F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Hall takes the bait again...Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Hall takes the bait again... [message #689423]
Thu, 23 March 2017 22:11 Go to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/it-s-a-weird-dynamic-hall-won-t- be-cheering-for-oilers-in-playoffs~1084326

Gives a long answer about how he is jealous and won't be cheering for the Oilers.

Just can't help himself.

So many better ways to handle the question.

"Just happy for the fans"
"Just happy for my friends on the team"
"Not sure who I'm cheering for this year"
"Still focused on finishing my year here on a high note"

So many choices

[Updated on: Thu, 23 March 2017 22:13]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689424 is a reply to message #689423 ]
Thu, 23 March 2017 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Frankly, I'm glad to see someone sad/upset that they left Edmonton. It's refreshing.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689425 is a reply to message #689424 ]
Thu, 23 March 2017 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 23 March 2017 22:16

Frankly, I'm glad to see someone sad/upset that they left Edmonton. It's refreshing.

Still think the anger is driven more by spite and the feeling that he was slighted and not seen as being as valuable as he thinks he is, more than just how he left Edmonton. ANd now he feels like he was robbed of being in the playoffs.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689426 is a reply to message #689425 ]
Thu, 23 March 2017 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 23 March 2017 22:19

Still think the anger is driven more by spite and the feeling that he was slighted and not seen as being as valuable as he thinks he is, more than just how he left Edmonton. ANd now he feels like he was robbed of being in the playoffs.

He's upset that his ex is doing better after the breakup than he is.

Don't be like him...just be happy for where the Oilers are, and wish him all the best in the future.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689427 is a reply to message #689426 ]
Thu, 23 March 2017 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 23 March 2017 22:21

Don't be like him...just be happy for where the Oilers are, and wish him all the best in the future.

I do hope he gets on a good team as a UFA.

Just can't help but be stunned by his constant shows of lacking professionalism and tact when he speaks :)

Just trying to make us all feel better about the trade too, because you can keep seeing why he was never able to be seen by the whole team and management as a good leader in the room.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689428 is a reply to message #689427 ]
Thu, 23 March 2017 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 23 March 2017 22:25

Just can't help but be stunned by his constant shows of lacking professionalism and tact when he speaks :)

Just trying to make us all feel better about the trade too, because you can keep seeing why he was never able to be seen by the whole team and management as a good leader in the room.

But even that requires a bit of mental gymnastics, because you're portraying his bitterness as entirely related to selfish reasons, but it's conceivable that he did love playing in Edmonton and being an Oiler, and really wanted to be part of the solution here.

I would guess that playing with McDavid last year, anyone who was around the Oilers for years must have felt a little rebirth of hope, after all...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689429 is a reply to message #689428 ]
Thu, 23 March 2017 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 23 March 2017 22:40

But even that requires a bit of mental gymnastics, because you're portraying his bitterness as entirely related to selfish reasons, but it's conceivable that he did love playing in Edmonton and being an Oiler, and really wanted to be part of the solution here.

I would guess that playing with McDavid last year, anyone who was around the Oilers for years must have felt a little rebirth of hope, after all...

I think everything he says can be interpreted from the selfishness angle :) Even wanting to stay in Edmonton can be seen as him longing for what he grew accustomed and comfortable with, and his selfishness makes him angry that he had to change how he was living.

Selfishness, Selfishness everywhere I look I see selfishness icon_biggrin

In any case, he still sucks at looking like a pro in interviews. That last part of his interview is basically saying he wants out of NJ, because they are very likely going to keep sucking for the rest of his current contract.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689430 is a reply to message #689429 ]
Thu, 23 March 2017 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 23 March 2017 22:46

I think everything he says can be interpreted from the selfishness angle :) Even wanting to stay in Edmonton can be seen as him longing for what he grew accustomed and comfortable with, and his selfishness makes him angry that he had to change how he was living.

In any case, he still sucks at looking like a pro in interviews. That last part of his interview is basically saying he wants out of NJ, because they are very likely going to keep sucking for the rest of his current contract.

On Twitter I'm seeing lost of criticism for him complaining about missing the playoffs. I don't get it. I think hating missing the playoffs is a pretty good trait actually, and after the uproar about RNH's comments a few weeks ago, it's weird to see people criticizing a player who says he wants to be there.

Whatever. Media should probably stop asking him about this too. I didn't like the trade, I like Larsson. I wish Hall well, and am glad the Oilers are doing as well as they are. That's really my position; I'm happy and not about to throw shade at Hall or spin some narrative on his way out of town.

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689431 is a reply to message #689430 ]
Thu, 23 March 2017 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 23 March 2017 22:51

On Twitter I'm seeing lost of criticism for him complaining about missing the playoffs. I don't get it. I think hating missing the playoffs is a pretty good trait actually, and after the uproar about RNH's comments a few weeks ago, it's weird to see people criticizing a player who says he wants to be there.

Whatever. Media should probably stop asking him about this too. I didn't like the trade, I like Larsson. I wish Hall well, and am glad the Oilers are doing as well as they are. That's really my position; I'm happy and not about to throw shade at Hall or spin some narrative on his way out of town.

I have a feeling that Hall will be talking about how pissed he was about being traded and how jealous he is about the Oilers being in the playoffs and so on and so on for years to come :)

Media will keep asking him as long as he gives lovely answers like this. Ask Hall about the Oilers = instant stories on tsn.ca with a juicy quote every time.

And it's not that bad of a time IMO to get more insight about why a guy became seen as expendable by management, and never able to establish himself as a positive force in terms of leadership in the dressing room.

[Updated on: Thu, 23 March 2017 23:04]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689433 is a reply to message #689431 ]
Thu, 23 March 2017 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 23 March 2017 22:55

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 23 March 2017 22:51

I have a feeling that Hall will be talking about how pissed he was about being traded and how jealous he is about the Oilers being in the playoffs and so on and so on for years to come :)

Media will keep asking him as long as he gives lovely answers like this. Ask Hall about the Oilers = instant stories on tsn.ca with a juicy quote every time.

And it's not that bad of a time IMO to get more insight about why a guy became seen as expendable by management, and never able to establish himself as a positive force in terms of leadership in the dressing room.

I think you're right about the media liking to get answers they can spin a story around, and so they'll keep asking him the questions.

As for the rest? I'm sick of the character assassination on everyone who leaves town. I think it starts typically with management throwing insinuations, gets echoed by the media and then fans start seeing all kinds of reasons to believe it and the stories grow and grow.

I have heard lots of stories that lead me to believe that Taylor Hall is FAR from a perfect person. But A) he's still a young guy, and B) young guys are stupid as a general rule and C) he's still a very good hockey player, which unless he's a really bad guy (think Alleged Patrick Kane), then I think a good team and a good coach should be able to deal with character flaws.

And when he's gone, I don't think trashing him on things that really are only speculative is helpful.

I'd like for players who leave to miss Edmonton and wish they were still here...not have them grow to hate the place because the fanbase (along with the management and their complicit media) indulges in character assassination based on a few random quotes.

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689441 is a reply to message #689433 ]
Fri, 24 March 2017 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 23 March 2017 23:38

I think you're right about the media liking to get answers they can spin a story around, and so they'll keep asking him the questions.

As for the rest? I'm sick of the character assassination on everyone who leaves town. I think it starts typically with management throwing insinuations, gets echoed by the media and then fans start seeing all kinds of reasons to believe it and the stories grow and grow.

I have heard lots of stories that lead me to believe that Taylor Hall is FAR from a perfect person. But A) he's still a young guy, and B) young guys are stupid as a general rule and C) he's still a very good hockey player, which unless he's a really bad guy (think Alleged Patrick Kane), then I think a good team and a good coach should be able to deal with character flaws.

And when he's gone, I don't think trashing him on things that really are only speculative is helpful.

I'd like for players who leave to miss Edmonton and wish they were still here...not have them grow to hate the place because the fanbase (along with the management and their complicit media) indulges in character assassination based on a few random quotes.

I really don't know if there is that much spin or cherry picking quotes here. Hall has been super candid the whole time and his answers seem to be getting more sour as time goes on. At the least he is giving us a pretty good show of his personality, and IMO it's fair for fans to use that to understand what kind of leader he may have been off the ice after we had to sit through half a decade of seeing a fractured dressing room and constant failure with the Oilers. We've done this all the time dissecting every word our management says. I know there are many many reasons for the suck, and the suck can cause the dressing room to suck, but even with a good lineup, you just can't have a fractured dressing room.

I think Chia and McLellan wanted to take the fast track to making a unified group and they very well could have flagged Hall as someone that was going to make that difficult. Right or wrong, the reasoning becomes more understandable as time goes on. And that's a different personality issue to deal with than guys like Kane who are idiots while drunk away from the rink. Kane seems like a great team guy along with Toews. I don't disagree that there could have been better approaches to solve that problem, but Chia and McLellan chose the path of least resistance and they're probably feeling good about their decision today.

Also, If I'm NJ, I'm worried that this guy is gonna want to bail now if things aren't going well next season.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 March 2017 08:01]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689590 is a reply to message #689441 ]
Mon, 27 March 2017 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 24 March 2017 07:22

Adam wrote on Thu, 23 March 2017 23:38

I really don't know if there is that much spin or cherry picking quotes here. Hall has been super candid the whole time and his answers seem to be getting more sour as time goes on. At the least he is giving us a pretty good show of his personality, and IMO it's fair for fans to use that to understand what kind of leader he may have been off the ice after we had to sit through half a decade of seeing a fractured dressing room and constant failure with the Oilers. We've done this all the time dissecting every word our management says. I know there are many many reasons for the suck, and the suck can cause the dressing room to suck, but even with a good lineup, you just can't have a fractured dressing room.

I think Chia and McLellan wanted to take the fast track to making a unified group and they very well could have flagged Hall as someone that was going to make that difficult. Right or wrong, the reasoning becomes more understandable as time goes on. And that's a different personality issue to deal with than guys like Kane who are idiots while drunk away from the rink. Kane seems like a great team guy along with Toews. I don't disagree that there could have been better approaches to solve that problem, but Chia and McLellan chose the path of least resistance and they're probably feeling good about their decision today.

Also, If I'm NJ, I'm worried that this guy is gonna want to bail now if things aren't going well next season.

I agree with everything you have said in this thread. As long as Hall keeps giving out brutally honest somewhat whiny answers, the media will keep asking him because it's an instant story. All he has to do is give the boring answer as you said. "I'm happy for fans, I am happy for my friends still on the team. My focus is finishing the year strong, having a good offseason and coming back next season better and trying to push this team into the same spot the Oilers". Even if he is still bitter at the organization, coach and GM, he doesn't need to say that. If he did that, there is no story. But he chooses not too. If I am the Devils media guy, I pull Hall aside and tell him to shut up from now on. I am sure the fans and media guys appreciate the honestly but if I am the team I am getting sick of the sour grapes, poor me.

I appreciate the passion of Hall and I can sympathize to some degree how tough it would be. He wants to win and he hasn't won yet. But it's been talked about and documented a ton that Hall is an extremely emotional guy, he shows it and he was the emotional barometer of the team. When things are going good, he's great and the team is great. When things are going bad he's does not hide that at all to the point it affects other guys in the room. There has been a lot of talk this season about changing the culture of the team, change how they play but also change the mental side of the game and how the team reacts to adversity. Lucic specifically early on talked about needing to get everyone in the room to stop having that "oh no, here we go again" attitude when something doesn't go right and let that sink you. Getting over the adversity quickly and not letting it snowball like they did for years. Well in my opinion, it's looking like part of that change was getting rid of an extremely emotion player like Hall. The fact that Hall is still holding a bit of a grudge and still makes it sound like the team is blaming him for all their problems and feels like he was picked on screams like a guy that doesn't get over things fast.

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #690519 is a reply to message #689425 ]
Fri, 07 April 2017 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

I'll say again, as I said in the original trade thread, Hall obviously feels he gave what he had to the organization. I'll never question his work ethic on the ice. He brought his game most nights when 15-16 other guys weren't bringing theirs, and knowing this, he saw himself being dealt away and not seeing it through no matter how much he feels he gave.

I think if this would have happened to any of us in our careers in a public fashion, we'd be pissed too. Some of us have felt slighted in our careers by employer organizations when we feel we have gone above and beyond in our roles there. I know I have.

I don't blame Hall one bit for being pissed. He just needs to know when to stop talking about it.

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #690520 is a reply to message #690519 ]
Fri, 07 April 2017 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 07 April 2017 14:01

I'll say again, as I said in the original trade thread, Hall obviously feels he gave what he had to the organization. I'll never question his work ethic on the ice. He brought his game most nights when 15-16 other guys weren't bringing theirs, and knowing this, he saw himself being dealt away and not seeing it through no matter how much he feels he gave.

I think if this would have happened to any of us in our careers in a public fashion, we'd be pissed too. Some of us have felt slighted in our careers by employer organizations when we feel we have gone above and beyond in our roles there. I know I have.

I don't blame Hall one bit for being pissed. He just needs to know when to stop talking about it.

I agree with you. He worked hard and didn't do what Duchene is doing right now in Colorado (1 point in 21 games after he wasn't traded at the deadline). Hall has a huge amount of pride and didn't let himself quit no matter how crappy the team was. Of course he was paid handsomely to do that as well, but credit to him, some guys just take the money and throw in the towel.

I'm only basing how he has talked about the deal in public (which I think it reasonable to go by because he is such an open book and seems to lack a filter in a lot of interviews), but I get the sense that the slight is what bugs him more than the fact he left the Oilers and Edmonton. The pride he has took a shot and he has had a hard time letting it go.

Like you say, that's fine, for someone to feel that way. But as a professional, making 6M a year now from another org, you should be able to keep that stuff to yourself a bit and at least be able to push yourself to at least make it look like you've moved on and are 100% focused on where you are today.

[Updated on: Fri, 07 April 2017 14:09]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #690521 is a reply to message #690520 ]
Fri, 07 April 2017 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 07 April 2017 14:07

I agree with you. He worked hard and didn't do what Duchene is doing right now in Colorado (1 point in 21 games after he wasn't traded at the deadline). Hall has a huge amount of pride and didn't let himself quit no matter how crappy the team was. Of course he was paid handsomely to do that as well, but credit to him, some guys just take the money and throw in the towel.

I'm only basing how he has talked about the deal in public (which I think it reasonable to go by because he is such an open book and seems to lack a filter in a lot of interviews), but I get the sense that the slight is what bugs him more than the fact he left the Oilers and Edmonton. The pride he has took a shot and he has had a hard time letting it go.

Like you say, that's fine, for someone to feel that way. But as a professional, making 6M a year now from another org, you should be able to keep that stuff to yourself a bit and at least be able to push yourself to at least make it look like you've moved on and are 100% focused on where you are today.

Remember, he's still pretty young and this is something he has never faced before in his career. There hasn't been a lot of professional rejection. He's made every team he's tried out for and it's not the same as Team Canada not picking him for the World Cup.

I think we think that these kids getting big money should magically turn them in to really objective professionals who just put their head down and do what they need to. The reality is that they're still people with emotions, and they're ones that have in many cases led pretty insulated lives.

Money, girls, fame - it all seems to come pretty easy to these guys and I think that can shape a weird perception of reality. Agents, family and the team do all they can to insulate them from anything bad. When they finally face some adversity, it can hit really hard.

I remember playing on a hockey team as a kid that went undefeated for the entire season. We were just unstoppable and rolled over everyone. We lost that year in the league final and it was maybe the hardest I've ever seen a team take a loss. Everyone was just distraught after the game (although we had a great coach who made a fantastic speech to the group that really helped). If we'd have lost a few games along the way, I think we might not have had the same feeling of invulnerability, and it wouldn't have hurt as much as it did to lose at the end.

I think it's likely the same for some of these guys. Hall goes through life thinking that everything's always coming up "Taylor" and then just when it seems to be happening again - the addition of McDavid is clearly going to change the team's fortunes so the losing will finally end - the rug is ripped out from under him and he's sent to another terrible team in a less than awesome market where the fans don't really care. It had to come as a tremendous blow and he may not really be equipped to handle that sort of reverse.

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #690527 is a reply to message #690521 ]
Fri, 07 April 2017 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 07 April 2017 14:57

Remember, he's still pretty young and this is something he has never faced before in his career. There hasn't been a lot of professional rejection. He's made every team he's tried out for and it's not the same as Team Canada not picking him for the World Cup.

I think we think that these kids getting big money should magically turn them in to really objective professionals who just put their head down and do what they need to. The reality is that they're still people with emotions, and they're ones that have in many cases led pretty insulated lives.

Money, girls, fame - it all seems to come pretty easy to these guys and I think that can shape a weird perception of reality. Agents, family and the team do all they can to insulate them from anything bad. When they finally face some adversity, it can hit really hard.

I remember playing on a hockey team as a kid that went undefeated for the entire season. We were just unstoppable and rolled over everyone. We lost that year in the league final and it was maybe the hardest I've ever seen a team take a loss. Everyone was just distraught after the game (although we had a great coach who made a fantastic speech to the group that really helped). If we'd have lost a few games along the way, I think we might not have had the same feeling of invulnerability, and it wouldn't have hurt as much as it did to lose at the end.

I think it's likely the same for some of these guys. Hall goes through life thinking that everything's always coming up "Taylor" and then just when it seems to be happening again - the addition of McDavid is clearly going to change the team's fortunes so the losing will finally end - the rug is ripped out from under him and he's sent to another terrible team in a less than awesome market where the fans don't really care. It had to come as a tremendous blow and he may not really be equipped to handle that sort of reverse.

Absolutely. Wherever he's played, with the exception of Edmonton in his pro career, he's been part of the equation of success. If you view yourself as a valuable solid contributor to the organization, you have to be somewhat crushed if you're not seeing it through as part of the solution. I guess he doesn't see that he was part of Chiarelli's solution in that he was the best asset the organization had outside of McDavid that could be dealt to fill a need.

It's a moot point now, but the Oilers purposely took a blow in losing that trade in isolation.....I don't know how anyone could say that Chiarelli wasn't rolling the dice there. Some other moves happened, some players matured, and some stars had to align to get where we are today.....which is the Oilers being a vastly better hockey team than they were a year ago. I was frigging beside myself when they made that deal, but funny how the organization actually delivering a very good regular season (which I think is going to be sustainable), has taken the edge off.

[Updated on: Fri, 07 April 2017 15:39]

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #690530 is a reply to message #690521 ]
Fri, 07 April 2017 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 07 April 2017 14:57

I get what you're saying, but he still has made himself stand out as one of the very few that are able to act professional in a situation like this. I am thinking of him in relation to all those other NHLers that have to be part of teams, and act like a member of something bigger than themselves. I personally think Hall has shown himself to not yet be able to really be that kind of professional. Excellent individual for sure, but he still shows a lot of immaturity in some other aspects of being an NHLer.

And I wouldn't disagree that the horrible atmosphere and team culture Lowe allowed to exist in the Oilers org helped delay him maturing in some of those aspects, but he's getting to that age now where he should know what being a real professional and leader in the NHL looks like. And I don't think that includes whining about how hard done by you are to the media and going in depths about the spite and resentment you feel towards the team that traded you a year ago. And I think he talked about his future of taking a discount deal on a good team, while he's still under contract for 3 more years with the Devils.

[Updated on: Fri, 07 April 2017 16:09]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689436 is a reply to message #689423 ]
Fri, 24 March 2017 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

I wouldn't be shocked if he's already requested a trade out of NJ this summer. Seriously, I'm beyond caring what he says or thinks about the Oilers anymore.... It's just gross how it all reflect on his current team. I don't watch any NJ games, but it wouldn't shock me a bit if when he takes a dirty shot on the ice, none of his teammates stand up for him.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689437 is a reply to message #689436 ]
Fri, 24 March 2017 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cableguy  is currently offline cableguy

No Cups

So many Lay up answers to that question but he chooses to make it about himself. I still think there are things we don't know that happened behind closed doors that lead to the trade. I am over it and more than happy with Larson, there are still lots of people not over it and one of them is Taylor Hall it seems.

Still jaded but we've got McDavid

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689442 is a reply to message #689437 ]
Fri, 24 March 2017 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

If I was a teammate or in NJ management. I would be pissed off at this guy big time. In his year end interview with the GM I would have a very serious heart to heart and let him know this is not acceptable anymore. The trade is done & time to help your current tema with 100% focus. Obviously Chiarelli & TMac saw he is too emotional to be a true leader and knew they had to move him, plus he had some good trade value (even though all teams knew they had us over a barrel).

Hall is a very good player, but if his heart and passion isn't fully into it then he can be a negative for the team.

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689482 is a reply to message #689442 ]
Sat, 25 March 2017 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

http://i.imgur.com/seh46Su.jpg

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689563 is a reply to message #689423 ]
Sun, 26 March 2017 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V  is currently offline V

No Cups

Weird that this is still a story. Oilers are better off without Hall, obviously. Everyone should just move on.

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 April 2008 11:39

V is quite possibly the best poster on Oilfans.

Suck it J$.

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #689571 is a reply to message #689563 ]
Sun, 26 March 2017 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

V wrote on Sun, 26 March 2017 11:56

Weird that this is still a story. Oilers are better off without Hall, obviously. Everyone should just move on.

Who is this "Hall" that everyone is speaking of?

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695002 is a reply to message #689423 ]
Thu, 25 May 2017 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Seriously, wth is wrong with this guy?

From an interview today:

https://oilersnation.com/2017/05/25/taylor-hall-it-was-nice- to-finally-see-the-oilers-get-eliminated/?utm_source=dlvr.it &utm_medium=twitter

Quote:

Taylor Hall appeared on Sportsnet 590’s Starting Lineup on Thursday in Toronto, and he had some candid words on what it was like watching his former team go on a playoff run this spring.

“I wouldn’t say I wanted them to lose, but it was nice to finally see them maybe get eliminated,” Hall said when asked about whether or not he was cheering for the Oilers to lose Game 7 against the Anaheim Ducks.

“It’s a tough thing to describe to people. I think there’s been enough time that’s passed since the trade has happened that you finally just kind of… it is what it is now. And I’m a Devil, and I’m excited to see what we can do next season.”

This comes a couple of months after Hall said he wouldn’t be rooting for the Oilers in the playoffs.

“It’s a weird dynamic,” Hall said in an interview with Luke Fox of Sportsnet. “You’re happy for your friends, that they’re doing well and they’re going to experience the playoffs, but you can’t help but be a bit jealous.

crazy

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695005 is a reply to message #695002 ]
Thu, 25 May 2017 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 25 May 2017 11:41

From an interview today:

https://oilersnation.com/2017/05/25/taylor-hall-it-was-nice- to-finally-see-the-oilers-get-eliminated/?utm_source=dlvr.it &utm_medium=twitter

Quote:

Taylor Hall appeared on Sportsnet 590’s Starting Lineup on Thursday in Toronto, and he had some candid words on what it was like watching his former team go on a playoff run this spring.

“I wouldn’t say I wanted them to lose, but it was nice to finally see them maybe get eliminated,” Hall said when asked about whether or not he was cheering for the Oilers to lose Game 7 against the Anaheim Ducks.

“It’s a tough thing to describe to people. I think there’s been enough time that’s passed since the trade has happened that you finally just kind of… it is what it is now. And I’m a Devil, and I’m excited to see what we can do next season.”

This comes a couple of months after Hall said he wouldn’t be rooting for the Oilers in the playoffs.

“It’s a weird dynamic,” Hall said in an interview with Luke Fox of Sportsnet. “You’re happy for your friends, that they’re doing well and they’re going to experience the playoffs, but you can’t help but be a bit jealous.

crazy

He needs to hire a PR guy or media relations coach or something.

Off topic, but how come he wasn't on team Canada this spring?

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695006 is a reply to message #695002 ]
Thu, 25 May 2017 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 25 May 2017 12:41

From an interview today:

Quote:

crazy

In a month it will be a YEAR since the trade. A freaking year and he is STILL whining about the trade. I am sure someone will say. "Well they keep asking him". THey keep asking him because he keeps whining about it and giving out golden answers for easy stories. All he has to do is say. "I am happy for my friends, I am happy for the fans. I can't wait for the season to get here for my team." That's it. End it there. Then he comes off as happy for his buddies but not whining and he sounds like a motivated pro athlete raring to go.

Nope, not Hallsy. I want to be there with those guys, I am jealous. No FAIR!! He comes off sounding like the guy who still has a picture of his ex in his wallet and on the night stand who throws himself at her feet crying every times he sees there even though his current girlfriend is standing there watching him.

Hall was my favorite Oiler before McDavid. I have his jersey and a t-shirt. The more he talks, the more I hear him whine, the more happy I get that he is gone and I think he was one of the reasons the Oilers didn't do anything. I am sure someone will bring it up AGAIN that it shows he wanted to be here. Sorry but it's been a year. Get over it.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 May 2017 14:40]

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695007 is a reply to message #695006 ]
Thu, 25 May 2017 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Here is a question. How long before the Devils trade him?

He's got 3 years left on his deal at 6 mill. It's not a bad contract. Given the Devils team and how bad they were, given their lack of good forwards, lack of defense plus some of their key guys another year older AND their #1 will not be a star player as it is a weak draft, I can't see them in the playoffs again this coming season. So when Hall is in year 2 of being a Devil and he scores 25 goals, 60 pts, right where he usually scores. The Devils will have a slight up tick in points because Schneider will be better but I can't seem them doing a hell of a lot better. So by February, when they are realistically out of the playoffs. Hall will be going into his 8th consecutive season of no playoffs so he will be in full on sulking, mailing it in mode and his sulking, negative attitude starts to spread, I wonder if the Devils will pull the trigger in the next offseason.

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695008 is a reply to message #695007 ]
Thu, 25 May 2017 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 25 May 2017 14:45

He's got 3 years left on his deal at 6 mill. It's not a bad contract. Given the Devils team and how bad they were, given their lack of good forwards, lack of defense plus some of their key guys another year older AND their #1 will not be a star player as it is a weak draft, I can't see them in the playoffs again this coming season. So when Hall is in year 2 of being a Devil and he scores 25 goals, 60 pts, right where he usually scores. The Devils will have a slight up tick in points because Schneider will be better but I can't seem them doing a hell of a lot better. So by February, when they are realistically out of the playoffs. Hall will be going into his 8th consecutive season of no playoffs so he will be in full on sulking, mailing it in mode and his sulking, negative attitude starts to spread, I wonder if the Devils will pull the trigger in the next offseason.

I really can't see the Devils being competitive any time soon. Their rock on D, Greene, is going to be on a steep decline now, and no one else on that team seemed to be able to defend last season. The division is hell. The draft this year is not strong. The guy they draft may not be a big contributor for a year or 2.

Either they trade him, or Hall may ask for a trade. Or, at least in a couple years he will make it clear he's not signing an extension and forces their hand that way.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695009 is a reply to message #695008 ]
Thu, 25 May 2017 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

So all I see are Halls answers. What about the questions he was asked. He surely didn't go in in this direction out of the blue. Where is the context to any of that. Furthermore players are asked about old teams all the time in interviews. Only in Edmonton does it make news. Really the guy was our best player for a long time. Worked his ass off. Wanted to be here. All he does it take hell for it. Perhaps before you all say how childish he is for answering honestly a question he was asked in a interview, a look in the mirror is in order. Bashing a guy that did nothing but love being a Oiler. That's childish. He's allowed his feelings. Perhaps people should quit asking those questions if the don't want the answers. Majority of our fans and media are a bunch of trolls.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695010 is a reply to message #695009 ]
Thu, 25 May 2017 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Thu, 25 May 2017 15:43

So all I see are Halls answers. What about the questions he was asked. He surely didn't go in in this direction out of the blue. Where is the context to any of that. Furthermore players are asked about old teams all the time in interviews. Only in Edmonton does it make news. Really the guy was our best player for a long time. Worked his ass off. Wanted to be here. All he does it take hell for it. Perhaps before you all say how childish he is for answering honestly a question he was asked in a interview, a look in the mirror is in order. Bashing a guy that did nothing but love being a Oiler. That's childish. He's allowed his feelings. Perhaps people should quit asking those questions if the don't want the answers. Majority of our fans and media are a bunch of trolls.

Most media are paid trolls. That's how they get their hits and attention. Hall is paid handsomely to exist in a world full of trolls that want juicy headlines from conversations with him.

As a fan. What's wrong with accepting this extra insight into a players personality that we're being given from stuff like these interviews/responses? :) We're not talking to Hall and bugging him, just accepting this insight, and adding it to the database to understand what makes him tick.

Think each person can take it for what it's worth. IMO, Hall continues to show why he may have not been popular in the Oilers dressing room. Someone that can let pettiness and negativity continue to pour out of him like this, it makes more sense. And IMO, it's no longer about how much he loved it here and wanted to be here. This is all about Hall, how he was treated unfairly, like he was the only guy in history to be traded, and how bitter he is Chia didn't warn him, how he feels the trade was an indictment on him as a player, and so on.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 May 2017 16:02]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695013 is a reply to message #695009 ]
Thu, 25 May 2017 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Thu, 25 May 2017 15:43

He's being asked the same question over and over again because he's spouting off again and again taking the bait. These high end players are trained on how to answer questions with the media since they are kids. If you think the Devils media guy is slapping Hall on the back telling him he did a great job as he tells how jealous he is and how he wishes he was an Oiler over and over again, you are out to lunch dude.

I am sure the media guy is pulling him aside and telling him to stop it. All he is doing is feeding the media what they want. Plus I am sure there are guys on his team rolling their eyes wishing he would just stop. He's currently their best player. It does not look good on him to be constantly talking about his old team and how jealous he is of them. His focus is supposed to be on his team not his old one. If you had a buddy who's girlfriend broke up with him and he was still crying at the table about her a year later over beers. You'd slap him, tell him to man up and get over it.

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695016 is a reply to message #695013 ]
Thu, 25 May 2017 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

So you would rather players just spout out the same media friendly crap we hear constantly. I want to know what they think not what the teams pr office/ legal department thinks. You act like players needing to be trained to talk to a reporter is a good thing. Wouldn't it be better if the media could act like reporters instead of clowns.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695039 is a reply to message #695016 ]
Fri, 26 May 2017 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Babaganoosh wrote on Thu, 25 May 2017 19:26

So you would rather players just spout out the same media friendly crap we hear constantly. I want to know what they think not what the teams pr office/ legal department thinks. You act like players needing to be trained to talk to a reporter is a good thing. Wouldn't it be better if the media could act like reporters instead of clowns.

Maybe I'm alone here, but the reason I don't like hearing Hall respond the way he does to these questions is how it reflects on Hall. Like many others, I was a HUGE Hall fan from the mem cup onward. He WAS the Oilers for many years and deservedly so. It's hard to watch him say things that ultimately make HIM look bad. We've all touched on how his comments likely come off to team mates, the Devils, the fans. I really could give 2 craps about that. It bothers me that a player that I cheered so much doesn't seem to have the self-awareness to see that his comments actually make HIM look like a whiner, immature, sour grapes, call it what you want. It reflects badly on his character imo and he doesn't seem to realize it, or perhaps he just doesn't care. To me that's sad and disappointing. Ultimately he's the on that continues to perpetuate this, not the media. He can chose to not participate, yet he does. I think, if it hasn't already, his attitude in the year following the trade will haunt him in future contract negotiations and his perceived value across the league.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695050 is a reply to message #695039 ]
Sun, 28 May 2017 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Taylor Hall, whose last playoff appearance was in a Memorial Cup final with Windsor a million years ago, will be interviewed on Sportsnet in the next few minutes. I hope he says something fun about playoff experiences.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695012 is a reply to message #695008 ]
Thu, 25 May 2017 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 25 May 2017 14:53

I really can't see the Devils being competitive any time soon. Their rock on D, Greene, is going to be on a steep decline now, and no one else on that team seemed to be able to defend last season. The division is hell. The draft this year is not strong. The guy they draft may not be a big contributor for a year or 2.

Either they trade him, or Hall may ask for a trade. Or, at least in a couple years he will make it clear he's not signing an extension and forces their hand that way.

I agree. If you look at their roster. https://www.nhl.com/devils/roster/
Camalleri is soon to be 35 and is part of their top 6. He's on a steep decline.
Zajac is 32 an OK center. Probably a 2nd/3rd line center. At 32 he's going to start declining.
Palmieri is an OK top 6 winger but I wouldn't say he's a really good one. He is 26. So he's in his prime right now so its not like he has another level.
Henrique is a slightly younger Zajac at 27. So in his prime and most likely as good as he is going to get. Again, he's a 2nd/3rd line center.
Hall is going to be 26. He's a real good top 6 player but he is a winger and he will be 26 this year. He's in his prime right now but I don't see another level for him.
I have no clue who is their other top 6 player. But regardless, I don't see anyone on their list that jumps off the page.

Then you have whoever they draft at #1. I assume he will play this coming season but it's supposed to be a weak draft. Good players but I haven't heard anyone say there is a superstar in it.

ON defense. Their best guy is Greene who's soon to be 35. Even Schiender is 31.

Kovalchuk wants to come back to the NHL. No way he wants to play for a bottom feeding Devils. So they will trade him. Regardless, no one is trading a really good player who steps into their top 6 in a sign and trade for Kovalchuk. They will get a pick or a prospect or maybe both.

So I could totally see Hall at some point ask for a trade. He's not stupid. They are years away from being good. If he isn't traded, he is GONE from the Devils as soon as his contract is up.

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695024 is a reply to message #695012 ]
Thu, 25 May 2017 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 25 May 2017 17:22

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 25 May 2017 14:53

I agree. If you look at their roster. https://www.nhl.com/devils/roster/
Camalleri is soon to be 35 and is part of their top 6. He's on a steep decline.
Zajac is 32 an OK center. Probably a 2nd/3rd line center. At 32 he's going to start declining.
Palmieri is an OK top 6 winger but I wouldn't say he's a really good one. He is 26. So he's in his prime right now so its not like he has another level.
Henrique is a slightly younger Zajac at 27. So in his prime and most likely as good as he is going to get. Again, he's a 2nd/3rd line center.
Hall is going to be 26. He's a real good top 6 player but he is a winger and he will be 26 this year. He's in his prime right now but I don't see another level for him.
I have no clue who is their other top 6 player. But regardless, I don't see anyone on their list that jumps off the page.

Then you have whoever they draft at #1. I assume he will play this coming season but it's supposed to be a weak draft. Good players but I haven't heard anyone say there is a superstar in it.

ON defense. Their best guy is Greene who's soon to be 35. Even Schiender is 31.

Kovalchuk wants to come back to the NHL. No way he wants to play for a bottom feeding Devils. So they will trade him. Regardless, no one is trading a really good player who steps into their top 6 in a sign and trade for Kovalchuk. They will get a pick or a prospect or maybe both.

So I could totally see Hall at some point ask for a trade. He's not stupid. They are years away from being good. If he isn't traded, he is GONE from the Devils as soon as his contract is up.

Great points..but I could see the Devils trading Hall for more qualified cornerstone players to build around...that would eventually benefit them ONLY in the long run bc they ain't got too many complimentary pieces up the pipeline.

I can also envision Corey Schneider being dealt first since it's pointless to have a cornerstone goalie if you can't even contend for a playoff spot within the next few years; he's also their most valuable trade asset that will garner the best ROI.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 May 2017 23:08]

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695058 is a reply to message #695007 ]
Mon, 29 May 2017 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 25 May 2017 13:45

He's got 3 years left on his deal at 6 mill. It's not a bad contract. Given the Devils team and how bad they were, given their lack of good forwards, lack of defense plus some of their key guys another year older AND their #1 will not be a star player as it is a weak draft, I can't see them in the playoffs again this coming season. So when Hall is in year 2 of being a Devil and he scores 25 goals, 60 pts, right where he usually scores.

Grabbed this from the Starting lineups thread (speaking about Eberle):

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 15 May 2017 07:35

OK great but that still doesn't change the fact that he's being paid 6 mill and being paid as if he is a consistent 30+ goal, 70 pt guy. He was given that contract right after he had 34 goals, 76 pts. He's never gotten close since. So even if he does bounce back and scores 25 goals and pushes 60 pts, which is where he settled into before this season, he's still way overpaid

So if Hall, with 3 years left on his contract, scores 25 goals and 60 points then it's not a bad contract. But if Eberle, with only 2 years left, does it, he's "way overpaid" and the Oilers need to dump him immediately.

I don't point this out to call you out (although I realize that is basically what I'm doing), but more just to show the cognitive dissonance we all have when it comes to our favourite team. There is definitely an emotional element to our perceptions about players and coaches.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695061 is a reply to message #695058 ]
Mon, 29 May 2017 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 29 May 2017 11:48

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 25 May 2017 13:45

He's got 3 years left on his deal at 6 mill. It's not a bad contract. Given the Devils team and how bad they were, given their lack of good forwards, lack of defense plus some of their key guys another year older AND their #1 will not be a star player as it is a weak draft, I can't see them in the playoffs again this coming season. So when Hall is in year 2 of being a Devil and he scores 25 goals, 60 pts, right where he usually scores.

Grabbed this from the Starting lineups thread (speaking about Eberle):

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 15 May 2017 07:35

OK great but that still doesn't change the fact that he's being paid 6 mill and being paid as if he is a consistent 30+ goal, 70 pt guy. He was given that contract right after he had 34 goals, 76 pts. He's never gotten close since. So even if he does bounce back and scores 25 goals and pushes 60 pts, which is where he settled into before this season, he's still way overpaid

So if Hall, with 3 years left on his contract, scores 25 goals and 60 points then it's not a bad contract. But if Eberle, with only 2 years left, does it, he's "way overpaid" and the Oilers need to dump him immediately.

I don't point this out to call you out (although I realize that is basically what I'm doing), but more just to show the cognitive dissonance we all have when it comes to our favourite team. There is definitely an emotional element to our perceptions about players and coaches.

What it comes down to for me and I have qualified myself many times is what does a player bring to your team other than scoring? I have said all along and I think most people agree that Eberle is a one dimensional player. He's a decent scorer capable of putting up 25 goals and 60 pts but when he doesn't score, he's not doing much else for your team. That isn't intended on being a shot at him, its the way that it is. When Eberle isn't feeling it, there are many games where he doesn't nothing. So if all you do is put up 25 goals, 60 pts but do nothing else for your team, then I feel you make too much much at 6 mill because you aren't scoring enough to justify the contract.

In the case of Hall. I don't believe he is as one dimensional of a player as Eberle. I believe he brings more to a game than just offense so when isn't actually scoring, he's doing other things. He has more speed than Eberle which brings something to the game. If he isn't scoring but he is skating well, he backs the opposition up so it opens up ice for other players. Eberle isn't a good skater, he doesn't back people up, so he doesn't open up ice for others. Hall has more size and more edge to his game. Hall doesn't hit a ton but he has the ability to blow someone up, we've seen it from time to time. So his size and physicalness to his game adds something to the game.

I don't know what your thoughts are on the 2 players but I think Hall brings more than just offense so if he isn't on the score sheet, he's not completely invisible. So that is why I think Hall's contract isn't too bad where as Eberle is a bit over paid. I will say that I am not one of those who thinks Hall is underpaid. In my opinion, he makes about what he should as I have to think when the Oilers signed him, they thought he would score more than he has.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 May 2017 12:27]

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695063 is a reply to message #695061 ]
Mon, 29 May 2017 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 29 May 2017 11:16

What it comes down to for me and I have qualified myself many times is what does a player bring to your team other than scoring? I have said all along and I think most people agree that Eberle is a one dimensional player. He's a decent scorer capable of putting up 25 goals and 60 pts but when he doesn't score, he's not doing much else for your team. That isn't intended on being a shot at him, its the way that it is. When Eberle isn't feeling it, there are many games where he doesn't nothing. So if all you do is put up 25 goals, 60 pts but do nothing else for your team, then I feel you make too much much at 6 mill because you aren't scoring enough to justify the contract.

In the case of Hall. I don't believe he is as one dimensional of a player as Eberle. I believe he brings more to a game than just offense so when isn't actually scoring, he's doing other things. He has more speed than Eberle which brings something to the game. If he isn't scoring but he is skating well, he backs the opposition up so it opens up ice for other players. Eberle isn't a good skater, he doesn't back people up, so he doesn't open up ice for others. Hall has more size and more edge to his game. Hall doesn't hit a ton but he has the ability to blow someone up, we've seen it from time to time. So his size and physicalness to his game adds something to the game.

I don't know what your thoughts are on the 2 players but I think Hall brings more than just offense so if he isn't on the score sheet, he's not completely invisible. So that is why I think Hall's contract isn't too bad where as Eberle is a bit over paid. I will say that I am not one of those who thinks Hall is underpaid. In my opinion, he makes about what he should as I have to think when the Oilers signed him, they thought he would score more than he has.

I guess I have a hard time believing that Hall's speed, if it's not resulting in more points, and an occasional hit are worth an additional $1-$2M per year. You also said that you expect Hall to mail it in and sulk if the Devils are out of it next year. That to me would negate any positives his skating ability brings.

To put it another way, and again I'm totally speculating here, but if Eberle was a better skater I have my doubts that anyone around here would give him any credit for that. He significantly upped his hit totals, physical play and defensive play in the playoffs and the majority of the comments were basically: "ya that's great, but he's not scoring so who cares".

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Hall takes the bait again... [message #695066 is a reply to message #695063 ]
Mon, 29 May 2017 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 29 May 2017 12:38

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 29 May 2017 11:16

I guess I have a hard time believing that Hall's speed, if it's not resulting in more points, and an occasional hit are worth an additional $1-$2M per year. You also said that you expect Hall to mail it in and sulk if the Devils are out of it next year. That to me would negate any positives his skating ability brings.

To put it another way, and again I'm totally speculating here, but if Eberle was a better skater I have my doubts that anyone around here would give him any credit for that. He significantly upped his hit totals, physical play and defensive play in the playoffs and the majority of the comments were basically: "ya that's great, but he's not scoring so who cares".

Well I am not sure what else you want me to say dude. Eberle makes the same amount of money as Hall does. I personally can't justify that as I think Hall is a better player than Eberle and brings more in a game than Eberle does. They just play different styles of play. If you poll the people in here, I would be willing to bet it would be close to 100% as to preferring the Oilers would have traded Eberle instead of Hall. If you polled people in here, I would be willing to bet that people would think Hall's contract is fine, while Eberle probably makes a little too much even though their offensive numbers are close. I would think that if you polled people in the NHL, most would think Hall's contract is just fine while Eberle's is too much.

So I don't know man.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Biggest surprise careers
Next Topic:NHL will NOT participate in the 2018 Olympics
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca