This day on April 29
None

Happy Birthday To: eightythree, yanner39, Smid4Life, Oil Spill, Ginjanna, Sopranosbaby, epower, Brewer84, rufeo01, OilCup2017

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » McDavidPages (11): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: McDavid [message #653622 is a reply to message #653621 ]
Sat, 06 June 2015 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 06 June 2015 15:33

Goose wrote on Sat, 06 June 2015 15:19

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 06 June 2015 11:39

Eichel killing it at the combine sounds like.

Buffalo Sabres @BuffaloSabres
As of now, Eichel #1 in these tests at #NHLCombine: long jump, vert. jump, aerobic duration, agility R, R-hand grip.

Not really that shocking. NCAA players play fewer games and their season ended earlier so Eichel would have had much more time to train.

Not to mention the fact that the conditioning programs at most big NCAA schools are miles ahead of what major junior teams are doing. I've never understood why junior teams don't invest more in strength and conditioning.

Yup, for sure, it's a very different circumstance for the 2 players. A lot of the time juniors that missed playoffs or out in the 1st round end up performing best. Top prospects that went far or even to the memorial cup are all way below usual weight and do so-so on the tests. Scouts must keep all of that into account, and really I think all they care about is seeing if guys have major issues. They probably care more about the medical tests and interviews than these test results, unless someone does horribly on one or more of them of course.

Still, Eichel's performance was really good for his age and he did play into May at the WHC. He's done a good job getting as close to McDavid as he can.

NCAA facilities will always be better given they can use resources at the university/college. Jr team has what 100 players/staff? BU has approx 75,000 students/staff. Bigger organizations have more to pull from.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: McDavid [message #653623 is a reply to message #653622 ]
Sat, 06 June 2015 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sat, 06 June 2015 17:02

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 06 June 2015 15:33

As of now, Eichel #1 in these tests at #NHLCombine: long jump, vert. jump, aerobic duration, agility R, R-hand grip.

Not really that shocking. NCAA players play fewer games and their season ended earlier so Eichel would have had much more time to train.

Not to mention the fact that the conditioning programs at most big NCAA schools are miles ahead of what major junior teams are doing. I've never understood why junior teams don't invest more in strength and conditioning.

Yup, for sure, it's a very different circumstance for the 2 players. A lot of the time juniors that missed playoffs or out in the 1st round end up performing best. Top prospects that went far or even to the memorial cup are all way below usual weight and do so-so on the tests. Scouts must keep all of that into account, and really I think all they care about is seeing if guys have major issues. They probably care more about the medical tests and interviews than these test results, unless someone does horribly on one or more of them of course.

Still, Eichel's performance was really good for his age and he did play into May at the WHC. He's done a good job getting as close to McDavid as he can.

NCAA facilities will always be better given they can use resources at the university/college. Jr team has what 100 players/staff? BU has approx 75,000 students/staff. Bigger organizations have more to pull from.

I think Eichel has been physically dominant even from a young age before he was in NCAA. For the most part his results were pretty much on par with what everyone expected. Lines up with how he has more of a power game, while a guy like McDavid is more about being shifty and agile.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: McDavid [message #653629 is a reply to message #653621 ]
Sun, 07 June 2015 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 06 June 2015 16:33

In Gare Joyce's book about scouting he talks specifically about teams actually discounting the guys who are in the peak condition a little, as they feel they can do less to improve them. If they have a guy who's putting up big numbers and shows huge skill but who doesn't appear to be training optimally, they see opportunity for improvement that the team can provide.

I doubt many decisions are made at the combine. I think unless the guy shows huge red flags in an interview (Joyce talks about how awkward Kessel was in his interviews, something that still has left a residual bias for Joyce whenever he talks about that player), the decisions are all pretty much made because these guys aren't playing hockey any more, so there's limited reason to change any minds.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: McDavid [message #653630 is a reply to message #653629 ]
Sun, 07 June 2015 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 07 June 2015 23:22

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 06 June 2015 16:33

In Gare Joyce's book about scouting he talks specifically about teams actually discounting the guys who are in the peak condition a little, as they feel they can do less to improve them. If they have a guy who's putting up big numbers and shows huge skill but who doesn't appear to be training optimally, they see opportunity for improvement that the team can provide.

I doubt many decisions are made at the combine. I think unless the guy shows huge red flags in an interview (Joyce talks about how awkward Kessel was in his interviews, something that still has left a residual bias for Joyce whenever he talks about that player), the decisions are all pretty much made because these guys aren't playing hockey any more, so there's limited reason to change any minds.

That makes sense, to actually score points for guys that are a bit behind in physical development. Between 2 guys that performed the same, do you want the guy that did it already near his full physical development? Or the guy that did it as a skinny dude that can't do 1 pullup? :) Of course you still want to make sure the skinny dude is healthy, has good work ethic and has a decent frame to add muscle as he matures, which is all info you can get from the combine as well.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: McDavid [message #653701 is a reply to message #653630 ]
Wed, 10 June 2015 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eedok  is currently offline eedok

No Cups

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHGiUbgWQAI8Hty.jpg
https://twitter.com/SAMMYSAYS2010/status/608445902227972096/ photo/1

Looks like McDavid is having a good time leading up to the draft

Re: McDavid [message #653702 is a reply to message #653701 ]
Wed, 10 June 2015 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

eedok wrote on Wed, 10 June 2015 11:05

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHGiUbgWQAI8Hty.jpg
https://twitter.com/SAMMYSAYS2010/status/608445902227972096/ photo/1

Looks like McDavid is having a good time leading up to the draft

This picture makes me so friggin happy!

Is McDavid that much taller than those two, or is it just the angle?

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: McDavid [message #653703 is a reply to message #653702 ]
Wed, 10 June 2015 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eedok  is currently offline eedok

No Cups

OilPeg wrote on Wed, 10 June 2015 10:17

Crosby is 5'11"
Gretzky is 6'0"
McDavid is 6'1"

Re: McDavid [message #653704 is a reply to message #653703 ]
Wed, 10 June 2015 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

eedok wrote on Wed, 10 June 2015 11:24

OilPeg wrote on Wed, 10 June 2015 10:17

Crosby is 5'11"
Gretzky is 6'0"
McDavid is 6'1"

pictures makes that gap look much bigger.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: McDavid [message #653625 is a reply to message #650219 ]
Sun, 07 June 2015 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

A little bit of McDavid's interview with the Oilers

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/607618804210757632

I see a #2 in the background staying quiet and knowing his place icon_wink

Howson, the ultimate evaluator of talent, sitting in the front for the interview.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: McDavid [message #653626 is a reply to message #653625 ]
Sun, 07 June 2015 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 07 June 2015 15:54

Howson, the ultimate evaluator of talent, sitting in the front for the interview.

Heh, could you fit any more bodies into the interview? Send 2 or 3 guys to talk to the kid, that must be super strange as an 18 year old in a room full of a dozen guys in their 40s, 50s, 60s. Not raging, just think it's funny/odd. Hahha

Re: McDavid [message #653778 is a reply to message #653625 ]
Fri, 12 June 2015 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 07 June 2015 16:54

Watched it again cause they released a 4th part of this series "Connor at Play" here:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=829219&catid =635

But in the 3rd one watching it again, I noticed this shot. Had to be 100% intentional :)

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2q9cgsw.jpg

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: McDavid [message #653841 is a reply to message #650219 ]
Tue, 16 June 2015 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

MacT gone? Nope, window dressing. Howson conducting the interview? Nice, because he got us Nikitin..

No matter what the hockey gods have bestowed to us fans, the inmates run the asylum.

Lowe is not gone.
MacT is not gone.
Howson is not gone.

You have to sit back and wonder, how much pull Chiarelli really has?!?! Yes yes Bob is the guy... pthtt.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 June 2015 10:58]

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: McDavid [message #653843 is a reply to message #653841 ]
Tue, 16 June 2015 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fridge01  is currently offline Fridge01

No Cups

Let's pretend to be positive for second.

Maybe Bob is the man. Maybe Peter is 2nd. And maybe, just maybe MacT and Howson are in those interviews simply to be note takers while Peter is actually thinking and deciding.

Maybe Katz has decided that for punishment both the two of them have to sit and watch as Peter plays with his cool toys and MacT / Howson can no longer touch them as they broke them the first time Katz let them play...

Re: McDavid [message #653849 is a reply to message #653843 ]
Tue, 16 June 2015 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

No Cups

Or maybe PC figured we are drafting this kid no matter what so let's let them do the interview and I can get an idea of how they operate and (d)evaluate talent. This way PC gets a better view into how these clowns built this house of cards.

I remember being in a similar situation many years ago where senior management asked me to partake in the interviews for a job openings with the manager of IT. I was a consultant and thought it a bit strange, but since I had much deeper technical and domain knowledge in the technology we were looking for candidates for I thought it reasonable. After going through the process Senor management asked me for my opinion on the interviews but to my surprise they were not interested in the candidates but in the Managers interview process and they wanted to understand how he was building his team and what qualities he was looking for in the people he was hiring.

PC doesn't need a 3rd party as he has a good reason to be there but he will get some insight into how these guys have operated in the past and some insight into issues he is inheriting.

Renaissance 2015

Re: McDavid [message #653856 is a reply to message #653849 ]
Tue, 16 June 2015 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Well, apparently Brian Burke thinks we are in better hands. Assuming the source below used his actual words, the Circus is leaving town and there respectable people in charge.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpost.php?p=5331157&post count=47

Re: McDavid [message #653857 is a reply to message #653856 ]
Tue, 16 June 2015 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Tue, 16 June 2015 15:02

Well, apparently Brian Burke thinks we are in better hands. Assuming the source below used his actual words, the Circus is leaving town and there respectable people in charge.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpost.php?p=5331157&post count=47

What's the score since Lowe and Burke fought each other in the media and predicted the other sucks and will fail?

Burke 6
Lowe -24

?

Or is Lowe negative infinity now since he no longer has any say in hockey ops and likely could never get another NHL management job somewhere else.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 June 2015 15:36]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: McDavid [message #653888 is a reply to message #653843 ]
Wed, 17 June 2015 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Fridge01 wrote on Tue, 16 June 2015 11:06

Maybe Bob is the man. Maybe Peter is 2nd. And maybe, just maybe MacT and Howson are in those interviews simply to be note takers while Peter is actually thinking and deciding.

Maybe Katz has decided that for punishment both the two of them have to sit and watch as Peter plays with his cool toys and MacT / Howson can no longer touch them as they broke them the first time Katz let them play...

Agreed, I was getting sour on the idea the clown band was still together.. and the explanations after my comment does have credence. Maybe it's PC's management style to evaluate his management talent by watching them perform with interviews and whatever other tasks. I didn't mean to bring down the mood, I just see MacT and Howson and my blood boils a tad.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: McDavid [message #653897 is a reply to message #653888 ]
Wed, 17 June 2015 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 17 June 2015 08:53

Fridge01 wrote on Tue, 16 June 2015 11:06

Agreed, I was getting sour on the idea the clown band was still together.. and the explanations after my comment does have credence. Maybe it's PC's management style to evaluate his management talent by watching them perform with interviews and whatever other tasks. I didn't mean to bring down the mood, I just see MacT and Howson and my blood boils a tad.

I was listening to Gregor rant yesterday about how people shouldn't worry about Lowe and MacT and their roles in the organization, and how Lowe's role has been minimal in hockey ops for years. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

I understand why media guys will trot out this line. First of all, those guys have been great leakers of information. As long as they're still in the organization, the channels are still potentially open. Secondly, many of the media guys are friends with the Old Boys Club. Thirdly, the organization has been very protective of those guys over the years, and they have doled out punishments in the past for those who criticize Lowe and MacT (see Spector's benching around Christmas time following his e-mail suggesting none of them have done enough to keep their jobs).

That said, there are issues with keeping them on board:

1) Perception - This is something the Oilers have generally been pretty clueless about throughout the organization. Despite desperately wanting to be perceived well (thus all the leaks about what they wanted to do, tried to do, almost did, considered doing, etc.), they fail to see how their actions affect perception. They want to send a message that they have great players, so they talk up the core and talk about how they need to get the right players to surround them - but fail to realize that in doing that, they're sending messages to the players considered (and often named as being) part of the core and those who are not, and to other teams about who is valued and who isn't.

I think there's a similar perception issue with retaining these guys. Lowe has presided over one of the worst decades of hockey for a franchise in NHL history. MacTavish came in and actually made a horrible situation even worse, turning a club that had a couple of up arrows in to a bottom feeder again and leading to this season - the worst season in team history. These guys have defined incompetence in hockey operations. Keeping them on in senior positions despite this unparalleled failure is baffling. Yes, they're not in the roles they were in a couple of months ago, but like shuffling Kelly Buchberger around the organization, it looks like there are a few individuals who are untouchable in Oilers organization and they've once again kept senior positions where they may come to influence hockey decisions again at some point.

I think if you want to have a culture of accountability, you can't make senior people exempt from that. I believe it does affect the perception of the team both within and without when you have a bunch of untouchables in the organization.

2) Influence - the organization is full of people brought in and promoted by Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish. A lot of their loyalties may not lie with Nicholson and Chiarelli. There may be lingering resentment towards the new administration given that they may have been pretty happy with things the way they were. That could be an issue in any change-over, but when you keep the same guys in the room? It can really add to the politics within the organization and make the job harder for the new guys.

I'm hopeful that there is a large purge from the organization over the next few months. The more people that Chiarelli hires in to key positions, the less danger there is of people trying to undermine them, or continuing to move along old reporting lines - ie. taking info to MacTavish first before giving it to Chiarelli.

3) Relationship with the Owner - It's no secret that MacTavish and Lowe have very close relationships with Darryl Katz. This could pose problems in the future if they are unhappy in their roles and don't like what Chiarelli does. In Chiarelli's last role, he had a former hockey player who he didn't see eye to eye with who undermined his role and eventually got rid of him with the first stumble. Hopefully the Oilers are smart enough to give Chiarelli the rope he needs and to understand that he's not going to be perfect and may yet make some mistakes. But it isn't helpful when you have spurned guys within the firm who have the owner's ear and may bend it anytime that they don't agree with the new boss.

Honestly, I hope that we're in a period here like what we saw with Nonis in Toronto where the new administration is keeping these guys for a little continuity while they make decisions on people. I hope, like with Nonis, that we see guys like MacTavish and Howson moved along within the next year and replaced with people that Chiarelli can trust (I have given up hope that Lowe will ever be removed from the organization - certainly in his new role, he's not accountable to Chiarelli so only Nicholson could drop the axe). But I feel there are reasons to be leery about those guys remaining in the organization and what it could mean to the team in the future and that it's not fair or accurate for the local media to portray those concerns as completely off the wall.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: McDavid [message #653920 is a reply to message #653897 ]
Wed, 17 June 2015 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
addicted2oil  is currently offline addicted2oil

No Cups

Does anybody know what time the draft is on the 26th?having trouble finding it, but need to watch!!

Re: McDavid [message #653925 is a reply to message #653920 ]
Wed, 17 June 2015 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Yeah it's not posted anywhere, odd I saw the commercial the other day on Sportsnet and it's nowhere on their site.

I went to the brodcast schedule and screencapped Friday afternoon, this is Mountain Time :

http://i.imgur.com/cYbC6xB.jpg

5:00 pm!

McDavid!!

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: McDavid [message #653934 is a reply to message #653925 ]
Wed, 17 June 2015 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
addicted2oil  is currently offline addicted2oil

No Cups

Thanks!!Can't wait!!!

Re: McDavid [message #654121 is a reply to message #653934 ]
Mon, 22 June 2015 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

A decent interview with Connor and Bobby Mac

http://www.tsn.ca/video/connor-mcdavid-conversation-1.314854

Renaissance 2015

Re: McDavid [message #654229 is a reply to message #650219 ]
Wed, 24 June 2015 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Doesn't look like Gene Principe got off on the right foot with Connor McDavid :

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mcdavid-not-getting-ahead -of-himself-with-draft-thoughts/?row=0&row_ids=1617477

Just wait until the poor kid has to listen to his bad puns throughout the year.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: McDavid [message #654230 is a reply to message #654229 ]
Wed, 24 June 2015 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 24 June 2015 16:16

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mcdavid-not-getting-ahead -of-himself-with-draft-thoughts/?row=0&row_ids=1617477

He's definitely gonna be seeing a lot of super fanboy Gene! He should just be thankful that the Oiler PPV's are done and he doesn't have to deal with Gene trying to catch him for a live post game interview just as he gets out of the shower with nothing but a towel on.

Hmm...just to note, looks like Gene is letting his hair get a bit out of control again.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: McDavid [message #654232 is a reply to message #654229 ]
Wed, 24 June 2015 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I think he was just thinking.. don't look at his hair... DON'T LOOK AT HIS HAIR... so curly.. so afro-y..so soft. :)

Generally Disappointed.

Re: McDavid [message #655263 is a reply to message #654232 ]
Thu, 02 July 2015 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 24 June 2015 16:29

I think he was just thinking.. don't look at his hair... DON'T LOOK AT HIS HAIR... so curly.. so afro-y..so soft. :)

Gene is so bad with his puns. How come he keeps his job after every coach firing?

Re: McDavid [message #654234 is a reply to message #654229 ]
Wed, 24 June 2015 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 24 June 2015 15:16

Heh didn't seem bad, just one too early question.

Just wait till his first NBC game with Pierre "The Creeper" MacGuire and he'll be glad he's safe in western Canada.

Re: McDavid [message #654235 is a reply to message #654234 ]
Wed, 24 June 2015 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 24 June 2015 17:03

Just wait till his first NBC game with Pierre "The Creeper" MacGuire and he'll be glad he's safe in western Canada.

That clip is out of control. lmao

I wonder if there was some sort of TSN Trade Deadline dare going on. I can't imagine the producers would like Pierre just stand there like that if there wasn't.

Re: McDavid [message #654237 is a reply to message #654235 ]
Wed, 24 June 2015 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 24 June 2015 16:23

nullterm wrote on Wed, 24 June 2015 17:03

That clip is out of control. lmao

I wonder if there was some sort of TSN Trade Deadline dare going on. I can't imagine the producers would like Pierre just stand there like that if there wasn't.

I'd hope, but then Pierre has a body of work...

Re: McDavid [message #654238 is a reply to message #654237 ]
Wed, 24 June 2015 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fridge01  is currently offline Fridge01

No Cups

I've often wondered if the demise of 'Double Dion's' career began when he was injured after Pierre mounted his leg like a dog in heat... I have never seen such open man love than Pierre for Dion - makes Cherry and Gilmour look like they are fighting.

Pierre and Scott Oak are atop the worst interviews in hockey.

Re: McDavid [message #654239 is a reply to message #654238 ]
Wed, 24 June 2015 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Fridge01 wrote on Wed, 24 June 2015 18:23

I've often wondered if the demise of 'Double Dion's' career began when he was injured after Pierre mounted his leg like a dog in heat... I have never seen such open man love than Pierre for Dion - makes Cherry and Gilmour look like they are fighting.

Pierre and Scott Oak are atop the worst interviews in hockey.

Pierre is definitely creepy

Oake I think actually takes pleasure in making players feel awkward. Pierre just does it by being himself.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: McDavid [message #654246 is a reply to message #654239 ]
Thu, 25 June 2015 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Renaissance 2015

Re: McDavid [message #654247 is a reply to message #654229 ]
Thu, 25 June 2015 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

I think people need to start getting used to the fact that McDavid's prodigious talents don't yet extend to interviews. I didn't think there was any "getting off on the wrong foot".

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: McDavid [message #654250 is a reply to message #654247 ]
Thu, 25 June 2015 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 25 June 2015 08:32

I think people need to start getting used to the fact that McDavid's prodigious talents don't yet extend to interviews. I didn't think there was any "getting off on the wrong foot".

Exactly. Imagine you're an 18 year old, barely out of school and you have all this pressure to be a generational talent in professional hockey, and you're 18. (Said twice, because he is 18, third now)

All this time, even before your last season with your OHL team he is being asked the same question, over and over and over again. The answers are the same and seriously, it can burn anyone out.

I'd ask the fanbase of any team to stop looking for holes in Connor's demeanor or any hidden meanings in his mannerisms or inflections in his voice. He's a kid, with quite a lot of pressure on him with everyone is lauding all this attention on him, some may say he should expect it, he deserves it, or he knew what he was getting into. At the end of the day he's an 18 year boy that is trying to find his way around the world that happens to be really good at something.

Still, it must have been distracting looking at Gene's hair.. it's out of control again. :)

Generally Disappointed.

Re: McDavid [message #654251 is a reply to message #654250 ]
Thu, 25 June 2015 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 25 June 2015 09:14

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 25 June 2015 08:32

Exactly. Imagine you're an 18 year old, barely out of school and you have all this pressure to be a generational talent in professional hockey, and you're 18. (Said twice, because he is 18, third now)

All this time, even before your last season with your OHL team he is being asked the same question, over and over and over again. The answers are the same and seriously, it can burn anyone out.

I'd ask the fanbase of any team to stop looking for holes in Connor's demeanor or any hidden meanings in his mannerisms or inflections in his voice. He's a kid, with quite a lot of pressure on him with everyone is lauding all this attention on him, some may say he should expect it, he deserves it, or he knew what he was getting into. At the end of the day he's an 18 year boy that is trying to find his way around the world that happens to be really good at something.

Still, it must have been distracting looking at Gene's hair.. it's out of control again. :)

Getting kind of a Toews vibe from McDavid. Reserved, to the point, serious. Doesn't seem to have any interest in talking himself up and is just 100% about hockey and trying to win. I love it.

Eichel seems to enjoy the attention a bit more and talking about himself. Getting a bit of a Seguin vibe from him.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 June 2015 09:22]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: McDavid [message #654266 is a reply to message #654251 ]
Thu, 25 June 2015 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 25 June 2015 09:20

Eichel seems to enjoy the attention a bit more and talking about himself. Getting a bit of a Seguin vibe from him.

Weird observation of the day - Eichel's head looks too small for his body.

I saw a picture of McDavid and Eichel yesterday and Eichel looks like his head is half the size of McDavid's, despite his much bigger frame. It's odd.

Re: McDavid [message #654271 is a reply to message #654266 ]
Thu, 25 June 2015 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 25 June 2015 10:16

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 25 June 2015 09:20

Weird observation of the day - Eichel's head looks too small for his body.

I saw a picture of McDavid and Eichel yesterday and Eichel looks like his head is half the size of McDavid's, despite his much bigger frame. It's odd.

Just like little head Tom Poti!

Re: McDavid [message #655259 is a reply to message #654271 ]
Thu, 02 July 2015 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

HO LEE CRAP.

https://twitter.com/HockeyWebCast/status/616708500345913345

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: McDavid [message #655260 is a reply to message #655259 ]
Thu, 02 July 2015 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TeemaJeema  is currently offline TeemaJeema

No Cups

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 02 July 2015 15:47

HO LEE CRAP.

https://twitter.com/HockeyWebCast/status/616708500345913345

Makes it look effortless.

Oiler Fan For Life.
Go Esks Go!

Re: McDavid [message #654257 is a reply to message #654250 ]
Thu, 25 June 2015 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

Re: McDavid [message #654268 is a reply to message #650219 ]
Thu, 25 June 2015 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Well, if Larry King says it, it must be true.

Larry King @kingsthings
The next big hockey superstar will be @cmcdavid97. He’ll be on the @EdmontonOilers, watch this kid.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (11): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #57)
Next Topic:Pregame: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #57)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca