F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Brian Boyle
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Brian Boyle [message #686685]
Mon, 06 February 2017 12:24 Go to next message
rrathel716  is currently offline rrathel716

No Cups

Well the more I am reading about this guy the more I think we should acquire him. Huge Center that is physical, plays on PK, contribute a little and is sound defensively. 6'6'' and 244 pounds is 32 years old and would be a nice addition for 3C, contract expiring but only 2M. Caggiula is a nice surprise but not for a playoff run that guy has playoff and Stanley cup experience. Sure could be had for one of those extra draft pick.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Brian Boyle [message #686695 is a reply to message #686685 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

Boyle and Hanzal are the guys I would be targeting for that 3C position for sure. I don't have a preference as to which - either are an upgrade over Caggiula.
Whichever one is cheaper I guess.

Re: Brian Boyle [message #686696 is a reply to message #686695 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

6 Cups

I would go after him as he's be a nice fit as a 3rd line center.

Re: Brian Boyle [message #686700 is a reply to message #686685 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Head Scout of the Surrey Eagles, not sure how involved he is within the Oilers circle but he's got a couple tweets about Oilers rumours; Davidson for Boyle, extensions for McDavid and Drai, Oil in talks with Florida (Berra) and Ottawa (Hammond).

https://twitter.com/JMarshyBosco93

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Brian Boyle [message #686702 is a reply to message #686700 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 15:20

Head Scout of the Surrey Eagles, not sure how involved he is within the Oilers circle but he's got a couple tweets about Oilers rumours; Davidson for Boyle, extensions for McDavid and Drai, Oil in talks with Florida (Berra) and Ottawa (Hammond).

Even if the trade makes sense (which it needs a bit more back to the Oilers to be even because of contracts) the Lightning have a ton of forwards to protect for expansion which would only leave 3 Dmen to protect. They have 4 good ones right now. So unless they make some trades of forwards out they are in real tough for the expansion draft.

Maybe Boyle (UFA) & a conditional pick (if Boyle signs) for Davidson. If Boyle signs no pick the other way & a fair deal IMO. If he doesn't then we get a 3rd or 4th rd pick for the draft.

I would offer the 3rd rd pick from the Yakupov trade straight up for Boyle and see what happens. Then trade Davidson closer to the deadline (Nurse would be a week or so away then) for a decent young prospect really close to the breaking into the NHL. Someone like Mike McCarron from the Habs. He is a hulking big 3rd line type of guy that is just cutting his teeth this year. He can play center or RW.

Then you would have Boyle & McCarron (both huge) on the 3rd line.

Re: Brian Boyle [message #686711 is a reply to message #686700 ]
Mon, 06 February 2017 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

1 Cup

OilMJMOil wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 15:20

Connor McDavid $97M/8 yrs.
Leon Draisaitl $64M/8 yrs.

That's over 20 million/year for two players--ridiculous for two RFAs. That would put both in the top 20 in the whole league. McDavid may deserve to be there (but not at 12.1 million), but Draisaitl has no business making 8 million a year yet. Way too early for such big contracts.

I would like to think the Oilers can shave several million per year off of each of those.

Re: Brian Boyle [message #686728 is a reply to message #686711 ]
Tue, 07 February 2017 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I would do the trade of Boyle for Davidson. Long term, I see McDavid and Draisaitl as your 1-2. That leaves Nuge in the bottom 6. He makes WAY too much money to be your 3rd line center and with McDavid and Drai's contracts coming, you have to shed salary. Boyle is a big, strong, physical, faceoff winning, good defensively, checking center that is a decent skater and routinely puts up mid teens in goals. Is that not what you want as your 3rd line center? He makes 2 mill, would could give him a nice raise and still be half of what Nuge makes. You keep hearing soooo much about the Oilers not wanting to lose Davidson for nothing. I like Davidson but he's not more than a 5-6 dman. With Sekera, Larsson, Klefbom as for sure top 3. Then you have Benning who might be the #4 given he's a right shot. I would play Benning over Davidson. If you can secure a good 3rd line center, that frees up Nuge to get you another right shot that can maybe play on your PP.

For the contracts. They are ridiculous. No way you pay him more than Scheifele. Last season, Scheifele was coming off of a 29 goal, 61 pt in 71 games. If you go look at Scheifele's numbers previously, then you compare them to Drai's, they are close. If Drai at the end of the year ends up with Scheifele's numbers, that's pretty good. Scheifele signed for 6.125 per year. Monahan signed 6.375, McKinnon, 6.3. Now way Drai can justify 8.

McDavid's 97 over 8. That means he's making over 12 per as a cap hit. I love Mcdavid. I think he's better than Kane, Toews, Kopitar and will most definitely be better than them but cups matter in the NHL. No way he signs for more than those guys. Besides, I believe that McDavid is smart enough to know that if he signs a deal like that, he hamstrings his team severely and lessens their chance of winning. McDavid's NHL salary will be WAY less than any endorsements he will make. Being on a top tier, championship team year after year is worth WAY more to him financially endorsement wise than taking the max he can from the Oilers and playing on a mid tier team because the team can't afford cap wise to surround him with enough good players.

So it comes down to what he wants out of his career. If he wants to just make a ton of money, then you max out the contract. But if he wants to win and build a legacy, he will take less. Legacy's are built with cups. There are a lot of guys who scored a ton of points but never won and no one cares about them. But then you look at a guy like Toews. Very good player. Personally, I wouldn't put him above some guys that didn't make the top 100. There are going to be guys who score WAY more points than him (Iginla) but he's got rings so because of the rings, he's considered one of the best.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 February 2017 09:09]

Re: Brian Boyle [message #686790 is a reply to message #686728 ]
Wed, 08 February 2017 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rrathel716  is currently offline rrathel716

No Cups

Exactly what we need a big center that can chip in offensively moderately and cheap and you are right about RNH could be the centerpiece to get us Shattenkirk with a conditional pick from St-Louis if he doesn't resign. RNH salary will be given to Draisaitl 6M 6 years like to others before. then in a year shed Eberle salary for MCJesus I would also try to get Patrick Eaves this year

Re: Brian Boyle [message #686731 is a reply to message #686685 ]
Tue, 07 February 2017 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looch  is currently offline Looch

No Cups

Chances are good that McDavid is going to be the highest paid player in the league if he wants to be. Who knows, maybe he figures he makes more than enough through endorsements and signs something more team friendly...

...and Boyle for Davidson is fantastic. Pad the middle for a playoff run and more.

Re: Brian Boyle [message #686804 is a reply to message #686731 ]
Thu, 09 February 2017 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Looch wrote on Tue, 07 February 2017 10:23

Chances are good that McDavid is going to be the highest paid player in the league if he wants to be. Who knows, maybe he figures he makes more than enough through endorsements and signs something more team friendly...

...and Boyle for Davidson is fantastic. Pad the middle for a playoff run and more.

For McDavid, it all comes down to what he wants. If he wants to just make tons of money, then he takes as much as he can get and he will get it. If he wants to win and build a legacy, he takes less to make a better team. I personally think he is a legacy builder. Sure he is from Toronto but he currently plays on the team where the greatest player of all time built his legend in Gretzky who just happens to now be part of the team. AND he plays on the team where the greatest leader ever in Messier built most of his legend who just happens to be part of the team. How good would McDavid look if he was the guy to bring glory back to the Oilers. He's going to make a TON of money in endorsements, his NHL salary will just be his walking around money.

As an example. If you look at the Hawks. They won their last cup at the end of the 14-15 season. That summer, both Kane and Toews signed identical 10.5 mill cap hit deals. I think that is the absolute top those guys could have got. In my opinion, probably because they have won 3 cups, they went for the money and put the team behind them. The Hawks are typically near the top cap wise every year. As soon as they signed Kane and Toews, they sold off Saad and Sharp. They hit the jackpot and found Panarin. He makes $812,500. At the start of the next season, he jumps to 6 mill. If you go look at capfriendly. They have just over 1 mill in cap space today. https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/blackhawks But at the end of this season, they have a bunch of rfa's to sign, they have UFA's that they either resign or have to replace. Even if the manage to sign all those RFA's and UFA's to the exact same contracts, they don't have enough cap space to take on Panarin's HUGE bump in salary. So they have to shed another really good player. So slowly they are eroding their team.

Toews and Kane before their new contracts already made a ton of money. Unless they are dumb with money, they probably made enough to last them more than a life time and they still had a ton of earning years left. I don't begrudge Kane and Toews from maxing out, they earned it. But if they wanted to win more, they could have easily took a couple mill less a piece, still made a TON more money but allowed their team more flexibility.

Re: Brian Boyle [message #686808 is a reply to message #686804 ]
Thu, 09 February 2017 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 09 February 2017 08:13

For McDavid, it all comes down to what he wants. If he wants to just make tons of money, then he takes as much as he can get and he will get it. If he wants to win and build a legacy, he takes less to make a better team. I personally think he is a legacy builder. Sure he is from Toronto but he currently plays on the team where the greatest player of all time built his legend in Gretzky who just happens to now be part of the team. AND he plays on the team where the greatest leader ever in Messier built most of his legend who just happens to be part of the team. How good would McDavid look if he was the guy to bring glory back to the Oilers. He's going to make a TON of money in endorsements, his NHL salary will just be his walking around money.

As an example. If you look at the Hawks. They won their last cup at the end of the 14-15 season. That summer, both Kane and Toews signed identical 10.5 mill cap hit deals. I think that is the absolute top those guys could have got. In my opinion, probably because they have won 3 cups, they went for the money and put the team behind them. The Hawks are typically near the top cap wise every year. As soon as they signed Kane and Toews, they sold off Saad and Sharp. They hit the jackpot and found Panarin. He makes $812,500. At the start of the next season, he jumps to 6 mill. If you go look at capfriendly. They have just over 1 mill in cap space today. https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/blackhawks But at the end of this season, they have a bunch of rfa's to sign, they have UFA's that they either resign or have to replace. Even if the manage to sign all those RFA's and UFA's to the exact same contracts, they don't have enough cap space to take on Panarin's HUGE bump in salary. So they have to shed another really good player. So slowly they are eroding their team.

Toews and Kane before their new contracts already made a ton of money. Unless they are dumb with money, they probably made enough to last them more than a life time and they still had a ton of earning years left. I don't begrudge Kane and Toews from maxing out, they earned it. But if they wanted to win more, they could have easily took a couple mill less a piece, still made a TON more money but allowed their team more flexibility.

I wonder how much pressure the NHLPA puts on the top players to max out their contracts in order to drive the average salary higher? Where would a player draw the line between what's best for the cause vs building a dynasty? I imagine it would differ player to player, but at the end of the day if you're salary is 9M/yr vs 10M/yr x 8 years are you really going to feel it? Throw in all the endorsements and my guess would be no. So it really comes down to the union getting as much as they can from the owners. Not saying that's wrong or right, just pondering. I would think that McDavid will pressured as much as any player that came before him to get to most he possibly can out of the Oilers.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Brian Boyle [message #686815 is a reply to message #686808 ]
Thu, 09 February 2017 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Thu, 09 February 2017 11:19

I wonder how much pressure the NHLPA puts on the top players to max out their contracts in order to drive the average salary higher? Where would a player draw the line between what's best for the cause vs building a dynasty? I imagine it would differ player to player, but at the end of the day if you're salary is 9M/yr vs 10M/yr x 8 years are you really going to feel it? Throw in all the endorsements and my guess would be no. So it really comes down to the union getting as much as they can from the owners. Not saying that's wrong or right, just pondering. I would think that McDavid will pressured as much as any player that came before him to get to most he possibly can out of the Oilers.

I am sure there will be pressure from the PA. But in saying that, this is a league that values cups. A lot of mediocre guys get paid way too much because they have rings on their hands. Kane and Toews signed their big 10.5 mill shortly after winning their 3rd cup. Kopitar signed his big 10 mill deal but he has 2 rings. So I'd be curious to know what a cup is worth. Toews is a good player but I wouldn't call him in the top 100 but he was voted as a top 100 because he has 3 rings. So that has to play a little in the salary that McDavid can command at this point in his career.

Re: Brian Boyle [message #686817 is a reply to message #686815 ]
Thu, 09 February 2017 14:00 Go to previous message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 09 February 2017 12:47

jds308 wrote on Thu, 09 February 2017 11:19

I am sure there will be pressure from the PA. But in saying that, this is a league that values cups. A lot of mediocre guys get paid way too much because they have rings on their hands. Kane and Toews signed their big 10.5 mill shortly after winning their 3rd cup. Kopitar signed his big 10 mill deal but he has 2 rings. So I'd be curious to know what a cup is worth. Toews is a good player but I wouldn't call him in the top 100 but he was voted as a top 100 because he has 3 rings. So that has to play a little in the salary that McDavid can command at this point in his career.

I get all that, and totally agree however McDavid is different. Toews, Kane, and Kopitar didn't get the same attention in their teens. Connor has been groomed for greatness since puberty, and he's been on this pedestal for as long as he can likely remember. The aura that follows him everywhere is not the same as the 3 players mentioned regardless on how many cups they've won. I like to think that McDavid won't be the highest paid player in the league on his next contract, but would anyone be surprised if he is? I doubt it.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Brian Boyle [message #686814 is a reply to message #686804 ]
Thu, 09 February 2017 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 09 February 2017 10:13

He's going to make a TON of money in endorsements, his NHL salary will just be his walking around money.

I mentioned this in another thread but will mention again that this is a fallacy. Crosby makes around 4.5 mill per year in endorsements and as of last I heard was still the top paid NHL endorser. Going into this year McDavid was only at around 3 mill per year, including his 1 mill per year from CCM.

It isnt chump change but it wont make his NHL contract his walking around money.

Hockey players just simply arent compensated liked other sports for endorsements so if we are hanging our hopes on that being a reason he takes less I think we should prepare for disappointment.

In the end it will come down to his desire to make as much as fast as possible VS wanting to win, with a little dash of pressure from the NHLPA

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Previous Topic:Chara interest anyone?
Next Topic:Patrick Eaves
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca