This day on August 14
Acquired: Kevin Brown (1998)
Departed: Michel Picard (2000)

Happy Birthday To: Trueblue26, Belleu

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger...Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695489 is a reply to message #695488 ]
Tue, 13 June 2017 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 13 June 2017 21:21

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 13 June 2017 20:21

Seeing some talk of a Nuge for Galchenyuk trade (likely with Montreal adding sweetener).

I would actually consider that. I think Galchenyuk has a good scoring touch. I like how he plays too, kid plays with swagger, some feistiness, and likes to make plays. Good speed as well. He would be a winger for us probably, maybe he can slot in C if absolutely necessary, but I think he would be dangerous playing wing with McDavid or Drai.

Moving Nuge means we need a good defensive C though for the 3rd line, and gotta be sure Drai is ready for life as a #2C.

What sources?

Please not Eklund. Is Ek still even around? There was e5 report that his website was complete fabrication.

Sources? For a rumor? In a speculation forum?

If it takes the discussion away for a moment to something other than the cycle of stupid suggestions I welcome it

As far as this goes I doubt there is much truth to it. I admittedly know little about Gally having only seen him play ten or so times. I dont like to judge a player only on beat writer and second hand twitter types info but it doesnt seem he is what we need.
We finally have some depth down the middle. The only way I trade RNH right now is if it gets us a scoring RW (proven, not might be) or a solid penalty killing, tougher two way center

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695492 is a reply to message #695489 ]
Tue, 13 June 2017 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 13 June 2017 21:37

Seeing some talk of a Nuge for Galchenyuk trade (likely with Montreal adding sweetener).

I would actually consider that. I think Galchenyuk has a good scoring touch. I like how he plays too, kid plays with swagger, some feistiness, and likes to make plays. Good speed as well. He would be a winger for us probably, maybe he can slot in C if absolutely necessary, but I think he would be dangerous playing wing with McDavid or Drai.

Moving Nuge means we need a good defensive C though for the 3rd line, and gotta be sure Drai is ready for life as a #2C.

What sources?

Please not Eklund. Is Ek still even around? There was e5 report that his website was complete fabrication.

If it takes the discussion away for a moment to something other than the cycle of stupid suggestions I welcome it

As far as this goes I doubt there is much truth to it. I admittedly know little about Gally having only seen him play ten or so times. I dont like to judge a player only on beat writer and second hand twitter types info but it doesnt seem he is what we need.
We finally have some depth down the middle. The only way I trade RNH right now is if it gets us a scoring RW (proven, not might be) or a solid penalty killing, tougher two way center

I'm not sure if you want to move Nuge for that PKing 2-way C that would slot in the 3rd line. Think you need to move him for an elite winger to give McDavid/Drai more to work with or in a package for a top 4D. Then find that #3C with lesser assets or free agency.

I've mentioned here a few times how I wish we would try Nuge at RW and hope he could find some scoring touch on McDavid or Drai's wing. I think Galchenyuk actually could do that very easily. Kid has a lot of skill and a good shot. He's just been a bit lost like most were under Therrien, and was still 2nd on their team in points over the last 2 years behind Patches.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695496 is a reply to message #695492 ]
Tue, 13 June 2017 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 13 June 2017 22:18

I'm not sure if you want to move Nuge for that PKing 2-way C that would slot in the 3rd line. Think you need to move him for an elite winger to give McDavid/Drai more to work with or in a package for a top 4D. Then find that #3C with lesser assets or free agency.

Ya I think we are basically on the same page here. When I mentioned the 3C it was with the assumption it would come with a lesser cap as well.
I am still of the opinion of not trading any of our currently contributing roster players unless we have a succession plan in place or the trade is an obvious win for the team right now.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695498 is a reply to message #695489 ]
Tue, 13 June 2017 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

What sources?

It does say speculation not fabrication. My bad.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695500 is a reply to message #695498 ]
Tue, 13 June 2017 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 13 June 2017 23:12

Let me give you a hand, it's like the Oilfans word of the day calender;

speculation

noun
the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
"there has been widespread speculation that he plans to quit"

[Updated on: Tue, 13 June 2017 23:24]

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695512 is a reply to message #695498 ]
Wed, 14 June 2017 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

What sources?

At this point, there's so little traffic here right now and so little new content, I don't care if people post their fantasy trades or ones they managed to complete on NHL2016. At least it would give us more to read and discuss.

I'm sure I'd be front and center saying why it's a terrible suggestion, but it's still more interesting than hours and hours without a post on here.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695513 is a reply to message #695512 ]
Wed, 14 June 2017 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 14 June 2017 09:37

At this point, there's so little traffic here right now and so little new content, I don't care if people post their fantasy trades or ones they managed to complete on NHL2016. At least it would give us more to read and discuss.

I'm sure I'd be front and center saying why it's a terrible suggestion, but it's still more interesting than hours and hours without a post on here.

Seriously, we're so close to things starting to happen, but it feels so far. I suspect that teams that have expansion issues are trying to make a deal with Vegas to get them to take a lesser player, and that we may start to see movement later in the week if they think they can't get a deal done there and look to move the player somewhere else.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695515 is a reply to message #695513 ]
Wed, 14 June 2017 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 14 June 2017 10:49

Adam wrote on Wed, 14 June 2017 09:37

Seriously, we're so close to things starting to happen, but it feels so far. I suspect that teams that have expansion issues are trying to make a deal with Vegas to get them to take a lesser player, and that we may start to see movement later in the week if they think they can't get a deal done there and look to move the player somewhere else.

Apparently teams are under a gag order regarding any trades with Vegas? I don't understand that at all. Are they really going to try to turn the expansion draft in to must-watch television? I can't see me spending time in front of a TV to figure out what fourth liner or utility defenceman teams are going to lose, even if they sprinkle in a few protection trades.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695610 is a reply to message #695512 ]
Thu, 15 June 2017 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 14 June 2017 10:37

What sources?

I enjoy this site for its quality. When the "credible" resourced rumours appear it generates great discussion. The fantasy trades brings us to the mess of Calgary Puck of HFboards. Maybe it's just me, but I love the content of Oilfans because it usually maintains a high standard of posting.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695620 is a reply to message #695610 ]
Thu, 15 June 2017 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Bobby Mac (via Staples) weighs in...

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ what-it-means-when-tsns-bob-mckenzie-says-jordan-eberle-is-l ikely-to-be-traded-by-saturday

This in from TSN’s Bob McKenzie on Toronto 1050, his speculation that Jordan Eberle will be traded by Saturday: “By no means is it 100 guaranteed that Eberle will be traded period. It’s not 100 percent guaranteed that he’ll be traded by Saturday. But I’d be the least surprised guy in the world if he was.

“I would say it’s more likely than not that the trade happens before the freeze on Saturday for obvious reasons, you know, protection issues, whatever the case may be.

“You get all sorts of people who will say that Jordan Eberle is being made a scapegoat for a bad playoff and that he’s been a pretty good player for them over the years, and I think he has. But I also think that the Oil recognize that at some point in time – even if it’s not now, it’s probably a year from now – they desperately need, you know, they can’t afford to pay Jordan Eberle $6 million, is what it boils down to. And that’s what they’re paying him.”

“Now, they can afford it right now. So if they wanted to wait a year they could. But I think they recognize that there is, even in spite of a bad playoff, there’s significant interest in Jordan Eberle. And I think they want to turn the page and I think they want to bring in a different asset and they want to use those dollars elsewhere.”

“My understanding of the situation is they’ve got plenty of offers on the table right now and enough that they look at it and say, ‘Realistically, yeah we could do some of these or we’re very close that something could be done here, so why wait?'”

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695621 is a reply to message #695620 ]
Thu, 15 June 2017 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 15 June 2017 22:04

Bobby Mac (via Staples) weighs in...

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ what-it-means-when-tsns-bob-mckenzie-says-jordan-eberle-is-l ikely-to-be-traded-by-saturday

This in from TSN’s Bob McKenzie on Toronto 1050, his speculation that Jordan Eberle will be traded by Saturday: “By no means is it 100 guaranteed that Eberle will be traded period. It’s not 100 percent guaranteed that he’ll be traded by Saturday. But I’d be the least surprised guy in the world if he was.

“I would say it’s more likely than not that the trade happens before the freeze on Saturday for obvious reasons, you know, protection issues, whatever the case may be.

“You get all sorts of people who will say that Jordan Eberle is being made a scapegoat for a bad playoff and that he’s been a pretty good player for them over the years, and I think he has. But I also think that the Oil recognize that at some point in time – even if it’s not now, it’s probably a year from now – they desperately need, you know, they can’t afford to pay Jordan Eberle $6 million, is what it boils down to. And that’s what they’re paying him.”

“Now, they can afford it right now. So if they wanted to wait a year they could. But I think they recognize that there is, even in spite of a bad playoff, there’s significant interest in Jordan Eberle. And I think they want to turn the page and I think they want to bring in a different asset and they want to use those dollars elsewhere.”

“My understanding of the situation is they’ve got plenty of offers on the table right now and enough that they look at it and say, ‘Realistically, yeah we could do some of these or we’re very close that something could be done here, so why wait?'”

I have said many times I dont agree with trading him now but have mostly accepted it will happen.
If the above does take place I have to assume the trade is for another forward. I just cant see them going the 4F/4D route unless they are able to get a cheap #2/3 d-man to make it worth exposing a better forward like Maroon.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695625 is a reply to message #695621 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

Eberle + ??? for Duchene + Barrie would be pretty nice, depending on the ???

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695626 is a reply to message #695625 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 07:37

I would bet Sakic values D like Nurse. Might need to add a bit more still. Caleb Jones maybe? Does Caleb have the Colorado roots like Seth? That kinda stuff resonated with OBC style management :)

I like Nurse, but I very much doubt we can get Barrie without giving up at D that is in the NHL with good potential.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 June 2017 07:52]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695630 is a reply to message #695626 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
messier11  is currently offline messier11

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 08:49

I would bet Sakic values D like Nurse. Might need to add a bit more still. Caleb Jones maybe? Does Caleb have the Colorado roots like Seth? That kinda stuff resonated with OBC style management :)

I like Nurse, but I very much doubt we can get Barrie without giving up at D that is in the NHL with good potential.

NO! to Nurse for Barrie...I know there is more to your trade speculation than just that but I like Nurse and am hoping he turns into as close a copy of Pronger as we'll ever get. (maybe less offense but I want the nasty)

Barrie is an offensive defenseman and I'm not sure that is what we need.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695664 is a reply to message #695630 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

messier11 wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 09:14

NO! to Nurse for Barrie...I know there is more to your trade speculation than just that but I like Nurse and am hoping he turns into as close a copy of Pronger as we'll ever get. (maybe less offense but I want the nasty)

Time to readjust your expectations. Pronger was an all-world player and was scoring from the time he stepped in to the league at 18. He had his growing pains too, but he brought a dynamic from day one that none of our defencemen have. It's why he was #2 overall (no one remembers who's drafted #1 anyhow icon_biggrin ).

If you want to compare Nurse to an Oiler from days past, think Jason Smith. Nurse might have a touch more offence, but that makes him peak as a 25 point guy only. Valuable player, great to have on the team, and his mean streak is a real asset - but he's not untradeable and if it got you a 20-something right shot 50 point defenceman straight-up? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695665 is a reply to message #695664 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 22:47

Time to readjust your expectations. Pronger was an all-world player and was scoring from the time he stepped in to the league at 18. He had his growing pains too, but he brought a dynamic from day one that none of our defencemen have. It's why he was #2 overall (no one remembers who's drafted #1 anyhow icon_biggrin ).

If you want to compare Nurse to an Oiler from days past, think Jason Smith. Nurse might have a touch more offence, but that makes him peak as a 25 point guy only. Valuable player, great to have on the team, and his mean streak is a real asset - but he's not untradeable and if it got you a 20-something right shot 50 point defenceman straight-up? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Don't think they're that similar to be honest, Nurse is a much better skater and Gator was way more nasty. Not a great comparable IMO.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695667 is a reply to message #695665 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 22:53

Don't think they're that similar to be honest, Nurse is a much better skater and Gator was way more nasty. Not a great comparable IMO.

I agree that they're not mirror images. Similar production levels in junior, similar size. Nurse is the better skater, but I still don't see that translating in to a lot of offence because he's not a great passer.

Smith topped out at 20 points. I think Nurse could hit 25. And they'll have similar roles.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695668 is a reply to message #695665 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 22:53

IMO Larsson is our Gator. Tough smart hockey, good enough puck mover to get out of a bind, but not exceptional offensively. A great player to have, ideally with a good offensive guy (yay Klef!).

Nurse is still very raw. There is a big leap he needs to make in his decision making to be a top 4 D. I think he does have some offensive upside though, and could be better at it than Smith or Larsson. That next step is hard though, and lots of young D in Nurse's current state never really figure it out. It has definitely been slow going so far. Could very well be a guy that doesn't figure it out until his mid-late 20's.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695683 is a reply to message #695668 ]
Sat, 17 June 2017 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

No trade. Now it's Vegas or bust for Eberle! (until freeze over)

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695881 is a reply to message #695683 ]
Wed, 21 June 2017 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

New whipping horse and next guy ran out of town - Strome. Also think Foo to wings. All we need is Russell signing elsewhere or by oil for four years and off season will be complete.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695901 is a reply to message #695881 ]
Wed, 21 June 2017 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Mullet wrote on Wed, 21 June 2017 19:29

New whipping horse and next guy ran out of town - Strome. Also think Foo to wings. All we need is Russell signing elsewhere or by oil for four years and off season will be complete.

Also: Shane Doan signing in Edmonton.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695914 is a reply to message #695901 ]
Wed, 21 June 2017 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 21 June 2017 21:35

Mullet wrote on Wed, 21 June 2017 19:29

Also: Shane Doan signing in Edmonton.

Wish we had a like feature. This is pretty funny. Forgot the bookend iginla. I think we will be ok but we will just scrape in next year to the playoffs not challenging for title. Think ANAis still better and we didn't do anything to close the gap.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695929 is a reply to message #695914 ]
Thu, 22 June 2017 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boulangj  is currently offline boulangj

No Cups

"think we will be ok but we will just scrape in next year to the playoffs not challenging for title. Think ANA is still better and we didn't do anything to close the gap"

we didn't do anything between the end of the season and the expansion draft

Fire Chia!!

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #696729 is a reply to message #695929 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

boulangj wrote on Thu, 22 June 2017 06:36

"think we will be ok but we will just scrape in next year to the playoffs not challenging for title. Think ANA is still better and we didn't do anything to close the gap"

we didn't do anything between the end of the season and the expansion draft

Fire Chia!!

Is it time yet?

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #696732 is a reply to message #696729 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Well Rishaug tweeted this out, so that likely means the Oilers are pretty much done:

Quote:

@TSNRyanRishaug: Should be noted, while Oil may return largely same lineup, they also have cap space, and picks. That means flexibility to add at deadline.

As a side note, how often does the "load up at the deadline" strategy actually work? 1/20? 1/50?

[Updated on: Tue, 27 June 2017 22:21]

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #696734 is a reply to message #696732 ]
Tue, 27 June 2017 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Neeed to improve draws, get a sniper on top line and get a point shot. Swing and a miss on all three. Back up goal tending is a huge risk if talbot goes down and our OT odds drop significantly without Sekera - that unit he was on was money.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695491 is a reply to message #695488 ]
Tue, 13 June 2017 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

What sources?

Saw Dustin Neilson from TSN commenting on it on twitter saying there is buzz in MTL around such a trade. Some other bloggers claiming it has some legs. Probably just all speculation, but it is an interesting case. Galchenyuk's value has been driven down a bit with some poor coaching/handling by that clown Therrien coaching him so long and their poor C depth. Bergevin does some wild stuff, and Montreal is still desperate for C's.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695536 is a reply to message #695491 ]
Wed, 14 June 2017 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 13 June 2017 22:11

What sources?

Saw Dustin Neilson from TSN commenting on it on twitter saying there is buzz in MTL around such a trade. Some other bloggers claiming it has some legs. Probably just all speculation, but it is an interesting case. Galchenyuk's value has been driven down a bit with some poor coaching/handling by that clown Therrien coaching him so long and their poor C depth. Bergevin does some wild stuff, and Montreal is still desperate for C's.

I saw that too from Nielsen. If you look at Galchenyuk, 61 games, 17 goals, 44 pts. In his career, 336 games, 89 goals, 204 pts. 0.607 pts/game.
Nuge: 82 games, 18 goals, 43 pts. 395 games. 95 goals, 265 pts, 0.67 pts/game.

So their numbers aren't far off. Having him with the ability to play center or the wing so he could easily slide into a top 6 spot. I would have to think he signs for a lot less than 6 mill Nuge makes. If you trade Nuge, I think you would have to get a 3rd line center as I see

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695506 is a reply to message #695487 ]
Wed, 14 June 2017 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I like Galchenyuk but the issue is Montreal, as I understand it, is that he sees himself as a centre not a wing. We need a winger so I am not sure the fit. The idea of moving nuge and getting a 3rd line centre at 3rd line prices makes sense to me. The other option would be to try nuge at wing.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695507 is a reply to message #695506 ]
Wed, 14 June 2017 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

I would consider something in the range of Galchenyuk & Habs 1st rd pick, but we don't need to rush anything with a Nuge trade. Unless someone comes in with a heck of a deal (Carolina says we will give you Faulk for Nuge straight up) you thank them for the offer and let them know we are in no panic to trade him. Let another GM overpay us for something we have a little excess of for a change.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695508 is a reply to message #695506 ]
Wed, 14 June 2017 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Mullet wrote on Wed, 14 June 2017 10:48

The other option would be to try nuge at wing.
Been saying that all year and playoffs. He at one point had elite skill. There's no doubt he has defensive awareness - maybe taking some responsibilities off his plate allows him to get his offensive mojo back. He has a really good shot when he wants to use it - especially the quick release. Try him 10 games or so on his off wing to one-time some McDavid feeds and see how that goes.

And if McDavid or Drai go down, we still have a solid option to replace them. Having 3 top 2 Cs is really not a bad thing.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695525 is a reply to message #695508 ]
Wed, 14 June 2017 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 14 June 2017 09:03

Mullet wrote on Wed, 14 June 2017 10:48

The other option would be to try nuge at wing.
Been saying that all year and playoffs. He at one point had elite skill. There's no doubt he has defensive awareness - maybe taking some responsibilities off his plate allows him to get his offensive mojo back. He has a really good shot when he wants to use it - especially the quick release. Try him 10 games or so on his off wing to one-time some McDavid feeds and see how that goes.

And if McDavid or Drai go down, we still have a solid option to replace them. Having 3 top 2 Cs is really not a bad thing.

I think Nuge on McDavid's RW is the best foot forward. Hockey is not about individual skill, it is about the interactive effects between players; you need to find combinations of players whose talents interact with each other such that the play of both players is elevated. So, with that in mind, what skills might elevate McDavid, and what skills might elevate Nuge?

Well, McDavid's two greatest assets are his speed and his passing, so he would need a player that can help him utilize those skills more often. We all know d-men have to back off and respect his speed, but often times they are able to hold the offensive zone blueline because McDavid is deep in the zone as per his defensive responsibilities. Further, we know Nuge is strong defensively, so if he were to take over some or all of McDavid's defensive responsibilities, that would free up McDavid to float higher in the defensive zone (sometimes even fleeing it early for a stretch pass), which would force the opposition defense to be less aggressive in trying to hold the blueline, which will make it easier for us to breakout. Moreover, Nuge has (i) good speed, (ii) a surprisingly good shot, and (iii) a sneaky, shifty game; thus, McDavid can compliment Nuge by (i) feeding him pucks, thus allowing Nuge to use his shot (especially if he plays on his off wing), and (ii) drawing focus to himself, thus allowing Nuge to hide in the weeds and be sneaky, as opposed to being the #1 guy on the line that gets all the attention (like he does when he centers his own line).

By my eye, I think Nuge as the #1 RW is something worth exploring for 20 games. This drops Ebs to the #2 RW spot with Drai and Lucic/Maroon. We would need a #3 C (Caggiula?) but they are easier to find, and are cheaper, than a top 6 RW.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695588 is a reply to message #695525 ]
Thu, 15 June 2017 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

John Shannon just tweeted that 6 teams have expressed interest in Eberle. Can we all say "bidding war"!! I am sticking to my guns that the Oilers will get more value for Eberle this offseason than if they wait. We shall see.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695608 is a reply to message #695588 ]
Thu, 15 June 2017 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 15 June 2017 10:56

John Shannon just tweeted that 6 teams have expressed interest in Eberle. Can we all say "bidding war"!! I am sticking to my guns that the Oilers will get more value for Eberle this offseason than if they wait. We shall see.

Dreger saying front runners are Islanders and Avs. Hmmm, could Barrie for Ebs+ actually happen?

I'm so excited for the Oilers to get any D not named Russell right now icon_lol

[Updated on: Thu, 15 June 2017 17:23]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695627 is a reply to message #695608 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

A person I know who is a GM in the WHL who has numerous NHL connections from previous roles also says there are some legit offers for Eberle. He heard 3-4 were pretty decent. He said that NJ is offering Kovalchuk & a 3rd rd pick. Kovy supposedly wants 2 years at $5 mill a year which I would guess make Chiarelli not want that contract as he is trying to dump some salary in trading away Ebs. The Avs are offering up Barrie straight up (Avs must have another dman in their trading sites to do this). He says Oilers want Avs to retain some salary & Avs won't budge. The Isles are offering Hamonic straight up for Ebs. Oilers want a 2nd rd pick included to motivate Vegas to take Pouliot & have offered one of their 3rd rd picks to the deal to see if it entices the Isles as they are in somewhat panic mode because of losing a top 4 Dman to Vegas. The other one was interesting. Florida is looking to jump in and has supposedly offered up Nick Bjugstad and Petrovic for Ebs. I really like that deal, but we would lose some high quality in the expansion draft unless we can make a trade with Vegas to direct their selection from us, plus the cap hit of Bjugstad is pretty high unless he gets 50+ points. He also said the Habs were in talks before they traded for Drouin, but have backed out now. The Canes were also in discussions, but not as strong as offers.
That is what he heard and he says the guy he talks to is very much in the "know" about this stuff. If any of this is remotely true, which I suspect some may be close, I would focus on the Isles potential offer. If they can get a legit top 4 RH shutdown dman in Hamonic & a pick to entice Pouliot to Vegas that is fantastic for our salary cap & solidifies our d-core on the very cheap for many years.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695629 is a reply to message #695627 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Jakey wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 08:28

A person I know who is a GM in the WHL who has numerous NHL connections from previous roles also says there are some legit offers for Eberle. He heard 3-4 were pretty decent. He said that NJ is offering Kovalchuk & a 3rd rd pick. Kovy supposedly wants 2 years at $5 mill a year which I would guess make Chiarelli not want that contract as he is trying to dump some salary in trading away Ebs. The Avs are offering up Barrie straight up (Avs must have another dman in their trading sites to do this). He says Oilers want Avs to retain some salary & Avs won't budge. The Isles are offering Hamonic straight up for Ebs. Oilers want a 2nd rd pick included to motivate Vegas to take Pouliot & have offered one of their 3rd rd picks to the deal to see if it entices the Isles as they are in somewhat panic mode because of losing a top 4 Dman to Vegas. The other one was interesting. Florida is looking to jump in and has supposedly offered up Nick Bjugstad and Petrovic for Ebs. I really like that deal, but we would lose some high quality in the expansion draft unless we can make a trade with Vegas to direct their selection from us, plus the cap hit of Bjugstad is pretty high unless he gets 50+ points. He also said the Habs were in talks before they traded for Drouin, but have backed out now. The Canes were also in discussions, but not as strong as offers.
That is what he heard and he says the guy he talks to is very much in the "know" about this stuff. If any of this is remotely true, which I suspect some may be close, I would focus on the Isles potential offer. If they can get a legit top 4 RH shutdown dman in Hamonic & a pick to entice Pouliot to Vegas that is fantastic for our salary cap & solidifies our d-core on the very cheap for many years.

Interesting notes notes/rumors
I would never give that up for a 35 year old Kovy that wants 5 mill.
I have made my stance known on Hamonic. I may be wrong as I havent watched him enough but I dont think we need him at this point
Same goes for Barrie although I do like the upside he brings to the offence
The Bjugstad and Petrovic one I havent heard before and I cant say I know enough about them to really have a strong opinon. Looking up the contracts it would save us a couple mill in cap and they are both young.

I am really starting to worry that this happens before the expansion draft. If they dont have a plan in place with LV then it could be a real pain.
I am REALLY hoping there is already a deal made to have them take Pouliot regardless of any deal we do or dont make before then.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695633 is a reply to message #695629 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 08:55

Jakey wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 08:28

Interesting notes notes/rumors
I would never give that up for a 35 year old Kovy that wants 5 mill.
I have made my stance known on Hamonic. I may be wrong as I havent watched him enough but I dont think we need him at this point
Same goes for Barrie although I do like the upside he brings to the offence
The Bjugstad and Petrovic one I havent heard before and I cant say I know enough about them to really have a strong opinon. Looking up the contracts it would save us a couple mill in cap and they are both young.

I am really starting to worry that this happens before the expansion draft. If they dont have a plan in place with LV then it could be a real pain.
I am REALLY hoping there is already a deal made to have them take Pouliot regardless of any deal we do or dont make before then.

I don't like the Devils trade at all. Kovalchuk is an interesting player because he could check a lot of boxes but a complete gamble. If he doesn't work out, you just got nothing for Eberle. Plus I think any team signing him for longer than a yr is crazy given he's 34 and you have no idea if he is still NHL caliber anymore. There is a BIG drop off between the NHL and the KHL.

I have interest in the Hamonic trade because he is a very good dman. He is dirt cheap. He would check off a ton of boxes defense wise and with a top 4 of Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera (when he is back), Hamonic, plus Nurse and Benning, that is a good defense. They would have to try to find some right wing help.

I know some people like Barrie but I am very concerned by him. #1, the Avs need defense and they need several dmen. So if you are a team that needs badly defense, why on earth are you unloading a young, right shot, point producing dman who's signed. What's wrong with him? #2, before quitting, Roy said he is a 3rd pairing 5 on 5 guy who is really good on the PP. I heard a Avs beat guy yesterday on Gregor's show and he said, Barrie is a 3rd pairing 5 on 5 guy that is really good on the PP. So my concern is, if the former coach said he is a 3rd pairing 5 on 5 guy, a media guy who covers the team agrees with that, then the team who's DESPERATE for defense, is readily willing to trade a young, right shot dman, maybe he is a 3rd pairing 5 on 5, good on the PP guy. So the last thing I want is to bring in a guy who you have to shelter 5 on 5 and pay him 5.5 mill to be a PP specialist. I see red flags and I can understand why the Oilers would want the Avs to keep salary becuase obviously to me, they think the same way.

The Bjugstabd & Petrovic one really interests me. You get a big, good skating, offensive, young, right shot center coming off a bad year but the whole Panthers teams was bad. Previously, he scored 15, 24, 16 goals as a lower line center. He's 24 soon to be 25 so he's a good age for the Oilers. He likes to shoot. If you trade Eberle, you need help on the right side. He shoots right. So you could slot him in on the right side and give McLellan that center on the wing flexibility. If needed, he could be their 3rd line center. At 4 mill, it's easier to swallow than 6mill for Nuge at he 3rd line center spot. Plus the Oilers have 1 right shot center, so they could use another one. In Petrovic you get a big, mobile, puck moving, physical, good defending 25 yr old, local, right shot dman who is coming into his own. He would easily step in and between he and Benning, you have your 2nd and 3rd pairing right side covered with decent guys for a very long time. He may be lacking a bit offensively from the right side but I think Benning has move offense to give and in my mind, the Oilers need some offense from the back end but it really doesn't matter what side the offense comes from for to me.

If the Florida trade is legit, I think that would be a really good hockey trade as it would meet the needs of a couple of positions on the Oilers. They would have to do some magic for the expansion draft but one thing at a time.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 June 2017 10:58]

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695636 is a reply to message #695633 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am wondering if the Drouin deal changed anything the last couple of days. I think they are pretty decent comparable, especially now that Drouin has signed a 5.5 AAV deal. He is younger than Eberle by a few years but at signing age seem to be on the same trajectory

If the Lightning got an apparently top end D prospect and a 2nd round pick does that affect the value of Eberle? Or the perceived value to Chia?

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695643 is a reply to message #695636 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 11:14

I am wondering if the Drouin deal changed anything the last couple of days. I think they are pretty decent comparable, especially now that Drouin has signed a 5.5 AAV deal. He is younger than Eberle by a few years but at signing age seem to be on the same trajectory

If the Lightning got an apparently top end D prospect and a 2nd round pick does that affect the value of Eberle? Or the perceived value to Chia?

Didn't you hear? Drioun is the best French Canadian player since Patrick Roy and its most dynamic since Guy Lafleur! I wish Bergevin was the one that said that, but it was just the owner of his former QMJHL team :)

I think Drouin still has the big potential label, and probably rightfully so. Ebs is more of a "hope to god he can get back on track" type of guy now.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695645 is a reply to message #695643 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 12:20

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 11:14

Didn't you hear? Drioun is the best French Canadian player since Patrick Roy and its most dynamic since Guy Lafleur! I wish Bergevin was the one that said that, but it was just the owner of his former QMJHL team :)

I think Drouin still has the big potential label, and probably rightfully so. Ebs is more of a "hope to god he can get back on track" type of guy now.

Agree on the potential thing. Most have seen be defend Eberle so this comparison isnt a knock on him but watching Drouin, I think he is more electrifying and entertaining at times than Eberle, but I can see them contributing similarly, for good and bad.

Re: Offers on table for Eberle, as per Dreger... [message #695666 is a reply to message #695633 ]
Fri, 16 June 2017 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 16 June 2017 10:53

I know some people like Barrie but I am very concerned by him. #1, the Avs need defense and they need several dmen. So if you are a team that needs badly defense, why on earth are you unloading a young, right shot, point producing dman who's signed. What's wrong with him? #2, before quitting, Roy said he is a 3rd pairing 5 on 5 guy who is really good on the PP. I heard a Avs beat guy yesterday on Gregor's show and he said, Barrie is a 3rd pairing 5 on 5 guy that is really good on the PP. So my concern is, if the former coach said he is a 3rd pairing 5 on 5 guy, a media guy who covers the team agrees with that, then the team who's DESPERATE for defense, is readily willing to trade a young, right shot dman, maybe he is a 3rd pairing 5 on 5, good on the PP guy. So the last thing I want is to bring in a guy who you have to shelter 5 on 5 and pay him 5.5 mill to be a PP specialist. I see red flags and I can understand why the Oilers would want the Avs to keep salary becuase obviously to me, they think the same way.

A) Why would the Avs trade him? Because they hired a bunch of former players with no experience running a coffee machine to run their team. Sakic is in over his head and has no clue how to get out. He's going to try the big move at some point, hoping that magically improves his team before he gets fired. It's unlikely to be the right move. We've seen this movie before, so we should know how it ends.

B) The Avalanche are down on Barrie, but that's when you make good deals. I mentioned Jason Smith in the previous post. The Maple Leafs had come to a similar conclusion about Smith. They took a couple draft picks for him, and the Oilers had a rock on their blueline for years because of it. We have seen the same thing in reverse too. Justin Schultz was traded when his value was low because team and fans were frustrated with him. Turned out, he's alright when in a better situation. It may very well be the same with Barrie.

C) Yes, the Oilers could use a third pairing guy who is a great powerplay producer. Even if he's your least played defenceman at evens, he can be very valuable if he can help make the PP work. He's one season removed from a 21 powerplay point producing season on a terrible team. He shoots right, so he'd be a nice piece on the PP.

As long as you can trust him to play weaker opposiition, you can make a PP specialist work. I'm not sure that narrative is true anyhow. On that crummy team, he scored 28 even strength points last year. That's pretty good.

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:How to get a RHD?
Next Topic:Gryba and Pitlick
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca