This day on August 15
Acquired: Ken Solheim (1985)

Happy Birthday To: Oilforever, Smytty97, recon929, OvenChicken8

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Bold offseason predictionsPages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #666291 is a reply to message #666289 ]
Tue, 09 February 2016 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Tue, 09 February 2016 15:03

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 09 February 2016 13:34

Xombie wrote on Tue, 09 February 2016 14:33

So Yandle is an older, better groomed Justin Schultz?

Less expensive too, based on what his cap hit is to NYR.

I wonder if it's less about a guy like Schultz on the PP and more about the group as a whole? What can Yandle do if the forwards can't enter the zone or get possession after a dump in? No doubt Schultz has been useless on the point, but 1 d-man isn't going to solve the PP. The entire group needs to learn composure with the puck and how to move it around the zone and back off the defenders. Until they learn that, Shea Webber on the point won't make much difference.

You don't think a good PP dman can make a HUGE difference? Schultz doesn't have a big shot, so the defending team has one less thing to worry about. His shot isn't a weapon what so ever. Schultz isn't very good at getting his shot through, he gets it blocked a lot which usually results in a loss of the zone or possession all together. On the off chance he does get it through, he uses that useless wrist shot. #1 unless he surprises a goalie, it's not hard enough from that distance to beat a goalie. #2, he shoots it so high - chest height - you can't tip it or it doesn't create a rebound for a second chance.

Would it be awesome to have a Weber who can flat out beat a goalie by blowing it by him, sure. But what they need is a dman that can get off a good, hard, low shot that actually makes it on goal. It either scores, can be tipped or generates a rebound. Having a guy that can do that, would make a HUGE difference. That's not Schultz.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #666325 is a reply to message #666291 ]
Tue, 09 February 2016 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 09 February 2016 14:21

jds308 wrote on Tue, 09 February 2016 15:03

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 09 February 2016 13:34

Less expensive too, based on what his cap hit is to NYR.

I wonder if it's less about a guy like Schultz on the PP and more about the group as a whole? What can Yandle do if the forwards can't enter the zone or get possession after a dump in? No doubt Schultz has been useless on the point, but 1 d-man isn't going to solve the PP. The entire group needs to learn composure with the puck and how to move it around the zone and back off the defenders. Until they learn that, Shea Webber on the point won't make much difference.

You don't think a good PP dman can make a HUGE difference? Schultz doesn't have a big shot, so the defending team has one less thing to worry about. His shot isn't a weapon what so ever. Schultz isn't very good at getting his shot through, he gets it blocked a lot which usually results in a loss of the zone or possession all together. On the off chance he does get it through, he uses that useless wrist shot. #1 unless he surprises a goalie, it's not hard enough from that distance to beat a goalie. #2, he shoots it so high - chest height - you can't tip it or it doesn't create a rebound for a second chance.

Would it be awesome to have a Weber who can flat out beat a goalie by blowing it by him, sure. But what they need is a dman that can get off a good, hard, low shot that actually makes it on goal. It either scores, can be tipped or generates a rebound. Having a guy that can do that, would make a HUGE difference. That's not Schultz.

Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant. Not saying a good PP d-man won't help and certainly wasn't implying that Schultz was anything better than useless on it. My point was that there is more to a good PP than just dropping a good PP d-man in there. A number of things need to be better, including a presence on the point.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #666292 is a reply to message #666287 ]
Tue, 09 February 2016 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Yandle is what Schultz should have been. Big producer on the PP. Since 2009-10, here's the top defencemen in scoring:

Erik Karlsson - 362 points
Duncan Keith - 319
Keith Yandle - 306
Shea Weber - 304
Dustin Byfuglien - 301
Brent Burns - 279
Kris Letang - 273
Drew Doughty - 271
PK Subban - 269
Ryan Suter - 267

For powerplay scoring:
Karlson - 143
Yandle - 131
Weber - 131
Subban - 124
Boyle - 121
Byfuglien - 118
Doughty - 117
Suter - 113
Letang - 112
J. Johnson - 111

In that time he's played an average of 22:24 a game, so while he may not be the most relied on guy in the league, his coaches have put him out on the ice a lot.

In that time he's 14th overall in points per game among defencemen, but that list includes Pronger, Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Rafalski. He's been in the top ten in points in four of the last five seasons. As a blue-liner, he's on the top rung of point production.

Is there warts in his game? Yes. And he's 29, so you can't expect him to score that way forever, but look at the company around him on those lists. The only other guys who might be available are Boyle (who's 40) and Jack Johnson (who doesn't add the even strength scoring and is I think worse defensively).

I don't care if you have to play a point producing, powerplay defenceman in offensive zone starts - that kind of push has been wonderful for the Sedins for a long long time - and if you need to keep him from going head to head with Patrick Kane, that's okay too...there's very very few defencemen in the league who'll get you 50 points a season so that's valuable.

My caveats? I wouldn't want him to be signed for terribly long. 2-3 year deal and that's it. And you wouldn't want to break the bank on him, given that you're still hunting for another blueliner too.

I don't believe that anyone is going to give us a Chris Pronger, so the Oilers may need to get a couple different pieces to approximate that. Maybe you do make a Hamonic trade and pick up Yandle and one balances out the other. Neither true first pairing guys, but both effective at what they do.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #667736 is a reply to message #666150 ]
Sat, 27 February 2016 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

No worries everyone. Chia is going to sign Stamkos this summer ;)
http://thehockeywriters.com/steven-stamkos-connor-mcdavid-an d-the-edmonton-oilers/

Then sign Lucic, trade the 6M boys club for D and plan the parade route.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #667741 is a reply to message #667736 ]
Sat, 27 February 2016 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Sat, 27 February 2016 14:11

http://thehockeywriters.com/steven-stamkos-connor-mcdavid-an d-the-edmonton-oilers/

Now That would be

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PsElAHpTtpI/UHXDSK3MtdI/AAAAAAAAJ8Y/y8RxO5b8eeQ/s1600/BoldOnBlack.png

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #667744 is a reply to message #667741 ]
Sat, 27 February 2016 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Box checked.

However, wouldn't it make more sense to trade Nuge if Stamkos was here?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #667747 is a reply to message #667736 ]
Sat, 27 February 2016 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

jds308 wrote on Sat, 27 February 2016 14:11

The author spelt Lightning wrong. Makes me a little leery of the rest o his article;)

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668083 is a reply to message #667747 ]
Tue, 01 March 2016 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

I'm gonna throw out 2 things I would do/target if I'm the Oilers brass this summer, in order to shore up our right handed D-Men problems.

Trade 1:

June 24 Draft Day: Target Hamonic!! How this get's done is tough though. Firstly, nobody ever speaks about this, but trade Sekera in the deal. YES, I know he's been our best defenceman, and I know he's only been here a year, but he's signed for 4 more years at a 5.5 hit, and he's a left handed shot. His value will never be higher as right now, because he's still in his prime years, and we can afford to give him up because our left side gets good in 2 years with Klefbom and Nurse continuing to develop. This leaves no room for Sekera by 2018. Plus, it's clear that NYI want someone that can eat some of Hamonic's minutes, and he may be better offensively than Hamonic as well. Trading Hamonic doesnt leave the Isles without a right handed shot either, as Boychuk is still there and they have Puloock and Mayfield coming up the pipe as right handed shots.

Now, I know Sekera alone doesn't get it done, so wait for it...... Sekera + our 1st round pick. Likely, it's a top 5 pick, but unless it's #1, it's not even a given, and this is a give in order to get scenario. We take on a cheaper right handed Sekera, who is younger, and is a proven top pairing guy. Also, I would say we get their 1st round pick, likely to be a 20-25 pick, this way they don't come away like gangbusters, considering they're trading a guy that demanded for a trade with limited destinations.

Trade 2:

July 1: I wait for Backes to bolt as an UFA, leaving St. Louis with a huge top 6 C hole, where we can deal RNH for Shattenkirk, provided on this day, they can allow us to negotiate with him in order to facilitate a sign and trade. If you can get him at a $6 million cap hit, you go 8 years on him (he gets the added year by signing with St. Louis then they deal him to us). This 8 year deal, along with his 1 year left on his current deal, brings him to 36 years old. Front load it as 7.5, 7, 6.5, 6, 6, 5.5, 5, 4.5.

You're giving up 4 more years of RNH in his prime, but filling a huge hole in your top 4 and PP. Perhaps you can get a bit more juice out of St. Louis, such as a Ty Rattie type prospect.

To NYI: Sekera + 1st Round Pick
To EDM: Hamonic + 1st Round Pick

To STL: RNH
To EDM: Shattenkirk (once extended) + Ty Rattie type prospect

Edmontons 2016-2022 top 4 D

Klefbom - Hamonic
Nurse - Shattenkirk

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668085 is a reply to message #668083 ]
Tue, 01 March 2016 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

I'd rather see if we could do something like Ebs for Hamonic and then the first (with possibly something else depending where that pick falls) for Shattenkirk/other #1 D

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668087 is a reply to message #668085 ]
Tue, 01 March 2016 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 01 March 2016 19:05

I'd rather see if we could do something like Ebs for Hamonic and then the first (with possibly something else depending where that pick falls) for Shattenkirk/other #1 D

I just don't see them needing Eberle, sure they're losing Okposo, but there's a reason they didn't make a deal for any forward depth at the deadline. Strome is finally coming into his own, and Dal Colle, Barzal, Beauvillier, and Ho-Sang are all coming up.

If we deal Eberle this summer, I say we hold onto the 1st rounder in order to try and replace him.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2016 20:14]

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668100 is a reply to message #668087 ]
Tue, 01 March 2016 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

mazankowski wrote on Tue, 01 March 2016 20:12

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 01 March 2016 19:05

I just don't see them needing Eberle, sure they're losing Okposo, but there's a reason they didn't make a deal for any forward depth at the deadline. Strome is finally coming into his own, and Dal Colle, Barzal, Beauvillier, and Ho-Sang are all coming up.

If we deal Eberle this summer, I say we hold onto the 1st rounder in order to try and replace him.

Drai can always slot back to wing. Keeps that center depth in case of an injury, then you can pick up a FA such as Okposo to replace the scoring you lose by dealing Ebs.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668104 is a reply to message #668083 ]
Tue, 01 March 2016 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

mazankowski wrote on Tue, 01 March 2016 18:52

To NYI: Sekera + 1st Round Pick
To EDM: Hamonic + 1st Round Pick

The only problem from the NYI perspective that I see is the cap trade off. Oilers might have to eat some of Sekera's deal to balance out the dollars. Hamonic has a sweatheart contract, Sekera is not what I would call a bargain. But yeah, depending on where our pick is, I would do that deal especially if you also end up with Shatenkirk. Need a vet, they can't all be youngsters.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2016 22:13]

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668113 is a reply to message #668083 ]
Wed, 02 March 2016 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

mazankowski wrote on Tue, 01 March 2016 23:22

I'm gonna throw out 2 things I would do/target if I'm the Oilers brass this summer, in order to shore up our right handed D-Men problems.

Trade 1:

June 24 Draft Day: Target Hamonic!! How this get's done is tough though. Firstly, nobody ever speaks about this, but trade Sekera in the deal.

I'm just gonna stop you right there. Not because it's not a good idea, but because Sekara has a NMC. The only way he's going to NY is on vacation.

Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668115 is a reply to message #668113 ]
Wed, 02 March 2016 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

Hibernia wrote on Wed, 02 March 2016 07:41

mazankowski wrote on Tue, 01 March 2016 23:22

Trade 1:

June 24 Draft Day: Target Hamonic!! How this get's done is tough though. Firstly, nobody ever speaks about this, but trade Sekera in the deal.

I'm just gonna stop you right there. Not because it's not a good idea, but because Sekara has a NMC. The only way he's going to NY is on vacation.

I don't think I want to touch any of the young guys anymore. With the Maroon acquisition and the probable signing of Kassian, I think you run your lines with what you have, keep the depth (amazing concept).
Hall-Drai-Kassian
Pouliot-McD-Ebs
Maroon-RNH-Yak
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpikoski
Lander

The team is, like everyone keeps saying, two top pairing D away. I'm starting to think that I don't want to touch my depth to fix this when I have a very valuable 1st round pick. If that pick can get you Hamonic + or Shattenkirk, I'm going to go that route, if it's #1, maybe Ekman-Larsson is possible, you never know. THEN, I'm going into free agency with phone calls to Keith Yandle, Dan Hamhuis and Alex Goligoski. They're not necessarily #1's either, but the depth you create by adding these guys to your top four that already has Sekera and Klefbom is I think pretty strong. The obvious problem is that all three of the players I mentioned shoot left and the only right shooter would be whomever we get in the trade for the #1. So say we get Shattenkirk and Yandle:

Shattenkirk-Yandle
Klefbom-Sekera
Davidson-Nurse
Fayne
Ference

This is obviously doing nothing else with the roster, which I'm not sure will happen, but I'm looking at that team as a pretty deep team now, one that could possibly compete.

I haven't looked at the cap-implications regarding the Shatty deal, so I assume something will probably have to give there, assuming extension for Shatty of course.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668120 is a reply to message #668115 ]
Wed, 02 March 2016 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Wed, 02 March 2016 10:33

I'm starting to think that I don't want to touch my depth to fix this when I have a very valuable 1st round pick. If that pick can get you Hamonic + or Shattenkirk, I'm going to go that route, if it's #1, maybe Ekman-Larsson is possible, you never know.

Hamonic is nowhere near close to fair value for our 1st pick. Assuming that pick is top 3, I need a lot more than Hamonic

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668122 is a reply to message #668120 ]
Wed, 02 March 2016 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 02 March 2016 08:54

I'm starting to think that I don't want to touch my depth to fix this when I have a very valuable 1st round pick. If that pick can get you Hamonic + or Shattenkirk, I'm going to go that route, if it's #1, maybe Ekman-Larsson is possible, you never know.

Hamonic is nowhere near close to fair value for our 1st pick. Assuming that pick is top 3, I need a lot more than Hamonic

If we won the lottery, I would love to get a #2D quality guy to move down and still keep a pick in the top 4/5 and pick a D prospect with it. Would be a great short and long term boost to our D depth.

Then make a hockey trade with one of our fancy boys and 2017's 1st rounder for another top pairing D.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668127 is a reply to message #668120 ]
Wed, 02 March 2016 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 02 March 2016 09:54

Exactly...I said "Hamonic +", not sure what the + would be, but I'm right with you there. No way 1st for Hamonic is fair value.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668123 is a reply to message #668115 ]
Wed, 02 March 2016 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

OilPeg wrote on Wed, 02 March 2016 07:33

I don't think I want to touch any of the young guys anymore. With the Maroon acquisition and the probable signing of Kassian, I think you run your lines with what you have, keep the depth (amazing concept).
Hall-Drai-Kassian
Pouliot-McD-Ebs
Maroon-RNH-Yak
Lander

This was my initial thought too - keep all the high-end forwards. The problem though, as another poster on this forum wisely pointed out, is that the guys on the third line aren't going to get their minutes. This is maybe okay for guys like Yakupov but probably not for guys like RNH.

The blended solution, imo, is to dangle the most expendable $6M player for that right-handed D. Since Drai can play wing I don't think we should consider trading RNH - having three natural centers gives us all kinds of insurance against injury. That leaves Hall or Eberle. Since Hall is the more complete player that leaves Eberle as the odd man out. If he can get us that right-handed D we still have a pretty good top-6.

Hall-McD-Yakupov
Drai-RNH-Kassian/Pouliot

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668128 is a reply to message #668123 ]
Wed, 02 March 2016 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Wed, 02 March 2016 09:13

Hall-Drai-Kassian
Pouliot-McD-Ebs
Maroon-RNH-Yak
Lander

This was my initial thought too - keep all the high-end forwards. The problem though, as another poster on this forum wisely pointed out, is that the guys on the third line aren't going to get their minutes. This is maybe okay for guys like Yakupov but probably not for guys like RNH.

The blended solution, imo, is to dangle the most expendable $6M player for that right-handed D. Since Drai can play wing I don't think we should consider trading RNH - having three natural centers gives us all kinds of insurance against injury. That leaves Hall or Eberle. Since Hall is the more complete player that leaves Eberle as the odd man out. If he can get us that right-handed D we still have a pretty good top-6.

Hall-McD-Yakupov
Drai-RNH-Kassian/Pouliot

Maroon could be an option on one of those lines too.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668129 is a reply to message #668128 ]
Wed, 02 March 2016 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 02 March 2016 09:24

DUFFMAN wrote on Wed, 02 March 2016 09:13

Hall-Drai-Kassian
Pouliot-McD-Ebs
Maroon-RNH-Yak
Lander

Hall-McD-Yakupov
Drai-RNH-Kassian/Pouliot

Maroon could be an option on one of those lines too.

The things with trading RNH is that it really doesn't preclude the Oilers from signing another centre and keeping that centre depth.

Let's take Frans Nielsen for example. If he hits UFA, maybe you can sign him for $4M - $4.5M per year for three or four years. It allows you to keep centre depth, it allows you to shed some salary, it allows you to move RNH for another piece.

Whatever player the Oilers move out, it won't be in isolation. If they move out a winger, they'll likely need to bring in a slightly lesser winger. If they move out a centre, they'll likely need to bring in a slightly lesser centre. The Oilers depth isn't deep enough anywhere to not be impacted by a major move; it's will be least felt at centre with McDavid/Drasaitl/RNH, but the drop from RNH to Letestu is significant, and likely would require another UFA signing or draft day trade.

I'm in the minority, but I just feel that given the lack of RH shooters and the shaky RW depth, I'm reluctant to move Eberle. Given that Hall is one of the best wingers in the game, I'm reluctant to move him. And given that RNH is a good centre behind two younger centres with higher ceilings, and given that RNH has never hit 60 points, and given that you drafted Draisaitl to have a "big centre" that could go up against other big centres in the Western Conference, and given that RNH likely could bring in a higher return than Eberle... he's still the guy I'm looking to move. I think I differ from Chiarelli in this, but I think it's the right move to make.

Of course, maybe you can draft one of the Finnish kids and use them on RW, but I'm reluctant to put another 18-year-old that high in the roster. Maybe you do just move the pick, but then you lose an ELC which will be handy when you have to re-sign McDavid. The Oilers may be forced to shed salary then anyways, and maybe you can be proactive now and get a better return and fill holes so that you have a high-skilled player on an ELC instead of a $6M player a few years from UFA.

I don't know. There's so many scenarios, so many moving parts, I think it's impossible to say in isolation who should / shouldn't be moved. Truth is, Chiarelli probably doesn't even know this. A lot of what happens this summer likely depends on the moves other teams make and who becomes available. I think the key is to have one eye on the present, one eye on the future, and a good touch on what is happening around the league. Really the only untouchable piece should be McDavid, and you should see what other opportunities are available this summer.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668133 is a reply to message #668129 ]
Wed, 02 March 2016 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Team Dean  is currently offline Team Dean

No Cups

The only thing as hard to get as top pairing dmen? Top line centres.
Let's not create one hole to solve another.

I'd only move Ebs, and only for a very good dman. If it's not a top pairing dman, I don't trade anyone. We have enough 4d and bottom pairing d and 3rd and 4th liners. We need a top pairing dman or we shouldnt move anyone. Hamonic is a borderline 2D maybe, so that might be the deal or someone like that. If we could bundle up and get OEL, that'd be great.

Otherwise do what Garth Snow did, he got Boychuk and Leddy for picks, and no players. Revamped his entire d core in one offseason. It can be done. It takes brains though, which I'm not sure we have over here.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668134 is a reply to message #668133 ]
Wed, 02 March 2016 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Team Dean wrote on Wed, 02 March 2016 10:32

I'd only move Ebs, and only for a very good dman. If it's not a top pairing dman, I don't trade anyone. We have enough 4d and bottom pairing d and 3rd and 4th liners. We need a top pairing dman or we shouldnt move anyone. Hamonic is a borderline 2D maybe, so that might be the deal or someone like that. If we could bundle up and get OEL, that'd be great.

Otherwise do what Garth Snow did, he got Boychuk and Leddy for picks, and no players. Revamped his entire d core in one offseason. It can be done. It takes brains though, which I'm not sure we have over here.

Yeah, but that's the thing. The Oilers don't need a top-line centre anymore. RNH will not be that for this club. What they need is a 3C who can move up to a 2C if there is an injury or if Draisaitl is struggling. And you can probably find a high-end 3C for less than $6M.

BECAUSE top line centres hold value, RNH probably is the chip that brings in the most - maybe Hall might bring more, but I'm not sure. And because they are hard to find, there should be a good market for teams who are looking for a top-line centre.

If the Oilers didn't have McDavid, then absolutely you are holding onto Nugent-Hopkins. But last year's draft lottery changes everything.

Other things is, with the cap coming down and McDavid's ELC contract expiring, and Eberle approaching UFA shortly after, you're likely having to move at least one of these $6M in the next few years anyway. If you can keep a high draft pick so you have a succession plan and use a current player to address an area of weakness, that might be something to consider.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 March 2016 10:41]

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668152 is a reply to message #668134 ]
Wed, 02 March 2016 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 02 March 2016 10:38

Yeah, but that's the thing. The Oilers don't need a top-line centre anymore. RNH will not be that for this club. What they need is a 3C who can move up to a 2C if there is an injury or if Draisaitl is struggling. And you can probably find a high-end 3C for less than $6M.

BECAUSE top line centres hold value, RNH probably is the chip that brings in the most - maybe Hall might bring more, but I'm not sure. And because they are hard to find, there should be a good market for teams who are looking for a top-line centre.

If the Oilers didn't have McDavid, then absolutely you are holding onto Nugent-Hopkins. But last year's draft lottery changes everything.

Other things is, with the cap coming down and McDavid's ELC contract expiring, and Eberle approaching UFA shortly after, you're likely having to move at least one of these $6M in the next few years anyway. If you can keep a high draft pick so you have a succession plan and use a current player to address an area of weakness, that might be something to consider.

Who do you suggest as a "high-end 3C" that (a) we could get for less than $6M, and (b) can easily move up to 2C if need be? I'm not aware of a plethora of candidates for that job description.

I much prefer the notion of using three top-end centers on our top 2 lines - e.g., RNH between Hall and Draisatl, with McDavid centering (e.g.) Pouliot & Yakupov or Eberle. There are just more workable options, both in individual games, and in the event of significant injury.

Outside of McDavid, I do not have any untouchables. But in decreasing order, I am EXTREMELY hesitant to trade
McDavid
Nugent-Hopkins
Draisatl
Hall
Nurse
Klefbom

Not because I think RNH or Draisatl are better players than Hall, but because of the versatility they provide.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668155 is a reply to message #668152 ]
Wed, 02 March 2016 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Frans Nielson is the one that springs to mind immediately. Heck Sam Gagner, in that role, might even be okay. (Interesting to note: by the end of Gagner's fifth NHL season, he had 220 points to RNH's current 218 points).

I'm guessing others may be come available as the cap comes down this summer. Like I said, it's really hard to be privy to this information, as the NHL often has moving parts, each GM trying to acquire players for as little as possible. But it's also not unheard of for guys to be moved at the draft (Brandon Sutter, Kyle Brodziak, Andrew Cogliano, etc).

It's an option that shouldn't be dismissed out of thought.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668529 is a reply to message #668155 ]
Tue, 08 March 2016 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 02 March 2016 14:52

Frans Nielson is the one that springs to mind immediately. Heck Sam Gagner, in that role, might even be okay. (Interesting to note: by the end of Gagner's fifth NHL season, he had 220 points to RNH's current 218 points).

I'm guessing others may be come available as the cap comes down this summer. Like I said, it's really hard to be privy to this information, as the NHL often has moving parts, each GM trying to acquire players for as little as possible. But it's also not unheard of for guys to be moved at the draft (Brandon Sutter, Kyle Brodziak, Andrew Cogliano, etc).

It's an option that shouldn't be dismissed out of thought.

I actually think Cody Hodgson could be a solid middle 6 C. He's not awful on the dot, can provide some secondary scoring (25-35 points), can move up in the lineup if need be, and would come extremely cheap. He's not in Nashville anymore due to the depth they have (Johansen, Ribiero, and Fisher), but would probably be a great compliment to what we have at the top end. Also he already knows a lot of the core from his junior days and world junior time.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668147 is a reply to message #668133 ]
Wed, 02 March 2016 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

I'd only move Ebs, and only for a very good dman. If it's not a top pairing dman, I don't trade anyone. We have enough 4d and bottom pairing d and 3rd and 4th liners. We need a top pairing dman or we shouldnt move anyone. Hamonic is a borderline 2D maybe, so that might be the deal or someone like that.

Agreed and agreed. We have our best group of centers since the 80s - let's stay on top of that position for a while. And unless Eberle gets you a guy like Hamonic at minimum, we should keep Eberle.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668316 is a reply to message #666150 ]
Thu, 03 March 2016 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Not a prediction, more of a thought process for the summer. Been thinking a lot about the 6M dollar boys club and who's actually expendable vs who brings back the best return and balancing that with the 6M dollar question: Which one(s) do you trade?

I honestly can't decide. I don't think any of them are "expendable" per se. Each bring something that the others don't, while at the same time, none are perfect players.

Hall: Well documented in another thread. He's a legit top 10 LW in the league. There is no denying that. He seems to have matured a lot this year and become a more well rounded player. His speed, his effort, his skill is unmatched by any other Oiler with the exception of McDavid. He can drive the play and bring his linemates along. His on ice attitude and his hockey IQ have been called into question a lot but it would still be very hard to part with him. Who replaces that offense?

Eberle: Maybe a bit of a one-trick pony. He's got crazy sick hands, and as good as anyone in tight. But he's shown that he can also be a lazy player and go into invisible mode for stretches. Doesn't always give it all, and he's not a driver on his line. That said, he's the only highly skilled right shot forward on the team. His trade value is probably the lowest of the 3 and that actually might make him more valuable to keep.

Nuge: Not his best year, and getting hurt didn't help his value. He's a #1 center on a lot of teams and probably a solid #2 center on almost every team. His 2-way play is the best of the 3, and perhaps has caused his offensive numbers to sag a bit having to play the hardest match-ups. Lost in this season somewhat is the fact that he's still very young and still developing himself while also mentoring 97 and 29. That is a lot of responsibility for a 22 year old. I think he could still bring back the best return of the 3.

At the end of the day, the trade market is likely to determine which one(s) is moved to fill another need. When Chia is faced with an offer from team X for player Y, that's likely what ultimately decides who goes.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #668318 is a reply to message #668316 ]
Thu, 03 March 2016 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2016 22:29

Not a prediction, more of a thought process for the summer. Been thinking a lot about the 6M dollar boys club and who's actually expendable vs who brings back the best return and balancing that with the 6M dollar question: Which one(s) do you trade?

I honestly can't decide. I don't think any of them are "expendable" per se. Each bring something that the others don't, while at the same time, none are perfect players.

Hall: Well documented in another thread. He's a legit top 10 LW in the league. There is no denying that. He seems to have matured a lot this year and become a more well rounded player. His speed, his effort, his skill is unmatched by any other Oiler with the exception of McDavid. He can drive the play and bring his linemates along. His on ice attitude and his hockey IQ have been called into question a lot but it would still be very hard to part with him. Who replaces that offense?

Eberle: Maybe a bit of a one-trick pony. He's got crazy sick hands, and as good as anyone in tight. But he's shown that he can also be a lazy player and go into invisible mode for stretches. Doesn't always give it all, and he's not a driver on his line. That said, he's the only highly skilled right shot forward on the team. His trade value is probably the lowest of the 3 and that actually might make him more valuable to keep.

Nuge: Not his best year, and getting hurt didn't help his value. He's a #1 center on a lot of teams and probably a solid #2 center on almost every team. His 2-way play is the best of the 3, and perhaps has caused his offensive numbers to sag a bit having to play the hardest match-ups. Lost in this season somewhat is the fact that he's still very young and still developing himself while also mentoring 97 and 29. That is a lot of responsibility for a 22 year old. I think he could still bring back the best return of the 3.

At the end of the day, the trade market is likely to determine which one(s) is moved to fill another need. When Chia is faced with an offer from team X for player Y, that's likely what ultimately decides who goes.

I would like to see Nuge tried on the wing when he's back. Not sure if he would dislike the idea and he would feel he's taking a step back as a player by not playing C, but I think it might let him let loose a little bit and he may be able to get back to bringing some more creativity into his game. Who knows, he could end up being just as productive on the wing as Ebs is. Would make the decision a heck of a lot easier.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #669338 is a reply to message #668318 ]
Tue, 22 March 2016 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

In my mind, there are really only 2 players that I would say are untouchable.
McDavid obviously and Draisaitl. You need to build down the middle McDavid is going to be the best player in the league in a year or 2. Draisatl is the big, strong, hard on the puck , super skilled, good staking center the Oilers have been trying to get since Arnott and who you need to have if you want a chance to win especially in the West. The Oilers realistically could have the best 1-2 punch at center in the league in a couple of years.

In the reality, the Oilers have 4 real good trade chips to get a Dman. Hall, Huge, Eberle, their #1. For me, I am trading their #1 all day long. The higher the pick, the better because it's worth more. Would it be great to get another high end forward even if it's Matthews? Sure but the Oilers need defense, not another forward. Plus they need to take advantage of McDavid being cheap so in order to do that, they need to improve the roster right now and take a big step. Drafting another high end forward that in reality won't be dominate for 3 years because he's not McDavid, doesn't help them much now or for the next few years while McDavid is cheap.

In Hall, I don't trade him unless the Dman coming back is too good to pass up. I'm talking in their 20's, legit #1's that make Olympic teams and get Norris votes. You can't replace Hall. He's one of the best left wingers in the game, he's a legit star, he's a team driver. He's a difference maker. He might be captain material. He's got a great combination of competitiveness, super skill, speed some size. He's dramatically improved his defensive game so he's a reasonable 2 way guy. You can't replace a Hall because there aren't many like him.

Nuge. I am a big fan of Nuge. He skates well, has great skill, super smart, very good 2 way guy. If he's the Oilers 3rd line center, every team is drouling. However, he sucks on faceoffs still. He's not the biggest guy so can you play him in a shut down role because I don't see how you play him above Draisaitl or McDavid. Also, can you really afford to pay your 3rd line center 6 mill a year? I am not sure if you want to play him as a winger in your top 6 because of his size. So if he's destine to be your 3rd line center, I think you are better off using his 6 mill and getting another center as much as that pains me to say. For 6 mill, you can get a damn good 3rd line center plus another winger. That's way better value.

Eberle. I am a fan of Eberle but I think if it was me, he's the first guy I would trade. He's a pretty good scorer but as mentioned, he is one dimensional. The good thing is his one dimension - offense - is really good. On any given year when healthy, Eberle can get you 30 goals. With McDavid, I for sure think he can get 30 easy. However, for the teams best interests, with 6 mill, you can get a bigger, more well rounded winger to flank McDavid. This winger may not be able to pick the top corner all the time or score as many highlight reel goals but in today's NHL, more greasy goals are scored than highlight reel goals. More goals are scored in the paint than they are from 30ft out. Eberle's replacement may not score you the 30+ that Eberle could but if he scores you mid 20's while being harder to play against, banging some bodies, watching out for McDavid and trimming of 5-10 goals against from that line, you are better off.

A dream scenario is a really high end Dman hooks up with a GM's wife. The GM is ticked off and in a drunken rage, trades the Oilers the high end Dman for Yak and a prospect. A guy can dream can't he?

[Updated on: Tue, 22 March 2016 10:07]

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #669348 is a reply to message #669338 ]
Tue, 22 March 2016 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 22 March 2016 11:03

In my mind, there are really only 2 players that I would say are untouchable.
McDavid obviously and Draisaitl. You need to build down the middle McDavid is going to be the best player in the league in a year or 2. Draisatl is the big, strong, hard on the puck , super skilled, good staking center the Oilers have been trying to get since Arnott and who you need to have if you want a chance to win especially in the West. The Oilers realistically could have the best 1-2 punch at center in the league in a couple of years.

In the reality, the Oilers have 4 real good trade chips to get a Dman. Hall, Huge, Eberle, their #1. For me, I am trading their #1 all day long. The higher the pick, the better because it's worth more. Would it be great to get another high end forward even if it's Matthews? Sure but the Oilers need defense, not another forward. Plus they need to take advantage of McDavid being cheap so in order to do that, they need to improve the roster right now and take a big step. Drafting another high end forward that in reality won't be dominate for 3 years because he's not McDavid, doesn't help them much now or for the next few years while McDavid is cheap.

In Hall, I don't trade him unless the Dman coming back is too good to pass up. I'm talking in their 20's, legit #1's that make Olympic teams and get Norris votes. You can't replace Hall. He's one of the best left wingers in the game, he's a legit star, he's a team driver. He's a difference maker. He might be captain material. He's got a great combination of competitiveness, super skill, speed some size. He's dramatically improved his defensive game so he's a reasonable 2 way guy. You can't replace a Hall because there aren't many like him.

Nuge. I am a big fan of Nuge. He skates well, has great skill, super smart, very good 2 way guy. If he's the Oilers 3rd line center, every team is drouling. However, he sucks on faceoffs still. He's not the biggest guy so can you play him in a shut down role because I don't see how you play him above Draisaitl or McDavid. Also, can you really afford to pay your 3rd line center 6 mill a year? I am not sure if you want to play him as a winger in your top 6 because of his size. So if he's destine to be your 3rd line center, I think you are better off using his 6 mill and getting another center as much as that pains me to say. For 6 mill, you can get a damn good 3rd line center plus another winger. That's way better value.

Eberle. I am a fan of Eberle but I think if it was me, he's the first guy I would trade. He's a pretty good scorer but as mentioned, he is one dimensional. The good thing is his one dimension - offense - is really good. On any given year when healthy, Eberle can get you 30 goals. With McDavid, I for sure think he can get 30 easy. However, for the teams best interests, with 6 mill, you can get a bigger, more well rounded winger to flank McDavid. This winger may not be able to pick the top corner all the time or score as many highlight reel goals but in today's NHL, more greasy goals are scored than highlight reel goals. More goals are scored in the paint than they are from 30ft out. Eberle's replacement may not score you the 30+ that Eberle could but if he scores you mid 20's while being harder to play against, banging some bodies, watching out for McDavid and trimming of 5-10 goals against from that line, you are better off.

A dream scenario is a really high end Dman hooks up with a GM's wife. The GM is ticked off and in a drunken rage, trades the Oilers the high end Dman for Yak and a prospect. A guy can dream can't he?

You almost did it! Almost! You almost made it an entire post (which was well thought out by the way) without slamming Yak, even if it was only an implied slam. I'll give you credit for that.

I like your reasoning on everything else though, something's got to give and you provide good arguments for each option. Personally I think we trade the #1 and run three scoring lines next year. That #1 has to get us a top D and we go from there.

Here's a thought based the expansion talk, Nashville is likely going to lose a very good defenseman in Ellis or Ekholm, (while protecting Weber, Josi and Ellis or Ekholm) I wonder if the #1 can be packaged up and bring back Weber to save them losing a younger player? That #1 has a lot of value and, while Weber's contract sucks, he's exactly what would turn this team around. What would the add be? Does Nashville have to retain salary for it to work? We're kind of blowing our salary cap wad on this.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #669351 is a reply to message #669348 ]
Tue, 22 March 2016 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

If the Oilers got lucky and won the lottery this year. I'd be going all out to get Larsson from the Yotes. I have no idea if the Yotes would even pick up the phone but maybe, just maybe if they could get Matthews, a Scottsdale kid, they might listen. Larsson is a legit #1. Plays in all situations. scores a ton of the points and the best part is he's only going to be 25 in July.

This only works if the Oilers luck out. For a place where hockey is an after thought and there are plans in the works for a new building. Having a local super star WOULD sell tickets. Americans are incredibly patriotic and really hold their own in high regard. So I would think a Scottsdale super star would be more of a draw for the casual fan than Swedish super Dman Larsson. I know Larsson is not a right shot but who cares, he's that good.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 March 2016 11:38]

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #669352 is a reply to message #669351 ]
Tue, 22 March 2016 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 22 March 2016 10:36

If the Oilers got lucky and won the lottery this year. I'd be going all out to get Larsson from the Yotes. I have no idea if the Yotes would even pick up the phone but maybe, just maybe if they could get Matthews, a Scottsdale kid, they might listen. Larsson is a legit #1. Plays in all situations. scores a ton of the points and the best part is he's only going to be 25 in July.

This only works if the Oilers luck out. For a place where hockey is an after thought and there are plans in the works for a new building. Having a local super star WOULD sell tickets. Americans are incredibly patriotic and really hold their own in high regard. So I would think a Scottsdale super star would be more of a draw for the casual fan than Swedish super Dman Larsson. I know Larsson is not a right shot but who cares, he's that good.

If there was ever a time to rig a draft, this might be it. Local kid to the Coyotes, helps salvage a dying franchise, and keep Edm from getting #1.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #669353 is a reply to message #669352 ]
Tue, 22 March 2016 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

I'd bet a lot that Lazar is an Oiler next year after hearing Melnyk's comments today.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #669355 is a reply to message #669353 ]
Tue, 22 March 2016 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Lazar to be what? The Oilers 3rd line center? The Oilers were drouling all over him in 2013.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #669358 is a reply to message #669353 ]
Tue, 22 March 2016 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Skoobz wrote on Tue, 22 March 2016 12:49

I'd bet a lot that Lazar is an Oiler next year after hearing Melnyk's comments today.

What comments?

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #669366 is a reply to message #669358 ]
Tue, 22 March 2016 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

McDavid97 wrote on Tue, 22 March 2016 14:19

What comments?

He basically said he's had it with the team losing and everyone is available.

And to whoever asked - yeah - I could see Lazar as 3C or wing. Could easily see Drai playing the wing next year too which would open this possibility up.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #669362 is a reply to message #669353 ]
Tue, 22 March 2016 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

What is up with Eugene by the way? He is looking rough these days...

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #669363 is a reply to message #669362 ]
Tue, 22 March 2016 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 22 March 2016 14:43

What is up with Eugene by the way? He is looking rough these days...

Well he was dying. He had a liver transplant not that long ago.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #669357 is a reply to message #669351 ]
Tue, 22 March 2016 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 22 March 2016 11:36

Yeah that's my wish too. I'd mentioned in another thread that if I was Arizona I'd want more than just the first for OEL though. Guy is a stud.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #669361 is a reply to message #669357 ]
Tue, 22 March 2016 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 22 March 2016 14:13

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 22 March 2016 11:36

Yeah that's my wish too. I'd mentioned in another thread that if I was Arizona I'd want more than just the first for OEL though. Guy is a stud.

Oh for sure. Not straight up. The Oilers would have to give back a Dman plus the first.

Re: Bold offseason predictions [message #669412 is a reply to message #669361 ]
Wed, 23 March 2016 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So who's gone from the Oilers at the end of the season? Either traded or no resigned. In looking at who the Oilers have listed on their roster. http://oilers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Forwards:
Cracknell - Waiver pick up. Hasn't played much. I doubt they resign him.
Gazdic - Won't be resigned, he's barely played this year.
Lander - Will be dealt. Played a ton early but lately has been in and out of the line up. Hasn't done anything.
Yakupov - No hate intended. I just think the organization wants to move on and based on rumors, I think Yak does as well. I wish him nothing but the best as I like the guy.
Eberle/Nuge - One of them will be dealt for a Dman. I would prefer Eberle but Nuge is probably more valuable.
Korpikoski - It wouldn't shock me if he is moved or bought out. Advanced stats guys say he gets crushed but the coach seems to like him. For me, I think you keep one of Korp or Pakarinen and we all know the coach LOVES Pakarinen.

I see everyone else for forwards staying or being resigned.

Defense:
Clendening- Waiver pick up. Hasn't done much. Doesn't get a lot of mins when playing. Wouldn't be playing if they weren't done 3 Dmen.
Fayne - Played better in the last 1/4 of the season. I wonder how much he would be playing if the Oilers were healthy. He wasn't before. I would see him traded or bought out. Only saving grace is he's a right shot but a 3rd pairing making WAY too much money.
Ference - Bought out or retires.
Gryba - Unless he wants a ton, I think he's resigned. Played well, tough, mean, physical. Right shot. Kills penalties. Perfect 3rd pairing if cheap.
Nikitin - Take your 9 mill and go to the KHL where you belong.
Oesterle - Minors
Pardy - It's him or Gryba. I'd keep Gryba whos younger, meaner and tougher plus a right shot.
Reinhart - Starts in the minors.

Goalie:
Brossoit - I think the Oilers need a vet back up and another year in the minors would do him good.

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Mark McNeill
Next Topic:Bogosian rumours
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca