished Eberle's value. Sakic pumped up Duchene's value, he coveted the crap out of his asset. Sakic played his hand totally right, and it's embarassing that a former player did better with a very similar asset than a law graduate from Harvard.

Seriously, there is not much different about Duchene and Eberle other than position. Career PPG for Duchene is 0.73, Eberle at 0.75. Their contracts are both at 6M and end after next season. Both players had career lows in 2016-17 (Duchene with 41 points, Eberle with 51 points). Eberle is only one year older than Duchene. Yet Sakic comes away with 7 assets to work with, and we come away with a third liner. This should be a serious wake up call for management on how to manage their assets.

[Updated on: Sun, 05 November 2017 22:43]

Clean house or bust

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701802 is a reply to message #701776 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Sakic certainly got volume in this deal, but it's arguable what level of quality he got:

1st round pick (Ott)
2nd round pick (Nsh)
3rd round pick (Ott)
Andrew Hammond (G)
Vladislav Kamenev (F)
Samuel Girard (D)
Shane Bowers (F)

Hammond had a nice little run with the Senators a couple years ago, but there's nothing in his history to suggest that is likely to ever happen again. With Varlamov and Bernier in Colorado, he's just a salary dump for Ottawa.

Kamenev was a second round pick (42nd overall) in 2014. The winger has 8 points in 9 AHL games this year. 51 in 70 last year. Decent AHL stats, but 0 in 2 NHL games.

Girard was Nashville's second round pick in 2016 (47th overall). At 5'10 and 162 lbs, he's not exactly a bruiser. He was a high scoring CHL defenceman, and has 3 points in his first five NHL games this year.

Shane Bowers is a left-shot center who was the Sens 1st round pick (28th overall) this June. He's playing for Boston University this year where he has 6 points in 10 games.

That's a lot to get for one guy, but it's definitely a question as to how many of these guys are ever going to be every day NHLers. If I'm a Colorado Avalanche fan, watching my team get off to a decent start this year, I would be pretty upset. They've given up a player who's pretty good right now (10 points in 14 games) for a whole lot of maybe someday.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701818 is a reply to message #701802 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

I thought the big hold up for this trade was Sakic wasn't willing to trade until he got some plug and play players. I see a whole ton of draft picks and a bunch of prospects. I don't pretend to know the players but not one of them are NHL regulars.

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701843 is a reply to message #701802 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 05 November 2017 21:23

Sakic certainly got volume in this deal, but it's arguable what level of quality he got:

1st round pick (Ott)
2nd round pick (Nsh)
3rd round pick (Ott)
Andrew Hammond (G)
Vladislav Kamenev (F)
Samuel Girard (D)
Shane Bowers (F)

Hammond had a nice little run with the Senators a couple years ago, but there's nothing in his history to suggest that is likely to ever happen again. With Varlamov and Bernier in Colorado, he's just a salary dump for Ottawa.

Kamenev was a second round pick (42nd overall) in 2014. The winger has 8 points in 9 AHL games this year. 51 in 70 last year. Decent AHL stats, but 0 in 2 NHL games.

Girard was Nashville's second round pick in 2016 (47th overall). At 5'10 and 162 lbs, he's not exactly a bruiser. He was a high scoring CHL defenceman, and has 3 points in his first five NHL games this year.

Shane Bowers is a left-shot center who was the Sens 1st round pick (28th overall) this June. He's playing for Boston University this year where he has 6 points in 10 games.

That's a lot to get for one guy, but it's definitely a question as to how many of these guys are ever going to be every day NHLers. If I'm a Colorado Avalanche fan, watching my team get off to a decent start this year, I would be pretty upset. They've given up a player who's pretty good right now (10 points in 14 games) for a whole lot of maybe someday.

I agree that Colorado was probably looking to get an established NHL player back, but I think this is a pretty good return for a guy that scored 41pts last year, and was openly looking for a way out. Girard is the key piece I think: highest scoring defenceman in the Q last year, and the 2nd ranked prospect from a Preds system known for producing quality defencemen. He's not big, but as you said 3 points in his first 5 games. If the Avs don't Justin Schultz him, he could definitely be a player.

Compared to what the Oilers got for Eberle, this return boggles the mind.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701845 is a reply to message #701843 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 10:08

Adam wrote on Sun, 05 November 2017 21:23

1st round pick (Ott)
2nd round pick (Nsh)
3rd round pick (Ott)
Andrew Hammond (G)
Vladislav Kamenev (F)
Samuel Girard (D)
Shane Bowers (F)

I agree that Colorado was probably looking to get an established NHL player back, but I think this is a pretty good return for a guy that scored 41pts last year, and was openly looking for a way out. Girard is the key piece I think: highest scoring defenceman in the Q last year, and the 2nd ranked prospect from a Preds system known for producing quality defencemen. He's not big, but as you said 3 points in his first 5 games. If the Avs don't Justin Schultz him, he could definitely be a player.

That's just because you're not doing Chia-Math. Eberle scored just over 50 points last season. Strome scored 50 points once. So they're basically equivalent pieces! And Strome was cheaper, slightly younger and slightly bigger. What was Garth thinking!?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701864 is a reply to message #701843 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigred75  is currently offline bigred75

No Cups

Oilers got cap room, McDavid and Draisaitl.

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701865 is a reply to message #701864 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

bigred75 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 13:09

I honestly don't know if this a serious post.

At this point of the season if anyone still thinks the Eberle trade was a good one I am at a complete loss for how it could still be justified. Even the fan boy media is starting to give up on defending PC

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701868 is a reply to message #701865 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don't know enough about the players to know if Sakic got good value or not. He definitely got quantity but is it any good will be the question. When they traded O'Reilly to Buffalo, they got a lot of pieces but all the pieces were crap.

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701884 is a reply to message #701868 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 12:31

I don't know enough about the players to know if Sakic got good value or not. He definitely got quantity but is it any good will be the question. When they traded O'Reilly to Buffalo, they got a lot of pieces but all the pieces were crap.

I'd still be willing to give them crap pieces for Tyson Barrie...

How does Sakic feel about second generation players? I'm willing to part with a Simpson AND a Lowe!

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701888 is a reply to message #701884 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:31 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 13:25

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 12:31

I'd still be willing to give them crap pieces for Tyson Barrie...

How does Sakic feel about second generation players? I'm willing to part with a Simpson AND a Lowe!

I've been told that Fayne's advanced stats says he can play in your top 4. I haven't see the spread sheet to know if that is top 4 in the NHL or AHL. So I'd be willing to part with Fayne AND he's a right shot.

Re: Duchene to Ottawa. Turris to Preds, picks to COL [message #701872 is a reply to message #701864 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

bigred75 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 11:09

Avs got more cap room.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Previous Topic:Survivor XXXIX
Next Topic:Survivor XXXVIII
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca