This day on August 17
None

Happy Birthday To: Ales Cooper, Ingenious_OilerFan, copper&blue, annie01, Kaizzer3

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Yak to Chicago?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Yak to Chicago? [message #677982]
Thu, 06 October 2016 11:10 Go to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

Twitter rumors and now Oilers Nation reposting those tweets.

Unknown return at this point...

Great for Yak if true!

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #677983 is a reply to message #677982 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 06 October 2016 11:10

Great for Yak if true!

One of the top analytics teams in the league targeting your player? Should tell you something. Kinda like New Jersey trying to trade up for your pick in the early 2000's.

I would much prefer Yak went east.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678006 is a reply to message #677983 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 06 October 2016 11:15

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 06 October 2016 11:10

Great for Yak if true!

One of the top analytics teams in the league targeting your player? Should tell you something. Kinda like New Jersey trying to trade up for your pick in the early 2000's.

I would much prefer Yak went east.

I don't think the Oilers would have much issue with trading Yakupov to Calgary or Vancouver if the return were suitable.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #677984 is a reply to message #677982 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I'd be pretty happy for the Yak saga to be over here. Not because I dislike him as a player, but because I'm sick of reading the arguments here.

This is fine.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #677985 is a reply to message #677982 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Waiting for a source a little more credible than Barstool Sports, who is perhaps best known for ranking College Football Cheerleaders.

Might turn into something, but looking for a TSN / ESPN / Sportsnet report.

In any case, IF Yakupov is moved, not a bad landing place for him.

(Apparently people are throwing out the name Mark McNeill... these people being Blackhawks fans, not media. But that actually would make a lot of sense for both clubs).

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #677986 is a reply to message #677982 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Bob McKenzie on the rumour...

Quote:

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Regarding Yakupov to CHI trade rumors, my understanding as follows: CHI has had talks with EDM on Yak, could still have interest in him but there is no imminent deal. CHI, at this moment, still looking at their kids to fill holes, but maybe that changes at some point. EDM would obviously need to take back salary in a Yakupov deal with CHI and while Bowman-Chiarelli did talk Yak trade, nothing too recent. All that said, depending on how things proceed for Hawks, Yakupov is player they have had interest in and may still have some interest.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 October 2016 11:38]

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #677999 is a reply to message #677986 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 06 October 2016 11:36

Quote:

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Regarding Yakupov to CHI trade rumors, my understanding as follows: CHI has had talks with EDM on Yak, could still have interest in him but there is no imminent deal. CHI, at this moment, still looking at their kids to fill holes, but maybe that changes at some point. EDM would obviously need to take back salary in a Yakupov deal with CHI and while Bowman-Chiarelli did talk Yak trade, nothing too recent. All that said, depending on how things proceed for Hawks, Yakupov is player they have had interest in and may still have some interest.

This screams leak by someone on the Oilers side IMO. Bobby MAc says this was a while a go when they discussed Yak...still interest there, but waiting til youngsters in camp work its way out.

I would guess this is Chiarelli leaking this out to another Stanley Cup contender (hello Anaheim). Anaheim needs to sign 2 big contracts right away for Lindholm & Rackell, so they need to trade away a decent sized contract. Fowler is the logical guy to move because of his high trade value. They need help on the wings in their top 9 & can't take a big contract back in a trade because they need to sign their 2 RFA's.

Enter the Oilers offering something like our 2017 1st rd pick (lottery protected), Yak (oilers retain $1 million) & Khaira. The Ducks get a guy with cache' & top 6 potential in Yak, a future 1st rd pick which they love to have picks & Khaira who may turn out to be a big top 9 forward fairly soon, but he is already is in the minors. The best part is they save $2.5 million in cap space & don't miss a beat trading away a top 4 dman. That give the Ducks $10 million in cap space to sign their 2 RFA's which is plenty enough.

The Oilers then turn around and trade Fowler to the Jets straight up for Trouba. That is the lefty/right trade the Jets want & Fowler will complement their dcore beautifully. We sign Trouba to a contract somwhere around $5.5 million for multiple years & insert him into the #4 spot on the right side.
The Oilers then have Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Trouba, Nurse, Davidson & Fayne as their 7 dmen.

Yes, a little out their, but doable if you connect the dots & use cap space as ingnition to get the top 4 righty we still need.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678000 is a reply to message #677999 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Jakey wrote on Thu, 06 October 2016 13:00

Quote:

@TSNBobMcKenzie

This screams leak by someone on the Oilers side IMO. Bobby MAc says this was a while a go when they discussed Yak...still interest there, but waiting til youngsters in camp work its way out.

I would guess this is Chiarelli leaking this out to another Stanley Cup contender (hello Anaheim). Anaheim needs to sign 2 big contracts right away for Lindholm & Rackell, so they need to trade away a decent sized contract. Fowler is the logical guy to move because of his high trade value. They need help on the wings in their top 9 & can't take a big contract back in a trade because they need to sign their 2 RFA's.

Enter the Oilers offering something like our 2017 1st rd pick (lottery protected), Yak (oilers retain $1 million) & Khaira. The Ducks get a guy with cache' & top 6 potential in Yak, a future 1st rd pick which they love to have picks & Khaira who may turn out to be a big top 9 forward fairly soon, but he is already is in the minors. The best part is they save $2.5 million in cap space & don't miss a beat trading away a top 4 dman. That give the Ducks $10 million in cap space to sign their 2 RFA's which is plenty enough.

The Oilers then turn around and trade Fowler to the Jets straight up for Trouba. That is the lefty/right trade the Jets want & Fowler will complement their dcore beautifully. We sign Trouba to a contract somwhere around $5.5 million for multiple years & insert him into the #4 spot on the right side.
The Oilers then have Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Trouba, Nurse, Davidson & Fayne as their 7 dmen.

Yes, a little out their, but doable if you connect the dots & use cap space as ingnition to get the top 4 righty we still need.

I like the way you think, and would love it if this ended up happening.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678005 is a reply to message #678000 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

Big deals like that don't happen anymore. Esp this time of year. If Yak is dealt before Oct 12 the net gain will be his absence.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678007 is a reply to message #678005 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

4 Cups

I wonder if the Oilers could make a trade yak for a guy like Mark McNeil. He's been with the Hawks for awhile. Big, decent skating, right shot center that scores and plays with an edge. Has decent numbers in the AHL but never seems to make the Hawks. For whatever reason doesn't seem to Quenville Oilers don't have a lot of skilled center depth, especially right handed. Might take a bit more than just yak and they might have to hold back salary. But maybe there is a match of 2 teams with 2 players not meeting the teams expectations.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678009 is a reply to message #678007 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 06 October 2016 14:50

I wonder if the Oilers could make a trade yak for a guy like Mark McNeil. He's been with the Hawks for awhile. Big, decent skating, right shot center that scores and plays with an edge. Has decent numbers in the AHL but never seems to make the Hawks. For whatever reason doesn't seem to Quenville Oilers don't have a lot of skilled center depth, especially right handed. Might take a bit more than just yak and they might have to hold back salary. But maybe there is a match of 2 teams with 2 players not meeting the teams expectations.

I don't think it would take more than Yakupov to be honest. McNeill has to clear waivers this year. For the Hawks it's either, he's on the roster this year or he's claimed on waivers. They aren't really in a position of strength if they are looking to move him.

It's weird, because the vibe from the fans in Chicago is that they are looking for cheap forwards and cheap scoring depth. Most of them would like to see the kids they have get a chance rather than deal outside the organization... and McNeill with his AHL numbers certainly would seem to fit that description of cheap, young forward. In some ways, it's a little alarming if the Hawks don't feel he is ready or if he doesn't really have a spot with that club; the question one needs to ask is, "why not?" But that said, I've been a fan of McNeill since his draft day, and if he lives up to his potential, he could be a nice play in that 3C if they wanted to play Draisaitl on 2RW (still worry about a rookie in that spot, but at least he wouldn't be a first year pro and he isn't a small, thin player).

Let's put it this way: the idea of this deal doesn't thrill me, but I'd much rather a NHL-ready roster player like McNeill or Pokka than draft picks. The picks don't make the club better; an NHL-ready player could potentially fill some holes... especially if McLellan is hellbent on taking Leon away from his centre position.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678010 is a reply to message #678009 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 06 October 2016 14:56

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 06 October 2016 14:50

I don't think it would take more than Yakupov to be honest. McNeill has to clear waivers this year. For the Hawks it's either, he's on the roster this year or he's claimed on waivers. They aren't really in a position of strength if they are looking to move him.

It's weird, because the vibe from the fans in Chicago is that they are looking for cheap forwards and cheap scoring depth. Most of them would like to see the kids they have get a chance rather than deal outside the organization... and McNeill with his AHL numbers certainly would seem to fit that description of cheap, young forward. In some ways, it's a little alarming if the Hawks don't feel he is ready or if he doesn't really have a spot with that club; the question one needs to ask is, "why not?" But that said, I've been a fan of McNeill since his draft day, and if he lives up to his potential, he could be a nice play in that 3C if they wanted to play Draisaitl on 2RW (still worry about a rookie in that spot, but at least he wouldn't be a first year pro and he isn't a small, thin player).

Let's put it this way: the idea of this deal doesn't thrill me, but I'd much rather a NHL-ready roster player like McNeill or Pokka than draft picks. The picks don't make the club better; an NHL-ready player could potentially fill some holes... especially if McLellan is hellbent on taking Leon away from his centre position.

I like the idea of a live body that might actually help your team vs a mid round draft pick that is 5+ years away if they even make it to the NHL which isn't known. I don't know what the issue with MCNeil is. Maybe it's just he doesn't fit. No different than Yak who for whatever reason didn't work out.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678011 is a reply to message #678010 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Prediction, Yak goes to Chicago, Chicago wins Stanley Cup.

It's the Oilers' Shawshank curse.

Justin Schultz says "Hi!" (from the White House)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61286957/Oilers/SchultzWhiteHouse.jpg

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678015 is a reply to message #678011 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 06 October 2016 15:18

Prediction, Yak goes to Chicago, Chicago wins Stanley Cup.

It's the Oilers' Shawshank curse.

Justin Schultz says "Hi!" (from the White House)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61286957/Oilers/SchultzWhiteHouse.jpg

Well, I find comfort in that Justin Schultz wasn't the catalyst that suddenly put Pittsburgh over the top. At no point did I look at Justin Schultz hoisting the Cup and lament that one got away on us. Same with Yak, if he goes elsewhere, I'm more interested in the Oilers being better as the result of his trade. Like Schultz, they're not going to be worse with him outta here.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678094 is a reply to message #678005 ]
Fri, 07 October 2016 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Thu, 06 October 2016 14:37

Big deals like that don't happen anymore. Esp this time of year. If Yak is dealt before Oct 12 the net gain will be his absence.

I agree they have never really happened this close to the start of the season before, but wit Cap Space being "The Premium" over real hockey trades now I see this time of year becoming a time when 1-2 medium to larger trade will actually occur.

Tampa & Anaheim are in crucial cap crunches with high end RFA's that need to be signed for big $$$. They need to trade away large cap space (Minimum $3-$4 million in each case) to get these RFA's signed to deals. How does that happen? Well, you trade away guys like Fowler in Anaheim or Filppula/Bishop in Tampa. So these trades will happen in some way shape or form & this time of the year will become bigger & bigger for trades as long as the cap stays relatively stagnant (less than 5% increases).

You can mark it down that T-Bay & the Ducks will make big trades in the next week because they are in a cap crunch & need to sign their RFA's. What they trade away & for what is anyone's guess. That is what makes this fun as a fan of the Oilers who have a specific need & a decent amount of cap space to leverage as over other teams in trade talks.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678014 is a reply to message #677999 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Jakey wrote on Thu, 06 October 2016 13:00

Quote:

@TSNBobMcKenzie

That's impressive. Do it.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678033 is a reply to message #677982 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Doubt its McNeil, as has been said here already, McNeil has to clear waivers, and its questionable he'll make Chicago's roster, Oilers could get him for free.
The way injuries happen in this league and wuith this team, might need Yak for a while longer. I think Yak needs to be on a team with more veteran leadership to break his stubborness, Yak still thinks he's not getting treated fairly, and all he has to do is be the Yak-man, do what he did successfully in junior, IMHO he needs veteran peer pressure he can't help but be respectful of, either on the Oilers or elsewhere. Hasn't had it with the Oilers, until now with Lucic, maybe Versteeg. If he went to Chicago, I suspect between Quennville, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, his bad habits would be broken pretty quickly, and you might have an NHL player.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner, Petrovic = Nathan Legare

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678037 is a reply to message #678033 ]
Thu, 06 October 2016 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

If a Yakupov trade happens, I hope oilers fans are mature enough to handle. There is always going to be a chance that Yak will go on to a team and do well. Schultz went to the Pens, won the lottery and got a cup. Didn't little to help the, but he won good for him.

The point is, Schultz wasn't working in Edmonton. I doubt he would ever work in Edmonton. Yakupov isn't working in Edmonton. Blame whatever you want, he's not working in Edmonton. So the choice is hang on to him, have him continue to most likely not work in Edmonton which hurts your team or move on from him.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678097 is a reply to message #678037 ]
Fri, 07 October 2016 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b_1_b  is currently offline b_1_b

No Cups

RD this must be your dream thread...You can dump all over Yak and still maintain you are on topic. deadhorse

Anyhow, unless they get back a return that makes the team better they should be hanging on to Yak until a point where a logical move makes sense. Drake gets healthy or JP progresses from the AHL etc. Until then Yak is performing for what he is earning in my opinion at a 2nd or 3rd RW in this league.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678098 is a reply to message #678097 ]
Fri, 07 October 2016 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

b_1_b wrote on Fri, 07 October 2016 11:41

Anyhow, unless they get back a return that makes the team better they should be hanging on to Yak until a point where a logical move makes sense. Drake gets healthy or JP progresses from the AHL etc. Until then Yak is performing for what he is earning in my opinion at a 2nd or 3rd RW in this league.

This is also a concern for me. Right now there are injuries. At almost any point in the year there will be injuries.

So opening night we're looking at:

Lucic / McDavid / Eberle
Pouliot / Nugent-Hopkins / _______
Maroon / Draisaitl / ________
Pitlick / Letestu / Kassian

Slepyshev, Lander

Maybe Caggiula is back, though Stauffer was speculating "weeks" last night; haven't heard anything definitive this morning. But unless they grab something off the waiver wire, they HAVE to play Draisaitl at 3C. They don't have another option in the system.

So we're back to Versteeg, Yakupov, and Puljujarvi for the 2RW / 3RW position. I think most of us agree that it would be a good move to sign Versteeg and play him in one of those spots (however, right now he is actually hurt, and may or may not be ready for opening night).

It's painfully obvious that Puljujarvi, while a heck of a prospect, would benefit from time in the AHL. Do the Oilers completely ignore this and force him into the lineup, repeating a cycle of putting high draft picks in positions that they are not ready for? With the current Yakupov situation, they should be using it as a cautionary tale rather than a reason to put Puljujarvi in there.

So really, with Hendricks and Caggiula out, the best options are Yakupov and Versteeg. If Versteeg is out, we're already looking at Slepyshev or Lander, and both are considerable dropoffs; Lander has proven he doesn't belong, and Slepyshev hasn't proven anything at all yet.

I think it's one thing if you are getting an NHL player back for Yakpuov, someone who can step into the lineup and contribute. But if you aren't... I don't see how it leaves the club better off. You take Yakupov out of the lineup for a fringe prospect or middling draft pick, and you replace him with Lander, and that's a net loss for the club and does nothing to help them win.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678104 is a reply to message #678098 ]
Fri, 07 October 2016 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 07 October 2016 11:56

This is also a concern for me. Right now there are injuries. At almost any point in the year there will be injuries.

Lucic / McDavid / Eberle

Slepyshev, Lander

Maybe Caggiula is back, though Stauffer was speculating "weeks" last night; haven't heard anything definitive this morning. But unless they grab something off the waiver wire, they HAVE to play Draisaitl at 3C. They don't have another option in the system.

So we're back to Versteeg, Yakupov, and Puljujarvi for the 2RW / 3RW position. I think most of us agree that it would be a good move to sign Versteeg and play him in one of those spots (however, right now he is actually hurt, and may or may not be ready for opening night).

It's painfully obvious that Puljujarvi, while a heck of a prospect, would benefit from time in the AHL. Do the Oilers completely ignore this and force him into the lineup, repeating a cycle of putting high draft picks in positions that they are not ready for? With the current Yakupov situation, they should be using it as a cautionary tale rather than a reason to put Puljujarvi in there.

So really, with Hendricks and Caggiula out, the best options are Yakupov and Versteeg. If Versteeg is out, we're already looking at Slepyshev or Lander, and both are considerable dropoffs; Lander has proven he doesn't belong, and Slepyshev hasn't proven anything at all yet.

I think it's one thing if you are getting an NHL player back for Yakpuov, someone who can step into the lineup and contribute. But if you aren't... I don't see how it leaves the club better off. You take Yakupov out of the lineup for a fringe prospect or middling draft pick, and you replace him with Lander, and that's a net loss for the club and does nothing to help them win.

I thought I heard that other prospects like Khaira were involved. What if a potential trade is for a 3rd line center? I really think they want Draisaitl on the wing. If they get a passable 3rd line center, Drai on the wing on teh 2nd line, all of a sudden things look pretty good.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678105 is a reply to message #678104 ]
Fri, 07 October 2016 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 07 October 2016 13:02

Lucic / McDavid / Eberle

Slepyshev, Lander

I thought I heard that other prospects like Khaira were involved. What if a potential trade is for a 3rd line center? I really think they want Draisaitl on the wing. If they get a passable 3rd line center, Drai on the wing on teh 2nd line, all of a sudden things look pretty good.

At that point, I think you can at least consider it. There needs to be an NHL player coming back in return though. The Pokka and/or McNeil scenerios out of Chicago make some sense.

Before he signed in the KHL, I thought a Yakupov / Nichushkin trade made a ton of sense.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678115 is a reply to message #678105 ]
Fri, 07 October 2016 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 07 October 2016 13:23

Lucic / McDavid / Eberle

Slepyshev, Lander

At that point, I think you can at least consider it. There needs to be an NHL player coming back in return though. The Pokka and/or McNeil scenerios out of Chicago make some sense.

Before he signed in the KHL, I thought a Yakupov / Nichushkin trade made a ton of sense.

So did I. I thought the changing of 2 guys who hadn't lived up to expectations needing a fresh start made sense.

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678117 is a reply to message #678105 ]
Fri, 07 October 2016 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Lucic / McDavid / Eberle

Slepyshev, Lander

If there was a healthy option to Yakupov, I'd still look at that if I thought we could get Nichushkin back over here at some point.

I think that you're right though...with the injuries and question marks that we have, it becomes very difficult to send Yakupov out unless we're getting someone back who can be relied upon to put up equivalent numbers at the NHL level now.

Personally, I hope the Oilers aren't in any rush to part ways with Yakupov. I don't see any reason to hurry, because I doubt he's going to get much less valuable than he is now, and I don't think it hurts the team to have him around. If he can get on a roll, then his value could increase, and then there's a choice as to whether you need to deal him or not. His current production is in line with his salary, so even if he's just a 25-35 point player, that's okay.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Yak to Chicago? [message #678119 is a reply to message #678117 ]
Fri, 07 October 2016 16:54 Go to previous message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 07 October 2016 16:28

Lucic / McDavid / Eberle

Slepyshev, Lander

If there was a healthy option to Yakupov, I'd still look at that if I thought we could get Nichushkin back over here at some point.

I think that you're right though...with the injuries and question marks that we have, it becomes very difficult to send Yakupov out unless we're getting someone back who can be relied upon to put up equivalent numbers at the NHL level now.

Personally, I hope the Oilers aren't in any rush to part ways with Yakupov. I don't see any reason to hurry, because I doubt he's going to get much less valuable than he is now, and I don't think it hurts the team to have him around. If he can get on a roll, then his value could increase, and then there's a choice as to whether you need to deal him or not. His current production is in line with his salary, so even if he's just a 25-35 point player, that's okay.

One question I have which is one I don't know the answer too. We can all say it would be nice if Yakupov could have some success and maybe increase his value, we can all talk about how it would be nice to have the extra depth but what does keeping Yakupov do to the team dressing room wise?

I ask this because the Oilers have a young player who clearly isn't happy. He apparently asked for a trade last winter before the deadline. He had his agent come over from Russia to complain on various radio stations on live radio shows in Edmonton and I think on other stations how unfair Yakupov was being treated. Larionov complained about Yak's role. He complained about is linemates, he complained about ice time and how he wasn't getting enough. Then he blamed all of the lack of Yak's success on the team and what I just described. This wasn't Larionov in Russia in front of Russian reports spouting off, then claiming what he meant was lost in translation. Larionov came on Gregor's show AND Stauffer's show, a show which is paid for by the Oilers and in perfect English said all of this.

If Yakupov is in the line up, guess where he plays? On the 3rd line, not with McDavid, not playing 17+ mins a night like his agent said he needs and not on the first unit PP. So his role which he didn't like hasn't change. His ice time which he didn't like won't change. His line mates will be better than last year but he's still not with the Oilers best players like he thinks he should be. Add on to that, the fact that he knows his coach isn't thrilled with him and doesn't trust him because he says he doesn't many times. The GM who's been trying to trade you for close to 8 months has come out and said many times he tried to trade him but Yak isn't worth anything. I am sure they had a real, honest, no BS meeting at the end of the year. Probably had one at the start of this season. I am not hating on Yakupov, I actually like Yak the as a person and want him to do well, I am just stating what's currently going on with the player. At this point, I honestly don't care what happens, I just want this situation resolved one way or the other.

But in saying all of that, the Oilers have a player who wasn't happy last year and it showed. I can't imagine he was happy in the offseason as he waited to be dealt. Now he hasn't been traded, he walks into a similar situation that made him unhappy in the first place so I can't imagine he will be too happy now or going forward. I actually was expecting Yakupov to have a hell of a camp, partly for himself, partly to prove his coaches and GM wrong and mostly to improve his stock so he can get out of Edmonton like he wants. It hasn't happened. He hasn't had a terrible camp but if he was in say Pitlick's situation, he probably wouldn't make the team. The Oilers badly need to have a good start so I just hope it doesn't affect the room if this drags on.

Previous Topic:Horcoff on PTO?
Next Topic:EA NHL 17 season simulation
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca