This day on July 6
Acquired: Daniel Tjarnqvist (2006)
Departed: Ty Conklin (2006) Toby Petersen (2007) Brad Winchester (2007)

Happy Birthday To: Djwolfman, wolfman, OilFanAlways, Doushokutoaoiro, Dannycaper

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700938]
Thu, 26 October 2017 21:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

3 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Dallas to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700941 is a reply to message #700938 ]
Thu, 26 October 2017 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

Our special teams are garbage.

Clean house with this coaching staff.

EDIT: We win, because Nuge is my special little guy, but holy crap, those special teams are AWFUL.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 October 2017 21:53]

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700942 is a reply to message #700941 ]
Thu, 26 October 2017 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Special teams are memorably bad so far this year. Oilers are inept on the PK.

Completely awful.

Either not ready or a bad scheme. Bad coaching in either circumstance.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700958 is a reply to message #700942 ]
Thu, 26 October 2017 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Thu, 26 October 2017 21:32

Completely awful.

Yeah they were really pressuring play between the guy on the wall and the point man, it left that far side wide the eff open all night, midway to down low, as evidenced by the 2nd Dallas PP goal and I believe the 3rd as well. I hadn't seen that from the Oilers prior to tonight, that level of commitment to the pressure on the wall, maybe they should rethink that. They'll get killed by Washington & OV if they try to continue that on Saturday.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700959 is a reply to message #700958 ]
Thu, 26 October 2017 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 26 October 2017 22:10

Completely awful.

Yeah they were really pressuring play between the guy on the wall and the point man, it left that far side wide the eff open all night, midway to down low, as evidenced by the 2nd Dallas PP goal and I believe the 3rd as well. I hadn't seen that from the Oilers prior to tonight, that level of commitment to the pressure on the wall, maybe they should rethink that. They'll get killed by Washington & OV if they try to continue that on Saturday.

I bet that strategy works all the time in practice against our PP :)

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700960 is a reply to message #700959 ]
Thu, 26 October 2017 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 26 October 2017 22:12

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 26 October 2017 22:10

Completely awful.

I bet that strategy works all the time in practice against our PP :)

rofl No doubt.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #701016 is a reply to message #700959 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Funny!

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700952 is a reply to message #700941 ]
Thu, 26 October 2017 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

vsove wrote on Thu, 26 October 2017 21:29

One might think the team had lost with a post like this. Chill out. icon_neutral

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700955 is a reply to message #700952 ]
Thu, 26 October 2017 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 26 October 2017 21:48

One might think the team had lost with a post like this. Chill out. icon_neutral

3 shots total on the PP.

40% PK effectiveness.

Regardless of a win, that is ATROCIOUS. And our special teams have been crap all season long.

Woodcroft is hilariously ineffectual. We're just lucky that our 5 on 5 play managed to carry the night.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700974 is a reply to message #700955 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TeemaJeema  is currently offline TeemaJeema

No Cups

vsove wrote on Thu, 26 October 2017 21:53

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 26 October 2017 21:48

3 shots total on the PP.

40% PK effectiveness.

Regardless of a win, that is ATROCIOUS. And our special teams have been crap all season long.

Woodcroft is hilariously ineffectual. We're just lucky that our 5 on 5 play managed to carry the night.

Yeah agreed with Ragnarok.

The Oilers went 90% on this last 3 game road trip.

They'll figure it out.

Let's look at the positive in that DESPITE giving up 3 power play goals, they won it with their 5 on 5 play. That has to be a huge mental boost to the team.

And they got over 3 goals in a game for the first time this season. icon_thumbsup

Oiler Fan For Life.
Go Esks Go!

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700951 is a reply to message #700938 ]
Thu, 26 October 2017 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

NUGE IS THE BEST.

Now watch us trade him for Shipachyov.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700953 is a reply to message #700938 ]
Thu, 26 October 2017 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Wow, a goalie didn't play like the best there ever was against us. Weird.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700956 is a reply to message #700953 ]
Thu, 26 October 2017 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

Nice to finally get a couple of bounces go our way for a change.

Special teams = puke

Awesome game by Nuge. Thought Strome looked decent too. Lucic really needs to cash in on some of those glorious chances he's getting.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700957 is a reply to message #700938 ]
Thu, 26 October 2017 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

In the context of this season, that's a huge, huge win.

Not a well-refereed game by any means. Ticky tack calls and some missed including the butt-end/high stick to Letestu's face seconds prior to Benn's second goal. If not for a PK running at what....40% this game, this was not particularly close. If the PK is this bad, you just can't take those calls, no matter how bad the officiating.

If Nuge and his line can continue to produce like tonight, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to park Drai up on the 1st line. Nuge had a game tonight, came back from sharing blame for a defensive miscue on the 1st goal against and a less than stellar start on the dot, to win 2-3 key draws they needed, and a couple big goals when they needed them most. Draisaitl I thought was quiet in terms of chances, but 3 assists due to his passing ability. Should have had 4 assists if only Lucic had hands.

I thought they played a decent game 5x5. Bottom 6 had some zone time, which was good, but need to kick the odd one in. Gotta lock that PK down, can't be giving up 3 on 5 opportunities. Gotta build on this.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700968 is a reply to message #700938 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

reffing was brutal, Letestu gets a butt end square in the mouth on a face off during a PK, refs are blind to it, Benn then scores on the PP 12 seconds later. McDavid gets hauled down on a breakaway, no call, luckily gets another one 30 seconds later and scores.

btw, anyone see the sneaky slew foot Roussel did on Khaira behind the net, a subtle leg drag, took out Kaira's legs from behind, dangerous cheap shot. Same guy who went knee on knee with Ebs back in the AHL, dirty player, glad Gryba tuned his piano.

Oh, a miracle. Pitlick doesn't score, or get injured! Win win for everyone.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700969 is a reply to message #700938 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

One thing Benning's goal illustrates so well is that our D and forwards need to get off quicker shots, they pass well east to west, but never take advantage of the defensive movement, need to get the shots off while they are still moving, that's why Letestu scores so much on the PP, its off quick, our defense is the worst at it except for rare moments..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700975 is a reply to message #700969 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Big win for the Oilers. Yes you would like to tighten things up defensively especially on the PK but that win last night probably let a few people take a big breath as I think there were a lot of guys gripping the stick pretty tight. They got a ton of goals 5 on 5. They got goals from different players other than McDavid, they got some bounces and they were able to come back in a game.

They still have a ways to go but with the road trip and last nights game, they are slowly starting too look like the scrappy team that was never out of a game and found ways to score and win games.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 October 2017 08:23]

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700978 is a reply to message #700975 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jones25  is currently offline Jones25

No Cups

Finally! A much-needed win - yay

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700983 is a reply to message #700969 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt is currently online Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I cant remember who it was, but in one game earlier this year an opposing player scored against us twice with a grand total of 0.6 seconds of holding the puck in our zone.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700990 is a reply to message #700938 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Just feel I need to make sure I give a big thumbs up to the refs last night for letting a career minor leaguer (95 NHL games at 27 years old) Pateryn take runs at, gets his hands in the face of, and get late hits at the future (current?) face of the league, Connor McDavid. Well done NHL, well done.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700992 is a reply to message #700990 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I loved it when short handed McDavid was about to split the Dallas defense at the Dallas blue line. One of or more correctly both of the Dallas players dragged McDavid to the ice. McDavid gets up, looks towards the ref and he is just standing watching this all happen 30 ft in front of him.

I guess the reining Art Ross, Ted Lindsay and league MVP hasn't "earned" the respect of the NHL refs yet to get very many calls unless they absolutely have to. icon_rolleyes The NHL and their refs are really pathetic sometimes.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700991 is a reply to message #700938 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

The Oilers are 3 points out of a Playoff spot with only 73 games to go.

Seems insurmountable, been a fun season guys, I'm out.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #700997 is a reply to message #700991 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Fri, 27 October 2017 10:10

The Oilers are 3 points out of a Playoff spot with only 73 games to go.

Seems insurmountable, been a fun season guys, I'm out.

Passing 6 teams man, I dunno. icon_lol

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #701022 is a reply to message #700997 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

There isn't really a thread for this so I will just say it here.

I am listening to the Gregor show with Strudwick and they have Lowetide on right now. They just finished talking about the PK and the 4th line. They brought up Khaira who apparently was decent last night in a 4th line role but he took a bad penalty. Then they brought up Malone who's a little older, more experience, is a 4th liner, a center, does PK work and played pretty well when he was up for a short time with the Oilers. There is no spot for Malone right now.

For the record I like Khaira on paper. He is big, can skate a little, has some toughness, has a physical side, can play center or wing. His offensive abilities is questionable but overall he looks like he has what it takes to be a decent 4th liner. His biggest problem is consistency. He doesn't bring it enough and still hasn't figured out what he needs to do on a nightly basis to make an impact and stay in the line up. Where as Malone when he was up brought it by all accounts he played like you expect a 4th line center. Won some faceoffs, killed some penalties, brought energy, physical play, ran around and played every shift as if it was his last. Everything you would expect a 4th line player to do. The concern with swapping out Khaira for Malone is you risk losing him on waivers.

My question is. Should potentially losing Khaira on waivers really be a big concern? I said, I like the potential of Khaira and I never like losing a player for nothing but he's a 12/13th forward at this point. I don't see him being anything more than a good 4th liner if he ever figures it out. He still hasn't established himself as a full time NHLer and if there are guys who want his job more and can do his job better right now, shouldn't that be the #1 priority rather than worrying about losing him? I am not an NHL exec but I have to think that finding an extra 12th or 13th forward if you lose Khaira can't be that hard.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 October 2017 15:51]

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #701023 is a reply to message #701022 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I would tend to agree - I don't imagine anyone's claiming Khaira off waivers and if they are, well, you're losing a 4th liner who hasn't really shown much.

Malone played reasonably well when he was up here and I would've rather had him on the ice than Khaira. Which is too bad - I liked what I saw from Khaira in the preseason, but he hasn't impressed in the regular season thus far.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #701024 is a reply to message #701023 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

vsove wrote on Fri, 27 October 2017 15:53

I would tend to agree - I don't imagine anyone's claiming Khaira off waivers and if they are, well, you're losing a 4th liner who hasn't really shown much.

Malone played reasonably well when he was up here and I would've rather had him on the ice than Khaira. Which is too bad - I liked what I saw from Khaira in the preseason, but he hasn't impressed in the regular season thus far.

I never quite understand the fear of losing bubble players on waivers. There's nothing that Khaira has in his toolbox that's not easily replaced. If we want a big guy who can't pass or score but who can hit sometimes, they're always available.

If we have better options available, it seems self-defeating to choose to not use them on the basis of waiver eligibility. Risk losing Khaira, and ice the best possible lineup.

If we DO lose him? It frees up a contract spot too, which means more flexibility for the team.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #701026 is a reply to message #701023 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 27 October 2017 16:04

vsove wrote on Fri, 27 October 2017 15:53

I never quite understand the fear of losing bubble players on waivers. There's nothing that Khaira has in his toolbox that's not easily replaced. If we want a big guy who can't pass or score but who can hit sometimes, they're always available.

If we have better options available, it seems self-defeating to choose to not use them on the basis of waiver eligibility. Risk losing Khaira, and ice the best possible lineup.

If we DO lose him? It frees up a contract spot too, which means more flexibility for the team.

I agree. If your teams fortunes rest on if you lose a borderline NHLer to waivers, you have way bigger problems. But yet I have heard this argument from Gregor and Struds and Lowetide to name a few. I know they are just radio personalities and I take what they say with a grain of salt but I am surprised they think it is something to at all be worried about. Maybe in the past when the Oilers were so bad and lacked so much depth they couldn't afford to lose even borderline NHLers it would be a concern but I hoped/thought they had gotten past that point.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #701027 is a reply to message #701022 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 27 October 2017 15:48

I am listening to the Gregor show with Strudwick and they have Lowetide on right now. They just finished talking about the PK and the 4th line. They brought up Khaira who apparently was decent last night in a 4th line role but he took a bad penalty. Then they brought up Malone who's a little older, more experience, is a 4th liner, a center, does PK work and played pretty well when he was up for a short time with the Oilers. There is no spot for Malone right now.

For the record I like Khaira on paper. He is big, can skate a little, has some toughness, has a physical side, can play center or wing. His offensive abilities is questionable but overall he looks like he has what it takes to be a decent 4th liner. His biggest problem is consistency. He doesn't bring it enough and still hasn't figured out what he needs to do on a nightly basis to make an impact and stay in the line up. Where as Malone when he was up brought it by all accounts he played like you expect a 4th line center. Won some faceoffs, killed some penalties, brought energy, physical play, ran around and played every shift as if it was his last. Everything you would expect a 4th line player to do. The concern with swapping out Khaira for Malone is you risk losing him on waivers.

My question is. Should potentially losing Khaira on waivers really be a big concern? I said, I like the potential of Khaira and I never like losing a player for nothing but he's a 12/13th forward at this point. I don't see him being anything more than a good 4th liner if he ever figures it out. He still hasn't established himself as a full time NHLer and if there are guys who want his job more and can do his job better right now, shouldn't that be the #1 priority rather than worrying about losing him? I am not an NHL exec but I have to think that finding an extra 12th or 13th forward if you lose Khaira can't be that hard.

Too bad we're in this position with Khaira. He really should still be in the AHL. As you say, his effort level is still way too inconsistent. He can look like an absolute dog out there far too frequently. If you are icing the best lineup, I think for sure you put Malone in instead.

I do have a hard time seeing Khaira being claimed. But, if he is, that's a freed up contract spot, something that is like gold to our team now through fault of our own.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #701028 is a reply to message #701027 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 27 October 2017 16:09

Too bad we're in this position with Khaira. He really should still be in the AHL. As you say, his effort level is still way too inconsistent. He can look like an absolute dog out there far too frequently. If you are icing the best lineup, I think for sure you put Malone in instead.

I do have a hard time seeing Khaira being claimed. But, if he is, that's a freed up contract spot, something that is like gold to our team now through fault of our own.

I didn't think he should be in the AHL. I thought this was his year to finally make the team full time. I thought he was the logical replacement for Hendricks. In my opinion, he did win a spot. He earned it. He skated, was physical, tough, won some draws, scored some goals. I thought he had a great preseason and did exactly what he needed to win a 4th line spot. He's just a 4th liner but I am really disappointed in him. I don't know what happened from the preseason to the regular season but he's been terrible. I had hoped he was going to be this years Pitlick. A guy the Oilers drafted, have spent a ton of time and money developing and it finally clicked in for him. He's been a major disappointment.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #701029 is a reply to message #701028 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 27 October 2017 16:14

I didn't think he should be in the AHL. I thought this was his year to finally make the team full time. I thought he was the logical replacement for Hendricks. In my opinion, he did win a spot. He earned it. He skated, was physical, tough, won some draws, scored some goals. I thought he had a great preseason and did exactly what he needed to win a 4th line spot. He's just a 4th liner but I am really disappointed in him. I don't know what happened from the preseason to the regular season but he's been terrible. I had hoped he was going to be this years Pitlick. A guy the Oilers drafted, have spent a ton of time and money developing and it finally clicked in for him. He's been a major disappointment.

I honestly think he only had like 2 good games last year out of his 10. He had one epic Jujhar Hockey night where he scored (his 1 career NHL goal). And it was super fun to say Jujhar Hockey. And then he had a kinda OK game a bit later so Jujhar Hockey could still be relevant, and then meh.

Decent pre-season for sure, but he really tailed off there too before the season started. Honestly, the guy has had maybe 4 or 5 good NHL games in his career so far. last year was his first AHl season where he looked like he could be a semi-consistent producer in the AHL. I really think he's a case where some over-ripening was needed.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #701030 is a reply to message #701029 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 27 October 2017 16:22

I honestly think he only had like 2 good games last year out of his 10. He had one epic Jujhar Hockey night where he scored (his 1 career NHL goal). And it was super fun to say Jujhar Hockey. And then he had a kinda OK game a bit later so Jujhar Hockey could still be relevant, and then meh.

Decent pre-season for sure, but he really tailed off there too before the season started. Honestly, the guy has had maybe 4 or 5 good NHL games in his career so far. last year was his first AHl season where he looked like he could be a semi-consistent producer in the AHL. I really think he's a case where some over-ripening was needed.

I believe he needed to go through waivers to go down even after the preseason. In saying that, you might be right that he still needed some seasoning but again what is his realistic career potential? 4th line center. If you as an organization can't withstand losing a guy who maybe might be an OK 4th line center one day, you have some serious organizational problems.

If they were to put Khaira on waivers and lose him, what happens? They could play Jokinen as their 4th line center and put Pakarinen back in the line up. Pakarinen is a decent PK guy. They could call up Malone and have him take Khaira's spot. Either way, I don't think they are worse off, they might even be better.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 October 2017 16:28]

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #701031 is a reply to message #701030 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 27 October 2017 16:25

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 27 October 2017 16:22

You might be right but again what is his realistic career potential? 4th line center. If you as an organization can't withstand losing a guy who maybe might be a decent 4th line center on day, you have some serious organizational problems.

Yeah, definitely agree, 4th liner seems to be his max potential right now. I don't think it's worth worrying about. We baaaaadly need some guys that can bring a good PK effort right now, and even a consistent effort on the 4th line. Good effort from Khaira last game, but that might be followed by a bunch of poor ones again. Malone was giving a consistent veteran type effort that we need when we were playing him.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #701032 is a reply to message #701031 ]
Fri, 27 October 2017 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 27 October 2017 16:29

Yeah, definitely agree, 4th liner seems to be his max potential right now. I don't think it's worth worrying about. We baaaaadly need some guys that can bring a good PK effort right now, and even a consistent effort on the 4th line. Good effort from Khaira last game, but that might be followed by a bunch of poor ones again. Malone was giving a consistent veteran type effort that we need when we were playing him.

I think the Oilers need to realize that 4th line minutes are important too. Guys who can't be relied on to provide any offence at all shouldn't be candidates - even if they can land a hit sometimes. Khaira's never shown great numbers at any level, so he's never been a good bet as a fourth line player - and certainly shouldn't have won a one-way contract. Going in to this season, he'd played in 25 NHL games and provided 1-2-3. What about that made anyone think he was a slam dunk for an NHL job?

People were giddy about his pre-season, but only because people never really accept that pre-season is a small sample size with non-normal circumstances (players who don't care, players who don't belong) and that it's actually completely meaningless.

The idea of the "energy line" is a terrible one and the sooner the Oilers realize that, the better. Find kids who can skate and score and outplay other team's fourth lines. That should be the only priority when picking fourth liners.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #701043 is a reply to message #701032 ]
Sat, 28 October 2017 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jones25  is currently offline Jones25

No Cups

Quote:

The idea of the "energy line" is a terrible one and the sooner the Oilers realize that, the better. Find kids who can skate and score and outplay other team's fourth lines. That should be the only priority when picking fourth liners.

I couldn't agree more. Their third and fourth lines need work.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #701052 is a reply to message #701043 ]
Sat, 28 October 2017 16:12 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Jones25 wrote on Sat, 28 October 2017 15:51

Quote:

I couldn't agree more. Their third and fourth lines need work.

Speaking of energy players - if you really believe that momentum turns on a fight, and your team just scores an important goal and has the momentum, then why do you drop your gloves off the next face-off, simply because some goof on the other team wants to go in an effort to change the momentum?

That's a couple times we've seen Oilers dumb enough to oblige this year. If you think it's a potential game-changing event, then don't accept unless there's a good reason to do it. Simply being asked isn't a good reason.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #10)
Next Topic:16th pick
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca