This day on July 1
Acquired: Jochen Hecht (2001) Marty Reasoner (2001) Joni Pitkanen (2007) Geoff Sanderson (2007) Dick Tarnstrom (2007) Gilbert Brule (2008) Erik Cole (2008) Nikolai Khabibulin (2009) Kurtis Foster (2010)
Departed: German Titov (2000) Michel Riesen (2001) Igor Ulanov (2001) Doug Weight (2001) Joffrey Lupul (2007) Jason Smith (2007) Raffi Torres (2008) Joni Pitkanen (2008) Dwayne Roloson (2009) Charles Linglet (2010)

Happy Birthday To: P.I.H., Raffman, Wallace1, WattyB, skyismine, oilinjapan, gagner89, OIL in THE blood, olbaaja

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699869 is a reply to message #699867 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 09 October 2017 20:54

ziltoid wrote on Mon, 09 October 2017 20:52

At the very least break up that Russel - Benning pairing; it's been a tire-fire the last 5 periods.

I have trouble imagining what you create with them broken up... Think it might actually be worse.

Gryba the least trusted d-man so far this year, but taking him out means Auvitu in...and is anyone that confident that that's the missing ingredient?

Maybe Sekera will suddenly be declared healthy?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Send a private message to this user  

Re: GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699870 is a reply to message #699827 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

It's Yamamoto or bust. Never allowed to ever try Nuge on the 1st line RW. It's against the law.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699871 is a reply to message #699827 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

What's this? Constant pressure due to multiple lines actually being able to do stuff?

Man, if Larsson had a decent shot, he could have 3 or 4 goals already this year hehe. He's putting himself in good spots, just can't finish.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699873 is a reply to message #699871 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Ugh. I hate to say it but I totally saw this coming.

The Oilers are still a work in progress and the Jets are a good team when they play smart and stay out of the box.

I hate jinxing the Oil however totally saw this coming.

Re: GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699872 is a reply to message #699827 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Well, here's hoping that the Oilers are showcasing Pakarinen for Vegas in hopes of adding a defenseman (specifically Colin Miller).

I'm not surprised with the last couple games, at least not entirely. Right-wing and defense were areas of concern for most of last year, and all of the summer once Sekera got injured. They were never properly addressed this summer, IMO. Benning is struggling in the Top-4, and there isn't any other option. Strome, Puljujarvi, and Caggilua aren't in the Top-6, and we have this weird blend of unproven wingers hoping something clicks.

Cam Talbot is shaky, but he typically has started seasons that way before getting it together. He looked good in pre-season though, and I had hoped we wouldn't see this. He'll be okay if Oilers can weather the storm.

I've been a little surprised with just how easy the Oilers have allowed entry, and how they are getting beaten to pucks in their own end. Both of Ehlers goals were pretty fugly coverage by the Oilers.

Have to say I really have liked Nugent-Hopkins and Draisaitl's games tonight, though. Nuge is playing more inspired and with more battle than I've seen in a few years.

Re: GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699877 is a reply to message #699827 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

have to laugh at that weak call with 2 mins left. Not that the OIlers deserved better.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699879 is a reply to message #699827 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

1 Cup

Chose to watch the rest.

Regretting my choice. An extra hour of sleep would've been great.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699891 is a reply to message #699827 ]
Mon, 09 October 2017 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Oilers apparently aren't as good as their press.

Benning has not looked good at all, him and Russell are a tire fire. Talbot looking like a backup.

I expect more of the same, Oilers haven't even played any playoff contenders yet and they are already stinking out the arena. Tents getting folded by the period.
Anybody not named McDavid, or Kassian, should be getting more involved physically or sent packing, brutal fore check. Zero desire and/or hunger being demonstrated, I think they expected McD to carry them on his back for 82 games.

Unimpressive efforts in a come back game. This train could be off the tracks for a long time.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699894 is a reply to message #699891 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 09 October 2017 23:45

Benning has not looked good at all, him and Russell are a tire fire. Talbot looking like a backup.

I expect more of the same, Oilers haven't even played any playoff contenders yet and they are already stinking out the arena. Tents getting folded by the period.
Anybody not named McDavid, or Kassian, should be getting more involved physically or sent packing, brutal fore check. Zero desire and/or hunger being demonstrated, I think they expected McD to carry them on his back for 82 games.

Unimpressive efforts in a come back game. This train could be off the tracks for a long time.

Lucic has been physical at least. He's crushed a couple of guys this season already.

I don't disagree though. An awful lot of players who need to be better, and the coach may need to make more adjustments than simply mixing the lineblender.

The holes that everyone saw before the season sure look like they're still holes.

And the Oilers are taking more penalties than they're drawing three games in, which is a pretty big problem.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699918 is a reply to message #699894 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 07:15

Lucic has been physical at least. He's crushed a couple of guys this season already.

I don't disagree though. An awful lot of players who need to be better, and the coach may need to make more adjustments than simply mixing the lineblender.

The holes that everyone saw before the season sure look like they're still holes.

And the Oilers are taking more penalties than they're drawing three games in, which is a pretty big problem.

Yeah Lucic has created a few Scud like craters along the boards, but it doesn't seem to create turnovers. But yeah its better than a fly-by.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699919 is a reply to message #699918 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 15:36

Adam wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 07:15

Yeah Lucic has created a few Scud like craters along the boards, but it doesn't seem to create turnovers. But yeah its better than a fly-by.

I feel like Lucic and Nuge have been what you can expect from them. They've been handicapped by a rotation on the wing including in-game and never playing with an established top-six forward.

There's all kinds of praise being showered on Kassian for his play there, but really, he has one assist in three games. It's not like he's lighting it up. One good scoring chance too, that he probably should have scored on.

Lucic has a couple of points, and has been somewhat physical. I wish the coaching staff could convince him to defer to his linemates, because I'd much rather see Nugent-Hopkins skating with the puck than Lucic. He should be more of a distribute-and-get-open player at this point in his career, because he is so rarely successful at lugging the puck around. That line has also bought in to the McLellan system, dumping the puck in and chasing, which I wouldn't mind seeing a whole lot less of.

Again, I wonder what that looks like with Draisaitl instead of the rotating RW/Kassian. Might be a big step up.

Re: GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699932 is a reply to message #699919 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 10 October 2017 16:06

That line has also bought in to the McLellan system, dumping the puck in and chasing, which I wouldn't mind seeing a whole lot less of.

I've talked about this before, but worth mentioning again.

In and of itself, I don't think dump and chase is an evil. In my mind, it is exactly like running the ball in football. In football, you use the run game to open up the pass game; in hockey, you dump and chase to open up the ability to carry the puck in. If you never dump the puck in, it's easy for defensemen to cheat and play you at the blueline. Mixing in some dump and chase keeps them honest.

There's two things to this though: you have to win those races to the pucks, and the ultimate goal is to open things up to carry the puck in more often.

Too often the Oilers dump the puck in, but they get soundly beat to it. It's one thing to tie the defense up; it's another to have them beat you cleanly and turn the puck up ice. Kassian, Slepyshev... those guys are pretty good at puck retrieval and can often get in quickly and regain possession. Guys like Lucic, Strome, Pakarinen... personally, I haven't seen them have success in this; guys like Caggiula and Yamamoto are too small, and just physically can separate the puck from the defense in this way.

I think there's a place for dumping the puck in for retrieval within a system, but it needs to be used by the right players, much like many other aspects of a game plan.

Re: GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #699895 is a reply to message #699891 ]
Tue, 10 October 2017 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Benning forget how to play hockey? He's making Gryba look like an elite puck mover and his defensive zone coverage is brutal. You expect to see the odd yip from a second yr dman but holy crap he looks terrible.
It's time to break up McDavid and Leon for good. You can always go back to it if you need a goal but you need the offensive diversity in the lines. I would go:

Maroon - McDavid - Strome
Lucic - Leon - Slep
Jokinen - Nuge - Kassian

You can flip flop RW's if you want. Put Nuge on McDavid's/Leon's wing if you really like Strome at center but Leon and McDavid have to be on different lines.

Re: GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #700014 is a reply to message #699895 ]
Sat, 14 October 2017 09:07 Go to previous message
Jones25  is currently offline Jones25

No Cups

Quote:

I don't think it's too early to worry. On Oilfans we've collectively identified a few areas where the Oilers might have gotten worse or simply failed to improve over the off season. Right now, in my opinion, it's too early to assume we're right and it can't be fixed.

I'm new here but been lurking for a bit. I agree with the above. Things can get better. Like someone else said, Lucic has been physical at least!

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #4)
Next Topic:Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca