Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Trouba requests tradePages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Trouba requests trade [message #677276]
Sat, 24 September 2016 22:37 Go to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

http://www.tsn.ca/agent-trouba-requests-trade-from-jets-1.57 3171

So, would he help us now or would he be a future piece on the right side?

He's a top 4, or played top three minutes in Winnipeg. Young, gritty and has a good ceiling that he hasn't hit yet unless I've read wrong.

Does Yak get it done with some picks Simpson and Caleb Jones? I really am a poor judge of value with trade proposals.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677277 is a reply to message #677276 ]
Sat, 24 September 2016 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

jerekybeef wrote on Sat, 24 September 2016 21:37

He's a top 4, or played top three minutes in Winnipeg. Young, gritty and has a good ceiling that he hasn't hit yet unless I've read wrong.

Does Yak get it done with some picks Simpson and Caleb Jones? I really am a poor judge of value with trade proposals.

They have a log jam on RD with Byfuglien and Meyers, which is Trouba's reason for the trade request, he wants to play top 4, Jets might just move Meyers instead.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677286 is a reply to message #677276 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

jerekybeef wrote on Sat, 24 September 2016 22:37

No way in hell Yak + spare parts gets you Trouba. Jets ask would be Nurse + I would imagine.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677287 is a reply to message #677276 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RankinSpankin  is currently offline RankinSpankin

No Cups

Nurse/Klefbom + Yak?

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677288 is a reply to message #677287 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

RankinSpankin wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 11:06

Nurse/Klefbom + Yak?

I think trading Klefbom would really piss off Adam Larsson who is looking to play with his countryman.

If Sekera didn't have a no trade clause, perhaps sending him to Winnipeg & a roster forward for Tyler Myers would address the need for another right handed shot.

Would obviously prefer Trouba, but reluctant if Nurse is the starting point of discussions...

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677347 is a reply to message #677287 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

RankinSpankin wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 10:06

Nurse/Klefbom + Yak?

IMO, I think Nurse + Yakupov is likely, though I might see if I can move another prospect in place of Yakupov.

Yakupov is they guy I'm dangling to Las Vegas to keep the other guys I don't want to lose.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677290 is a reply to message #677276 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

I'm a big nurse fan but a Trouba for Nurse deal makes the playoffs a real goal for this year. There may be a bit of a downgrade in 2-3 years but not a huge gap. This is a deal that could make sense for both teams a winnipeg will get some cap savings plus a guy that would slot perfectly where they need him and still with lot of upside. This would make our d very strong down the r side and give us a legit NHL top 6.

I love Nurses potential, passion and physical attributes but this swap would male us a legit top 8 contender in the west which is why winnipeg prob wouldn't make the trade as it puts us closer to pushing them down the pecking order.

I've been a no way to trading nurse guy but id do it even if we had to add to it.

Renaissance 2015

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677291 is a reply to message #677276 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

How is Troubas puck moving skill?

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677292 is a reply to message #677291 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

The fact that people are split on the Nurse for Trouba proposal is probably a good indication that it's a fair trade for both sides.

Heh, Jets fans saying they'd "consider" Nurse PLUS Nuge for Trouba. rofl

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2016 11:30]

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677300 is a reply to message #677292 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 11:18

The fact that people are split on the Nurse for Trouba proposal is probably a good indication that it's a fair trade for both sides.

Heh, Jets fans saying they'd "consider" Nurse PLUS Nuge for Trouba. rofl

That is ridiculous if you have a good understanding of the Nuge, but on a points basis, without know much, you'r basically looking at defensive prospect and a second line centre, for a second to first line right handed d-man, with good upside.

I wouldn't make that trade, but it might be reasonable from different perspectives.

I'd think that you'd have to do Nurse + the 2017 1st for Trouba.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677298 is a reply to message #677276 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Another thing not talked about is...Nurse would definitely get more playing time in Winnipeg as well. It'd suck for him in another sense as he'd be leaving a team with more overall potential in a weaker division, but he'd have a chance to play his way into bigger contracts with the Jets.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677301 is a reply to message #677298 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 14:08

Another thing not talked about is...Nurse would definitely get more playing time in Winnipeg as well. It'd suck for him in another sense as he'd be leaving a team with more overall potential in a weaker division, but he'd have a chance to play his way into bigger contracts with the Jets.

If Nurse reaches his projected potential, him and Buff would own the NHL.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677302 is a reply to message #677276 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Ya Chiarelli has a chance to make two stupid trades this year, wouldn't be surprised if he went full retard.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677307 is a reply to message #677302 ]
Sun, 25 September 2016 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

Trouba & Lowry for Davidson, Yakupov, Caggulia & our 1st (lottery protected) & 3rd Rd picks

Something like that would be fair IMO, plus we are one of the few teams that would be inquiring that have decent cap space to sign Trouba.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677323 is a reply to message #677307 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Trading Klefbom makes zero sense for the Oilers in that they would be strengthening the right side just to extremely weaken the left. The Oilers have been working on a top pairing for a long time. They have one in Klefbom and Larsson. Both are young, big, skate well, move the puck, I believe there is points, defend well, can play big mins, both are signed long term AND maybe the biggest thing, they are both CHEAP. At just over 4 mill, just over 8 mill for a pair, that is dirt cheap for a pair that will be giving you quality 23-24 mins at least.

In my opinion, I see Klefbom has having a lot more value in Trouba. I say this because in age and ability they are very close but the kicker is Klefbom's contract. IN a cap world, that adds a lot of value.

I wonder if Davidson and a sweetener gets it done? I don't see the Oilers trading Klefbom, the way the coach and management talk about him, he sounds way too critical to them. I don't know if Nurse would classify as being enough just given his lack of experience. I say Davidson because he according to the stats guys, he's a god. He has limited NHL experience but he had a lot of AHL as he took time to develop. Last season he looked like a legit really good, second pairing guy. Plus he's cheap. Plus supposedly there is a ton of people in the NHL that like him. I might be dreaming but I just don't see the Jets getting a guy where you go "Oh wow". Klefbom to me would be an "OH wow".

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677329 is a reply to message #677323 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 08:24

Trading Klefbom makes zero sense for the Oilers in that they would be strengthening the right side just to extremely weaken the left.

The thing is Klefbom as yet to play a full season. So I still see him as potential. He has yet to show he can maintain a high level of play for an entire season and stay healthy. Once that happens, his value will go way up.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677334 is a reply to message #677329 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 08:52

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 08:24

Trading Klefbom makes zero sense for the Oilers in that they would be strengthening the right side just to extremely weaken the left.

The thing is Klefbom as yet to play a full season. So I still see him as potential. He has yet to show he can maintain a high level of play for an entire season and stay healthy. Once that happens, his value will go way up.

Very true but if he gets traded, Sekera is your top pairing, left shot dman. I like Sekera, I thought he was good last year but I know what he is. Sekera is a very solid, second paring dman. If he is in your top pairing, you defense is weak. While I agree with you that not playing a full season is concerning to a degree but if his injuries were a consistent bad shoulder or knee, that's one thing. Last season, he broke a knuckle on his hand because an opposing player was falling, and his skate came up and kicked him in the hand. Total fluke. Then he got a staph infection. Another fluke. I chalk up those injuries to the curse Chris Pronger and Rexall. If you go back and think about all the strange injuries in the that building, thank god they are out of it.

Back to Klefbom the player. I think this guy is a legit top pairing guy. I say this because he was playing really well last season on the Oilers top pairing with Justin Schultz beside him. If you can play even reasonably well playing over 20+ mins a night with Schultz on your right side, you must be good. As soon as Schultz was traded to the Pens, he dropped down to the 3rd pairing playing at times less than 10 mins a night.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677403 is a reply to message #677302 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 25 September 2016 15:53

Ya Chiarelli has a chance to make two stupid trades this year, wouldn't be surprised if he went full retard.

icon_thumbsup Like

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677320 is a reply to message #677276 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

I'm not sure which Trouba thread will be the right one to post in, but since we're dealing with the speculated cost, I'll pick here.

I'm in the position of knowing both Jets and Oilers rosters very well and have a pretty good understanding of what's needed on either side. I'll talk about the Jets side as everyone here knows what the Oilers situation is. Trouba has played on the 3rd pairing for three years save for about a 3rd of last season where they flipped him to the left side to play with Buff. He played very well there, but obviously he wants no part of switching sides, this is where the trade request comes from. It's definitely not about money as the comparable contracts are out there and to find his place amongst them is easy, (Rielly, Maatta, Jones, Murray, Klingberg, etc).

From the needs side of things on the Jets roster, they don't need much. What they need is a left handed defenseman who ideally would be expansion exempt. They have Buff, Enstrom and Myers that will be protected, Trouba would make four meaning they'll be losing a pretty good forward. If the return for Trouba is an exempt defenseman, they will be able to protect 3 more of their promising forwards. (Lowry, Burmistrov, Dano, Copp, Armia). The Jets definitely don't need another forward to add to this group so trades including Yakupov, Pouliot, Maroon or Eberle or anyone like that don't make sense. Truly, the Jets are actually pretty loaded up front with the Laine lottery win and Kyle Connor coming in this year, add them to Scheifele, Wheeler, Little, Ehlers, Perreault, Stafford and they've already got a few tough decisions to make up front.

So any discussion of Trouba to the Oilers must center around Nurse, it's the only option. Here's the kicker though, the Jets don't HAVE to do anything. They have a controlled asset that is pitching a fit, they don't owe him anything. As they did with Evander Kane, they'll wait this out until they get what they want. If Chevy has told Chia that the trade starts with Nurse and Chia has balked, the Jets won't cave in my opinion, so it could be dead in the water.

One thing that could happen is if the Oilers are interested in Drew Stafford, that might open the door for a bigger discussion. Trouba + Stafford might be something the Jets would be open to if the Oilers want/need to include a forward. Stafford is a little redundant with the kids coming up, but he only has one year left on his deal, so not an ideal "rental" for the Oilers. I still don't think that works for that reason, but it's an option.

I wonder if the best option for the Jets and Trouba is a deal with Anaheim for Hampus Lindholm. He's a left had shot that the Ducks can't sign right now, if they swap those two for each other, maybe they get signed easier by their new teams. This would still shake lose Cam Fowler however, so the Oilers could then pursue him harder.

Just some thoughts from Winnipeg on this one...I'm a little gutted as a Jets fan, but Trouba is a great player and I'd love him to end up in Edmonton.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677325 is a reply to message #677320 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 08:13

I'm not sure which Trouba thread will be the right one to post in, but since we're dealing with the speculated cost, I'll pick here.

I'm in the position of knowing both Jets and Oilers rosters very well and have a pretty good understanding of what's needed on either side. I'll talk about the Jets side as everyone here knows what the Oilers situation is. Trouba has played on the 3rd pairing for three years save for about a 3rd of last season where they flipped him to the left side to play with Buff. He played very well there, but obviously he wants no part of switching sides, this is where the trade request comes from. It's definitely not about money as the comparable contracts are out there and to find his place amongst them is easy, (Rielly, Maatta, Jones, Murray, Klingberg, etc).

From the needs side of things on the Jets roster, they don't need much. What they need is a left handed defenseman who ideally would be expansion exempt. They have Buff, Enstrom and Myers that will be protected, Trouba would make four meaning they'll be losing a pretty good forward. If the return for Trouba is an exempt defenseman, they will be able to protect 3 more of their promising forwards. (Lowry, Burmistrov, Dano, Copp, Armia). The Jets definitely don't need another forward to add to this group so trades including Yakupov, Pouliot, Maroon or Eberle or anyone like that don't make sense. Truly, the Jets are actually pretty loaded up front with the Laine lottery win and Kyle Connor coming in this year, add them to Scheifele, Wheeler, Little, Ehlers, Perreault, Stafford and they've already got a few tough decisions to make up front.

So any discussion of Trouba to the Oilers must center around Nurse, it's the only option. Here's the kicker though, the Jets don't HAVE to do anything. They have a controlled asset that is pitching a fit, they don't owe him anything. As they did with Evander Kane, they'll wait this out until they get what they want. If Chevy has told Chia that the trade starts with Nurse and Chia has balked, the Jets won't cave in my opinion, so it could be dead in the water.

One thing that could happen is if the Oilers are interested in Drew Stafford, that might open the door for a bigger discussion. Trouba + Stafford might be something the Jets would be open to if the Oilers want/need to include a forward. Stafford is a little redundant with the kids coming up, but he only has one year left on his deal, so not an ideal "rental" for the Oilers. I still don't think that works for that reason, but it's an option.

I wonder if the best option for the Jets and Trouba is a deal with Anaheim for Hampus Lindholm. He's a left had shot that the Ducks can't sign right now, if they swap those two for each other, maybe they get signed easier by their new teams. This would still shake lose Cam Fowler however, so the Oilers could then pursue him harder.

Just some thoughts from Winnipeg on this one...I'm a little gutted as a Jets fan, but Trouba is a great player and I'd love him to end up in Edmonton.

Normally as a fan when I hear a player wants a trade I roll my eyes and shake my head. With Trouba, I don't because a big part of the reason he wants out is he's not able to play on his proper side. Of course money plays a small part because if the Jets gave him a ridiculous deal, all of a sudden playing the left isn't a big deal. But I don't blame him for not wanting to play on your proper side. When you are a pro athlete, fans will scrutinize everything you you. When you make millions, it amps up. When you are in a Canadian City playing basically their national sport, it amps up even more. Then when you are in a smaller Canadian market, it amps up even more. SO if I was him, I would want to play my better side so I have the best chance to succeed.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677348 is a reply to message #677320 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 08:13

Both those hypothetical situations make a lot of sense to me.

Drew Stafford has been linked to the Oilers forever (probably thanks mostly to Jim Matheson), but I don't know if they'd dismiss out of hand a deal for him with only one year on his contract. In fact, if you can have a verbal agreement in place but don't put it on paper, you wouldn't have to protect him next June at the expansion draft.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677345 is a reply to message #677276 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

A few things:

- First, I'm pretty big on Darnell Nurse. I wanted the Oilers to draft him, and have been happy ever since they did. While I think some AHL time is probably best for him, I think he's a heck of a prospect who will have a long and successful NHL career. I'm not sure if it's top-pairing potential, but I'm not sure it isn't either. Despite some shaky analytics and some shade thrown from that community, he's a 21-year-old who is developing well and doesn't show any signs that he won't be an NHLer for years to come.

- That said, Nurse is not 'core' in the way that McDavid is. McDavid is in a category of his own. Next tier down would be guys like Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Lucic, Larsson, perhaps Klefbom. He's not someone you look to move, but if he can improve your club, you listen to proposals. Right now, he has added valued because he is expansion exempt.

- I'm not worried about the Las Vegas expansion draft. The Oilers are actually in a good place, because we have two really good young forwards that don't require protection (McDavid, Puljujarvi). If you protect four forwards (Eberle, RNH, Draisaitl, Lucic), and you protect for defensemen (Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, and let's say Trouba), you are looking at one of Davidson, Yakupov, or Pouliot being claimed. Of the three, Davidson would be the worst to lose; perhaps you throw LV a sweetener and say that you'll compensate them a pick if they leave Davidson alone. But either way, none of those guys will gut your team; they are valuable role players, but can be replaced. Personally, I think Yakupov is the most likely to be claimed anyone, because there will be a lot of defensemen available, and Yakupov has some offensive flair which could be helpful in selling the game. Plus, George McPhee loves his Russians.

- I don't think Winnipeg moves Trouba without Nurse coming as the major piece back. They will want a way to a) get a young defenseman in return, b) not take on a bunch of extra salary, and c) find a way to protect as many of their own defensemen as possible (here's where Nurse's expansion exemption proves valuable). Nurse fills both, and the Jets could actually use a LHD more than another RHD.

- Personally, I would move Nurse for Trouba. I think the ceiling for both is pretty similar, they are similar in age, and they have a similar meanness... the difference is really that Trouba is closer to reaching that ceiling, and has had some proven offensive success in this league. He's a surer bet, among two really good bets. The fact that he is a RHD is definitely a factor too.

- A top four of Klefbom / Larsson and Sekera / Trouba with Davidson ready to fill is if there is injuries... that finally looks like a legitimate, good NHL defense group. It's balanced. It's got guys who can play both ends of the ice, against good competition, and can advance the puck. With that group, I actually have some confidence that the playoffs is no longer a fantasy, but an attainable goal.

Contrast that with a Top-four of Klefbom / Larsson and Sekera / Davidson, with Nurse ready to fill in during injuries, and I think there are lot more questions. It's unbalanced; there isn't enough offense or ability to move the puck; there's questions around the maturity level of Nurse and if Davidson can replicate his success in year two that he had in year one (I think he can). I don't actually think this group is the right mix that will challenge for the playoffs. It's kind of a group thrown together, all decent players, but certainly missing some elements.

In summary, I like Darnell Nurse, but would move him for Jacob Trouba, who is exactly what the Oilers need right now and in years to come. Chiarelli has one more chance to get this defensive group ready and capable of challenging in 2016/2017.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2016 10:53]

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677350 is a reply to message #677345 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 10:49

A few things:

- First, I'm pretty big on Darnell Nurse. I wanted the Oilers to draft him, and have been happy ever since they did. While I think some AHL time is probably best for him, I think he's a heck of a prospect who will have a long and successful NHL career. I'm not sure if it's top-pairing potential, but I'm not sure it isn't either. Despite some shaky analytics and some shade thrown from that community, he's a 21-year-old who is developing well and doesn't show any signs that he won't be an NHLer for years to come.

- That said, Nurse is not 'core' in the way that McDavid is. McDavid is in a category of his own. Next tier down would be guys like Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Lucic, Larsson, perhaps Klefbom. He's not someone you look to move, but if he can improve your club, you listen to proposals. Right now, he has added valued because he is expansion exempt.

- I'm not worried about the Las Vegas expansion draft. The Oilers are actually in a good place, because we have two really good young forwards that don't require protection (McDavid, Puljujarvi). If you protect four forwards (Eberle, RNH, Draisaitl, Lucic), and you protect for defensemen (Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, and let's say Trouba), you are looking at one of Davidson, Yakupov, or Pouliot being claimed. Of the three, Davidson would be the worst to lose; perhaps you throw LV a sweetener and say that you'll compensate them a pick if they leave Davidson alone. But either way, none of those guys will gut your team; they are valuable role players, but can be replaced. Personally, I think Yakupov is the most likely to be claimed anyone, because there will be a lot of defensemen available, and Yakupov has some offensive flair which could be helpful in selling the game. Plus, George McPhee loves his Russians.

- I don't think Winnipeg moves Trouba without Nurse coming as the major piece back. They will want a way to a) get a young defenseman in return, b) not take on a bunch of extra salary, and c) find a way to protect as many of their own defensemen as possible (here's where Nurse's expansion exemption proves valuable). Nurse fills both, and the Jets could actually use a LHD more than another RHD.

- Personally, I would move Nurse for Trouba. I think the ceiling for both is pretty similar, they are similar in age, and they have a similar meanness... the difference is really that Trouba is closer to reaching that ceiling, and has had some proven offensive success in this league. He's a surer bet, among two really good bets. The fact that he is a RHD is definitely a factor too.

- A top four of Klefbom / Larsson and Sekera / Trouba with Davidson ready to fill is if there is injuries... that finally looks like a legitimate, good NHL defense group. It's balanced. It's got guys who can play both ends of the ice, against good competition, and can advance the puck. With that group, I actually have some confidence that the playoffs is no longer a fantasy, but an attainable goal.

Contrast that with a Top-four of Klefbom / Larsson and Sekera / Davidson, with Nurse ready to fill in during injuries, and I think there are lot more questions. It's unbalanced; there isn't enough offense or ability to move the puck; there's questions around the maturity level of Nurse and if Davidson can replicate his success in year two that he had in year one (I think he can). I don't actually think this group is the right mix that will challenge for the playoffs. It's kind of a group thrown together, all decent players, but certainly missing some elements.

In summary, I like Darnell Nurse, but would move him for Jacob Trouba, who is exactly what the Oilers need right now and in years to come. Chiarelli has one more chance to get this defensive group ready and capable of challenging in 2016/2017.

I agree with that you said. The people worrying about the expansion draft need to give their head a shake. While as an organization its important to have the expansion draft in the back of your mind, if you have a chance to improve your team, you take it. There are sooooo many factors that are out of your control from now until the draft. Vets who you are counting on could fall off, rookies or AHLers who you weren't expecting could rise up. The same could be said for other teams. The Oilers don't know who other teams will make available. If you are worried about losing Davidson, their could be WAY better guys available. At the end of the day, you are losing 1 guy. If the future of your team hinges on one guy that you decided not to protect, you got troubles.

While it would hurt a lot to lose Nurse, I would do it. I like you see Trouba and Nurse as similar paths. I don't see both of them as top pairing guys but really good second pairing guys. I just wonder if Nurse is far enough along for the Jets. I think the dream scenario would be Davidson but I doubt that would happen.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677353 is a reply to message #677350 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Man - how unfun would playing against a pairing of Nurse-Byfuglien be?

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677375 is a reply to message #677350 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 11:04

I agree with that you said. The people worrying about the expansion draft need to give their head a shake. While as an organization its important to have the expansion draft in the back of your mind, if you have a chance to improve your team, you take it. There are sooooo many factors that are out of your control from now until the draft. Vets who you are counting on could fall off, rookies or AHLers who you weren't expecting could rise up. The same could be said for other teams. The Oilers don't know who other teams will make available. If you are worried about losing Davidson, their could be WAY better guys available. At the end of the day, you are losing 1 guy. If the future of your team hinges on one guy that you decided not to protect, you got troubles.

While it would hurt a lot to lose Nurse, I would do it. I like you see Trouba and Nurse as similar paths. I don't see both of them as top pairing guys but really good second pairing guys. I just wonder if Nurse is far enough along for the Jets. I think the dream scenario would be Davidson but I doubt that would happen.

I shook my head and still think that in a trade where you have our best defensive prospect going out the door( who doesnt need to be protected) and a player coming in with a soon to be high price tag and needs to be protected it has to be high on your consideration in the trade, and not just in the back of your head.

Yes, "There are sooooo many factors that are out of your control from now until the draft" but a good GM has to do two things;
- make the best of the ones he can control
- use all the information he has to mitigate risk for factors he cant control.

I would not hate the trade today, in fact I would love it, but I think in two years when we face Buff and Nurse trying to kill our forwards, and we have lost 2 more good pieces to cap dumps, and likely one useful one to expansion, we will look back and hate it.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677384 is a reply to message #677375 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 14:30

I shook my head and still think that in a trade where you have our best defensive prospect going out the door( who doesnt need to be protected) and a player coming in with a soon to be high price tag and needs to be protected it has to be high on your consideration in the trade, and not just in the back of your head.

Yes, "There are sooooo many factors that are out of your control from now until the draft" but a good GM has to do two things;

I would not hate the trade today, in fact I would love it, but I think in two years when we face Buff and Nurse trying to kill our forwards, and we have lost 2 more good pieces to cap dumps, and likely one useful one to expansion, we will look back and hate it.

So what is the fear, the Oilers might lose Davidson? Let's pretend the ask is Nurse for Trouba. So now your top 4 is:
Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Trouba

The Oilers would protect all 4 and have a legit, very good top 4. 3/4 are young, all skate well, all move the puck pretty well. All have size. All defend fairly well. All can move the puck reasonably well. There is potential for offense from Klefbom and Trouba and you have the right left balance you want.

So now you have Davidson sitting there unprotected. Assuming there is no one better than him made available in the expansion draft, the Oilers might lose their 3rd pairing, left shot dman. So I am freaking out about that because......?

I am just curious because the Oilers will lose 1 player. The player they will lose is either most likely a guy that is on their 3rd line - Yak, Maroon, Pouliot- or a dman that is probably in their 3rd pairing - Davidson, Reinhart, Fayne. So if you have the opportunity to get a player like Trouba who for sure is a top 4 guy and is a right shot, I don't see what the big deal is if Davidson is gone.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2016 16:00]

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677390 is a reply to message #677384 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 15:47

So what is the fear, the Oilers might lose Davidson? Let's pretend the ask is Nurse for Trouba. So now your top 4 is:
Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Trouba

The Oilers would protect all 4 and have a legit, very good top 4. 3/4 are young, all skate well, all move the puck pretty well. All have size. All defend fairly well. All can move the puck reasonably well. There is potential for offense from Klefbom and Trouba and you have the right left balance you want.

So now you have Davidson sitting there unprotected. Assuming there is no one better than him made available in the expansion draft, the Oilers might lose their 3rd pairing, left shot dman. So I am freaking out about that because......?

I am just curious because the Oilers will lose 1 player. The player they will lose is either most likely a guy that is on their 3rd line - Yak, Maroon, Pouliot- or a dman that is probably in their 3rd pairing - Davidson, Reinhart, Fayne. So if you have the opportunity to get a player like Trouba who for sure is a top 4 guy and is a right shot, I don't see what the big deal is if Davidson is gone.

Ill be honest, I am losing track of what I posted in this thread and what I have said in the other one but I am not freaking out in any way. And losing Davidson is not catastrophic in any way.
My biggest concern is the overall cap hit right now and for the next 5-6 years that would come with Trouba.

In a cap world you cant simply look at a trade for what the players bring today. You have to look at contract value now, expected value if a new one is needed, expected role on the team, etc.

I am in now way saying a Nurse for Trouba trade is terrible I just personally wouldnt do it if the rumours of Trouba wanting North of 6 mill and some have said closer to 7 mill/year.

There is a pretty good chance that by the time the Oilers are in contention that Nurse will be as good or better and making a couple million less. So you end up with the same net result on defense my keeping Nurse but gain the benefit of still having a player like Davidson and a couple mill in cap space.

Edit
*** I just realized who I replied to and want to be clear that I am in no way starting a fight on this one. I think we simply have a different philosophy with prospects, and valuing the short term VS the long term value of the cap space and players involved.
Cheers

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677391 is a reply to message #677390 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 16:11

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 15:47

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Trouba

Ill be honest, I am losing track of what I posted in this thread and what I have said in the other one but I am not freaking out in any way. And losing Davidson is not catastrophic in any way.
My biggest concern is the overall cap hit right now and for the next 5-6 years that would come with Trouba.

In a cap world you cant simply look at a trade for what the players bring today. You have to look at contract value now, expected value if a new one is needed, expected role on the team, etc.

I am in now way saying a Nurse for Trouba trade is terrible I just personally wouldnt do it if the rumours of Trouba wanting North of 6 mill and some have said closer to 7 mill/year.

There is a pretty good chance that by the time the Oilers are in contention that Nurse will be as good or better and making a couple million less. So you end up with the same net result on defense my keeping Nurse but gain the benefit of still having a player like Davidson and a couple mill in cap space.

Edit
*** I just realized who I replied to and want to be clear that I am in no way starting a fight on this one. I think we simply have a different philosophy with prospects, and valuing the short term VS the long term value of the cap space and players involved.
Cheers

I think the salaries of Klefbom and Larsson do help the Oilers cap wise. Klefbom is a 4.167 cap hit and Larsson is a 4.166 cap hit. So the Oilers potentially have a top pairing that in theory are capable of playing 24 mins a night for under 8.4 mill. I don't have the cap hits of all the teams top pairings but I have to think that is up there as one of the cheaper ones.

We have all seen how far a good defense can take even a mediocre team. Trouba could be the last piece for the Oilers as his age, size and skill set would fit really nicely on the Oilers blueline. You definitely have to keep the cap in mind but there are ways to free up money if you had too.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677394 is a reply to message #677276 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

If there was no expansion draft looming I don't think Nurse would be enough 1 for 1 to get Trouba, however if I'm the Jets I would be looking hard a one for one trade for Nurse. If I'm Chia, I wouldn't be adding anything else either and possibly even asking for a pick back as well. Maybe it just doesn't work out, but Nurse being draft exempt and on his ELC gives him extra value right now.

Outside of Nurse, I would offer Davidson + (probably doesn't get it done) or check in with Sekera and see if he's willing to waive his NTC (probably not because McDavid effect). I would not move Klefbom for Trouba simply because you would be filling one major hole and creating another.

I also wonder if this is just posturing by Trouba's camp. You recall last year Hamonic went public with a trade request and low and behold, he never got traded. If I'm Chia, I think I could live with Nurse for Trouba straight up if my goal is to make the playoffs this year, otherwise I wait and go after Brent Burns next summer. Bottom line is, don't overpay for a guy asking to be traded, let another GM.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677405 is a reply to message #677276 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

If Chiarelli was willing to move Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson, then you have to think most of the roster with the exception of McDavid a select few with a largish cap hit would be in play for Trouba. Winnipeg probably doesn't want big contract coming back, so that rules out Eberle. After the deal this summer, it would now take a lot to surprise me coming from PC.

In my opinion, the piece or pieces going the other way would have to be Nurse + or Davidson ++. Better yet if you could build a package of someone like Reinhart, next year's first, +, but I think the price will be higher than that.

Unsigned RFA's, in a situation like this...do interested clubs get a chance to talk to their agents to flesh out a LT sort of deal prior to a trade?

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677406 is a reply to message #677405 ]
Mon, 26 September 2016 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 26 September 2016 20:45

Unsigned RFA's, in a situation like this...do interested clubs get a chance to talk to their agents to flesh out a LT sort of deal prior to a trade?

Yes, he's a free agent right now, so the Trouba camp can talk to anyone about a deal. I read some reporter (don't remember who) say that Trouba's agent had started talking to teams already.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677425 is a reply to message #677406 ]
Tue, 27 September 2016 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The one thing that worries me about Trouba is the contract. I said earlier that the Oilers have a nice thing going with their top pairing being combined under 8.4 so that helps their cap. I keep hearing that Trouba is asking for Dougie Hamilton money which is 5.75 mill. I don't know if that is a "Jets" ask meaning he's not happy with his playing situation but if you pay this crazy amount, I will suck it up. I would hope that for another team, it's less because that makes no sense.

When the Flames signed Hamilton, he was coming off a 42 pt season with the Bruins which is pretty darn good. He had 43 pts this past season. So it looks like it was worth the money.

When the Avs signed Barrie a couple of months ago to a 5.5 mill deal, Barrie was coming off a 49pt season, had a 53 pt the previous year and a 38pt in 64 games. Pretty freaking good numbers.

Trouba had 21 pts in 81 games last year. 22 in 65 games the year before and 29 in 65 in his first year. So technically he's declining. So I don't see where he thinks he's worth above 5.5 mill. I think he's worth in the range of Klefbom, Larsson, Brodin, that just over 4 mill. Even Vaatanen who has better offesive numbers signed for 4.5 mill. All GM's are going to I am sure talk contract with his agent before making the deal so if the ask is around Klefbom money, then I would be Ok with it. If it's north of 5, I am not so sure I would go for that.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677427 is a reply to message #677425 ]
Tue, 27 September 2016 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 27 September 2016 08:37

Trouba had 21 pts in 81 games last year. 22 in 65 games the year before and 29 in 65 in his first year. So technically he's declining. So I don't see where he thinks he's worth above 5.5 mill. I think he's worth in the range of Klefbom, Larsson, Brodin, that just over 4 mill. Even Vaatanen who has better offesive numbers signed for 4.5 mill. All GM's are going to I am sure talk contract with his agent before making the deal so if the ask is around Klefbom money, then I would be Ok with it. If it's north of 5, I am not so sure I would go for that.

His PP time has drastically declined in that time which would explain a lot of the reduced points.
Pretty good write up about him here: http://jetsnation.ca/2016/6/6/don-t-let-point-totals-fool-yo u-trouba-has-been-getting-better-and-better

Happy birthday btw, even if a day late :)

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677428 is a reply to message #677427 ]
Tue, 27 September 2016 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 27 September 2016 08:44

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 27 September 2016 08:37

His PP time has drastically declined in that time which would explain a lot of the reduced points.
Pretty good write up about him here: http://jetsnation.ca/2016/6/6/don-t-let-point-totals-fool-yo u-trouba-has-been-getting-better-and-better

Happy birthday btw, even if a day late :)

Thanks for the b-day wish, I didn't know it put it on here. One year closer to retirement woooo!! icon_lol

For Trouba I like him as a dman. I really like the potential, the size, skill set, how he playes and I think he could produce points but man you have to be sure the points will be there to give him Hamilton money. But this is from a fan who only gets to see him once in a while and reads stuff put out by other people.

One X factor here is the Oilers GM and head coach were the guys for team North America so they except the Jets probably have the best scouting report on Trouba because they have been around him for the last month, practiced with him, played him. You have to think they would have a better than most read on him as a player, what he can and can't do and if he would be a fit. McLellan didn't play him and didn't see him as a top 6 on the NA team until EkBlad went down and his hand was forced. That might play a factor because if he was as good as he and his agent say he is, you'd think he would play. Trouba has over 200 NHL games under his belt so he would be up there in experience and I believe Parenko played a fair amount over him.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677437 is a reply to message #677276 ]
Tue, 27 September 2016 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Given that Trouba is an RFA, and given that he wants out of Winnipeg, I don't see why a team that wanted him wouldn't just sign him to an offer sheet. That way you control what you give up for him, and you don't give up a roster player. Danger being, of course, that Winnipeg matches. But that then forces Winnipeg's hand - they would have to keep him for a full calendar year (if I understand the RFA rules correctly), which could result in a pissed-off Trouba.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677439 is a reply to message #677437 ]
Tue, 27 September 2016 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

AndersonRules wrote on Tue, 27 September 2016 10:52

Given that Trouba is an RFA, and given that he wants out of Winnipeg, I don't see why a team that wanted him wouldn't just sign him to an offer sheet. That way you control what you give up for him, and you don't give up a roster player. Danger being, of course, that Winnipeg matches. But that then forces Winnipeg's hand - they would have to keep him for a full calendar year (if I understand the RFA rules correctly), which could result in a pissed-off Trouba.

Trouba would have to sign said offer sheet, and if you sign him to a reasonable contract then the Jets match or you sign him to a $5.6M to $7.5M its gonna cost us our first 3 rounds of picks and even then i think the Jets match it. Like hell i give up 2 1st's, 2nd and 3rd for Trouba at the next level of compensation.

Trouba is worth at most a 2017 or 2018 1st w/ lotto protection and a NHL ready prospect or 2 Almost ready prospects.

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi #inverno76

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677440 is a reply to message #677437 ]
Tue, 27 September 2016 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

AndersonRules wrote on Tue, 27 September 2016 10:52

If Trouba truly just doesnt want to play in Winnipeg he is taking a huge risk signing an RFA deal.
WPG already controls his rights but at that point he has lost all of the power he has as a free agent right now.
The only hope he has as an RFA is someone goes the route of threatening an RFA deal that nets the Jets only picks hoping to corner them into accepting the offer of trade being proposed.
If a team signs him to a decent deal and WPG matches he can sit out but then the situation changes as he would be under contract where right now he has every right not to report, regardless of the trade request or reason for it.

I believe is someone was willing to overpay as an RFA an cough up the picks that would have been done already.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677625 is a reply to message #677276 ]
Fri, 30 September 2016 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
83Hemmer83  is currently offline 83Hemmer83

No Cups

I love Draisatl... I think he's got a wicked bright future, and did not look out of place as one of, if not the youngest European in the World Cup lineup... that said, would you trade him straight up for Trouba?

D solidified.

bold move

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677632 is a reply to message #677625 ]
Fri, 30 September 2016 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

83Hemmer83 wrote on Fri, 30 September 2016 15:03

I love Draisatl... I think he's got a wicked bright future, and did not look out of place as one of, if not the youngest European in the World Cup lineup... that said, would you trade him straight up for Trouba?

D solidified.

bold move

Problem is, he isn't really what Winnipeg needs, and he isn't expansion exempt. I don't know how much interest they'd have with Scheifele, Little, Perrault down the middle, with Kyle Connor and Nic Petan knocking on the door.

I really do think the potential for any deal revolves around Darnell Nurse.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #677641 is a reply to message #677632 ]
Fri, 30 September 2016 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 30 September 2016 15:23

83Hemmer83 wrote on Fri, 30 September 2016 15:03

D solidified.

bold move

Problem is, he isn't really what Winnipeg needs, and he isn't expansion exempt. I don't know how much interest they'd have with Scheifele, Little, Perrault down the middle, with Kyle Connor and Nic Petan knocking on the door.

I really do think the potential for any deal revolves around Darnell Nurse.

I dream of trading Nurse for an NHL ready D-man with upside. I dream of dealing any prospect for an NHL ready player with upside.

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Trouble with Isles
Next Topic:Reinhart for Mcilrath?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca